PDA

View Full Version : Coolest FTL effect in Scifi

Maquise
2011-12-14, 02:24 PM
I was wondering what people thought the coolest looking FTL/Warp/Hyperspace/etc. effect in science fiction visual media was.

I'm kind of partial to anything involving a light tunnel, but I have to give an honorable mention to the new Battlestar Galactica and Homeworld for their simplicity.

The Glyphstone
2011-12-14, 03:29 PM
Ten years later and I still think the Descent 2 warp-drive animation is neat-looking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQCLZjyg07M&t=3m0s

Rockphed
2011-12-14, 03:31 PM
Homeworld's "Open a box infront of ship. move box back. Close." was probably one of my favorite parts of that game. Either that or killing enemy ships by precision warping my cruisers into their mothership.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-12-14, 03:32 PM
Just leaving this here for amusement purposes. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP6DXoNKITc)

Ravens_cry
2011-12-14, 03:40 PM
I liked the feel of jumping to Warp in the recent Star Trek move, though it did break previously established canon.

Re'ozul
2011-12-14, 07:25 PM
I always liked the depiction of Hyperspace in Babylon 5 as something that makes you work for your speed.

warty goblin
2011-12-14, 07:54 PM
I always liked the depiction of Hyperspace in Babylon 5 as something that makes you work for your speed.

It also worked as being 1) different, and 2) scary as hell. It's really not hard to imagine getting lost in there...

Graphically I rather liked the phase space animation from Sins of a Solar Empire. Particularly if you had an entire armada jumping out at once, really gave a sense of 'smack is going down' nicely.

Toastkart
2011-12-14, 08:15 PM
I really liked the visual effect the wraith hiveships used in the first season of Stargate: Atlantis. It's best seen when they're exiting hyperspace, actually. Later seasons changed it to a rather generic looking green blob that they flew into, which wasn't half so cool as the earlier effect.

kpenguin
2011-12-14, 08:16 PM
I kind of always liked Flash entering the Speed Force when moving FTL.

Aotrs Commander
2011-12-14, 08:22 PM
The one that stuck with me the most was hyperspace in Challenge of the Gobots.

I don't even know if I could find a clip on the internet, Gobots never achieved the notority that Transformers did, but it left some impact one me, even after all these years...

Soras Teva Gee
2011-12-14, 08:37 PM
I liked the feel of jumping to Warp in the recent Star Trek move, though it did break previously established canon.

That's only because people continually miss that Abrams!Trek is not some alternate history, or to be more specific Leonard Nimoy is not playing the same Spock from TOS.

There's no canon because its simply a reboot people have welded to existing Trek beyond what's actually supported by the film on screen.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-14, 09:15 PM
Half the stuff from Gurren Lagann.

grolim
2011-12-15, 12:29 AM
I am partial to the shuttles interdimensional travel from Earth: Final Conflict.
Works well for ships, shuttles and people in airports.

Slipstream in Andromeda wasn't bad....just don't have a sensitive stomach.

Eldan
2011-12-15, 05:50 AM
I thought the Warp in Dawn of War 2 looked quite cool, for some reason. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW9BPyXkPmM)

Yora
2011-12-15, 07:30 AM
I like subspace jumps from FreeSpace (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOWh142gBjA&feature=related). (At 1:10, 1:35, and 2:00. And glorious massive beam spam at 2:47 :smallbiggrin:)

thubby
2011-12-15, 08:32 AM
i think star trek: tng did it best.
not terribly flashy, but it looked right

Tyndmyr
2011-12-15, 01:54 PM
That's only because people continually miss that Abrams!Trek is not some alternate history, or to be more specific Leonard Nimoy is not playing the same Spock from TOS.

There's no canon because its simply a reboot people have welded to existing Trek beyond what's actually supported by the film on screen.

Apparently, the directors also entirely failed at the laws of physics. Yes, we will drill a HOLE in the planet to drop the black hole in. Because, yknow, having a black hole at the surface of the planet would be...different? Grr, hate that movie so much.

