PDA

View Full Version : Seekers of the Lost Plot

Circle of Life
2011-12-17, 10:06 PM
"Ohhh sweet Io, I am never drinking whatever that was again..."

Smacking her lips in a vain attempt to clear the taste from her mouth, Fiddle opens her eyes, then squeezes them shut again when the glare of a brilliant white light above sets drums to pounding inside her head. "Ugh... what in the world...?"

Cracking open one eye, she scans her surroundings, then groans loudly and puts her head back against the floor, cushioned by her sprawling braid. Little more than twenty feet to a side, the stark white room is completely featureless save for the faint outline of a sliding door in one wall, a note tacked to the wall just beside the door, and... a statue. A metal statue. A metal statue laying on the floor, just like her. Interesting.

"Hey... you..." Fiddle groans the words, pushing herself to her feet, checking to see that all of her tan and violet veils are in place around her hips and chest. "I'd bet every last sober thought in my head right now that you're one of those... whatchamacallits... 'forged? Right? You got a name? Mine's Fidelina, but everyone calls me Fiddle on account of my talent." She pauses to scoop up a fiddle and bow from the ground, then plays three screeching notes before grimacing and raising a hand to her forehead. "Well, they call me Fiddle, anyway. How about you?" A sudden thought takes her, and she nudges the heap of metal with a toe. "Are you, uh... alive?"

RaggedAngel
2011-12-17, 10:15 PM
Fist turns his head slightly, looking at the organic with both amazement and confusion. He opened his mouth, closed it, and then opened it again, finally managing words. "I don't know if I've ever been alive, actually, but I'm still functional, which is more than I'm willing to say about you." He stands up heavily, his adamantine plates clinking slightly, grunting. "Did you know that warforged can get headaches? I didn't think that we could, but then I woke up just now, and I have this beautiful pain in the middle of my head. Anyway, I'm rambling, possibly because of pain and fear." He extends his hand, a massive adamantine fist bigger than most orc's. "The name is Fist. I'm a devout worshiper of the church of Punching Things. We're an old and noble faith, and I'm quickly climbing the ranks of our clergy. Would you like to worship with me on our way out of here?"

Circle of Life
2011-12-17, 10:24 PM
"If it means the two of us working together, then I'll pray to whatever you want me to, Fist. 'sides, I'm pretty sure Io wouldn't care... he's really more of an idea than a god that does stuff, y'know?" Fiddle places her own small hand in Fist's, stares at it for a moment, then settles on shaking one of his massive fingers with her entire hand.

"Right, first things first: getting ourselves out of here..." She strides to the door, places both palms against it, and heaves as hard as she can to the right.

Nothing happens.

She heaves to the left, thin arms trembling with the strain.

Nothing happens.

"Uhhh... phew! I think I felt it move a little bit that last time, but it feels like the whole thing is made out of lead! I can't do this by myself; you mind giving me a hand?"

RaggedAngel
2011-12-17, 10:28 PM
Fist looks at Fiddle in a way that seems to magically convey the impression of a raised eyebrow. If she pauses to think about it, she'll have no idea how he did it. "I think you should just let me do it, but sure, I'll 'help' you, scrawny." He moves to the door with a grin. "Now then, let me show you how a champion of Punching Things get's the job done." He hunkers down and begins to push against the door with all of his might, the darkwood of his form creaking and straining.

Take 10 on a Strength check for 15. Then, assuming that fails, [roll0].

If that fails, he'll take 20 for a 25.

If that fails, he'll use Mountain Hammer, but I want to see how his strength does first.

Circle of Life
2011-12-17, 10:44 PM
The slab of lead shifts visibly, then settles into place about an inch to the left of its former position. Fiddle shrugs and steps out of the way, allowing Fist a better angle on the door. While he struggles against the slab, Fiddle takes note of the, well, note.

Reading was never Fiddle's strong suit, and her mouth makes several curious shapes as she sounds out each of the words on the parchment. Finally she has the thing deciphered, and begins aloud:

" 'Greeting and salutations brave adventurers! Be welcome to the Gauntlet of Horrors, a sheer mile of mayhem, monsters, and really ugly people that you'd wish were monsters but were just hit more than their fair share with the Ugly Stick at birth!' ... well, that's harsh..." Fiddle's tone at the end makes it unclear whether she means the gauntlet itself or the insult. "Oh, wait, there's a little more, hold on..."

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK

The door shifts with a horrible grinding screech, making Fiddle look up with a vexed expression. " 'P.S. You can leave at any time before you open the first door by going back to sleep.' Well, that's just fantastic."

Beyond the door is a thirty foot wide, hundred foot long corridor filled with weak shadows. A thick, black liquid drips from the ceiling to the floor, yet never makes any noise as it strikes the tiles, and the tiny puddles of liquid seem to constantly disappear whenever not being directly observed. Another door identical to the one just opened marks the end of the hall, though this one is slightly ajar, revealing a thin line of yellow light.

"Well... forward, I guess?" Fiddle says, then immediately contradicts herself by stepping back behind Fist.

RaggedAngel
2011-12-17, 10:54 PM
Fist shrugs. "I physically cannot sleep, and I don't really feel like letting you beat me into subconciousness. Besides, this can be fun. It's been almost seventy hours since I've killed someone, and the twelve fights I've been in since then just haven't done it for me." He grins at her again, but it doesn't seem like he's joking. "Now then, I don't have any ability to find traps, nor the patience to do so. You look like you might make things worse if you tried. So, I'm going to use what I like to call the "old-fashioned" trapfinding method."

Fist then proceeds to charge down the hallway as quickly as he can, his greatsword raised and his body glimmering with faint divine power. He isn't screaming a warcry, but you can tell that he wants to.

He's in Iron Guard's Glare stance, and he will be until he needs to start healing more. Everyone takes a -4 penalty to attacking Fiddle as long as he threatens them.

His readied maneuvers are:
1. Mountain Hammer
2. Battle Leader's Charge
3. Revitilizing Strike
4. White Raven Tactics
5. Divine Surge

I consider Devoted Spirit/White Raven Crusaders just about the most fun characters to buddy up with. I look forward to seeing what Fiddle can do when I'm drawing all the fire.

