PDA

View Full Version : Snow White & the Huntsman

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-13, 11:16 PM
Snow White & this Huntsman (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1735898/) looks interesting. If they don't add too much teen drama, it could be really good.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-13, 11:19 PM
Chris Hemsworth better make this film awesome! He was the God of Thunder!

Though Bella as the other title character? I've never seen a Twilight film, but heard she can't act to save her life - this makes me worried.:smalleek:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-14, 12:01 AM
Though Bella as the other title character? I've never seen a Twilight film, but heard she can't act to save her life - this makes me worried.:smalleek:

That isn't entirely true. She is really good at portraying anguish, and can really look like she is suffering. Unfortunately, that seems to be the only thing she can do. On the rare occasion she tries to look happy, its pretty pathetic.

McStabbington
2011-12-14, 01:32 AM

Does that really matter? This is a movie that promises a Shatner-class scene chewing by Theron and Ian McShane, Bob Hoskins and Ray Winstone as dwarves. There is going to be so much ACTING going on around the main character that Snow White could be played by a cardboard cutout and you wouldn't notice.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-12-14, 01:40 AM
Sounds enjoyable! Can't wait. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2011-12-14, 01:34 PM
That isn't entirely true. She is really good at portraying anguish, and can really look like she is suffering. Unfortunately, that seems to be the only thing she can do. On the rare occasion she tries to look happy, its pretty pathetic.

That makes me feel better: she can give a spot on performance of a socially awkward teen. Because when I think love interest for the guy who played a viking deity, I think one of the social groups from high school I loathed.

Does that really matter? This is a movie that promises a Shatner-class scene chewing by Theron and Ian McShane, Bob Hoskins and Ray Winstone as dwarves. There is going to be so much ACTING going on around the main character that Snow White could be played by a cardboard cutout and you wouldn't notice.

I'd prefer it was a cardboard cutout. Regardless of the rest of the cast - which I like - the main character is someone who I doubt can give a good performance. A bad main character is gonna bring down the entire quality of the film. That, and is she just gonna be cast role as a character that forces people to go to war for them from now on? Is that gonna be the rest of her acting career?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-14, 01:59 PM
That makes me feel better: she can give a spot on performance of a socially awkward teen. Because when I think love interest for the guy who played a viking deity, I think one of the social groups from high school I loathed.

Yes, exactly. Kristen Stewart is perfect at being simultaneously beautiful, awkward, insecure, pasty, miserable, and bitter.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-14, 02:08 PM
Yes, exactly. Kristen Stewart is perfect at being simultaneously beautiful, awkward, insecure, pasty, miserable, and bitter.

That's still bad. Why couldn't she at least do a film in between this and Twilight to try and make me forget that bad series? Like Natalie Portman. I don't think I could have watched Thor without seeing You Highness first. It distracted me from the fact the last films I saw her in were V for Vendetta and the Star Wars Prequels.

Also, is this going to become a recurring trend now? Remaking Disney classics? The producer behind this also produced the recent Alice in Wonderland film. Are we gonna see Sleeping Beauty in 2013? Or a new Peter Pan film? Will it be better or worse than Hook?

Joran
2011-12-14, 02:08 PM

You overlook the obvious problem.

There is no way in heck that Kristin Stewart can be prettier than Charlize Theron. Maybe fairer, in the sense of being pale, especially as a vampire, but not more beautiful.

Charlize Theron is an otherworldly beauty, Kristin Stewart is kind of plain, so it's hard for me to think that Charlize Theron would be jealous of Kristin Stewart's beauty.

Also, is this going to become a recurring trend now? Remaking Disney classics? The producer behind this also produced the recent Alice in Wonderland film. Are we gonna see Sleeping Beauty in 2013? Or a new Peter Pan film? Will it be better or worse than Hook?

Of course. Once Upon A Time is hit for ABC, Grimm is a hit for NBC, Alice in Wonderland did reasonably well. Bonus, no rights to worry about because the stories are in the public domain.

If there's one thing that Hollywood does well, is that it latches onto a popular idea and then drains it of all its money making potential before moving onto the next hot property.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-14, 02:13 PM
You overlook the obvious problem.

