PDA

View Full Version : Eyeshield 21

Razaele
2011-12-10, 09:45 PM
Hello fellow Playgrounders! It's been a few years since I stopped watching Eyeshield 21, mainly because a certain fansub group dropped the anime and I have yet to find any other group that uploads anything of good quality.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd really like to pick up Eyeshield 21 again and finally see what happens at the end. :smallsmile:

An Enemy Spy
2011-12-10, 10:35 PM
I've never watched the show, but as a fan of the sport, how accurate is their depiction of football? Is it pretty good, or is it clearly the work of japanese writers handling a foreign sport they don't fully understand?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-12-10, 10:43 PM
If you like Eyeshield 21 I highly suggest you read the Manga as the Anime was incomplete in the sense they ended it before the manga did.

As for how accurate it is, I can't really say as I am not that knowledgeable about Football; but I think it might be quite accurate as the anime at least had sponsorship of the Japanese NFL.

Anteros
2011-12-11, 12:11 AM
On an accuracy scale I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10. They generally get the concepts, positions, and rules right...but some characters go (slightly) beyond the bounds of actual human abilities. Like having a character that can run a 4.1 40 yard dash. The main character is a small high schooler and can run a 4.2 second 40. To put this in perspective, the fastest recorded NFL player ever ran a 4.24.

Still, it's a manga...so things like that are to be expected. Overall, I found it to be pretty accurate, and I enjoyed it. From a quality standpoint I'd recommend it to anyone who likes sports manga/anime. It's one of the very few mangas that I actually read all the way through...so that's saying something. I'd also recommend it to someone interested in learning about football. There's a lot of information in there, and it explains it in a fairly easy to understand manner.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-12-11, 05:18 PM
I've never watched the show, but as a fan of the sport, how accurate is their depiction of football? Is it pretty good, or is it clearly the work of japanese writers handling a foreign sport they don't fully understand?

First off, on your statement: American football is actually played in Japan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9lLwhRV0sQ here's a video of a game in Japan all professional and such.

With that in mind, Eyeshield 21 is 1/2 sports manga 1/2 superhero manga. It for the most part follows the rules of the game, but they willingly sacrifice game accuracy for the sake of drama. It always feels like it was a choice rather than a misunderstanding, however.

It's also a very good series. I found the manga handles the action a lot better than the anime series does, but the manga, as far as I'm concerned, goes on longer than it really should have. It begins to suffer from... I don't know how to say it.. Power creep? It's one of those "we beat the best! Wait no turns out there's like a way better thing over there whoops." And because they keep doing that eventually you have people literally picking up cars and breaking bones with their pinkeys.

But it's a very long time before this happens. It's entirely worth it.

An Enemy Spy
2011-12-11, 07:53 PM
First off, on your statement: American football is actually played in Japan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9lLwhRV0sQ here's a video of a game in Japan all professional and such.

And Cricket is played in America. That doesn't mean most Americans are familiar with it.