Circle of Life
2011-12-17, 11:08 PM
"Uh, whoa, hey, canyouslowdownalittlebit - EEEEK! Oh gods, I think I stepped in something..."

Despite her protestations, Fiddle manages to keep up with Fist, if only just, each step something of a graceful lunge as she tries to avoid as many of the puddles as she can. Fist, uncaring, splashes through, the black liquid disappearing in midair as his feet send it flying.

Suddenly, five much, much larger shapes drop from the ceiling, each made from the same black liquid. The five shapes resolve into crude approximations of living creatures, three pitch-black wolves and two mannequin-like humans, all limbs and joints with no muscle mass or any distinguishing features. All five of the shapes are completely, unnaturally silent.

"...Oh sweet Io." Fiddle squeaks.

Instead of making maps each time, I'm going to use this! (http://celestine-empire.hostzi.com/Battlegrid/board.php?sessionID=Halls1) Just be sure to refresh the link whenever your turn comes around.

Fiddle initiative: [roll0]
Fist initiative: [roll1]

Black things initiative (average): [roll2]

Circle of Life
2011-12-17, 11:14 PM
Sliding forward with strange, undulating motions, the wolves close in on Fist, lunging toward him with bared obsidian teeth, all in utter silence. Meanwhile, the mannequins each make a jerky throwing motion, hurling a blot of liquid blackness, one at Fiddle, the other at Fist.

W1: [roll0] for [roll1] bite damage.
W2: [roll2] for [roll3] bite damage.
W3: [roll4] for [roll5] bite damage.

M1: RTA on Fist: [roll6] for [roll7] untyped damage and something he's immune to.
M2: RTA on Fiddle: [roll8] for [roll9] and a fort save if it hits: [roll10]

RaggedAngel
2011-12-17, 11:19 PM
Fist takes 14 damage from the bite, thanks to his DR; 10 of that moves into his Delayed Damage pool, and the other 4 actually hurts him.

The ranged touch attack (I'm guessing Eldritch Blast) hits and deals 16 damage, none of which is prevented. Huzzah!

Statblock:
Fist (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=354076)
Chaotic Neutral Warforged Crusader, Level 7, Init +1, HP 58/78, DR 2/adamantine, Speed 20ft,
AC 22, Touch 11, Flat-footed 21, Fort +10, Ref +3, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus +7/+2
+1 Devoted Spirit Greatsword +16/+11 (2d6+8, 19-20/x2)
+1 Adamantine Plating, +1 Buckler (+9 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 20, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12
Condition None
Maneuvers:
1. Mountain Hammer
3. Revitilizing Strike
4. White Raven Tactics
5. Divine Surge
Granted: [roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

My next post will contain his attacks and such. :smallcool:

RaggedAngel
2011-12-17, 11:27 PM
Fist begins to laugh, loudly and happily. He raises his sword high, bringing it down on one of the shadow wolves with a ringing clap of bladed pain. "You're saying that I can kill as many of these things as I want, and there are absolutely no repercussions? And they can actually kill me? And I have a witness?! It's like I suddenly had a birthday, and then it decided to come early!"

He'll use Stone Power to give himself -5 to hit and 10 temporary hit points for the turn, which will absorb the 10 points of damage he received last turn.

He's attacking W1 with Mountain Hammer, so it'll ignore DR.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]

Then he'll use his Swift Action to use White Raven Tactics on himself, if that's okay with you. I'm going to operate under the "he's his own ally, but he can only use it once on each ally" reading of the maneuver.

New Maneuver: [roll3]
1. Battle Leader's Charge
2. Revitilizing Strike

His next turn in the post after this one.

RaggedAngel
2011-12-17, 11:33 PM
Fist lets out a might shout, and with a surge of questionable power he inspires himself well enough that he continues his assault, despite the illogic in that fact. His next attack is even more devastating than the one before it, and his sword cuts into the shadow wolf like a sword might if it were cutting through a wolf made out of shadows.

...the Church of Punching Things (and Breaking Stuff) disapproves of metaphors.

He'll attack the same wolf if it's alive, or W2 if it isn't, with Divine Surge.

...this should be good. His move action depends on what dies. He'll be granted Revitalizing Strike at the end of the turn.

Circle of Life
2011-12-17, 11:42 PM
Fist's first attack cleaves straight through the wolf, leaving it standing in two liquid halves. Despite this mild inconvenience, it continues to bare its teeth at him in a crouching stance that would speak of vicious snarls in a living wolf. The second swing bisects the wolf from snout to tailtip, sending blobs of glistening black splattering in a wide arc.

Suddenly deathly serious, Fiddle sets her feet firmly beneath her, takes a deep breath, then rises onto the balls of her feet and begins to dance. Each step is placed just so, yet with no sign of thought or hesitation. Her movements have a grace and fluidity unrivaled by other dancers, for in truth she is not just dancing. Each step, each twist of the waist or flick of a hand streaming a violet veil behind it, brings the universe slightly more into line with how she thinks it should be.

And then she begins to sing.

Come now fools into the four-paw's den,
come meet your doom by jaws of fire.
Come seek the slayer of lads and men,
come find death by the Bitch Queen's ire!

The words fade, but an echo remains in the hall. Suddenly her silk veils are alight with blazing fire, all crimson and gold, the flames never touching her skin or singing the fabric. Indeed, the tongues of fire seem to reach out toward the liquid creatures, longing to strike down her enemies. She obliges them.

With a quick, twirling step away from Fist, she closes with one of the mannequins, then hurls a handful of veil toward it. The fabric shimmers as it leaves her hands, a paper-thin edge of the silk becoming a razor sharp spearhead. The veil strikes true, punching a burning hole through the chest of the inky creature, and suddenly the echo in the hall increases, and with it, the fire, which crackles with unspent energy. A quick tug brings the once-more silk length back into her hand, and she twirls on in her mystic dance, shouting over her shoulder to Fist as she spins and spins.

"Strike while they are distracted! It will not last long!"

Swift action to use Dragonfire inspiration for +2d6 fire damage to each hit, due to the Magical Melody stance that Fiddle always maintains outside of combat.

