PDA

View Full Version : The Price of Hubris(IC)

Pages : [1] 2

Talkkno
2011-12-16, 02:27 AM
"With the Cellebos Warzone grinding into stalemate at every turn, the Imperium seems committed to attempt to push us back despite the threat's of the Tyranids and Tau at their backs, I'm not interested in seeing my men slaughtered in a meaningless back and forth battles there, and thus we are here, brothers." Hakon remarks, standing at the helm of the bridge of the Unyielding Iron, the bridge mostly silent as besides the chirping of the consoles and occasional rumbling, the menial crew of the ship is made up of mostly servitors, most prominently however the iconography of the Sun Wolf the Space Wolf adopts, with a stylized wolf head emerging from a brilliant sun.

He is small by the standards of a Space Marine, lean and wryly, however his long fangs and grey hairs speak measures of decades of war, a frost blade chilling clinged to his Mark 8 power armor, as he turns to you and snaps his fingers, a hologram of the golden world appearing as it circles in its orbit just below you.

"Thus we are here, Aurum is fantastically fertile and has abundant promethium deposits, even as we speak, the natives are pumping the precious stuff ever since they opened contact with the Imperium. However, they have proved remarkably resistant to negotiation. Their leader, a devil of a warrior who calls himself Rylus Darkscourge, won’t permit any sizable Imperial detachments to land, nor will he allow any outsiders to stray beyond their capital city. Some over-zealous prospectors tried to stray beyond these edicts once, and their deaths nearly shattered the fragile peace between the two groups The Aurans are a proud people, and they are not impressed by the Imperium's foppish diplomats. They respect strength over honeyed words. So who better then the Space Marines as a show of strength, their are no finer warriors in my cadre my brothers." He nods as gesture of respect.

"I have no doubt they will have some trail by combat in order to test your steels and be worthy, but we are negotiating in good faith brother. It is enough that their resources are denied to the Imperium and instead the trade flowing in our direction is enough at this juncture." He remarks as he takes a glance at Aurum from his view screen.

"However, I've also heard of a rash of mysterious murders that have happening to both local and Imperial alike, too clean and efficient to be simply local predators for my liking. I suspect its some kind of alien creature, try to get to bottom of this as well. For we would not want whatever it may be to escape to our holdings as well." Hakon says as he tosses you a data slate with information on the planet, information stolen from the Imperium by the looks of it.

"If you have any questions, better speak them now and who among you will have the glory of leading this venture?" Hakon asks giving you all a appraising glance.

Datafax

Tithe Grade: Exactus Non
Special Notation: Undergoing integration into the Imperium vis the Achilus
Crusade
Geography/Demography: Hot/Temperate, abiding planetary climate is
tropical with a low degree of precipitation and storm activity. The planet has
two main continental landmasses. Each are dominated by arid plains and rain
forest zones surrounding a chain of large mountain ranges. The equatorial
regions are made up of bands of deserts. The planet also possesses relatively
small polar oceans.
Governmental Type: Indigenous Monarchy (reigning ruler is known as
“The Caele”)
Planetary Governor: Not yet determined
Adept Presence: Initial/Low; the Ecclesiarchy and Imperial Guard have small stations set up on the planet’s main continent.
Military: The Aurum tribes have a primitive force of infantry and cavalry (roughly two regiments of each), nominally commanded by the Caele. However from the income from the trade of promethium has been used to attempt moderning their forces.
Trade/Economy/Addendum: Aurum is rich in promethium deposits and the rare decavane crystals (see below). In addition to its abundant natural resources, the planet is strategically well-suited to the needs of the Crusade and the Aurum tribes themselves are a fierce warrior culture that is nearly ideal for integration into the Imperial Guard.

The Golden Blessing
Aurum derives its name from the golden glow that suffuses its atmosphere. If it contained so mundane a resource as actual gold ore, it would be of interest only to reckless Rogue Traders willing to risk the untamed Jericho Reach to exploit it. However, Aurum is rich in a far rarer and more immediately useful resource than metal. The unique amber colour suffusing the sky and tinting the planet originates from its rare Decavane crystals. Decavane crystals can hold an exponentially larger charge than standard crystal batteries, making them highly valued for alternate weapon patterns
and other military equipment. The relationship between the crystals and Aurum’s environment, if any, is unclear, but it is obvious the planet is exceptionally resource-rich and fertile. Nearly every form of flora prospers when introduced to the rich soil, and herd animals mature quickly and free of illness. Even the native population has grown strong and able on this unusually healthy planet, although the native predators are equally flourishing and the Aurans must strive constantly to perfect their martial skills to keep pace with them.) Some have theorized that the Decavane crystals emit a subtle, beneficial emit a subtle, beneficial energy field, while others propose that they are the effect and not the cause of some undiscovered property of the planet. Until the natives allow the Adeptus Mechanicus to perform detailed research, scholars can only conjecture.

Imperial Roots
For their part, the Aurans attribute their planet’s benevolence to the “Soul of Aurum,” a male personification of the planet’s will. This Soul actually has striking similarities to the God-Emperor—from his creation of 20 sons and their armies to a betrayal by his most beloved child. Their religious parables likewise show roots in the Imperial Creed. The original date of human habitation can only be guessed at, but the low gothic dialect and various cultural artefacts clearly indicate an Imperial history.

Culture
Combat is an Auran way of life, encompassing all ages and genders. In the planet’s past, scattered tribes warred for dominance. The tribes have been united for several centuries, but the planet’s predators ensure that martial prowess remains a necessity. As a result, while the Aurans do farm the fertile land and raise herd animals, traditional hunts remains a staple of their culture. The society has not yet developed currency; they rely on a barter system. The traditional Auran greeting is to touch one’s weapon’s hilt to the other party’s shoulder. Non-lethal martial challenges are used to solve nearly any disagreement, from domestic quarrels to trade disputes. If a matter escalates to a serious grudge, the natives have a tradition called “splitting the rock of grievance.”

Aurum’s plains make wood an uncommon commodity and metal ore proves highly scarce. The natives show a relatively advanced understanding of farming and medicine, but their implements tend to be made of rock and bone.

Lycan 01
2011-12-16, 03:19 AM
A man in fine blue and red garb, by the name of Thain Krosus, deftly catches the data slate. He quickly begins to scan it over with hungry grey eyes, his expression one of interest as he idly runs a hand through his short, dirty blond hair. "Fascinating..." he muses aloud. "Wait, their traditional greeting is to tap their weapon's hilt to the other person's shoulder?" he asks, looking around incredulously. "Frik, they must be a trusting people. No way I'd let some stranger put a bolt pistol or chain-blade anywhere near my shoulder, or any part of my body for that matter..." he grumbles, handing the slate off to the next person.

Looking back up at Hakon, Thain smiles aloofly. "Not that I'll let my personal preferences for introductions get in the way of our mission, though. I assure you, Sir, we will not fail in our endeavor. I may not do too well in the tests of strength and physical power, but I should be able to use my charm to our advantage. Surely there must be some on this world who are willing to listen to honeyed words, rather than rely on "might makes right" for everything. And who knows, perhaps I can get a few of those Imperials to see things our way..." Thain says with a smug smirk, a wicked twinkle in his eyes.

"As for our leader..." he ponders, before looking over at Sevanix. With a smile, he states: "I nominate Sevanix the Benevolent. He's powerful, level headed, and he's frikkin' smart, that's for sure. I think he'd make the best leader for this little expedition, don't you all agree?" he asks, turning back to the rest of the small team.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-16, 10:40 PM
The aformentioned Sevanix stands in the full gold and blue armor of the Sons of Magnus. His helmet a uniquely (even by the standards of Chaos) intricate weaving of metal and bionics in seemingly random patterns. two circular blue bionic eyes, and one bionic eye a glowing blue horizontal line. Gold and Blue is painted in seemingly random patterns across the helmet's surface. At least, that's what one would think if they didn't know that that's not a helmet, but his actual head.
An entirely bionic head being but one aspect of the body Sevanix acquired through a mutation that would make any techpriest green with envy, whether they be chaos or loyalist. His mind is largely intact, but habits from the flesh are still very hard to forget. As a result, Sevanix's actual helmet, a 4-horned symmetrical helm with a spartan-styled facemask is held on the mechanical Sorcerer's side.
Following a pregnant pause as the Marine appears frozen at the moment. Lost in the thought as he reviews the intelligence through his mind, thinking of ways to gain the trust of the Aurans. Suddenly he realizes that he is being addressed, and his attention returns to reality just enough to get the jist of what Hakon was trying to say. Although the development of hubris in himself rubs Sevanix the wrong way. My thanks, Hakon. Although I wish to hear what the others have to say.

bluntpencil
2011-12-17, 12:59 PM
Sigurd Stormcloak stands at Hakon's side the whole time, his grey power armour having his lord's Sun Wolf heraldry upon it, as well as other traditional Space Wolf icons.

"These people are warriors, aye?" he asks Hakon somewhat rhetorically.

"Maybe that's better than trade, eh? Don't get me wrong, Jarl Hakon, we need the supplies, aye, but warriors want to fight instead of trading, no?

Would we go to Fenris and ask its sons for stone and steel; or would we ask for flesh and blood?"

He pauses,

"I don't mean ta be disagreeing or anythin', my Jarl, but I'm thinking that should they prove themselves... well... we could get folk on our side, as well as getting fuel and such. Besides, they'll be more inclined ta go along with us if we respect their fightin' spirit."

Talkkno
2011-12-17, 10:33 PM
"Sigurd, you have earned a right to speak your mind as a fellow warrior in arms, so don't think you have to humble yourself." Hakon replies, as he reaches towards a nearby table for an ale, taking a drink, before continuing.

"I am simply asking that opening up of their world as the bare minimum of what we need to accomplish, for it is far easier I believe even among such peoples to establish a flow of trade, then to ask to send their sons to fight in the Sea of Stars, never to return." The Space Wolf finishes, as he takes another swig of his ale.

"It is also a matter of strategic importance, for Aurum lies perilously close to the Tyranid hive fleets, I'd rather have her warriors at home and build her as a bastion as both a bulwark against any possible Tyranid incursion into the Cellebous Warzone and a steeping stone for ourselves to strike the Imperium from the rear." Hakon finishes, as he finishes his drink, slamming it rather hard, making a loud splitting noise.

"For a few million soldiers into Cellebous isn't going to change a dam thing, at the Imperium's heart at Karlack on the other hand is a different matter." His grey eyes harden as he makes the statement.

Lycan 01
2011-12-18, 12:47 AM
Thain listens to the two Space Wolves exchange views. As they chat, the ex-Interrogator reaches into his robes and pulls out a small silver flask. He quickly unscrews the top, and takes a quick, furtive sip from the container. He gives a slight twitch, then puts the cap back on and returns the flask to his robes. With a cough, he rejoins the conversation. "Going back to the murders... What further information do you have on this? Do you know what the location, time, and manner of the killings? Any suspicions as to what it may be?" Thain asks curiously. He'd once been an Interrogator for an Inquisitor - asking questions was a natural habit for him, almost.

Talkkno
2011-12-18, 01:20 AM
Hakon raises his eyes at the former interrogator replying "Thain, I'm afraid that's something that will have be investigated on the ground, the most notable of victims was a Sister of battle attached to local Imperial embassy however."

Lycan 01
2011-12-18, 01:46 AM
"Oh? A Sister of Battle?" Thain's eyes lit up. "They have those here? I was not expecting more than some Guardsmen, Administratum officials, and a few members of the Ecclesiarchy. Pray tell, do you have any information on the Imperium's representatives here? Know your enemy and all that..." the Apostate shrugs.

Talkkno
2011-12-18, 04:40 AM
"Your presumption is correct, the victim was the only member of her order on Aurum." Hakon replies.

bluntpencil
2011-12-18, 08:03 AM
Sigurd nods, smiling, happy to see that his lord avoiding speaking of his new twisted masters.

"If one of the Sororitas was killed, I reckon we've another player involved. Maybe Tyranid advance scouts or something? Maybe worshippers of the Dark Gods opposed to Aurum's current faith..."

As he says this, his eyes narrow with distaste, although his smile remains, even if it is very strained.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-18, 10:07 AM
Sevanix is roused from his train of thought. However this time he was actually listening on the conversation. Sororitas? It is as I feared then, even if it is only one individual. He comes to recall certain information. Imperial Diplomacy is self-contradicting. The Imperial and Inquisitorial resources must be spent very thin to validate not sending their diplomats amidst a volley of orbital fire. The likelihood will increase with these murders. I have no doubt the Imperium, possibly with the Inquisition, will perform their own investigation. He pauses. Prehaps our mutual friend... he makes a subtle gesture to Sigurd ...could be used to co-op the Inquisitorial investigation, as well as nudge them away from us. If our efforts were to be discovered, I have no doubt the Iron Fist of the Tyrant Corpse will close around Aurum. I think we can agree the people of Aurum deserve better. They don't have to embrace Chaos if they don't wish, but if Sevanix and company's efforts are recognized upon their successful conclusion, they will willingly embrace Chaos.
Integrating into the Aurian culture would also secure their cooperation, although I think only Sigurd could move about without a low profile. He pauses briefly, turning to Hakon.
My lord, if I may, do you have knowledge of the cultural ethics of Aurum concerning sorcery and machine? He is obviously talking about himself, though if push came to shove, wearing his full power armor at all times and not using his psychic powers should be enough.

Lycan 01
2011-12-19, 02:10 AM
"Oh? Only one?" Thain replies, his eyes flickering with a hint of disappointment. "Well, that's unexpected. I've heard of few cases where a single Sororitas was used. Granted, I've heard of few cases where Sororitas were used for anything besides slaughter and mayhem..." he quips with a smirk.

"At any rate," he claps his hands together, "I'm right in the rest of my assumption then? Just some Guardsmen, Ecclesiarchy, and Administratum? Shouldn't be too problematic. I can easily worm my way into the Administratum, and I'd love an opportunity to have a nice chat with those Emperor-botherers in the clergy..." he muses aloud.

At Sevanix's mentioning of the Inquisition, Thain scowls. "Ah yes, you have a point. The Inquisition may take an interest in the situation here, especially with the killings and potential for Chaos worship. Can't have their precious new planet be tainted right off the bat, can they?" he sarcastically observes. "Worry not, though. I doubt a fully-fledged Inquisitor will be here in the flesh... unless they know something we don't. There is a distinct possibility, however, that an Acolyte cell or two may be skittering about in the shadows. If we run into them, though, I may be able to put on the charm and convince them that my retinue has the situation under control, or something like that..." he shrugs.

"However," his eyes suddenly narrow, "I just remembered hearing something about this world being considered for Deathwatch activity. I'm not sure what the final decision was on the matter, though. Still, its not beyond the realm of possibility that Astartes may show up at some point..."

Talkkno
2011-12-19, 02:45 AM
"The Deathwatch, I have no doubt that at least a score of Inquisitors have elicited the same idea that has brought us here in response to their stalled negotiations, however the Deathwatch's resources are spread thin, so if they elicited to send any of their Astartes, I would reckon they would send no more then one of their number thankfully, if that's the case. " Hakon grimaces.

"However, even a single Astartes is hardly something to scoff at, many lone wolves have woven epic sagas against greater odds then they would face on Aurum today, so be wary." He adds, his eyes narrowing.

bluntpencil
2011-12-19, 12:31 PM
Sigurd feels the need to ask a question which he considers important,

"Regardin' the natives' religion... I feel we should let them continue to worship their Emperor as they like, aye, without lying to them and subvertin' those there beliefs. I'm all for freein' them from the oppression o' the Imperium, but doin' it by trappin' them in dishonesty won't be sittin' right wi' me, aye?

Any opposed?"

He looks around, genuinely looking for input from the others.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-19, 12:54 PM
Sevanix sagely nods in approval at Sigurd, although there is a hidden thought beneath it, something that Sigurd and probably others might pick up on, some...look that is likely saying "are you manipulating me?" I can think of no moral justification for forcing them to embrace the truths of the warp. If the Aurans want to follow their version of the Imperial Creed it is their decision to make. They're foolish, but it is their right to be foolish. That said, once the iron fist of the tyrant corpse leaves Auran for good, proselytization will be an inevitability if not done before-hand as part of some plan.

bluntpencil
2011-12-19, 01:02 PM
Sigurd nods slowly, not quite picking up on the undertones of the Thousand Sons' sorcerer, wrinkling his nose as he attempts to ignore his strange smell.

"The iron fist is that of the High Lords, surely? Their dead Emperor has had little or no say in the oppression of the Imperium, right?"

