PDA

View Full Version : Music you are embarrassed to like

Yora
2011-11-29, 12:49 PM
Since the awful stories thread is doing so well. :smallbiggrin:

Yesterday I got the urge to dig through old boxes to find Madonnas Ray of Light. I really, really don't like pop music at all, but I do like this one. To my excuse, it seems to be reagarded very well by many people, but still... :smallbiggrin:

Soras Teva Gee
2011-11-29, 01:30 PM
I occaisonally find frilly non substantive pop songs a lot of fun. And 80s music, just 80s music. No guarantees though with either category.

Now showtunes I'm quite proud to enjoy.

Kindablue
2011-11-29, 02:55 PM
I don't think that I can take it
Because it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again!
Oh nooooooo! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WHx0B90FUc&feature=related)

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-11-30, 12:02 AM
Two words: JETHRO TULL. :smallredface:

Moff Chumley
2011-11-30, 12:52 AM
I honestly don't have any. I am the first to admit I think California Gurls is, among other things, a damn funky song. And it's hard to get more embarrassing than that. :smalltongue:

Feytalist
2011-11-30, 02:01 AM
Hey, Jethro Tull is way awesome. :smalltongue:

I proudly listen to most 80s music, even those ridiculous synthfests. Hell, even hair metal :smallbiggrin:

I'm a bit worried about my current apparent addiction to world fusion. Whatever the heck that is.

Shadow of the Sun
2011-11-30, 02:05 AM
I honestly like Party Rock Anthem.

Does that count?

The_Admiral
2011-11-30, 02:27 AM
Does the Megas XLR theme song count for anything?

Aotrs Commander
2011-11-30, 05:28 AM
I will cop to the fact that, of the three only non-soundtrack CDs I own, and thus music I listen to, two are Shania Twain (which isn't really anything to be worried about...)

The last is Hannah Montana...

I think I'm winning...

Spiryt
2011-11-30, 06:18 AM

What's so embarrassing about Jethro Tull?

In my case it quite obviously would be quite a few pop songs that from the very foundation are very catchy, and being everywhere, they catch sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3rDMJERl64

Feytalist
2011-11-30, 06:42 AM
Presumably Ian Anderson's flute playing.

Blistering flute solos, indeed.

Ecalsneerg
2011-11-30, 08:33 AM
Everything Taylor Swift has ever made. The metalhead in me RAGES against it. But to no avail.

thompur
2011-11-30, 09:37 AM

Why would anybody be embarrassed about Jethro Tull? They made great music! Aqualung is amazing, and Heavy Horses is one of my favorite albums of all time!

As to the OP... Spice Girls...:smallredface: I win!:smalltongue:

Radar
2011-11-30, 11:09 AM
Most likely the very song, that made Robot Unicorn, what it is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ISVNC2IB1o). It has awful lyrics (especialy the first lines), simple melody and cheese factor so high, it makes fondue look like a diet dish. Yet, I go back to that song again and again.

Some time ago I might also add Bangles to such a list, but they play way too good, to evoke shame in me.

Everything Taylor Swift has ever made. The metalhead in me RAGES against it. But to no avail.
Immediately though of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EJEhVw_dcw). :smallwink:

H Birchgrove
2011-11-30, 02:11 PM
Enya
Enigma
Daft Punk
Samantha Fox
Epic Sax Guy (Eurovision)

Yora
2011-11-30, 02:19 PM
I honestly like Party Rock Anthem.

Does that count?

*google*

*google*

*loading*

*loading*

*play!*

Oh yeah, that definitely counts. :smalleek:

I like Spice Girls, were among the best stuff you got on radio in the 90s.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-30, 02:52 PM
I refuse to be embarrassed by something I genuinely like, but I rather enjoy the tinny, unearthly, weirdness of Autotune. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc)

Anarion
2011-11-30, 04:14 PM
At one point I knew the entire lyrics by heart of South Pacific, both womens' and mens' parts. It's been a few years, but I can still do the main theme of pretty much every song.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-11-30, 04:18 PM
Most likely the very song, that made Robot Unicorn, what it is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ISVNC2IB1o). It has awful lyrics (especialy the first lines), simple melody and cheese factor so high, it makes fondue look like a diet dish. Yet, I go back to that song again and again.

Is it just me or does that video have the same rocking effects level of a Doctor Who production?(Not to disparage the Doctor I love the cheesy effects there as much as the next nerd)

GeekGirl
2011-11-30, 05:46 PM
Backstreet Boys. Its not often and I'm not proud to admit it, but some times I have to put them back on.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-30, 05:49 PM
This...kind of. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOnWIaSgyMY)

Kindablue
2011-11-30, 08:04 PM
Immediately though of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EJEhVw_dcw). :smallwink:

I've lost weight since then.

thubby
2011-11-30, 08:57 PM
i like both country and electronic music.

neither on its own is unreasonable, its dealing with the groups that typically like one of them when you like the other, too.

