PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder- Reduced power Medusa, PEACH

Rift_Wolf
2011-12-06, 01:26 PM
I've been looking at having a Medusa turn up as a villain in one of my dungeons, but CR7 is a bit too harsh for the party at the moment and the save-or-die of the gaze attack seems a bit harsh, especially in a fortitude-weak party. I also didn't like how the Medusa had racial hit dice, as it seemed against my idea of gorgons infiltrating a city via the thieves guild. Shouldn't they be defined more by their training, as humans are?
So I homebrewed a weaker form of the Medusa, still with the vital parts of the myth while making them more flexible as a villain.

Medusa- Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Medusas are defined by their class levels; they do not have racial hit dice.

They also have the following abilities.

+4 Dex, +4 Cha- Medusas are lithe and seductive.

Darkvision 60ft

30ft Base land speed

All-round vision- Medusas are never flanked and gain a +4 to Perception checks due to their snake hair.

Petrifying Gaze (Su)- Anyone within 30ft looking directly at a Medusa must make a Fortitude save or take 1d4 Dexterity damage. Those reduced to 0 Dexterity by this effect are turned to stone permanently. The save DC is 10+Half the Medusas Hit Dice+Charisma Modifier.
While Medusas cannot suppress this ability, they can take measure to hide their eyes or faces to prevent allies from being harmed.

CR: A medusa's CR is equal to its class levels +2.

If anyone can suggest anything I might've overlooked. This wouldn't be allowed as a playable race; I just wanted to weaken the Medusa to CR 4-5.