PDA

View Full Version : Beet The Vandel Buster

Deth Muncher
2011-11-27, 03:00 AM
Okay. Does anyone remember this? It's a series that is, basically, an RPG in comicbook form - you have your spunky hero, his romantic interest sidekick, and the go off killing monsters, getting friends, and gaining life experience the whole way.

For those of you not in the know, though, it's a lot darker than it sounds - I won't spoil it here if you don't know it, but really, there's no reason you shouldn't - the series got put on hiatus in 2006 when the illustrator fell ill.

Which leads me to my next point - there were two anime series that came out about the show. I have not seen them, but have you? Are they good? Are they faithful to the books (as far as they go, that is)? I'm dying to know.

If you haven't read this series, by the way, you should find a used book store somewhere nearby your house and pick it up - it only ever made it to 12 issues. The anime I think got one DVD released in America before the localization went kaput.

Knaight
2011-11-27, 07:55 AM
I read them. They are stupid and terrible in so many ways, and yet fun and enjoyable reads nonetheless. Plus, for all of its flaws, it does have some very nice action sequences. Slade's fight against Phantom Beltorze, the whole Grineed fiasco (including his two henchmen who actually deserve the name), both are very nice. The anime, however, is not very good.

Sanguine
2011-11-27, 08:20 AM
I read the first volume years ago, I enjoyed it but I was never able to find any of the other volumes.

Knaight
2011-11-27, 08:27 AM
I read the first volume years ago, I enjoyed it but I was never able to find any of the other volumes.

Barnes and Noble used to stock it. Otherwise, there is the matter of the internet.

erikun
2011-11-27, 10:58 AM
Hah, I remember reading this. Issue 12 sound about where I left off as well, and I don't really recall it progressing much further than that. It reminds me a bit of Kekkaishi or other action manga that didn't run through the DBZ power spiral.

Deth Muncher
2011-11-27, 11:52 AM
I read them. They are stupid and terrible in so many ways, and yet fun and enjoyable reads nonetheless. Plus, for all of its flaws, it does have some very nice action sequences. Slade's fight against Phantom Beltorze, the whole Grineed fiasco (including his two henchmen who actually deserve the name), both are very nice. The anime, however, is not very good.

I feel like this series kind of falls into So Bad Its Good sometimes. Would you agree? It's so very much standard shonen, and yet on the other hand, thee are parts that just make me chuckle. (Kissu's constant existential crises, for example.)

Knaight
2011-11-27, 12:01 PM
I feel like this series kind of falls into So Bad Its Good sometimes. Would you agree? It's so very much standard shonen, and yet on the other hand, thee are parts that just make me chuckle. (Kissu's constant existential crises, for example.)

That would be my opinion on it. Kissu's existential crises are one example. Slade is a ridiculous caricature you can't help but like. The whole Beet-Paula relationship is patently absurd and cliche at every level, but oddly compelling nonetheless. Milfa is hauling around a weapon that makes Final Fantasy gear look realistic, yet every fight scene featuring it is actually very good. Vandels, with their stars and monster bucks are almost impossible to take seriously, yet you end up liking every one of them in some way. It basically lives in So Bad It's Good, and takes brief breaks into the legitimately good in a few points, such as the fight scenes.

Kurien
2011-11-27, 01:38 PM
Hey, I didn't expect this to appear as a topic! :smallsmile:
I agree about the plot, setting and characters being cliché, but like what Deth Muncher and Knaight said, all these things lend it a certain charm.

What sold it for me was the high quality of the art. The backgrounds, and the fire in particular were some of the most precise and detailed I've seen in manga.

I've read all twelve volumes of the manga. Haven't really watched the anime adaptations though. As Knaight said, they're not as good.

I'm not so sure about it avoiding the common shonen "DBZ power spiral" though. Towards the last volume the high level Vandels (Baron) dramatically outclassed every single Buster, even putting Beet down for the count. And there were hints that there was a greater tier of power yet to be unlocked, one that would put Beet on a level far beyond the normal Buster.

Knaight
2011-11-27, 10:39 PM
I'm not so sure about it avoiding the common shonen "DBZ power spiral" though. Towards the last volume the high level Vandels (Baron) dramatically outclassed every single Buster, even putting Beet down for the count. And there were hints that there was a greater tier of power yet to be unlocked, one that would put Beet on a level far beyond the normal Buster.

I don't expect it to avoid it. I expect it to embrace it fully, to the point of near caricature, and somehow be enjoyable nonetheless. It has already done so to some extent - look at the three fights against phantom Beltorze. In the first, Beet gets kicked around heavily, in the second Slade (who is comparable to Beet) manages to do some damage before losing, and may well have won if he hadn't been cocky. In the third, Beet beats the tar out of Beltorze using a brand new discovery. That isn't the first time that has happened either, as Frausky and Grineed both show, Plus, phantom Beltorze was equivalent to a five star vandel, and we see one of them show up leading a horde of monsters right after the fight against Grineed. It then proceeds to be taken down in moments, by a thrown rock no less. And this is just what we see of Beet - Paula seems to be doing the same thing, judging by what she did to Grineed's arm, and what Kissu said about Saiga development.