PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 skirmisher class. WIP - ADVICE NEEDED

ieatfood7
2011-11-30, 11:34 AM
Ok, this is my first attempt to build a class, and I don't know if I made him way too powerful (Wizard+) or merely playable (Rogue).

Any critisism would be great. I couldn't find a decent skirmisher class outside of scout (if you count that) so I wrote this up.

EDIT: See below where a helpful poster formatted the class better. I am new to the boards and didn't know how to format it.

ieatfood7
2011-11-30, 01:39 PM
This was the where I posted the second formatting of the build, but it was still pretty busch league, formattign wise. I'll keep it here for my reference, but you should read two posts down to where a helpfull poster reformated it for me.

Ok, I'm no good at formatting on these threads, but here is the character in a more normal layout. The layout still isn't very clear though. If its hard to read, BAB is 3/4 and Reflex is the only good save.

Frenetic Brawler

Description
Frenetic Brawls are a little twitchy when standing still, but once they start moving they are graceful, swift, and deadly. Their speed is their greatest ability. .

Alignment
Generally non-lawfull

Hit Die
d10

Class Skills
ALL skills are class skills, due to the Frenetic Brawler's propensity to dabble and keep moving.

Skill Points at First Level
(2 + Intelligence Modifier) x 4

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
2 + Intelligence Modifier

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +0 +0 +2 +0 Quick to Act +6, Jittery
2 +1 +0 +3 +0 Skirmish +1d6
3 +2 +1 +3 +1 Evasion
4 +3 +1 +4 +1 Skirmish +2d6
5 +3 +1 +4 +1 Blurry, Swift Footed +10
6 +4 +2 +5 +2 Skirmish +3d6
7 +5 +2 +5 +2 Bonus Feat, Defensive Movements
8 +6/+1 +2 +6 +2 Skirmish +4d6
9 +6/+1 +3 +6 +3 Spell Resistance
10 +7/+2 +3 +7 +3 Skirmish +5d6, Swift Footed +20
11 +8/+3 +3 +7 +3 Wind Walk
12 +9/+4 +4 +7 +4 Skirmish +6d6
13 +9/+4 +4 +8 +4 Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge
14 +10/+5 +4 +9 +4 Skirmish +7d6
15 +11/+6/+1 +5 +9 +5 Swift Footed +30, Bonus Feat
16 +12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +5 Skirmish +8d6, Evasive Movements
17 +12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +5 Nimble Footed
18 +13/+8/+3 +6 +11 +6 Skirmish +9d6
19 +14/+9/+4 +6 +11 +6 Flashing Strike
20 +15/+10/+5 +6 +12 +6 Skirmish +10d6, Swift Footed +50, Improved Skirmish

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Proficiency with mele and martial mele weapon and with light armor, but not shields or ranged weapons of any kind.

Quick to Act (Ex): A Frenetic Brawler jumps into battle at the earliest moment that he feels it nessesary. This does not make then unessisarily violent, but they are quick to act when violence is called for. They receive a +8 bonus to intiative that stacks with all other bonuses.

Jittery (Ex): A Frenetic Brawler is not realiable when standing perfectly still. He receives a -8 to hide attempts and a -8 on all ranged attacks.

Skirmish (Ex): A frenetic Brawler is best able to fight when flinging himself around the battlefield. So long as he moves 15 feet in a turn, he deal an additional +1d6 damage on every successful attack, regardless of whether the moving was before or after the attacks. If you move on one turn and then do a full round attack the next turn, those attacks get this bonus. as long as you are moving betweenturns/attacks/actions, you get this bonus. This is not precision damage, and affects creatures that are immune to sneak attacks normally.

This damage increases by +1d6 every other level after the second.

Evasion (Ex): At Level 3, the Frenetic Brawler gains evasion as per the Rogue ability. If he already has this ability, he does not gain any extra ability in its place.