He shrugs, though. This is getting onto theology, and largely inconsequential to him.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-19, 06:34 PM
The Great Crusade was a period of when The Emperor brought the lost colonies of Terra into "compliance" from the barrel of the Adeptus Astartes Legions' bolters. Each world forcibly assimilated into the Imperium. This is the same Emperor who returned the primarch Lorgar's worshipping of him as a God with the destruction of his homeworld. This is the same Emperor who's first instinct after receiving warning from my father Magnus about Horus' betrayal was the apprehension of Magnus and the destruction of my legion. This is the same Emperor who allowed the infrastructure to be established from which tyrants may rule. The High Lords and their Sector Lord puppets are indeed tyrants, but their guilt brings the Tyrant Corpse no absolution for his crimes against freedom.

Lycan 01
2011-12-20, 03:28 AM
Thain listens to the two Chaos Marines' exchange views on the matter. He quirks an eyebrow at the Space Wolf's comments about "trapping them in dishonesty," and he is impressed by the Thousand Sons' philosophical depth. "Very astute and well worded, Sorcerer..." the Apostate observes. "You are indeed wise, as I thought. I still stand by my suggestion that you be placed in charge of this little expedition..." he muses.

"Unless, of course, you fellows think I would be a better choice for the matter," he states with an aloof shrug. "I can probably handle the social situations and play the role of "face" better than the both of you, objectively speaking. People are more willing to talk to a charming face than a hulking suit of power armor, you know..." he smiles charmingly. "And I can probably skulk about and gather information with better ease and success than you two might, which will further aid our mission. So, if you would like, I would not mind being the "leader" of this operation. But that's just an academic observation..." he says casually.

"Also, if I may add to the theological discussion," Thain states, holding up a hand, "I fully intend to share the words and blessings of Slaneesh, as well as Chaos Undivided, to those who are willing to listen. I won't be going around forcing people to convert, but if I discover a interested party, far be it from me to keep them from the freedom they deserve..." he shrugs.

Talkkno
2011-12-20, 09:56 PM
Hakon sidesteps the discussion remarking.

"Just remember to keep focused on the task at hand, theirs a reason the Caele keeps the Imperial presence small, to limit their influence. So I would recommend you obtain his permission before embarking on such activities." He says with some distaste.

Bowerbird
2011-12-20, 10:53 PM
There is a faint metal on metal clinking as Cornelius absentmindedly flexes his mechadendrites, as he is wont to do while thinking, he pays little attention to the theological debate as he sees the conversation as largely irrelevant. Instead he seems engrossed in reading the planetary file provided by Thunderfist. Occasionally he'll make a note on his dataslate before continuing. "Fascinating, if these crystals do indeed perform as my officious former colleagues have hypothesised then they will be quite useful for my work. I simply must get myself some samples before those jack-booted technophobes declare it to be some new form of heresy. Not to mention that if the Hive fleet arrives then this planet's unusual fertility would make it a prime target for invasion and unit production." he drones, mostly to himself, but loud enough to be overheard. At this point he looks up, and with a start realises that there's more than just him in the room, "Oh, *ahem* well I can say with some certainty that if these murders you mentioned were perpetrated by some form of Xenos creature that I would be in the optimum position to identify it. As for this "Trial by combat" business, I leave that to my burlier colleages I think." he gives a dismissing wave towards the marines with his disturbingly long-fingered cybernetic hand.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-21, 10:33 AM
Hakon sidesteps the discussion remarking.

"Just remember to keep focused on the task at hand, theirs a reason the Caele keeps the Imperial presence small, to limit their influence. So I would recommend you obtain his permission before embarking on such activities." He says with some distaste.

Sevanix's scrapcode mind causes him to think of what he could be described as. When imperial officials hear "man in massive blue and gold power armor" they will most likely think "Ultramarine." That would probably be best, I am confident that I can weather their trials, though I still would like to know what the cultural ethic is concerning automotonous machines and psykers.

bluntpencil
2011-12-21, 02:01 PM
Sigurd grunts, but doesn't press the argument too much.

He mutters a little,

"Right, freedom. Good point... I hadn't thought of that. It's a good job I haven't sold my soul and its eternal liberty to anything, it sure is. That'd be embarrassing."

He ignores the history lesson spouted by the Thousand Sons' marine, caring not for his blinkered view, his sass being his only response.

However, the talk of Tyranids has him on edge slightly.
"Could the promethium deposits on-planet be used as a makeshift trap to engulf the Tyranid threat in flame, brothers?"

Talkkno
2011-12-21, 05:49 PM
Hakon turns to Sevanix replying "I'm afraid that's something that's going to have to be figured out on the ground." and raises his eyes at Sigurd's comment

"Don't you think that's a little presumptuous Sigurd, the Tyranids are still a salient away, and even if they were daring enough to divert their forces here, the Imperium would surely pull its forces back from the Cellebous Warzone to form a wedge to defend Karlack."

"Does anyone have any more questions." He states with a tone of finality.

Lycan 01
2011-12-22, 10:03 PM
"Oh yes, I wouldn't want to cause any sort of incident," Thain replies, holding his hands up in a supplicating gesture. "As I said, though, I will only be speaking to those that will listen, to avoid any sort of problems or conflicts. I have the utmost respect for these people and their beliefs, and I would hate to cross any sort of lines."

"No further questions, m'lord," the Apostate nods respectfully, clasping his hands behind his back and flashing a smile. "Ready for action."

bluntpencil
2011-12-24, 05:36 PM
"Nah, my Jarl, I'm set fer this 'un." says Sigurd, saluting Hakon with his fist to his chest.

"Fer honour and glory and a' that."

The Space Wolf's eyes dart around and he takes a big sniff at the air before turning to leave and prepare for the mission at hand.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-24, 09:36 PM
Sevanix knows that retrospect is always flawless, and any questions that need to be asked will be realized later. Unfortunately now is not then. No further inquiries.

Talkkno
2011-12-24, 11:01 PM
"Indeed, it is unfortunate, I would normally accompany you on this mission, but I'm afraid that the Unyielding Iron has detected something strange at the edge of the system that requires investigation, so thus who among you will lead the effort to bring Aurum to our fold?" Hakon remarks, as he returns Sigurd's sniff in affirmation, such was the keen senses of the Sons of Russ that olfaction was just a sure of a man's mood or thoughts as mortals would read facial expressions.

bluntpencil
2011-12-25, 06:48 AM
"I'll be leadin', of course," says Sigurd as he walks out, assuming that this was a given, on account of having served with Hakon the longest, and having proved his loyalty on dozens of occasions.

Bowerbird
2011-12-25, 08:56 AM
Cornelius gives a dissmissive wave of his hand, "It matters not to me who leads, so long as I can perform my tasks with minimal obstruction or interruption."

Lycan 01
2011-12-25, 01:56 PM
Thain shoots a harsh glare at the back of the Space Wolf as he walks out. Did the Astartes even listen to a word he'd said? He'd given repeated suggestions and observations, just to be flippantly waved off. Hopefully, this was not a sign of things to come.

Granted, Thain was not stupid enough to challenge the Space Wolf. He was the closest thing to a Loyalist in the room, and he would probably have no regrets or hesitations if he decided to splatter the walls with Thain's viscera. A situation Thain would prefer to avoid...

Emperor Ing
2011-12-25, 03:03 PM
I must contend your self-proclamation of leadership. The scrapcode-laden sorcerer protests calmly. I have the support of at least one of our comrades, you have yourself. I mean no offense of course, but I would like to hear from our remaining allies before we assume whom among us shall assume responsibility for the success or failure of this operation.

Lycan 01
2011-12-25, 03:11 PM
A brief smirk plays across Thain's features. A few strides later, he has placed himself slightly behind and to the left of Sevanix. "Indeed, the Sorcerer still has my backing as potential team leader, unlike yourself, and I would prefer to have this operation be under his leadership for various reasons. Strictly professional, mind you," he adds with a charming smile.

Talkkno
2011-12-25, 04:39 PM
"Then it is decided, Sevanix will lead this expedition, your shuttle is waiting for your descent, the natives were gracious enough to make a landing pad for us, inside the shuttle you will find in the cargo bay crates full of lasguns and charge packs, and a bolt pistol, gifts of good will from me to the Caele." Hakon assents as he raises his frost blade towards the Sun wolf emblem that oversees the bridge.

"For we herald the coming dawn." The Space Wolf asserts solemnly, sheathing his sword, dismissing the group, as he returns to monitor the bridge...

__________________________________________________ ______________
Aurum is true to its namesake. The atmosphere is a soft gold as you descend through it, the daybreak of midday noon shining brilliantly into your view. The shuttle speeds over sandy plateaus wrapped in leafy vines before Haistand comes into view. The tribal capital towers on the border between the planet’s canyon savannas and its fertile mesas. Haistand rests on the flat top of a great cliff, where time has tightly packed more stone and wood structures into the same space. A wide snaking road winds up the cliff-side to accommodate a steady stream of natives from the outlying lands, herding all manner of reptilian argrax, a slightly less temperamental strain of grox whose larger relatives remain wild on the plains, and are often hunted for food.

As the servitor in the shuttle acknowledges the landing, the natives seem to take it no more then an idle curiosity, as they make their way to the walled city above.

Lycan 01
2011-12-25, 04:56 PM
Thain rises from his seat and smiles. "It seems we have arrived. Lets see what this world has in store for us, shall we?"

Once the boarding ramp is lowered, the Apostate strides purposefully out of the shuttle and into the street. He inhales a deep breath, taking in all the scents, sights, and sensations around him. "Ah," he sighs, enjoying the experience. "I think I may like this place... The air certainly has an interesting quality. Vastly cleaner than the typical Imperial world, at least..." he smirks, before he turns to see what sort of reactions the passerby peasants might be having to him and his team.

bluntpencil
2011-12-25, 05:09 PM
A look of betrayal crosses Sigurd's face at the lack of backing he receives from Jarl Hakon.

He feels the urge to lash out, to state how these heretics hadn't fought for Hakon as long as he, hadn't proved their loyalty to him time after time. These other dogs couldn't be trusted, after all. They had other allegiances, their daemons and Chaos Gods, that they put before the Jarl. Only he was sworn to Hakon and Hakon alone.

Sigurd stops still, turns, and glares at Hakon, spitting acid onto the floor, letting it burn the decking. He growls, then drops to one knee.

"Aye, as you command, my Jarl."

It's obvious that this display of compliance is in actuality one of defiance, especially after Hakon Thunderfist said to speak as equals earlier. Still, pulling him up on this would be very poor form after the previous slight, reasons Sigurd, so he could probably get away with it. He then stands, and slams his helm onto his head, and wordlessly stomps onto the shuttle.

After boarding, he sits in silence, nodding with a tense politeness to the rest of the team. Aye, he didn't trust the heathen bastards, but it wasn't their fault his lord had just insulted him.

When it arrives on the planet, he is pure professionalism, going through the Space Wolves standard ops for arriving on-planet, securing the landing zone, just to be sure.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-25, 08:30 PM
Thain's comment disturbs Sevanix, because to his lament, he will never have the ability to feel any wind against his face, the taste of fine grox slab, or the smell of a soul destroyed by a Rubric Marine's inferno rounds. The closest thing he can even think to feel is an illusion conjured by the sights seen by the Sorcerer. He walks down the ramp in the full power armor of a Thousand Son to conceal his mechanical nature, out of fear that there is a cultural stigma against the mechanical.

He looks to Thain, envying his ability to feel but not wishing to deprive him of the experience either. Take your time, but I would like the cargo unloaded as soon as possible. And if you see Cornelius, please tell him to make sure the tribute is accounted for.

Lycan 01
2011-12-25, 09:10 PM
"Right, will do," Thain nods. "I'll grab the bolt pistol myself, and make sure it is kept secure. When we meet this Caele fellow, who would you prefer to do the talking and the presenting of the pistol and the rest of the tribute? Me, or you? I can be quite charismatic and charming, but he may respect you more due to your obvious strength and power..." he concedes with a shrug.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-25, 09:50 PM
Your charisma will be invaluable in dealing with the ambassadors of the tyrant corpse. Both I and Sigurd are skilled enough in martial prowess, though I am prepared to concede my martial inferiority to the loyalist. A brief cackling burst of corrupted code signifies something supernatural occurring as the sorcerer grasps the wraithbone rupee tied around his neck. He attempts to send a thought through the warp directly into the mind of the human before him.

Manifesting Thought Sending (fettered)
Focus Power test
[roll0]
Target: 75

If successful: Thain hears this in his head:
"Expect Sigurd to betray us without betraying Hakon at first chance."

Lycan 01
2011-12-25, 09:58 PM
Thain gives a slight nod in response to the telepathic signal. His expression placid, he tilts his head slightly to the side and asks: "So shall I be the one to present the offerings, then?" He then drops his voice, so that the ambient noise will drown out his voice to all by Sevanix, due to his armor's advanced sensors. "I'll be able to make our tribute sound appealing and noteworthy, and make our offers sound quite appealing. And if any Imperial dogs are there, I'll spin verbal circles around them... Who knows, maybe I can even get them to cross a line and lose face in front of the Caele," he murmurs, grinning mischievously.

bluntpencil
2011-12-25, 11:29 PM
"Shouldn't be too hard," says Sigurd to Thain, "the offers we're makin' are pretty good fer the folk here as far as I can make out. Still, they might try barterin' a bit, but I reckon you'll talk them over no bother."

Interestingly, Sigurd doesn't respond to being labelled a 'loyalist' by Sevanix. Does he consider himself a loyalist? Probably not. Does he care for the opinion of the Thousand Sons? Probably not.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-25, 11:40 PM
No, no no no no no, that won't do. Sevanix goes to correct Thain The last thing we want is the Imperials thinking followers of Chaos are here. Even their corpses will warrant a tightening of the tyrant corpse's iron fist around Aurum, which is not only morally unacceptable, but it will complicate our objective. No, we want to operate from the shadows. All the more reason your talents will be put to good use.

I will need someone to infiltrate the Imperial embassy. I want to know what they know regarding Auran culture, their progress in securing their cooperation, and what they know regarding their murders. I will also need someone to nudge them away from where we will be operating. For example, to make sure no Imperial investigations to these murders have them investigating anywhere near where we might operate.

Tell me, how does this sound?

Bowerbird
2011-12-25, 11:42 PM
Cornelius stands next to the cargo, counting it once more to make sure everything is accounted for. His innate disguise is active, so he appears to be a perfectly ordinary and unremarkable man, "I believe our tribute is all accounted for. Shall we be off? All this sunlight is making my implants itch."

Lycan 01
2011-12-25, 11:56 PM
"I never said anything about killing them, or even resorting to violence. Make them look stupid, perhaps, but not cause any serious conflict..." Thain shrugs. "So, you want me to go incognito and weasel my way into the Imperial retinue here, gathering information and possibly spreading misinformation?" he asks, arching an eyebrow. "Sounds risky. But I think I can do it. The only real problem would be if there are indeed agents of the Inquisition here, but they may not yet know about my Master's fate, which would give me quite the advantage..." the ex-Interrogator muses. Casually, he pulls his flask from his robes and begins to unscrew the cap. He takes a quick sip, and gives a slight shudder, before staring off into space for a few moments, deep in thought. Finally, he looks back up at Sevanix with a smirk. "Yes, I think that is something I can pull off. Now then, shall I accompany you to the initial meeting, or shall an Agent of His Most Holy Inquisition go pay the Imperial Embassy a surprise visit?" he grins, stowing the flask back into his robes.

Talkkno
2011-12-26, 02:16 AM
Sevanix, Thain, Sigurd
As you exit the shuttle, the people look curiously in the strange entourage emerging from the shuttle, most notably Sevanix, it is only a mild cursiouty, as people soon begin to make their way towards the road to Haistand.
__________________________________________________ _______________
Cornelius
The heretek makes his way into the cargo bay, finding two crates, one full of lasguns and the other with charge packs, 100 lasguns and a thousand found within. A human sized bolt pistol hangs over the two crates, with half dozen bolt pistol clips arranged nearby, as well has half dozen mircobeads

(Sigurd only)
Sigurd hears a telepathic message burst inside his mind, as for a brief moment the ships astropath bridges two minds together, the voice of Hakon makes itself known.

" "The hunters virtue lies in his patience, waiting for his prey to make the first move into their trap, watch and be wary, for I too do not fully trust the Son of Magnus. Wait and see if he moves agaisn't us, be my eyes, and this shall vindicate if he is worthy to be in the company of wolves or purged from our ranks."