There is no way in heck that Kristin Stewart can be prettier than Charlize Theron. Maybe fairer, in the sense of being pale, especially as a vampire, but not more beautiful.

Charlize Theron is an otherworldly beauty, Kristin Stewart is kind of plain, so it's hard for me to think that Charlize Theron would be jealous of Kristin Stewart's beauty.

Well, beauty is also about grace. If Kristen Stewart could at least act graceful then maybe. You get someone with enough grace about them, they could pull off Snow White.

Besides, like I said, it's a movie about people overreacting to someone's average beauty and starting a war. She's done this role before. In a few years, they're gonna make an Illiad film, and she's gonna be Helen of Troy.

Coidzor
2011-12-14, 10:32 PM

To be fair, that's actually an accurate portrayal of the character she was playing.

Still not a good thing, but sort of like how one has to look at any film other than the Star Wars prequel trilogy to actually figure out what the cast were like as actors.

She is kind of unappealing though, but maybe that was just a deliberate makeup choice to make her more successfully hollywood ugly than usual... :smallconfused:

Dr.Epic
2011-12-14, 10:38 PM
Of course. Once Upon A Time is hit for ABC, Grimm is a hit for NBC, Alice in Wonderland did reasonably well. Bonus, no rights to worry about because the stories are in the public domain.

If there's one thing that Hollywood does well, is that it latches onto a popular idea and then drains it of all its money making potential before moving onto the next hot property.

Yeah, but those are (mini)series on TV. A television program is very different from a film that gets shown in cinemas. Movies cost millions to make and people have much higher expectations for them. Studios are taking a gamble with each film they make.

Joran
2011-12-14, 10:51 PM
Yeah, but those are (mini)series on TV. A television program is very different from a film that gets shown in cinemas. Movies cost millions to make and people have much higher expectations for them. Studios are taking a gamble with each film they make.

Of course, but I was pointing out that fairy tales are hot properties in both television and movies.

You're right that movies are expensive and risky propositions, which is why Hollywood is very risk adverse with them. The movie studios rarely greenlight an absolutely original idea, instead they rely on known quantities. Fairy Tales are a good place to make a movie because everyone is familiar with them, either through Grimm's Fairy Tales or Disney movies.

In a world where Battleship the Movie is made because of the success of G.I. Joe, is it that big of a stretch that some movie studio out there is going to look at the success and buzz of those two shows and this movie (assuming it does well) and will greenlight a fairy tale that hasn't been mined recently?

Basically, if this movie is a hit, I'm betting that grittier fairy tale movies will be made in the next couple years.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-14, 10:54 PM
Of course, but I was pointing out that fairy tales are hot properties in both television and movies.

In a world where Battleship the Movie is made because of the success of G.I. Joe, is it that big of a stretch that some movie studio out there is going to look at the success and buzz of those two shows and this movie (assuming it does well) and will greenlight a fairy tale that hasn't been mined recently?

But a film is a bigger risk. And a remake comes with the stigma people will complain they can just watch the original which they know is better.

Joran
2011-12-14, 10:57 PM
But a film is a bigger risk. And a remake comes with the stigma people will complain they can just watch the original which they know is better.

Since when has Hollywood been willing to leave well enough alone? ;)

P.S. Sorry for the ninja edit, I like to revisit my posts and clarify things. It's a nasty habit.

Anderlith
2011-12-14, 11:12 PM
Zooey Deschainel should be playing Snow White & we all know it.

McStabbington
2011-12-15, 12:06 AM
Oh dear sweet ever-merciful Lord, no. One does not survive a Grimm's fairy tale with a combination of Bambi eyes and fascination with Star Wars.

Viera Champion
2011-12-15, 10:56 AM
So about how the castle in this movie looks EXACTLY like the castle from Once Upon a Time... Same location and everything.

Mewtarthio
2011-12-15, 11:28 AM
Oh dear sweet ever-merciful Lord, no. One does not survive a Grimm's fairy tale with a combination of Bambi eyes and fascination with Star Wars.

