PDA

View Full Version : Magic: The Gathering IC thread

BladeofObliviom
2011-11-30, 07:26 AM
((Courtesy link to OOC.)) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181087)

[Equilor - Chamber of Reckoning]

The past years have been a Nightmare. Truly, the situation of Dominia has never been so dire, not since the last time they ravaged everything.

It began with a dream: A survivor of the Coalition/Phyrexian War, a Negator by the codename of 'Maltarus,' successfully awakened a dormant Planeswalker's Spark that he had harvested from a Dominarian child.

It travelled to the Plane of Mirrodin, then in the process of being retorted into New Phyrexia. With the sheer might of a Compleat Planeswalker rallying them, the Phyrexian Legions not only crushed virtually all Mirran Opposition in a matter of days, but recolonized the Ancient Plane of Phyrexia as well.

From there, the strength of the Phyrexian Juggernaut grew every moment as Maltarus launched new invasions of Ravnica and Alara. Both planes were saved, in the end, by a combination of Phyrexian Internal Division and interference by an unknown group of Planeswalkers.

However, one unknown Planeswalker took particularly rash action: He traveled to the plane of Zendikar, and created a rift to transport large numbers of Eldrazi to New Phyrexia. The plan, at least in its stated goal, was successful. The strength of the Eldrazi purged Phyrexian corruption from the plane, though they also purged much of the plane itself before Karn awoke and sealed them away for a time.

In the meantime, the treachery of Jin-Gitaxias shattered the Phyrexian invasion of Alara, while the might of the newly-reforged Guildpact wiped Ravnica clean of their own invaders.

Finally, a large group of Planeswakers attacked Phyrexia itself, this time unmaking the plane in its entirety, just to be certain.

However, despite the positive note created by the beating back of the Phyrexians, a bitter discord was soon to come: The Eldrazi, released from their imprisonment on Zendikar, once again rampage through Dominia. Zendikar and Mirrodin were only the first worlds to fall, and beasts such as Marit Lage once again roam the Blind Eternities, on the currents of Aether that connect the many worlds of Dominia together.

Worst of all, a few special and powerful Eldrazi appear to have developed sparks of their own, or at least some array that allows them to manipulate the Aether in the same way that a planeswalker does.

Thus it is with great fear and fright that a Grand Summit is called for on the Neutral Grounds of Equilor, to be attended by every Planeswalker well enough to fight the Eldrazi. Even as the greatest enemy ever faced rises in opposition to reality itself, Planeswalkers are far from united. Radicals, Anarchists, and Narcissists take advantage of the chaos, using it for entertainment, personal advancement, and expansion of power.

Yet even within the alliance itself, there is disharmony to be found if one looks closely enough at it: The individual factions disagree on philosophy, Strategy, Planning, and willingness to accept the aid of Jin-Gitaxias' Phyrexian Splinter Faction against the hordes of seemingly unstoppable Eldrazi.

Factions abound, seated around the great chamber, and thus so likely do the Future heroes of this dark age.

The-Mage-King
2011-12-07, 02:54 AM
Slumped over in his seat, a cloaked elf looks on over the meeting in annoyance.

Much better things could be being done with his time, but no, he had to decide to make a showing here and eye up the competition instead of brewing up another plan.

"And they even have the gall to serve inferior tea, too!" He mutters, stewing in his little section. "The nerve of these new people. Why, when I was their age..."

Lix Lorn
2011-12-07, 09:59 AM
A woman, human by all appearences, sits quietly in the corner, expression somewhere between haunted and blank. She has black hair, long, and blue eyes. She wears a long dress of red, a stylised blue dragon marked upon the chest, and a black cloak, and seems to be staring into the horizon more than paying attention.

Blackfish
2011-12-07, 05:47 PM
Seated to one side of the chamber is a young human dressed in finery, red and blue and covered in symbols wrought in copper and gold. The man's hair is short and brown, as are his eyes, and his attention seems to drift between the proceedings and the odd metal trinket in his hands.