GallóglachMaxim
2011-12-01, 02:05 AM
I've expressed the opinion that the Glee version of anything immediately loses all embarrassing connotations of its original incarnation. Several of my friends have told me that even if this were the case, it wouldn't be any better.

Feytalist
2011-12-01, 02:13 AM
i like both country and electronic music.

neither on its own is unreasonable, its dealing with the groups that typically like one of them when you like the other, too.

That reminds me, there's this techno-country fusion band out there, complete with electronic fiddles and everything.

What are they called again? They were pretty cool.

Gaelbert
2011-12-01, 02:28 AM
Hmmm...
While I personally feel no shame, people tend to be embarrassed for me when I proclaim my love of Shania Twain's music.

thubby
2011-12-01, 06:02 AM
That reminds me, there's this techno-country fusion band out there, complete with electronic fiddles and everything.

What are they called again? They were pretty cool.

i dont know, but if you dont remember, i may be forced to take.... drastic measures.

Serpentine
2011-12-01, 06:10 AM
Daft Punk:confused:

I'm not embarrassed! Aqua are great! :biggrin: And I do still have a soft spot for Spice Girls <.<

Also I have a fondness for Robbie Williams (mostly for his ballsiness). And although I've only heard a few songs of hers I genuinely like (as in, would go out of my way to listen to), I adore Lady Gaga. I love her videos, her style, her ideology, the lot. And even the songs I don't especially like, I don't mind listening to - a good leap ahead of most commercial pop.

I have a whole lot of Eurovision music on my computer because my Boy loves it :smallsigh: On the other hand, we listen to Disney songs together, so I guess it evens out.

Feytalist
2011-12-01, 06:14 AM
i dont know, but if you dont remember, i may be forced to take.... drastic measures.

Heh. I don't remember, that's why I asked :smallfrown: I'll trawl Last.fm to see if I can find it.

Also, I think I meant electric fiddles.

thubby
2011-12-01, 06:16 AM
was it rednex?

Feytalist
2011-12-01, 06:36 AM
Not from what I remember, but they sound pretty cool, actually.

Aotrs Commander
2011-12-01, 07:53 AM
Hmmm...
While I personally feel no shame, people tend to be embarrassed for me when I proclaim my love of Shania Twain's music.

Well that makes two of us, then, sort of...

I think I'm still winning with Hannah Montana, though...

Zen Monkey
2011-12-01, 10:04 AM
My usual: Queensryche, Type O Negative, Rammstein (and other krautrock), Rob Zombie..

The embarassing: Tatu, Lafee, some Aqua..

I have no idea how high-pitched Euro-pop fits with bass doom and gloom.

Moff Chumley
2011-12-01, 10:19 AM
I could be totally off the mark, but doesn't Krautrock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krautrock) refer to Can, Kraftwerk, Ash Ra Temple/Ashra, Faust, and so on? :smallconfused:

thubby
2011-12-01, 10:33 AM
My usual: Queensryche, Type O Negative, Rammstein (and other krautrock), Rob Zombie..

The embarassing: Tatu, Lafee, some Aqua..

I have no idea how high-pitched Euro-pop fits with bass doom and gloom.

minor scales sound "down" regardless of octave.

Zen Monkey
2011-12-01, 10:48 AM
I could be totally off the mark, but doesn't Krautrock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krautrock) refer to Can, Kraftwerk, Ash Ra Temple/Ashra, Faust, and so on? :smallconfused:

Ah, you may be right. I was using it to describe the Neue Deutsche Harte genre, Rammstein, Oomph!, Eisbrecher, etc.

pita
2011-12-01, 06:50 PM
Maroon 5 and Rihanna. I like a lot of both of these (though not f***ing Umbrella), and I generally don't admit it until people hear my MP4 randomizing from Metric to "I Won't Go Home Without You".
I also gave away my Collector's Edition of It's Not Me, It's You by Lily Allen due to shame. Kind of regret that. F*** You is a classic, as is Him. Not Fair is just a fun song to sing in Karaoke, seeing as I'm a large brown man.

Mewtarthio
2011-12-01, 11:32 PM
When I'm alone in the car and "Super Bass" comes on, I will sing along. With gusto.

Have I mentioned I'm a twenty-five-year-old male who can't sing a note above middle C?

Zain
2011-12-02, 12:08 AM
I get a urge to clap and run around whenever I listen to Owl city. I'm not sure WHY.

Yora
2011-12-02, 03:14 PM
Not something I would listen to, but it doesn't sound particularly bad.

And it is very clappy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joIbYX11aLY). :smallbiggrin:

Super Bass is strangely appealing.

