PDA

View Full Version : The One-Man Army [PrC] (PEACH)

Chikin'Soup
2011-12-08, 04:03 PM
<BUMP'd> Using some suggestions. Swapped Deadly Finish and Sudden Flourish, and edited them a bit. Upped the bonus cap on Thrill of the Kill.

Post #1
Something I drummed up while grumbling at how useless Cleave was.
Although now I believe I might end up grumbling at how overpowered I made this class... What do you think? I'd really like some opinions, because this is the first time I put any of my homebrew online. :smallsmile:

ONE-MAN ARMY (version 1.1)
"Roy has boobies!" - Elan, from the Order of the Stick

Requirements
Strength: 15
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Feats: Cleave, Great Cleave

Basics
Skills: As fighter.
Hit Die: d10

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Moving Cleave

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|On a Hill of Corpses

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Finisher (1/round)

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Finisher

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Charging Cleave

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Finisher (2/round)

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Thrill of the Kill

8th|
+8|
+6|
+3|
+3|Lion's Charge

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|Finisher (3/round)

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Deathly Flourish[/table]

Class Features
Moving Cleave (Ex)
Whenever you drop an opponent to or below 0 hit points with a melee attack, you may move 5 ft before performing the attack granted by Cleave. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity. You cannot move more than your speed by using this ability. This movement does not negate your 5-foot step for that round.

On a Hill of Corpses
Moving over an unconscious or dead creature of the same size (or smaller) than the One-Man Army is not considered difficult terrain.

Finisher
A Finisher is a special move that a 3rd level One-Man Army can perform once per round. At 6th level, she can perform two Finishers in a round. At 9th level, she can perform three in a round.
A One-Man Army learns a new Finisher at 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 9th level.

Charging Cleave (Ex)
If you perform a charge, you are still entitled to the extra attacks granted by Cleave, even if a charge usually limits you to one attack that round. All of your attacks until the end of your turn gain the +2 charge bonus to attack.
The distance covered by your charge counts against the limit discribed in Moving Cleave.

Thrill of the Kill
The One-Man Army gains a cumulative +1 morale bonus on attack and damage rolls for each creature he reduces to 0 or fewer hit points during the same enounter. This bonus cannot exceed the One-Man Army's class level. These bonuses disappear when combat ends, or if the One-Man Army is knocked unconscious or somehow prevented from attacking for more than one round.
These creatures must each have at least one-third of the One-Man Army's hit die total to grant him this bonus.

Lion's Charge (Ex)
When you charge, you can make a full attack in the same round.

Deathly Flourish (Ex)
Whenever you reduce a foe to 0 or fewer hit points (substitutions for this, such as using a Finisher, do not apply), the foe is instead reduced to -10 hit points if you so choose.

List of Finishers
Oblivion (Ex)
When your melee attack drops a an adjacent (within 5 ft) foe to or below 0 hit points, you
may move 10 ft in the direction of the fallen foe. From this new position, you may
continue to perform attacks or cleave attacks. This movement does not count against the
normal movement limit (see Moving Cleave), so you could perform Oblivion, then move 5
ft using Moving Cleave.

Hack at the Knees (Ex)
When you successfully trip a foe, you may act as if your attack rendered the foe below 0
hit points for the purposes of the Cleave feat and One-Man Army class features. If you
have the Improved Trip feat, you can still make your free melee attack against the tripped
opponent before attacking another target. The extra attack granted by Cleave must be
against a different target. However, other attacks or even further extra attacks from
Cleave can be used on the creature who was tripped.

Spectacular Slaughter (Su)
When you reduce a foe to 0 or fewer hit points with a melee attack, all foes suffer a -2
morale penalty to AC against you if you attack them in the same round. This is a
cumulative, mind-affecting fear ability.

Efficient Disarm (Ex)
When you successfully disarm a foe, you can act as if you just reduced a foe to 0 or fewer
hit points for the sake of Cleave and One-Man Army abilities.

Ranged Combo (Ex)
When granted an extra attack from Cleave, the One-Man Army can make a ranged attack
with an equipped thrown weapon instead of making an extra melee attack. Alternatively,
she can throw her melee weapon (taking all the relevant penalties). If she has the Quick
Draw feat, she can draw and throw a thrown weapon.

Cleaving Stun (Ex)
When you successfully stun a foe using the Stunning Fist feat, you can act as if you just
reduced a foe to 0 or fewer hit points for the sake of Cleave and One-Man Army abilities.
The extra attack granted by Cleave must be against a different target. However, other
attacks or even further extra attacks from Cleave can be used on the creature who was
just stunned.

Cleaving Critical (Ex)
If you confirm a critical hit against a foe, you may act as though you just reduced a foe to
below 0 hit points for the sake of Cleave and One-Man Army abilities. The extra attack
granted by Cleave must be against a different target. However, other attacks or even
further extra attacks from Cleave can be used on the creature who suffered the critical
hit.

