PDA

View Full Version : YouTube! Oh my God, YouTube!

No brains
2011-12-01, 07:29 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

I tried to open my YouTube page, but I was instead bathed in an offensive spray of chunky fecal matter! Who hacked this shock image onto the Tube!?

In case you can't tell, I don't like the new layout.:smallannoyed: Anyone else?

Soras Teva Gee
2011-12-01, 07:37 PM
And it always suck when they change the design and they never change it back so start getting used to it.

Pokonic
2011-12-01, 07:37 PM
To be fair, it happened to me in the middle of swiching vidios. I thought my setting went insane.:smallmad:

Tengu_temp
2011-12-01, 07:43 PM
Youtube went through several layouts already. Anything legitimately wrong with this one, or just "it's new, I want the old one back"?

Pokonic
2011-12-01, 07:48 PM
Its mostly that, exept this one came in the middle of the day. Was quite the shock. I dont like the colors they chose, as well.

Weezer
2011-12-01, 07:51 PM
Is it just me or is this layout not substantially different from the old? Might just be the fact that I don't pay attention to youtube but it hardly looks changed. Could people point out the differences that are so horrible?

EDIT: Ignore what I just said. Apparently the changes didn't kick in until I loaded. Either way, the changes don't look too bad, just following the "Place everything in a bar on the left" direction that has become popular in web UI recently.

H Birchgrove
2011-12-01, 07:51 PM
I don't mind, looks pretty good IMO.

Choco
2011-12-01, 07:52 PM
Same here, switched right as I was using it. Not really all THAT bad IMO, nothing like the crapfest that cost Kotaku a big chunk of their regulars.

Also, MUCH better than my old college did. Their color scheme was red and white, but sometime after I graduated they went with a poop brown motif. The halls are now poop brown and red. If they were going for the whole "bloody diarrhea" look then they succeeded marvelously. The designer they paid must be laughing his way to the bank.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-12-01, 07:54 PM
Is it just me or is this layout not substantially different from the old? Might just be the fact that I don't pay attention to youtube but it hardly looks changed. Could people point out the differences that are so horrible?

Changing the entire layout to vertical columns from horizontal rows with a vertical column at the end is minor difference to you?

Tebryn
2011-12-01, 07:56 PM
It looks cleaner and nicer for uploads from the people I actually follow. I like it.

Weezer
2011-12-01, 07:58 PM
Changing the entire layout to vertical columns from horizontal rows with a vertical column at the end is minor difference to you?

Yeah, as I said in the edit took a couple reloads for it to pop up, probably had to do with caching or something of that nature. It is a pretty major rework.

Snowbluff
2011-12-01, 07:59 PM
*shudders* youtube used to be so clean and white.

Nows it's cracked pile of funky coding...

Strife Warzeal
2011-12-01, 08:01 PM
I would be more okay with the new layout, if I could figure out how to remove a video from my subscriptions. Though, personally it does look too stretched I preferred the grouping rows, not these long columns so much.

Tirian
2011-12-01, 08:12 PM
I'm continually disappointed with YouTube trying to predict what I want to watch. Yes, sometimes I want to watch cooking tutorials and sometimes I want to watch Simpsons clips and sometimes I want to watch some meme thing in very dubious taste. But I'm not a fan of having someone standing behind me when YouTube says "Oh, welcome back, I found more Pedobear videos for you!!!" :smallmad:

(And I'm probably double not a fan of when Google decides to merge this data into the rest of my google account....)

Weezer
2011-12-01, 08:15 PM
I'm continually disappointed with YouTube trying to predict what I want to watch. Yes, sometimes I want to watch cooking tutorials and sometimes I want to watch Simpsons clips and sometimes I want to watch some meme thing in very dubious taste. But I'm not a fan of having someone standing behind me when YouTube says "Oh, welcome back, I found more Pedobear videos for you!!!" :smallmad:

I view this kind of thing as what you have to pay in order to get this free service. Youtube makes its money by having as many people click on as many videos as possible, and one way of getting more page views is by having recommended videos that are relevant to things it thinks you like pop up as much as possible, in the hopes that one will catch your eye. Yeah it can be irritating, but they're providing an amazing service so I'm good with them 'charging' me this way as opposed to actually making me pay.

Eldan
2011-12-01, 08:39 PM
What is it with grey-grey layouts lately? First Google docs puts grey icons on grey backgrounds, now Youtube?

Talvereaux
2011-12-01, 08:58 PM
What is it with grey-grey layouts lately? First Google docs puts grey icons on grey backgrounds, now Youtube?

Keep in mind YouTube belongs to Google, so that's technically one company.

