PDA

View Full Version : The BladeSinger (3.5, base class, PEACH)

BelGareth
2011-12-20, 11:44 PM
The BladeSinger
"You sing for merriment and wine, I sing for the protection of my countrymen, do you see the difference?"

Class skills (4 + Int Modifier per level): The class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Local)(Int), knowledge (Arcana)(Int), knowledge (history)(Int), knowledge (planes)(Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str) and Tumble (Dex).

4 * (4 + Int Modifier) for first level

Alignment: Any

Starting Age: As Bard

Starting Wealth: As Bard

Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Speed Bonus|-0-|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th

1st| +1 | +0 | +2 | +2 | Armored Mage, Chosen Weapon |+0|4|1|-|-|-|-|-

2nd| +2 | +0 | +3 | +3 | Cunning Initiative, Bladesong style |+0|4|2|-|-|-|-|-

3rd| +3 | +1 | +3 | +3 | Lesser Spellsong, Quick Draw |+0|4|3|-|-|-|-|-

4th| +4 | +1 | +4 | +4 | Uncanny Dodge |+0|4|3|1|-|-|-|-

5th| +5 | +1 | +4 | +4 | Spellsong 1st, Fighter Training |+0|4|4|2|-|-|-|-

6th| +6/+1 | +2 | +5 | +5 | Spellstrike, Fast Movement |+10|4|4|3|-|-|-|-

7th| +7/+2 | +2 | +5 | +5 | Arcane Strike, Strike of the Blade Song |+10|4|4|3|1|-|-|-

8th| +8/+3 | +2 | +6 | +6 | Improved Uncanny Dodge, Spellsong 2nd |+10|4|4|4|2|-|-|-

9th| +9/+4 | +3 | +6 | +6 | Intuitive Reflexes |+10|4|4|4|3|-|-|-

10th| +10/+5 | +3 | +7 | +7 | Song of Fury, Greater Spellsong (2) |+10|4|4|4|3|1|-|-

11th| +11/+6/+1 | +3 | +7 | +7 | Spellsong 3rd |+20|4|4|4|4|2|-|-

12th| +12/+7/+2 | +4 | +8 | +8 | Greater Spellstrike |+20|4|4|4|4|3|-|-

13th| +13/+8/+3 | +4 | +8 | +8 | Strike of the Blade Song |+20|4|4|4|4|3|1|-

14th| +14/+9/+4 | +4 | +9 | +9 | Song of Celerity, Spellsong 4th |+20|4|4|4|4|4|2|-

15th| +15/+10/+5 | +5 | +9 | +9 | Greater Spellsong (3) |+20|4|4|4|4|4|3|-

16th| +16/+11/+6/+1 | +5 | +10 | +10 | Greater Song of Fury |+30|4|4|4|4|4|3|1

17th| +17/+12/+7/+2 | +5 | +10 | +10 | Spellsong 5th |+30|4|4|4|4|4|4|2

18th| +18/+13/+8/+3 | +6 | +11 | +11 | Power of the Bladesong |+30|4|4|4|4|4|4|3

19th| +19/+14/+9/+4 | +6 | +11 | +11 | Strike of the Bladesong |+30|4|4|4|4|4|4|3

20th| +20/+15/+10/+5 | +6 | +12 | +12 | Greater Spellsong (4), Spellsong 6th, Bladesong Master |+30|4|4|4|4|4|4|4
[/table]

Proficiencies: BladeSingers are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the Longsword, Rapier, Scimitar, and Flail. BladeSingers are proficient with light armor but not shields.

Spellcasting: A BladeSinger casts arcane spells which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. A BladeSinger must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time (see below).

To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the BladeSinger must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a BladeSinger’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the BladeSinger’s Intelligence modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a BladeSinger can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The BladeSinger. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Intelligence score.

Unlike a bard or sorcerer, a BladeSinger may know any number of spells. She must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time by getting a good night’s sleep and spending 1 hour studying her spellbook. While studying, the BladeSinger decides which spells to prepare.

Spellbook: A BladeSinger must study her spellbook each day to prepare her spells. She cannot prepare any spell not recorded in her spellbook, except for read magic, which all BladeSingers can prepare from memory.

