PDA

View Full Version : Sleepless in Seattle (3.5 feats, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-19, 03:56 AM
I'm basically going through my text file of homebrew feats and posting the cream of the crop. This is the just some more stuff for casters that I felt should exist. I'm fairly certain this covers all the feat chains I've created. All that's left after this is a wide assortment of random feats.

Feat: Light Sleeper
Prerequisites: Con 11
Benefits: Your body can run off less sleep than normal. You require only 75% the sleep that a character of your race normally needs to be well rested. A human Wizard with this feat would need only 6 hours of sleep a night before he could prepare spells again.

Feat: Night Owl
Prerequisites: Light Sleeper, Con 15
Benefits: Your body works well with little sleep. You require only 50% the sleep that a character of your race normally needs to be well rested. A human Wizard with this feat would need only 4 hours of sleep a night before he could prepare spells again.

Feat: Insomniac
Prerequisites: Light Sleeper, Night Owl, Con 19
Benefits: Your body is an almost sleepless machine. You require only 25% the sleep that a character of your race normally needs to be well rested. A human Wizard with this feat would need only 2 hours of sleep a night before he could prepare spells again.

Feat: Sleepless Machine
Prerequisites: Light Sleeper, Night Owl, Insomniac, Con 23, character level 21
Benefits: Your body is so well trained that it rarely needs sleep. You may go for up to three days with no sleep. You may spend time to prepare spells as if you had slept for your full required amount of time without sleeping once during that time. Using this feat makes you very tired: the next time you sleep, you may not use Light Sleeper, Night Owl or Insomniac; you must rest the full time required for your race.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-19, 04:02 AM
I don't think that Light Sleeper should have a lighter prerequisite than Endurance. I mean, Endurance, Dodge, Power Attack, Combat Expertise, all the Core feats have 13 as the baseline. I think 13 should be the baseline here too, just because it's a useful feat to have.

Edit: Other than that, these look like useful feats, save Sleepless Machine, but that's just because at 21st level wizards can plane shift to planes of existence where time flows differently, allowing them to spend 8 hours resting when it's only a round to the rest of the party, and then they can port back.

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-19, 05:03 AM
Well, originally I was going to go without a prereq on Light Sleeper, but then decided to add one later. I didn't want much of one, I just wanted one that made sure the feat taker had an above average Con score, so I balanced it with the rest of the feats by offsetting the prereq score by four points from the next highest.

Ecalsneerg
2011-12-19, 05:09 AM
How would these work with, say, an Elf Wizard? They still need to rest for 8 hours to prepare spells, but only need to "sleep", i.e. trance, for a mere 2 hours.

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-19, 05:15 AM
The spell applies to both times. An elf would need less time in trance to "sleep" and less time before they could recover spells. I suppose they should be worded differently to get that across.