PDA

View Full Version : Epic accidental finds

Morph Bark
2011-11-26, 09:26 AM
So I was just browsing Wikipedia looking for information on Chinese martial arts, the zodiac, ninjas and mythological creatures when suddenly, via the ninjas and their ninja clans, I end up on a page of an old Japanese warrior clan with a very recognizable clan crest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_H%C5%8Dj%C5%8D_clan).

I was subsequently stunned in amazement.

Ever had such a thing happen to you?

Starscream
2011-11-26, 11:10 AM
I would totally play a Zelda game where Link is a ninja.

I once stumbled upon a garage sale where they were selling issues of Supergirl and Green Lantern that dated back to the 1960s. In good condition. For a dollar each.

And the lady running the place was surprised I even paid that. After all, they were old and yellow, and the covers only said $0.15.

Had to hold in my maniacal laughter until I got to the car.

Liffguard
2011-11-26, 11:37 AM
I'm confused. Why stunned amazement?

irenicObserver
2011-11-26, 11:42 AM
Because that crest is exactly like the Triforce from the Legend of Zelda series.
(duh!)

@Starscream: shame on you :smallwink:

Eldan
2011-11-26, 12:40 PM
I think everyone who played Shogun: Total War already knew that one :smallwink:

Sanguine
2011-11-26, 01:08 PM

Or the Sengoku period scenario in Civ3.

Morph Bark
2011-11-26, 01:35 PM

Or the Sengoku period scenario in Civ3.

The former I did not even know existed. The latter I've never come across, let alone having played.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-26, 01:59 PM
So I was just browsing Wikipedia looking for information on Chinese martial arts, the zodiac, ninjas and mythological creatures when suddenly, via the ninjas and their ninja clans, I end up on a page of an old Japanese warrior clan with a very recognizable clan crest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_H%C5%8Dj%C5%8D_clan).

I was subsequently stunned in amazement.

You didn't know the Triforce was based on an old Japanese design?:smallconfused: Even I knew that and know next to nothing about other cultures, though I guess watching anime might explain why I knew that.

Eldan
2011-11-26, 02:16 PM
The former I did not even know existed. The latter I've never come across, let alone having played.

Well, it was the first total war, even before Medieval. So, pretty old by now, though Shogun 2 just came out.

Yora
2011-11-26, 03:04 PM

Yes, it did. For example with exactly that same Hojo crest. :smallbiggrin:

Some years ago, the bus stop where I had to wait every morning was on the other side of the street from a church, and one day I noticed that the sign above the door was almost exactly the same as the one of Talona in the Forgotten Realms.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061222101516/forgottenrealms/images/7/7c/Talona_symbol.jpg

Only with the tip pointing up, but the three tears inside where clearly visible.

Here (http://v2.cache2.c.bigcache.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/51756507.jpg?redirect_counter=1) you can clearly see it, within the golden disk over the door.

Traab
2011-11-26, 04:59 PM
Meh, I never knew what it was from, but thats more to do with my not caring enough to think about it than any huge mystery. :p

Kindablue
2011-11-26, 06:03 PM

They were very proficient at building castles, apparently.

Whiffet
2011-11-26, 08:05 PM
I once stumbled upon a garage sale where they were selling issues of Supergirl and Green Lantern that dated back to the 1960s. In good condition. For a dollar each.

And the lady running the place was surprised I even paid that. After all, they were old and yellow, and the covers only said $0.15.

Had to hold in my maniacal laughter until I got to the car.

Taking advantage of garage sales is awesome, isn't it?

I found the original unaltered versions of each of the Star Wars OT. Priced at just under a dollar each. I too had to hold back my maniacal laughter.

Pokonic
2011-11-26, 08:48 PM
Once found a genuine gilded ball in my (late) grandmothers basement, along with several other very, very old things, the most impressive of which was a jade doll. I mean, pre Great Leap Forword stuff. Heck, pre 1900 stuff!

I suppose I was lucky to get to the states with the stuff, otherwise I dont think it would have been in our possesion for long.:smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2011-11-26, 09:02 PM
I found this one video stumbling around youtube. Some failed pilot; it said unaired in the description so maybe this thing never even was broadcasted which is a shame because I liked it.

The pilot is called Constant Payne, and aside from the title which I thought was kind of lame, it was very entertaining. It takes place in a sci-fi, not too distant future setting. Everyone rides around in an airship. The main characters are this daughter and father - mother supposedly died, details weren't given. But the feeling of the show was very Avatar: the Last Airbender. The animation was pretty good. There's a lot of action. The character designs are stylized but very accurate to human anatomy. There's some kid's humor but it never talks down to you.

The actual plot is just the father driving his kid to school in an airship when they spot this pirating of another airship. The dad leaps aboard and kicks some ass. I think the protagonist would have been the daughter (she's 13 by the way) but the dad was the best part. He's kind of Captain Hammer: he's got cargo pants, a navy t-shirt, big leather gloves and almost the same hair style. The villain is even a mad scientist in a lab coat with big ol' goggles. And the fight scenes with him are great; very fast and action packed, tearing through henchman. The father-daughter relationship is kind of that to Big Daddy-Hit Girl I think but less extreme obviously. I'm assuming at least, this was just a pilot.

