PDA

View Full Version : Im looking for the trope name

Traab
2011-12-04, 10:48 AM
Ive been trying to guess it but keep just missing and being unable to find the link. Whats the trope name for the insistence of fans on the hero and bad guy having unresolved sexual tension, or insisting on putting them together in fanfiction? You see it in ff7 with cloud and sephiroth, sasuke and naruto, harry and draco. Its not always yaoi, those are just the most popular examples I can think of. I dunno, maybe it is just a yaoi fetish, but then again, a lot of these various stories just happen to have two same gender characters as antagonist and protagonist.

kamikasei
2011-12-04, 10:52 AM
Do you mean Foe Yay (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FoeYay) (or possibly Foe Yay Shipping (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FoeYayShipping)), or something different? I don't think Foe Yay actually requires the pairing to be same-sex, but that seems to be how it often works out.

Traab
2011-12-04, 11:07 AM
I think foe yay shipping is the one. The basic gist is that there is no real reason to think the protagonist and antagonist are attracted to each other, but the fans try to twist things until they can make it work. Thanks for the help, I knew it had to be a trope but I couldnt think of the right way to type out the search.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-04, 01:53 PM
You see it in ff7 with cloud and sephiroth, sasuke and naruto, harry and draco.

Don't forget Aang/Zuko, and is it possible to say it counts for Roy/Xykon?:smallwink:

Traab
2011-12-04, 02:04 PM
Don't forget Aang/Zuko, and is it possible to say it counts for Roy/Xykon?:smallwink:

The vast majority tend to be yaoi-ish, but I dont know if thats intentional, or just a side effect of the main characters tending to both be men. And the worst part is that most of the time there isnt ANY sign of mutual hidden attraction short of, "They fight alot" No %$# they fight alot, they are ENEMIES! When you have a bad guy intent on destroying the world, and a good guy intent on saving it, they CAN in fact, fight each other without wanting hot sweaty man sex with each other.

Tengu_temp
2011-12-04, 02:20 PM
It's fangirls interpreting any kind of intense emotion between two characters as romantic/sexual. They do that, just like fanboys argue endlessly whose favorite character would win in combat. Both are equally annoying.

Mewtarthio
2011-12-04, 02:52 PM
And the worst part is that most of the time there isnt ANY sign of mutual hidden attraction short of, "They fight alot" No %$# they fight alot, they are ENEMIES! When you have a bad guy intent on destroying the world, and a good guy intent on saving it, they CAN in fact, fight each other without wanting hot sweaty man sex with each other.

I blame romantic comedies. You just know two people are meant for each other when they're constantly at each other's throats.

kamikasei
2011-12-04, 03:09 PM
The basic gist is that there is no real reason to think the protagonist and antagonist are attracted to each other, but the fans try to twist things until they can make it work.
I'd class that as two separate things: Foe Yay or whatever describes the relationship, and Shipping Goggles (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShippingGoggles) for the tendency to see evidence of X Yay everywhere.

Shyftir
2011-12-08, 12:46 AM
I blame romantic comedies. You just know two people are meant for each other when they're constantly at each other's throats.

For which you should blame Shakespeare... (Though he probably stole it from something too.)

Lord Seth
2011-12-08, 12:56 AM
For which you should blame Shakespeare... (Though he probably stole it from something too.)Really? Most of his romantic comedies--at least the ones I've seen/read--don't fit that mold. The Tempest is practically the polar opposite.

Dienekes
2011-12-08, 04:46 PM
Really? Most of his romantic comedies--at least the ones I've seen/read--don't fit that mold. The Tempest is practically the polar opposite.

Much Ado About Nothing has Benedict and Beatrice. I remember them getting together confusing the hell out of me as a kid since they appear to hate each other the entire time.

I still don't really get it. But then I always tended to agree much more with their mockery of romanticism earlier in the play.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-08, 11:08 PM
Do Guts and Griffith count?

Serpentine
2011-12-09, 01:43 AM
Much Ado About Nothing has Benedict and Beatrice. I remember them getting together confusing the hell out of me as a kid since they appear to hate each other the entire time.

I still don't really get it. But then I always tended to agree much more with their mockery of romanticism earlier in the play.My dad was in the play a little while ago, and pointed out how many gaping plot holes there were in it. Still good, though.

The Taming of the Shrew also applies.

Curious
2011-12-09, 01:46 AM
Do Guts and Griffith count?

Oh, yeah. The subtext was always there. I mean- they had a naked water fight.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-09, 02:08 AM
Oh, yeah. The subtext was always there. I mean- they had a naked water fight.

So? Isn't that the type of normal thing that normal guys do all the time when they're being all normal and normal?

Traab
2011-12-09, 09:00 AM
My dad was in the play a little while ago, and pointed out how many gaping plot holes there were in it. Still good, though.

The Taming of the Shrew also applies.

Driving Miss Daisy. They were WAY into each other.