PDA

View Full Version : The Muppets

Tectonic Robot
2011-12-02, 09:15 AM
Hey, guys! I don't think the muppet movie, or the muppets themselves have a thread yet! Shocking, I know.

So, uh, go ahead and discuss muppet related things here, then. Have some concept of Uncle Deadly while you're at it.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070605015021/muppet/images/1/1f/Uncledeadlysketch.jpg

DiscipleofBob
2011-12-02, 10:39 AM
Haven't seen it yet.

For those who have, please tell me: Is it worth seeing, or if I spend the money for the theater will my childhood be horribly crushed?

Tectonic Robot
2011-12-02, 11:09 AM
I thought it was glorious. I was nostalging even though I never watched the original series. You should totally go see it.

Aidan305
2011-12-02, 12:22 PM
I've heard many good things about it. Unfortunately, for some unfathomable reason, it's not available here for another three months.

Worguron
2011-12-02, 12:31 PM
I loved it. I'll be completely honest, I was a hairsbreath away from tears during Kermit's first song.

Dienekes
2011-12-02, 01:46 PM
It was a rather cliched movie. As soon as pretty much any plot point is introduced you can guess how it will end, and you will almost invariably be correct. A couple of scenes fell completely flat, such as the introduction of Animal, as well as several of the villains scenes. I get it, you're reading "Evil Laugh" from the script, it isn't all that funny. I also found myself annoyed by the human characters, especially the not really drama but there needs to be tension moments they add near the end that play out with little sense of purpose other than it is normal for movies to have moments like that. And the ending is a complete cop-out.

So obviously, I loved it. Had myself a frightfully good time. Except for a few misses the jokes are great, the music can be amazingly over the top and some you can really tell the Flight of the Conchords roots, and the muppet characters are as awesome as I remember them. I definitely recommend anyone go see it.

PPA
2011-12-02, 02:38 PM
I guess it'll all depend on whether you loved the Muppets as a kid and how recelntly you've seen any of their movies.

For me, having not seen any of them in close to 20 years, it was a really good experience. I loved The Muppets Show back in the early 80's when they still showed it, and I loved the original 3 movies as well. Jim Henson was a big part of my childhood memories (Sesame Street, the Muppets, the Dark Crystal, Star Wars, etc.) and seeing a movie true to his work was great.

As already mentioned, not a terribly innovative movie, but that's okay. It was clearly a labor of love, and that's to be recognized.

Tectonic Robot
2011-12-02, 04:37 PM
It was cliched, it new it was cliched, and it took it's cliches and ran with it. I found it immensely entertaining.

The human characters were ok in my book, and the songs were glorious. Especially
The one about being a man or a muppet.

The villain could of been better, yeah.

classy one
2011-12-03, 12:03 AM
Just saw and it was lovely. There have been a lot of movies exploiting my childhood favorites, but this one felt like the old Muppets. The fact Jason segal is is a huge plus. He was awesome in forgetting Sarah Marshal, especially the muppets Draula, and I believe he did a lot of the music. This clearly was a labor of love for him and the results were great.

Only small complaint I have is that Jack Black didn't really want to host the show. The Muppets' show seemed right up his alley. But that was probably because he didn't want to steal the show. When NPH said "No, I don't know why I'm not hosting" I was wondering the exact same thing.

Great movie. Go watch it so It can beat Twilight!

Starscream
2011-12-03, 01:50 AM
If you like Muppets, you will like this movie.
If you don't like Muppets, you will not like this movie.

Yes, there are indeed people who do not like Muppets. I had the displeasure of attending a screening with one such individual (and three sane people).

The car ride home was him complaining, and pretty much everything he complained about was everything that defines Muppets. "Why do the puppets still look like they're from the seventies? Why do they keep breaking the fourth wall? Why does the pig like the frog? Why weren't the bear's jokes funny? Why is the blue thing with the big nose so crazy?"

To which our only response is "What the hell were you expecting?! Haven't you ever seen Muppets before?!"

He actually said "Yeah, but they're still so...Muppetty. I thought they'd have changed them by now."

*Headdesk*
But yeah, this movie is indeed very "Muppetty". Far more so than their last couple of offerings. It's much more in the spirit of the films made when Henson was still alive. And I think it's a good return to form, since their more recent films were a distinct step down in quality.

Take Muppet Wizard of Oz, for instance. Had one scene I actually liked; Quentin Tarantino of all people has a completely bizarre cameo which derails the entire film for a couple of minutes, and is so out of nowhere that it's hysterical. This movie is a lot more in that nonsensical style, and all the better for it.

kpenguin
2011-12-03, 05:53 AM
I get it, you're reading "Evil Laugh" from the script, it isn't all that funny. I

Apparently this was somewhat of a mini plot point that was cut. Tex Richman is unable to laugh. When he was a child, he watched the Muppet Show with his friends, but his inability to laugh at the show lead to his friends turning and laughing at him, the experience leading him to hate the Muppets.

