PDA

View Full Version : V's (now divorced) Wife?

Stille_Nacht
2011-12-20, 11:47 PM
Was there ever any further information on her/him after their divorce in the bonus pages/ non internet comics? i was really interested in that particular sub-plot :/

Zevox
2011-12-20, 11:49 PM
Considering that the divorce papers happened in the current book, that's kind of impossible. You'll have to wait for the western continent story arch to finish up and get published in book form to get an answer to that question.

I wouldn't bet on it though, since V's mate isn't exactly relevant to the story at large anymore.

Zevox

Stille_Nacht
2011-12-20, 11:53 PM
awww ><, i was really excited about character development/ more backstory ><

Chess Tyrant
2011-12-21, 01:11 AM
Also, I think Inkyrius is a he. Male and female characters in OOTS have their eyes drawn at different heights on their head (higher for men, lower for women. Vaarsuvius' eyes are drawn somewhere in between.) Someone measured Inkyrius' eyes, and they're at the proper height for him to be a man.

Incidentally, if true, this also gives us one certainty about V's gender identity/sexual orientation: the red-robed, purple-haired elf who wields pink magic and had adopted children is not a straight male.

Emanick
2011-12-21, 01:28 AM
Also, I think Inkyrius is a he. Male and female characters in OOTS have their eyes drawn at different heights on their head (higher for men, lower for women. Vaarsuvius' eyes are drawn somewhere in between.) Someone measured Inkyrius' eyes, and they're at the proper height for him to be a man.

Incidentally, if true, this also gives us one certainty about V's gender: the red-robed, purple-haired elf who wields pink magic and had adopted children is not a straight male.

How do we know that Vaarsuvius's children are adopted?

Edit: Never mind, V says as much in comic 631. I'll leave this post here in case someone else happens to wonder the same thing.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-21, 01:55 AM
awww ><, i was really excited about character development/ more backstory ><

Maybe Tarquin will grow a mustache and tie her to some railroad tracks.

LuPuWei
2011-12-21, 03:47 AM
Maybe Tarquin will grow a mustache and tie her to some railroad tracks.

I'd read that.

Bulldog Psion
2011-12-21, 05:35 AM
I doubt we'll see him again. Or at least not until the very end of the comic when V goes to ask for forgiveness and gets a pie thrown in his face, or something. A pie full of acid-spitting beetles, no less. :smallwink:

Chess Tyrant
2011-12-21, 05:50 AM
I doubt we'll see him again. Or at least not until the very end of the comic when V goes to ask for forgiveness and gets a pie thrown in his face, or something. A pie full of acid-spitting beetles, no less. :smallwink:

:smallbiggrin:

There's one other way I could see Inkyrius coming back into the comic: we already know the Familicide spell got Tiamat seriously annoyed, and it's possible that once she realizes V no longer has the power to strike back so viciously, she'll order her local cult to get together and burn their house down/soul bind them anyway. (I seem to recall 'let no slight go unpunished' as one of Tiamat's directives; there's no reason to assume she'll let Vaarsuvius have the last word in this.)

And since V didn't stay behind or think to protect them from such an eventuality... boy, that would make for an unpleasant Sending.

Kareasint
2011-12-21, 06:33 AM
:smallbiggrin:

There's one other way I could see Inkyrius coming back into the comic: we already know the Familicide spell got Tiamat seriously annoyed, and it's possible that once she realizes V no longer has the power to strike back so viciously, she'll order her local cult to get together and burn their house down/soul bind them anyway. (I seem to recall 'let no slight go unpunished' as one of Tiamat's directives; there's no reason to assume she'll let Vaarsuvius have the last word in this.)

And since V didn't stay behind or think to protect them from such an eventuality... boy, that would make for an unpleasant Sending.

The IFCC is in trouble for that. Tiamat already got them to agree to take out 5 Good Dragons (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html) for every Black Dragon that was killed. Could Tiamat still go after V's former mate? Yes, she could but will likely hold the incident against the IFCC first.