Move action to begin a Distracting Dance, ending Magical Melody and granting the effects of the Crack of the Whip stance while the dance continues. Distracting Dance lowers the AC, attack rolls, saving throws, and DR of all creatures that can percieve Fiddle by 2.

Round 1 of the dance offers the Augment Anapest strike, while round 2 offers Healing Haiku.

Begin a Snowflake Wardance as a free action.

5-ft step to H-5, Augment Anapest on M1: [roll0] for [roll1] + [roll2] fire + [roll3] untyped from vicious. If the attack hits, Fiddle takes [roll4] backlash from the vicious. If the attack hits, the damage from DFI increases to 3d6 for its duration.

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 12:00 AM
The remaining wolves continue their assault on Fist, snapping at any bits of exposed darkwood. The two mannequins hurl more blobs of inky black at Fiddle and Fist, the one with the hole punched clean through its chest first taking a step back.

W2: [roll0] for [roll1]
W3: [roll2] for [roll3]

M1 on Fiddle: [roll4] RTA for [roll5] plus a Fort save: [roll6]

M2 on Fist: [roll7] RTA for [roll8]

Edit: Lower all attack rolls by 2.

RaggedAngel
2011-12-18, 12:25 AM
Fist shifts his footwork, and with that small change comes an alteration in the power around his body. The divine energy changes from a disrupting force to a soothing presence, and each blow that lands heals a bit of his wounds. He lashes out at the northernmost wolf with a glowing blade of supernatural power, and though his strength is slightly blunted by the fortifying force of the stone beneath him his aim is clean and true. His blade burns with unnatural flames, and he grins even further at the sight of them. "I could get used to this, Fiddle! Just let me know if you need healing or something, and we'll be good!" He then shifts his position, moving closer to Fiddle and away from the wolves.

Stone Power for 4, and my Delayed Pool is at 8. It'll all be blocked by the Temp HP.

Revitalizing Strike:

He heals for [roll3] + 9 if he hits.

He shifts to G5.

New Maneuvers:
1. Mountain Hammer
3. Revitilizing Strike
4. White Raven Tactics
5. Divine Surge
[roll4] [roll5] [roll6]

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 12:38 AM
Fiddle doesn't answer, just carries on with her twirling dance. With a particularly powerful step she sends herself spinning through the air toward her quarry, veils a whirlwind of purple and cream spinning all around her. Mid-spin she hurls a length of veil toward the mannequin, the edge of the curving silk hardening into a serpentine blade for the span of time it takes to pass through the liquid form, slashing from shoulder to hip. As she lands, the echo in the hall takes on a decidedly divine note, and the universe seems to feel a little more right.

Move to J-5, Healing Haiku on M1. If it hits, we'll split (Perform: Oratory: [roll0]) points of healing... not that we need it, I think, but it would be wasted otherwise. Edit: Heals the backlash damage, anyhow.

[roll1] for [roll2] + [roll3] fire + [roll4] untyped and [roll5] backlash if it hits.

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 12:41 AM
The inky mannequin drops in two halves, which instantly dissolve into a pool of shimmering black.

The remaining wolf continues its single-minded attack on Fist, while the last mannequin hurls another jet black sphere at Fiddle.

[roll0] for [roll1] bite damage.

[roll2] RTA for [roll3] damage and a fort save: [roll4]

RaggedAngel
2011-12-18, 12:49 AM
Fist swings his blade almost contemptuously, bringing the edge down on the inky wolf with astounding power and speed. His body surges with divine power, and his blade carries through to the ground, colliding with a resounding clap of force. Fortifying strength surges up from the ground beneath him even as his own impetus heals him, and all the while he is surrounded in mad, crackling, cackling flames. The wolf explodes in a violent spray of inky darkness, showing the room. It's beautiful.

Divine Surge, Stone Power for 5. He'll take 1 point of damage from the bite, which will heal if he hits.

Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] + [roll3]

If it dies, he moves to J8.

New Maneuver:
1. Revitilizing Strike
2. White Raven Tactics
[roll4]

RaggedAngel
2011-12-18, 12:50 AM
Ha. Ha ha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA.

Crit confirmation:[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Playia would be proud.

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 12:56 AM
The last wolf explodes, blobs of black flying from the point of impact with such speed that they form a thin grey mist on the walls before shimmering and disappearing.

"Gods above..." Fiddle breathes, pausing briefly to examine the carnage. "Remind me not to get on your bad side."

With that, she hurls herself through the air again, toward the last remaining foe. She strikes out again, but her dance seems to have lost some of its magic already, and the attack is little more than a simple lance of hardened silk piercing the shoulder of the creature.

[roll0] for [roll1] + [roll2] + [roll3] and [roll4] backlash.

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 01:10 AM
The mannequin staggers backward and raises its hand to throw again, but Fiddle lashes out with an underhand throw, the edge of the veil hardening into a sickle blade that loops around the creature's neck, then is pulled clean through. The creature dissolves into a nigrescent puddle before its knees can even buckle.

"Well... well then..." Fiddle says, looking around and breathing hard. "I certainly picked good company, didn't I?"

AoO: [roll0] for [roll1] + [roll2] + [roll3] and [roll4] backlash.

If that fails to do a point of damage, Fist gets an RTA: [roll5] for [roll6]

Edit: Not confirming that. It's dead, Jim.

Fiddle is fatigued for 10 minutes after the Snowflake Wardance.

RaggedAngel
2011-12-18, 01:19 AM
Fist glances around for more things to kill, and he's pretty disappointed when there aren't any. He turns to Fiddle, cleaning off his blade with a very old and dirty rag. "You better believe it, fleshy! I haven't had that much fun killing things since about a month ago. Man, but are orphans full of blood." He looks around the room, pacing a bit as he talks. For a living construct with no adrenaline glands he seems a bit overly excited, but the thrill of a fight can do that to anyone. "Let me know when your weak and flawed biological systems are ready to keep going. Oh, and what was that fire made out of? I'm pretty sure it was magic, since it didn't hurt me at all, but it seemed a lot more fun than a wizard's."

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 01:28 AM
Fiddle sinks into a half-crouch slumped against a wall, breathing hard. For a dance that lasted only moments, it seems to have really taken a lot out of her.