Blurry (Ex): At 5th Level, the Frenetic Brawler vibrate slightly when excited, including in combat. Treat the Frenetic Brawler as having constant Concealment. This grants a 20% miss chance on all attacks, but does not aid in Hide attempts.

Swift Footed (Ex): At 5th, 10th, and 15th level, the Frenetic Brawler gains a +10 bonus to all movement types. At 20th Level, the Frenetic Brawler gains a +20 bonus, equaling a total of +50.

Bonus Feat: At 7th Level, a Frenetic Brawler gains the Hoardbreaker, Tome feat (or Combat Reflexes, if Tome feats are not allowed).
At 15th Level, a Frenetic Brawler gains the Whirlwind, Tome feat (or Spring Attack, if Tome feats are not allowed).

Defensive Movements (Ex): At Level 7, the Frenetic Brawler adds (base land speed) divided by 10 to his AC. As he is constantly moving, he retaisns this benifit even if flat footed, but not if uncosious or otherwise immobile.

Spell Resistance (Ex): The Frenetic Brawler gains Spell resistance equal to ((base land speed) divided by 5) + class level (round down). i.e. a level 10 human with a base land speed of 30 would have a spell resistance of 6+10=16.

Wind Walk (Ex): A Frenetic Brawler may act as if he is under the effect of the spell wind walk. This is not a spell or spellike ability. This ability may be activated or deactivated as a free action, but it may only be used for a total of 10 minutes each day.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): As the Barbarian ability.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): As the Barbarian ability.

Evasive Movements (Ex): The Frenetic Brawler gains a bonus to Reflex equal to his (base land speed) divided by 10.

Nimble Footed (Ex): The Frenetic Brawler may move over rough terrain without impediment and may change direction without impediment even while charging or running

Flashing Strike (Ex): The Frenetic Brawler may use all attacks of opportunity available in a given turn at once, if an opponent would ordinarily be subject to a single Sttack of Opportunity. This does not change the number of attacks of opportunity that may be made in a given turn.

Improved Skirmish (Ex): All Skirmish dice are replaced with d10's i.e. a level 20 Frenetic Brawler adds 10d10 to each attack, rather than 10d6.

Hyudra
2011-11-30, 02:17 PM
The core problem with the Frenetic Brawler seems to be that it doesn't do anything.

By this, I mean that the class is loaded down with defensive and general benefits (concealment, initiative, etc), but he really doesn't do enough damage to keep up.

So he wins initiative, moves around the battlefield rather easily, but... doesn't really accomplish anything once he does. Your sole (pretty much) contribution to the actual fight is skirmish damage, but it scales badly... when you're epic level, you're dealing 10d6 damage (35 damage average) when your enemies have 200-900 hitpoints. Add your weapon damage (Let's say we up it to 45 average) and you're still taking 5 rounds average to take down the weakest of the opposition.

Honestly, by the game has reached that point, you're not going to be capable of doing anything. You've still got the core problems of fighters, monks, etc, in that you lack versatility to deal with common tactics that high level creatures will throw at you:

Twitch the Frenetic Brawler is in a 14th level party fighting a sorceress. The sorceress casts Force Cage (Barred Cage) surrounding Twitch and one or two other party members, followed by a cloudkill in the same area.

What can Twitch do?
Essentially, the Frenetic Brawler is very narrow in focus, geared to fight straight-up confrontations without any complicating factors... even a very simple and common complication can end him:

Twitch II is adventuring to avenge his brother. His fifth level party winds up going against a harpy with 1 level of ranger and a longbow, who flies overhead, peppering the party with arrows.

What can Twitch II do?
He can't use ranged weapons - he doesn't have proficiency! So he's grounded, hoping that the harpy will miss enough with her arrows that she runs out of ammunition, or that his party will take care of the situation for him.

Making matters worse, he's still not capable of pulling his own weight in straight up, no-complication confrontations. I mean...