The message ending abruptly as it came.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-26, 01:42 PM
Thank you Cornelius. And yes, try to get these crates moving. Sevanix really hopes there are loader servitors around.

He then looks to Thain. Consider this: What motive could any sort of third party have for undermining Imperial efforts on this world have? Before you answer that, consider your experience in the Inquisition and what their assumption of their motives would be. Heresy heresy heresy heresy heresy.
But stay with us for the moment. I would advise you keep your face hidden, lest any of these individuals tell rumors of someone with your description being amongst us whose descriptions match those of the enlightened, but I digress. We must arrange a system of dead drops and meeting places to discuss what we can learn.

He then seems to stare out into space, speaking in an inquisitive tone. I also detect that another psyker just exercised their abilities.

bluntpencil
2011-12-26, 01:48 PM
"Aye, I got a voice in my head from the Astropath up in orbit, eh?" says Sigurd honestly, reasoning that the Sorcerer could likely listen in, should he wish to.

"Tellin' me I should be keepin' an eye on folks. No point in me keepin' any secrets from you lot, I reckons. I can be trusted, after all."

He shrugs.

"Probably told me that ta make up fer not being granted leadership. Hell if I care, to be honest, eh? You're the Pack Alpha fer this 'un, Sorcerer, and it's my job to do what yer say, unless you go all traitor again."

Sigurd scratches the back of his helm, as if it could somehow alleviate an itch.

"Hardly of consequence, eh chief? Let's get shiftin'."

Lycan 01
2011-12-26, 07:02 PM
Thain pulls up the hood of his robe and draws it over his head so that his face is obscured by shadow. In a very somber tone, he sternly states: "It is my professional opinion that a heretical conspiracy is afoot here on this world. Rest assured, it will be dragged Emperor's Light and suitably dealt with, by force if need be." After a moment, he smirks, and his voice returns to a low but casual tone. "Though in all seriousness, judging from personal experience this sounds like something the Ordo Hereticus or Ordo Malleus would be looking into. I was Ordo Malleus; dealt with daemons and their ilk. It sounds to me like its either some form of cult or secret order at work, or some sort of intelligent Xeno-type, though the latter option is more unlikely. Besides... the presence of a single Battle Sister could indicate Ordo Hereticus involvement. As I said before, they typically operate in groups. A single one could potentially be part of an Inquisitor's retinue or Acolyte cell..." he growls.

He pauses to think for a moment, then makes an observation. "As for communicating, does your vox unit have a secure frequency? Perhaps we could contact each other in code, and organize meetings or exchange of information. Or meet at predetermined locations and times, like an abandoned building or some spot on the outskirts of town at nightfall?"

Emperor Ing
2011-12-27, 07:04 PM
Oh... Sevanix remarks, obviously put off-guard by the Space Wolf's honesty. Well thank you for your honesty. As for the mission at hand... Sevanix regains his composure as he goes in search for loader servitors or any sort of implements that would help in the carrying of weapons crates.

A system of dead drops could be set up, where you could receive instruction as to the location of other dead drops as well as leave us intelligence on Imperial operations. Contingencies should be established should the system be compromised. Perhaps your office is located on the side of a building where I could secretly project my instructions to you through the wall in addition to dead drops. In theory, if Sevanix suspects a Dead Drop being compromised, he could arrange a meeting this way. However I will light up like a candle in the vast ocean of darkness if the Imperials have a psyker present.

bluntpencil
2011-12-27, 07:18 PM
The Space Wolf nods impatiently as Sevanix details his plans. For the most part, he thinks they're acceptable, but he is somewhat suspicious, what with him being a Thousand Son sworn to Tzeentch, so there might be an alterior motive.

Regardless, he keeps quiet as he shuffles restlessly, since all this skulking around isn't his strong point, and he makes no effort to pretend otherwise. The only subtlety he knows is when to keep quiet, and when to unleash the fury of the Allfather.

Talkkno
2011-12-27, 07:22 PM
Sevanix finds next to crates is a cart, with maglocks adhesive that would adhere well to the metal construction of the crates.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-27, 07:49 PM
Sevanix gestures to the group to help him load the cart with the crates.
I would like to know if the Imperials have psykers as much as the cultural disposition is towards us.

Lycan 01
2011-12-27, 08:00 PM
"Ah yes, I'm sure I can dig up some information on that matter," Thain nods. "Perhaps we should meet back together somewhere near here tonight. That way, we won't be as pressed for time and we can work out our plans in greater depth and secrecy. This isn't the sort of thing we should discuss in public, no matter how low we keep our voices..." he mutters.

"Now then, lets get this stuff loaded up and taken care of..." Thain states, going to help the rest of the group with the loading of the crates.

Talkkno
2011-12-27, 09:09 PM
With a Space Marine's strength, the crates prove be no effort, as they roll it out the supplies out the shuttle on the cart, the snaking road to capital ahead of them.

Whos pushing the cart?

Emperor Ing
2011-12-27, 09:35 PM
There is a truth to hiding in plain sight. Sevanix goes to push the cart down the road. Speaking of which I am going to need that bolt pistol back.

bluntpencil
2011-12-27, 09:37 PM
Sigurd scouts ahead of Sevanix, as he got to the cart before him, stating his intention before doing so.

"I'll range ahead a bit. Should be safe, chief, but no point takin' chances, I don't think."

He heads off, not stealthily, as even if he was able to hide in power armour, the cart would reveal their presence anyway. Instead, he tries to get a good view, a good listen, and a good smell of their surroundings. He ensures that his helm is not sealed against the air, so the scents of Aurum can reach his nose.

Lycan 01
2011-12-27, 09:42 PM
"Should still be in the crates, I never went to get it..." Thain shrugs. "So, when should I split off and go visit the Imperials? Now, or once we're closer to the meeting? The longer I'm with you, the more potential their is for suspicion and risk. If anything comes up while I'm gone, try to vox me non-verbally. Send me three quick bursts if there's trouble, and four slow bursts if you want me to return here..." he suggests.

Talkkno
2011-12-28, 03:39 AM
The road hewn into the cliff that Haistand rests atop is hunderds of meters long, and zig zags constantly as the walls of the city come into view. Midway through the climb, the group pass a slow moving group of argrax. A middle-aged Auran prods them along with a whip and spear, sending the lash in the direction of any reptile that stops moving or makes aggressive motions. As the you go by, one of the creatures raises its snout and sniffs the air. Something about the Space Marines offends them, as it lets out a shrieking roar. The ranger’s whip cracks mightily against the scaled hide, but it is too late. The other reptiles pick up the cry. The herd erupts into violence, breaking into chaos and stampeding everything in their path, the majority heading towards Sevanix, but the animals lash out, and the Aurans seem to well prepared as many start to pull out weapons, skirmishing angry livestock, the herd attempts to push the brightly colored marine off the path into the rocks below.

Everyone roll initiative, but post what their doing anyways, I'll figure out the order of things.
Everyone but Sevanix takes [roll0] damage as the herd stampedes.

Sevanix takes [roll1] (18, due being just regular natural weapons)damage as the herd focuses their efforts on you, and Sevanix need to make a opposed strength test to see if they knock you prone and possibility more...

[roll2]
Everyone can dodge expect Sevanix

Emperor Ing
2011-12-28, 10:11 AM
Sevanix is taken by surprise when the stampede seems to focus its efforts on him. However he is a Space Marine, as it takes only the slightest fraction of a second before he instinctually reaches for his Force Sword, even while getting mangled by the sheer force of these beasts. At first chance, that slight moment when the Sorcerer is able to get his feet on the ground, he plants them firmly, bringing the mythical strength of a Space Marine to bear against these massive lizards.

Init
[roll0]
Opposed Strength
[roll1]
Strength 64 (I also have Unnatural Strength +4)

Lycan 01
2011-12-28, 05:16 PM
Unable to jump out of the way, Thain finds himself trampled underfoot. Staggering back to his feet, his body bruised and his clothes dirtied, the Apostate looks around with a look of livid fury on his face. He refrains from attacking the animals, though, as it would likely cause a diplomatic incident if he began killing livestock.

Total Defense.

Nevermind, see my newest post.

Talkkno
2011-12-28, 06:30 PM
Sevanix holds his ground, the beasts coming down on the Space Marine as waves clashing upon cliff, and stands strong as his force sword comes to life his other hand firmly held on the cart.

bluntpencil
2011-12-28, 06:50 PM
Sigurd rushes back to Sevanix, helping him hold the cart steady, speaking into his ear in a low growl,

"The pair of us should have the strength to bring these creatures to heel."

He doesn't state that it was likely Sevanix's fault they stampeded, as it really couldn't be helped that the animals got spooked by some unnatural psyker-type in power armour.

As the beasts slam into him, he attempts to block and shove them away with his fists, not yet drawing steel. Should the opportunity present itself, he'll try to slam his helm into one with a vicious headbutt.

Bowerbird
2011-12-28, 08:19 PM
Cornelius, who was buried ni his data slate moments before, gives a yelp of surprise and tries to jump out of the way, and generally keep his head down. "Primitive beasts!"

Initiative: [roll0]
Dodge: [roll1] vs 40
Action: Total Defense

Lycan 01
2011-12-28, 11:08 PM
Thain suddenly realizes that this is his chance to escape without drawing too much attention to himself. With everyone's focus is either on the beasts, Sevanix, or safety, the scrawny diplomat secures his hood and then turns to flee. He runs into the nearest throng of escaping peasants, doing his best to get lost in the frantic crowd. He runs a good distance up the path, then once the chaos dies down, he slows his pace and begins to walk at a more casual pace. After walking for a bit, he pauses and looks around for the nearest peasant. "Excuse me," he asks them with a polite nod, "But do you know where I can find the Imperial Embassy? Or any representatives of the Imperium of Man?"

Emperor Ing
2011-12-29, 12:57 PM
Although he has a force sword in his hand, the Son of Magnus opts to kick the overgrown lizard in the face. submit!

Sevanix attempts to stun the creature
[roll0]
Target 25
[roll1]
Str test

Talkkno
2011-12-29, 07:43 PM
Cornelius, Sevanix,Sigurd

Sevanix sheer bulk crashing into the horde of animals manages to stun them momentarily, disorienting them into dispersing, as the ranger manages to whip the animals back into line, the crowd in awe of the impressive display of strength.

Thain
Thain rushes into the crowd, his question is quickly answered as a peasant points to one of the taller buildings near the entrance of the city, standing a bit higher over the walls with a large Imperial Aquilla risen over it prominently, standing 4 stories tall.

bluntpencil
2011-12-29, 09:28 PM
Under his helm, Sigurd smiles. The Sorcerer didn't do too bad, to be entirely fair.

"Good job, chief. If we had used more force, we mighta left these farmers without their livelihood."

Lycan 01
2011-12-29, 10:26 PM
Thain smiles at the peasant, and gives him an appreciative nod. He then turns and heads towards the building.

Approaching the Imperial Embassy, the heretic keeps his hood up and his hands clasped behind his back, striding towards the Embassy at a deliberate, even pace. He's trying to look professional and confident, perhaps even give himself an air of authority to those who see him pass. When he reaches the Embassy, he looks around to see if there are any guards or people he should speak with. If there's no one outside, then he'll simply step through the front door and see whats inside.

Talkkno
2011-12-30, 02:02 AM
Thain
It takes Thain about 15 minutes to walk the gates of the city, though clearly an off worlder, the guards at the gate only give you a cursory nod, as if they were expecting you. The buildings closest to the city entrance are residences, stacked two or even a perilous three stories high. The buildings along the outer perimeter are riddled with windows, as he makes his way to buildng that supports the Aquilla towering in the distance.

Written in High Gothic, the mission that also serves as a makeshift embassy was converted from one the local buildings, is small by Imperial standards, and connected is a two story the building it appears the Imperial Gaurd unit stationed here is next door, a small parking lot shows a Chimera APC and Sentinel walker geared for construction work idle, as a half dozen Guardsmen stand guard over it.

A gaunt, balding man in worn Ecclesiarchy robes stands outside the mission. He holds a worn copy of the Imperial Creed in one hand as three Aurans tower over him wearing mocking expressions. One of the young men makes a half-hearted grab for the book. “Why would a real god need his stories saved in your see-speak?” The missionary narrowly avoids the first Auran but almost backs into another. The second one leans in “Why does he use frail old men to spread his name? If your Emperor is so mighty, why don’t real warriors follow him?” they say, just as Thain walked towards the mission.

Lycan 01
2011-12-30, 02:58 AM
A smirk spreads across Thain's face beneath the shadow of his hood. "Secrets and lies, secrets and lies..." he whispers idly to himself, before turning on his heel and striding purposefully towards the three men hassling the old priest.

"Pardon me, but have you not heard of the Astartes?" Thain asks, his voice curious but authoritative as he approaches the developing scuffle. "Space Marines, as they are generally known. Mighty warriors they are, the champions of Humanity, and all across the universe they spread the name of the Emperor in steel and flame. His Angels of Death... And be careful in your judgment of this frail priest. Do you know what Missionaries like him do on the battlefield when the Imperium goes to war?" he asks them, bringing his hands from behind his back and making an idle gesture at the old man. "They lead hordes of Imperial Guardsmen into the heat of battle, shouting holy scripture and litanies of hate from the front lines, ending the lives of the unclean with two-handed chainswords known as Eviscerators, or purging the unclean with promethium-spewing flamers. They are truly a sight to behold," the Apostate factually states with a smile.

Making another idle gesture at the priest, he states: "Now, this priest, he may indeed be a frail old man. But perhaps he is not, or perhaps he was not always so. I would not be surprised if he had his own share of glorious war stories to share..." Thain shrugs aloofly. "And if he doesn't, I'm sure he'd be able to tell you all about the Astartes and the untold billions of enemies they have crushed in the name of the Emperor," he smirks, pausing to gauge the reactions of the men and the priest.

Charm +10: [roll0] vs 70

Talkkno
2011-12-30, 03:25 AM
The Aurans are clearly stunned by Thain's arrival, his speech clearly making an impact on the impressionable youths, their eyes grow wide as he finishes speaking. The boldest of them standing forward to speak to priest.

"Is that all true?" He asks as he hands him back his book.

Revitalized by Thain's appearance, the old man speaks with a clarity that contrary to his previous frailty, reciting from litanies of Faith

“And from the deeps there arose a mighty beast, of many eyes and many limbs. And the beast from the darkness did set upon the light of mankind with hateful thirst and unnatural hunger! But the Emperor's angels stand matchless in skill and courage and drove back into the dark pits of which it came."

The group impressed, the priest manages to usher into the mission ,eager to learn more, but turning to Thain appreciatively.

"I cannot thank you enough, I am Father Marius I lead the mission here, the Word of Faith. It's been so hard since Sister Rachel's death, this incident more common then I would like I'm afraid. Has Ecclesiarchy sent you to replace her here?" He asks profoundly gratefully for your intervention.

Lycan 01
2011-12-30, 03:54 AM
"It was my pleasure, Father Marius," Thain states jovially, smiling warmly to the old preacher. "And my condolences for the loss Sister Rachael. Her death is part of the reason I am here, though it was not the Ecclesiarchy who sent me," the Apostate states, flashing a quick wink. Keeping a smile on his face, he asks: "Pray tell, Father, who is in charge here, and where can I find them? And can you tell me what the general situation here is, briefly? And finally..." Thain lowers his voice, and his tone changes from jovial to serious, "What have you heard in regards to Inquisitorial presence or involvement on this world?"

Talkkno
2011-12-30, 04:00 AM
"Are you a Inquisitor?" Father Marius replies in kind, fear tinging into his voice slightly.

Lycan 01
2011-12-30, 05:10 AM
"Not quite," Thain smiles aloofly. "But I represent the interests of one. Inquisitors cannot perform every investigation in person, so they use members of their Retinue to carry out certain tasks. I myself hold the rank of Interrogator, an Inquisitor-in-training. I am here to investigate certain matters, including but not limited to Sister Rachael's death; that is why I need to find the person in charge of this Embassy and find out the situation here as quickly as possible. Also, Inquisitors work independently of each other, typically, so if there are any other members or assets of the Inquisition here, it is beyond my knowledge," he explains with a smirk.

