PDA

View Full Version : Strange Lands IC

Revmiren
2011-12-30, 04:52 PM
You awake from your rest and realize immediately that something is wrong. The first thing you notice is the place. You have been transported into a wide, grassy field, surrounded by sparse forests. Although the field seems peaceful and idyllic, your initial confusion is compounded as you notice that you have been completely stripped of all your possessions. Whatever force transported you to this place neglected to bring along your gear, and the ensemble of mighty magics you spent your entire career collecting is nowhere to be found. As you sit up to gather your wits, you realize that you are not alone. Four other beings share the meadow with you, and appear to be just waking from their own slumbers.

(Go! You all can see each if the others clearly, and no one has any sort of magical disguise active. I'll interject if some outside force interrupts you.)

BelGareth
2011-12-30, 05:23 PM
Aughranu Rywar stretched from his slumber, his limbs cracked and popped from the long sleep. He was sleeping longer these days, no short naps, no long days. He had originally thought it to be the lack of alertness that enemies, who had been conquered, required of you. But no, it seemed it was age creeping up on him. He was aware others of his kind did not need sleep, but the creator of his plane had deigned to ignore that aspect, had in fact included it specifically, Rywar had no idea why, but that had how it had been for the entirety of his long life.

He flexed his claws on both hands, sheathing and unsheathing his talons slowly feeling them retract back in his paws. Looking up he saw the sun.

"Ah the sun" he almost purred, but wait, something was amiss, that was NOT his sun. Looking around he instantly realizes the whole place is different and this is not the juniper tree he had laid against to sleep. The grass, was different, smelled different, the sky still bared its stars from the night and those were foreign, he could not identify even one of the star signs.

Shaking his head, his huge hairy mane waved in the breeze and then he saw the others. 4 others to be exact, apparently doing the same thing as he, waking up in a strange place.

And then it hit him, his items were missing, his medallion, the circlet given to him by the Goddess of the hunt, his bow, and his bracers...all gone.

But I was supposed to pick my predecessor today! Oh gods, What has happened?

Standing but keeping to a squat his forearms hanging between his legs, hands touching the ground he looks at the others and shrugging he speaks.

"I am Aughranu Rywar, Pride Leader of Kiralanaw, Champion of the Huntress, Master of the planes. It seems we have been deposited here without anything but our own selves to take care of."

He can obviously see one being is of evil origin, but says nothing of it.

With the introduction apparently done with Rywar looks about seeing if he can't spot anything of interest, other than themselves.

Spot [roll0]

Caylus
2011-12-31, 06:36 AM
Tom looked at the huge cat in front of him.

He looked again.

What the Hell was going on?

He looked frantically to his left and right. His master was nowhere to be seen.

"191811 times 1431611 is..." He muttered. He couldn't calculate the answer, a sure sign that his Master was either dead, or otherwise permanently removed.

"Damn it... Does anyone know what's going on?"

Revmiren
2011-12-31, 03:15 PM
Aside from the other four sleepers, Aughranu sees only a few birds and a deer. The meadow and the surrounding forest are completely untouched by civilization.

Upon closer inspection, something seems off about the trees. Unfamiliar sky aside, the area could be any of a dozen temperate forests that Rywar had visited. However, certain patterns repeated themselves in the bark of the trees and the shape of their branches, patterns that, although they had clearly grown that way, were much too regular to be natural. Aughranu had never seen the patterns before, but they were similar to religious imagery he had encountered in the faiths of nature-worshipping sects.

Blackfish
2011-12-31, 06:37 PM
Isyllt awoke with a start at the sound of voices. Her eyes opened, and she looked around, quickly taking in the area and creatures around her. This was definitely not her small mountain kingdom, and none of these creatures had the look of any of her retainers.

"Right, where are am I then? A prisoner again? No, not a prisoner. Who are all of you?"

She takes a moment to concentrate, shifting to her typical human form.

Anything detectable through mindsight on our plane, or by sight on any of the following (material/ethereal/shadow/astral) connected planes?

1 use of Change Shape to look like the character picture, minus possessions.

BelGareth
2011-12-31, 07:24 PM
Looking to the ground for the small voice Rywar is surprised to see a talking cat, although not altogether strange, as he himself was of feline origin.

"Damn it... Does anyone know what's going on?"

"It seems that no one knows what is going on"

His head turns to the side to take in the newcomer, her shape changed quickly as she got up, but it was obvious to Rywar what she was.

"Right, where are am I then? A prisoner again? No, not a prisoner. Who are all of you?"

"Again, My name is Aughranu Rywar, Pride Leader of...well I guess it doesn't matter what I was, just that we are here and have apparently been drawn here for some unknown reason."

Shrugging his shoulders he moves to the trees to inspect them closer. "All I can see is that these trees have some strange patterns on them"

Search [roll0]
Knowledge Religion [roll1]

As he does so he stands to his full height, an impressive 7'1, he doesn't seem to care about not wearing any clothes, and seems even comfortable in nothing but his fur.

Revmiren
2011-12-31, 10:38 PM
Isyllt doesn't detect any sentient minds in range, and the ethereal and astral planes are empty. The Plane of Shadow seems somewhat darker than usual, and Isyllt can make out what appears to be a Nightwalker moving through the forest on that plane several hundred feet away.

The patterns on the trees are intricate, stylized representations of fire, water, winds, and stone, along with various animals and trees. They seem to emerge naturally from the form of the plants, and are appear in various forms in every tree that Rywar can see. Although the general theme of the images is common to almost every nature revering religion he knows, the specifics don't match anything the pride leader has ever seen.

