PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of Re-Prints of War and XPs???

amykins3
2011-12-21, 10:51 AM
i missed this book, and have been waiting to find a copy, but they are up to $200 now. any chance of reprinting it, or perhaps a compendium?

martianmister
2011-12-21, 12:58 PM
All other copies are destroyed by fire.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-21, 01:52 PM
All other copies are destroyed by fire.

You mean alchemist's fire.:smallwink:

Vinsfeld
2011-12-21, 03:51 PM
Same thing here. I even found a No Cure for the Paladin Blues for $1000. And it's not just about being ridiculously expansive, I'm Brazilian so when I convert the currencies, it's about 1.8 times even more expansive. The cheapest I found was $300

But I believe I read somewhere in the forum the Giant saying that he intended to reprint some of the books.

EDIT: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222610

The Giant
2011-12-21, 04:37 PM
Please don't pay someone $200-1000 for one of my books. They will all be reprinted, eventually. I had hoped to get one reprinted for Christmas but it didn't work out; best new estimate is first quarter of 2012.

NerfTW
2011-12-21, 07:51 PM
There's a good chance that the $1000 books are not actually in stock at the store selling them. What typically happens is that they charge more than a competitor, banking on word of mouth or just being seen first, and then purchasing the book themselves and shipping it.

A problem arises when two stores do this to eachother with the same book, resulting in an increasing price war. Since it's controlled by a computer program, there's nobody saying "Hey, that's a lot." There was an article I found once about a million dollar text book that had no cap on the price.

Balain
2011-12-21, 11:00 PM
I once found stores selling a paperback book I wanted for ~$700 because of those annoying store programs.

Anyways a local store here still had some Order of the STick books. Not sure which ones. So if you search real hard online you might still find copies if you can't wait for a reprint. It's been months since I was in the store so not sure what they may have eft now but the store is Sentry Box (http://www.sentrybox.com)

MurkyMajare
2011-12-22, 08:21 AM
War and XPs should be available in comic / gaming stores though. Last I checked Amazon has them at normal prices.

No Cure for Paladin Blues though, please reprint this one Giant.
Only one I am missing but cannot afford to pay 200+ usd for it.

Fayolynn
2011-12-22, 10:10 AM
Please re-print all of them (well the ones that are sold out). I finally money set to the side so that I can buy the whole series. :smallbiggrin:

CloakedDancer
2011-12-22, 10:11 AM
War and XPs should be available in comic / gaming stores though. Last I checked Amazon has them at normal prices.

No Cure for Paladin Blues though, please reprint this one Giant.
Only one I am missing but cannot afford to pay 200+ usd for it.

I would very much like a link to where on amazon War and XPs is available for a reasonable price. Last time I checked, which was moments before posting this, the only available copies started at $199.99, which is not a normal price.

Peelee
2011-12-22, 02:19 PM
I would very much like a link to where on amazon War and XPs is available for a reasonable price. Last time I checked, which was moments before posting this, the only available copies started at $199.99, which is not a normal price.

You won't find them reasonably priced, at least not on Amazon. The books are out of print at the moment, and Amazon sold out of the ones they stocked, which means they cannot get any more in until they are put back in print (which was the whole purpose of this thread, trying to find out if and when they will be re-printed). Amazon currently only has 3rd party sellers, who ridiculously overcharge because of the current supply-and-demand. I started my own post on this a few months back, and the answer to that (as well as here, in which Rich himself came in and commented) are that re-prints are planned, and the books will be reprinted - and you will be able to obtain them at a reasonable price - fairly soon.

CloakedDancer
2011-12-23, 10:20 AM
You won't find them reasonably priced, at least not on Amazon. The books are out of print at the moment, and Amazon sold out of the ones they stocked, which means they cannot get any more in until they are put back in print (which was the whole purpose of this thread, trying to find out if and when they will be re-printed). Amazon currently only has 3rd party sellers, who ridiculously overcharge because of the current supply-and-demand. I started my own post on this a few months back, and the answer to that (as well as here, in which Rich himself came in and commented) are that re-prints are planned, and the books will be reprinted - and you will be able to obtain them at a reasonable price - fairly soon.