Zen Monkey
2011-12-02, 03:57 PM
Does music that you dislike count? I change the station whenever I hear Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, or Green Day. People act like it's some sort of cardinal sin to dislike them. And if I mention that I don't care for Led Zepplin, people act like I just ate a baby.

Mewtarthio
2011-12-02, 11:29 PM
Does music that you dislike count?

That strikes me as the exact opposite of this thread's intent. It's supposed to be about guilty pleasures, not innocent pleasures you think should be guilty.

Maxios
2011-12-03, 12:11 AM
There's this song called I Will Follow you into the Dark that I like (it's also the only song I've heard by the band that sings it). I'm not embarrassed about it because it's a bad song, but because it's a very sad song

Ravens_cry
2011-12-03, 12:26 AM
Music is encoded emotion, they play our brains like a synthesizer.
There is a place for all feelings, and I don't think one should feel ashamed for feeling them or taking delight in evoking them.

Triscuitable
2011-12-03, 01:14 AM
I really hate to say this.

I LOVE Lady Gaga's music. It's awesome, catchy, thumpy beat to it... But it all seems so lame!

Same goes for most songs on Garage Inc. "So What?", "Last Caress", and a few other songs are just too explicit for my tastes, and yet I listen to them. It's really awkward to listen to James swear so heavily you'd think he was sitting next to a crate of bars of soap.

Serpentine
2011-12-03, 02:35 AM
That strikes me as the exact opposite of this thread's intent. It's supposed to be about guilty pleasures, not innocent pleasures you think should be guilty.I think he was going more for "guilty displeasures" than "that music is bad and you should feel bad for liking it".

Feytalist
2011-12-03, 04:34 AM
Same goes for most songs on Garage Inc. "So What?", "Last Caress", and a few other songs are just too explicit for my tastes, and yet I listen to them. It's really awkward to listen to James swear so heavily you'd think he was sitting next to a crate of bars of soap.

Well. It's not as if Hetfield historically had a clean mouth at any point, really. He's quite the hellion in concert, that I can tell you. That said, Garage, Inc. does have a few nice songs, even if they are only covers.

Ormur
2011-12-03, 10:07 AM
Overly dramatic soundtracks and trailer music. Listening to Hans Zimmer on the bus is awesome but it's also a bit embarrassing.

I do like some cheesy disco and synth-pop like ABBA but that's just camp, so that's okay.

DukeGod
2011-12-04, 09:39 PM
I like Miley Cyrus/Hanna Montana too ^^. Not that I'll ever admit it
And dare I say some stuff from Dulce Maria or Anahi. Never heard the full extent of them but I liked a couple here and there
That's what I can remember right now. Let's see what else comes up later

Triscuitable
2011-12-04, 09:51 PM
I like Miley Cyrus/Hanna Montana too ^^. Not that I'll ever admit it

I enjoyed my sister listening to it. She never liked any artists that she heard, then she gets the album for her birthday, and suddenly it's the best thing ever. But then Cyrus turned 18, and totally destroyed my perception of her as a role model, and pretty much horrified my sister. She doesn't listen to her anymore.

gooddragon1
2011-12-04, 11:11 PM
Caramelldansen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anEVeN4K-SY)

Reverent-One
2011-12-04, 11:35 PM
Not something I would listen to, but it doesn't sound particularly bad.

And it is very clappy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joIbYX11aLY). :smallbiggrin:

:smallconfused:
...Am I the only who suspects Owl City was brought in for a song for the Legend of the Guardians movie mainly/solely because the name?

Triscuitable
2011-12-05, 12:02 AM
Besides the fact that the movie was about as good as a stale bag of Goldfish?

Vacant
2011-12-05, 02:41 AM
I'm always embarrassed when I start to realize that I actually enjoy music I originally liked quasi-ironically or as a novelty. Like Nina Gordon's cover of Straight Outta Compton.

Kindablue
2011-12-05, 02:52 AM
:smallconfused:
...Am I the only who suspects Owl City was brought in for a song for the Legend of the Guardians movie mainly/solely because the name?

I like how the top comment calls that "ironic."

Feytalist
2011-12-05, 03:08 AM
I'm always embarrassed when I start to realize that I actually enjoy music I originally liked quasi-ironically or as a novelty. Like Nina Gordon's cover of Straight Outta Compton.

Man, that's how I got into prog rock and hair metal. First we were all "Twisted Sister, look how bad it is!" and then after a while we were all "wow Journey is just SO GOOD :smallbiggrin:"

And now it's at a level where we put on Eye of the Tiger every time we go out as a group and do something. Like... going shopping.

Goosefeather
2011-12-05, 03:19 AM
There's this song called I Will Follow you into the Dark that I like (it's also the only song I've heard by the band that sings it). I'm not embarrassed about it because it's a bad song, but because it's a very sad song

That'd be Death Cab for Cutie.