Chess Tyrant
2011-12-21, 07:38 AM
Why would she wait for the IFCC to kill a few hundred Good dragons before sending V's family to eternal torment to punish him/her? As far as she knows, that's likely to take them decades or centuries, and killing Inkyrius&co is hardly contingent upon these Good dragons already being slain.

In her mind, the IFCC may even bear the brunt of the responsibility, but that's no reason for her to pass up an opportunity to make V's life miserable.

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-21, 07:41 AM
Incidentally, if true, this also gives us one certainty about V's gender: the red-robed, purple-haired elf who wields pink magic and had adopted children is not a straight male.

Being straight or not has nothing to do with his/her gender. FYI.

Kish
2011-12-21, 11:06 AM
Someone measured Inkyrius' eyes, and they're at the proper height for him to be a man.
Pretty sure that's Telephone Game. I've see lots of people say "someone measured," but I've never seen anyone report such measurements first-hand.

t209
2011-12-21, 11:06 AM
I think Inkyrius is a dude because IN OOTS, Male stick bodies have square bottom while female bodies have round bottom. Inkyrius have square bottom. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0629.html)
P.S- For male and female stick bodies, check out at Lien and Hinjo in this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0599.html)

Maquise
2011-12-21, 11:12 AM
I think Inkyrius is a dude because IN OOTS, Male stick bodies have square bottom while female bodies have round bottom. Inkyrius have square bottom. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0629.html)
P.S- For male and female stick bodies, check out at Lien and Hinjo in this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0599.html)

Miko had a square bottom.

SamBurke
2011-12-21, 11:18 AM

And was in armor. Lien is in a barding of some sort (yes, for horses *and* knights, if you're wondering), and perhaps not full plate.

Sunken Valley
2011-12-21, 11:39 AM

The stick changes bottom shape that way.

tcrudisi
2011-12-21, 11:55 AM
Being straight or not has nothing to do with his/her gender. FYI.

You are correct, but you missed the overall point.

If Inky is male (as has been postulated), then that leaves V as either being a straight/bi female or a bi/homosexual male. That means that V cannot be a straight male.

That is all that was being said.

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-21, 03:04 PM
You are correct, but you missed the overall point.

If Inky is male (as has been postulated), then that leaves V as either being a straight/bi female or a bi/homosexual male. That means that V cannot be a straight male.

That is all that was being said.

I understand that. I was simply calling him out on incorrect term usage, since I know people who would be offended by that kind of mistake.

Anyway, who cares if Varsuvius is straight or not?? :smallconfused::smallsigh:

Kish
2011-12-21, 03:32 PM
Inkyrius probably does.

ORione
2011-12-21, 03:33 PM
I understand that. I was simply calling him out on incorrect term usage, since I know people who would be offended by that kind of mistake.

How was the term used incorrectly?

Anyway, who cares if Varsuvius is straight or not?? :smallconfused::smallsigh:

If we can figure out V's orientation and Inkyrius's gender, we can figure out V's gender.

Chess Tyrant
2011-12-21, 04:14 PM
KillianHakEye was correct - gender is not the equivalent of gender identity/sexual orientation. I changed the post to say gender identity. I didn't post about correcting it then, because it had no bearing on the discussion at hand.

Spookymurloc
2011-12-21, 04:58 PM
I think that we'll be seeing them again eventually, the last comic mentioning them didn't have nearly enough drama to be the end of that sub plot. :smalltongue:

Stille_Nacht
2011-12-21, 08:30 PM
I think that we'll be seeing them again eventually, the last comic mentioning them didn't have nearly enough drama to be the end of that sub plot. :smalltongue:

i hope so i do like drama :]

also, i think V is a male, i just get the vibe

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-21, 08:54 PM
If we can figure out V's orientation and Inkyrius's gender, we can figure out V's gender.

Except without a specific statement (which we will surely never get), we will never find out either one of those things simply BECAUSE one will lead to the other.

