PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Incarnation [3.5, Base Class, PEACH]

Sgt. Cookie
2011-12-18, 02:40 PM
The Elemental Incarnation

No picture for this one. If anyone has an idea of one, I would love to hear it.

They are strange things, Elemental Incarnations. It is unknown if they are blessings, curses, forced upon them or willingly taken. What IS known is their power. They take on aspects and powers of their "patron". An Elemental Incarnation is powerful indeed.

Game rule information:
Elemental Incarnations have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Each incarnation has a key ability score.

Alignment:Any
Hit Die: Each incarnation uses a different Hd.
Starting age: As Sorcerer
Starting gold: As Fighter

Class skills: The Elemental Incarnation's skills (And the ability for each skill) are: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), All Knowledge skills (Taken separately, excluding Arcana) (Int), Move silently (Dex), Swim (Str) and UMD (Cha)

Skill Points and first level: (4 + Int bonus) x 4
Skill points at each additional level: 4 + Int bonus

Shared Class Features:
The following are considered class features for ALL Elemental Incarnations:

Upon taking the first level in this class, choose one of the incarnations below. Once made, this choice is permanent and cannot be changed.

All Elemental Incarnations are proficient with all simple weapons, light amours and light shields.

Elemental Incarnations may be turned or rebuked, but NEVER commanded.

Fire Incarnation

Favored Ability: Charisma
Hit Die: D8
Proficiencies: Fire Incarnates gain no extra proficiencies

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Ball of Flame damage

1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Fire Subtype, Fortification (25%)|N/A

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Cauterize, Shadow of Flames|N/A

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Create Fire, Evasion|1d8

4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Uncanny Dodge, Charisma Bonus|1d8

5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|The Burned Hand Teaches Best, Fortification (50%)|1d8

6th|+4|+2|+5|+2|Bathe in Lava, Fire Spells|1d10

7th|+5|+2|+5|+2|Fire Blade|1d10

8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+2|Improved Uncanny Dodge|1d10

9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+3|Improved Evasion|2d6

10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+3|Fortification (75%)|2d6

11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+3|Walk Through Flames|2d6

12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+4|Fire Form 1/day|2d8

13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+4|Wall Of Flame|2d8

14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+4|Hotter Than Hell|2d8

15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+5|Fortification (100%)|2d10

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Breath Fire|2d10

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Eruption|2d10

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6|[TBD]|3d6

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6|[TBD]|3d6

20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|Miss Chance (50%)|3d6

[/table]

Class Features:
The following are considered class features for Fire Incarnates:

Fire Subtype (Ex)
Upon selecting the fire incarnation, the Elemental Incarnation gains the Fire subtype. Additionally, Fire Incarnate never takes damage from extreme heat.

Fortification (Ex)
As many know, fire has no anatomy. It cannot be killed easily or damaged. As fire has no form. A Fire Incarnate learns this too, and has gained some of this protection. At level one a Fire Incarnate gains Fortification of 25%. Meaning that sneak attack damage has a 25% chance of rolling normal damage. This ability is always active, even when the Fire Incarnate is unconscious.

This bonus increases to 50% at level 5, 75% at level 10 and to 100% at level 15.

Cauterize (Su)
This functions almost exactly like the Paladin's lay on hands ability, except that Cauterize is considered fire based and ALWAYS damages creatures with the cold type or subtype.

Shadow Of Flames (Ex)
The Fire Incarnate treats light cast by non-magical fire as darkness for the purposes of hide checks and adds his Charisma Modifier+Incarnate class levels/2 to hide checks when in said light.

Create Fire (Ex)
The Fire Incarnate may, as a swift action, create a small ball of flame, about the size of a tennis ball, and suspend it within 5ft of himself. The Fire Incarnate may move this ball of flame, on his turn only, as he sees fit. This ball of flame moves with the Fire Incarnate, but can never be moved further than 5ft away. The Fire Incarnate may not create more than one ball of flame in this manner.

The ball of fire is treated as non-magical, except for the Shadow Of Flames ability, and illuminates as well as an everburning torch.

By spending a swift action, the Fire Incarnate may use his ball of fire to make a ranged touch attack, 5ft, and does damage according to the table above + his charisma modifier.

Evasion (Ex)
As per the rouge ability.

