PDA

View Full Version : Satoshi Kon appreciation thread

Reejis
2011-12-08, 07:45 PM
It's been a little more than a year since his untimely death, and I thought this visionary director could use some love in the playground! For those of you who don't know, he was a japanimation director responsible for the following works:
Perfect Blue
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Paranoia Agent
Paprika
He is absolutely one of my favorite creators in the genre. Paranoia Agent especially is one of my top 5 TV shows. This thread is for any random thoughts or questions you may have concerning his works, his life, or his tragic death. Or his wicked moustache.

tensai_oni
2011-12-11, 09:28 AM
Wicked moustache indeed. From his works I have only seen Perfect Blue. But it was great, and very creepy. I'm sad that I will discover the rest of his masterpieces only post-mortem. I liked his opinions given during interviews, etc as well.

Greensleeves
2011-12-11, 04:09 PM
I've only seen Tokyo Godfathers out of the list, and that was a while ago. I do remember liking it sharply however. I've been very interested in checking out Paprika for a long time now as well.

Mr.Silver
2011-12-11, 06:49 PM
Paprika's not bad, but it's not his best either. I know 'not making sense' is a fairly normal thing with Kon (except Tokyo Godfathers, obviously) but in Paprika there are a few instances where this actually works to the film's detriment (particularly in the third act). This may be a problem in the original novel as well, I don't know. I'd personally put it fairly low on the priority list when it comes to seeing his works. Definitely below Perfect Blue.

Feytalist
2011-12-12, 03:21 AM
Yeah, definitely watch Perfect Blue. And Paranoia Agent.

I enjoyed Paprika, but it's slightly disjointed at times. Even more than it should be, I think. Heh.

I used to love reading his interviews. His last open letter before his death is also available somewhere on the net. Interesting to see how he thought.

Reejis
2011-12-12, 07:43 AM
If I wasn't on a mobile device I'd link it but be forewarned before Googling it , he was aware of his impending demise when he wrote it and it will absolutely rip your guts out. Tears were shed I'm saying.

Far as Paprika goes, I actually completely love it, maybe as much as Perfect Blue. Sure it's a bit schizophrenic but I've always been more interested in characters than plot. And as far as characterization goes, Paprika soars. Also, it features one of the most unconventional (and imo, wonderful) romances I can recall in any story. It's lovely.

One more thing: powerful as the film was, did anyone else notice that Black Swan is like, exactly Perfect Blue?

Feytalist
2011-12-12, 07:55 AM
It's been commented on, yes.

It was apparently not meant to influence Black Swan as closely as it did, but Darren Aronofsky owns the remake rights to Perfect Blue. Make of that what you will.

Reejis
2011-12-12, 08:16 AM
That is fascinating! I suppose he must be at least familiar with Kon's work then. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Aronofsky and Black Swan, and if it was influenced by Perfect Blue, hey, he could have picked worse.
On a similar note (not to derail my own thread:smallamused:) James Cameron's Dark Angel is an obvious homage to one of my favorite comics Battle Angel Alita, and I cannot wait for his announced film adaptation of it. It would seem that cool rich Hollywood people might have their finger on the pulse of Japanese cartoon culture more than we might expect.

Bhu
2011-12-12, 03:41 PM
KOn is dead? :smallfrown:

Dammit...