I refuse to be embarrassed by anything I listen to, because if I started I would never stop! My iPod has such gems as Spanish-language covers of Abba, for example, and will merrily shuffle between the Hairspray soundtrack and Slayer with nary a moment's doubt. I do tend to leave Shuffle off if other people are listening, but more because of the mood dissonance that occurs when Michael Jackson is followed by Rachmaninoff, who in turn is followed by Tom Lehrer.

Avilan the Grey
2011-12-05, 03:23 AM
Well let's see...

Song titles:

Safety Dance
Macarena
Tarzan Boy
Samurai
Rock Me Amadeus

Velaryon
2011-12-05, 04:35 AM
I used to be this way with a lot of 80's music like Tears for Fears, New Order, and so on, but I'm not embarrassed by that anymore. Also, while I wouldn't say I was ever embarrassed exactly, I generally kept quiet about liking Michael Jackson.

However, I do still have a few things I listen to that are rather embarrassing: Ace of Base, Madonna, and a couple songs each from Katy Perry, Pink, and especially Prince.

There are also a few things that, while I'm not embarrassed to say I listen to, others seem to react like they think I should be embarrassed or something. For example, HIM. I don't like too much of their stuff, but every single person who's ever found out has been like "really? you listen to that garbage?" Probably the biggest thing in this category is that I like a lot of nu metal. To this day I think the genre gets a bad rap because of Limp Bizkit, who frankly is the worst nu metal band I've ever heard.

INDYSTAR188
2011-12-05, 08:17 AM
I'm embarrased to be an almost 30 year old white guy who listens to hip-hop. Not the radio/club crap but still, I love it. Examples of what I'm talking about... Atmosphere, A Tribe Called Quest, Binary Star, The Roots, Soul Position, RJD2, ect ect.

Additionally, I have an unhealthy urge to listen to bluegrass music from time to time and that goes beyond the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack too. Fortunetly my wife is full of patience! :smallcool:

Yora
2011-12-05, 09:53 AM
Oh, I love Fettes Brot, a hip hop band from Hamburg. They are quite different from Berlin or Ruhr-Area Hiphop and have a quite unique style. The lyrics are clever and funny, and being from Hamburg the slight nods to local culture are quite entertaining.
Hamburg also doesn't seem to have have a ''Ghetto-Culture'' like other metropolitan areas and the surrounding region is pretty much all small towns and small scale farming, so social problems or violence are pretty much never the subjects adressed by local musicians. Instead there are more tongue in cheek references about conservative middle class culture.

Sample #1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faD3B7Ya9Nk), Sample #2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOrrnZtWKvM).

I like them, but it's still hiphop, which is not really that much accepted among metal fans. :smallbiggrin:

grimbold
2011-12-05, 02:47 PM
personally i'm pretty embarassed to like My Chemical Romance and Black Veil Brides

I know its for 14 year old girls but i love it nevertheless :smallbiggrin:

Vacant
2011-12-05, 03:16 PM
How is Prince embarrassing? He's, like, the man. I mean, Game, Blouses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3KskO3_2YQ).

grimbold
2011-12-06, 04:40 AM
How is Prince embarrassing? He's, like, the man. I mean, Game, Blouses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3KskO3_2YQ).

i know his drummer :smallcool:

apparently prince is a pretty cool guy

H Birchgrove
2011-12-06, 03:08 PM
i know his drummer :smallcool:

apparently prince is a pretty cool guy

Except for having reactionary views on homosexuality and being against blood transfusions.

Vacant
2011-12-07, 03:09 AM
Also, I missed this the first time, but I also don't really think there's any cause to ever be embarrassed about liking A Tribe Called Quest.

TheArsenal
2011-12-07, 05:26 AM
Your Favourite Martian.

Sexist, Ego showing, horribly bad lyrics. I feal uncomfortable even talking about him.

But the beat...Oh that beat.....Its amazing.

JabberwockySupafly
2011-12-07, 07:29 AM
I honestly can't think of a single musician I listen to that I'd be embarrassed about. I'll happily admit to everything I listen to. Is some of it insubstantial pop, talentless garbage, or the shambling corpses of One Hit Wonders? Most certainly. But I'm more than happy to admit I actually like Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up", or most of the memorable Billy Ocean songs, just as much as I'll admit to listening to Tom Waits or They Might Be Giants.

Knaight
2011-12-07, 07:45 AM
personally i'm pretty embarassed to like My Chemical Romance and Black Veil Brides

I know its for 14 year old girls but i love it nevertheless :smallbiggrin:

It could be worse. It could be AFI.

Your Favourite Martian.

Sexist, Ego showing, horribly bad lyrics. I feal uncomfortable even talking about him.

But the beat...Oh that beat.....Its amazing.