Every now and then he mutters something to himself.

"Shouldn't be here, too much to do."

Nate the Snake
2011-12-07, 08:32 PM
A small rift opens briefly in the corner of the room as a tall, red-haired human 'walks onto the plane. In contrast to the bright finery of his colleagues, he is dressed in leather clothing in muted greens and browns.

"Sorry I'm late," he says to no one in particular, as he takes a seat next to the woman in the long red dress. He gives her a quizzical look. "You look familiar. Have we met before?"

Lix Lorn
2011-12-08, 12:02 PM
She almost jumps, eyes going wide in surprise as she's spoken to.
"Um... no... I... I don't think so..." she murmurs.

happyturtle
2011-12-08, 05:56 PM
(You forgot the [Tag] in the thread title, BoO) :smallsmile:

BladeofObliviom
2011-12-08, 07:06 PM
*Retconjuration!*

((No I didn't! :smalltongue:))

Near the rather irksome fellow complaining about tea, a man in silver armor sits, though he appears rigid and uncomfortable rather than relaxed. Of course, the tea-complainer gets a bit of a look, as if to say 'stop whining.'

Nate the Snake
2011-12-09, 01:52 AM

"Oh, pardon me. Where are my manners? I am Maldor, planar naturalist." Maldor extends a hand in proper greeting. "I hail from Ravnica."

After introducing himself, Maldor looks thoughtful. "I suppose it's unlikely that we've met before, but then again planeswalkers do tend to defy probability in that regard."

The-Mage-King
2011-12-09, 02:31 AM
Perking a little as a new person appears, the elf watches for any others to show up and finally get the meeting going.

Glancing over to the man muttering about needing to do stuff, he chuckles slightly. Seems he's not the only one who's bored.

"You know what, screw it." He says, standing up and flaring a burst of red mana into the air, hopefully catching everyone's attention. "If we don't start the meeting in the next five minutes, I'm out of here. I have things to do, and this is wasting my time."

It almost looks like he's biting back a snicker at the last part, for some reason.

And with that, he sits down again, taking a small mechanical ant and some tools from a pocket in his cloak, and starting to tinker with the bug.

darkillini
2011-12-09, 02:52 AM
in the center of the room a pale figure wearing a black flowing robe with red patterns embroidered along the trailing edges steps from a small swirling rift. mere moments after appearing without saying a word he snaps his fingers creating a small pop before all those in the room.

and just like that you are all gone, not dead, gone. That is the threat we are dealing with, and you all sit around deciding what to do. turning slowly to look each in their eyes before continuing

MY trick was but an example of their methods minus the oblivion that would come with one of their attacks. You all treat them as though you would one of us, like you can deal with these beings rationally, but deep down you each know the truth. Once they appear they seek to eradicate all in their surrounding. I ask everyone stand now and fight! whether you be an artificer, a fire weaver, or even a fellow necromancer you must see we need to fight them. for even we who profit from the dead, gain nothing from the oblivion they seek to spread to us all. having finished his words he continues to stand to see what the others would do.

The-Mage-King
2011-12-09, 03:05 AM
Setting aside the mechanical insect, the cloaked elf stands once more, leaning on the table.

"Big deal. You're a necromancer who's whining about the Eldrazi not leaving corpses. I'm pretty sure about half of us dislike you on principle, and the rest are annoyed about your complaining." He sneers, a small sphere of black mana forming around his left hand.

"I have more destructive potential in my hand than you do. Besides, it's not like being quote-unquote, 'gone', will do much to me. My research will survive, one way or another. And as long as a man's name is spoken, they are not yet gone." With that, the aura around his hand disappates, and he sits down again, a wisp of blue mana creating a watch that he peers at.

"One minute down. Four left." He mutters, waiting.

Nate the Snake
2011-12-09, 03:48 AM
Maldor stands and addresses the necromancer. "I count myself among those who dislike you on principle, necromancer, but I agree that we must take action against the Eldrazi."