Deceive test if needed, though I never technically lied in that post. :smalltongue:

Deceive +10: [roll0] vs 70

Talkkno
2011-12-30, 05:22 AM
"Lieutenant Heth in the building next to the mission and I represent the whole of all Imperial assets and personal at the moment I'm afraid, the previous negotiator to bring Aurum into the fold was Rogue Trader Daiz Lan, but unfortunately he had suffered significant injuries while participating in Aurum's combat trails a few months ago to try to win the natives respect, and hasn't been allowed to speak to the Caele since, the Adminstraium had sent me a message saying they'll send someone else to attempt to open up negotiations, but as of yet they have not showed up. There is not any members of the Inquisition on Aurum to extent of my knowledge." Father Marius says, exasperated at the situation, taking a deep breath.

Lycan 01
2011-12-30, 05:41 AM
Thain listens to the old priest, nodding along to his words. When the Cleric finishes speaking, he smiles and reassuringly states: "Don't worry Father, you're not in any sort of trouble. I can't go into details, but my reasons for being here do not including judging the progress of this Embassy in bringing Aurum into the Imperial fold. Now, may I ask a few more questions, or must you attend to your flock?" Thain idly gestures at the door the troublesome youths went through.

"My questions, if you wish to quickly answer, are simple. What are the assets of the Imperium on this world right now? I spotted a few Guardsmen on my way in, and I'd like to know their identity and numbers, and what other Imperial representatives are present. Where is the Rogue Trader at this time, and what authority does he retain? And what is the Caele's current attitude towards us?" he inquires. Thain is careful to say "us" in his last question, as even the smallest slip of the tongue could destroy his plan and put his life in danger.

Talkkno
2011-12-30, 06:20 AM
"Thank you for your concern, but the novices can handle the services today. Their a half dozen novices that help me run this small congeration of ours. Progress had been slow and steady with bringing the natives to the Imperial Creed, but ever since Sister's Rachel's death, relations have soured, such as the incident you just saw...

Lieutenant Heth can give a full briefing of the Imperial Gaurd unit stationed here, he's with the 34th Scintillan Heavy Guard , his men have been invaluable in constructing and renovating the buildings that we own.

Daiz Lan left the planet months ago ever since his injuries, he's one of the biggest supporters of the crusade don't you know?" Father Marius replies slightly suprised at the questions about the famous Rogue Trader, unhooking one the flasks on his robe to take a drink of water.

Lycan 01
2011-12-30, 06:30 AM
Thain ponders Father Marius' answers. "I see. Why exactly has the Sister's death caused souring in the relationships between Aurum and the Embassy? I will go speak with the Lieutenant after we're done; you're welcome to tag along if you so desire. And yes, I know of him. Lan has ties to the Ordo Xenos, from what I've heard. Interesting that he was chosen for this operation..." the Apostate ponders aloud, partially sincere in his curiosity at that fact.

Noticing the old man going for water, Thain arches an eyebrow. "Would you like to step inside? Actually, perhaps we can head on over to meet with the Lieutenant. We can talk as we walk..." he suggests.

Talkkno
2011-12-30, 06:42 AM
"I was the altar of St. Dominica, where she found the bodies of the Word of faith is weak and local people, and say she committed suicide, but I know better. Rachel had a great suspicion of treachery Rachel towards Aurum. Toward the end of her life, she had begun to suspect that they were hiding a dark secret. In the dead of night She is always dancing on the fire and sometimes the western horizon, heading north confided to me that the men saw a small fleet of Haistand set through the back gate. Rachel is a recent rash of deaths, it was thought to work in the daemon, spent many nights looking that up. But I do not know whether to believe her assertion, I must have that something terrible has occurred can not be denied that she was not late in the hunt. I will face as it was the daemon of us who she is, she's strong belief in the divinity of the emperor, would have been cowardly and do not want to kill yourself.." Father Marius relays the story in high gothic, with a somber tone.

Sounds messed up due to not actually having high gothic only polygot.."

Lycan 01
2011-12-30, 06:50 AM
Thain stares into space, processing everything the Cleric said - or at least, what he thought he said. "I see. Father, we will have to sit down together later and discuss this at length. Some of what she said... You must recount to me everything Sister Rachael confided in you. But not here, not now. Too many ears, too many eyes..." he mutters, eyes shifting suspiciously from side to side. "And I must attend to other business. Now, would you like to accompany me to meet with the Lieutenant?" he asks, arching an eyebrow as he turns to head towards the other building.

Talkkno
2011-12-30, 06:57 AM
A large bell starts to ring just as Thain finishes speaking "I won't be able to do I'm afraid, noon prayers it seems that I must attend to, what was your name again, I didn't seem to catch it." The priest asks, as he begins to walk back into the mission.

Lycan 01
2011-12-30, 07:05 AM
"Interrogator Thain Krosus," the Apostate nods respectfully to the aged Cleric. "Enjoy the service. The Emperor Protects," he bids Father Marius farewell, folding his hands together to make the sign of the Aquila. He then turns and begins to head towards the second building, in hopes he can find the Lieutenant, or anyone else he can manipulate.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-30, 10:21 AM
Under his helm, Sigurd smiles. The Sorcerer didn't do too bad, to be entirely fair.

"Good job, chief. If we had used more force, we mighta left these farmers without their livelihood."
Sevanix nods, feeling inexplicably chilled.
We are in agreement. He says as he puts his force sword back in the sheath. He looks to the farmer My apologies for the inconvenience. before turning back to the cart.

Let us continue lest I accidentally frighten more livestock.
As Sevanix pushes the cart, he briefly looks around, noticing that Thain is missing. He reasons that he took the time to slip away and infiltrate the Imperial embassy, but a part of him is annoyed that dead drops or meeting places were not established.

Talkkno
2011-12-30, 08:25 PM
Thain makes his way towards the Guard barracks, but before he can make to the closed door, the two heavily armored guards standing near the door hold their palms up as a sign to stop, shouldering their lasguns.

"You certianly don't like of any of the Aurans round these, state your business." The one on the right says, as he smokes a lho-stick.

Lycan 01
2011-12-30, 09:22 PM
Thain looks up at the men and studies them for a moment. He then smiles placidly and states: "I seek an audience with Lieutenant Heth. I understand he's the one in charge of the Imperial Guard here, and joint leader of this Embassy. I'm not at liberty to discuss my business for security reasons, I'm afraid. I know its problematic, but that's procedure. And we can't ever have procedure without headaches..." the Apostate smirks, shaking his head. He tries to put them at ease and get on their good side, using his satire of procedure to show he commiserates and sympathizes with them.

Talkkno
2011-12-30, 10:09 PM
"Lieutenant Heth is a bit busy right now filing paperwork at the moment, recently got promoted since his predecessor got his brains splattered all over the pavement in a pissing match with one of the locals, so I don't think he would want to see you right now." He replies in kind.

Lycan 01
2011-12-30, 10:14 PM
Thain's smile fades. "I'm afraid his paperwork will have to wait. I need to see him as quickly as possible, as this is a matter of Imperial security which is of far greater importance than a field promotion."

Activation Test for Serpent's Tongue: [roll0] vs 60

Deceive +10: [roll1] vs 70

Talkkno
2011-12-30, 10:47 PM
"Well if you say so..." The guardsmen murmur as they let you pass.

Thain makes his way into the barracks, the Lieutenant's office located on the first floor near the first wave of sleeping cots, as Thain finds a young man with black hair sitting on a desk filing copious amounts of paper, too busy to notice the apostate.

Lycan 01
2011-12-30, 11:04 PM
Thain coughs to get the officer's attention. When the Lieutenant looks up, Thain smiles and nods at him. "Greetings, Lieutenant. My apologies for interrupting your work, but I understand you are the man in charge around here? Other than Father Marius, who I've already had the pleasure of meeting. I have some things I'd like to discuss with you, matters which you may find more important than that field promotion. Congratulations, by the way..." he smirks, trying to guile his way into the officer's good favor.

Charm +10: [roll0] vs 90 (Fel 60, +10 skill, +20 Serpent's Tongue with Imperial Guard)

Talkkno
2011-12-31, 01:41 AM
Heth looks up at Thain, his eyes weary, and rubbing it for a second.
"And who may you be?" He asks.

Lycan 01
2011-12-31, 01:52 AM
"My name is Thain Krosus, and I am a representative of His Most Holy Inquisition. Interrogator in the service of the Ordo Malleus, to be precise," Thain states in a factual, authoritative manner, his hands clasped behind his back and his posture straight.

Deceive +10: [roll0] vs 90

Talkkno
2011-12-31, 02:18 AM
The officer begins to panic at hearing name of the Inquisition.

"Whatever would you require?" He says, putting away the papers he was working on.

Lycan 01
2011-12-31, 02:27 AM
Thain smirks. "Do not be so panicked, Lieutenant. I am not here to pass judgment on the progress of this Embassy, as I have already told the good Father. I am here to investigate various other matters. What I'd like from you at this point is information. What can you tell me about the status of the Imperial Embassy here? What are you assets, in regards to numbers and equipment? And what is the current relationship between us and the Caele and his people? I noticed some hostility on my way in; some youths were giving Father Marius some trouble, but I managed to talk them down. I think I may even led them into the Light of the Emperor, considering they're in the Chapel now..." he muses.

Talkkno
2011-12-31, 03:08 AM
"Their is 50 Guardsmen stationed here, got some heavy weapons in the armory, and the chimera and sentinel outside, but that's pretty much it, my men often drill in the training grounds not too far from here. Ever since Daiz Lan near died in their trails of theirs, respect for the Imperium has fallen at all time low, asserting "he was not a man", resulting the incidents you see now. Sister Rachael's death has only made the situation worse, since I personally believe their was Auran involvement, a girl like her would never take her life so they attest. I’ve seen Caele Darkscourge up close a few times. He used to come to the barracks to talk to the Lieutenant—the old one. When you meet him, you’ll certainly see why they follow the man. You just know he’s sure he’s doing the right thing—or I guess that’s what the Aurans think, I mean. He doesn’t look at us like the rest of ‘em do though. Most of them just seem to be laughing on the inside. But when he looks at us, you can tell he’s searching for something, and seeing something the others aren’t. I think I like it better when they laugh." He says fully, as he finishes organizing his papers in a cabinet below his desk.

Lycan 01
2011-12-31, 05:12 AM
Thain nods along as the Lieutenant brings him up to speed. "I see. Do we possess any other assets? Psykers, Commissar, Medicae, Techpriests, et cetera? Anything in the way of Vox networks or security systems? Also, this Caele sounds... intriguing. How often does he grant an audience with our representatives, and who gets to see him? The way you describe him... piques my curiosity, to say the least..." the Apostate muses thoughtfully.

Talkkno
2011-12-31, 05:28 AM
"Couldn't give you a full run down, all that's in the paperwork I was working on, though we got an astropath and a cogboy upstairs though. Ever since the incident with Lan, the Caele has refused to meet any Imperial representatives for negotiation until they complete the trail he has for anyone brave enough to step forward. " He replies, pointing to the cabinets that surrounded his office to emphasize the point.

Lycan 01
2011-12-31, 05:40 AM
"I see. I'd like to take a look around. Examine the Embassy, look through those files, maybe have a chat with the Techpriest and some of your soldiers. I suppose I need clearance from you to move about the Embassy freely and perform my inquiries?" Thain asks in a business-like manner. "I can't go around telling every trooper and clerk my identity, as it could hamper my investigation. I'm sure you understand..."

Talkkno
2011-12-31, 05:47 AM
"What are you investigating Interrogator by the chance? Might be able to point you in the right direction. Cogboy's not here at the moment I'm afraid, went up north to help the natives getting their promethium wells up to speed." He asks, raising his eyebrows slightly.

Lycan 01
2011-12-31, 05:55 AM
"Hm. Pity. I'll speak with him later. As for my reasons for being here..." Thain looks around to see if anyone is listening in. He then leans in close to the Lieutenant, and speaks quietly so that only he may hear him. "I cannot give you all the details. I can, however, tell you that one of my investigations involves the death of Sister Rachael and the related string of murders. I am also looking into the existence of any heretical practices or beliefs amongst the populace. And I must also do some studying into the folklore and legends of this world, for... academic purposes..." Thain states darkly, trying to imply that the Lieutenant does not want to know the whole story.

Talkkno
2011-12-31, 06:01 AM
"I see...well I think you should the native's temple, just a block or two from here should give you a pretty good measure of local beliefs and practices, I try to keep away from the Aurans myself when I can help it, ever since Lieutenant Balastern's brain got smeared all over the training grounds." He replies, nodding.

Lycan 01
2011-12-31, 06:11 AM
"Excellent, most excellent," Thain smiles, clapping his hands together. "I will do my best to avoid rousing their ire. I understand the traditional greeting is to tap your weapon against their shoulder?" he asks, pulling out his power blade as an example. He flicks the dagger's power field on for a second, then flicks it off with a smirk. "I'm sure that doesn't need to be on when I do that, though. Do I greet every Auran that way, or just ones of title and authority?" He does this for two reasons: to genuinely find out the answer, and to help cement his image as a figure of authority, due to his possession of such an uncommon weapon.

"Also, do I need any sort of ID badge or anything to show that I have clearance to be around here, or will verbal permission from you be enough? As I said, I'd like to talk to some of your troopers, but I'd rather not have to reveal my full identity. Your door guards were not easy to work with, though they were only doing their duty," he says with a smile.

Talkkno
2011-12-31, 06:24 AM
"That among themselves, haven't seen any offworlder try that on them." He shrugs as he continues.

"I'll clear you, all the troopers got mirco-beads." He says, as he taps his own mirco-bead set and murmurs something.

"Will you be needing anything else?" He asks, as he goes right back to his desk and works on filing some folders.

Lycan 01
2011-12-31, 06:28 AM
"No, not at the moment. I will likely come back by later, and pore over some of these files. Now, I'm off to go pretend I'm an Administratum clerk checking up on the situation here for logistical reasons, or something silly like that," Thain smirks knowingly at the officer, folding his hands in the sign of the Aquila. "The Emperor Protects." After that, he looks around the building a bit, going floor to floor to see if he finds anything or anyone noteworthy. If there's nothing worthy of attention, he'll head back outside.

Talkkno
2011-12-31, 06:40 AM
Thain walks the hallways of the barracks, he finds the normal amenities any Imperial Guard barracks, a few sleeping in their cots but otherwise the building is strangely empty, most likely outside drilling in the training grounds in the city the likely answer. He finds cognaitior room, but finds it firmly locked.

Lycan 01
2011-12-31, 06:43 AM
Thain heads back outside and takes a quick look around the courtyard of the Embassy. He checks to see, once again, if there is anything or anyone noteworthy in sight. Failing that, he heads over to where the half-dozen Guardsmen were standing earlier, hoping to share a few words with them.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-31, 09:17 AM

Sevanix nods in agreement. No reason any others must suffer because of my bad luck. He looks to the farmer in question, careful not to approach or make any sudden moves lest he spook the lizard-grox again. My apologies for the inconvenience sir, please continue as you were.

He then goes to the cart to continue pushing it down the road.

Bowerbird
2011-12-31, 10:56 AM
Cornelius picks himself up from where he had fallen into a defensive crouch, muttering to himself about primitive life forms and their inability to look after their livestock.. He dusts himself off before examining the cart and cargo for damage.

Talkkno
2011-12-31, 07:33 PM
Cornelius, Sevanix,Sigurd
It takes the group about 15 minutes to walk the gates of the city with no further incident, though clearly an off worldesr, the guards at the gate only give you a cursory nod, as if they were expecting you. The buildings closest to the city entrance are residences, stacked two or even a perilous three stories high. The buildings along the outer perimeter are riddled with windows.

Where are you guys going?
Thain
"Your from the Administratum right? Heard their was a shuttle coming, here to bring more supplies?." One of the Guardsmen asks as he approaches them in the parking lot.

Lycan 01
2011-12-31, 07:39 PM
Thain smiles apologetically. "I'm afraid not. They just sent me to get an idea of what the situation here is. The condition of the Embassy, the morale of the troops, the diplomatic and theological progress with the natives... Those sorts of things," he sighs, trying to give the impression that he isn't exactly thrilled with this assignment. "So I thought I'd come have a chat with you, since you don't seem too busy."

Emperor Ing
2011-12-31, 08:14 PM
Sigurd, keep an eye out for Imperials. He shouldn't need to explain why...again.

Sevanix gives a curt nod to the guards. He continues before asking the first Auran citizen he sees. Excuse me, but may I be directed as to the residency of the Caele?

bluntpencil
2012-01-01, 02:25 AM
"Aye, nae bother, I'll keep an eye out fer trouble, chief. I'll let you know if I spot any, will avoid any bloodshed fer now," responds Sigurd. He obviously has reservations about fighting the Imperium, or at least has issues with starting said fights.

