PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you just need to command the damned Tarrasque [3.5 PrC, PEACH]

Sgt. Cookie
2011-11-26, 09:55 AM
The Beastmaster

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy228/Darth_J/Ffxibeastmaster.jpg

To command another creature is a strange act. To do so you must force your mind and your will upon them. Clerics can do this to undead or creatures of their domain. But this control is... fleeting, at best. They do not understand nor control this ability, merely channel it. Beastmasters, on the other hand, do know. For they were born with it. But... "Beastmaster" is not a name they take, as it implies that animals are beneath them, and are forced to obey. Instead, they choose to.

Game rule information:
Beastmasters have the following game statistics.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
BaB: +5
Special: Access to 2nd level animal companions (Black bear, ape, etc)

Hit Dice: d4

Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int
The Beastmaster's class skills are: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle animal (Cha), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Knowledge (Geography) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis) and Survival (Wis)

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Max number of commanded HD

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Command animals, Talk with animals|5

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Command dire animals, Command non-true dragons|10

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Command vermin, Command Plants|15

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Command swarms, Command oozes|20

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Command magical beasts (Large)|50

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Command though companion, Command Aberrations|60

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Command magical beasts (All), Command Elementals|70

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Command non-humanoid extraplanar creatures|80

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|Aid from the wild|90

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|Command True Dragons|200[/table]

Class features
The following are considered class features for the Beastmaster.

Weapon and armour proficiencies: The Beast master gains no new weapon proficiencies.

Command animals (Su)
On the Beastmaster's turn, he may select an animal(s), but not dire animals, that he has enough HD control for (Beastmaster class levels X 5). The Beastmaster must have line of sight for this to work. The Beastmaster may then select one of the animals' abilities or have it do something that takes no longer than a full round action to perform. The animal then uses the ability or performs the action on the Beastmaster's current turn. The animal(s) may not make more than a 5ft step, however, and the control is relinquished as soon as the Beastmaster's turn ends. This does not use up the animals' turn and can be used whether or not the animal(s) has acted in that turn.

The commanded animal will perform the action without question or hesitation. Even if it would obviously cause harm to the animal.

Familiars, animal companions and special mounts are immune to this ability, due to them having too close a link with someone. Polymorphed, wild shaped, etc, into the shape of an animal functions as normal. This ability works on summoned and called creatures.

Talk with animals (Ex)
One of the first things a Beastmaster learns, is that even animals have their own language. And learning it is the first step to commanding them. Upon attaining the first Beastmaster class level the Beastmaster is considered to constantly be under the effect of the Talk with animals spell. However, due to the Beastmaster learning the language of the animals as though he were learning celestial, it is treated as an Extraordinary ability.

Command Dire animals (Su)
The Beastmaster has grown in power, and no animal can say no to the Beastmaster's "requests". The Beastmaster may command Dire animals as per the Command animals class feature.

Command Non-true dragons (Su)
The Beastmaster has learned that he may command other creatures apart from animals, Pseudodragons and the like are most likely to be affected by him. The Beastmaster may command any creature with the "Dragon" type that is not a True Dragon as per the Command animals class feature.

Command Vermin (Su)
To many, animals and vermin are the same thing. In reality, vermin work a little differently to animals, and are often commanded as such. The Beastmaster may command Vermin as per the Command animals class feature.

Command Plants (Su)
The magics used to change animals are often used to change plants as well, and control them is where the Beastmaster learns to manipulate these magics, for when stronger and more powerful creatures are on the horizon. The Beastmaster may command Plants as per the Command animals class feature.

Command swarms (Su)
The Beastmaster knows that a thousand tiny foes can be just as powerful and as deadly as any single creature. The Beastmaster may command swarms as per the Command animals class feature. However, the Beastmaster may force a swarm of diminutive or fine creatures to use a full round action and dissipate itself.

Command Oozes (Su)
Oozes are creatures unto themselves, and creatures are nothing more than those without the will to resist the Beastmaster. The Beastmaster may command Oozes as per the Command animals class feature.

Command Magical beasts (Large) (Su)
By now, the Beastmaster has grown in power and strength, commanding all but the strongest of will. The Beastmaster may command Magical beasts that are large size or smaller. The Beastmaster's controllable HD increases to Beastmaster class levels X 10.