A BladeSinger begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level wizard/sorcerer spells plus three 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the BladeSinger has, the spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice. At each new BladeSinger level, she gains two new spells of any spell level or levels that she can cast (based on her new BladeSinger level) for her spellbook. At any time, a BladeSinger can also add spells found in other BladeSingers’ spellbooks to her own.

Armored Mage (Ex): Normally, armor of any type interferes with an arcane spellcaster's gestures, which can cause spells to fail if those spells have a somatic component. A BladeSinger's limited focus and specialized training, however, allows her to avoid arcane spell failure so long as she wears only light armor and light shields. This training does not extend to medium or heavy armors, or to heavy shields. This ability does not apply to spells gained from a different spellcasting class.

Chosen Weapon: Choose a weapon that you are proficient with, you gain the benefits of the Weapon Finesse feat when using that weapon regardless of whether or not it is a light weapon.

Cunning Initiative (Ex): At 2nd-level, a BladeSinger adds her Intelligence modifier on initiative checks, in addition to her Dexterity modifier.

Bladesong Style (Ex): When wielding her chosen weapon in one hand (and nothing in the other), a BladeSinger gains a dodge bonus to Armor Class equal to her class level, up to a maximum of her Intelligence bonus. If the BladeSinger wears medium or heavy armor, she loses all benefits of the bladesong style.

Lesser Spellsong (Ex): When wielding her chosen weapon in one hand (and nothing in the other), a BladeSinger of 3rd-level or higher can take 10 when making a Concentration check to cast defensively. In addition she may add her class level, up to a maximum of her Intelligence bonus as a bonus to melee damage when wielding her chosen weapon.

Quick Draw: At 3rd Level a BladeSinger gains Quick Draw as a bonus feat, even if she does not meet the prerequisites. If she already possesses this feat, she instead gains a Fighter bonus feat for which she meets the prerequisites.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 4th-level, a BladeSinger can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She cannot be caught flat-footed, nor does she lose her Dex bonus to AC if the attacker is invisible. She still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. A BladeSinger with this ability can still lose her Dexterity bonus to AC if an opponent successfully uses the feint action (see Combat) against her.

If a BladeSinger already has uncanny dodge from a different class, she automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

Spellsong (Ex): Once per encounter, a BladeSinger of 5th-level or higher may quicken a single spell of up to 1st level, as if she had used the Quicken Spell feat, but without any adjustment to the spell’s effective level or casting time. She may only use this ability when wielding her chosen weapon in one hand (and nothing in the other).

This ability increases at levels 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th and 20th. At each such level the maximum spell level that can be quickened increases by one.

Fighter Training:The BladeSinger is constantly practicing with her chosen weapon, when qualifying for Fighter Feats the BladeSinger counts as a fighter equal to her BladeSinger level -4. However if she has a choice of a specific weapon to be applied to a feat, the choice must apply to her chosen weapon.

Spellstrike (Su): When wielding her chosen weapon in one hand (and nothing in the other), a 6th-level BladeSinger can cast a spell with a range of 'touch' from her spell list and deliver the spell through her chosen weapon as part of a melee attack. Instead of the free melee touch attack normally allowed to deliver the spell, a BladeSinger can make one free melee attack with her weapon (at her highest base attack bonus) as part of casting this spell. If successful, this melee attack deals its normal damage as well as the effects of the spell. This attack uses the weapon’s critical range (20, 19–20, or 18–20 and modified by the keen weapon property or similar effects), but the spell effect only deals ×2 damage on a successful critical hit, while the weapon damage uses its own critical modifier.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 6th-level, a BladeSinger gains an enhancement bonus to her land speed, as shown on Table. A BladeSinger wearing medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed.

Strike of the Bladesong (Su): When wielding her chosen weapon in one hand (and nothing in the other), the BladeSinger's chosen weapon gains the Screaming (MiC) special abilitie. The chosen weapon must be of Master-Work quality to receive this benefit, duplicate abilities have no effect.

At 13th level the BladeSinger's chosen weapon gains the Thundering (DMG) special quality.

At 19th level the BladeSinger's chosen weapon gains the Speed (DMG) special quality.