Talkkno
2012-01-01, 02:33 AM
Thain
"Oh, well , it hasn't been to good ever since Sister Rachael's death frankly, they send someone with you to take one their trails of theirs?" One of them asks curisouly.

__________________________________________________ ____________
Cornelius, Sevanix ,Sigurd
A tall well muscled women she carrying a giant two handed sword and wears bright red scaled armor; more of the same creature’s scales hang in her short blond hair, approaches your request.

"My name is Alkedre Firstalker, Rylus’s Sinsar, his second in command I've been expecting you, are you ready to meet the Caele?" She asks , eying the Marine's power armor curiously, before reaching out to shake hands.

Lycan 01
2012-01-01, 02:49 AM
"I'm afraid not," Thain shakes his head. "Sounds like we're stuck in a bit of a rut, unfortunately. Mind if I take a seat?" he asks, looking around for something to sit on. "You say things haven't been good... How so? I understand the locals have been giving you trouble. I'm also assuming there isn't too much for you to do around here, either... Correct?" he asks with a wry smirk.

Talkkno
2012-01-01, 02:56 AM
Thain finds a bench to sit on
"Yeah , the locals just don't respect us very much, on account since Lan failed their trails, the Lieutenant has us running drills everday, to keep us out of trouble ." He replies.

Lycan 01
2012-01-01, 03:17 AM
"Drills to keep you in line, you say... No Commissar to crack the whip, eh?" Thain asks curiously. "Lucky you. And don't worry, I won't mention that in my reports. Are you allowed to leave the Embassy, to explore around or perhaps visit the local taverns? Or is there seriously nothing for you to do around here besides do drills and smoke lho-sticks?" he inquires.

Talkkno
2012-01-01, 03:33 AM
"Yeah were allowed, used to do it quite a lot, but ever since Sister Rachel's death and Lieutenant Balastern's face got pulped over an insult at one the taverns,, no one's been real keen to mix with the Aurans of late." He replies, adjusting his helmet.

Lycan 01
2012-01-01, 03:48 AM
"An insult you say? What was said exactly?" Thain asks. "Well, this certainly can't be good for morale. Do you have any other activities around here? Cards or dice? Female company? Music or pict-shows? Moonshine? I mean, you can't just sit around here doing nothing every day. Idle hands are the daemon's workshop, you know..." he mutters, shaking his head.

Talkkno
2012-01-01, 04:30 AM
"Not sure, heard it from one my buddies whose out drilling right now. We got all those things in the barracks, expect for the girls of course. Lieutenant Heth been a bit more lenient on that kind of stuff despite the drilling as of late, then if we on front line duty." He replies,.

Lycan 01
2012-01-01, 04:43 AM
"No girls in this unit, or no access to local girls? Though I suppose given the locals' views towards us, its understandable that their womenfolk may be... difficult..." Thain shrugs sympathetically. "Your LT has the right idea, though. Good to see somebody in charge who understands logistics. I suppose I should be moving on, unless any of you fellows have something you'd like to chat about. Though, I may be paying a visit to one of the taverns later... for information gathering purposes, of course. Would any of you perhaps wish to join me?" he asks, arching an eyebrow and flashing a smirk.

Talkkno
2012-01-01, 04:57 AM
"Both, I'm afraid my men and I are on guard duty all day today, I'm Sergeant Barak, by the way.' He says, putting out his hand for a shake.

Lycan 01
2012-01-01, 05:02 AM
"Ah, Thain Krosus, its a pleasure to meet you Sergeant," Thain smiles, shaking the officer's hand. "Perhaps this evening, then? My schedule looks to be rather fluid, as I'm mostly just going to be doing paperwork and information gathering..." he observes with a shrug. "At any rate, I must be going. I look forward to our next meeting."

Once that conversation is concluded, Thain decides to leave the Embassy. He then looks around the surrounding areas, checking to see if there are any locations of note. He tries to keep as low a profile as possible, however, as he has no intention of drawing too much unwanted attention to himself.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-01, 10:37 AM
A tall well muscled women she carrying a giant two handed sword and wears bright red scaled armor; more of the same creature’s scales hang in her short blond hair, approaches your request.

"My name is Alkedre Firstalker, Rylus’s Sinsar, his second in command I've been expecting you, are you ready to meet the Caele?" She asks , eying the Marine's power armor curiously, before reaching out to shake hands.

Sevanix shakes her hand, making a conscious effort not to crush it.
Hello, I am Sevanix. And yes, I am ready. The sooner he's off the streets the better.

Talkkno
2012-01-02, 12:31 AM
Alkedre nods, as she makes her way threw the city, leading the group to the Caele's homestead at the heart of the city, along the way the make their way threw the market area of the city.The goods exchanging hands hands are representative of the Auran's day-to-day life. Baskets of produce and grain from the agricultural mesas crowd the narrow walkways. Bladed weapons are displayed plentifully beside ornaments of bone and glittering gold crystal. Perhaps the most interesting sight is the hanging carcasses of giant, predatory lizards several times the size of a man. The skins sthey see and freshly butchered meat of various midasaur strains fills the nearby air with the slight scent of blood. Among the crowd, they notice Thain wandering threw Commerce aisles.

You guys can stop if you want, or you can just keep going.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Thain
Thain only

"Properly." The segerent replies, managing a small smile, as his attention goes back into watching the sorroudning streets and vehicles.

You make your way to the commerce aisles, these haphazard rows of carts and baskets are the heart of Haistand. The goods exchanging hands hands are representative of the Auran's day-to-day life. Baskets of produce and grain from the agricultural mesas crowd the narrow walkways. Bladed weapons are displayed plentifully beside ornaments of bone and glittering gold crystal. Perhaps the most interesting sight is the hanging carcasses of giant, predatory lizards several times the size of a man. The skins you see and freshly butchered meat of various midasaur strains fills the nearby air with the slight scent of blood. Among the crowd, you notice a merchant waving his hand excitedly towards you.

Lycan 01
2012-01-02, 12:46 AM
Thain

The Slaneesh cultist savors every sight and smell. His mind spins as he inhales the scents of the beasts' blood. He notices the merchant gesticulating towards him, so he decides to head over in his direction and see what wares the man may be hocking.

Talkkno
2012-01-02, 01:12 AM
Thain
Thain only

Thain makes his way to the merchant, his wares displayed prominently on a cart, but he waves them dismissively. He shorter then your average Auran, with matted brown hair and remarks.
"Ahh, offworlder, I'm glad I caught your attention, my name is Beyrr, and I think I have something of interest."
He surreptitiously produces a wrapped object from under his vest. Within the leather folds is a very unusual knife. Its handle is common carved stone, but the blade is a large, curving talon of sleek charcoal black chitin.
"This extremely rare blade is sharper and more deadly then the fangs of a Diablodon and pierce its scales with matchless ease. Interested off worlder?" He says slyly, almost at a whisper.

Lycan 01
2012-01-02, 01:17 AM
Thain

Thain's eyes narrow, and his lips curl into a sly smirk. "Ah, fascinating. You're quite the savvy businessman, it seems. Color my intrigued..." he nods. "Please, tell me more. Sell me on this... item..." The Apostate is indeed interested, but not only in just the blade. The stranger is likely trying to play the roll of a huckster, somehow conning him out of his money. But his diction is noticeably better than the majority of the Aurans around them... Most curious...

Talkkno
2012-01-02, 01:40 AM
Thain
Thain only

"Indeed, offworlders like you are the future of Aurum, and I've made it my business to obtain many of your fantastic wares. If you doubt my words..." He says, standing up as he goes back into his cart and brings back a large fist sized stone, he sets it carefully down on the ground, and takes the blade and slices it cleanly in half with just the minimum of strength, and brings the knife out to present once again.

"See, no damage. I'm willing to part with this blade with one of the instruments you offworlders have that spit out a beam of searing light that can drop a man instantly over 50 paces." He remarks, holding the knife with exaggerated care.

Lycan 01
2012-01-02, 01:47 AM
Thain

Thain arches an eyebrow. "Pray tell, how'd you get your hand on such an item? What material is it made of, and how was it made? I've never seen anything like it in my travels, even on the most advanced of worlds..." he mutters, feigning disbelief.

There was something strange about this man and this weapon, he was certain of that...

Talkkno
2012-01-02, 01:58 AM
Thain
Thain only
"I'm afraid I cannot tell you, I can assure you no other man in the Haistand has a blade this keen, and it would behoove me to keep supplies of such things secret no?" He replies in reasoned manner, sitting back.

Lycan 01
2012-01-02, 02:01 AM
Thain

"Ah, but a prospective buyer cannot be expected to simply hand off his hard-earned Thrones and personal effects for something he has little knowledge or understand of. Its your job as a reputable merchant to make sure your customer is comfortable in their purchase, as this ensures that they'll be more willing to make the buy, and it reduces the risk of them coming back later to demand a refund," Thain reasons with a smile.

Talkkno
2012-01-02, 02:08 AM
Thain
Thain only

The merchant looks at Thain slightly blank as he introduces foreign sounding terms, but nevertheless is won over as he bites his tongue, stating.

"One of the Caele's warriors named Heydal traded these talons to me. Though, this was many months ago and Heydal does not live in Haistand."

Lycan 01
2012-01-02, 02:24 AM
Thain

The Apostate studies the merchant for a moment, his face locked in contemplation. He then shrugs, reaches into his robes, and pulls out his las-pistol. He twirls the weapon in his hand in a flourishing manner, then holds it out, the butt of the pistol facing the man. "Here you go, good sir. I'll take that talon-blade off your hands, if you don't mind. Now, can you tell me how I may be able to get in contact with this Heydal fellow?"

Talkkno
2012-01-02, 02:54 AM
Thain
Thain only

"Thank you, I assure that it even with arduous use, it will not dull. As for Heydal, only the Caele I think would know of his current location, he is one of his most trusted men." He replies, exchanging the knife for the laspistol carefully, putting it back in the leather holster, stuffing the las weapon in one his pockets.

Lycan 01
2012-01-02, 03:10 AM
Thain

"And the Caele doesn't wish to meet with the Imperials. Huzzah..." Thain rolls his eyes, taking the blade and giving it a couple of small, idle swings in order to gauge its weight and balance. "Hm. This is a nice blade..." he mutters.

Talkkno
2012-01-02, 03:17 AM
Thain

Thain toys with his new blade for a moment, before looking around him and seeing the very distinct form of Sevanix as he tows the cart, with the others in toe, lead by a women in red armor and a huge two handed sword.

Lycan 01
2012-01-02, 03:37 AM
Thain smirks upon spotting his comrade-in-arms. He then looks around for a quiet corner of the market or the nearest alley. He's trying to find the best spot where he'll be left alone and overheard by the least amount of people, though he doesn't total escape from prying ears. Retreating to the relative privacy of that location, he reaches up and taps his ear, keying his commbead. "Contact established with Imperial Embassy," he voxes to Sevanix and the rest of the squad. "I've already got quite a bit of material for my report, as I've already found several glaring Administratum oversights. I've found no evidence of proper security measures such as Vox-thieves or jammers, and they have only a paltry 50 Guardsmen in garrison, with only a few heavy weapons and two vehicles. To make matters worse, they have only a single Techpriest, and just one Astropath... On the positive side, trooper morale is decent, despite the lack of a Commissar and any real purpose or motivation. They seem to be having quite a bit of trouble with the locals, as the Caele has essentially refused to speak with us until Imperial representatives can pass some test. Oh well, not my responsibility..." he grumbles into his Vox, playing the role of a disgruntled Administratum clerk. "At any rate, we should be free to meet and share our findings whenever and wherever we so desire. I'm available for contact via Vox at any time..." he observes.

Thain then looks down at his new blade, and closely examines it while waiting to see if anyone replies.

Trade (Chemist): [roll0] vs 55

Emperor Ing
2012-01-02, 08:59 PM
Sevanix picks up the transmission within his helmet. He puts a hand to his helmet to motivate the machine spirits into transmitting his words. He decides to play along with the ambiguousness of Thain's phrasing. Just in case.
You need not worry my friend. The Ultramarines and the Space Wolves have sent one of their own respectively to aid in our efforts. Because a Space Marine in blue and gold armor with a Space Wolf can't possibly be a member of the Thousand Sons. The Caele will respect them soon enough. Remember that this is operation is meant to have Terminus level secrecy. Please keep all personnel away from the city entrance around Midnight. Praise the Emperor. That last phrase was intended as a wink.

Talkkno
2012-01-02, 09:56 PM
Noticing Sevanix stopping, Alkedre turns around asks the Chaos Marine.
"Would you like to stop to purchase something, we have many fine wares from all over Aurum here in the Commerce Isles."

Lycan 01
2012-01-02, 10:49 PM
"Tonight at midnight, then. If security is an issue, I'm sure I can requisition a Guardsmen or two to cordon off the area. And May His Light Guide You," Thain replies, before ending his transmission. He then looks down at his new dagger... and frowns. "Is this... soot?" he asks no one in particular, brow furling as he reaches down to wipe the at the blade.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-03, 12:38 AM
Noticing Sevanix stopping, Alkedre turns around asks the Chaos Marine.
"Would you like to stop to purchase something, we have many fine wares from all over Aurum here in the Commerce Isles."
The Son of Magnus shakes his head. Preferably wanting to risk as little exposure as possible. I must respectfully decline at this time, I was having a discussion with an associate. I do not doubt the Caele would wish the good will of Tzeench to be delayed any further. He says the last sentence glancing to the weapons crate. He then resumes pushing it.

bluntpencil
2012-01-03, 03:40 AM
At the mention of Sevanix's patron, it takes all of Sigurd's willpower not to growl angrily. Still, he carries on with his duty as bodyguard, keeping an eye out for any trouble.

Talkkno
2012-01-03, 06:15 AM
Thain
Thain carefully brushes off the layer of material over the blade, revealing it to be mostly black, but the very fanged tip of the dagger is a very tarnished light grey.
__________________________________________________ ________
Alkedre nods in assent, as she makes her way to the Caele homestead. The Caele’s residence sprawls along one of the cliff edges. The main structure is three stories high and ancient, dating beyond the memory of any living Auran. It has a flat roof and striking granite columns at the entrance. Time and the elements have eroded the columns, but large swathes of their original inscriptions remain visible. They portray overlapping ellipses, angles, and vectors.
An Ordinary (+10) Scholastic Lore (Astromancy) or Navigation (Stellar) Test to figure out what the inscriptions mean.
Smaller stone annexes connect to the large house by gravel paths. You notice the complex includes a small pen for theratryx mounts, and a large garden of hanging plants. A few warriors come and go from the main building, but they seem to be more on errands rather then patrol.

The Sinsar leads you into a large, circular chamber of the main building. The room has a sand floor and no furniture. It has no external windows and instead several wall sconces provide torchlight and give off a faint herbal smoke. Between the torches hang tapestries so faded that their weaves are nothing but mottled gray outlines of men and beasts now.

Caele Rylus Darkscourge enters from the door opposite the one you came through. He strides towards you with confident grace. As he comes closer you realize that his height is impressive even for an Auran, standing just a head shorter then a Space Marine. He nods a greeting but does not smile; his dark eyes are serious. He has long black hair contains several small braids, and wears scale armor and a bone circlet similar to Alkedre, as she makes her way to stand by the Auran leader side, but is burnished gold rather then red, and sheathes a blade on his right side.
“Welcome, I've heard that you are your Caele Hakon's representatives, come to broach the same subject the Imperium has done with me for many years. So tell me, what does your Caele offer to Aurum that the Imperium is unwilling or cannot provide?” He asks, his eyes.

"I'm assuming you guys are taking off your helmets right?

Emperor Ing
2012-01-03, 11:49 AM
Sevanix opts to leave his helmet on, not wanting to risk his mechanoid features being taken as some sort of offense.
Freedom. The Sorcerer speaks matter-of-factly. He considers warning the Caele about what will inevitably be an overrunning, but he has the feeling this warrior culture would foolishly welcome that. The Imperium is ruled by shriveled tyrants and bureaucrats who rule with an iron fist in the name of the Tyrant Corpse they call The Emperor. They are beyond reason. They do not respect strength. They do not respect martial pride. The only respect they have for your fanatical devotion to a shriveled corpse on a golden chair an unfathomable distance away. To do otherwise, to maintain your freedom, your possessions, and your very life from those who oppress in the name of the Tyrant Corpse, is an offense worthy of not only your death, but the death of those around you.
He pauses, making a dramatic glance around the room.
I know you have seen their emissaries. 50 men who cannot hope to swing a sword, if I recall correctly. My lord and my master offers you an alternative. As a sign of not only their, but my own benevolence, I present to you a gift of ranged weaponry. Sevanix hands the Caele the bolt pistol. And this is for your person. One sample of some of the finest examples of ranged firepower in the galaxy.

bluntpencil
2012-01-03, 01:11 PM
Sigurd grinds his teeth a little when Sevanix insults the Emperor. He should know fine that the Space Wolf hated the Imperium, but not its Emperor. When the Sorcerer mentions how weak the guardsmen are, Sigurd removes his helm, revealing his red, bestial beard and hair, as well as his slightly pointed teeth.