Grimm fairy tales were DIY kits for extracting all the innocence from your children's souls and destroying it. Zooey Deschanel would be perfect as the foolish young girl who trusts strangers and gets killed (however temporarily) for her naivety.

Xondoure
2011-12-16, 01:10 AM
There's also Jack the Giant Killer. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1opzWmr8NSU) So yeah, new trend.

As for Snow White films this one looks like much more fun. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gccWbMTrgO4)

DraPrime
2011-12-16, 10:16 AM
There's also Jack the Giant Killer. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1opzWmr8NSU) So yeah, new trend.

As for Snow White films this one looks like much more fun. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gccWbMTrgO4)

While it looks like more fun...eh...it still looks like it won't be a very good movie.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-16, 02:02 PM
While it looks like more fun...eh...it still looks like it won't be a very good movie.

It looks enjoyable, but utterly forgettable.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-12-16, 03:10 PM
Plus, consider the director, Tarsem "ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS! ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS HOOHOOHOOHOOHOO!" Singh.

Zevox
2011-12-16, 03:18 PM
...okay, show of hands, who read this title and immediately thought of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Wb14NZ01E)?

Yeah, I have nothing else to contribute, the movie doesn't interest me in the least, but still, I can't be the only one who thought of that, right?

Zevox

DraPrime
2011-12-16, 04:09 PM
Plus, consider the director, Tarsem "ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS! ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS HOOHOOHOOHOOHOO!" Singh.

Is this the man responsible for Immortals?

Dr.Epic
2011-12-16, 05:01 PM

Meh, that looks alright. Could have some cool battle/fight scenes.

:eek: I thought I knew what cheese was. I thought I knew was camp was. Based on that trailer, this film will make Batman and Robin look like a serious drama.

grimbold
2011-12-16, 08:17 PM
at first i found this interesting
and it does have a lot of potential

then i realized
its yet another reboot *Facepalm*

not that thats a bad thing but its frustrating how few original movies are made these days :smallfrown:

Dr.Epic
2011-12-16, 08:19 PM
then i realized
its yet another reboot *Facepalm*

Not a reboot; Remake. Reboot occurs in a series when you start over. For something that only had one installment, it's a remake.

Coidzor
2011-12-16, 08:30 PM
Zooey Deschainel should be playing Snow White & we all know it.

...I can just see it now. Zooey Deschanel as Snow White.

And Katy Perry as the Evil Queen.

Think about it. :smallamused:

Luzahn
2011-12-16, 08:39 PM
Do we know that Snow white is going to be the main character?

I could easily see the Huntsman as the lead, given the potential for character depth there.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-16, 09:21 PM
...I can just see it now. Zooey Deschanel as Snow White.

And Katy Perry as the Evil Queen.

Think about it. :smallamused:

Replace Katy Perry with Lady Gaga and you got a deal. I wanna make this picture. Is 10 million enough?

Do we know that Snow white is going to be the main character?

I could easily see the Huntsman as the lead, given the potential for character depth there.

Meh, hard to say. "Snow White" comes before "the Huntsman" in the title so that takes priority maybe, though who's the hero in the Legend of Zelda? I don't think it'll happen, though I'd love to see Chris Hemsworth as the protagonist in this. And to make it better, can Bella die at the end please?

Luzahn
2011-12-16, 09:29 PM
Well, the expected ending of "Snow White" as a title would be "and the Seven Dwarves"

"The Huntsman" may be listed second just to preserve that sequence. And I do recall the trailer focusing more on him than Snow White.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-16, 09:35 PM
I'm really looking forward to this. It would be amazing if they went for an R rating, but I doubt its going to happen.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-16, 09:38 PM
"The Huntsman" may be listed second just to preserve that sequence. And I do recall the trailer focusing more on him than Snow White.