Anyway........probably not legit FTL, but the main Firefly engine effect is fairly awesome. New BSG is also great. Not flashy, but feels right somehow.

Mercenary Pen
2011-12-15, 01:59 PM
Definitely either the BSG reboot or Babylon 5 for me...

The Reverend
2011-12-15, 02:00 PM
I doubledown with Rockphed, homeworlda FTL sequence was....pimp. It was smooth, futuristic, stylish, and just cool. It didn't need massive special effects and cascades of energy beams and space warping...it just did it's thing in style and didn't need to boast about it.

SDF
2011-12-15, 02:11 PM
This sequence is pretty much my favorite. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkCpnGMyGw)

Soras Teva Gee
2011-12-15, 03:39 PM
Apparently, the directors also entirely failed at the laws of physics. Yes, we will drill a HOLE in the planet to drop the black hole in. Because, yknow, having a black hole at the surface of the planet would be...different? Grr, hate that movie so much.

Anyway........probably not legit FTL, but the main Firefly engine effect is fairly awesome. New BSG is also great. Not flashy, but feels right somehow.

Laws of physics in a Trek piece. I mean next you'll be telling me reconfiguring the main deflector to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow does nothing

Yes that's part Doctor Who I don't care

The Glyphstone
2011-12-15, 03:52 PM
Technobabble is one thing. Outright fails of basic logic are another. It'd be like an X-men movie where the villain's main plot relied on transforming the world's oceans into liquid gold by removing an electron from each of the water molecules - you have "yeah, its sci-fi', and then you have "did any of the writers even go to college?".

Science Officer
2011-12-15, 04:28 PM

They didn't drop a black hole, they dropped magic red matter that somehow makes a black hole inside a planet. But there were a lot of things that didn't make sense with that movie.

How about the Infinite Improbability Drive in the H2G2 movie? Maybe not the best adaption IIRC, but the visuals for the drive were pretty funny.
"I feel like a sofa." "I know how you feel."

Yora
2011-12-15, 04:47 PM
That movie is so awesome. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjbtZ4NgtdA) :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2011-12-15, 09:55 PM
They didn't drop a black hole, they dropped magic red matter that somehow makes a black hole inside a planet. But there were a lot of things that didn't make sense with that movie.

Indeed. My nerd-rage was strong, but I've decided not to get mad.
Yes, not mad, mustn't get mad. Get mad. Get mad.

How about the Infinite Improbability Drive in the H2G2 movie? Maybe not the best adaption IIRC, but the visuals for the drive were pretty funny.
"I feel like a sofa." "I know how you feel."
I like the Infinite Improbability Drive period. As insane as it is, thanks to Quantum Tunnelling, it's actually semi-probable, the only hitch been been able to control probability.

Daftendirekt
2011-12-16, 03:04 AM
Definitely either the BSG reboot or Babylon 5 for me...

This sequence is pretty much my favorite. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkCpnGMyGw)

Yes, Yes, YES. I love the "realistic sci fi" they go for in Battlestar Galactica, and that scene is the most badass in the whole series. First time I saw it I was slack-jawed. I even watched a video from a con where a good chunk of the main cast was there, and one question asked was what their favorite scene in the series was. At least half answered with that scene.

The Succubus
2011-12-16, 05:40 AM
Chalk up another vote for Babylon 5 here. I like the sense of fear that comes with entering Hyperspace - the knowledge that, as someone mentioned above, you can get horribly lost forever combined with the Shadows that lurk in there and even more evil things than them (if you've seen Thirdspace, which you should).

Other notable mentions include Event Horizon. I've always warmed to the idea that ripping a new hole in the laws of physics does not come without consequences.

The most realistic though? I'd probably have to say Firefly I think. Not much in the way of fancy effects except for the drive spinning up but I think that's how it will turn out to be IRL.

factotum
2011-12-16, 08:14 AM
I actually like the effect used in the original Star Wars, where basically the ship just kind of hangs there for a bit and then accelerates away really fast! Simple, and gets across the message the ship is doing something that makes it go quicker than usual.

B5 is definitely high up on the list, though--probably one of the most unique FTL systems ever put into a TV programme.