Arcane Strike: At 7th Level a BladeSinger gains Arcane Strike as a bonus feat, even if she does not meet the prerequisites. If she already possesses this feat, she instead gains a Fighter bonus feat for which she meets the prerequisites.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A BladeSinger of 8th level or higher can no longer be flanked.

This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking her, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target does.

If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from another class, the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Intuitive Reflexes (Ex): When wielding her chosen weapon in one hand (and nothing in the other), a BladeSinger gains a competence bonus on Reflex saves equal to the BladeSingers Intelligence modifier.

Song of Fury (Ex): When a 10th-level BladeSinger makes a full attack when wielding her chosen weapon in one hand (and nothing in the other), she can make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack and each other attack made in that round take a –2 penalty. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the BladeSinger might make before her next action.

Greater Spellsong (Ex): A BladeSinger of 10th-level learns to cast more often, keeping in the rhythm and tempo of combat, the BladeSinger can now quicken an additional spell per encounter, as if she had used the Quicken Spell feat, but without any adjustment to the spell’s effective level or casting time. The BladeSinger is still limited on the spell level she can quicken per her Spellsong ability.

This ability increases at levels 15th and 20th. At each such level the BladeSinger can quicken an additional spell per encounter.

Greater Spellstrike (Ex): At 12th-level the Bladesinger increases her ability to deliver spellstrikes, gains the ability to deliver spells with a range other than 'touch' through her chosen weapon. This ability otherwise functions the same as spellstrike, except spells must have a single target.

Song of Celerity (Ex): A BladeSinger of 14th-level has learned to shrug off the bonds that hold most people down, she gains a permanent Freedom of movement effect as long as she is wielding her chosen weapon (and nothing in the other).

Greater Song of Fury (Ex): A BladeSinger of 16th-level has learned the greater song of fury, as a full action the BladeSinger can make two additional attacks in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack and each other attack made in that round take a –2 penalty (this penalty does not stack with Song of Fury). This ability otherwise works the same as the Song of Fury.

Power of the Bladesong (Su): When wielding her chosen weapon in one hand (and nothing in the other), the BladeSinger can bring forth the wrath of the Bladesong, a BladeSinger of 18th level gains a competence bonus to his caster level checks to overcome spell resistance equal to her Intelligence modifier.

Bladesong Master (Su): Upon reaching 20th level, the BladeSinger has achieved perfect unity with the rhythm of the blade in that she transcends her natural form, she becomes a native outsider, gains DR 10/-, she no longer suffers the -2 to attacks from her Song of Fury and can utilize the connection between herself and her chosen weapon allowing her to make melee touch attacks when using her spellstrike or greater spellstrike abilities. In addition, by concentrating for a full round that does not provoke attacks of opportunity she can attune her weapon so that it bypasses any specific DR except Epic.

Edits

12/24/11 - changed BAB from medium to Full

Comments

This was a lot of fun just to do, the blade singer is one of my favorite prestige classes and I always thought it got a sucky deal when it was updated in the CW. So here it is.

I took several abilities from PF classes, Cunning initiative is a Inquisitor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor) ability and Spellstrike is a Magus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus) ability. Likewise I took the base PRC abilities and expanded them from the original version, Gave it Wizard/sorcerer spellcasting up to 6th, increased speed and Dexterity based abilities, like uncanny dodge. I particularly like the ability to gain an additional 2 attacks much like TWF, keeping it in the running with them but with less BAB hopefully the Int to damage and weapon finesse helps bridge that gap.

BelGareth
2011-12-20, 11:48 PM
EPIC Progression

{table=head]Level|Special
21|
22|Song of Death
23|Bonus Feat
24|
25|Epic Spellstrike
26|Bonus Feat
27|
28|Song of Life
29|Bonus Feat
30|Body, Mind and Song
[/table]

Spellcasting: The BladeSinger’s caster level is equal to her class level. The BladeSinger’s number of spells per day does not increase after 20th level.

Bonus Feats: The epic BladeSinger gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic bonus feats) every three levels after 20th.