Uncanny dodge (Ex)
As per the Barbarian ability.

Charisma Bonus (Ex)
A Fire Incarnate gains a permanent bonus to his Charisma equal to half his class levels. This bonus does not decrease if the Fire Incarnate is affected by level drain.

The Burned Hand Teaches Best (Ex)
Whenever the Fire Incarnate uses his Cauterize ability to heal, the target gains an untyped bonus to skill checks, equal to one quarter of the hit points healed. This bonus lasts for one hour per Fire Incarnation class levels.

Bathe In Lava (Ex)
The Fire Incarnate is so suffused with fire energy, that even magma will accept him. The Fire Incarnate gains a swim speed equal to half his base land speed when in lava. The Fire Incarnate is able to "breath" in lava as though it were air.

Fire Spells (Su)
The Fire Incarnate may cast spells that have the [Fire] descriptor, as though he were a Bard (For spells per day/known), but draws the actual spells from the Wizard/Sorc list. Caster level is equal to Fire Incarnate class levels. Spells cast by the Fire Incarnate do not require material components, nor do they suffer from arcane spell failure. This only applies to spells gained through the Fire Incarnate. The Fire Incarnate may apply metamagic to these spells, without an increase to spell level or caster time, but cannot qualify for them via Fire Incarnate levels alone.

Fire Blade (Su)
The Fire Incarnate has become more and more experienced with his "inner flame" and can call it forth as a mighty weapon. The Fire Incarnate may, as a free action, create a single, one handed melee weapon that is not an exotic weapon. The Fire Incarnate is considered proficient with the flame blade, which deals damage as the "regular" weapon but the damage is considered fire energy. Attacks are made as touch attacks and add Charisma modifier, not Strength modifier, to attacks.

This blade may be sundered by a weapon with a cold enchantment. Hardness is equal to twice the Fire Incarnate's charisma modifier, and hit points equal to half his class levels.

Improved Uncanny dodge (Ex)
As per the Barbarian ability.

Improved Evasion (Ex)
As per the rouge ability.

Walk Though Flames (Su)
The Fire Incarnate may use Dimension Door, as the spell, to travel between two sources of fire, no more than 500ft apart. The Fire Incarnate must be within 5ft of the flame for the ability to work. The fire created by the Fire Incarnate is not acceptable as a "start" point. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to twice the Fire Incarnate's charisma modifier.

Fire Form (Su, activation only)
Flame. Pure, unfiltered, uncaring. The Fire Incarnate knows this now. And embraces his destiny. Once per day, the Fire Incarnate may activate this ability as a swift action. When activated the Fire Incarnate, and any clothing worn and items carried, become pure, insubstantial flame. This form lasts for Charisma mod X 4 rounds. This form grants several bonuses:

The Fire Incarnate gains the Incorporeal subtype. The exceptions to the miss chance gained in this form are outlined in the capstone ability.
The Fire Incarnate is considered insubstantial while in this form. This means that while he couldn't go through a wall, he could pass through bars.
Any weapons currently wielded counts as though they were created via Fire Blade, but do not have the penalties.
The Fire Incarnate gains an ability similar to Acid Sheathe, from the SpC, except that all instances of "Acid" are changed to "Fire".
While in this form, all spells cast by the Fire Incarnate, even spells from other classes, gain the Searing Spell meta magic feat for free, without any increase in spell level or casting time.

Note: If Fire Form is "put out" prematurely, the Fire Incarnate returns to his normal form

Wall Of Flame (Su)
By now the Fire Incarnate can create fire and flame, almost at will, and can shape and alter it. One per encounter, the Fire Incarnate may use the spell Wall Of Fire, as a spell like ability. Caster level is equal to Fire Incarnate class levels.

Hotter than hell (Ex)
By now the Fire Incarnate has learned to control flame. It serves him. And he has learned to coax more power out of it. The Fire Incarnate may add his Charisma modifier as an additional bonus to all fire based damage caused by him. This bonus also applies to fire damage done via other classes or via items (Such as a wand of fireballs).

Breath Fire (Su)]
The Fire Incarnate has learned how Red Dragons use their breath, and has been able to replicate it. A Fire Incarnate may breath fire as though he were a Red Dragon.