"Magic?" she asks, drawing the word out as if examining it. "I suppose it must be, but I've never really thought about it like that. It's just always been there, ever since I learned to sing, just like how I know how to dance in a way that makes things happen. I don't ever think about it, I just know... you know? It's easier when I'm in danger, or if I have to protect someone, but I could call the fire while putting on a show for coin if I really wanted to. It's just... part of who I am, like breathing."

Some time passes while Fiddle sucks air and massages knotted muscles, murmuring about the limits of human bodies and how nice it must be to have metal joints sometimes, then she stands and readies herself to continue on. "Whenever you're ready," she says, indicating the door at the end of the hall. "Unless you want me to try this one myself."

RaggedAngel
2011-12-18, 01:35 AM
Fist proverbially rolls his eyes before walking up to the door, noting that it's already open, then stomp-kicking it open anyway. He shouts into the room with altogether too much volume and gusto, his bulk occupying the doorway and concealing Fiddle from sight. "Hey, uglies! I'm coming through, and I thought I'd let you know that I only know how to do two things: kill people who deserve it, and kill people who don't." He pauses for a moment, letting the message sink in. "The point is, I'm going to kill you. Now, let's do this." He strolls into the room, whistling a jaunty tune.

Intimidate like a boss: [roll0]

He's in Iron Guard's Glare, so he's a big shiny target.

Maneuvers for the presumed combat:
New Maneuvers:
1. Mountain Hammer
3. Revitilizing Strike
4. White Raven Tactics
5. Divine Surge
[roll1] [roll2] [roll3]

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 01:48 AM
Two little creatures sit on stools in the middle of the room, appearing to all the world like a gnome and a halfling. They look up from the board laid out on the table between them, allowing half a second of stunned surprise before grinning widely.

"Fascinating." they say together, and for the first time Fist sees that they are not what first appearances would suggest. The eyes of the "gnome" glow with a brilliant golden radiance, while the "halfling" has twin orbs of swirling purple-black mist where his own eyes should be. Neither one seems to carry any weapon nor wear armor of any variety, but they appear wholly unconcerned at the lack.

Initiative:

"Halfling": [roll0]
"Gnome": [roll1]
Fist: [roll2]
Fiddle: [roll3]

Map: Click. (http://celestine-empire.hostzi.com/Battlegrid/board.php?sessionID=Chess)

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 01:52 AM
"So nice of you to come to play, to play!" The halfling exclaims, voice shrill with glee. "Now here forever you will stay, will stay!"

Abruptly the door slams shut behind you, and a shimmering, crystalline barrier springs into being inches away from the closest edge of the table, running the entire width of the room from floor to ceiling.

"The first move is always best used defensively." The gnome agrees, nodding thoughtfully at the board between the two. "But what comes next? Hmmm... so many choices..."

Edit: Changed the yellow to something less blinding.

RaggedAngel
2011-12-18, 02:01 AM
Fist raises his sword, his eyes dark and angry. "If I was a warblade I'd Iron Heart Surge away the fact that you are the creepiest damn thing I've ever seen. I'm going to kill you so hard it'll bring some of those orphans back to life, then kill them again." He charges the barrier, either hoping that it'll turn out to be an illusion or simply apathetic one way or another as to what it truly is. As he runs, he turns to Fiddle and shouts, his words filled with a strange surge of activity. "Hey, twinkletoes! Look lively!"

He charges the barrier and attacks either the barrier itself or the table behind it, if he can get through. You heard me. The table.

Stone Power for 5.

White Raven Tactics on Fiddle. She acts right after him, now and forever.

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 02:07 AM
The two creatures laugh riotously as Fist's attack is deflected harmlessly down the crystal barrier, leaving nothing but a long scratch in the otherwise clear surface.

"Twinkletoes?" Fiddle grumbles, but steps after Fist hastily, though she doesn't quite catch up with him before settling herself into a wary position.

The barrier has at least twelve points of hardness.

Fiddle readies an action to attack anything that shows up.

Variable for next post: [roll0]

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 02:15 AM
"Ah, the mage, of course. An obvious choice once I think about it."

Abruptly the gnome snatches a clear crystal playing piece from the board and hurls it outward. Instead of smashing into the barrier, the figurine passes through, growing in size as it tumbles almost in slow-motion through the thick crystal, arcing upward.

The figurine passes through the barrier, and suddenly it is a figurine no more, but a life-sized version of the same. An elegant female with long, curling tresses and robes in three layers, all flowing as easily as water and all just as clearly made from solid crystal floats some distance above the floor, regarding Fist and Fiddle with a contemptuous sneer.

"The Mage to open, her fire to burn, to burn! The halfling laughs maniacally as he watches the crystal mage, snatching up a piece off the table at random.

The "mage" appears at G-4 +15 elevation.

Variable for next turn: [roll0]

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 02:22 AM
"The foot, in whose numbers you will drown, will drown!" the halfling practically shrieks, hurling the ebony figurine toward the barrier. As it passes through, it splits into three separate forms, each resolving into that of a knight all in a brown so dark as to be nearly black. Each of the knights carries a longsword and a massive shield, and wears what seems to be plate armor of the same dark crystal, complete with helm and slitted visor.

"The Foot and the Mage, a strong pairing. But what will be added next?" the gnome muses, rubbing a thumb across his chin as he looks at the board.

RaggedAngel
2011-12-18, 02:25 AM
I'm going to assume it's my go now. Let's do this thing.

His new manuever, which I forgot to roll:

2. Divine Surge

[roll0]

RaggedAngel
2011-12-18, 02:29 AM
Fist makes a snap decision, twisting his body and his blade towards the stone soldiers, his laughter beginning to warm itself up. "Like takes like! Keep the mage off of me, I can handle these things!" He charges forward, his blade beginning to shimmer with gleaming power, his body overflowing with power and strength. He slams into the line of soldiers like an adamantine cannonball, and the impact makes a noise loud enough to hurt.

Battle Leader's Charge the lead soldier, moving to G9 (just enough room to charge, yay).

I like how that bonus works out. Oh, and his AC is down 2 this turn.

He is granted Divine Surge.