Anyway, why was this never made a series!? It was awesome! I'm not sure how long ago it was made so maybe there's a slime glimmer of hope this thing goes to series, but maybe not. Maybe like Korgoth it'll just remain an awesome forgotten pilot.

Terraoblivion
2011-11-26, 10:09 PM
It's obviously pre-Great Leap stuff, the production of Chinese luxury goods kinda stopped with the Communist victory in 1948. Not to mention it's the kind of stuff that nobody made that late, regardless of country.

On the other hand I find it rather improbable that it is pre-Qing. Unless you're suggesting that your grandmother happened to just have picked up three hundred year old antiquities in her youth without your family having a story of either immense wealth or great interest in collecting antiquities. A more likely estimate to me as a historian with a minor in sinology would be late Qing or more likely warlord period. Lots of random crap for foreigners to bring home to brag about their experiences and financial success in China was made in those periods, just like sheer attrition means that even on Chinese hands it was most likely to have been made at that time.

It is true, however, that it was a time of great upheaval where many ancient and priceless artifacts started flowing into the market, most notably in the years following the sack of the Summer Palace. The looting of that Anglo-French campaign as well as the general looting in the Taiping Rebellion and other large scale rebellions during late Qing created a flourishing market for Chinese antiquities. This only got stronger when any kind of real government collapsed following the suppression of the Boxers and only started getting under the most rudimentary control following the Nationalist victory in 1928.

Even if it was an older artifact it was still most likely Qing, though. Fundamentally speaking, even made of durable materials old things tend to break, get lost or sold off and end up in the hands of collectors so the probability of these items surviving more or less safe to reach your grandmother. Unless your family was filthy rich and managed to stay safe and rich enough to not need to pawn off stuff throughout roughly a century of governmental collapse and relatively frequent looting.

Pokonic
2011-11-26, 10:58 PM
Indeed, I doubt even the most filthy rich person today would make a golden ball for actual use besides display.

O my, I did type pre-quin, didnt I.:smalleek: I actualy ment to type it as just pure qin, around just around pre-1900, to be exact, most likely a slight older. My family was not that weathly around that time, so it would have to have been older than that. Of course, it could have been looted, but no one wants to admit, let alwon think, that athey had a reltive who did such things. Yet, I suppose, it makes more sence that to say that it was bought or found by someone.Funny how certian periods of time ingrain themselves into your head.

Unless your family was filthy rich and managed to stay safe and rich enough to not need to pawn off stuff throughout roughly a century of governmental collapse and relatively frequent looting.

Nah, just kind of isolated. I doubt she could even reach the boxes herself, let alown know of them. They where older wooded ones, so I could only guess someone placed them there and never told one of it. Perhapes some old uncle of mine took it and kept it until he died in fighting or such. Who knows? All I see is a sweet find with some connection to history some find should be left forgotten.

BiblioRook
2011-11-26, 11:11 PM
Taking advantage of garage sales is awesome, isn't it?

I spend a lot of time in used bookstores and thrift shops and my knack for finding noteworthy books on the cheap apparently is rather ridiculous.

More then once I've found signed copies of books from authors I liked just... laying around apparently.
My latest rather impressive find was a hardcover omnibus containing one book in a certain series (http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Quicksilver-Lies-Garrett-Files/dp/0451453050/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322367071&sr=1-1) that was utterly out of print hand hard to come by, just $5. I was so surprised at the find that I just started babbling about the unlikelihood of it all to the nearest person (one of the shelvers that worked there) who clearly had no idea what I was going on about nor probably cared.

Gnoman
2011-11-27, 04:59 AM
At work I found an English first edition of Tolstoy's Kreutzer Sonata in the pulping bin. The computer didn't know what to do with it, so it sorted it into the trash. This rarely happens, but extremely rare books sometimes confuse the syste,

thubby
2011-11-27, 08:21 AM
last year i managed to find a Shahrazad (mtg card) in a stack of miscellaneous mtg/yugioh/some other game i didnt recognize for 10 bucks at a garage sale.

(that 1 card alone is worth over $30)

Feytalist
2011-11-28, 02:56 AM
I once found a leatherbound complete collection of Shakespeare's works at a local secondhand bookstore. Complete with grimoire-style clasps and locks and everything. It still cost a bit, but it was honestly too good a find to pass up. Good condition, too.

I also once found what was apparently a first edition playbook of The Importance of Being Ernest. Made a good birthday gift to a friend of mine who loves Wilde. Oscar, not Olivia.

I love secondhand bookstores.

BiblioRook
2011-11-28, 09:53 PM
Wow
I'm still not sure what to think of this one, if it's epic or just plain random.
In today's thrift store run I ended up coming across, I kid you not, a 470 paged manual on the complete care and behavior... for monkeys.

Pity it's just vol. 1 of a two volume set, I would really be interested in seeing the rest of it (considering I'm actually planning on going into animal behavior), but looking it up I think I'll have to settle for what I got considering both volumes together costs $150.