Tiki Snakes
2011-12-01, 09:02 PM
It seems lately that google and certain other companies are addicted for change for it's own sake, playing some great imaginary game of catch-up with their perceived threats and competitors.

It's getting kind of maddening. This change at least doesn't seem to have directly removed too much functionality though, which is a nice change.

[edit]This might be helpful (http://www.cyberbullying.co.uk/index.php/youtube/privacy/your-guide-to-youtube-privacy-settings-a-activity-sharing.html) if like me you were confused to find all manner of unexpected talk of 'sharing' stuff popping up in the new style.

Oh, and as expected, they've plastered a massive 'Google Plus' entry into my subscriptions list on the main page, despite me not even having any such thing. Which is equal parts annoying and baffling.

Worira
2011-12-01, 09:03 PM
Yeah, Google seems to be really fond of changing things without input from their users and no option to change back.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-12-01, 09:35 PM

I don't get this either. See I remember back in the day what made Google so noticeable and memorable was its sleek white design with no frills. Simple to type, simple to use, simple and straight forward. It was a total break from the other search engines in those distant days a decade ago. And glorious plain white.

Youtube was much the same for a long time too.

I'm don't mean to sound like an old fogey but I keep wondering why Google et all tries to fix designs that weren't broken to begin with.

Triscuitable
2011-12-01, 09:42 PM
I changed videos between "Never Dead" and "So What?". I love the coincidence in this. It's so beautiful.

Maxios
2011-12-01, 09:51 PM
I don't care too much for the new UI. Is there anyway to change it?

Weezer
2011-12-01, 10:34 PM
Yeah, Google seems to be really fond of changing things without input from their users and no option to change back.

Actually they do accept input from users, look at the bottom right there is a feedback button.

Makensha
2011-12-01, 10:39 PM
My OCD for keeping as little clutter as possible will never be satisfied again.

:smallfrown:

Tiki Snakes
2011-12-01, 10:40 PM
Just because there is a button doesn't mean that anyone will read it, let alone act upon it.

They might, but I'd be very, very suprised if anything other than them simply blustering through the fallout happens.

Weezer
2011-12-01, 10:43 PM
Just because there is a button doesn't mean that anyone will read it, let alone act upon it.

They might, but I'd be very, very suprised if anything other than them simply blustering through the fallout happens.

They don't make major changes, the old design isn't coming back, but Google has in the past made corrections to UI when people have valid reasons for wanting the changes made beyond "it's different, grr".

Whiffet
2011-12-01, 11:18 PM
Grey? Grey? Oh, please, no. Not grey! Or gray, whatever you prefer. Point is, not that color.

Actually, the color change isn't a big deal to me. I don't like it, sure, but that'll be easy to adjust to. I dislike how cluttered the main page looks. There's too many recommended videos (and just wait until I talk about subscriptions... eeeeek!), so the page looks too long. I also hate the Google+ and Facebook things listed under my subscriptions on that page. I don't use either. Then again, I guess some people would use those a lot, and I can get used to the clutter.

What really I hate is the videos under my subscriptions. I can't get rid of them! They're the major part of the main page clutter; there are SO MANY! I've had old videos I've seen before randomly pop up there before, but I think every video added to a channel after I first subscribed to it is on that page right now! :smalleek: And they're stuck there! I don't know what to do!

Oh, plus I can't see how much a video has buffered anymore, but that may just be me.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-12-01, 11:21 PM
They don't make major changes, the old design isn't coming back, but Google has in the past made corrections to UI when people have valid reasons for wanting the changes made beyond "it's different, grr".

I consider personal taste to be a valid reason but I know it carries little weight unless we stopped using their sites, which I also know I won't do because I enjoy watching PMVs too much among other things. So I won't see it happen.

No brains
2011-12-01, 11:51 PM
NSFW Harsh Language, Bloody Violence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Fpj-tmRiE&list=FLWaHYAbgOYxI5W98RPVqm1A&feature=mh_lolz

I can't resist pulling this back out of its grave. It's a poignant as a poignard. Poig!

Triscuitable
2011-12-02, 12:02 AM
GMod Idiot Box, NSFW (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Fpj-tmRiE&list=FLWaHYAbgOYxI5W98RPVqm1A&feature=mh_lolz)

I can't resist pulling this back out of its grave. It's a poignant as a poignard. Poig!

Had to fix that for you. There are "from school readers" and "from work readers" here.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-02, 12:14 AM
You get used to the new layout after a while.