Liffguard
2011-12-16, 09:40 AM
I like the mass relay jumps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPxw5QjxhIs&feature=related) in Mass Effect, mainly because the mass relays themselves look really cool.

Yora
2011-12-16, 11:09 AM
They are a lot like massive FTL slingshots. :smallbiggrin:

Aotrs Commander
2011-12-16, 12:30 PM
B5 is definitely high up on the list, though--probably one of the most unique FTL systems ever put into a TV programme.

Really? I...suppose it is unusual, at that...

The FTL system in the aforementioned Gobots (which had such an influence on me) sort of worked in a similar fashion (by the middle of the series) whereby they accelerated (sort of Star Wars style) into a hyperspace "corridor" of pulsing rings of light, and there were occasional gates to hyperspace in realspace.

So when I saw B5 I though of it's FTL system to be, well, normal...

An Enemy Spy
2011-12-16, 07:42 PM
Not the coolest but I always liked the slipspace jumps in Halo. Big energy circle appears, ship flies disappears into it. Quick, simple and visually appealing.

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-12-16, 08:18 PM
That's only because people continually miss that Abrams!Trek is not some alternate history, or to be more specific Leonard Nimoy is not playing the same Spock from TOS. Then they shouldn't have credited him as "Spock Prime", or have him quote Wrath of Khan.

My biggest annoyance with that movie was the destruction of Vulcan only leaving 10000 Vulcan survivors. I haven't seen the movie in a while so that number might be off, but still, they've been warp capable for centuries why would so few of them be off planet?

Ravens_cry
2011-12-16, 08:44 PM
That was my thought as well.
Even though they likely not so expansionist as humans, that still seems ridiculously small number, especially when you consider that Romulus was settled by Vulcans aroud the 4th century and by the 24th century numbered likely numbered in the millions, if not billions.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-12-16, 08:55 PM
Then they shouldn't have credited him as "Spock Prime", or have him quote Wrath of Khan.

My biggest annoyance with that movie was the destruction of Vulcan only leaving 10000 Vulcan survivors. I haven't seen the movie in a while so that number might be off, but still, they've been warp capable for centuries why would so few of them be off planet?

But "Prime" is meaningless and its not like its not still a similar Spock, but "shout out" does not equal "same dude" at all.

And what precisely is Vulcan's population as Space Elves they wouldn't nessecarily have a large one, nevermind their insular mindset meaning probably a higher percentage are on world. But ultimately see where trying to take anything you think you know about Vulcan's gets you. If the Abrams movie didn't provide it, why does he care about it, therefore why does it exist.

I don't say don't connect Abrams' Star Trek to ST's continuity for no reason, because it prevents any number of problem from ever coming up.

Yora
2011-12-17, 05:56 AM
I never saw the movie, but from all I hear, it all sounds like it has nothing in common with Star Trek except for the names.

The Succubus
2011-12-17, 06:14 AM
I like the mass relay jumps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPxw5QjxhIs&feature=related) in Mass Effect, mainly because the mass relays themselves look really cool.

They do make quite a lot of sense as well. Accelerating an object to the speed of light or faster is easier if the object doesn't have to propel itself.

Yora
2011-12-17, 06:29 AM
And you also need another relay to slow it down again. "Since Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest SOB in Space!"
The "Short" Range FTL is pretty regular stuff, though.

Anderlith
2011-12-17, 06:32 AM
Stargates from stargate

Ravens_cry
2011-12-17, 05:53 PM
There is a delete function when editing.
If this advice is followed, this post will make no sense.

warty goblin
2011-12-17, 11:14 PM
There is a delete function when editing.
If this advice is followed, this post will make no sense.

Clearly it's a tragic case of causality violation due to FTL travel.You, traveling faster than the speed of light, must have perceived someone had made a double post, and told them how to delete it. However in your admirable haste you forgot to take your stupendous velocity into account, and thus replied before the double post had been doubled. That of course altered the timestream and prevented the double post from ever happening in the first place.