The Fire Incarnate's "Dragon HD" is equal to his HD + his Charisma Modifier.

So, assuming a Fire Incarnate had a Charisma Modifier of +12 and a HD of 16, this would give him 28 "Dragon HD", the equivalent of an old dragon. Meaning he would have a breath attack of 16D10+12 (+12 is his charisma modifier, in this example, added via the "Hotter Than Hell" class ablity)

[B]Eruption (Su)
The Fire Incarnate is one with flame, and even lava will now accept his rule. Once per encounter, as a full round action that provokes AoOs, the Fire Incarnate may cause a 10ft radius, within 100ft of himself, to erupt into a volcano. This lava spreads to 30 ft after one round and then to 60ft after the second. After a third round the lava is spread out too far and cooled too much to do any real damage.

Creatures within the 10ft radius are considered totally immersed in lava for two rounds. They may not move out of the lava unless they make a fortitude save, even then they may only take a 5ft step.

Creatures within the 10ft radius may make a reflex save to dodge the lava, entering the 30ft radius.

Creatures in the 30ft and 60ft radius are considered exposed to the lava.

This ability can only be used on actual ground. So it couldn't be used if the Fire Incarnate was on a ship in the middle of the sea, for example.

Miss Chance (Su)
Fire is insubstantial. You can cut and cut but nothing seems to hurt it. The Fire Incarnate has been able to, briefly, embody this trait before now. But he has learned that not all of his body need become flame to avoid damage. The Fire incarnate gains a 50% miss chance to all damage from a corporeal source. Provided that the Fire Incarnate is awake.

Unlike a miss chance that an incorporeal creature, such as a ghost gets, this is caused by the Fire Incarnate shaping his body into that of flame, as such all forms of energy are not affected by this miss chance. Weapons enchanted to deal cold damage overcome the Miss Chance. Ghost Touch weapons DO NOT overcome the Miss Chance gained from this ability.

Note:
I'm well aware that this is an attractive two level dip for an assassin/rouge character. So don't jump down my throat about it, OK?

Cold Incarnation (Currently a WIP)

Favored Ability: Constitution
Hit Die: D12
Proficiencies: Cold Incarnates gain proficiency with martial weapons, all amours and shields, including tower shields.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Cold Subtype, Ice Armour

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Ice Walk, Needle Ice

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6|

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+7|

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8|

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9|

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+9|

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|

[/table]

Class Features:
The following are considered class features for Cold Incarnates:

Cold Subtype (Ex)
Upon selecting the Cold incarnation, the Elemental Incarnation gains the Cold subtype. Additionally, Cold Incarnates never takes damage from extreme cold.

Ice Armour (Ex)
Ice is very resistant to damage, able to shake off even the most powerful of blows. Cold Incarnates learn this as they take on the form of ice. Upon gaining this class feature the Cold Incarnate gains a natural armour bonus, that protects against touch attacks, equal to his class levels and DR/Fire* equal to twice his constitution modifier.

*In order to overcome this DR, a weapon needs to deal fire damage. For example: A longsword is enchanted to deal an additional 1d6 fire damage. That longsword will be able to ignore the DR.

Ice Walk (Ex)
Even on the steepest of slopes on the highest of mountains, the Cold Incarnate will never slip or fall, and is NEVER slowed down. The Cold Incarnate may treat squares covered in ice, including magical ice designed to slow down movement, as normal ground.

Howler Dagger
2011-12-18, 04:26 PM
You do know there is already a WOTC class called the incarnate, right?

Sgt. Cookie
2011-12-18, 04:28 PM
No. No I did not.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-12-20, 11:58 AM
Fire Incarnation is finished to a point where I would like a PEACH. Levels 18 and 19 need an ability, but I am unsure as to what they might be. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Eldest
2011-12-20, 03:16 PM
Quick problem, is that this class grants no proficiencies. Is it not intended as a base class?

Sgt. Cookie
2011-12-20, 03:45 PM
No. the Fire Incarnation gives no EXTRA proficienceis.

Shared Class Features:#
The following are considered class features for ALL Elemental Incarnations:

Upon taking the first level in this class, choose one of the incarnations below. Once made, this choice is permanent and cannot be changed.

All Elemental Incarnations are proficient with all simple weapons, light amours and light shields.