Aaand you take worst of the thread. Easily. Sexism is merely a scratch on the tip of the iceberg that is bigotry and stupidity in Your Favorite Martian songs. Hanna Montana has nothing on it, as all that does wrong is being vapid (which probably has a lot more to do with Disney than with Miley Cyrus).

INDYSTAR188
2011-12-07, 07:49 AM
Also, I missed this the first time, but I also don't really think there's any cause to ever be embarrassed about liking A Tribe Called Quest.

Agreed! I don't mean to say that the music embarrases me per se, it's more the sterotype that I'm too old (almost 30) and too white (like snow with crunched up cheeto's sprinkled on it) to listen to it. I'm unapologetic about the music I like and I collect good hip hop like some old men do stamps and buttons.

JabberwockySupafly
2011-12-07, 07:57 AM
Agreed! I don't mean to say that the music embarrases me per se, it's more the sterotype that I'm too old (almost 30) and too white (like snow with crunched up cheeto's sprinkled on it) to listen to it. I'm unapologetic about the music I like and I collect good hip hop like some old men do stamps and buttons.

Almost 30 is too old to listen to hip hop?! Heresy! Most good hip hop is made by the 30+ age group. Aesop Rock, El-P, Atmosphere, The Beastie Boys, Haiku D'Etat, Busdriver, and illogic are all in their 30's minimum.

grimbold
2011-12-07, 10:14 AM

ah knaight
always looking on the bright side :smalltongue:

Nerd-o-rama
2011-12-07, 03:06 PM
I love J-Pop, J-Rock, and video game music.

I tell no one outside of the internet and my wife this.

TheArsenal
2011-12-07, 05:07 PM
Aaand you take worst of the thread. Easily. Sexism is merely a scratch on the tip of the iceberg that is bigotry and stupidity in Your Favorite Martian songs. Hanna Montana has nothing on it, as all that does wrong is being vapid (which probably has a lot more to do with Disney than with Miley Cyrus).

I love music, and likeing this....I don't know what makes my soul, brain, and heart hurt. But its just kinda catchy.

Shyftir
2011-12-08, 12:43 AM
I'm a guy who likes tons of different music so I'm rarely embarrassed about it but there is one artist who is clearly my guilty pleasure. Shakira.

I know not that bad but when your favorites are ska, punk, classic rock and speedmetal/heavy mithral. Well it just doesn't fit.

Knaight
2011-12-08, 08:21 AM
I'm a guy who likes tons of different music so I'm rarely embarrassed about it but there is one artist who is clearly my guilty pleasure. Shakira.

I know not that bad but when your favorites are ska, punk, classic rock and speedmetal/heavy mithral. Well it just doesn't fit.

On the other hand, Shakira is an incredible artist. Particularly her songs in Spanish, among which there are maybe four bad ones.

Alabenson
2011-12-08, 03:11 PM
One of the few songs that I'm actually embarassed about liking would be "Run Away" by SunStroke Project; you may know it as the source for epic sax guy.

Reejis
2011-12-08, 08:24 PM
I have one, and only one, band I am ashamed to like. I listen to the most saccharine or simple acts with pride. I love Lady Gaga and Andrew WK and I don't care who knows it. But this one band causes me too dart my eyes around when I listen to em: ...Coldplay. Not just Viva la Vida either, all of it ; Clocks, The Scientist, I'll sing right along (if no one's around). I recognize that they are objectively a pretty mediocre Radiohead knockoff, but I can't help it! They're the only band I don't know why I like.

Dragor
2011-12-09, 08:50 AM
I have one, and only one, band I am ashamed to like. I listen to the most saccharine or simple acts with pride. I love Lady Gaga and Andrew WK and I don't care who knows it. But this one band causes me too dart my eyes around when I listen to em: ...Coldplay. Not just Viva la Vida either, all of it ; Clocks, The Scientist, I'll sing right along (if no one's around). I recognize that they are objectively a pretty mediocre Radiohead knockoff, but I can't help it! They're the only band I don't know why I like.

Not going to lie; I'm a massive Radiohead fan and for the most part I'm not that enthralled with Coldplay, but The Scientist makes me want to cry every time. :smallredface: Then again, I cry quite easily at stuff when I'm on my own...

Reejis
2011-12-09, 08:58 AM
Not going to lie; I'm a massive Radiohead fan and for the most part I'm not that enthralled with Coldplay, but The Scientist makes me want to cry every time. :smallredface: Then again, I cry quite easily at stuff when I'm on my own...

I know! It's so cheesy and overwrought, but I can't help but get sincerely caught up. None of that self-aware irony like with Meatloaf or Twisted Sister, just 100% conviction while I'm belting out "noooobody saaaaid it was eaaasy!" in my car.

LansXero
2011-12-09, 09:11 AM

Come on now... :(

grimbold
2011-12-09, 04:04 PM

ah god coldplay

i have a vendetta against them

Ormur
2011-12-09, 08:27 PM
I like Clocks by them, but it's pretty embarrassing yes. They're not cheesy enough to be okay and they're certainly not cool or arty.