Ravens_cry
2011-12-17, 11:17 PM
But of course, your logic is impeccable and I see no flaw in it whatsoever.:smallamused:

Felhammer
2011-12-18, 12:21 AM

By using Spock from the future and including references too "Admiral Archer's Beagles", JJ was clearly designing his movie to be firmly grounded in the established Trekverse but creating an alternate reality by virtue of the way the Romulans altered history. This is no different that the events of Yesterday's Enterprise (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Yesterday%27s_Enterprise), except there was no reset button to put things right.

Ravens_cry
2011-12-18, 12:55 AM
Which creates problems of its own, given when Enterprise the series is supposed to be set.
The water-pipe scene reminded me of the chompers in Galaxy Ques (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqVqxWU-Itg)t.
Why was this here?
Moreover, why was there an "atomic brewery" in the Engine room? Which, incidentally, was filmed in an actual brewery.
I felt the whole design of the ships interior felt very discordant and not unified to put it mildly.

Felhammer
2011-12-18, 01:09 AM
Which creates problems of its own, given when Enterprise the series is supposed to be set.
The water-pipe scene reminded me of the chompers in Galaxy Ques (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqVqxWU-Itg)t.
Why was this here?
Moreover, why was there an "atomic brewery" in the Engine room? Which, incidentally, was filmed in an actual brewery.
I felt the whole design of the ships interior felt very discordant and not unified to put it mildly.

To be honest, Engineering looked more realistic, even with the giant vats, than the other examples of main engineering seen in the TV shows. Look at the interior of an Aircraft Carrier, it has far more in common with JJ's Engineering than the Voyager's.

As for the water pipes, those are probably used for cooling the warp core... Or providing adequate water to all of the water fountains on the ship! :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2011-12-18, 01:43 AM
Sure, it was realistic, if you are brewing atomic beer or making a mash for Space Scotch.
But it didn't fit in with the aesthetic of the rest of the ship.
It didn't give it a feeling of "this is all in the same ship"
Even the original series sets, as crude as they were, kept mostly the same lighting and colour scheme basically throughout the ship and Next Generation did even better.

Renegade Paladin
2011-12-18, 02:19 AM
I thought the Warp in Dawn of War 2 looked quite cool, for some reason. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW9BPyXkPmM)
And the exit effect. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h67JpMyrOVE)

What follows is also fun to watch, if quite abominable.

Caesar
2011-12-18, 12:26 PM
I liked the non-effects in K-Pax, it was an elegant solution to the whole "no mass faster than light" problem.

Felhammer
2011-12-18, 03:21 PM
Mass Effect's FTL is pretty cool.

But I think Babylon 5's is the coolest.

Wardog
2011-12-18, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=Hands_Of_Blue;12388513
My biggest annoyance with that movie was the destruction of Vulcan only leaving 10000 Vulcan survivors. I haven't seen the movie in a while so that number might be off, but still, they've been warp capable for centuries why would so few of them be off planet?[/QUOTE]

What I thought was even more stupid was the destruction of Vulcan only leaving 10000 Vulcan survivors...

"... but its okay, because we saved the High Council, thereby preserving the entier of Vulcan cultrue."

Trog
2011-12-18, 08:02 PM

*loved* that sequence! :smallbiggrin:

Gnoman
2011-12-18, 11:37 PM
Not a visual effect, as it's in a book, but I found the Inversion Drive from Diane Duane's Star Trek novel The Wounded Sky (some elements of which were used in a rather poor TNG episode rather unique.

The drive worked by squeezing everything through a theroretical (actually part of some real theories) infinite-mass space to travel incredible distances at a time. During transition, the ship and everything in it ceased to exist for zero seconds. Most members of the crew experienced extremely detailed shared mental experiences, and as the drive wore down reality (it got better) these became more vivid, and the crew became more and more open to one another.

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-12-19, 12:54 AM
What I thought was even more stupid was the destruction of Vulcan only leaving 10000 Vulcan survivors...

"... but its okay, because we saved the High Council, thereby preserving the entier of Vulcan cultrue." Well, that was pretty stupid. But someone on the council probably had Surak's katra, and since he was the father of their whole embrace logic philosophy saving the council might save the core of their culture, but I agree that it would be no where near all of it.