A benefit of his bowling ball based blow to the brain is that whatever mental block against laughter he had is gone.

Lots of things were cut from the film. I hope we get an extended edition or a director's cut.

Kurgan
2011-12-03, 07:48 PM
I loved this movie. The complete lack of fourth wall, all of the celebrity cameos, the humor. This movie feels like it was made just for me. The only area that I was underwhelmed by was the very end, where they seemed to wrap up everything in the two minutes before the credits rolled. Felt a bit rushed.

Still, best movie I've seen in a fair while, and first movie in a while I've actually wanted to see so bad I went the day it came out. What can I say, I'm a Muppet man.

Mewtarthio
2011-12-03, 07:53 PM
Still, best movie I've seen in a fair while, and first movie in a while I've actually wanted to see so bad I went the day it came out. What can I say, I'm a Muppet man.

Or are you perhaps a very manly Muppet (very manly Muppet)?

Kurgan
2011-12-03, 07:54 PM

I believe I am quite the Muppet of a Man. :smallbiggrin:

Kalinda
2011-12-03, 07:55 PM
It's pretty much a love letter to the muppets and succeeds gloriously. I was grinning if not laughing out loud the entire movie. The entire theater seemed to be doing the same, including the group of teens and twenty-somethings next to us who weren't even born when the show was on.

BiblioRook
2011-12-04, 09:44 PM

Reading this I can't help think of Sweetums
http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/5/51/Sweetumstms.jpg

Eurus
2011-12-04, 09:47 PM
I loved it. I'll be completely honest, I was a hairsbreath away from tears during Kermit's first song.

I know, right? That was impressively emotional, for... a frog puppet. :smallbiggrin:

The first song was awesome too. It was so delightfully, unabashedly hammy.

McStabbington
2011-12-04, 10:43 PM
It was all I could do not to sing along when the busted out the "Rainbow Connection". So I settled for a few manly tears.

Vacant
2011-12-05, 02:44 AM
The Muppets are just great and this movie is, too. Amy Adams hasn't really been getting enough praise, she did her role pretty much perfectly.

Avilan the Grey
2011-12-05, 02:45 AM
The Muppets are just great and this movie is, too. Amy Adams hasn't really been getting enough praise, she did her role pretty much perfectly.

Well I have had a huge crush on her since well, forever, so...

Xondoure
2011-12-06, 11:07 PM
Saw it. Loved it. Have been singing the tunes ever since.

Balain
2011-12-07, 12:56 AM
The Muppets was a great movie you should see it.

Would love to see them bring the muppets back. Would be cool to see Jason Seagal be one of the writers of a new Muppet show.

I saw him on the tonight show talking about the muppets and him pitching it to Disney. it was very entertaining.

dehro
2011-12-07, 10:34 AM
you know the muppets are a good thing when they manage to distract a 33yo man from his job and make him smile in anticipation.
the fact that this movie exists hasn't really been advertised much... yet, in these parts, because it will be in theatres in about 3 months from now.
in fact I didn't know about it until I read this thread.
my day is suddenly much brighter now.

Scarlet Knight
2011-12-07, 09:34 PM
I'm surprised but glad to hear so many loved it. The movie was so hyped before Thanksgiving, then *poof* ...I heard nothing. So I simply assumed it turned out bad.

Squark
2011-12-08, 12:53 PM
No, I think most Muppet Fans are merely recovering from the shock of things.

I spent the entire film altering between Cheering and laughing hystericly, and I was born in the 90's (Mind you, I own every Muppet Feature Film, and the first three seasons of the show on DvD, and a couple issues of the comic book, and I have a stuffed Kermit falling off the Gargantuan Black Dragon mini in my dorm room- Scuse me I have to fix it... Actually, he's still mounted on it.)

Oh, and the Muppet Movie is currently playing in the background because the silence was killing me. So, yeah, I'm not an objective observer. For what it's worth though, The Muppets was the most fun I've ever had in a theater (not that I'm a big Movie Theater guy).

EDIT: This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pu0wpJEtw8&feature=channel_video_title) video on their Youtube channel should answer your question on how the movie did. It's still got a 97% on Rotten tomatoes, and only Twilight is out performing it money wise presently.

And Here's Howard Tayler's review (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/blog/muppets-review). (He loved it, and thought it actually got better the second time he saw it.

Friv
2011-12-08, 01:12 PM
I'm going to chime in and say that I loved this movie so much.

SO MUCH.

I had only one complaint for the whole thing, which is a pretty small one. It's also a major spoiler, so read on at your own discretion.
I thought it was sort of odd/sad that Walter never managed to realize that he was ruining things for his brother, nor did he have to make amends. He just continued to take things for granted until Gary came back to help him one last time, and then was bolstered one last time to succeed.