"Aye, my... comrade... speaks the truth about the Imperium's emissaries. The Jarl Hakon sends us instead, as a show of honour and respect. We are mighty warriors, and I am personally of the Jarl's, the Caele's, own blood and clan. We come not as beggars or invaders, like the decaying Imperium would."

Lycan 01
2012-01-03, 02:56 PM
Thain pivots on his heels and begins to stride purposefully back towards the merchant. One look at his face - an expression of irritation and dead-set intensity - shows that he means business. As soon as he approaches the merchant, he will stop and make a single, venom-laced statement: "I have a question."

Talkkno
2012-01-03, 06:05 PM
The Caele nods in assent at the gifts, fumbling with the bolt pistol for a moment, before returning to speak.

"Interesting, most interesting. So it is the choice between security and freedom it seems then. However, before we can speak more on this subject, I need you to prove your steel to the people of Aurum. Even if I wished to grant you an exception to the laws which have governed emissaries for decades, my people would never accept it. Honored warriors though you may be in your own worlds, you are unproven here. No Auran has a voice in our councils until they are initiated through our rituals. I am told your Brotherhoods has similar traditions of choosing, so surely you understand their importance. I will offer you an opportunity I have presented few others: undergo a Trial of Proving. Do this, and not only will you advance your lord in the eyes of my people, and perhaps then we can see about an alliance."

__________________________________________________ ________

Thain
"What is it?" He asks, while fumbling in his cart, turning to face you.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-03, 06:13 PM
The Sorcerer nods. I understand. And anticipated this. Anxiously awaited it actually. It is your custom. Though if I may: what can we expect in these trials?

bluntpencil
2012-01-03, 06:15 PM
Sigurd grins, his pointed teeth flashing a little. He chuckles and slaps Sevanix on the back, nodding and chuckling a little. He doesn't presume to speak in the leader's place, but he seems to think this challenge a great idea.

Lycan 01
2012-01-03, 06:23 PM
Thain holds up the now-cleaned blade. "You had this blade covered in something to make it appear black. You were hiding something about it. I highly suggest you tell me why. I don't think people would be willing to buy from you if they knew you lied about your merchandise, now would they?" the Apostate arches an eyebrow.

Talkkno
2012-01-03, 06:36 PM
Rylus nods, in assent remarking warmly.
"Thank you for accepting my offer, Alkedre will be responsible for preaparing for the Trail of Proving." He steps aside, letting the Sinsar take the floor.

She moves towards "The nature of a warrior’s proving varies with the standing they are vying for in society. You are to undergo the trial of the most honored Aurans: the Divested Hunt. This ritual sends warriors to the Reaving Canyons, where the mightiest creatures of Aurum dwell. Your task is simple, Bring nothing with you into the Canyons. Using only your skill and ritual Auran weapons, you must slay a adult Diablodon and bring back its head."

“The Diablodon is the largest of the Reaving Canyon’s denizens. It stalks on two legs, and favours the inferno of the Deadlands.” She sketches a distinctively uneven four-toed print in the sand “That is the shape of its track.” Then she draws their attention to her brilliant red armor. “But most-over, you will know it by the color of its scales. Its hide is patterned like the blazes of hell itself.” She states simply, letting the air hang for a moment before asking.

"Do you have any questions about the Divested Hunt? If you need time to prepare, that is fine, return here when you feel you are ready to embark with me to the Reaving Canyons."

Thain
"I was unaware their was anything on the blade, it must been very thick, for I handled these daggers very carefully. But the blade is just as keen no?" He replies, going in his cart and pulling out another of the blades, and sweeping off the layer of material, the appearance the same as yours after dusting it off, looking at it most curiously.

bluntpencil
2012-01-03, 07:06 PM
As soon as she mentions the use of only traditional weapons, Sigurd immediately hands the Caele his chainsword with a grin, assuming that the planet's king would likely appreciate his enthusiasm,and begins removing his armour, chuckling to himself as he does so.

"Finally, some folk that know how things are done! Anyone here got a sword big enough for me, eh?!"

Talkkno
2012-01-03, 07:12 PM
The Caele nods, remarking.
"Do not worry about the safety of your possessions, I will be guarding them personally."

Wait a minute...are you guys even wearing anything under your power armor? :smalleek:

Emperor Ing
2012-01-03, 08:11 PM
((I am a robot, so that's irrelevant for me. This (http://1d4chan.org/images/7/7f/1285382081001.jpg) is what I imagine spess mahreenz have under their armor.))

Sevanix is in pause for a moment, before finally coming to a decision.
Hmmmm...very well. However I must warn you that what is underneath my armor is my actual body, and I can no more remove it than you can your own flesh. He proclaims this before reluctantly removing his helmet. Fortunately his mechanoid body isn't fused to his armor, however it is not farfetched to think that underneath Sevanix's armor is another suit of armor.
The helmet is removed, revealing a vaguely humanoid head with a metallic outer shell concealing the inner workings of eldrich and forbidden technology. Three lenses with glowing red light appear on his "face."

bluntpencil
2012-01-03, 08:37 PM
As Sevanix joins him in removing armour, Sigurd stops, freezing still, with a genuine look of shock on his face. His hackles rise, and he drops a little, into a slight crouch, but quickly reasserts himself, eyes wide open, staring at the mutant freak beside him. He knew he was unnatural, but what was that cog for? Why were there pistons there? What did he eat? Did he drink oil instead of ale?

Emperor Ing
2012-01-03, 08:41 PM
((Erhm, Sevanix had his helmet OFF on Hakon's ship. Read my introductory post, I specificed that his helmet was being held at his side.))
Sevanix senses a disturbance in Sigurd. He glances at him.
..what?

bluntpencil
2012-01-03, 08:47 PM
((My bad. Just assume that Sigurd hasn't gotten used to it yet.))

Sigurd growls a little, but doesn't bother to explain his obvious uneasiness at having such a freakish mutant as his superior.

Lycan 01
2012-01-03, 10:03 PM
Thain stares at the man for a moment, and then sighs. "Alright. I suppose I can't fault you if you didn't know about it, either. Still, might I suggest more careful examination and testing of your items before you sell them next time?" he advises, before turning and heading off on his way.

Thain decides to head back towards the Imperial Embassy. Once he returns to the compound, if there's no one new or noteworthy in sight he'll head into the Chapel for a quick examination, so see what the Ecclesiarchy has going here.

Talkkno
2012-01-04, 02:16 AM
Thain
Thain heads back to the Imperial compound and something immediately strikes him, that several Guardsmen are in the parking lot are working on removing the Sentinel's powerlifter and replacing it with some kind of heavy weapon.

Lycan 01
2012-01-04, 04:24 PM
Thain

Thain immediately begins to stride over towards the Guardsmen and the Sentinel. When he approaches, he puts on a smirk and pretends to be casual, though in reality he is somewhat concerned. "Ah, preparing the Sentinel for a training exercise? What sort of weapon is that?" he asks in a jovial but curious manner.

Talkkno
2012-01-04, 06:11 PM
Thain
"Multilaser, naw not for a training exercise, you wouldn't believe it, but one of Father Marius's congregation saw what he swore to be a Chaos Space Marine in the market today! It's probably nothing, but can't hurt to prepare, so Heth's pulling all the men from the training field back to the barracks, and sent out some scouts to be sure." Sergeant Barak replies, as he directs his men in assembling the multilaser, two men coming out the barracks hefting a ammo box towards the Sentinel.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-04, 07:41 PM
Sevanix dismisses it and continues, slowly and with obvious reluctance, removing his armor.

Talkkno
2012-01-04, 07:52 PM
Sevanix's mechanical form even disturbs the Caele, his eyes growing wide as he slowly states.
"What manner of dark magick is this?"

Lycan 01
2012-01-04, 08:20 PM
Thain shakes his head incredulously, before spinning around. "I must speak to the Lieutenant about this..." he states factually, before hurriedly walking away towards the barracks.

As he walks, Thain reaches up and keys his commbead, and sends a message to all members of his team, hoping somebody hears him. "There's a situation. The Guard is mobilizing - all troops are being recalled, and the Sentinel is being armed with a multi-laser. Seems somebody spotted a Chaos Marine in the Market. The LT. is sending scouts; I'm going to see if I can accompany them and see what the frak all this is really about. Interrogator Thain out," he snarls into the Vox, dropping the identity of an Administratum clerk, but maintaining the guise of an Inquisitorial agent. Hopefully, though, his voice is low enough and not enough people are around for him to be overheard anyway. He then picks up the pace and tries to get into the barracks as quickly as possible.

Talkkno
2012-01-04, 08:56 PM
Thain
Thain heads back into the barracks, and towards the LT's office, as he sees Heth with what must be his command squad, all of them pouring map of Haistand and marking several points on the map, along the way, you notice a Gaurdsmen lugging a heavy bolter out the building.

Lycan 01
2012-01-04, 09:05 PM
Thain

Thain makes a beeline for the LT and his command squad. "What's this I hear about Chaos Marines, Lieutenant?" he inquires, his expression stern and his tone carrying an air of authority. To his knowledge, only Heth knows the "truth" about his Inquisitorial involvement, but now is not the time to dance around the "truth" with the other Guardsmen. He needs to be direct and to the point right now, and any mistakes could result in needless bloodshed - possibly his own. Something he'd rather like to avoid...

Emperor Ing
2012-01-04, 09:08 PM
Sevanix's mechanical form even disturbs the Caele, his eyes growing wide as he slowly states.
"What manner of dark magick is this?"

Sevanix anticipated this, fortunately.
It is a gift from my Master. It is not something to be feared, as it is a symbol of-
There is a buzzing in his helmet.
Erhm, may I be excused for a moment?
Sevanix puts on his helmet and walks off not far from the group to a more deserted place in the room, but not so far that he's totally out of earshot, although it should be difficult to make out what he's saying.
A Chaos Marine? Preposterous. There are no Space Marines whom have fallen to Chaos. To suggest otherwise is heresy in and of itself. These aren't Cadians are they? They would have also seen a Space Wolf. A Space Wolf traveling peacefully with a Chaos Marine is even more preposterous. We both know that what the trooper saw was an Ultramarine. The lad may have to be re-evaluated but please do not be too hard on him. Glory to The Emperor.
He walks back taking off his helmet again.
My apologies my Caele, business matters.

Talkkno
2012-01-04, 09:19 PM
Thain
The Lieutenant tears himself from the map and looks at the Thain.
"Aw, Interrogator, great timing. Just got my promotion, and to think the first thing I have to deal with is a Traitor Legionnaire...but I digress. Good thing Father Marius was sermon today was about the Horus Hersey, or the dread forces of Chaos might have hid under our radar. It's most likely nothing hopefully, but can't ever see be too sure right? The informant told us that the last direction he saw him moving was towards the Caele's homestead, so I've dispatched a combat squad of scouts to be sure." He replies, a little jumpy.
"Symbol of what exactly?" Alkedre asks, still slightly unsettled.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-04, 10:28 PM
Of my strength, vigilance, and faithfulness. There is so much you do not understand, though I do not think now is not the time to go into it.

Lycan 01
2012-01-05, 12:17 AM
Thain

Thain pales, for various reasons. Then he gets the vox message. "One moment!" he holds up a finger, then turns and strides a few steps away to hear what Sevanix has to say. As he listens to Sevanix, he idly makes remarks just within earshot of the Lieutenant and his men, so that they can overhear him. "Ah... yes my Lord... I don't know if they have clearance for that information, but given the situation, I will tell them what I can. Emperor be with you, my lord Astartes."

Killing the Vox feed, Thain strides purposefully back over to the Guardsmen. "Alright, this is all a misunderstanding, and the most important thing here is that you sent armed Guardsmen towards the Caele's homestead. I suggest you recall them immediately before the natives see it as an act of aggression and turn hostile on us. Now, in regards to the purported Chaos Marine, I am afraid the witnesses were mistaken. It is not a Traitor Legionnaire, but rather an Ultramarine. Did they make mention of the Space Wolf accompanying him? We both know a Space Wolf and a follower of Chaos would never consort, Lieutenant..." Thain explains, smiling in a knowing fashion. "As for why they are here..." his smile fades, and his tone grows very grave, "I am afraid that information is classified, and you do not hold the required clearance level. Trust me when I say it is official Adeptus Astartes business, and we shall leave it at that and just go on with our lives."

I'm not lying about the Caele seeing the Guardsmen as a threat, though. That's a genuine concern and warning. :smalleek:

Bowerbird
2012-01-05, 12:41 AM
Cornelius stands unobstrusively in the back, preferring to let the hulking marines do the talking. He adjusts his robes uncomfortably at the mention of unarmoured, unequipped combat, "Apologies, Lord Caele, but are we all required to undertake this trial by combat business? I feel my associates here are far and away better suited to the arts of combat than I... However I am more than capable of answering any queries you might have regarding the equipment we have gifted to you." His face betrays little to nothing about the vox messages passing between his comrades, if things turn out for the worse he is sure he'll survive. He always has.

bluntpencil
2012-01-05, 02:25 AM
As Sevanix explains that his mutations are a 'gift', Sigurd is obviously unimpressed, snorting as he says this.

He very obviously considers it a curse, yet keeps silent on the matter, slightly distracted by an off smell.

Talkkno
2012-01-05, 02:59 AM
Thain
"A...Ultramarine?" He says confused, his command stuff sharing the same expression, taking a deep breath.

"...Very well, I'll recall my scouts, since I've already recalled my men from the training field, I think I'll let them have the rest of the day off then." He remarks, sighing tapping vox on his desk, and calling off the search.

"Are you to take part in the Divested Hunt then?" The Sinsar asks Cornelius.

"It occurs to me that not one of you have said your names." The Caele remarks in slightly annoyed tone.

Sigurd
Sigurd only

The smell is unmistakable, as you recall as you walked threw the homestead, and is present now in this room, it is a smell of a Son of Russ, one clearly distinct from your own, however it beyond that, it is unfamiliar, however it gives Sigurd a slight shiver in his spine for unknown reasons, as if it recoiled at its discovery.

Lycan 01
2012-01-05, 03:11 AM
Thain

"Yes, an Ultramarine. I'd explain in greater detail... but I wouldn't be able to guarantee your safety afterward," he says with a playful smile, though the look in his eye shows that he's not joking. "At any rate, I'm sorry for all the trouble this has caused. I'm impressed at how quickly you and your men took action, though. Such vigilance is what all Guardsmen should strive for," he nods sagely, hands clasped behind his back.

"Now, unless there are any other pressing matters, I believe I shall go pay a quick visit to the Chapel. Oh, and where is your Techpriest? I came into possession of a strange dagger earlier, and..." he pulls the merchant's blade from his robe, holding it up for the rest of the Guardsmen to see, "I have some suspicions about it. Its probably mundane as the sole of your boot, but... can't be too careful," he smirks knowingly. "So I'd like him to run a few tests on it, if possible."

bluntpencil
2012-01-05, 03:21 AM
"Apologies, Caele, I'm used ta my armour announcing my presence wi' my heraldry, an' the heraldry of my Jarl, eh? Deeds speakin' louder than words an' all that.

That bein' said, I'm Sigurd Stormcloak, of Jarl Hakon's Wolf Guard."

Sigurd announces this with honest pride. He might hold no truck with Chaos and its like, but he is still a loyal follower of his Wolf Lord, and damned proud of that fact.

He inhales deeply through his nose, apparently looking around to see if anyone challenges his honour as a champion of Jarl Hakon.

In reality, he is attempting to identify the smell more closely. Does he recognise the individual? Is it a lingering scent, or still present?

Talkkno
2012-01-05, 03:37 AM
Thain

"Our techpriest is coming back from the promethium wells as I speak, won't be here for another 30 minutes or so though." The LT replies, as he dismisses his command squad.

"I wish you luck on the Divested Hunt then, Sigurd, it is rare occasion indeed for our people Rylus replies, satisfied by the explanation.