Fenchurch
2011-12-21, 11:41 PM
KillianHakEye was correct - gender is not the equivalent of gender identity/sexual orientation. I changed the post to say gender identity. I didn't post about correcting it then, because it had no bearing on the discussion at hand.

I hate to be nitpicky, but gender identity is absolutely unrelated to sexual orientation.

About the stick and the bottom shape, I guessed the same. But all paladins are supposed to have the stick... Maybe Lien's is a bit more flexible

Spookymurloc
2011-12-21, 11:58 PM
Except without a specific statement (which we will surely never get), we will never find out either one of those things simply BECAUSE one will lead to the other.

I agree with this. Iirc, the WoG is that V's gender is going to be permanently ambiguous.

zimmerwald1915
2011-12-22, 12:15 AM
I agree with this. Iirc, the WoG is that V's gender is going to be permanently ambiguous.
Which is just another way of saying it will be debated until no one remembers the terms of the debate anymore. And we must all do our part to make sure that day is put off as long as possible.

Emanick
2011-12-22, 02:20 AM

Not quite. Technically you're correct, but as far as I know, the only WoG is from the days before Rich had published any books or (probably) planned out the entire storyline, and as Rich's statement was followed by a "muhahahahahahaha," I don't think we can read much into it.

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-22, 08:00 AM
Which is just another way of saying it will be debated until no one remembers the terms of the debate anymore. And we must all do our part to make sure that day is put off as long as possible.

No, it means that debating is pointless because the Giant will never let us know the answer.

Blas_de_Lezo
2011-12-22, 09:19 AM
Both Vaarsuvius and Inkyrius have an -us suffix, which in Latin only relates to the masculine gender.

We know that Latin exists in the OOTSverse. Here (if they know that there is a "fake" latin, then it's related a "correct" latin): http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0635.html

So I would rather say that both V and Inkyrius are member of the LGITP club (explaining their gender ambiguity, as not all elfs in OOTS are this ambiguous, i.e. Lirian has boobies http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html ) and have adopted children.

Kish
2011-12-22, 09:30 AM
Both Vaarsuvius and Inkyrius have an -us suffix, which in Latin only relates to the masculine gender.

We know that Latin exists in the OOTSverse. Here (if they know that there is a "fake" latin, then it's related a "correct" latin): http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0635.html

I'm sorry, was that supposed to be a therefore clause? Latin exists, therefore Vaarsuvius and Inkyrius are Latin names?

(Not that your second link proves anything exists in the OotS universe, instead of beyond the fourth wall.)

Latin doesn't have the double-a form. Whatever language Vaarsuvius is in--and I'd say "OotS Elvish"--Latin is one language it can't be.

Palthera
2011-12-22, 09:39 AM
I think finding out a gender one way or another would be a let down. Unlike the MitD's species, knowing V's gender will bring nothing to either the character or the story.

Ancalagon
2011-12-22, 10:20 AM
There's actually a bunch of hints in the comic that Vaarsuvius does not indeed have a gender (as in: "at all").

But this question comes down to "What is Vaarsuvius gender?" and that has been discussed to death, beyond, came back to death again, around the corner, back to life, to death, through the earth and around the moon, to life, to death, it went to nirvana and came back again, is alive and now is short before dieing again - but still no conclusion has been reached.

Chess Tyrant
2011-12-22, 02:54 PM
But this question comes down to "What is Vaarsuvius gender?" and that has been discussed to death, beyond, came back to death again, around the corner, back to life, to death, through the earth and around the moon, to life, to death, it went to nirvana and came back again, is alive and now is short before dieing again - but still no conclusion has been reached.

More importantly, there's already a dedicated thread for it - this one's supposed to be about the question "will we ever see V's family again?"

Howler Dagger
2011-12-22, 03:20 PM

So I would rather say that both V and Inkyrius are member of the LGITP club (explaining their gender ambiguity, as not all elfs in OOTS are this ambiguous, i.e. Lirian has boobies http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html ) and have adopted children.

How does that prove that elves use latin roots? Since Rome was a human empire, humans using latin would make more sense that elves using latin? How do we no -us isn't a female suffix in Elven?