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 02:52 AM
"You mistake yourself if you take me for a mage," Fiddle laughs, closing with the crystal woman. As she walks, he steps quicken into the fluid, graceful strides of a dance; by the time she reaches the woman, she is a whirling blur of violet and cream, her black braid a dark streak as she spins and leaps. "Still, perhaps there is something I can do." She strikes out with a veil, but instead of sharpening to a blade's edge, the veil seems to wrap itself about the woman's ankles with a mind of its own.

Fiddle yanks on the veil, and the crystal woman arcs through the air much, much more forcefully than she should with such a simple tug. She crashes into the ground at Fist's feet, deep fractures running through her body from head to toe, bits of glittering crystal spread across the ground in a small shockwave from her impact.

I assume you meant G-10. I accidentally hit update with an incorrect placement on the knights originally, but it shouldn't change much.

Free action to begin a Snowflake Wardance. Move action to begin the Heartflame Dance, which grants Fiddle a +5 bonus to attack and damage rolls, and Fist a +1 bonus to the same. While in this dance, her first maneuever is Comet Throw, and her second is Augment Anapest.

Comet Throw on the mage: [roll0] touch attack, then opposed trip: [roll1] vs [roll2]

Potential falling damage: [roll3]

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 02:56 AM
Mage-chick is about to provoke an AoO from Fist on the coming turn. Take it if you like.

RaggedAngel
2011-12-18, 02:58 AM
Fist blinks as the woman soars toward him. "I retract my previous statement. You're way more kick-ass than any mage." He swings his blade as hard as he can, attempting to intercept the woman as she provides him with an opening.

Crap, I timed that incorrectly. Anyway, here's his AoO:

Attack: [roll0] (does the charging bonus still apply? -2 if not.)

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 06:16 PM
The crystalline mage stands, and though Fist's attack shears off an entire arm and most of a shoulder, she appears entirely unconcerned with the injury. Raising her remaining arm high, she conjures a spinning disk of fire that grows larger and larger above her outstretched fingers, then hurls it at Fiddle.

The pair behind the barrier do not stop either; the gnome hurls another figurine at the barrier, and as it passes through, it resolves into a clear crystal man some seven feet tall, bare to the waist and even that covered only by a loincloth, entire body seeming to be made entirely of bulging crystal muscle. Deep scars mar the otherwise pristine glasslike surface of the man, one particularly long one slashed vertically from forehead to cheek over one eye. The man lands with a loud thump, brandishing an almost impossibly large sword in both hands.

"The Champion at last, to maim and kill, maim and kill!" the halfling shrieks, snatching up a piece from the board.

RTA: [roll0] on Fiddle for [roll1] fire damage

Champion appears in J-2.

Variable for next turn: [roll2]

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 06:22 PM
The halfling hurls his playing piece through the barrier, which resolves into an identical version of the clear Mage already taking place in the battle, save that this one lacks any damage and is formed from the same brown-black crystal as the knights.

The knights themselves maneuver cautiously around Fist, taking wary, unpracticed stabs at him.

"The twin Mages combined/Fire to kill and Ice to bind" the Gnome muses, sounding as if he is repeating a bit of a chant from a child's game. "But what is next I wonder?"

K1: [roll0] for [roll1] slashing
K2: [roll2] for [roll3] slashing
K3: [roll4] for [roll5] slashing

The second mage appears at +15 elevation.

Variable for next turn: [roll6]

RaggedAngel
2011-12-18, 11:28 PM
Fist begins to let off surges of blazing light, and the power flows into his blade until it's almost painful to look at. He either dodges the blows of the knights or simply allows them to bounce harmlessly off of his thick plating."You are all terrible at punching things with your swords. Allow me to teach you to worship."

He then proceeds to punch the mage next to him hard enough to make the tarrasque flinch. Punch her. With his sword.

Divine Surge is astoundingly overpowered for its level, but I find myself gleeful at this fact right now:

New Maneuvers:
1. Mountain Hammer
3. Revitilizing Strike
4. White Raven Tactics
5. Divine Surge
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 11:53 PM
Fist smashes through the crystal mage as easily as if she were made of spun glass, rather than solid crystal. A spray of glittering fragments spreads across the room, bouncing off floor and ceiling before coming to rest in a roughly half-moon wave of shrapnel. At the same moment, a large crack appears in the left half of the wall, running from floor to ceiling.

Pausing mid-spin, Fiddle looks around at the scene. "This isn't right... no, no, the steps are all wrong!" she mutters under her breath. Setting her eyes on the distant champion, she begins again, a passionate dance of leaping spins and tumbling twirls. There is a magic to her movement, moreso than before, each step in the fluid routine seeming to evoke the heat of emotions - lust and fury, inextricably entwined yet clearly separate.

The roaring fire flares to life along her veils and Fist's blade once more, drawn forth by dance rather than song. Every step a blur of spinning veils of fire, she dances to meet the crystal champion, jaw set determinedly. Her veil lashes out, a streaking line of fire racing toward the glasslike neck of the champion.

Hoblurgh, mixing dancing and bardic effects is confusing. I had to go back and reread it a few times to make sure I had this right. Okay, so she's starting up the Distracting Dance, but she's using Dragonfire Inspiration instead of its normal effects. I assume you can dance two dances at once, since it doesn't say anything about it.

Both Distracting Dance and Heartflame Dance offer Augment Anapest on this round, so there's no choice to be made really. Same deal as usual, +2d6 fire from DFI unless she hits with AA, in which case it increases to 3d6.

Whip on champion: [roll0] for [roll1] + [roll2] fire + [roll3] and [roll4] backlash.

Circle of Life
2011-12-18, 11:59 PM
"Ah, of course, the Castle Walls..." The gnome murmurs, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. "Divide and conquer. The oldest stratagem in the game." He hurls his chosen piece at the wall, but instead of passing through, it dissolves almost instantly as it strikes the crystal surface. A deep rumbling reverberates through the room, and suddenly another clear crystal wall, some fifteen feet high, rises from the floor to neatly bisect the room.