Sigurd
Focusing on it more closely, Sigurd is unable to identify the individual but manages to understand that it is is a lingering one, but it it couldn't been older then a day or so.

Lycan 01
2012-01-05, 03:46 AM
Thain

"Ah, alright. I'll hold on to it until he returns, then. Now then, I'm off to the Chapel, but I'll probably be back shortly to read through that paperwork you mentioned earlier," Thain says. He turns to leave, then pauses. "By the way..." he mutters, his voice dropping low, "If you can gather together whatever files you have on all these murders, that would be appreciated. Crime scene reports, autopsy files, anything and everything..."

After that, everyone's favorite Slaneeshi Apostate decides to drop in on the Chapel and see what it has to offer in the way of information and, potentially, entertainment.

Talkkno
2012-01-05, 04:49 AM
Thain
"Those were for the local authorizes to handle, and Shieldmaster Zayr would be the guy to look for." Heth replies, as he goes back to organizing his papers.

Thain heads to the mission and finds that the door is solidly locked.

Lycan 01
2012-01-05, 04:58 AM
Thain

The Apostate sighs, then knocks on the door. "Hello? The situation is secure now. You can unlock the door..." he states loudly enough for somebody on the other side to (hopefully) hear.

Talkkno
2012-01-05, 05:05 AM
Thain
The door slowly opens the door, revealing Father Marius pulling the door open with a hooked pole, as he holds a antiqued flamer by his side, his eyes looking at you very carefully, then relaxing.

"Are you sure, did Heth's men already purge Chaos from Haistand?" He asks softly, still on the edge.

Lycan 01
2012-01-05, 05:10 AM
Thain

Thain smiles, and holds his hands up reassuringly. "All a big misunderstanding, Father. Everything has been settled. I can't go into the specifics, though. Classified material and whatnot, I'm sure you understand. Take comfort in the fact that some of your congregation paid attention to your sermon on the Horus Heresy, though. Heh heh... At any rate, may I please come in? I'd like to have a look around, if you don't mind..."

Talkkno
2012-01-05, 05:17 AM
Thain
"Who could mistake the dread warriors of Chaos, it was very clear what must have been a powered armored Space Marine in blue and gold livery, with the iconography of one of the Ruinous powers." He replies, skeptically, holding his flamer tightly.

Lycan 01
2012-01-05, 05:33 AM
Thain

"Father, it was an Ultramarine," Thain says with a comforting smile. "They wear blue and gold, and somebody must have seen it and automatically jumped to conclusions. As for the iconography, I doubt they got close enough to see what decorum their armor actually had. From across a crowded market place, there's no telling what they saw..." he shrugs. "At any rate, all I can tell you is that it was an Ultramarine, accompanied by a Space Wolf no less, which rules out any possibility that it was a Chaos Marine. And they're here on official Adeptus Astartes business, which I cannot disclose, but its nothing you need to worry about at all. Now, you look like a nervous wreck. Perhaps you should go sit down and relax?" he asks, showing an expression of concern.

Deceive +10: [roll0] vs 70

Talkkno
2012-01-05, 05:45 AM
Thain
"Two of the blessed First founding chapters here on Haistand, Praise the emperor, perhaps seeing the sight of such mighty warriors will instill some more respect, these Aurans for the Imperium." Father Marius replies, as he relaxes his hands on his flamer, letting Thain inside.

It is a modest chapel by Imperial standards, with stained glass windows depicting events of the Imperium's long history, the Horus Hersey, the Age of Strife, the Age of Apostasy, the Age of Rebirth...however it is only large enough to fit enough pews for few dozen worshipers, a mighty Aquilla standing prominently above the stand. The mission is strangely empty though however.

Lycan 01
2012-01-05, 06:00 AM
Thain

Thain arches an eyebrow. "Seems rather empty. Are you the only one tending this mission, Father? No other clergy, priests, nuns, scribes? Seems... a bit underwhelming, to be honest, considering you're preaching to a whole planet. No offense meant, mind you..." he shrugs.

Talkkno
2012-01-05, 06:06 AM
Thain

"They are all hiding in the basement, I was planning to accompany Heth's men. The Caele greatly restricts the activities we can do here on Aurum." He replies as he heads to hurriedly heads to the basement door near the left pews, opening it and going inside to reassure that all is clear.

Lycan 01
2012-01-05, 06:11 AM
Thain

Thain smirks. "I admire your conviction. Few men would be willing to go off and fight Traitor Astartes, even with the best training and equipment. They chose well when picking the leader of this Chapel, it would seem..." he observes with a shrug, leaning against a wall near the basement door while he waits for the priest and his fellow clergy to return.

Talkkno
2012-01-05, 06:23 AM
Thain
Father Marius emerges from the basement, with a half dozen young novices, one of native Auran, several of them taking up brooms and dusters, cleaning the commotion of rapid exit that must have happened here and one of them heading the tower to ring the bells. They are dressed in simple robes, like Father Marius, but less ornate. The Auran novice runs out the door, presumably to tell the congregation reassure that their is no "chaos" marine.

"The battle against Chaos cannot be won simply on strength of arms along, faith must steel men's hearts against the terrors of the Ruinous Powers for the day truly to be won." He remarks, nodding to Thain as he opens the door to the mission.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-05, 10:54 AM
"Are you to take part in the Divested Hunt then?" The Sinsar asks Cornelius.

"It occurs to me that not one of you have said your names." The Caele remarks in slightly annoyed tone.

Ah yes, my apologies. Sevanix says, slightly embarassed. I am Brother Lexicanum Sevanix the Benevolent of the Ultramarines. Please call me Sevanix though.

I doubt a Decieve check is necessary since the Caele and the Sinsar would almost certainly have absolutely no idea what an Ultramarine is. And he's covering his tracks.

Lycan 01
2012-01-05, 10:49 PM
Thain

Thain surveys the novices as they pass by, trying to recognize their ages, genders, builds, and other physical attributes. "Reminds me of a quote by a famous Inquisitor, Gideon Ravenor. Have you heard of him? He wrote a dearth of philosophical and theological dissertations and treatises, though I'm not sure how well-read he is beyond my colleagues and some Schola Progenium programs..." he idly muses.

Talkkno
2012-01-06, 01:12 AM
Thain
"I have not, though that wouldn't be surprising, considering I've spent much my life outside the Imperium." He remarks, as he orders some papers on a pedestal.

Your eyes survey the remaining novices, their all fairly young, the oldest being mid 20's perhaps, all of them male, their builds disguised by their thick robes.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-07, 12:11 PM
Sevanix recalls something. Oh yes, please excuse me for a moment.
Sevanix walks to the side of the room, putting on his helmet to activate the vox channel. A matter has come up that may require your expertise. Report to the Caele's throne room immediately. Without The Emperor there is nothing. He's growing weary of using the praises of the Tyrant Corpse to close out vox transmissions, but it's a useful trick to throw off any potential listeners.

bluntpencil
2012-01-07, 07:41 PM
"So, who last went on this hunt, eh? Any success?" asks Sigurd as Sevanix awaits Thain's response.

"We'll have to do better than the last guy, aye?"

Lycan 01
2012-01-07, 08:59 PM
Thain is just about to ask the old priest about living outside the Imperium, when suddenly he gets a Vox message. "Yes?" he asks, keying the feed. His eyebrow arches as he listens to Sevanix, before he gravely replies: "I will be there as fast as the Emperor wills."

Turning to face Father Marius, Thain states: "I have been summoned to the Caele's throne room. I am not sure when I will be back. Inform the Lieutenant for me, please, as I can spare no time to speak with him. But at some point, we will need to carry on this conversation, and discuss other matters. Until then, may the Emperor keep his gaze upon you," he nods sagely, before turning to leave.

Thain then heads up to see the Caele, curious as to how this will all work out.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-08, 12:30 AM
Sevanix returns to the Caele. He looks like he is about to say something but then quickly holds his equivalent of a tongue when he realizes he's probably gonna be interrupting someone.

Bowerbird
2012-01-08, 02:41 AM
Cornelius seems taken aback, he hadn't realised he wasn't introduced, though given his general absentmindedness he's not particularly surprised. "Apologies, Caele, I am Cornelius. I confess I am not really much of a warrior, my area of expertise lies primarily with medical and scientific knowledge. I had heard recently that there has been an unusual string of deaths, and that it is possible that these deaths are caused by some form of Xenos life-form, and my expertise happens to be exotic Xenos organisms. Perhaps I may be of some assistance with the investigation?" he steeples his fingers thoughtfully, Not mention getting a chance to study the local wildlife and this marvellous growth they seem to benefit from...

Talkkno
2012-01-08, 03:23 AM

"If you are not here to partake in the Trail of Proving, then leave!" The Sinsar snarls at Cornelius.

"The Divested Hunt is a rare occasion for us, one of has not yet to occur in a decade, though we sent hunting parties into the Reaving Canyons often, the Dailbodon's hide and teeth make for the strongest armor and weapons on Aurum, unless you have any other questions or need to prepare, are you ready to undergo to the Trail of Proving?"

Thain

[color=red] "Best of luck to you, the Caele is a diffcult man to work with.." The priest warns as Thain heads off, threw the winding streets of Haistand, finding himself in front of Caele's homestead.

The Caele’s residence sprawls along one of the cliff edges. The main structure is three stories high and ancient, dating beyond the memory of any living Auran. It has a flat roof and striking granite columns at the entrance. Time and the elements have eroded the columns, but large swathes of their original inscriptions remain visible. They portray overlapping ellipses, angles, and vectors.

You notice two gaurds standing watch over the front door.

Everybody:
Timing issue. Unless, you telling the Caele to wait for Thain, your going to see most likely outside just about to go in the building.

Bowerbird
2012-01-08, 03:56 AM
Cornelius narrows his eyes in reply, his expression becoming more hard. There's an odd clicking sound as he taps his fingers together on his prosthetic hand in annoyance, which is probably at odds with his unremarkable appearance. He pointedly turns his back to the Aurans, facing Servanix and Sigurd instead, "Should you prevail against this beast I would like a significant portion of it for study if at all possible. I can be contacted via the vox if you require me," He gives an angry sideways glance in the Sinsar's direction, "Make sure it's important," Before sweeping out of the room without so much as a backward glance. Musclebrained troglodytes...

Emperor Ing
2012-01-08, 01:38 PM
Actually I have contacted another, and he should be on his way shortly. Thain is his name. Could you please make sure he is able to make it? He says as he grips the wraithbone pendant.

And Sevanix uses Short Range Telepathy on Cornelius (fettered)
Focus Power test target 75
[roll0]
If successful: Cornelius hears this in his head:
Come with us. You need not do anything and our glory will be all the same.

Lycan 01
2012-01-08, 09:52 PM
Thain

Thain pauses to examine the markings for a moment. He wants to just quickly check and see if they're in any way similar to Chaos glyphs. As his eyes skim over the surface, he keys his vox. "Question, which identity should I assume for the Caele? Thain the Imperial, or Thain the Renegade?" he asks in a hushed tone, so that none beyond those on his team's vox link can hear.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-08, 10:47 PM
Of course you are a faithful servant of His Righteousness. Remember that you a part of His plan, and be thankful you have a role to play in it. Destroy the shadows with The Emperor as your torch. Sevanix adds a subtle Tzeenchian line in there, but phrases it as to replace the Architect of Fate with the Tyrant Corpse. Needless to say, he's telling Thain to continue as an Imperial.

Talkkno
2012-01-09, 11:04 PM
color=gold] "So this weapon...what is it exactly? I've familiar with what I believe is called a "lasgun", but this looks all toghether different from those weapons." [/color] The Caele inquires, looking the bolt pistol a bit more closely.

Lycan 01
2012-01-09, 11:38 PM
Thain

Thain is just about to step inside, when he stops to send another Vox message. "Wait, the Caele doesn't want Imperials in his court. If I come in there and say I'm an Imperial, he'll kick me out - and possibly you too. Though, I could claim to be a neutral party, and say I'm helping you and the Imperials... Still, is it really a good idea for me to come in there?" he asks, concern evident in his hushed voice.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-10, 12:01 AM
"So this weapon...what is it exactly? I've familiar with what I believe is called a "lasgun", but this looks all toghether different from those weapons." The Caele inquires, looking the bolt pistol a bit more closely.
That is what we call a bolt pistol. While the result is the same: Point at enemy, pull trigger, enemy dies, the effectiveness as well as the handling of a bolt pistol over its las counterparts is distinct. The bolt pistol fires a .75 caliber bolt round with a diamantine tip, mass reactive detonator cap, and a depleted deuterium core that engorges itself into an enemy's flesh before exploding with a force great enough to shred your enemies from the inside. This is a weapon that is significantly more powerful than the lasgun, and it is much a symbol of authority as it is deadly.

I am certain any one of us would be more than happy to instruct you as to the proper functioning, handling, and maintenance of a bolt pistol, if you so wish.

Over the vox:
You are not undertaking this endeavor on behalf of the Imperium, you are undertaking it on behalf of Thain. You are with us, and we will vouch for your membership.

Lycan 01
2012-01-10, 12:42 AM
Thain frowns. "Alright..." he says without much confidence over the vox, before heading inside.

Talkkno
2012-01-10, 12:53 AM
Everyone:

Thain makes his way to the meeting room without difficultly, just as the two marines finish removing their power armor, the Caele looks at him, looking at him seriously.

"And you are?..." He says in Thain's direction.

Bowerbird
2012-01-10, 01:34 AM
Cornelius passes Thain in the hallway outside the briefing room, "Greetings, you wouldn't happen to know who to visit to request further information about those murders would you?"

Sorry to go back a bit there, but I need somewhere to actually go, since I now hold a great deal of contempt for the Sinsar. Such rudeness. :smallannoyed:

Lycan 01
2012-01-10, 01:25 PM
Thain shrugs at the Techpriest. "I was told to talk to the local authorities for in-depth information, Shieldmaster Zayr specifically. I'm going to be interviewing the leader of the Imperial Chapel later; I'll tell you what I figure out..."

Stepping into the throne room, Thain gives a bow upon being addressed by the Caele. "My name is Thain Krosus. An honor to meet you, Sir. I was told my services were required?" he asks curiously, arching an eyebrow.

Talkkno
2012-01-10, 07:51 PM
"I assume this is the last of your band to embark on the Divested Hunt then?" Rylus asks, raising his eyes at Thain.

Lycan 01
2012-01-10, 07:59 PM
"Embark on the what?" Thain asks, tilting his head slightly. He looks over to Sevanix. "Wait, where am I going? When? I've actually been making progress with my investigations, so going right now may not be the..." his voice trails off, realizing that the Caele may not appreciate his reluctance, and see it as a sign of weakness. He then looks back at the Caele, and holds his hands up in a supplicating manner. "That is to say, I have not been informed of this Divested Hunt, or my potential involvement in it. I have little idea of what it is, or what is being asked of me," he explains factually. "I cannot agree to something if I do not know anything about it. I mean no offense, of course."

Talkkno
2012-01-10, 08:08 PM
"Before the Caele can consider any overtunes of allaince, you must prove yourself in the Divested Hunt, the most honored of our trails. Your task is simple, Bring nothing with you into the Canyons. Using only your skill and ritual Auran weapons, you must slay a adult Diablodon and bring back its head." The women wearing red armor who stands next to Caele remarks, pointing to the makeshift track she woven into the sand earlier.

"The Diablodon is the largest of the Reaving Canyon’s denizens. It stalks on two legs, and favours the raging inferno of the Deadlands.” She pointing to the makeshift track she woven into the sand earlier. “That is the shape of its track.” Then she draws their attention to her brilliant red armor. “But most-over, you will know it by the color of its scales. Its hide is patterned like the blazes of hell itself. Standing over 3 times the height of the tallest Auran, it will be hard to miss.” She finishes.

Lycan 01
2012-01-10, 08:16 PM
Thain very slowly turns and stares at Sevanix. "You... uh... Can I talk to you privately... please?" he asks, a tinge of nervous concern in his voice.

Bowerbird
2012-01-10, 10:30 PM
"Thank you." Seeing Thain head towards the throne room he feels compelled to add, in an ominous tone: "Have fun." before walking out into the town muttering to himself. He asks the first person he runs into if they could direct him to this "Shieldmaster Zayr."