Trailers have a +10 racial bluff bonus if you know what I mean. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeverTrustATrailer?from=Main.TrailersAlwaysLie):sm allwink:

grimbold
2011-12-17, 09:11 AM
Trailers have a +10 racial bluff bonus if you know what I mean. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeverTrustATrailer?from=Main.TrailersAlwaysLie):sm allwink:

oh my :smallredface:

Dr.Epic
2011-12-17, 03:23 PM
I just gotta say again about Mirror, Mirror and how bad it looks. It's like they decided "Let's take characters that would appear in Shrek, make them 1,000 times more goofy, less serious, and over the top, and put them in a story that isn't a comedy." Is it too early for me to say that's going to be the worst film of 2012? Trailers are supposed to show the best of a film after all, and if those parts are the best, I don't want to see the worst.

Although, I did post earlier that trailers always lie, so based on that logic, Mirror, Mirror has to be awesome right?

Anderlith
2011-12-17, 06:52 PM
I just gotta say again about Mirror, Mirror and how bad it looks. It's like they decided "Let's take characters that would appear in Shrek, make them 1,000 times more goofy, less serious, and over the top, and put them in a story that isn't a comedy." Is it too early for me to say that's going to be the worst film of 2012? Trailers are supposed to show the best of a film after all, and if those parts are the best, I don't want to see the worst.

Although, I did post earlier that trailers always lie, so based on that logic, Mirror, Mirror has to be awesome right?

Nope Twilight's last movie will come out. It will be more horrible

Dr.Epic
2011-12-17, 06:53 PM
Nope Twilight's last movie will come out. It will be more horrible

At least the trailer is better. Not to mention not full of lame puns and jokes. Mirror, Mirror is just PUN-ishment.:smallwink:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-17, 07:49 PM
I agree with the wise and awesome Dr. Epic about Mirror Mirror looking terrible. It appears to be a hastily thrown together attempt as cashing in on SW&tH, filled with mind-numbing lowest-common-denominator jokes.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-17, 08:03 PM
I agree with the wise and awesome Dr. Epic about Mirror Mirror looking terrible. It appears to be a hastily thrown together attempt as cashing in on SW&tH, filled with mind-numbing lowest-common-denominator jokes.

Best statement ever!

But yeah, I think if I do see Mirror, Mirror...

-I'll see it like the day before I see SW&tH so it seems far better by comparison (wait, when does each film come out? Can I even do that?)

-And I'll have to make room for in my list of 10 most hated films of all time. The Last Airbender is currently on that list and at least the trailer for that looked good. The trailer for Mirror, Mirror, well, like I said, if those are the best part, pain, just pain.:smallsigh:

I might make a thread for Mirror, Mirror later because I do want to talk more about how bad it looks and don't want to derail this thread much more.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-17, 10:49 PM
The situation with Snow White & The Huntsman and Mirror Mirror kind of reminds me of the situation with No Strings Attached and Friends with Benefits. A popular movie comes out, and then very soon after, a dumber version comes out and cashes in on the success of the first.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-18, 12:04 AM
The situation with Snow White & The Huntsman and Mirror Mirror kind of reminds me of the situation with No Strings Attached and Friends with Benefits. A popular movie comes out, and then very soon after, a dumber version comes out and cashes in on the success of the first.

It's called Dueling Movies (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DuelingMovies) and it's pretty common.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-18, 12:13 AM
It's called Dueling Movies (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DuelingMovies) and it's pretty common.

The fact that you enjoy linking to TV Tropes earns you 10 badass points. I rarely assign badass points.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-18, 12:49 AM
The fact that you enjoy linking to TV Tropes earns you 10 badass points. I rarely assign badass points.

YES! I'm in the lead!...right?

Tiki Snakes
2011-12-18, 01:53 PM
Having seen the Mirror Mirror trailer you linked in the other thread, I felt the need to look up this one too (http://youtu.be/VY67V0wOlz8).

I must say, judging entirely from the trailers, it looks like a cinematic masterpiece in comparison.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-18, 04:48 PM
Having seen the Mirror Mirror trailer you linked in the other thread, I felt the need to look up this one too (http://youtu.be/VY67V0wOlz8).

I must say, judging entirely from the trailers, it looks like a cinematic masterpiece in comparison.

By comparison, yeah, the Huntsman looks awesome. Still, it doesn't look too good. It has a really, over the top pretentious/arty/drama feel to it. Still, at least they're taking it seriously, the action looks decent and Chris Hemsworth should make his scene good.