Blas_de_Lezo
2011-12-22, 04:58 PM
How does that prove that elves use latin roots? Since Rome was a human empire, humans using latin would make more sense that elves using latin? How do we no -us isn't a female suffix in Elven?

Not elves, but wizards. Wizards tend to adopt long and flashy names by convention (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0127.html).

If Vaarsuvius was a female, his name would be Vaarsuvia instead.

This of course implies that V has an elven name, something that sounds more "elvish" (i.e. Lirian).

Spookymurloc
2011-12-22, 05:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that what the Giant meant by V's gender being permanently ambiguous is that he hasn't decided, and never will decide, what gender V is.

This is just the impression I got from his post, though.

Gift Jeraff
2011-12-22, 05:17 PM
The OP views Inkyrius as a woman; did this really need to be derailed by someone who thinks s/he's a man? Could you imagine if every discussion thread turned into a gender debate because someone used a gender-specific pronoun for V?
I'm pretty sure that what the Giant meant by V's gender being permanently ambiguous is that he hasn't decided, and never will decide, what gender V is.

This is just the impression I got from his post, though.V wasn't supposed to be gender ambiguous. It's just something the Giant decided to roll with.

Peelee
2011-12-22, 05:20 PM
Not elves, but wizards. Wizards tend to adopt long and flashy names by convention (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0127.html).

If Vaarsuvius was a female, his name would be Vaarsuvia instead.

This of course implies that V has an elven name, something that sounds more "elvish" (i.e. Lirian).

"Joe" and "Zoe" are standard names, as are "Bartholomew" and "Elizabeth." They are radically different in size (I chose the shortest - no nicknames - and longest names I could think of off the top o' my head) and sound. Also, There's nothing to say that "Lirian" couldn't be a nickname. "Peggy" is short for "Margaret," for instance, and those two are nothing alike. "Lirian" could easily be a messed-up shortening of a name with the "-us" suffix, or anything else with crazy name usage.

Spookymurloc
2011-12-22, 05:27 PM
I think we've gotten pretty far from the original topic here :smalltongue:

On topic, I think that V's adventures with yakyak (or whatever) in the land of salad dressing may tie in to the family somehow, such as being rescued by his/her master and brought to the elven lands or something.
I could just be totally freebasing random thoughts here though :smalltongue:

Blas_de_Lezo
2011-12-22, 05:27 PM
Let's see it from this side. If V wasn't supposed to be ambiguous and no one refered to V with ambiguity, what gender would you think V to be?

The answer is clear. AND as you know Giant didn't plan V's ambiguity, it was something that just sprout.

As this has been solved, we should go back to topic.

Spookymurloc
2011-12-22, 05:29 PM
Let's see it from this side. If V wasn't supposed to be ambiguous and no one refered to V with ambiguity, what gender would you think V to be?

The answer is clear. AND as you know Giant didn't plan V's ambiguitu, it was something that just sprout.

I actually always thought V was female, just a general impression.

edit: right, back to topic, my bad, don't respond to this :smallredface:

hamishspence
2011-12-22, 05:34 PM
"Spouse" might do.

Zevox
2011-12-22, 06:55 PM
Female.

The answer is clear.
No, it isn't. That's precisely why the ambiguity became a character trait when, as you note, it wasn't planned to begin with - because debate arose among fans over which sex V was. Which can only mean that it isn't clear, and never was. Otherwise there wouldn't have been much debate to begin with.

Zevox

tcrudisi
2011-12-22, 07:12 PM
+1 to everything Zevox just said. (I also agree that I read V as female. I didn't realize there was any ambiguity until I read about it on the forums.) However, now I realize that the answer is not clear.