Epic Bonus Feat List: Automatic Quicken Spell, Automatic Silent Spell, Automatic Still Spell, Energy Resistance, Enhance Spell, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Spell Penetration, Familiar Spell, Ignore Material Components, Improved Combat Casting, Improved Heighten Spell, Improved Metamagic, Improved Spell Capacity, Intensify Spell, Master Staff, Master Wand, Multispell, Permanent Emanation, Spell Knowledge, Spell Stowaway, Spell Opportunity.

Song of Death (Su): When wielding her chosen weapon in one hand (and nothing in the other), the BladeSinger taps into the Song of Death, by Singing between the lines of reality, death and life, the BladeSinger becomes immune death magic and death affects, and uses her Intelligence modifier instead of her constitution modifier for HP's (adjust accordingly) in addition undead are now affected by her critical hits.

Epic Spellstrike (Su): The Epic BladeSinger can make a full attack when she uses her Spellstrike ability, the spell damage is applied to every attack she takes in that round. This works with Song of Fury.

Song of Life (Su): When wielding her chosen weapon in one hand (and nothing in the other), the BladeSinger has mastered the art of singing between the line of life and death, she gains regeneration 10 and is immune to anything that affects her soul adversely.

Body, Mind and Song (Ex): The Bladesinger has reached the ultimate pinnacle of the song, her material form blends and shimmers as if always in motion, as part of a never ending dance. The BladeSinger's reach extends to 30', gains a constant Displacement and Blink affect as the spells that are both (Ex), and becomes immune to spells and affects of the schools of Enchantment and can choose to be affected by spells or affects of the Transmutation school.

Elfstone
2011-12-20, 11:59 PM
Nice. First glance(and I really mean that)....

You have a typo under Spellstrike "touc'"

Also, as written you can take a level in fighter first level and pick up some awesome 1 handed exotic weapon Prof and then take levels in Blandesinger, with it becoming your chosen weapon.

Im fine with that, as it denies you the capstone, but I thought I should let you know anyway.

If I have time i'll stop by later and say more.

BelGareth
2011-12-21, 12:04 AM
Nice. First glance(and I really mean that)....

You have a typo under Spellstrike "touc'"

Also, as written you can take a level in fighter first level and pick up some awesome 1 handed exotic weapon Prof and then take levels in Blandesinger, with it becoming your chosen weapon.

Im fine with that, as it denies you the capstone, but I thought I should let you know anyway.

If I have time i'll stop by later and say more.
Thanks for stopping by, gah stupid typos, i thought i had got them all.

And yes, I intentionally wrote the ability like that so people could use weapon other than the ones given for the chosen weapon. but, thinking about it, it might be a but silly for you to get the benefits from weapon finesse to say...a Dwarven Waraxe.....I'll have to think on that.

I look forward to your more in depth critique.

BelGareth
2011-12-22, 12:50 AM
Ker bumpity

gkathellar
2011-12-22, 08:16 AM
You need to restrict the casting abilities to Bladesinger spells. Otherwise, this class is far more attractive for Ur-Priests and Sublime Chords than for its own purposes.

Meh, nevermind. Didn't see the level restriction on Spellsong.

Some of your text is inconsistent with your table (Arcane Strike, notably).

BelGareth
2011-12-22, 01:02 PM
You need to restrict the casting abilities to Bladesinger spells. Otherwise, this class is far more attractive for Ur-Priests and Sublime Chords than for its own purposes.

Meh, nevermind. Didn't see the level restriction on Spellsong.

Some of your text is inconsistent with your table (Arcane Strike, notably).

*FacePalm* Oh man, you weren't kidding where you.

I had a couple of versions before I pulled it all together, apparently they managed to get by the editing process. I went through the whole thing and fixed all the level mismatches with abilities and even added an ability (greater Spllstrike that, I, apparentlly had omitted...

I've made so many stupid mistakes with this one I may have to put up a version 2.0.....:smallmad:

EDIT: Thanks for reading and commenting, overall how do did you like the class?

Ziegander
2011-12-22, 01:50 PM
I worry that this suffers from the Monk syndrome. It has a LOT of shiny abilities, but what do they add up to? Casting from the entire Wiz/Sorc list with spells known as a Wizard is quite a boon, and may actually be enough to make the class worthwhile with all of the other tidbits it gets, but I can't be sure.

