Level: Druid 7
Components: S
Casting Time: standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: One or more, no two of which are more than 30 feet apart
Duration: 1 hour/level or until discharged
Saving Throw: Will negates (partial), see text
Spell Resistance: No

Your sense and stewardship of the natural order enables you, with a small gesture, to exile summoned or called creatures.

For the duration of this spell, you can immediately recognize “called” or “summoned” creatures within range. One time during the duration of the spell, you can, as an immediate action, “dismiss” one or more creatures as if you had called or summoned them. The targets of your spell can resist the forced migration with a successful Will save (DC = 10 + your Wis modifier + your caster level); whether or not the save is successful, the spell is discharged.

Almagesto
2011-12-21, 11:34 PM
OK, so I would create two versions of this spell. One version at level 4 that only worked on animals (i.e. just against those brought via the Summon Nature's Ally spell) and that had a maximum CL for the spell of +10. The other version, at level 6, that allowed a +20 CL. Since this is basically a detect magic and dismissal combo, I don't think you should penalize the spell by putting it on level 7. Also, the duration of both versions should be no more than 1 minute per caster level. At the most, I would limit it to 1 hour per caster level. Definitely, however, make it work just on animals.

ShriekingDrake
2011-12-22, 10:17 AM
OK, so I would create two versions of this spell. One version at level 4 that only worked on animals (i.e. just against those brought via the Summon Nature's Ally spell) and that had a maximum CL for the spell of +10. The other version, at level 6, that allowed a +20 CL. Since this is basically a detect magic and dismissal combo, I don't think you should penalize the spell by putting it on level 7. Also, the duration of both versions should be no more than 1 minute per caster level. At the most, I would limit it to 1 hour per caster level. Definitely, however, make it work just on animals.

Thanks. These are good ideas.

I was thinking mostly that druids are about the natural order of things and summoned and called things can disrupt the natural order, which is why I didn't limit this to animals. As summoners themselves, I thought it was not inconsistent to have a spell that gives them a sensitivity to summoned or called creatures.

I put the spell at precisely because it has both functions--knowledge of and dismissal of the called and summoned. This makes it a pretty powerful spell but not too game breaking. It's a little like a very targeted greater dispel magic with a long duration.

I do like the idea of an earlier version. I'll think about that.

I'll change the duration from 24 hours to 1 hour/level, which I think is a solid suggestion.

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Almagesto
2012-08-15, 11:26 AM
You're welcome. BTW, how's the low-level version going?

Vadskye
2012-08-15, 11:39 AM
The spell has an extremely high save DC, to the point that it's basically irresistible. Why are druids incredibly good at banishing summoned and called creatures, while masters of the arcane must be content with the far less powerful Dismissal and Banishment?