PDA

View Full Version : Two Solo Sidequests

DiscipleofBob
2011-12-29, 06:08 PM
I had a 4e game going a while back, and am looking to restart it in 2012 over Skype. We had three players: a rogue and fighter (both human), and a tiefling warlock. Not the most balanced party I know.

We last stopped at level 10 before, and I found a reason to split the party. My main idea is for each character to have a major sidequest that leads into their chosen paragon path.

For example, the rogue (played by my fiance) had to find a way to join an international thieves' guild or risk being "erased," by said guild in a quest that involved finding a long-lost member and daughter of one of the older members. The long-lost member turned out to be the character's late mother and she found proof and one of the rings that members wear at the character's estate.

I have ideas for the other two sidequests, but they're vague and I was hoping for maybe some ideas thrown at me.

The fighter is a fullblade-user and is either going Kensei or Blademaster (I think those are the two anyway). The basic idea I have so far is that a legendary Dragonborn weaponsmith reluctantly takes him in as an apprentice, forcing him to replace six legendary weapons that the party had used before to defeat a powerful demon. In the process, he'd learn the intricacies of magic weapons and eventually forge his own special fullblade. I'm not sure what the actual process is of creating legendary weapons (in the setting, Dragonborns are supposed to have some sort of secret to making weapons that makes them the best, even better than Dwarven craft.) I was thinking of somehow having him fight elemental(s) and imbuing them in the forged weapons.

For the warlock, I tried something different and up until now allowed her to undertake various personal sidequests to get more than one pact, something that's becoming more of a bookkeeping problem for me and the player. The idea I had was that the numerous pacts were ripping her psyche apart from the inside, and she's have to somehow find a way to sever the pacts or gain control of them. Her sidequest would largely take place inside her own mind, so there's a lot I could play with there. No idea what paragon path she's going to go for though. If she decides to sever all of her pacts, I could let her reroll the same character as a different class.

Thaxan
2012-01-03, 08:46 PM
Excellent ideas.
For the fighter, you may also want to direct him to elemental locations. Volcanoes, Glaciers and such.
You may also want the warlock to give up things symbolically connected to her pacts.
Just a few thoughts.