Mewtarthio
2011-12-08, 03:23 PM
I had only one complaint for the whole thing, which is a pretty small one. It's also a major spoiler, so read on at your own discretion.
I thought it was sort of odd/sad that Walter never managed to realize that he was ruining things for his brother, nor did he have to make amends. He just continued to take things for granted until Gary came back to help him one last time, and then was bolstered one last time to succeed.

I got the impression that Gary genuinely did love his little brother. He never seemed to think that he was obligated to sacrifice his love life for Walter: He just did everything he could for him and didn't notice that his girlfriend felt ignored. The conflict isn't "Walter is ruining Gary's life"; it's "Gary has trouble balancing his relationships."

Granted, in a realistic story, Gary probably should have talked with Walter about his decision, if for no other reason than to explain why he's about to suddenly run off.

Shyftir
2011-12-15, 04:58 PM
Funniest thing I've seen all year.

Especially liked the Chicken number.

I realize now that the Muppets were meta before meta was cool. Also that I've loved meta my entire life and didn't know it.

grimbold
2011-12-16, 08:16 PM
Especially liked the Chicken number.

I

theres a song about chickens?

MUST SEE

Tectonic Robot
2011-12-16, 09:31 PM
theres a song about chickens?

MUST SEE

It's really more... er, spoilers.

Really more performed by chickens, but funny nonetheless!

Friv
2011-12-16, 11:37 PM
I got the impression that Gary genuinely did love his little brother. He never seemed to think that he was obligated to sacrifice his love life for Walter: He just did everything he could for him and didn't notice that his girlfriend felt ignored. The conflict isn't "Walter is ruining Gary's life"; it's "Gary has trouble balancing his relationships."

Granted, in a realistic story, Gary probably should have talked with Walter about his decision, if for no other reason than to explain why he's about to suddenly run off.

Spoilery-reply.

Oh, absolutely. Gary's character problem was that he had to realize that it was time to balance his relationships, and that Walter could actually get by without him.

But on the other side, Walter needed to realize the same thing. He'd come to take Gary's help for granted, to the point that when Gary was talking to him about how angry Mary was, he still couldn't see anything but his own talent-based problems, and his own life and worries. He even went so far as to claim that the Muppets were the whole reason that the group had gone to L.A., when Gary did that for him as a special favour on his own trip.

Basically, Walter was totally self-absorbed for the whole movie, and he never so much as hinted at realizing that this could be an issue.

TheSweetieMan
2011-12-16, 11:42 PM
I loved it. I'll be completely honest, I was a hairsbreath away from tears during Kermit's first song. You did better than me, I cried so hard at that!

Eldest
2011-12-17, 12:04 AM
It was all I could do not to sing along when the busted out the "Rainbow Connection". So I settled for a few manly tears.

I actually did sing along (quietly). So did half the theater.
And I was born far after the Muppet Show stopped being produced, but I'm a bit of a special case there (it was my go-to show to watch, when my parents would get a copy on video). Now I need the show on DVD. Who said they had a copy, and where did you get it?

TheSweetieMan
2011-12-17, 12:10 AM
I saw box sets at Best Buy and/or Target

grimbold
2011-12-17, 08:42 AM
i remember i watched every episode of the muppets show in my puppetry class in 7th grade (Hey, we needed something to do while we were sewing)

Aotrs Commander
2011-12-21, 09:12 AM
I was having a minor panic attack, seeing this thread and then noticing the Muppets wasn't on at the cinema, and then wondering if I'd somehow missed it. Then I saw the trailer again at the cinema today and on investigation, found out we in the UK have to wait another three months (something I'm sure must have been brought up and whinged at already, but it's totally worth whinging again!)

The heck?

A three month gap? (Without even the feeble excuse video games get of having some of the bugs ironed out and extra content added in...?) That's kinda unlike standard practise, isn't it? Most movies these days seem to be (more-or-less, plus or minus a week-ish) simultaneously released internationally (even other Disney and Muppet films), from a quick check... Anybody know why they set up such an odd release schedule?

Tiki Snakes
2011-12-21, 11:38 AM
I was having a minor panic attack, seeing this thread and then noticing the Muppets wasn't on at the cinema, and then wondering if I'd somehow missed it. Then I saw the trailer again at the cinema today and on investigation, found out we in the UK have to wait another three months (something I'm sure must have been brought up and whinged at already, but it's totally worth whinging again!)

The heck?

A three month gap? (Without even the feeble excuse video games get of having some of the bugs ironed out and extra content added in...?) That's kinda unlike standard practise, isn't it? Most movies these days seem to be (more-or-less, plus or minus a week-ish) simultaneously released internationally (even other Disney and Muppet films), from a quick check... Anybody know why they set up such an odd release schedule?

