PDA

View Full Version : I don't do poor countries.

Elder Tsofu
2011-12-20, 10:52 AM
I was peacefully listening to the radio yesterday when an ad caught my interest. It was from Unicef Sweden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicef) and featured Santa Claus from a slightly different perspective than usual.

The radio version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4i2nGeZxQ)
The TV version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWOyMiXCks)

We're shown a quite crass Santa complaining over Unicef Sweden's suggested Christmas gift consisting of a donation where you receive a gift-card while the donation go to vaccine, food and medicine in 3'rd world countries. He suggest that it's not a proper Christmas present to someone and as if to drive the nail down with a last remark, ends it with the line "I don't do poor countries".

Personally I think its a quite clever twist of what you expect to see/hear on TV and radio around this time of year and its wrapped up in a barbed message as an added bonus. But what do you think?

Is it a hit below the belt to use such a popular figure in that context for their, when it comes down to it, rather well-meaning objectives?

The radio version is the superior to me since it feels like a distilled version of the TV-commercial, but they're both quite thought-provoking in an innocent kind of way. Also since I prefer to visualize Santa in it as a grumpy trailer-driver.

Mercenary Pen
2011-12-20, 11:16 AM
If its a hit below the belt, I would say it was a desperately needed one- I don't know about Sweden, but here in the UK there can be a sense of middle class entitlement that prefers to ignore the suffering of others when it gets in the way of self-serving celebration...

Beyond that, I'm not really articulate enough to express myself without causing massive offense to others, so I'll leave it at that.

DeusMortuusEst
2011-12-20, 11:30 AM
I approve of this message, it's a good one! :smallbiggrin:

Newman
2011-12-20, 11:59 AM
I am not ashamed to admit that I am an altruist. But you don't need to donate money every month to know there's something wrong with this world when private megacorps can openly try to sell expensive trash to your children, but

I'm not inspired right now...

Fiery Diamond
2011-12-20, 12:10 PM
I am not ashamed to admit that I am an altruist. But you don't need to donate money every month to know there's something wrong with this world when private megacorps can openly try to sell expensive trash to your children, but

I am not at all sure what you're trying to say. Because it sounds like you're saying "I'm an altruist, and the commercial is right about how messed up this world is, but it's rubbing me the wrong way because I don't feel that I have to be donating all the time to be a good person."

Well, that's true, you don't, but then you're stretching the definition of altruist quite a bit.

I liked the commercial.

Newman
2011-12-20, 01:14 PM
I was trying to make a mutation of Rick Perry's ad.

Totally Guy
2011-12-20, 01:23 PM
Oooh, that's clever.

Pokonic
2011-12-20, 01:25 PM

"clapclapclap"

Weezer
2011-12-20, 01:29 PM
I thought it was really good. A nice change from the saccharine sweet bent around Christmas that tends to get old very quickly.

@Newman

Good attempt, I appreciated it.

Fiery Diamond
2011-12-20, 02:30 PM
I was trying to make a mutation of Rick Perry's ad.

Ah. I don't watch TV, much less political ads. Thanks for explaining.

Nerd-o-rama
2011-12-20, 02:31 PM
I am not ashamed to admit that I am an altruist. But you don't need to donate money every month to know there's something wrong with this world when private megacorps can openly try to sell expensive trash to your children, but...

Uhhh....

...whoops.

Fixed that for you.

Newman
2011-12-20, 02:42 PM
That an infraction? Should I edit it?

Nerd-o-rama
2011-12-20, 02:52 PM
That an infraction? Should I edit it?

No, I was just combining three references. The political ad you referenced, a debate earlier in the year, and...uh...

...whoops.

TheThan
2011-12-20, 03:01 PM
well this reminds me that Santa hates poor kids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Q2cXLhHhU&list=UUESNYRD3HRimEVi-2EpziVg&index=1&feature=plcp).
(warning NSFW due to language.)

Mando Knight
2011-12-20, 03:12 PM
No, I was just combining three references. The political ad you referenced, a debate earlier in the year, and...uh...