My gripe with the new layout that had me convinced I had some primate standing behind me, making a ranged touch attack against my computer screen is that all my subscriptions are haphazardly arranged top-to-bottom according to who uploaded first. Even worse, videos that the people that I subscribe to favorite show up on that list, videos the COMMENT ON show up on that list, and videos they LIKE show up on that list. So if Machinima by some miracle uploads a gem, it's gonna get knocked down by CodMontager1, CodMontager2, CodMontager3, CodMontager 4, CoDGameplayCommentary 9001, IGDaily (you get the idea) all uploading their garbage at the exact same time. God Forbid my 20 other subscriptions (which is the number of video thumbnails that show up on the front page now :smallyuk:) all decide to like a video I could care less about.

Also, why are my recommendations stashed away in some widget on the edge of the screen? Seriously, I LOVE those things!

Really, this is just getting annoying. YouTube, I know you can't hear me, and I know that even if I were screaming this in the ear of whoever is running the damn site that it would be completely disregarded, but please, just...let us choose what layout we want to see.

Weezer
2011-12-02, 12:32 AM
I consider personal taste to be a valid reason but I know it carries little weight unless we stopped using their sites, which I also know I won't do because I enjoy watching PMVs too much among other things. So I won't see it happen.

Sadly personal taste wont cut it, they have come to the conclusion that these changes will make the site better/more attractive in some way and unless your gripe is something like ''the icons on the side are too small to read'' it probably wont make a difference. For better or for worse this is a 'popular' UI style for now and like previous UI designs it'll go out of style in time.

As for the jumbling of stuff people you follow into your subscriber feed that's another implementation of the whole social networkification of the internet, something I'm really against. I really don't care what anyone on youtube does besides upload videos I want to watch.

Psyren
2011-12-02, 02:04 AM
I like it. My one criticism is the browser page icon - silver arrow on red box is way too generic, it looks like the stock media player on my palm or something.

willpell
2011-12-02, 02:13 AM
YouTube has us by the Masterwork Orbs and it knows this; I believe they have embarked upon a calculated campaign of annoying the poulace who helplessly depends upon them, just to amuse themselves while they sit and watch over the series of tubes like security guards both wishing and dreading that something happens.

My two chief complaints are this:

* I have to click through four freaking links to get to my list of playlists, because the annoying popup thumbs on the main page just play the playlist in question, they don't enable you to edit it, or to see them all in a scrollable vertical list. This is annoying.

* When YouTube yanks a video for legal or user-related reasons, not only is the video removed from all playlists, but those playlists' owners are left with nothing but "Video deleted" or "Private Video" or the like, with no identifier of what the video actually was. I almost exclusively use YT for music videos; if they yank someone's specific upload of an MV, I could certainly find another one with the same song, or even a separate upload of the same MV by someone whose account has not been terminated for multiple third-party violations. By leaving no trace of what they've removed from my playlist, it's like they not only broke into my house and stole part of my music collection, but lobotomized me to have no memory of having ever owned what they removed. This is an intolerable violation, and there's Ooze-all that I can do about it.

Psyren
2011-12-02, 02:22 AM
This is an intolerable violation, and there's Ooze-all that I can do about it.

Sure there is - keep a master list of the stuff you've favorited outside of youtube.

factotum
2011-12-02, 02:35 AM
I haven't had much of a chance to look at it yet, because it hadn't changed when I did my browsing last night, but I actually like the way it shows my subscriptions in a single vertical column by date...never did like the old system where it was kind of hard to tell what the old and new videos were (because it was always sorted by when the most recent video was uploaded by each subscription).

dgnslyr
2011-12-02, 02:44 AM
Is it me, or does the new layout make it look suspiciously like facebook? Not a huge fan, but I have a feeling most people will barely notice the change in a few weeks.

Kato
2011-12-02, 03:29 AM
Meh... I really don't care for the new layout one way or the other... some stuff better, some worse... But I wish they would decide on one layout already! It feels like they change it just for the sake of changing it.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-02, 11:31 AM
Meh, new layout doesn't bug me.

Yora
2011-12-02, 11:40 AM
Youtube went through several layouts already. Anything legitimately wrong with this one, or just "it's new, I want the old one back"?

I know only a single page on which people actually like a new page design, and it's the special annual christmas front page during december, that actually is terribly missed come each january.
Other than that, I don't know of a single case where people said "Damn, this page design is old, they really have to come up with something better and more modern!".

Kobold-Bard
2011-12-02, 03:14 PM
... Though, personally it does look too stretched I preferred the grouping rows, not these long columns so much.

This, except much more aggressively expressed. The last one was good, it worked the way I wanted it to. Now I have to scroll down pages and stuff :smallannoyed:

Trog
2011-12-02, 10:11 PM
From a graphic design standpoint the new site is much cleaner looking. I approve.

Mauve Shirt
2011-12-02, 10:19 PM
I really dislike the whole black sidebars thing that every site is doing. It's like they want me to not look at the content and look at the menu instead. The grey just serves to make the site less cheerful.