My biggest embarrassment regarding music isn't the bands I listen to though. It's the fact that I just can't focus on the lyrics. I have no idea what singers are singing about until I've listened to the song on repeat for months. A lot of the bands I listen to definitely intend for some deep meaning to their lyrics but to me it's just another instrument.

grimbold
2011-12-10, 02:35 AM
My biggest embarrassment regarding music isn't the bands I listen to though. It's the fact that I just can't focus on the lyrics. I have no idea what singers are singing about until I've listened to the song on repeat for months. A lot of the bands I listen to definitely intend for some deep meaning to their lyrics but to me it's just another instrument.

i was like that for a while but then in my english class (Which is taught in french and which I'm the only native speaker) the teacher started to do an excersice to boost comprehension where we have to copy down the singers words

suddenly songs make sense! Oo

Kindablue
2011-12-10, 02:16 PM
I really hate to say this.

I LOVE Lady Gaga's music. It's awesome, catchy, thumpy beat to it... But it all seems so lame!

I personally can't stand Lady Gaga's music, but Stephanie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_hHc7TZjyY) Germanotta's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lbRAyo96z0) is fantastic.

Gaelbert
2011-12-10, 02:31 PM
ah god coldplay

i have a vendetta against them

Is it the Satriani/Viva La Vida thing? I used to hate Coldplay too just because of that whole incident, and then I realized I was being an idiot. People cover songs all the time, entire genres have developed around the sampling of other songs, and I like those genres. As much as I hate to say it, Satriani needs to get over himself. I hated when Prince said everyone who covers his work should be sent to prison, so why would Satriani be any different?

I love Lady Gaga and Andrew WK and I don't care who knows it.

Me too. I like Gaga's first album and a half thingie, haven't listened to her stuff since. Oh well. But I do sincerely enjoy her DJ, Space Cowboy. Check him out. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1rrPLDGuGk&feature=relmfu) It's about as stupid and inane as it gets, but I still enjoy it. Loud bass? I'm good.

I do that too. In most songs, I just listen to the melody of the singer and none of the words. Actually, most of the time I can't even understand the lyrics the singer sings if I try. The one exception is hip-hop and rap for whatever reason. I listen to the words and can almost always understand them quite well.

Kindablue
2011-12-10, 03:15 PM
Is it the Satriani/Viva La Vida thing? I used to hate Coldplay too just because of that whole incident, and then I realized I was being an idiot. People cover songs all the time, entire genres have developed around the sampling of other songs, and I like those genres. As much as I hate to say it, Satriani needs to get over himself. I hated when Prince said everyone who covers his work should be sent to prison, so why would Satriani be any different?
Did I miss some part of that? How I remembered it going was Coldplay plagiarized one of his songs (okay, fine. "All knowledge is but remembrance." Whatever), he sued for copyright infringement and the whole thing was settled out of court. His problem wasn't that someone else was playing his song, it was that someone else was playing his song without cutting him off a piece.

Nix Nihila
2011-12-10, 07:50 PM
I personally can't stand Lady Gaga's music, but Stephanie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_hHc7TZjyY) Germanotta's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lbRAyo96z0) is fantastic.

Her music before she became famous is nice, and I wouldn't avoid it, but I don't think it's really good enough to seek out. I do think Gaga shines the most when she's live though. Especially when she's at the piano.

Kindablue
2011-12-10, 09:35 PM
Her music before she became famous is nice, and I wouldn't avoid it, but I don't think it's really good enough to seek out. I do think Gaga shines the most when she's live though. Especially when she's at the piano.

I do. And who knows, I might see that at some point. I saw a video on YouTube of her playing "Imagine" on a piano, and though I thought it was well done, I was more taken by how she had somehow made that song more heavy handed. I think she's a very talented musician, she's just making a type of music that I don't like.

Marillion
2011-12-11, 12:06 AM
The only music I'm embarrassed to like is bad covers. Not just covers that weren't as good as the original: I mean covers that make you go "Haha, WHAT!?"

For example. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWhj0e60jyc)

grimbold
2011-12-11, 02:35 AM
I think she's a very talented musician, she's just making a type of music that I don't like.

this sums up my thoughts on her exactly :smallsmile:

Nix Nihila
2011-12-11, 03:00 AM
I do. And who knows, I might see that at some point. I saw a video on YouTube of her playing "Imagine" on a piano, and though I thought it was well done, I was more taken by how she had somehow made that song more heavy handed. I think she's a very talented musician, she's just making a type of music that I don't like.