Command through companion (Ex, command abilities are still Su)
The Beastmaster has attained much more control over animals, and is now able to have his own companion command other animals too. The Beastmaster may use any of his command abilities through his animal companion. Only the animal companion needs line of sight to the commanded animal, but commanding this way puts a strain on the companion, and thus only half the normal HD may be commanded in this way.

Command Aberrations (Su)
Aberrations, filthy, twisted beings that have no right to even exist. But they, like all things, have a time and a place. And ability to be commanded. The Beastmaster may command Aberrations as per the Command animals class feature.

Command Magical beasts (All) (Su)
The Beastmaster's strength is greater than before, and almost every beast, save True Dragons, from the material plane cannot be controlled by him. The Beastmaster may command Magical beasts of any size as per the Command animals class feature.

Command Elementals
Given form and thought, even the elements will take shapes and walk the earth. But it is still a beast, no matter where it came from. The Beastmaster may command Elementals as per the Command animals class feature.

Command non-humanoid extra-planar creatures (Su)
The Beastmaster has learned that beasts from other planes are just as animistic and commandable as anything on the Material plane. The Beastmaster may command any Non-humanoid* extra-planar creature as per the Command animal's class feature.

*"Humanoid" does not refer to type. In the context of this ability, "Humanoid" refers to any creature that is bipedal, has a head, and no greater than about four arms. Things such as wings or horns, to a certain degree, do not factor in to decide if a creature is humanoid.

Aid from the wild (Ex)
Nature. In it's most primal and primitive form it is an energy. And like may forms, in can be manipulated, controlled, or called on for help. The Beastmaster sends out a verbal "request" to nearby animals for help, and it is usually heeded. This functions as summon nature's ally II, with changes as follows:
It is an Extraordinary ability.
It can be used at will. (Though only one "casting" may be in effect at any one time)
It does not function if the Beastmaster cannot speak.

Command True Dragons (Su)
Dragons. The very name brings fear to most people. However, they can be slain. People know this, and often hire adventurers to do so. But, like any other beast, it can be controled. By this level the Beastmaster's knowledge and force of will can command nearly everything animistic and non humanoid. Even creatures as ancient as they. The Beastmaster can, finally, command True Dragons as per the Command animals class feature.

PEACH
2011-11-26, 10:29 AM
Well, I'd like to see actual class features for this so I can judge it accurately, but I can hazard a guess that when you can grab a 50 HD creature at 10th level, it's *probably* going to be pretty insane.

EDIT: just as an example, you know what weighs in at just under 50 HD and is a magical beast? The Tarrasque.

Also EDIT: This also has another problem: It doesn't *do* anything, and is almost entirely dead levels; the class is basically just there for the animals it controls, which is really boring. It needs some real features, though honestly this could easily be a 10 or even 5 level ranger/druid PrC rather than a full base class if there aren't enough features to give it.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-11-26, 11:22 AM
Ummm, you HAVE seen the whole "WIP" thing in the title right? This is nowhere near done.

PEACH
2011-11-26, 11:32 AM
You also said "PEACH" in the title. And I've seen a lot of homebrew; I can pretty much make a good guess about how this class will turn out just from your table.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-11-26, 11:34 AM
I take your point. I had to post this as I was rushed out of my house and wanted to continue it.

Steward
2011-11-26, 08:02 PM
Dude, this class sounds awesome. I don't know what 'Command' means in this context yet but if it's anything like what I think it is you can get a Tarrasque by level 10.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-11-28, 08:25 AM
First: A couple of things

1. This will become a PrC. I've slept on it and discussed it, this works better as a PrC, rather than a base class.

2. If anyone has played Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, this class is based off the Nu Mou job of the same name. And thus, "Command" works like it does in the game

For those of you that havn't played it, "command" in this context works as such:

On the Beastmaster's turn, he may select (a) creature(s) that he has enough HD control for. The Beastmaster may then select one of the creatures' abilities or have it do something that takes no longer than a full round action to perform. The creature then uses the ability or performs the action on the Beastmaster's current turn. The creature(s) may not make more than a 5ft step, however, and the control is relinquished as soon as the Beastmaster's turn ends. This does not use up the creatures' turn and can be used whether or not the creature(s) has acted in that turn.