Animidest
2011-12-22, 07:27 PM
I believe that the -us suffix is just for Elven names of the current time. Lirian was from quite a few years ago, and may (as pointed out earlier) be a nickname. All of the named elves that I could find other than her, such as Vaarsuvius, Inkyrus, Aarindarius (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0630.html), and Polozius (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0742.html), (although "Polozius" is a fake name), all have a name ending in "-us".

jere7my
2011-12-22, 09:25 PM

That's a widely-held misconception. There were indeed feminine second-declension -us nouns in Latin names of trees, for instance. Laurus, quercus, and pinus are all feminine (ironically, in the case of the last one).

There were masculine first-declension nouns in -a, too: agricola, nauta, etc.

Zjoot
2011-12-22, 10:04 PM
I think it's funny how part of the V's gender debate has turned to weather or not his/her gender is even knowable. Is there an official group of V's Genser agnostics yet? Or maybe we have the V's Gender Uncertainty Principal? You can know V's gender or sexual orientation, but not both? :smalltongue:

Anyways, I think the last on-topic strain of conversation was about how Inkyrius could return through some sort of punishment from Tiamat, yes? But, if Tiamat (or possibly a group of her followers) is holding V responsible, wouldn't she just target V directly? I mean, attacking her family didn't work out very well for the last being to try it, so it might be time for a different strategy. So I think V's family is safe from that, but Inkyrius could still return at some point. It seems like some things are possibly starting to be set up for "after the rifts," so we could see some Vaarsuvius/Inkyrius drama there. :smallwink:

Chess Tyrant
2011-12-23, 03:26 AM
Anyways, I think the last on-topic strain of conversation was about how Inkyrius could return through some sort of punishment from Tiamat, yes? But, if Tiamat (or possibly a group of her followers) is holding V responsible, wouldn't she just target V directly? I mean, attacking her family didn't work out very well for the last being to try it, so it might be time for a different strategy.

It's pretty easy to see that Vaarsuvius can no longer effectively defend his/her family - they've lost the demonic power that allowed the first ABD's defeat, and regardless, aren't anywhere near Ivyleaf anymore. Barring aid from Aarindarius (unreliable at best - while I haven't read Origins, I'd guess he also barred Conjuration, probably has his own stuff going on, and really might not care very much) there's really nothing stopping an attack from succeeding.

The reason Inkyrius is a target is twofold: firstly, because Tiamat (presumably) has a thing for cruelty and would delight in making her enemies miserable - and it's a fittingly ironic punishment that because of V's 'overenthusiastic' efforts to protect his/her family, they end up getting killed/soul bound anyway. Secondly, because the gods may have noticed the Gates getting blown up, and wouldn't want to directly attack the Order.

Willis888
2011-12-23, 05:16 PM

If that is strictly true, then V is a biological female. She has a curved bottom in the last panel of 629.

It's not as curved as some others, but if you zoom way in then it's obviously not a 90-degree squarebutt.

*edit*
It's not strictly true. As was mentioned, Miko also had a squarebutt.

thubby
2011-12-23, 05:34 PM
I've always read/referred to v as male.

Kish
2011-12-23, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't take a guess at Vaarsuvius' gender unless I absolutely had to for some reason. However, I find the arguments that s/he is female much more palatable, due to the lack of condescending, "People in this thread appear to think the character whose primary schtick is being gender-ambiguous is actually gender-ambiguous! I will 'splain to them why she is clearly female!" assertions. (And no, it's not because there are fewer people who think Vaarsuvius is female, and it's not because they believe any less fervently; neither of those is the case.)

Howler Dagger
2011-12-24, 02:08 PM
That's a widely-held misconception. There were indeed feminine second-declension -us nouns in Latin names of trees, for instance. Laurus, quercus, and pinus are all feminine (ironically, in the case of the last one).

If its alright with you, I'm going to store this quote for every time someone uses that argument.

Conuly
2011-12-24, 03:53 PM

Not to mention, Latin has five declensions, not two. The 4th declension also ends in -us in the nominative, and has many feminine nouns.

Themrys
2011-12-25, 12:35 PM

The answer is clear. AND as you know Giant didn't plan V's ambiguity, it was something that just sprout.

As this has been solved, we should go back to topic.