I guess I just think that she's much more cut out for the type of music she does now than for the type of music she did then. I enjoy her music from before she became famous, but I think there are musicians who are better at that sort of music, whereas I think she's very hard to compete with in the top 40 pop genre.

tribble
2011-12-11, 08:47 PM
I like some eighties pop. It's all the really campy, cheesy stuff I go in for too, like "she blinded me with science" "turning japanese" and of course, the safety dance. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7movKfyTBII&ob=av3e)

Das Platyvark
2011-12-11, 08:52 PM
I found myself partially enjoying some dubstep not too long ago. On occasion, the melodies are pretty good, but they'd do better on just about any other instrument.

grimbold
2011-12-12, 12:10 PM
I like some eighties pop. It's all the really campy, cheesy stuff I go in for too, like "she blinded me with science" "turning japanese" and of course, the safety dance. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7movKfyTBII&ob=av3e)

don't worry tribs

i too love 80s pop

Yora
2011-12-12, 03:35 PM
That's probably mostly our age group of 20-somethings speaking.

SDF
2011-12-12, 04:48 PM

Nah dogg, AFI actually has talented musicians. MCR is still the worst live performance I have ever seen.

Vacant
2011-12-12, 06:29 PM
AFI also used to be a somewhat legitimate band before becoming whatever pejorative best describes what they are, now. MCR, less so.

Feytalist
2011-12-13, 01:54 AM
That's probably mostly our age group of 20-somethings speaking.

Because we were all born with it blaring in our ears? Heh.

Actually, I remember being raised on the Beatles and Jim Reeves. Oh, and Chopin, Schubert, Verdi and that lot, but that's because my mum was a music teacher.

grimbold
2011-12-13, 01:29 PM
MCR is still the worst live performance I have ever seen.

oh really?

i was going to go see them in august with my little sister (she'll be 13) to introduce her to heavy concerts in a controlled environment

Newman
2011-12-13, 06:50 PM
I like Justin Bieber. Specifically, I like glee covers of his songs. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDtwxT6oDj0&feature=related)

grimbold
2011-12-16, 08:13 PM
I like Justin Bieber. Specifically, I like glee covers of his songs. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDtwxT6oDj0&feature=related)

well thats...

slightly forgivable...

ShadowySilence
2011-12-18, 11:53 PM
Katy Perry.

Even though I don't care for most of her music I am addicted to Last Friday Night.

Newman
2011-12-19, 01:07 AM
^For that matter, most Glee songs, especially those done by Darren Criss, of whom I have been a huge fan since AVPM.

Pokonic
2011-12-19, 01:25 AM
Dubstep. I simply know that, as a former music student, that it is a abomination in every way. Its still addictive, tho.

Sheep Overlord
2011-12-19, 08:21 PM
. . . This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy0pZ_JvL4k :smallredface:

My usual is Bishop Allen, The Field Mice, Heavenly, and other twee.

Laura Eternata
2011-12-22, 03:02 PM
Well, there's this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGmhDLnWhOY)

And (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdXD7XCMc-c), uh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Ilx_QRXdY&feature=related), these. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDFmNgmaEe0&feature=related)

Capt Spanner
2011-12-22, 07:02 PM
Although MCR do suck live, they are a secret pleasure of mine.

Their album stuff is so well orchestrated and well written, and done with an air of self awareness. Plus a lot of it is actually quite uplifting, contrary to stereotype. (e.g. "I am not afraid to keep on living\ I am not afraid to walk this world alone")

Darthteej
2011-12-25, 02:55 AM
For example. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWhj0e60jyc)

Wat

Wat

WAT

Leon
2011-12-25, 07:12 PM
Enya
Enigma
Daft Punk

Is Puzzled as to why liking these 3 would be embarrassing?

The Durvin
2011-12-26, 12:45 AM
Honestly, all the music I like is a little embarrassing; there's a few things I'll play for friends, but I usually have to roll the windows up when I stop at a light. I'm talkin' "Super Mario Compact Disco", I'm talkin' Perez Prado's mambos, I'm talkin' the soundtrack to Sonic the Hedgehog 2...string quartets covering classic rock bands, space-age bachelor pad, early industial albums...even the other hipsters think I'm weird.

arguskos
2011-12-26, 01:07 AM
Funky Cold Medina, by Tone Loc.

Yeah. I feel bad about it already. :smallsigh:

Velaryon
2011-12-27, 04:28 PM
Funky Cold Medina, by Tone Loc.

Yeah. I feel bad about it already. :smallsigh:

As well you should.

Wild Thing is so much better. :smalltongue:

grimbold
2011-12-29, 07:49 AM
As well you should.

Wild Thing is so much better. :smalltongue:

or you could listen to the troggs version! :D

Marillion
2011-12-29, 01:58 PM
Wat

Wat

WAT

Isn't it wonderful?