Twitch III is the last scion of the family of warrior coffee merchants, a daughter who took the names of her brothers as she began her quest to avenge them. She's adventured and somehow reached level 7, when she finds herself in a brawl with a Hill Giant, and she can't run around the battlefield pretending to be useful because her companions are too hurt and exhausted of resources to help her. She's in it more or less alone.

(For the record, against an equal CR encounter, by CR math, one is expected to have a 50% chance of success).

She wins initiative and charges with her +2 greatsword. 10 damage average, plus 7 damage average from skirmish dice. Hill Giant has 85 hp left.

Hill Giant attacks her, he deals 13.6 damage a round, average (this is counting the 20% dodge chance from blur). Since Twitch III likely has hp in the neighborhood of 65 or so, this brings her down to 51.

And now Twitch III is kind of in a pinch. She can't exit the giant's threatened area without provoking an attack of opportunity, unless she tumbles, which means she only moves half as far - 20' at best (40' base movement)... which just opens her up to a charge. So her best odds are to stick to melee and continue attacking... but she's only dealing about 10 damage on average each round... and the Giant's dealing 13.6 and the giant has more raw hitpoints.

Twitch III gets mauled pretty much 90% of the time, not 50%.

This isn't a problem with a one sided matchup against an ogre. This is a recurring problem that would crop up encounter after encounter, likely in 75% of the encounters that one could pick out of the books, minimum.

Finally, let me just say the class skills? It's kind of lazy and doesn't make a lot of sense (you know Autohypnosis? Knowledge (the Planes) as well as a ranger knows nature? No. The 'knows all skills' thing is the Factotum's schtick, the trademark of the jack of all trades. Best to give the Frenetic Brawler a proper skill list.

Temotei
2011-11-30, 02:36 PM
Ok, I'm no good at formatting on these threads, but here is the character in a more normal layout. The layout still isn't very clear though. If its hard to read, BAB is 3/4 and Reflex is the only good save.

I'll make it pretty for you. People don't like classes without tables and such.

Frenetic Brawler

Description
Frenetic Brawls are a little twitchy when standing still, but once they start moving they are graceful, swift, and deadly. Their speed is their greatest ability.

Alignment
Generally non-lawful

Hit Die
d10.

Class Skills
ALL skills are class skills, due to the Frenetic Brawler's propensity to dabble and keep moving.

Skill Points at First Level
(2 + Intelligence Modifier) x 4

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
2 + Intelligence Modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Quick to Act +6, Jittery
2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Skirmish +1d6
3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Evasion
4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Skirmish +2d6
5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Blurry, Swift Footed +10
6th|+4|+2|+5|+2|Skirmish +3d6
7th|+5|+2|+5|+2|Bonus Feat, Defensive Movements
8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+2|Skirmish +4d6
9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+3|Spell Resistance
10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+3|Skirmish +5d6, Swift Footed +20
11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+3|Wind Walk
12th|+9/+4|+4|+7|+4|Skirmish +6d6
13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+4|Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge
14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+4|Skirmish +7d6
15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+5|Swift Footed +30, Bonus Feat
16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Skirmish +8d6, Evasive Movements
17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Nimble Footed
18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6|Skirmish +9d6
19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6|Flashing Strike
20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|Skirmish +10d6, Swift Footed +50, Improved Skirmish[/table]

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Proficiency with mele and martial mele weapon and with light armor, but not shields or ranged weapons of any kind.

Quick to Act (Ex): A Frenetic Brawler jumps into battle at the earliest moment that he feels it nessesary. This does not make then unessisarily violent, but they are quick to act when violence is called for. They receive a +8 bonus to intiative that stacks with all other bonuses.

Jittery (Ex): A Frenetic Brawler is not realiable when standing perfectly still. He receives a -8 to hide attempts and a -8 on all ranged attacks.

Skirmish (Ex): A frenetic Brawler is best able to fight when flinging himself around the battlefield. So long as he moves 15 feet in a turn, he deal an additional +1d6 damage on every successful attack, regardless of whether the moving was before or after the attacks. If you move on one turn and then do a full round attack the next turn, those attacks get this bonus. as long as you are moving betweenturns/attacks/actions, you get this bonus. This is not precision damage, and affects creatures that are immune to sneak attacks normally.