I was ubelievably glad to find out I hadn't missed it, in identical circumstances basically, just this weekend.

Shyftir
2011-12-21, 02:34 PM
I just wanna point out that even despicably evil floating skulls like the Muppets. That pretty much means anybody who doesn't is either a complete moron or insane.

Aotrs Commander
2011-12-21, 03:04 PM
I just wanna point out that even despicably evil floating skulls like the Muppets. That pretty much means anybody who doesn't is either a complete moron or insane.

Yes, but I also like Ponies, Pokemon, Naruto (the English dub, and especially the filler arcs), all seven Harry Potter books including the epilogue, Hannah Montana and the Star Wars prequels, so I wouldn't bank on me adding too much credibility to the cause...

(About as much as I add to MLP:FiM, actually...)

Though your point is, of course, still entirely valid.

(Also, I'm actually a skeletal Spirit-Bound Lich Commadore of a high-tech-high-thaumatuergy space-faring paramilitary galactic major power with a rocket launcher, but let's not split hairs...)

Tectonic Robot
2011-12-21, 03:57 PM
Yes, but I also like Ponies, Pokemon, Naruto (the English dub, and especially the filler arcs), all seven Harry Potter books including the epilogue, Hannah Montana and the Star Wars prequels, so I wouldn't bank on me adding too much credibility to the cause...

(About as much as I add to MLP:FiM, actually...)

Though your point is, of course, still entirely valid.

(Also, I'm actually a skeletal Spirit-Bound Lich Commadore of a high-tech-high-thaumatuergy space-faring paramilitary galactic major power with a rocket launcher, but let's not split hairs...)

...Hannah Montanna...

Anyway! Favorite muppets, anyone?

Shyftir
2011-12-21, 04:34 PM
Gonzo. Just Gonzo.

Also, If we include Sesame Street Muppets, Grover.

Eldest
2011-12-21, 05:38 PM
The Swedish Chef. He just causes so much mayhem.

dehro
2011-12-22, 05:48 AM
Animal ...also, the cookiemonster

grimbold
2011-12-22, 07:28 AM
You did better than me, I cried so hard at that!

if its a tearjerker I HAVE to go

Friv
2011-12-22, 09:11 AM
My favorite muppet is Sam the American Eagle, with Swedish Chef as a close second.

Eurus
2011-12-22, 04:26 PM
Miss Piggy will always hold a special place in my heart.

Dienekes
2011-12-22, 04:51 PM
Favorite muppet? How can I pick just one?
Yeah, they're all so bad, it's impossible to decide.
DOOH-hohoho!

Waldorf and Statler all the way.

Mercenary Pen
2011-12-23, 08:32 AM
Favourite muppet(s):

Beaker and Doctor Bunsen Honeydew.

Tectonic Robot
2011-12-23, 02:38 PM
Ack, so many choices... I like Beaker, Statler and Waldorf, the chef... most of 'em, really.

Sha'uri
2011-12-30, 06:58 PM
My husband and I went and saw it. I thought it was okay, it was a bit cheesy, but it was supposed to be. Though, we did start cracking up laughing when the muppet was singing "Am I a muppet, or am I a man" in the mirror....(mostly because of the actor in the reflection since we're Big Bang Theory fans):smallbiggrin:

Tragic_Comedian
2011-12-30, 07:02 PM
It was the best movie I've seen all year. Me and my aunt went to see it and we were literally the only people in the theater. It was so good. I'd see it again right now. And yeah, the chicken song was the best song in the whole picture. The film's only flaw was that it spent a little too much time on the new characters. But it was still a great flick.

if its a tearjerker I HAVE to go
It's really not. At least not to me. But people react different ways.

My favorite Muppet is Gonzo.

Random_person
2011-12-31, 10:14 AM
I cried. Six times. And I'm OK with that, because it was the best movie ever.

littlekKID
2011-12-31, 06:29 PM
I never saw the Muppets before the movie (unless you count the trailers) and I loved every second of it! It's everything I love -Heartwarming, funny, well written, doesn't treat kids like dumbasses, full of great songs, self aware ,colorful and cute. the plot might be weak, but it's not about the plot, the plot is just an excuse for Muppets :smallsmile:, and it was mostly harmless.

I just watched the movie a second time today and it was still great, I sung "The Rainbow Connection" all the way home and I hear the soundtrack every time I get sad. :smallsmile:

conclusion: I need to see the original Muppet Show

turkishproverb
2011-12-31, 09:45 PM
conclusion: I need to see the original Muppet Show

The first three seasons are on DVD, though the first one was edited slightly.

In addition, all the theatrical movies are available on either DVD and/or blue ray. I'd watch "The Muppet Movie" at the very least, as it gives context to "The Muppets". Though both films are in-universe movies.

incidentally, I loved the film, love that they gave Uncle Deadly a crowning moment of Awesome.