Thufir
2011-12-03, 11:24 AM
I haven't had much of a chance to look at it yet, because it hadn't changed when I did my browsing last night, but I actually like the way it shows my subscriptions in a single vertical column by date...never did like the old system where it was kind of hard to tell what the old and new videos were (because it was always sorted by when the most recent video was uploaded by each subscription).

Whereas I much preferred it like that, because what if (Goddess forbid) I didn't watch a video the moment it was uploaded, or even soon after? I don't want that video to be pushed down to the bottom of my subscriptions. Having it pop up again when that subscriber posts another video was really helpful.
As to telling which the new and old videos were... it marks all the ones you've already watched, even if you can't remember that you've already watched them.
Also, it just looked much neater the old way, plus what Mauve said about the menu, it's far too stark a contrast against the fairly light background (And it is still fairly light, even if it is now grey instead of white), and, frankly, there is nothing in it that I will ever use.
It really is trying to turn youtube into a social networking site, and while for some people it can be that to some extent, for I think the vast majority of users, it's just a place to watch videos.

Fortunately, for the moment at least: http://www.youtube.com/home

Cespenar
2011-12-03, 11:37 AM
I found a great way to prevent youtube and my google account to "synergize" and save every single video that I watch.

I stopped using my google account. :smallsigh:

Leliel
2011-12-03, 01:59 PM
On this subject:

Ahem.. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JODwetfioWA)

grimbold
2011-12-03, 02:03 PM
oh dear... :smalleek:

Mordokai
2011-12-03, 02:11 PM
I don't much care for the new look. In fact, I would venture as far to say that I actively dislike it.

But that has never bothered anybody and I doubt anything will change now, so I might as well get used to it. The amount of usage of youtube is not great anyway and I'm not even registered, so it's not really a big problem anyway.

H Birchgrove
2011-12-03, 02:51 PM
You can change colours of the background, if you want to. I don't mind light grey, but if I get tired of it, I may do it.

Gaelbert
2011-12-03, 03:55 PM
Youtube has a new layout? Huh. I didn't notice.
Literally the only thing I did notice is the little icon on the tab changed. I don't like the change, but it's so minor that I'll get used to it in a day or so.

Jahkaivah
2011-12-03, 04:41 PM
I miss when youtube comments actually linked to the comments they were responding to.

Elder Tsofu
2011-12-03, 05:05 PM
Seems quite ok, I like the colours although it looks pretty generic.
- small-time user

H Birchgrove
2011-12-03, 05:45 PM
I miss when youtube comments actually linked to the comments they were responding to.

Agreed. It's annoying to have to scroll down to find it. Shouldn't be too hard to fix proper links.

Marnath
2011-12-03, 05:47 PM
You can change colours of the background, if you want to. I don't mind light grey, but if I get tired of it, I may do it.

How is this accomplished?

Ravens_cry
2011-12-03, 05:51 PM
The new tab icon (red rounded rectangle with a play symbol? Really? How much did that cost you, Google?) is awfully generic and the grey on black reduces contrast; this is especially annoying in bright lighting conditions, but I like that it again tells you HOW much over the character limit you are again.
I debate conspiracy theorists on youtube, and you really got to cram as much information as you can while still remaining clear.
Do I need to use a shorter synonym or is a few contractions enough?
Now I know.

Weezer
2011-12-03, 05:59 PM
The new tab icon (red rounded rectangle with a play symbol? Really? How much did that cost you, Google?) is awfully generic and the grey on black reduces contrast; this is especially annoying in bright lighting conditions, but I like that it again tells you HOW much over the character limit you are again.
I debate conspiracy theorists on youtube, and you really got to cram as much information as you can while still remaining clear.
Do I need to use a shorter synonym or is a few contractions enough?
Now I know.

The tab icon is a really bad move, you need those icons to be unique and easily recognizable, which a play button is certainly not.

Ravens_cry
2011-12-03, 06:03 PM
The tab icon is a really bad move, you need those icons to be unique and easily recognizable, which a play button is certainly not.
It's recognizable, but not as Youtube. :smalltongue:
Why they simply didn't go for a scaled down version of their normal logo, which they still have, as they did before, is beyond me.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-03, 06:44 PM
My first impression was that it now looks disturbingly similar to MySpace.

Grif
2011-12-03, 08:47 PM
I hope they'll include an option to revert to the 'classic' look. It'll really be the best of both worlds.

Pokonic
2011-12-03, 09:10 PM
Indeed, I prefered the old colors. The new one looks a bit, say, washed out.

Worira
2011-12-03, 10:16 PM
Yeah, the tab icon bugs me too.