Lert, A.
2011-11-28, 09:18 AM
Dude, this class sounds awesome. I don't know what 'Command' means in this context yet but if it's anything like what I think it is you can get a Tarrasque by level 10.
Not unless it changed to a Large creature and I wasn't informed.

You'll just have to wait until level 15. :smallwink:

Steward
2011-11-28, 11:33 AM
Not unless it changed to a Large creature and I wasn't informed.

You'll just have to wait until level 15. :smallwink:

Okay, okay, you got me. Still, that's a Hell of a reason to avoid multiclassing.

EDIT: And, in case that's not awesome enough, you get to snag pretty much all extraplanar creatures two level later. Hopefully the OP will expand that to include even an opponent's summoned and called creatures (it is a seventeenth level ability, after all, so it's not unreasonable for it to be able to compete with high-level spells!). Can you imagine -- your opponents use Planar Binding to call in 4 Solars; they think they've got you beat, but as soon as they finish their incantation, BAM! Those CR 23 Outsiders are yours -- well at least for one of their actions.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-11-28, 11:42 AM
You probably missed it. So I will say it again. Clearly.

This is going to become a PrC

Also, a Solar is humanoid.

It will affect summoned creatures, but not familiars, animal companions or special mounts. Shapeshifted, it will also affect.

Steward
2011-11-28, 04:20 PM
This is going to become a PrC

Even so, being strong enough to command a Tarrasque for any period of time is a formidable ability. It might seem unbalanced to some but personally I think that such a strong ability is more than comparable to the abilities that a druid or a wizard might get at the same level.

Also, a Solar is humanoid.

Er, you probably missed it, but solars are outsiders (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm), not humanoids. They can shapeshift into humanoids with their change shape ability but that ability doesn't change their type or subtype. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#changeShape)

It will affect summoned creatures, but not familiars, animal companions or special mounts. Shapeshifted, it will also affect.

So you're definitely ruling out letting this spell affect creatures that are called rather than strictly summoned? And when you say 'shapeshifted', does that mean the power would affect the subject of a 'polymorph' spell?

Sgt. Cookie
2011-11-29, 05:02 AM
Er, you probably missed it, but solars are outsiders (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm), not humanoids. They can shapeshift into humanoids with their change shape ability but that ability doesn't change their type or subtype. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#changeShape)

For the purposes of the ability, "humanoid" refers to appearance. Not type.

So you're definitely ruling out letting this spell affect creatures that are called rather than strictly summoned?

Called and summoned.

And when you say 'shapeshifted', does that mean the power would affect the subject of a 'polymorph' spell?

Yes, anything who's current form is that of a controllable beast is affected.

Morph Bark
2011-11-29, 05:17 AM
First: A couple of things

1. This will become a PrC. I've slept on it and discussed it, this works better as a PrC, rather than a base class.

For a PrC, I think you should lower the level 10 amount of HD in creatures you can control. 200 is a lot and you could get a small band of high-HD, high-CR creatures with that. Therefore, make sure you have CR/HD limitations per creature too.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-11-30, 07:15 AM
For a PrC, I think you should lower the level 10 amount of HD in creatures you can control. 200 is a lot and you could get a small band of high-HD, high-CR creatures with that. Therefore, make sure you have CR/HD limitations per creature too.

Only for a single attack on the Beastmaster's turn and then the creatures are right back to ripping the Beastmaster limb from bloody limb.

At level 10 in this PrC, you'd be what, lvl 17/18?

Steward
2011-11-30, 07:50 AM
Only for a single attack on the Beastmaster's turn and then the creatures are right back to ripping the Beastmaster limb from bloody limb.

At level 10 in this PrC, you'd be what, lvl 17/18?

What is the earliest level that you think a character should enter this prestige class?

Sgt. Cookie
2011-11-30, 11:19 AM
Earliest I've found is lvl 7.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-12-02, 11:27 AM
UPDATE:

The Beastmaster PrC is now finished.

Steward
2011-12-02, 12:25 PM
First, I just wanted to say that I love that you're embracing the Tarrasque commanding thing. It's really a neat feature to have and it's fairly balanced, especially when compared to what primary casters have access to at that level.