This damage increases by +1d6 every other level after the second.

Evasion (Ex): At Level 3, the Frenetic Brawler gains evasion as per the Rogue ability. If he already has this ability, he does not gain any extra ability in its place.

Blurry (Ex): At 5th Level, the Frenetic Brawler vibrate slightly when excited, including in combat. Treat the Frenetic Brawler as having constant Concealment. This grants a 20% miss chance on all attacks, but does not aid in Hide attempts.

Swift Footed (Ex): At 5th, 10th, and 15th level, the Frenetic Brawler gains a +10 bonus to all movement types. At 20th Level, the Frenetic Brawler gains a +20 bonus, equaling a total of +50.

Bonus Feat: At 7th Level, a Frenetic Brawler gains the Hoardbreaker, Tome feat (or Combat Reflexes, if Tome feats are not allowed).
At 15th Level, a Frenetic Brawler gains the Whirlwind, Tome feat (or Spring Attack, if Tome feats are not allowed).

Defensive Movements (Ex): At Level 7, the Frenetic Brawler adds (base land speed) divided by 10 to his AC. As he is constantly moving, he retaisns this benifit even if flat footed, but not if uncosious or otherwise immobile.

Spell Resistance (Ex): The Frenetic Brawler gains Spell resistance equal to ((base land speed) divided by 5) + class level (round down). i.e. a level 10 human with a base land speed of 30 would have a spell resistance of 6+10=16.

Wind Walk (Ex): A Frenetic Brawler may act as if he is under the effect of the spell wind walk. This is not a spell or spellike ability. This ability may be activated or deactivated as a free action, but it may only be used for a total of 10 minutes each day.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): As the Barbarian ability.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): As the Barbarian ability.

Evasive Movements (Ex): The Frenetic Brawler gains a bonus to Reflex equal to his (base land speed) divided by 10.

Nimble Footed (Ex): The Frenetic Brawler may move over rough terrain without impediment and may change direction without impediment even while charging or running

Flashing Strike (Ex): The Frenetic Brawler may use all attacks of opportunity available in a given turn at once, if an opponent would ordinarily be subject to a single Sttack of Opportunity. This does not change the number of attacks of opportunity that may be made in a given turn.

Improved Skirmish (Ex): All Skirmish dice are replaced with d10's i.e. a level 20 Frenetic Brawler adds 10d10 to each attack, rather than 10d6.

I corrected only a couple of spelling errors and then put formatting in. Otherwise, it's untouched.

ieatfood7
2011-11-30, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the detailed analysis. I really appreciate it.

One thing is, what can be done to fix this? The problems you raise seem to be true of almost any non-spellcaster (fighter, barbarian, rogue, etc.). I like skirmish, especially with the Whirlwind, Tome feat, and I have to imagine a skirmish based class can be viable.

For the specific problems you raised:

Freedom of Movement would help a lot, and fits the theme.

I think I should change Wind Walk to a straight flight ability (which had been my origonal plan) with the base land speed and poor control.

I could hive him the ability to turn incorporeal for X turns a day (vibrate so hard he shifts through things)

Maybe give him the ability to not trigger attacks of opportunity for moving through opponent's threatened spaces?

I could up the skirmish dice to d8's at level 6, d10 at 14, and d12 at 20

I doubt these would be enough though, as more probablems are liekly to crop up. I'm not trying to make a completely perfect character, but I am aiming for one more "powerful" than a rogue.

Skills: I agree with you, and I will work on that. I just dislike worrying about in class v. out of class skils and it seemed flavorful. I'll change that for sure soon.

ieatfood7
2011-11-30, 02:45 PM
Thanks for making it look nicer! I'm both new to homebrewing and new to these foums (usually using mythweavers). How do you format it like that? Also, what does "Peach" mean in so many of the other homebrews?