The only reason one would think V is male or female is prejudices. Some think "She's wearing a dress and has long (purple) hair-female" while others think "He is an adventurer and his wife raises the kids- male"

What we think proves nothing, since we cannot know whether the author of the comic has the same prejudices.

But regarding Inkyrius...I do hope (s)he returns...and is not stuffed into the fridge. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StuffedIntoTheFridge) :smalleek:

Xondoure
2011-12-26, 02:23 AM
I assumed V was female off the bat purely because of party gender balance and never questioned that assumption until I saw the debate. Now I'd have to say I've started to read V as male but I still like the idea of V being female because as amazing as Haley is she is awfully outnumbered.

Lord Tyger
2011-12-28, 07:53 PM
There's actually a bunch of hints in the comic that Vaarsuvius does not indeed have a gender (as in: "at all").

I think that given that we see Elven children we can assume that they reproduce, and therefore can be argued to have a gender. Whether they have more than one, and whether whatever genders they do have correspond in any meaningful way to human (and apparently Halfling, Dwarf, Orc) genders is still up for debate though.

zimmerwald1915
2011-12-28, 10:59 PM
I think that given that we see Elven children we can assume that they reproduce, and therefore can be argued to have a gender. Whether they have more than one, and whether whatever genders they do have correspond in any meaningful way to human (and apparently Halfling, Dwarf, Orc) genders is still up for debate though.
We can assume nothing. Elves might reproduce by budding for all we know (though the use of the word "mate" argues against this). Furthermore, gender is not strictly, or even necessarily, linked to sex, but comes into being as a relationship that exists in society. It is entirely possible that elven society does not reproduce gender roles.

Lord Tyger
2011-12-29, 12:44 AM
We can assume nothing. Elves might reproduce by budding for all we know (though the use of the word "mate" argues against this). Furthermore, gender is not strictly, or even necessarily, linked to sex, but comes into being as a relationship that exists in society. It is entirely possible that elven society does not reproduce gender roles.

Okay, yeah gender =/= sex. That's my bad. And yeah, no real indication on gender roles in Elven society. Let me rephrase that as we can assume that Elves have sex... (There's got to be a better way to say that, but you know what I mean). Even if they reproduce by budding, that's just saying that the species only has one sex, although, like you said, mate would suggest otherwise.

Hmm. Any indication on whether designations of "Parent," and "Other Parent," are based solely on which parent elven children are talking to, or are hardset (IE, would V's kids address V as Parent or Other Parent).

Murray
2011-12-29, 02:16 AM
If that is strictly true, then V is a biological female. She has a curved bottom in the last panel of 629.

It's not as curved as some others, but if you zoom way in then it's obviously not a 90-degree squarebutt.

*edit*
It's not strictly true. As was mentioned, Miko also had a squarebutt.

Strip 707 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0707.html) gives a good example of effeminate and masculine elven physiques without giving away anything decidedly gender-specific. Compare the body types of the female Azurites to the elves in Strip 706 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0706.html).

Elves could very well be an example of alien genders, meaning more than two genders, or hermaphrodites that choose a gender depending on their mate, occupation or social situation. What if elves only adopt a biological sex when co-habitating, or when in heat?

And like Latin, breast implants exist in OOTS (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0676.html), so that could explain Lirian's sexualized physique.

KoboldRevenge
2011-12-29, 03:03 AM
@^ Yes, but that brings a different possible idea to mind. Perhaps the change, or Choosing the one (Gender), is not such a biological one but physical. (Or magical considering the circumstances.)
Do you think that the Oots world has sex changes? :smallconfused:

when V goes to ask for forgiveness and gets a pie thrown in his face, or something. A pie full of acid-spitting beetles, no less. :smallwink:

Also speaking of pastries Inky does have the skills to make such a pie (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0630.html), and that makes you wonder how Redcloak got his hands on one too (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html)! (gasp):smalltongue:

Manga Maniac
2011-12-29, 03:03 PM
@above: 'Course they have sex changes. All you need to do is wear a belt.