PDA

View Full Version : The Adventures of Tintin

Newman
2011-12-24, 01:41 PM
So, it came out yesterday in the USA, right? How well is it doing over there? 'Tis an awesome film from an awesome comic, methinks.

Starscream
2011-12-24, 03:01 PM
I just went to see it on Thursday. Really enjoyed it.

We're planning on a family movie day on Monday, might go see it again. I'm pretty fed up with the whole 3D fad in general, but I hear this is the rare movie that actually uses it pretty well. Did anyone see it in 3D, so they can confirm this? If so, I might splurge for the 3D showing next time just for comparison. If not, no big loss.

Newman
2011-12-24, 04:34 PM
I confirm that the 3D is gorgeous. By the middle of the movie you're beyond willing suspension of disbelief and into... something else.

Lord Seth
2011-12-28, 08:05 PM
I thought the 3D was pretty good, but I've seen so few 3D films that I really can't compare it to anything.

Seraph
2011-12-28, 10:54 PM
the scene transitions were fantastic, the acting was amazing. Only real complaint I have is that it just sort of . . . ends.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-12-28, 11:23 PM
the scene transitions were fantastic, the acting was amazing. Only real complaint I have is that it just sort of . . . ends.
IIRC, Secret of the Unicorn (the basis for the movie) concluded the same way, with Red Rackham's Treasure as the follow-up book.

Starscream
2011-12-28, 11:40 PM

IIRC, Secret of the Unicorn (the basis for the movie) concluded the same way, with Red Rackham's Treasure as the follow-up book.

And as with most franchise films these days, they are planning to make it a trilogy. I heard that the idea is Peter Jackson will direct the second one, and then Spielberg and Jackson will both direct the third.

That news is a couple of years old, mind you, when the first one was just entering production, so who knows if it will actually happen that way.

Lord Seth
2011-12-28, 11:43 PM
IIRC, Secret of the Unicorn (the basis for the movie) concluded the same way, with Red Rackham's Treasure as the follow-up book.True, but Herge knew he was going to have another book to tell the story in. They didn't necessarily know that with this one. Though I do think it works in an "and the adventure continues" sort of way even if there was no sequel.

However, considering the box office so far (worldwide gross of over $250 million!), a sequel is very likely.

Ricky S
2011-12-29, 08:47 PM
It was pretty good but I didnt like the scene where haddock and rackem were fighting with the cranes. It seemed a tad over the top and out of place. Everything else seemed to capture the world of tintin pretty well. The ending was a bit abrupt but I guess they are leaving it open for the sequel.

Newman
2011-12-29, 08:53 PM
It was pretty good but I didnt like the scene where haddock and rackem were fighting with the cranes. It seemed a tad over the top and out of place. Everything else seemed to capture the world of tintin pretty well. The ending was a bit abrupt but I guess they are leaving it open for the sequel.

I thought that was very original, very fun, and totally awesome. Who the hell do you think Archibald Haddock is?

No, the bit I didn't like was his speech back at the port, about overcoming obstacles and breaking walls down and believing in yourself so that others believe in you. It felt like a weird cross between, well, Gurren Lagann, and something that would prompt Kefka to say "YOU SOUND LIKE PAGES FROM A SELF-HELP BOOK". An American one.

I am also unhappy about the near-absence of the theme of genuine articles VS fakes that's essential in Tintin, and the monetization of Tintin and Haddock's successes both as characters and as people.

Lifeson
2011-12-29, 09:05 PM
As a movie on it's own, Tintin is easily my favourite movie this year. Regardless of it's closeness to the original material. :smalltongue:

Sha'uri
2011-12-30, 06:52 PM
I want to see it, but I refuse to see it in 3D. Can hardly afford to go to the movies as is right now, but to see in 3D out by me costs and extra $3 a person, then a small popcorn alone costs $4.50 :smallmad:

Newman
2011-12-30, 10:06 PM
I want to see it, but I refuse to see it in 3D. Can hardly afford to go to the movies as is right now, but to see in 3D out by me costs and extra $3 a person, then a small popcorn alone costs $4.50 :smallmad:

Worth It. Trust me.

Mystic Muse
2011-12-30, 10:09 PM
Worth It. Trust me.

I know you from about ten comments here on the boards, and have had no interactions with you outside of that.

No, I don't trust you.:smalltongue:

I'll watch it when it goes to my 3 dollar theater, or wait for it on Redbox.

Kindablue
2011-12-30, 10:29 PM
I know you from about ten comments here on the boards, and have had no interactions with you outside of that.

No, I don't trust you.:smalltongue:

I'll watch it when it goes to my 3 dollar theater, or wait for it on Redbox.

I was very, very impressed with it. I've seen a half dozen of them and I always thought that 3D movies were just a detracting gimmick until this one. The whole film was fantastic, and maybe the best I've seen all year; it's inspired me to start reading the books.