ShadowySilence
2011-12-30, 10:13 PM
I am slightly embarrassed that the Imperial Guard Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_2Jduxc2P8&feature=player_embedded) is still on my ipod...

grimbold
2012-01-02, 06:08 AM
I am slightly embarrassed that the Imperial Guard Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_2Jduxc2P8&feature=player_embedded) is still on my ipod...

that just shows your forever young :smallsmile:

ShadowySilence
2012-01-02, 09:53 AM
that just shows your forever young :smallsmile:

I suppose! :smallbiggrin:

The Extinguisher
2012-01-02, 12:49 PM
I'm pretty embaressed to say that the song I've been listening the most to lately is "Sexy and I know it"

Don't judge me.

grimbold
2012-01-02, 12:59 PM
I'm pretty embaressed to say that the song I've been listening the most to lately is "Sexy and I know it"

Don't judge me.

*reassuring pat*

Morph Bark
2012-01-02, 01:38 PM

I sometimes sing the Safety Dance during work. :smalltongue:

/born in 1990

Well, there's this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGmhDLnWhOY)

Now I got a new band I really like. Coverbands are something I really like. Hence also Van Canto or Powerfist.

grimbold
2012-01-03, 03:43 AM
I sometimes sing the Safety Dance during work. :smalltongue:

doesn't everyone? :smalltongue:

Yora
2012-01-05, 08:16 AM
This one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-bIhCBSrzU) had me completely crack up.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-01-05, 05:18 PM
Well there's the obvious ones such as Disney soundtracks, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, 5ive(/Five) and Modern Talking... All of them are kind off odd since I'm much more of a power metal and classic rock fan and I grew up on a music diet consisting of 95% Bruce Springsteen... But the really embarrassing stuff would have to be things like:

Venga Boys - Shalala lala (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obi4iELWJ3Y&feature=relmfu) (No I'm not kidding, that is the title.)
Captain Jack - Heyo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWK5dvgpZe0)
Britney Spears - Toxic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOZuxwVk7TU)

Yora
2012-01-06, 11:05 AM
and Modern Talking
No! Really!?!?! :smallbiggrin:

Did you grow up in Germany, or did they actually have american fans?

Toxic isn't that bad. Except that it's Britney Spears.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-01-06, 06:29 PM
No! Really!?!?! :smallbiggrin:

Did you grow up in Germany, or did they actually have american fans?

Toxic isn't that bad. Except that it's Britney Spears.

Actually I'm Swedish, just moved to the US the other year... I stumbled over them on MTV Europe when I was 13-14, something like that. But I very much doubt they have fans outside of Europe. ^^;

Makensha
2012-01-06, 10:08 PM
Admission:Regret
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-VZQjZZf68)
People keep telling me their ears are bleeding. :smallfrown:

Asthix
2012-01-06, 10:16 PM
Sure its been posted before, but still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcMHkvEVgVo&feature=relmfu

Yora
2012-01-07, 02:16 PM
Actually I'm Swedish, just moved to the US the other year... I stumbled over them on MTV Europe when I was 13-14, something like that. But I very much doubt they have fans outside of Europe. ^^;

It's amazing they ever had fans at all. :smallamused:

fergo
2012-01-07, 03:17 PM
Over the last year or so I've become far less elitist about my musical tastes. I may still joke about other peoples' taste being sucky, but I don't really mean it (erm, usually :smalleek).

Normally I'm into pretty heavy stuff (by normal standards), hard rock and metal. But I've always loved folk bands like Tarras and Show of Hands. Most embarrassingly, I think, is Cara Dillon. I can't listen to Black is the Colour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKwzw_xyNEw) without getting emotional.

Radar
2012-01-07, 03:55 PM
It's amazing they ever had fans at all. :smallamused:
You can dance to it without being inebriated, so some fans will crop up. Being bland didn't stop other musicians from becoming fameous.

Felhammer
2012-01-07, 04:01 PM
I really like Dschinghis Khan!

Dschinghis Khan (http://youtu.be/pzmI3vAIhbE)

Moskow (http://youtu.be/fWucPckXbIw)

Samouri (http://youtu.be/UHZAWrJAVz4)

Pistolero (http://youtu.be/h0RsG4a4_SE)

EDIT: I even like Berryz Koubou's cover of Jingisukan (Dschinghis Khan) (http://youtu.be/KzmFMOS8Qtg)

grimbold
2012-01-07, 04:31 PM
Modern Talking
my dad loves that band!
i dig em but they're not my favorite of the genre

NikitaDarkstar
2012-01-07, 11:53 PM
my dad loves that band!
i dig em but they're not my favorite of the genre

@Yora See, there are others!!!

But no, they're not amazing, but there's something about them that makes me listen to them, especially while studying, they just turn into "background noise" after a while which is good for me since I tend to read in the same tempo as the music (fast paced music = way quicker studying) but their lyrics are, well, inane enough to not distract me from what I'm reading.