Felhammer
2011-12-19, 02:51 AM
Well, that was pretty stupid. But someone on the council probably had Surak's katra, and since he was the father of their whole embrace logic philosophy saving the council might save the core of their culture, but I agree that it would be no where near all of it.

Can saving less than 20 people really preserve a culture? No but if those saved come from varying backgrounds and are paragons of their respective fields, then you have gone a long way to preserving a modicum of Vulcan culture.

Marnath
2011-12-19, 03:07 AM
Well, that was pretty stupid. But someone on the council probably had Surak's katra, and since he was the father of their whole embrace logic philosophy saving the council might save the core of their culture, but I agree that it would be no where near all of it.

Probably has something to do with the fact that he doesn't claim they saved the entire culture. What he actually says is that the essence of their culture has been saved.

Yora
2011-12-19, 06:56 AM
From the perspective of cultural science: What a BS! :smallbiggrin:

Culture is the dynamic interaction of people. You can't store it and put in on a shelf somewhere.
I am really conflicted if I should watch the movie. Everything I hear about it sounds completely and utterly insane and having barely any consistency with Star Trek. Yet people like it... :smallconfused:

Felhammer
2011-12-19, 12:42 PM
From the perspective of cultural science: What a BS! :smallbiggrin:

Culture is the dynamic interaction of people. You can't store it and put in on a shelf somewhere.
I am really conflicted if I should watch the movie. Everything I hear about it sounds completely and utterly insane and having barely any consistency with Star Trek. Yet people like it... :smallconfused:

Its an action adventure movie that has more in common with Kirk wrestling a Gorn than it does the philosophical intellectualism many claim is Star Trek's foundation. To me, as a man who grew up with TNG and not TOS, the movie feels like a return to the Original Series. Not just in terms of the characters (who actually feel like new versions of those beloved characters) but a return to the way stories were told back then. There's more comedy (some of it even slap stick) and there's more action.

People don't like the movie because the film DOES in fact return to formulas found in the original show, formulas long since dropped once Star Trek returned to TV in 1986. To them Star Trek has evolved into something very specific. The new movie represents a return to the old, which is something different than what some fans were expecting.

If I were you, I'd watch the movie and decide for myself if its any good or not. :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2011-12-19, 01:42 PM
I did see it and think people need to stop using shaky cam during space fight sequences.
I have the kind of brain that "follows the motion" on the screen, visual input overrides my inner ear. I didn't get exactly nauseous, but feeling like you're been turned inside out in a blender while riding a pogo stick was . . .not very fun.
Two ships, and, despite all the fancy CGI, the mass battles of DS9 were balletic in comparison.

Yora
2011-12-19, 01:45 PM
If I were you, I'd watch the movie and decide for myself if its any good or not. :smallsmile:

No, after everything you just said, I wont! :smalleek:

You make it even sound a lot worse than I expected. :smallbiggrin:

Xondoure
2011-12-19, 05:40 PM
No, after everything you just said, I wont! :smalleek:

You make it even sound a lot worse than I expected. :smallbiggrin:

I enjoyed it a lot actually. I'd say its a very solid film with plenty of references to the original Star Trek universe which must be taken as exactly that, references.

Silverraptor
2011-12-19, 06:05 PM
Stargates from stargate

You mean like this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vShFK0rIGV4)

Followed by this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQe1QxHZuWg)

Or how about this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP-YGHNzuLI)

Or, if your want ship hyperspace jumps as well as combat, this will satisfy all your needs. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLCVIAkwQKU)

Felhammer
2011-12-19, 07:59 PM

Or, if your want ship hyperspace jumps as well as combat, this will satisfy all your needs. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLCVIAkwQKU)

Don't forget about the Supergate Stargate! (http://youtu.be/XmiLchJrv9Y)

Anderlith
2011-12-20, 12:16 AM

Don't forget about the Supergate Stargate! (http://youtu.be/XmiLchJrv9Y)
Yes. Their hyperspace is also pretty good