Circle of Life
2011-12-19, 12:09 AM
"The Priest with powers from the Abyss below, he comes to take your very soul!" the Halfling screams, his mouth a rictus grin as he hurls his chosen piece at the wall. As it passes through, it expands into the shape of a man in stately robes with a high, pointed hat, carrying a staff topped with a large claw, all in the same dark crystal as the knights and the remaining mage.

The mage raises her hands high, and a huge sphere of swirling blue-black mist grows between them. With a creak of crystal joints, she hurls the mass at Fist forcefully enough to bend herself double. Not hesitating, the knights continue their cautious assault on Fist, prodding for any weakness.

On the other side of the wall, the champion charges toward Fiddle, blade raised overhead. As he nears, she lashes out with a veil, which slides sinuously around his legs. She yanks on the veil, and the crystal behemoth flies head over heels backwards to land facedown on the floor.

"Um, I think I can take this one myself, but are you okay over there?" Fiddle asks, settling the veil back into place as she continues her mystic dance.

K1: [roll0] for [roll1]
K2: [roll2] for [roll3]
K3: [roll4] for [roll5]

RTA on Fist: [roll6] for [roll7] cold damage

Champion provokes an AoO from Fiddle due to her Snake Dance, so here's a trip attempt: [roll8] MTA, then trip: [roll9] and opposed str: [roll10]

If that fails, charging greatsword o' doom: [roll11] for [roll12]

Circle of Life
2011-12-19, 12:13 AM
Longsword crit confirm: [roll0] for [roll1] and Fist's light fort: [roll2] 1-25 negates.

To be clear, I forgot to take the Champion's turn on time. The clear ones act on the Gnome's initiative, and the dark ones on the Halfling's.

RaggedAngel
2011-12-19, 12:35 AM
Fist begins to laugh, his blade cleaving through the soldiers like they're candy, pounding into them again and again. He attacks the soldier blocking his path to the priest with a surge of dangerous strikes, each attack pounding a violent rhythm into the stone soldier. "I'm not sure how I'm going to kill the flyer, but I'll find a way! The rest are trash!" He finishes his assault with a powerful slam, throwing his now-flaming body into the fray.

Full attack K2, Stone Power for 5. He heals for 2 every time he hits. He ended up taking 9 damage last turn if you take the Stone Power temp hp into account.

Attack 1: [roll0]

Attack 2: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] + [roll5]

Slam: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7] + [roll8]

Then a 5-foot step to H9.

He then uses White Raven Tactics to grant himself another turn right after himself. If K2 falls before his attacks finish he'll attack K1 some.

New Maneuver:
2. Divine Surge
[roll9]

Circle of Life
2011-12-19, 12:37 AM
K2 dies on the second hit, but the slam misses K1 by a mile.

RaggedAngel
2011-12-19, 12:39 AM
Fist then turns his attention to the priest, not wanting to give the potential spellcaster time to work his magic. He charges towards the stone sage, his body picking up more gleaming light as he builds up speed, and his roar of defiance and bloodlust fills the room. He collides with the statue at his maximum speed, and it doesn't seem like it matters to him whether he actually hits or not.

Battle Leader's Charge:

He's granted Divine Surge.

Your go!

Circle of Life
2011-12-19, 12:48 AM
Fist collides with the priest, shattering entire sections out of the thing's body and leaving it with only a thin scrap of torso connecting its upper and lower body.

"Okay, if you're sure!" Fiddle calls back as she spins on, striking out at the fallen champion with a scythe-bladed veil. "Shout if you need help though, I think I can cross the wall without much trouble!"

Healing Hymn on the champion: [roll0] for [roll1] + [roll2] fire + [roll3] vicious and [roll4] backlash.

If the attack hits, we split (Perform: Oratory:)[roll5] points of healing.

Circle of Life
2011-12-19, 12:54 AM
"Hmm...Yes, the Foot I think," the Gnome says softly, hurling a figurine at the wall, which splits and expands into three identical clear crystal knights. "After all, what is a champion with no army to lead?"

At those words, the champion tries to rise, but Fiddle takes the opportunity to lash out with another slicing, flaming veil. The veil shears off most of the thing's head and a considerable portion of its muscled back, but that seems to inconvenience it not at all as it closes with her, blade raised threateningly before it.

Knights appear, champion stands up provoking an AoO...

[roll0] for [roll1] + [roll2] fire + [roll3] vicious and [roll4] backlash.

... and doesn't die, and so closes with Fiddle.

Circle of Life
2011-12-19, 01:07 AM
"The champion again, your life his plaything! Your last moments draw nigh!" The Halfling practically falls from his seat as he both shrieks and cackles at the same time, crazed grin never once faltering. He hurls his chosen figurine, and it resolves into a brown-black duplicate of the crystalline monstrosity menacing Fiddle.

As the second champion touches down on the floor, the priest swipes his claw-tipped staff at Fist, while the mage hurls another bolt of swirling blue-black and the remaining knights on that side of the wall both charge headlong toward their foe.

MTA on Fist: [roll0] if it hits, he takes [roll1] damage and the priest is healed for an equal amount.

RTA on Fist: [roll2] for [roll3] cold damage.

K1 charge: [roll4] for [roll5] slashing
K3 charge: [roll6] for [roll7] slashing

RaggedAngel
2011-12-19, 06:49 PM
I'm really, really sorry about falling asleep last night. I meant to send you a message that I was getting tired, and then I realized that it was 4:30 and I had fallen asleep on my wrist pad.

So, yeah. *apologyhug*

Fist takes his hits and shrugs them off like they weren't there, his rage building into another overwhelming surge of divine strength. He strikes down the priest with a thunderclap of power, and then he shifts his position, turning to look at the 'halfling' and the 'gnome'. "I am the champion of pain, the vanguard of destruction, and the crusader of punching-your-creepy-ass-teeth-in. Prepare to have your creepy-ass teeth punched in."

He takes 8, and 10 points go into his delayed damage pool. The priest misses.

Divine Surge, Stone Power for 5: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] + [roll3]

Boom. EDIT- Maybe; an 18 might not hit.

5 ft. step to L10; he's putting his back to a wall.