...whoops.
One company makes 70% of the cool toys! OCCUPY HASBRO! :smalltongue:

Weezer
2011-12-20, 03:19 PM

But they're already occupying all of us (with fun toys).

Newman
2011-12-20, 03:34 PM
The explanation I give my kids is that
Santa is only a delivery man who works for every kids' parents that ask for his help, and who just happens to have awesome superpowers and really cool gear. He doesn't have any means on keeping tabs on who was naughty or nice though, and relies completely on the parents for info, and, obviously, they can lie or be mistaken. Plus, the toys he brings aren't made by elves, because that's not the sort of toys kids ask for: they all ask for toys from brands, produced industrially (all the details are in the box, and I show them where their toys were actually made, and by whom... sometimes it isn't pretty, since it's not elves, but other children, that make them). Santa Claus can't steal from them, and he can't copy their stuff, or he'd get sued and banned from delivering at all. So the parents are the ones that pay for the toys. That's why the richest kids get the greatest toys. Also, he doesn't go to families that don't celebrate Christmas because the parents haven't asked for his help, something he should respect, and because tresspassing is wrong (and might get him shot).

Still, Santa Claus is a nice guy who does what he can to make kids happy. Other parents don't tell you this because it makes him look less cool, and the holidays should be as cool as possible. It's kind of like Jesus crapping: nobody talks about it, but because of that, kids, you know Jesus crapped like any other man. Had it not been the case, it would have been a miracle in itself, and would have been remembered.

Am I being evil?

Worlok
2011-12-20, 03:40 PM
Am I being evil?
Nah. A tad more serious than some, maybe. But hardly evil. And, well, Ol' Saint Nick remains his sympathetic self, so no offense there. Good man, Newman.

Pokonic
2011-12-20, 04:08 PM

Ponythread is already starting to think this is a good idea, for a different reason.:smallbiggrin:

Starwulf
2011-12-20, 04:33 PM
The explanation I give my kids is that

Am I being evil?

Not evil, but I don't think I would ever tell my children that. I remember my fond memories of Christmas when I was a child, and I certainly wouldn't have wanted my parents to spoil it(and it does feel like your spoiling it for your children a little) by telling me something like that. I get where this thread is coming from though, and I do think, that once the myth of Santa is revealed, that every parent should instill in their children that millions of other little children don't get anything for Christmas because of poverty and horrible circumstances.

Newman
2011-12-20, 04:37 PM
Because we want show-accurate toys. Is that too much to ask? Must the ponies look awful? Should we only buy such things from each other?

Fiery Diamond
2011-12-20, 05:46 PM
Am I being evil?

Nah, although I don't really see the point of even telling your kids about Santa Claus if you're gonna spoil that much of it. Why not just tell them Santa isn't real? There are plenty of parents who do that, you know.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-12-20, 05:50 PM
Y'know, it doesn't actually hurt the child for them to believe in Santa Claus and in the Tooth Fairy for a little while. I remember when I figured out the Easter Bunny wasn't real. it wasn't an "OH NO" moment, it was a "oh, huh" moment.

Newman
2011-12-20, 06:08 PM
I don't want my kids to believe in stuff just because everyone else seems to. That's how mass insanity happens. But I won't spoil it for them either, I just give them the hints and ask them the right questions.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-12-20, 07:31 PM
I don't want my kids to believe in stuff just because everyone else seems to. That's how mass insanity happens. But I won't spoil it for them either, I just give them the hints and ask them the right questions.

I dunno. As a kid, I feel I missed a WHOLE lot of the things about just being a kid. And I'm not sure I'm better off now, emotionally, because of that. I'd rather let kids be kids, than expect them to be simply smaller adults. Expecting them to think critically about the information given them? Most kids will just accept whatever they're told. And I think that's perfectly ok. When they grow up, they'll understand. I sincerely doubt that belief in Santa Claus, or the Easter Bunny can be called "mass insanity"

averagejoe
2011-12-20, 08:19 PM
The Mod They Call Me: This conversation wanders a bit too close to politics. Thread locked.