H Birchgrove
2011-12-31, 03:02 AM
My review. (http://captain-sweden.deviantart.com/journal/Adventures-of-Tintin-with-spoilers-266468175)

Newman
2011-12-31, 05:15 AM
I can assure you that there were large dams in Morocco in that time period (though never so close to the ocean) and that that dam wasn't large at all anyway. The Egyptian dam you're thinking of is so huge, you can't see the other side. It is so freaking dangerous, blowing it up is enough to fully destroy egypt in something like thirty minutes. Which is why them brutally opening the dam like that felt gratuitous and tasteless: you do that sort of thing when there has been way too much rain, and the resulting flood invariably kills people.

As for anachornisms, Tintin stretches from the thirties to the seventies, and hte characters don't age. Plus, it was all worth it for when the owner added a star to the hotel because now it was seaside...

H Birchgrove
2011-12-31, 10:27 AM
Thanks Newman. :smallsmile:

If anyone is interested in the effects of destroying dams IRL, google Operation Chastise. :smalleek:

littlekKID
2011-12-31, 05:59 PM
A very good movie, with a very Indiana Jones feel to it and very loyal to the original comic. It feels very old-fashion, but in a good way
... not much else to say, it's a simple movie

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-01-03, 08:52 AM
Loved it. It captured the feel of the originals very well with the right sort of humour and adventure-y shenanigans. The way they weaved plot elements of Crab with the Golden Claws and Secret of the Unicorn (and others to a lesser degree) was excellent, too.

The only minus I can give it was the animation being very Uncanny Valley at times.

bluewind95
2012-01-04, 01:24 AM
I just watched it. It was... beautiful. I didn't really feel the uncanny valley effect, the animation seemed very natural to me. I also was impressed at the 3D. It was truly gorgeous and worth the extra money. The characters were all believable, the action was pretty great. I dunno, I loved it.

t209
2012-01-04, 03:01 AM
Great movie after reading 5 years of reading the book and watching the animated series.

Newman
2012-01-04, 08:11 AM
I'd have liked it if they had reused the animated series' soundtrack, though. It was awesome, especially for suspense...

Fri
2012-01-04, 08:59 AM
Yeah, it was awesome, but I kept waiting for the animated series intro song to play in the trailer :smallbiggrin:

Moonshadow
2012-01-04, 09:05 AM
I saw it today, and I loved it. As someone who has read all the books multiple times, it was nice to see little references to the other books here and there.

It was very nostalgic for me :smallsmile:

Xondoure
2012-01-04, 11:03 AM
I'd have liked it if they had reused the animated series' soundtrack, though. It was awesome, especially for suspense...

So they did the next best thing and got John Williams to compose the score for them.

Newman
2012-01-04, 01:05 PM
Meh, John Williams has had better days. The soundtrack of Jurassic Park made dinosaurs AWESOME forever after in the minds of all. But here... he didn't even try to give the movie a leitmotif, he just made a generic score of generic adventure. There's no theme of his right now that, upon hearing a measure or two, immediately said "TINTIN" to you.

These songs say "Generic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFyOHDzyJZ0&feature=related)" "Spielbergish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2y8FayC8ho)" "Adventure movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwlee5b4C8I&feature=related)". There's no theme, it's just a bunch of tracks. They could work in Beethoven, or in Star Wars, or in Super 8, just as well. They have no character. They're top-notch, formally perfect... and workmanlike.

This one says... Tintin! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_EK_tFz9ug) The guy who walked on the moon, met the Yeti, found the treasure of lost pirates, blew up quite a few gangs, traffics and conspiracies, defeated dictators (and put his friends instead), and traveled all over the freaking globe using nearly every single vehicle in his era... It says Tintin as surely and certainly as this says The Pink Panther (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhHwnrlZRus) and this says Batman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6frI0Xjufg) (notice how the DCAU uses an altogether different theme, but one that still has a strong (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOSS-ZFDMo4) personality, and you can still see the link with the original).

My complain isn't that John Wiliams didn't base his work on the old theme. My complaint is that he didn't replace it with something new and just as memorable.

Hopefully Peter Jackson will have that fixed?

Kindablue
2012-01-04, 09:09 PM
My complain isn't that John Wiliams didn't base his work on the old theme. My complaint is that he didn't replace it with something new and just as memorable.

It's my understanding that film composers are giving their film with existing sample music laying on top that they're meant to use as a guide in creating the new score. That's the reason why The Planets sounds so overplayed even though most people have never heard the original. Not saying that's a bad thing, just that film music is almost invariably new or memorable, not "and." ;)

As an aside, 2001: A Space Odyssey has an original soundtrack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_Space_Odyssey_(score)), but Kubrick liked the sample music he put in so much that he decided not to use it. (The intended music, written by Alex North, who also did the music for Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and Spartacus, I've never liked. It sounds very... very much like it was written in the '60s.)

Anyway, I really liked the music. It wasn't whistleable (that's a word), but it did give the film a good atmosphere, I thought.

Newman
2012-01-05, 05:54 AM
Anyway, I really liked the music. It wasn't whistleable (that's a word), but it did give the film a good atmosphere, I thought.

That's for sure. That opening really gets the viewer into the spirit of things. So how's the film been doing States-side? Has it gotten the kids into the comics?