He turns to the cloaked elf. "If you have as much destructive potential as you claim, perhaps your time would be better spent directing it at the Eldrazi? Or is your precious research more important than saving entire planes from utter annihilation?

Lix Lorn
2011-12-09, 09:35 AM

"Oh, pardon me. Where are my manners? I am Maldor, planar naturalist." Maldor extends a hand in proper greeting. "I hail from Ravnica."

After introducing himself, Maldor looks thoughtful. "I suppose it's unlikely that we've met before, but then again planeswalkers do tend to defy probability in that regard."
"I... I live on Ravnica..." she murmurs. "Or... I did... is... is it okay?"
She doesn't take the hand, but judging by her attitude it's more that it hasn't registered than an offense.

The-Mage-King
2011-12-09, 01:26 PM
Maldor stands and addresses the necromancer. "I count myself among those who dislike you on principle, necromancer, but I agree that we must take action against the Eldrazi."

He turns to the cloaked elf. "If you have as much destructive potential as you claim, perhaps your time would be better spent directing it at the Eldrazi? Or is your precious research more important than saving entire planes from utter annihilation?

"Because, the Eldrazi have been getting bigger, they have sheer numbers, and I'm just one elf. I can't be everywhere at once." The elf returns, exasperated. "Furthermore, have you given any thought to the fact that my research may involve the Eldrazi and a way to kill them in one fell swoop? No?"

darkillini
2011-12-09, 01:56 PM
Looking at the elf the pale man drops the facade of charisma he had on and voice dripping with contempt says to the elf, from your previous comments I figured you were working on some sort of speaker system, to shout your name out to thee rest of the world. Since few actually care much for you self absorbed pointy ears as much as you think we do. he shoos the man away why don't you run along to you little science experiment since we are apparently not good enough for the likes of you.. SIR, the rest of us shall figure a way to end this and let you play with your pitiful research

Blackfish
2011-12-09, 02:36 PM
The mage sighs and stops tinkering with the small artifact in his hands. He pushes himself to his feet and walks over to concentration of bickering planeswalkers.

"Look, I hate to be the voice of reason here, but none of this is helping. If you want to moan about personal problems, do it after we defeat all the Eldrazi, yeah?" He stops between the cloaked elf and the necromancer, attempting to sever their line of sight to each other. "Attacking the Eldrazi head-on is a bad idea, which would probably kill most of us. Instead, we're going to need a weapon. Anyone have any ideas?"

BladeofObliviom
2011-12-09, 02:57 PM

"We have a weapon."

The man in silver armor stands, revealing his full height at just over six feet.

We have since the last time the Eldrazi were sealed away. We have a mighty weapon, the likes of which have not been seen since the time of the Dragon with Colorless Fire.

Markov may be curiously absent from this meeting, but the tools of the first Eldrazi sealing, the Hedrons, remain potent. They contain the very energy of the Eldrazi, held back by the Ghostly Fire of the Ancient Dragon, and the magics of two other planeswalkers, Markov included. The various arrays of Hedrons make the Eldrazi mortal, even corporeal, and thus able to be killed without merely reforming in the Blind Eternities.

The only downside to this is that the Hedrons are on Zendikar, and thus difficult to use without first attacking the Eldrazi there, a certain suicide mission. However, there is still one Planeswalker yet living who knows how to not only operate the Eldrazi sealing systems, but to construct additional, new Hedrons.

Nate the Snake
2011-12-09, 09:45 PM
[A few minutes ago]

"I... I live on Ravnica..." she murmurs. "Or... I did... is... is it okay?"
She doesn't take the hand, but judging by her attitude it's more that it hasn't registered than an offense.

Maldor, reminded of his own concerns for his home plane, ignores the unintentional rebuff. He offers a reassuring smile. "It's certainly seen better days, but yes, it's okay. The Guilds reforged the Guildpact to drive off the Phyrexian invasion, and they've been holding things together pretty well since then."