Elemental Incarnations may be turned or rebuked, but NEVER commanded.

Eldest
2011-12-20, 03:54 PM
Ah, my bad. Missed that.

Razanir
2011-12-20, 10:08 PM
Miss Chance (Su)
A fire incarnate learns the most basic skill of his kin, to shape some of his body into that of flame itself. The Fire Incarnate may use this ability whenever he would be subject to an attack that is partly or fully physical that he is expecting, so sneak attacks and the like are unaffected, ranged attacks are always considered unexpected, then the attacker suffers from a 25% miss chance, as the weapon cuts through insubstantial flame.

This bonus increases to 50% at level 5, 75% at level 10 and to 100% at level 15.

Improved Miss Chance (Su)
The Fire Incarnate gains a 100% miss chance to all fully or partly physical attacks, even unexpected ones. This ability works only when the Incarnate is conscious and aware.

100% miss seems iffy. It's like incorporeal, but more potent. Incorporeal at least has that weapon enchantment and the etheral plane. Maybe change it from 25/50/75/100 to 20/40/60/80 or even 15/30/45/60

Mathias1313
2011-12-21, 02:26 AM
i read over the class and I like it, it is very flavorful and I just like the basic idea behind it. i looked over the abilites and here are my suggestions and concerns..

Fire Subtype (Ex)
Ok, so this is pretty cool, nothing crazy.

Miss Chance (Su)
This…. I mean really? No offense but 1st lvl Blur only 25% against any attack you are aware of which is most. On top of this it get progressively better, until at 15th lvl you are immune to all physical weapons. This is way too much. If this worked liked Fortification with those percentages this would be a lot more balanced.

As I have already mentioned, horribly broken.

Cauterize (Su)
I like this ability, very flavorful and not overpowering.

Shadow Of Flames (Ex)
Interesting idea, I like it but the bonus is too high, Make it either, half Class lvl or simply just add the CHA bonus to hide and it would still be an awesome ability.

Create Fire (Ex)
I like this ability but it needs clarification and possibly staggering of the abilities.
Be carefull when you say at will. That generally implies a non-action and that would be too much. Try saying something like, as a free action or swift action, you can create the ball of flame within 5ft, thus limiting you to 1 ball.
I would also make the use of the ball as an attack cost an action. Like either being able to use it like an attack action or simply as a swift action you can attack with it as a touch attack. I would also spread the damage out like the monks unarmed progression, so it gets more powerful as you lvl.

Evasion (Ex)
I like it

Uncanny dodge (Ex)
I like it

Charisma Bonus (Ex)
No. Just no. At 20th lvl you have a bonus of 20 to your CHA. Hellz no man, that is way too much of a bonus. +1 for every 5 lvls at max.

This is way too much also. At 5th lvl with an 18 starting CHA(+5 due to Cha bonus)=23 Cha, you are looking at a heal ppol of 30. So if I heal the thief for 30 hps in the morning, he gains a +30 untyped bonus to all his skills for the next 24hrs. This is also broken. Either just change it to a static bonus like a +4 untyped bonus to all Skills for 1hr after being healed or have the bonus progress thru the lvls. 24hrs is alos too long of a duration.

Bathe In Lava (Ex)
Again, Flavorfull ability and of limited use but still pretty cool, I like it.

Fire Spells (Su)
Not sure about this, I think it is too much. Full Sorc casting, I know its only with Fire spells, but that is a lot of blasting. Try maybe giving them Bard Casting instead of Sorc, still limited to Fire only. That’s a little more reasonable.

Fire Blade (Su)
Not sure if I like how this fits thematically with the rest of the abilities, but I would caution again to require an action to create the blade. Also you should set down other parameters. For example, can the blade be sundered or destroyed? Can it be disarmed and if so does it still exist? Can you give the blade to your Fighter friend so he can use it? A little more clarity would be nice.

Improved Uncanny dodge (Ex)
I like it.

Improved Evasion (Ex)
I like it.

Walk Though Flames (Su)
Don’t really see anything bad about this ability other than you didn’t say how many times he can use it and what action it requires to use, this should be clarified.