Lord Seth
2012-01-05, 01:02 PM
That's for sure. That opening really gets the viewer into the spirit of things. So how's the film been doing States-side? Has it gotten the kids into the comics?I have no idea if it's gotten kids into the comics or how to even assess that, but in terms of box office...see for yourself (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=tintin.htm). Right now it's $53 million domestic, for a film with a budget of about $135 million. Which is kind of weak, but that's about 16% of the total gross because of how stupendously it's done internationally.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-01-05, 01:13 PM
Personally, I absolutely loved it. While it definitely isn't quite the Tintin we know and love from the books, I feel that the film was definitely a labor of love: unlike, say, the Sherlock Holmes movies (where I couldn't believe that the character was Holmes because of the way he was portrayed), this movie clearly knew a lot about the characters and the world, and that definitely showed.

Maybe it's not the comics, but it's definitely a loving, effective, and brilliant tribute to them.

bluewind95
2012-01-09, 06:35 PM
I feel that the film was definitely a labor of love: unlike, say, the Sherlock Holmes movies (where I couldn't believe that the character was Holmes because of the way he was portrayed),

I love you. So much.

I hope they do indeed make a sequel. I'll watch it.

I really was wary about the possible Uncanny Valley effect, but... it really didn't bother me.

Mauve Shirt
2012-01-09, 07:07 PM
Saw it yesterday, thought it was quite cute! I liked it in the beginning when the caricaturist was like "I think I managed to capture your likeness." :smalltongue:
I like Tintin because even though he seems mild-mannered and polite, when push comes to shove he's absolutely fine with killing people. :smallbiggrin: In this movie he seemed to be a lot more of an idiot than I recall from the comics. I also haven't read the comics in years.

H Birchgrove
2012-01-10, 07:49 AM
Saw it yesterday, thought it was quite cute! I liked it in the beginning when the caricaturist was like "I think I managed to capture your likeness." :smalltongue:
I like Tintin because even though he seems mild-mannered and polite, when push comes to shove he's absolutely fine with killing people. :smallbiggrin: In this movie he seemed to be a lot more of an idiot than I recall from the comics. I also haven't read the comics in years.

He didn't kill anyone in the film AFAIK, and certainly not in the comics. :smallconfused: :smallyuk:

Except for some game in Congo... Touchy subject though.

Dumbledore lives
2012-01-10, 07:56 AM
I hope they do indeed make a sequel. I'll watch it.

I really was wary about the possible Uncanny Valley effect, but... it really didn't bother me.

They are almost certainly making a sequel, what with the extremely obvious hook and the about 300 million gross, it was successful enough to warrant one.

I posted most of my thoughts in my blog, in my signature, so I won't say much for now other than in general I enjoyed it, and will see the probable sequel, and that I dislike 3D just as much as I ever have, and feel it added little to nothing to the film.

Kindablue
2012-01-10, 08:25 AM
One thing that's been bothering me:
During the flashback sequence, after Red Rackham takes over the Unicorn, he gets Francis to tell him where the treasure is by threatening to (and later actually) throwing his men into the shark infested waters surrounding the ship. Later on the Unicorn explodes with Francis barely escaping into those same waters and swimming back to land. Was how he got away from the sharks intentionally left ambiguous or am I missing something?

Newman
2012-01-10, 01:09 PM
One thing that's been bothering me:
During the flashback sequence, after Red Rackham takes over the Unicorn, he gets Francis to tell him where the treasure is by threatening to (and later actually) throwing his men into the shark infested waters surrounding the ship. Later on the Unicorn explodes with Francis barely escaping into those same waters and swimming back to land. Was how he got away from the sharks intentionally left ambiguous or am I missing something?

You know One Piece?

You know Rayleigh?

Hadocque is so Bad Ass, sharks give him a wide berth.

Mauve Shirt
2012-01-10, 07:17 PM
He didn't kill anyone in the film AFAIK, and certainly not in the comics. :smallconfused: :smallyuk:

Except for some game in Congo... Touchy subject though.

He shot dudes who were shooting at him, took down a plane with one bullet, and IIRC knocked some dudes into un-survivable situations with his punches.

H Birchgrove
2012-01-10, 11:29 PM
He shot dudes who were shooting at him, took down a plane with one bullet, and IIRC knocked some dudes into un-survivable situations with his punches.

Doesn't mean he did kill them. Cartoon physics and rule of cool.

t209
2012-01-11, 08:41 PM
Did anybody see General Alcazar at the scene where the ship was stolen in Morroco Opera House?

H Birchgrove
2012-01-12, 12:11 AM
Did anybody see General Alcazar at the scene where the ship was stolen in Morroco Opera House?

I believe I did. :smallsmile:

TheTick
2012-01-12, 10:49 AM
Saw it, enjoyed it very much, with little to no knowledge of the source material. I did not see it in 3D as we took my 3 year old with us, who doesn't like to keep the glasses on.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-16, 05:40 AM

What? Where? Can someone link to a picture or something?