New Maneuvers:
1. Mountain Hammer
3. Revitilizing Strike
4. White Raven Tactics
5. Divine Surge
[roll4] [roll5] [roll6]

Circle of Life
2011-12-19, 07:03 PM
Fist misses the priest by scant inches, the mostly-destroyed figure shifting aside in a flurry of shattered crystalline robes.

Fiddle continues to dance lightly across the battlefield, uncaring of the shattered crystal shards beneath her feet. She lashes out with the veil once more, attempting to finish the champion once and for all. The veil pieces the thing's chest and slices crosswise, shearing it from shoulder to shoulder. The two pieces join the rest of the champion on the ground, and as it falls, the crack in the left side of the wall spiderwebs, thin tendrils of instability spreading across the entire left side of the barrier.

Last round of Heartflame dance, at which point the maneuvers associated with it will be refreshed and ready for use. Once Fiddle's turn ends, she and Fist lose the Heartflame dance bonus to attack and damage. Distracting/DFI Dance ends next turn.

Veil: [roll0] for [roll1] + [roll2] fire + [roll3] vicious and [roll4] backlash.

Variable for next turn: [roll5]

Circle of Life
2011-12-19, 07:10 PM
"The champion falls, but his army remains. The Assassin rises to take his place, for cunning shall surely prevail where brute strength failed." The Gnome hurls a figurine through the barrier, which transforms midflight into a cloaked figure roughly the size of a human child, a bandoleer of knives about its chest and a crossbow held in one hand. The figure strikes the wall some ten feet up and sticks there, both feet and its free hand pressed against the stone.

The knights swarm around Fiddle, poking and prodding, but their attacks are as clumsy when made against the unarmored dancer as against Fist's adamantine plating.

K4: [roll0] for [roll1]
K5: [roll2] for [roll3]
K6: [roll4] for [roll5]

Circle of Life
2011-12-19, 07:16 PM
"The Assassin again, his deceit your doom! Accept your inevitable fate!" The Halfling rocks back and forth on his stool as he hurls his chosen figurine, purple-black tears of mirth streaming down his face from his "eyes".

The figurine passes through the barrier, resolving into a brown-black copy of the assassin created on Fiddle's side of the barrier, once again perched some ten feet up the wall.

Shifting their positions to surround Fist, the knights, priest, mage, and champion unleash a combined assault, slashing crystalline weaponry joined by blasts of shadow and ice.

Priest MTA on Fist: [roll0] for [roll1] damage/healing.
Mage RTA on Fist: [roll2] for [roll3] cold damage
Champion greatsword: [roll4] for [roll5]
K1 longsword: [roll6] for [roll7]
K3 longsword: [roll8] for [roll9]

RaggedAngel
2011-12-19, 08:01 PM
Fist looks to the priest with narrowed eyes, his jaw set and his blade whirling. "Take my strength and use it as your own, will you? Then I shall tell you a terrible truth; there is no limit to my strength, and it will consume you like the ocean would consume a man who tried to drink it." He brings his blade down on the stone sage, and a surge of revitalizing power flows through him.

Stone Power for 5, Revitalizing Strike on the Cleric.

Healing: [roll2] + 2 from Martial Spirit

New Maneuver:
1. Mountain Hammer
2. White Raven Tactics
[roll3]

Circle of Life
2011-12-19, 08:04 PM
What is Fist's health currently? It determines what I'll do for the next round.

RaggedAngel
2011-12-19, 08:09 PM
What is Fist's health currently? It determines what I'll do for the next round.

He was down to 56, and then his Revitalizing Strike brought him up to 72/78. Sorry about that, I meant to keep posting updated statblocks.

Chaotic Neutral Warforged Crusader, Level 7, Init +1, HP 72/78, DR 2/adamantine, Speed 20ft,
AC 22, Touch 11, Flat-footed 21, Fort +10, Ref +3, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus +7/+2
Slam +12 (1d4+5, x2)
Condition None

Circle of Life
2011-12-19, 08:20 PM
Fist strikes the priest down in an explosion of umber shards, which ricochet off the walls and ceiling in time to the sound of a large crack spreading from floor to ceiling along the right side of the wall.

"Heads up!" Fiddle shouts, leaping into the air as the last steps of her dance complete. Curiously, she does not fall back to earth, but rather continues to climb, spinning round and round, violet veils corkscrewing behind her. "One more coming in!"

Abruptly a veil lashes out toward the clear crystal assassin, winding about its middle. Fiddle jerks on the veil, and the assassin springs free of the wall as if catapulted, arcing through the air to slam down into one of the dark footmen, both spraying shards of crystal in a fountain at the impact.

Swift action to assume Magical Melody stance, move to J6 +15 elevation, Comet Throw on A1.

MTA: [roll0], then trip: [roll1] vs [roll2]

Circle of Life
2011-12-19, 08:25 PM
"Hmph. You think you're clever. No matter, the Priest will see an end to you!" the Gnome shouts, hurling a final piece through the wall. It resolves into a clear version of the creature Fist struck down only moments before, though this one's staff is tipped with a jagged bolt of lightning, more of a spear than a staff in truth.

A1 takes [roll0] falling damage and is knocked prone. K1 takes [roll1] falling damage and is knocked prone, unless it passes the DC 19 reflex save: [roll2], in which case it takes half damage (which still might kill it, considering the damage done to it).

Edit: Footman 'asplodes.

Circle of Life
2011-12-19, 08:36 PM
"The final piece, the Castle Walls! Together you stand, but divided you fall!" The Halfling howls a triumphant cry, hurling his final piece through the barrier. A deep rumbling fills the room, and a dark crystal wall oozes down from the ceiling to just barely touch the clear wall with its corners.

As the second barrier descends, the creatures on Fist's side of the room join together in another combined assault, all flashing blades and hurled bolts of ice and shadow. The clear assassin disappears in a puff of vapor, only to reappear several feet away, crossbow aimed at Fist's head.

A second wall drops down from the ceiling, dividing the room completely. There's fifteen feet of clear space below the rightmost row of W's. These walls are much thinner than the barrier protecting the halfling and the gnome, maybe a few inches thick each.

Forgot to take the assassin's turn on the gnome's initiative, but whatever.