Rushing Blade (Ex)
When you reduce a foe to 0 or fewer hit points, you can move in a straight line, provoking
attacks of opportunity, to attack a target who is at least 10 ft away. This attack is
considered a charge and gains the usual +2 charging bonus to attack. Your Moving Cleave
movement limit is still just your speed, even though you are charging. Unless you have
Lion's Charge, you cannot perform the extra attacks granted by a high base attack bonus
in the same round as you use Rushing Blade.

Sword-breaker (Ex)
When you successfully sunder a foe's weapon, you can act as if you just reduced a foe to
0 or fewer hit points for the sake of Cleave and One-Man Army abilities.

Recovering Flourish (Ex)
When you miss with a melee attack, you can act as though the attack reduced the foe below 0 hit points for the
purposes of the Cleave feat and One-Man Army abilities.
The extra attack granted by Cleave must be against a different target. However, other attacks or
even further extra attacks from Cleave can be used on the creature.
You can only perform this particular Finisher once per round.

Amechra
2011-12-08, 04:21 PM
Hack at the Knees+Rushing Blade+Spectacular Slaughter on an Orc with Headlong Rush=Debuff your foes, deal double damage on your cleave attack, and laugh really hard.

In other words, this isn't overpowered (in fact, if you were willing to make it so that Deadly Finish can only be taken at 9th level, you could make it apply to Sudden Flourish and the like...)

Actually, I would say replace Sudden Flourish with Deadly Finish and have Sudden Flourish be a finisher that only works if you miss an attack.

Because remember, Cleave is only useful if you are fighting a horde of people.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-12-08, 04:22 PM
Well, you're going to go through minions like a thri-keen cutting through hot butter with four chainsaws. But you're going to be strictly limited outside of that. I can see this being an attractive 1-level dip, though.

Incidentally, at level 4 the only ability you mention is "finisher"

bobthe6th
2011-12-08, 04:25 PM
Recomend you look up the army of one discpline(dimented one). This might be fun if it advanced a warblade's manuvers... army of one is about the most fun for horde fighting.

Thing about great cleave, shouldn't work on swarms? Cleve the tiny foes cleave!

Fable Wright
2011-12-08, 05:04 PM
Thing about great cleave, shouldn't work on swarms? Cleve the tiny foes cleave!

It would, but they're immune to weapon damage. :P

EdroGrimshell
2011-12-08, 05:45 PM
Recomend you look up the army of one discpline(dimented one).

here's the link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5710173)

Veklim
2011-12-08, 08:46 PM
THIS \/

Actually, I would say replace Sudden Flourish with Deadly Finish and have Sudden Flourish be a finisher that only works if you miss an attack.

I agree, otherwise an interesting focus for a PrC, and one that looks pretty stable. Certainly not OP, nice range of options for multiple builds and more importantly it's a fighter PrC which you can access after level 4, which is rather nice indeed.

I would personally be tempted to de-restrict Thrill of the Kill to just class level bonus, it's not that often you come across that many enemies in a single encounter, especially enough for a lone character to find more than 5 things to kill. If they DO find that many though, it's where a cleaver should shine the most.

Chikin'Soup
2011-12-09, 12:19 AM
Hack at the Knees+Rushing Blade+Spectacular Slaughter on an Orc with Headlong Rush=Debuff your foes, deal double damage on your cleave attack, and laugh really hard.

Oooh, I didn't know about that feat. Would that double all damage dealt in the round with Lion's Charge?
I wasn't originally planing on making it possible to use Finishers with the same attack, but I think it's okay, judging from your responses.

Done and slightly nerfed.
I have a friend who thinks Deadly Finish / Deathly Flourish should only be usable on foes of your HD or less... I don't know if that's a reasonable limitation to apply to a capstone ability...

Well, you're going to go through minions like a thri-keen cutting through hot butter with four chainsaws.
I love this description. XD

Incidentally, at level 4 the only ability you mention is "finisher"
That's because you learn a new one that level.

Recomend you look up the army of one discpline(dimented one). This might be fun if it advanced a warblade's manuvers... army of one is about the most fun for horde fighting.
I actually haven't had time to learn the Tome of Battle, I've heard it's radically different from D&D's original playstyle... I might make a ToB version of the class on the side if I ever get the hang of it.

I agree, otherwise an interesting focus for a PrC, and one that looks pretty stable. Certainly not OP, nice range of options for multiple builds and more importantly it's a fighter PrC which you can access after level 4, which is rather nice indeed.
Glad to hear it, ^^

I would personally be tempted to de-restrict Thrill of the Kill to just class level bonus, it's not that often you come across that many enemies in a single encounter, especially enough for a lone character to find more than 5 things to kill. If they DO find that many though, it's where a cleaver should shine the most.
Done.

----

As a side note, Pathfinder messed up the Cleave feat chain... >.> You'd need 4 or 5 feats to get Greater Cleaving Finish (the Pathfinder version of Great Cleave) and get in this class. This irritates me.

Bhu
2011-12-09, 01:27 AM
This warms me on a cold day :smallcool:

humor in PrC designs is always gud