I like this ability however some things should be toned down abit. Ive already explained I don’t like the Miss Chance class feature so I wont touch on that. Just say they gain the incorporeal subtype but still cannot pass thru solid objects, however can pass thur objects as if with Gaseous form. Changing all weapons to Fireblades is pretty cool as it is only 1/day. I would remove the at will SLAs an instead give it an affect similar to acid sheath only applicable to Fire spells instead. Maybe have all spells getting the Searing Spell Metamagic Feat for Free. The whole grapple things is far too much and if you use the Fire based Acid Sheath, then that already affects grapplers so still does what you want.

Wall Of Flame (Su)
Just make this equal to the spell Wall of Flame and maybe 1/encounter or seomthing instead of at will.

Hotter than hell (Ex)
I gotta say I really like this ability as it applies to any fire damage you do, not just from spells. I would however just remove the breath weapon. You have spells and a lot of Spell like abilities, the breath weapon I find is just overkill.

Eruption (Su)
I don’t really like this ability, it seems too much and too complicated. Maybe change it to mimic Caustic Mire. Not sure what to suggest instead.

I apologize for the text block, this is the first time i have posted soemthing this big.
I think on the whole the class has some very cool elements, but the power of some of the abilities is a little beyond playable.

i look forward to any revisions. :smallsmile:

Sgt. Cookie
2011-12-21, 04:35 PM
i read over the class and I like it, it is very flavorful and I just like the basic idea behind it. i looked over the abilites and here are my suggestions and concerns..

Fire Subtype (Ex)
Ok, so this is pretty cool, nothing crazy.

[quote]Miss Chance (Su)
This…. I mean really? No offense but 1st lvl Blur only 25% against any attack you are aware of which is most. On top of this it get progressively better, until at 15th lvl you are immune to all physical weapons. This is way too much. If this worked liked Fortification with those percentages this would be a lot more balanced.

As I have already mentioned, horribly broken.

Cauterize (Su)
I like this ability, very flavorful and not overpowering.

Thanks.

Shadow Of Flames (Ex)
Interesting idea, I like it but the bonus is too high, Make it either, half Class lvl or simply just add the CHA bonus to hide and it would still be an awesome ability.

I'll change it to half class levels.

Create Fire (Ex)
I like this ability but it needs clarification and possibly staggering of the abilities.
Be carefull when you say at will. That generally implies a non-action and that would be too much. Try saying something like, as a free action or swift action, you can create the ball of flame within 5ft, thus limiting you to 1 ball.
I would also make the use of the ball as an attack cost an action. Like either being able to use it like an attack action or simply as a swift action you can attack with it as a touch attack. I would also spread the damage out like the monks unarmed progression, so it gets more powerful as you lvl.

All right.

Charisma Bonus (Ex)
No. Just no. At 20th lvl you have a bonus of 20 to your CHA. Hellz no man, that is way too much of a bonus. +1 for every 5 lvls at max.

How about half class levels instead? Since almost all of the Fire Incarnate's abilities rely on charisma, it would need a sizeable boost for it to be worthwhile.

This is way too much also. At 5th lvl with an 18 starting CHA(+5 due to Cha bonus)=23 Cha, you are looking at a heal ppol of 30. So if I heal the thief for 30 hps in the morning, he gains a +30 untyped bonus to all his skills for the next 24hrs. This is also broken. Either just change it to a static bonus like a +4 untyped bonus to all Skills for 1hr after being healed or have the bonus progress thru the lvls. 24hrs is alos too long of a duration.

That would imply the thief had taken 30 points of damage. Which... is rather counter intuitive. :smallconfused:

I'll tone it down to one quarter of Hit points heald, minimum of +1 bonus. I will change the duration to one hour per class level.

Bathe In Lava (Ex)
Again, Flavorfull ability and of limited use but still pretty cool, I like it.

Just seemed like a good idea to add.

Fire Spells (Su)
Not sure about this, I think it is too much. Full Sorc casting, I know its only with Fire spells, but that is a lot of blasting. Try maybe giving them Bard Casting instead of Sorc, still limited to Fire only. That’s a little more reasonable.

I actually forgot that Bards' spell casting stat is charisma. Will change.

Fire Blade (Su)
Not sure if I like how this fits thematically with the rest of the abilities, but I would caution again to require an action to create the blade. Also you should set down other parameters. For example, can the blade be sundered or destroyed? Can it be disarmed and if so does it still exist? Can you give the blade to your Fighter friend so he can use it? A little more clarity would be nice.