A1 *poof*'s, then reappears several feet away and catches Fist flatfooted unless he succeeds on a DC 18 spot check: [roll0]

Hand crossbow: [roll1] for [roll2] and [roll3] sneak attack. Light fort: [roll4] 1-25 negates.

K3 longsword: [roll5] for [roll6]

Champion greatsword: [roll7] for [roll8]

Mage RTA: [roll9] for [roll10] cold damage.

A2 *poof*'s on the wall, reappearing ten feet above Fist, and catches him flatfooted unless he succeeds on a DC 18 spot check: [roll11]

Hand crossbow: [roll12] for [roll13] and [roll14] sneak attack. Light fort: [roll15] 1-25 negates.

RaggedAngel
2011-12-19, 08:48 PM
Fist begins to show signs of wear as the numerous attacks slam into him; the bolt from the second assassin is deflected by his thick armor, but the first assassin strikes true, biting deeply into his shoulder. He continues bashing away at the creatures around him, however, and with a ferocious shout he lets loose another seething blast of divine power, the raging might of his blow focus on the body of the cleric before him. This time his strike lands perfectly, and the blazing light surrounding his blade seems to rip the very fabric of the cleric's being.

Stone Power for 5 again.

Divine Surge: [roll0]

If the cleric dies he'll shift into his space.

He's granted White Raven Tactics.

Chaotic Neutral Warforged Crusader, Level 7, Init +1, HP 51/78, DR 2/adamantine, Speed 20ft,
Slam +12 (1d4+5, x2)
Condition None

RaggedAngel
2011-12-19, 08:49 PM
Crit confirm (if these things can be crit): [roll0]

Circle of Life
2011-12-19, 08:56 PM
That'd be the champion, not the cleric. :p

Will return in several hours with an update, have some work stuff to do in the meanwhile.

Circle of Life
2011-12-20, 01:42 AM
Fist catches the remaining champion in the curve between his neck and shoulder, and with the sound of a hundred shattering glass panes, an enormous section of the champion's upper body is blown clean away. What remains is barely enough to hold the two-handed sword, and even that is fragmented, more cracks that solid crystal.

"Nice shot!" Fiddle exclaims. "At least, I think it was... it's kinda hard to see through this other walll..."

Pivoting in midair, she flies south along the barrier of the walls, veils streaming behind her, until she comes within striking distance of the priest. "You won't be taking any of my soul, thankyouverymuch!" she shouts, whipping at the priest. As the veil streaks toward its target, a hum fills the room, a steady buzz that somehow evokes the feel of warming campfire. Abruptly the veil flares to life with fire once more, and Fiddle grins as the flaming weapon slices through the priest's chest from sternum to shoulder.

Swift: Dragonfire Inspiration

Move to L6

Augment Anapest: [roll0] for [roll1] + [roll2] fire + [roll3] vicious and [roll4] backlash.

If it hits, the DFI increases to 3d6 for its duration (the next five rounds)

Will update with the enemy turns shortly-ish.

Circle of Life
2011-12-20, 02:52 PM
As the clear crystal knights continue to shuffle about uselessly below Fiddle, the priest raises his staff high and brings it down with a sharp crack on the floor tiles. A rippling distortion in the air surrounds Fiddle, then a thunderous BOOOM echoes over and over through the air.

Fiddle takes [roll0] sonic damage and has to pass a DC 17 fort save or be stunned for one round: [roll1]

Circle of Life
2011-12-20, 02:59 PM
On the other side of the barrier, the crystal forces continue their assault with the same heedless care for their own safety as ever. The assassins drop their crossbows in favor of drawing two knives each from their bandoleers, then simultaneously disappear in puffs of vapor to reappear flanking Fist.

A1 *poofs* and catches Fist flatfooted unless he succeeds on a DC 18 spot check: [roll0]
Knife/Knife flurry: [roll1] for [roll2] + [roll3] sneak attack / [roll4] for [roll5] + [roll6] sneak attack
Light fort: [roll7]

A2 *poofs* and catches Fist flatfooted unless he succeeds on a DC 18 spot check: [roll8]
Knife/Knife flurry: [roll9] for [roll10] + [roll11] sneak attack / [roll12] for [roll13] + [roll14] sneak attack
Light fort: [roll15]

Mage does... his magey thing again. Surprise. RTA on Fist: [roll16] for [roll17] cold damage.

Champion greatsword: [roll18] for [roll19]

K3 longsword: [roll20] for [roll21]

Circle of Life
2011-12-20, 03:01 PM
Crit confirm, second knife: [roll0] for [roll1] additional damage.

Light fort: [roll2]

RaggedAngel
2011-12-23, 01:55 AM
The attacks hammer into Fist like a series of hammers, and he nearly collapses to the ground, his body torn and his limbs broken. Anything made of flesh and blood would be nothing but a corpse, a reminder of why some challenges shouldn't be faced.

Fist wasn't made out of flesh and blood.

He lashed out at the champion again, his eyes blazing with a distinct madness and his blade resonating with the strength of mountains. He said nothing, for no words could overcome the burning, raging laughter that poured from him. He was in agony, and it made him feel alive.

Ouch, he's down to 2. 10 of that is delayed, and he'll Stone Power for 10. If he hits with his Mountain Hammer he'll gain another 2 life due to his stance.

Damage: [roll1] and it ignores DR and hardness.

New Maneuvers:
1. Mountain Hammer
3. Revitilizing Strike
4. White Raven Tactics
5. Divine Surge
[roll2] [roll3] [roll4]

Circle of Life
2011-12-28, 12:33 PM
For some reason, this didn't update in my subscription list. I thought you'd abandoned it. Whoops. :smallredface:

Will update later this evening.

RaggedAngel
2011-12-28, 01:28 PM
For some reason, this didn't update in my subscription list. I thought you'd abandoned it. Whoops. :smallredface:

Will update later this evening.

Huzzah! Time for more killing, and potentially dying.

Circle of Life
2011-12-29, 06:33 AM
I hope you'll forgive me for jumping all over the place like this, but I just found my copies of the Dungeon mag with the Savage Tide adventure path in them, and, well...

You're invited to join if you like. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227149)

I will be updating this as promised, but it will be delayed by a day as I pore over the adventure path.