PDA

View Full Version : Customizable level dependent benefits

Planar
2011-12-10, 10:36 AM
I was playing with this idea for a while now. It's somewhat a subset of generic class idea but one that can be implemented without redesigning everything in sight.

At every level-up all characters get the following;

Extra hit points
Increased base attack bonus
Increased saves
New skill points

They also get +1 to ability scores every 4 level and a feat every 3 level or so but it gets to messy there, I am not planning to touch feats.

So, idea is breaking down these elements down to something like level points and then give the player a chance to build a character more suited to his needs. In this system the character will get his Con bonus to HP and Int bonus to skill points as normal but will have the ability to forgo the skill points he will normally get due to his class, in favor of say a better BAB.

My problem is essentially assesing the value of these benefits, like how many skill points are worth a +1 BAB. I was hoping someone could help me with that.

Stuff to evaluate;

Hit points

+1 to +12

BAB

+1/4, +1/2, +3/4, +1

Saves

(+1/4, +1/2, +3/4, +1)x3

Skill points

+1 to +8

A few notes;

*I think it would be best to establish some minimums as stated above to avoid characters with +0 BAB at level 20, but I'm undecided about maximums. What's your opinion about this?

*It is apparent that, the system allows heavy minmaxing but I think it can be handled on the table.

*I am aware that there are similar homebrews/whole systems around the idea and i did my best to look them up but I'm aiming for a more customized yet not completely overhauled D&D 3.5.

Zagaroth
2011-12-12, 09:44 PM
hmmm, you may want to look over the 'generic classes' from unearthed arcana.

Also to be found in the SRD

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm

Not exactly what you were thinking of, but I thought it might give you some thinking points.