Hyudra
2011-11-30, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the detailed analysis. I really appreciate it.

One thing is, what can be done to fix this? The problems you raise seem to be true of almost any non-spellcaster (fighter, barbarian, rogue, etc.). I like skirmish, especially with the Whirlwind, Tome feat, and I have to imagine a skirmish based class can be viable.

Mobility that actually counts where needed. Ability to get out of a large creature's reach and set yourself up for another skirmish attack, to reach vantage points in the battlefield, yadda yadda.

Actual damage that scales. Believe it or not, rogues & barbarians can actually keep up fairly well. Barbarian with pounce, rage, power attack can do enough damage to matter. Rogue has to fudge it a bit, but can keep up, and contributes other things to the group (skills).

Versatility. It's very cut & dry at the moment.

I think I should change Wind Walk to a straight flight ability (which had been my origonal plan) with the base land speed and poor control.

I could hive him the ability to turn incorporeal for X turns a day (vibrate so hard he shifts through things)

Maybe. But here's my question: Can you name me 3 characters that already exist in fiction that would be "frenetic brawlers"?

Can you describe to me a small temple, monastery, enclave or guild where there's a dozen frenetic brawlers training under a more experienced master?

IMHO, if one can't do any of these, there's a chance your class is beter suited to be a prestige class. As is, you're describing all of these weird powers that appear to come out of nowhere, with no basis in flavor. It's just this guy who trembles and moves fast... I just can't wrap my head around it from a flavor perspective.

Having this guy fly, especially at low levels (where it would be really necessary) changes the entire apparent point of the class to "Get flying and fly" more than anything else.

I could up the skirmish dice to d8's at level 6, d10 at 14, and d12 at 20

Too little, too slow. Going from d6 to d8 is 1 more damage per dice, on average. That's not that significant.

None of the changes you list change the outcome of the fight vs. the harpy or the hill giant (flight, as is, would come too late for you to have it vs. the harpy).

I doubt these would be enough though, as more probablems are liekly to crop up. I'm not trying to make a completely perfect character, but I am aiming for one more "powerful" than a rogue.

A rogue has a much, much easier time of applying sneak attack damage than you have for skirmish, is far more versatile outside of combat, and is generally more versatile in combat.

I'd focus first on being on par with a rogue, then worry about being more powerful.

Thanks for making it look nicer! I'm both new to homebrewing and new to these foums (usually using mythweavers). How do you format it like that? Also, what does "Peach" mean in so many of the other homebrews?

PEACH = Please evaluate and correct honestly, or something approximating that.

jiriku
2011-11-30, 03:01 PM
This has a couple of interesting features, but departs from the rules and convenstions in a couple of odd ways, and needs a little bit of tweaking to really come together.

There's a logical disconnect between having all skills as class skills, and having a class with hardly any skill points that has no real use for any skill other than Tumble. If skills are important to this class, support them with 6+ skill points per level and class features that enhance or benefit from skill use. If skills aren't important, create a minimal class skill list and move on. Either way, I'd recommend 4 skill points per level as the practical minimum for an effective non-spellcasting class.

The d10 HD seems high for a light skirmisher with a Medium base attack bonus. It's not broken, but it seems a bit strange.

I think the phrase you're looking for with weapon proficiencies is "Proficient with all simple and martial melee weapons..." The inability to function in ranged combat is a huge and unnecessary hole in this class's functionality.

Quick to Act / Jittery: The bonuses and penalties granted here are inordinately large. I'd recommend cutting the penalty in half and scaling the initiative bonus in piece-by-piece over the entire class progression.

Skirmish: Your skirmish is different from D&D skirmish. Why? If it needs to be different, I'd suggest that you not name it skirmish, since that will create a different expectation in your readers.

Defensive Movements / Evasive Movements: This ability is problematic because it includes base movement speed in the bonus calculation, and you have no idea what the base movement speed will be. Believe me, it can be optimized quite significantly. I'd suggest you assign a specific, scaling bonus that improves with level, such as the monk has.