I will state that they can be sundered/destroyed with cold enchantment weapons. It cannot be disarmed or passed to another person. I will state that it is "summoned" with a free action.

Walk Though Flames (Su)
Don’t really see anything bad about this ability other than you didn’t say how many times he can use it and what action it requires to use, this should be clarified.

Twice charisma modifier per day?

I like this ability however some things should be toned down abit. Ive already explained I don’t like the Miss Chance class feature so I wont touch on that. Just say they gain the incorporeal subtype but still cannot pass thru solid objects, however can pass thur objects as if with Gaseous form. Changing all weapons to Fireblades is pretty cool as it is only 1/day. I would remove the at will SLAs an instead give it an affect similar to acid sheath only applicable to Fire spells instead. Maybe have all spells getting the Searing Spell Metamagic Feat for Free. The whole grapple things is far too much and if you use the Fire based Acid Sheath, then that already affects grapplers so still does what you want.

Alright but the following changes will need to be made, for fluff reasons:

Cold enchantment functions like ghost touch, for damaging the Fire Incarnate.

Acid sheathe changes all instances of Acid to Fire.

Wall Of Flame (Su)
Just make this equal to the spell Wall of Flame and maybe 1/encounter or seomthing instead of at will.

Not familiar with this spell, I have searched both the PhB and SpC, but I cannot find it. Which book is it in?

Hotter than hell (Ex)
I gotta say I really like this ability as it applies to any fire damage you do, not just from spells.

It's first incarnation only affected spells, but I changed it to ALL fire damage afterwards.

I would however just remove the breath weapon. You have spells and a lot of Spell like abilities, the breath weapon I find is just overkill.

I don't know, from a fluff standpoint I can see this as a definite thing a Fire Incarnate would be able to do. You can't get more intune with fire than breathing it. From a crunch standpoint, Overkill is more for player gratification, rather than game breaking. So, I really don't know.

Eruption (Su)
I don’t really like this ability, it seems too much and too complicated. Maybe change it to mimic Caustic Mire. Not sure what to suggest instead.

I like it. It seems like a natural progression from becoming fire to causing lava to spring from the ground.

What book is Caustic Mire in, anyway?

Mathias1313
2011-12-22, 01:48 AM
Caustic Mire I believe is in Complete Mage and is a 4th lvl spell.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-12-22, 01:21 PM
Fire Incarnation has been updated.

AustontheGreat1
2011-12-30, 08:17 AM
Hey, I don't presume to know better than you but to me the class seems like a elemental themed warlock with set abilities, and I think you might want to consider pushing it more in that direction. Giving set core abilities which comprise the main feel of the class, such as the fortification, miss chance, ball of fire, while then granting a list of powers to choose from at will powers from a gradually list, much like a warlock.

That would make the class a little more approachable and customizable while simultaneously giving you an easy comparison for balance.

Like I said, I like what you've done, I just think that it might make some sense. I'm really not trying to insult or criticize you.

However, I would like to ask that if you decide not to go in that direction, would you mind if I tried to do it myself. I'm not going to if you wouldn't be comfortable with it. I certainly don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-12-30, 11:05 AM
I've thought about it, but the Warlock idea doesn't really fit what I'm trying to do here. If you want to try it, go right ahead, I'm not uncomfortable with it at all.

Madara
2011-12-30, 11:32 AM
Sir, I eagerly await the Earth Incarnation. I like how it doesn't cast spells doesn't focus on spellcasting, which makes it simpler to use and it has flavorful and useful abilities. I must ask, to make it simpler, what role do you see the class taking?

It doesn't look to me like your type ever changes to Elemental...
I was thinking of this really awesome combo of taking the class to become an elemental and having the Necromental template ontop of that. It would be awesome.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-12-30, 01:41 PM
Each Incarnation will fill a different roll, the Fire Incarnation is the specialist type with some blasting and healing thrown in for good measure.

Cold and Earth incarnations will fill a tank roll, with Cold focusing on defence while Earth is more for the offensive side of things.

The Air Incarnation will be fill the skirmisher type roll, focusing on darting about the battle field and putting emphasis on DPS, rather than straight up damage.