Right... well he said he had found some on amazon at normal prices, so I was just asking for a link to that. I've been looking for over a year and haven't found anything. Just checking to see if there would be something provided or not.

Peelee
2011-12-23, 11:09 AM
Right... well he said he had found some on amazon at normal prices, so I was just asking for a link to that. I've been looking for over a year and haven't found anything. Just checking to see if there would be something provided or not.

Ahhhhh, my bad, didn't read that one. I'm thinking maybe he either mistook it for Don't Split the Party (which is reasonably priced on Amazon), or "last he looked" was quite some time ago.

EDIT: Though, if there are some reasonably priced War and XPs, yeah definitely link please!

Richard J.
2011-12-23, 01:02 PM
Please don't pay someone $200-1000 for one of my books. They will all be reprinted, eventually. I had hoped to get one reprinted for Christmas but it didn't work out; best new estimate is first quarter of 2012.Lack of your supply means someone's elses profit from our demand. Please try to get those reprints out soon or at least let us do advanced pre-orders. Pretty please?

Though it should be a little flattering to think people are that much in love with your creation. We love your work so much, we'll actually pay scalper prices! (Didn't quite get to $200 but, yeah, my copy of Paladin Blues set me back a bit and it's got a scuffed cover. Totally worth it though.)

War and XPs REALLY needs a reprint. Or a gold-plated director's edition. :smallbiggrin:

Peelee
2011-12-23, 02:40 PM
Lack of your supply means someone's elses profit from our demand. Please try to get those reprints out soon or at least let us do advanced pre-orders. Pretty please?

Though it should be a little flattering to think people are that much in love with your creation. We love your work so much, we'll actually pay scalper prices! (Didn't quite get to $200 but, yeah, my copy of Paladin Blues set me back a bit and it's got a scuffed cover. Totally worth it though.)

War and XPs REALLY needs a reprint. Or a gold-plated director's edition. :smallbiggrin:

Dude, I get your desire to want the books - I'm in the same boat - but he's said in several other threads that there are considerations other than simple demand that are keeping these things from being out right now. He's already said reprints are being planned, was hoping for them to have at least started by now, and is now hoping to expect them sometime early 2012. We sometimes wait up to a week or more for a new strip*, waiting a few months for a book isn't all that bad. Chill out a bit, read the Things You Missed the First Time thread, or engage in some of the insane conspiracy theories around here, and you'll be able to buy the books before you know it.

*not trying to comment on the update schedule, just trying to give some perspective. Giant/mods/forumerswhohavebeenherelongerthanI, lemme know if I should rewrite this part

Raistlin82
2011-12-24, 10:55 AM
I had hoped to get one reprinted for Christmas but it didn't work out; best new estimate is first quarter of 2012.

That is great news.
Working as a flight steward, I've been able to visit many cities all around the world, and everywhere there was a comic book store, or table gaming store, or used bookstore or such, I went and looked for OotS... I couldn't find this book across 4 continents.

Waiting for my WAR AND XP... :smallbiggrin:

NerfTW
2011-12-24, 12:49 PM
Lack of your supply means someone's elses profit from our demand. Please try to get those reprints out soon or at least let us do advanced pre-orders. Pretty please?

Were you around the last time he did a pre-order? Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Most importantly, he needs the money to pay for the books in advance, in which case people would be paying now for something they might not receive for months, and may get delayed. Just look at Snips Snails and Dragon Tails. People were making up random release dates and then others were threatening legal action over the made up release dates despite no release date having been set. (And that's not counting the actual several month delay from the original window)

The issue is not demand at all, and X number of people saying they'll buy it isn't what's stopping the reprints. The best way to get more reprints is to buy other products.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-28, 03:43 PM
Please don't pay someone $200-1000 for one of my books. They will all be reprinted, eventually. I had hoped to get one reprinted for Christmas but it didn't work out; best new estimate is first quarter of 2012.

This is good news. Some of my earlier OOTS books have been lent out and never returned. I'll have to keep an eye out for reprints of the missing ones.

Roland St. Jude
2011-12-28, 04:40 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: I don't think there's anything productive left to be said here, so I'm going to lock this.