Improved Uncanny Dodge / Nimble Footed: These abilities are unimpressive for the level at which they're gained. Other classes got this stuff 5 or 10 levels earlier. The ability to change direction while running or charging is nice, but since the class gains no special benefit for running or charging and can already air walk, it's not as useful as it potentially could be.

Overall Impression
Overall, this class is probably a Tier 5, like the fighter or monk. It's kind of ok in a fight, but it's not customizable and it doesn't really have any options other than "I run up and stab it." Even at its primary talent of hitting and not getting hit in return, it's modestly effective at best, and will be outshined by many other classes.

Suggestions for Improvement
I'd recommend a major increase in skill points, less crushing penalties for ranged combat, regular skirmish like the scout, real class features at each even-numbered level (not just improvements to skirmish), a means of effectively moving and full-attacking in the same round at higher levels, and more features that grant new options and abilities, rather than just hefty bonuses to things that everyone can already do.

Temotei
2011-11-30, 03:18 PM

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode)'s a good bit of information on formatting on these forums.

As for the formatting I used to make your class pretty, I used my favorite formatting setup that's in every Base Class Challenge nowadays. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12291460&postcount=2)'s the post that details the formatting, shown in code and with "noparse", which makes it show up as coding itself. Below is the "noparse" part that you can just copy-paste and fill out with every base class, essentially.

Base Class Name

Put an image of your class here!

Put a quote by or about a member of your class here!

A general description of what your class is!

Adventures: Why your class might adventure.

Characteristics: What your class is capable of.

Alignment: What alignment or alignments your class may have and why.

Religion: What deities or ideals your class follows, if any, and why.

Background: How you become part of your class and why.

Races: What races most often have members of your class, as well as any races that cannot join, along with why.

Other Classes: How your class relates to other classes, positively or negatively, and why.

Role: What your class does in and for a party.

Adaptation: How a DM might change your class to fit into their campaign or unique world setting.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
CLASS NAME's have the following game statistics.
Abilities: A brief description of what ability scores are important to your class.
Alignment: What alignments are available to your class are listed here. "Any" is a possibility.
Hit Die: dx
Starting Age: What age your class starts at level one as normally ("As barbarian," "As bard," and "As cleric" are the standard options, though feel free to put down the numbers, as well.).
Starting Gold: What amount of currency your class starts at level one with normally ("As barbarian," "As cleric," "As druid," "As fighter," "As monk," and "As sorcerer" are the standard options, though feel free to put down the numbers, as well.).

Class Skills
The CLASS NAME's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are...

Skill Points at First Level: (x + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: x + Int modifier

CLASS NAME
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

2nd|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

3rd|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

4th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

5th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

6th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

7th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

8th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

9th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

10th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

11th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

12th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

13th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

14th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

15th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

16th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

17th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

18th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

19th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

20th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the CLASS NAME.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: What weapons and armor your class is proficient in the use of!

All other class features go here (Use the format shown directly below if you don't know what to do.)!

CLASS FEATURE NAME (Ex, Su, Sp, Ps):

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205677)'s a tutorial to making tables I've never seen before now. I just found it while looking for this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313).

Grod_The_Giant
2011-11-30, 06:54 PM
I'd make the air walk a scaling ability. Give it at 5 or 6, but instead of limiting it to X minutes/day, limit it to X rounds in the air. At first, if you don't touch back down in 1 round, you start falling. You can build it up to the point where's it infinite at-will, maybe around level 15

In other mobility terms, I'd give it a scaling bonus against AoOs provoked by movement, up to complete immunity by mid-level. I'd boost the speed bonus, too.

In terms of offense, you should the ability to make multiple attacks while moving. At the very least, grant pounce. Maybe the spring attack/bounding assault/rapid blitz line of feats, or the ability to trade total movement speed for extra attacks or something. A full BAB might also not go amiss.

For more inspiration, check the "Speedster" class in my signature. It's pretty close to what you're imagining.