Water Incarnation will all be about be all about battle field control, mainly via screwing with the water in people's bodies and in the air.

This class doesn't turn you into an elemental, it simply fuses an element with a living form.

Though, a Negative Energy Incarnation, now THAT'S an idea...

Madara
2011-12-30, 03:54 PM
Maybe Necro Incarnation as a PrC? Could be very interesting.

radmelon
2011-12-30, 04:11 PM
Each Incarnation will fill a different roll, the Fire Incarnation is the specialist type with some blasting and healing thrown in for good measure.

Cold and Earth incarnations will fill a tank roll, with Cold focusing on defence while Earth is more for the offensive side of things.

This seems somewhat backwards to me. It makes sense for cold to be offensive, as it has it's own damage type. Also, earth is usually associated with "Slow, but indestructable".

eftexar
2011-12-30, 05:07 PM
They are definitely flavorful. The eruption ability sounds like alot of fun and being able to hide in flames is amusing (It would make for the flashiest assassin ever).
Its seems incredibly PrC-ish though. And what I mean by that, is that it doesn't offer any choices (at least not beyond which element). Still it's the best iteration I've seen of a class that turns someone into a fire elemental.
I would just make wall of flame, especially with the level it is gained at, castable at will or give it a recharge time instead (1d4 +1?). It really isn't that powerful of an ability and the actions it takes to cast more than make up for its use. Just add a clause that it's damage doesn't stack from multiple sources.
And maybe extend some of its fire based abilities (such as Walk Through Flames) to work in lava.

Madara
2011-12-30, 08:55 PM
Madara would Like Earth Glide with his Earth Incarnation :smallbiggrin:
But also, I think this is the perfect class for an elemental band...I wonder if when its done I could find a PbP game for it on Gtip?

Sgt. Cookie
2011-12-31, 05:21 PM
This seems somewhat backwards to me. It makes sense for cold to be offensive, as it has it's own damage type. Also, earth is usually associated with "Slow, but indestructable".

While I understand your concern, by giving Cold the defense focus I can mess around with earthquakes, landslides, giant boulders when making the Earth Incarnation without it being OP.

They are definitely flavorful. The eruption ability sounds like alot of fun and being able to hide in flames is amusing (It would make for the flashiest assassin ever).

You don't hide in fire per se, you would be able to. But what the ability allows you to do is treat light cast by non-magical flame as darkness for all intents and purposes, such as a hide check.

Its seems incredibly PrC-ish though. And what I mean by that, is that it doesn't offer any choices (at least not beyond which element). Still it's the best iteration I've seen of a class that turns someone into a fire elemental.

True that you don't get that much of a choice with it, but I don't think that this would really work as a PrC, your thoughts on the matter?

I would just make wall of flame, especially with the level it is gained at, castable at will or give it a recharge time instead (1d4 +1?). It really isn't that powerful of an ability and the actions it takes to cast more than make up for its use. Just add a clause that it's damage doesn't stack from multiple sources.

I'll change it to at-will, I had it in its initial state as I was worried that it might be too much.

And maybe extend some of its fire based abilities (such as Walk Through Flames) to work in lava.

I never thought of that, thanks.

Madara would Like Earth Glide with his Earth Incarnation :smallbiggrin:

One earth glide, coming up.

But also, I think this is the perfect class for an elemental band...I wonder if when its done I could find a PbP game for it on Gtip?

You just might. Provided I can finish off the damned Fire Incarnation's final two abilities.

eftexar
2011-12-31, 07:40 PM
I like them as base classes better. I don't often take PrCs anyways unless they are less than 5 levels or I happen to be playing a straight spellcasting class (which isn't too often). I'm just wondering if you could give them a few minor choices with their abilities. It's not absolutely necessary though.
I have a question about Fire Spell's progression though. Does he begin gaining spells at the level in question or does he gain spells as a bard of that level. The former would make more sense considering the setup. Also what spell list does he have access to? I understand limiting him to the bard progression, but not the spell list.
And this is a minor nitpick, but why not rename fortification and miss chance something cool. Not that I have any ideas right now, but the thesaurus is fun.
Hmm... A couple of ideas for the dead levels. How about the ability to eat fire or move flames already present.