Hoping that this is enough to draw her out of her reverie, he asks, "What's your name?"

-----

[Now]

"Because, the Eldrazi have been getting bigger, they have sheer numbers, and I'm just one elf. I can't be everywhere at once." The elf returns, exasperated. "Furthermore, have you given any thought to the fact that my research may involve the Eldrazi and a way to kill them in one fell swoop? No?"

At this, Maldor subsides a little, but his own exasperation increases. This elf really was quite irksome. "No, I didn't think that your research had anything to do with the Eldrazi. I assumed that you would have mentioned the fact, considering that the purpose of this meeting is to determine viable courses of action against them."

Addressing the assembly at large, he continues. "So, we have unspecified research into destroying the Eldrazi and the possibility of re-sealing them with the hedrons. Shall we focus on these plans, or does anyone have other suggestions?

Lix Lorn
2011-12-10, 06:52 PM
She gives a sigh of relief. "Oh, good... um. Elyssia. My name is Elyssia. And uhm, yours?"

Nate the Snake
2012-01-07, 01:00 AM
[A few minutes ago]

She gives a sigh of relief. "Oh, good... um. Elyssia. My name is Elyssia. And uhm, yours?"

Maldor gives his name again, quirking an eyebrow slightly at the fact that she missed it the first time. Then his eyes light up as he fully registers her name. "Elyssia, the art merchant! I knew I recognized you. I bought one of your paintings once."

His expression sobers. "I also managed to save a few of the others from the Phyrexians. A strange priority under the circumstances, but one rarely thinks clearly in the midst of a crisis. I'll give them back, of course."

-----

[Now]

Addressing the assembly at large, he continues. "So, we have unspecified research into destroying the Eldrazi and the possibility of re-sealing them with the hedrons. Shall we focus on these plans, or does anyone have other suggestions?"

Unexpected silence greets this pronouncement. "Well, don't everybody jump up at once," Maldor remarks dryly.
Stars and stones, he thinks, what does it take to get something done here? Dropping a baloth on the table?

Maldor tries again to rouse the assembly to action. "I for one, am interested in locating this mysterious hedron-crafting planeswalker. Presumably, my esteemed colleague --" (he nods towards the irksome elf) "-- has his research well in hand." Turning to the man in silver armor, he asks, "What else do you know about the hedron-crafter?"

BladeofObliviom
2012-01-07, 02:08 AM

"I already mentioned his name. Sorin Markov, a vampire."

Jacob, as that is his name, reveals a small artifact: A miniature hedron.

Sorin Markov was one of the three Planeswalkers who originally sealed the Eldrazi long ago, along with Ugin and another who has been forgotten by the sands of time.

As a Vampire, he lives to this day. His current location is unknown, but he has a Manor House on his home plane of Innistrad, where his entire clan resides. Innistrad may be in a state of turmoil, but it only increases the probability that he is at the Manor: There is a possibility that his clan in Stensia might need his protection, and thus he would desire to see his line continue.

Nate the Snake
2012-01-09, 08:27 PM
"Then let's dispatch an envoy to Innistrad. Any volunteers?" Maldor steps away from the table, indicating his own readiness. "Volunteers to join me, that is."

Lambent green light flickers in Maldor's eyes as he starts gathering his focus to planeswalk. He is clearly eager to take action promptly, with or without accompaniment.

happyturtle
2012-01-09, 11:09 PM
((BoO, can you edit the title of the first post to have a [Tag] at the front? It makes it easier to keep the subforum organized :smallsmile:))

Erik Vale
2012-01-23, 12:30 AM

Breafly a section of wall changes to look like a long winding path, then returns to normal as Elvaken walks through, stangely unacompanied, unless he has a changling hidden somewhere on his person.

"Apoligies for my lateness, I got sidetracked by some giants." And he does look like he has recently exerted himself, his leathers a little dirtier then usual with some small sweat stains. He then moves to take one of the unocupied seats.