Emperor Ing
2012-01-10, 10:53 PM
Yes.
Sevanix takes Thain aside. I understand your concerns. Fears of unknown beasts that...well, I need not remind you. Know this: I will do everything in my power to ensure your survival and you need not do anything except witness this beast's destruction at Sigurd's hands and my sorcerous fire. The glory and prestige gained through this will further whatever ambitions you have with the Aurans. If need be, consider it as a test of your strength to the Gods.

Lycan 01
2012-01-11, 12:54 AM
Out of earshot from the others, Thain stares at Sevanix for a moment, before a twisted smirk begins to form on his lips. "Actually, that sounds like quite a plan. Of course, I'll try to help in whatever ways I can, but unless they give me a flintlock rifle or something, the most I can do is provide moral support. However, there's the matter of the Imperials..." he mutters, arching an eyebrow. "They think I'm an Interrogator, after all. However, I also told them I am not officially involved in Embassy business. Perhaps I can tell them that because of that, my actions won't give their cause any sort of credit with the Jarl. I'm sure I can spin some sort of tale... At any rate, I suppose I'm coming along, then. Quick question, though. Are we allowed to ask the girl in the armor or the Caele questions?" he asks curiously.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-11, 01:35 AM
Your new status will give you unprecedented freedom in Auran society. While the Caele is highly unlikely to extend this to the embassy, the embassy will come to rely on you to further their agenda. I trust your judgement well enough to know what you can and cannot do to earn their trust. It shouldn't be enough that the puppets should willingly give you their strings, but they should give their master's strings to you as well. He pauses dramatically I think you know what to do from there. Don't worry, I will do what I can to protect you. The humans of Auran are able to destroy this creature, An Astartes an an Astartes Sorcerer... He trails off, leaving Thain to come to his own conclusions. Though it's pretty obvious what Sevanix was trying to get at. And the title is "Caele." Not a big deal, but I would be careful who you forget the ruler's title around.

Lycan 01
2012-01-11, 01:56 AM
"Whoops," Thain smirks. "Yes, I'll do my best not to allow another such slip up. And I trust you and our Space Wolf friend to keep me in one piece on this little quest. Now, I'm going to go try to dig up a bit of information..." he says with a smile and a nod.

Thain then walks back over towards the woman in red armor, stopping a short distance from her so that neither of them is too close for comfort. "I have a few questions, if you do not mind. What exactly are the traditional Auran items we will be so graciously gifted with? And this creature we are hunting... does it have any specific strengths or weaknesses that you are willing or allowed to share with us? Also... I don't believe I got your name. May I ask it, and what your role here is?" he asks with a charming smile.

Yes. Thain is subtly flirting with her. XD

Talkkno
2012-01-11, 02:31 AM
, Sevanix ,Sigurd, Thain
"My name is Alkedre Firstalker, Rylus's Sinsar, his second in command. You will be provided with a choice of a spear tipped with a fang of a Diablodon, a bone sword, or bow and arrows."

"You are quite bold I must admit, the Divested Hunt is usually done by no less then a dozen warriors at least. Facing the Diablodon in a direct assault is suicide, it isn't the most cunning of creatures however despite its strength, so it should prove easy enough to catch it in a trap." She stats bluntly, pointing one of the scales in her hair.

Cornelius

The shieldmaster is easy enough to find, a native points you to the War Grounds of the city.

As you arrive there, you see several dozen Auran warriors drill with lasguns, firing into distant targets, a large Auran holding a laspistol and red armor directing several of the warriors, helping them place their shots.

Lycan 01
2012-01-11, 02:48 AM
"Ah, excellent. And thank you, Sinsar Firstalker," Thain nods to her respectfully, keeping a charming smile on his face. "I appreciate your advice, which I will heed, and your compliment. I admit may not be the most strong or capable warrior, especially compared to my comrades here. But courage and cunning are two skills I've honed over the years, especially during my days in the Inquisition, hunting and fighting some of the worst threats to humanity..." he observes. While the Aurans probably frown on cunning and guile, he hopes that his remarks about facing the enemies of mankind will catch her interest.

Another attempt to get on her good side...

Talkkno
2012-01-11, 02:54 AM
Sevanix ,Sigurd, Thain

"I wish you luck, the Divested Hunt has been attempted for some time. I must ask you to remove any weapons and armor you may have, the ritual weapons will be provided once we reach the Reaving Canyons." She replies to Thain.

Lycan 01
2012-01-11, 03:03 AM
"Thank you, M'Lady. And I must say, it is an honor to be given such an opportunity," Thain states, bowing slightly to her and the Caele.

Taking a few steps back, he then shrugs off his cloak, which doubles as his mesh armor. He unstraps the network of holsters crisscrossing his torso, which hold his Inferno Pistol, the spare melta and las packs, his Power Knife, and the strange black blade he found earlier.

"That is everything," he states. "I am prepared to depart when needed."

Bowerbird
2012-01-11, 03:45 AM
Cornelius
Cornelius approaches the training field, taking stock of how well they fire these new weapons, as well as an eye on how well maintained they are. "Impressive handling of offworld technology. I assume you are drilling them extensively to make up for a lack of expertise in such strange weaponry?"

Talkkno
2012-01-11, 08:47 PM
Sevanix ,Sigurd, Thain

"Is everyone else ready to depart to the Reaving Canyons?" The Sinsar asks, looking at the two Space Marines.

Cornelius

Cornelius notes that the Auran warriors make for a strange sight, firing the lasguns, still dressed in traditional scale armor as they line up shots with their iron sights clumsily, but with a look of determination. The lasguns look to been roughly used, one of them clearly have been used recently to club someone, but given a lasgun's reliability, it is not surprising they still fire true.

"Indeed, who may you be offworlder?" The impoutu drill Sergent says in return.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-11, 10:15 PM
That is correct. I am always ready. Except when he is not.

Bowerbird
2012-01-12, 10:28 AM
Cornelius clears his throat, or at least the nearest approximation thereof, "My name is Cornelius. I am attached to a group of offworlders making diplomatic overtures. As we speak my companions are preparing for the "Divested Hunt" I believe it's called. I myself am admittedly not much of a warrior, so I leave it to them. However I had heard that there have been a rash of... "Incidents" lately, involving suspicious deaths? I was hoping to offer my services as a way of proving myself."

Talkkno
2012-01-12, 01:36 PM
Cornelius
"I've already investigated these "mysterious" deaths you Imperials keep raving about, its just you offworlders underestimated the local predators." He responds curtly.

Bowerbird
2012-01-13, 01:33 AM
Cornelius seems unsurprised, "People used to the pamper and squalor of the Imperium know little of the power of nature. Well it would not be the first time the Imperials have exaggerated something far in excess of reality. I am afraid I was not told very much. What exactly happened that would have those officious bureaucrats so worried?"

bluntpencil
2012-01-13, 02:44 PM
Sigurd is very obviously ready indeed.

"Well, gimme the biggest sword you've got, chief, and let's get at this, eh?"

Talkkno
2012-01-13, 04:13 PM
Sevanix ,Sigurd, Thain
"Best of luck warriors of Hakon." The Caele nods solemnly, as the Sinsar nods in turn as you begin the trek to the Reaving Canyons, she carries herself with confident ease and carries a banner of a golden warrior slaying the mighty Dailbodon ,as you make your way threw the city, scores of curious onlookers joining you on your journey threw the winding farmlands.

The entrance fissure is clearly marked by talismans of protection and splayed human skeletons that warn of the danger. Just past the threshold stands a weathered stone plinth with a selection of worn but reliable Auran weapons: the implements of the hunt.

"Steel is only as good as the man who wields it. Words are only as good as the man who gives them. You stand here today to be judged
not by your tribe’s name or your possessions, but by your skill and courage. Pick your weapons warriors of Hakon, and slay the Daiblodon and bring backs its head." She invokes solemnly as she stakes the banner over the stone plinth.

Pick one
Fang tipped Spear: Melee 1d10+2 Pen R 2
Bone Sword: Melee 1d10+1 Primitive(8) balanced Pen 1
Bows and Arrows Range 30M ROF S/-/- 1d10+2 Pen 1 Clip 1 RLD 1/2 Primitive(8) 20 arrows

Cornelius
"They were distributed that the bodies were just killed, not eaten, of course that means nothing, predators often hunt for simply the sake of it."

Lycan 01
2012-01-13, 04:57 PM
Thain strides forward and picks up the bow and arrows. Slinging the quiver onto his back, he nods solemnly to the others. "I am ready. May our actions bring glory to our Jarl, and to whichever gods we may serve," he states. His choice of words is purposeful; he wants to build camaraderie and unit cohesion with Sigurd, and specifically mentioning Chaos and excluding the Emperor would have shot that idea in the foot. Hopefully this will help to bridge the gap between them, and allow them to work better as a team on this mission.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-13, 05:50 PM
For Yarrel Hakon, For the Sons of Magnus, that Diablodon is already dead. All is dust. If there is only one of each, Sevanix will take the bone sword, because it is better for someone who can make better use of the clearly better weapon than for someone who probably won't even use it. Else he'll take a spear.

bluntpencil
2012-01-13, 07:23 PM
Sigurd grins, grabbing himself the spear, hefting it and testing its weight and balance.

"Let's get stompin', eh? Fer the Jarl!"

Talkkno
2012-01-14, 01:12 AM
Sevanix ,Sigurd, Thain
The Sinsar nods solemnly, as the scores of people that accompanied look at you with awe, as you embark to the Reaving Canyons.The terraced path is narrow as the group enter the network of canyons. Aurum’s lauded virility is obvious as you proceed. Grasses grow on sheer slabs of stone; climbing plants flourish as they cling to the rocky walls. A canopy of trees lining canyons’ summit mostly blocks the amber sky. Within that shade the vegetation is not tall but dense, and it rustles constantly with the movement of unseen creatures through it. Not long after the entrance disappears, muffled reptilian shrieks begin to echo through the lush maze, the calls of its many inhabitants. Even as the passage widens, it is still only wide enough to accommodate two Space Marines at its at a time.

The first area where the terrain differs is an open pit of high golden grasses. It is immediately evident that the area has residents. Wild theratryx, the reptilian bipeds that Aurans often use as mounts nest here. Clutches of eggs peek out of pebbled mounds at the centre and around the circumference of the uneven ring. The bright, scaly shoulders and heads of the parents are visible as they prowl through the grass. The path branches to the east and west on the other side of the nesting ground.

Lycan 01
2012-01-14, 01:26 AM
Thain looks over at Sevanix, and tilts his head slightly. "I don't suppose you have any sort of life-detecting powers at your disposal, do you?" he asks.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-14, 03:09 AM
Yes I do. I call it 'eye-sight.' He says in a jest. His attention focused on the reptiles. We can go around these. Just do not do anything that would suprise them. Noticing a fork in the path, Sevanix thinks to the possibility that there is a right and wrong path. The mechanical sorcerer scans the ground briefly for what he thinks might yield Diablomon tracks
[roll0]
target 45

Talkkno
2012-01-14, 04:56 AM
Sevanix
The sorcerer's augmented eyes scan the landscape for any sign of tracks, but fails to pick up anything resembling what the Sinsar drew into the sand, the herd of beasts most likely trampled all over what tracks their may have been.

bluntpencil
2012-01-14, 07:06 AM
Sigurd sniffs at the air, and narrows his eyes, looking for tracks, be it in the mud or in the air. The tracks he searches for could be either Diablodon or Homo Astartes...

As he does so, he speaks to Sevanix, revealing his uneasiness about something.

"Somethin's wrong, chief, eh? Back in the Caele's hall, I caught the scent of another Space Wolf. Yet, he ain't on the hunt, like the Caele said. An' he's keepin' quiet, too.

I reckon tha' Deathwatch marine that the Jarl spoke of is a Space Wolf, an' he's upta somethin'."

Rolling Survival, using Perception as the base stat. +10 from the skill, +10 from Heightened Senses.

[roll0] TN 60

Emperor Ing
2012-01-14, 12:28 PM
Wut? Sevanix says, confused. He is convinced he missed something, since this is all news to him. Of course Sigurd wasn't going to tell him about it because he probably assumed he got it as well, which in all likelihood is perfectly reasonable. Pardon me but I must have missed something. He shakes his head in frustration. So from the top: The Ordo Xenos felt it necessary to send a Space Marine from the Deathwatch to this world, as opposed to another, probably sturdier, Sister of Battle from the Ordo Hereticus. Hmm. This just got much more complicated.

Lycan 01
2012-01-14, 02:33 PM
Thain pales. "Wait, what? There's another Space Wolf here? Did you pick up any other Astartes scents?" he asks, concern and a slight tinge of panic evident in his voice. "Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Ordo Xenos involvement... Not something we need right now. Not something I need, since I've got that Imperial Embassy eating out of my hand..." he states, flashing a meek smirk. "The presence of real Inquisitorial agents, human or Astartes, could throw a serious wrench in my plans."

bluntpencil
2012-01-14, 04:55 PM
"The Jarl mentioned a single Deathwatch marine maybe bein' present, back on tha ship. I caught his scent, back in the Caele's house.

I didn't mention it... didn't want the Caele to knew I smelled my brother, eh? That's why I asked about the last folks goin' on the hunt. Wasn't him, but he had been in the hall.

Anyway, if they're sendin' Ordo Xeno or whatever, that's me thinkin' aliens about, aye? Especially seein' as my brother is not trying ta win the graces of the Caele with this Divested Hunt."

Sigurd has his suspicions about the Deathwatch marine, but leaves the information for the more erudite members of the team to ponder.

Talkkno
2012-01-14, 04:57 PM
Sigurd
The Space Wolf fails to detect anything matching those profiles., though given his unfamiliarity with the scent of the Daiblodon, is unsurprising.

Lycan 01
2012-01-14, 05:07 PM
Thain stands still for a moment, hand on his chin, pondering Sigurd's words. "Interesting. Perhaps they are investigating the murders under the suspicion it is Xenos activity. Strange that the Imperials did not mention this to me. I asked about Inquisitorial involvement, and the ranking officer claimed ignorance..." he muses.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-14, 07:19 PM
Prehaps they suspect. Prehaps their silence is coerced. Or prehaps they are ignorant as well. I think you are going to require some explanations.

Now then, which way should we go?

Lycan 01
2012-01-14, 07:29 PM
Thain shrugs. "Can't you melt things with your mind? Why not just fry them? The noise may attract the Diablodon, even. Or we could just try sneaking past them. Also, we could grab a few eggs, in case we need food later on during the hunt."

Emperor Ing
2012-01-14, 07:52 PM
While the power and energy of the warp, however infinitisimally small it is compared what is possible, is indeed mine to command, and the flesh of these creatures are to me as leaves against a blazing inferno, I think we can just walk past them with lesser risk. If you are hungry, you can taste-test the first thing that attacks us.

Lycan 01
2012-01-14, 08:02 PM
Thain stares at Sevanix for a moment, before quirking an eyebrow. "Are you insulting me?" He then smirks, and shakes his head. "No matter. I suppose I'll try to sneak past them first, since I'm harder to notice than you Astartes fellows," he quips. He then crouches low, and tries to sneak through the foliage past the avian creatures.

Stealth: [roll0] vs Ag 40

Talkkno
2012-01-15, 02:18 AM
Sevanix ,Sigurd, Thain

Thain heads across the fields stealthily, taking advantage of the tall grass, successfully making it across the field to the right path without any of the theratryx noticing.

Bowerbird
2012-01-15, 08:10 AM
Cornelius pulls his dataslate out of his pocket and starts writing away. "Interesting... Which of the planet's predators do you attribute the kills to at this time? And is the increase in predatory behaviour in any way unusual for this time of year?" The idea that the Shieldmaster may not wish to answer his questions doesn't seem to have occurred to him.

Talkkno
2012-01-15, 06:17 PM
Cornelius

"It's properly just one of the unruly theratryx's, we use them as mounts, but even at the best of the times, their rather temperamental." He remarks as he gives an aside to one his warriors, to breathe deeply before taking a shot.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-15, 07:52 PM
Although he is somewhat confident in his ability to simply walk by them, Sevanix decides not to take any chances. He takes to concealing himself in the tall grass as he moves to Thain's position.

Agility check to sneak by
[roll0]
target 40

Talkkno
2012-01-15, 08:11 PM
Sevanix ,Sigurd, Thain
Despite his bulky mechanical form, the sorcerer manages to pass by the creatures undetected, managing to end up on the right path along aside Thain.

bluntpencil
2012-01-15, 10:55 PM
Sigurd licks a finger and raises it to the air, sniffing as he does so. He then attempts to get downwind of the creatures and move around, not terribly stealthily, but under the assumption that they might rely on scent.

[roll0] TN 43 Survival