As a melee warrior it suffers from several problems, not the least of which being its poor attack bonus and damage. As a caster, it has few spell slots per day, low save DCs, delayed access to mid-level spells, and no access to high-level spells. As a gish, it does a great job at blending its poor attack bonus and damage with its few, low save, delayed mid-level spells, but I worry that it's still little more than the sum of its lackluster parts.

One little nitpick: You'll want to replace all of those "0s" in your table with "--s", as a 0 in the spells per day column is typically used to indicate a level where the class can get a bonus spell per day of that spell level if the character has a high enough associated ability score. You don't want Bladesingers with Int 22 getting a 6th level spell slot for the day, do you?

BelGareth
2011-12-24, 01:49 PM
I worry that this suffers from the Monk syndrome. It has a LOT of shiny abilities, but what do they add up to? Casting from the entire Wiz/Sorc list with spells known as a Wizard is quite a boon, and may actually be enough to make the class worthwhile with all of the other tidbits it gets, but I can't be sure.

As a melee warrior it suffers from several problems, not the least of which being its poor attack bonus and damage. As a caster, it has few spell slots per day, low save DCs, delayed access to mid-level spells, and no access to high-level spells. As a gish, it does a great job at blending its poor attack bonus and damage with its few, low save, delayed mid-level spells, but I worry that it's still little more than the sum of its lackluster parts.
You bring up some great points, the lower DC issue could be a class fix, giving a slight bonus to DC's to allow them to compete in that area. I believe adding Int to damage is a pretty good option, especially when you combine it with spellstrike and fighter feats like weapon specialization.

But you could be right, it may warrant a change in the class to increase the BAB to full, allowing to compete with other gish classes.

One little nitpick: You'll want to replace all of those "0s" in your table with "--s", as a 0 in the spells per day column is typically used to indicate a level where the class can get a bonus spell per day of that spell level if the character has a high enough associated ability score. You don't want Bladesingers with Int 22 getting a 6th level spell slot for the day, do you?

Ah yes, Fixed that, thanks for seeing that.

And finally thanks for reading and Critiquing!

ithildur
2011-12-30, 01:39 PM
Obviously this is far better, and more flavorful, than the version in Complete Warrior or Races of Faerun... but then nearly anything is better than CW Bladesinger.

How about adding the benefits and drawbacks of Arcane Bond from Pathfinder to the weapon of choice? http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard

Only possible concern is that this is a base class, not a PrC; it's quite high powered for a base class, better than Duskblade and barbarian (though lack of high lvl spells keeps it from being on par with high lvl optimized wizard/cleric/druid). It looks comparable to a Swiftblade, which is a high end PrC. It probably can't compete with something like a well built Abjurant Champion/Spellblade/EK which gets access to lvl 9 spells along with nifty class abilities.

The 2e (original) Bladesinger started at lvl 1 but it was a kit (had ability score requirements)... It had small penalties to using anything other than the chosen weapon, including bows; perhaps that can be added for flavor and balance? Also the movement rate... while somewhat flavorful (highlighting speed/grace) seems overdone (especially increasing it beyond 10 feet); Bladesingers get access to Expeditious Retreat (cheap lvl 1 scroll) and Haste, I don't think you need this.

It might work well as a PrC, with 8/10 caster progression or so along with the usual prereqs (less combat casting and still spell however) and some of the above abilities left out; i.e. closer to a 2e bladesinger/EK as far as spellcasting. The iconic bladesinger Josidah Starym was a lvl 15 caster and able to wield the Artblade while being non 'epic' (15/15 in 2e was well short of the xp needed to reach lvl 20); I would think there might be a bladesinger in a high level campaign somewhere that might want a shot at a by-the-book Artblade (requires wielder to be able to cast lvl 8 spells) someday. :smallsmile:

Or extend the above spellcasting progression to grant lvl 7 and 8 spells (lvl 8 spell at lvl 20); since he gets lvl 6 spells at lvl 16 like a Wiz11, a logical progression would grant a lvl 8 slot at lvl 20, so he can use the Artblade (or try to, and get cursed!)

I may consider switching to this if my DM approves for his campaign, which has some high powered homebrew stuff that's making my ROF/CW blend Bladesinger look rather pitiful.