GuyFawkes
2012-01-01, 01:51 PM
Unkempt Middle-aged Man

The last thing he remembers is drinking his hundred and fiftieth mug before his eyes gives out on him, and the last thing he sees is a pair of huge breasts inching closer and closer to his face. Or is it his face inching closer and closer to them, he could not remember. Most probably the latter, as is usual when he passes out after a night of merriment, when he would drink amounts that are normally impossible to drink up, and almost always he collapses conveniently onto the bosom of a lady. Reflex as he likes to call it.

Flashes. Scenes. Static. He is in a familiar scene. He is young then, and is running, holding a woman by one arm. They are in a hurry. They look like they are in some sort of emergency. No, more like because of fear; they are being pursued by lots of men. He now knows how this ends, and he tries to make for another direction, but his body would not listen.

They end up inside an abandoned house, and he holds the woman in a tight embrace, whispering words to her, words he now knows are all lies. That he would protect her, that they would be fine. Then suddenly, flames spread so fast, and everything is in flames all around them. He hears her scream.

He wakes up.

That dream again, he thinks to himself as he tries to shift his position to place his hands around the wench he slept with. Instead of warm and supple skin, he feels something cold and long. His hands creep up and down and he shifts to his other side, but all he feels is the same texture.

He opens his eyes and is blinded by the light. Sunlight? He slowly props himself up into a sitting position, covering his eyes as he allows them to adjust. When he does, the first thing he sees is grass.

Grass? He looks around. More grass. Trees. The open sky.

"Oh crikes!" He proceeds to look around for his stuff. None. "You could never trust a pretty face these days, huh," he whispers to himself as he stands up and brushes his clothes of grass and dirt. "At least they had the decency to leave me with my clothes on," he muttered with a dismissive smile and a shake of the head.

He then notices four others nearby. He squints, rubs his eyes, and does a double look. A cat, a feline humanoid, a winged creature, and a lady, talking to each other in the middle of nowhere. Huh. I must still be dreaming. He approaches the group, and, keeping his eyes on the lady, bows flamboyantly as he speaks.

"Good day, gentlemen, lady. Pardon to interrupt your conversation, but does any of you happen to know where Ollimmar would be from here?"

BelGareth
2012-01-02, 12:54 PM
Rywar turns to regard the human, it seems he had finally awoken and just in time to ask another question that no one here seemingly would know.

"Ollimmar? I'm afraid I have never heard of it, is it a man-city where you dwell?"

He motions to the others and continues "It seems we have all been transported here for some unknown reason, I would suggest we help each other. But as of right now there is nothing...to do" he gestures to the wide open field and the sparse wooded area near by. "I for one feel like flexing my leg muscles."

With that he gives off a low growl and lopes off in any direction, intent on running fast and scouting out the area.

Standard movement is 90ft, so he'll double move for 180 a round, intent on finding some kind of land mark or sign of life. He'll move in a circular pattern around the group.

GuyFawkes
2012-01-02, 08:54 PM
Unkempt Middle-aged Man

A confused look registers on his face as the feline looking humanoid talks about being transported. As he opens his mouth to ask a question, the latter goes running off, and he faces the others.

"Transported? Whatever do you mean? Could someone fill me in?" A lazy smile manages to creep back into his face.

Revmiren
2012-01-03, 06:34 AM
The winged man appears to still be sleeping, so Procas is left with the housecat and the attractive woman.

Rywar has barely begun his circle when he finds something. About 200 feet east of the clearing a man is moving through the woods towards the group. He is dressed in camouflage patterned leather armor, carrying a longbow, and appears to be attempting to creep stealthily through the forest. His attempts at stealth are an abject failure, and the golden badge or emblem that he is wearing on the chest of his armor makes them almost laughable. Although Aughranu is making no particular effort to be stealthy and is moving at a rapid pace, the man has not yet spotted the leonal. You are still about 150 feet away and roughly between the man and the clearing.

Blackfish
2012-01-03, 02:03 PM
Isyllt watches the strange feline man run off into the surrounding trees, head cocked slightly to the side. When he disappears into the treeline, she turns to answer the confused man.

"Transported. As none of us are where we should be, it stands to reason that some power has brought us all here. None of us seem to know why we are here."

She seems to remember something. "Oh, names! I'm Isyllt, what about you?"

BelGareth
2012-01-03, 04:12 PM
Aughranu smiles as he sees the man trying to be covert in his movement towards the group of strangers. Not wanting the first contact with the local populace, or what could be the local populace the big Loenal stands and moves toward the man with his arms up, signaling, that he can see the man and he means no harm.

Once he is within range, (1 round) he speaks to him with both hands out towards him in the universal sign of peace:
"Well met! My name is Aughranu Rywar, I seem to be a stranger in these lands, do you live here?" looking back to the group "It seems a group of us have been transported here, and we know not where here is."

He tries his best to sound as genuine and polite as possible, he had met man-things before with terrible outcomes and wanted to avoid that at all possible.

Diplomacy [roll0]

Revmiren
2012-01-03, 05:35 PM
The man starts in surprise when he sees Rywar, and has an arrow halfway drawn before the celestial being's peaceful words and obviously unfamiliar appearance register. Rather than completing his draw, the man whispers into a ring on his right hand. He speaks quietly, clearly not meaning to be overheard. Rywar can make out the words easily and recognizes the language as Draconic, although he cannot understand what is said.

The man then lowers his bow, straightens, and addresses Aughranu in strangely accented but perfectly comprehensible Common.

"No honest man would make his home in this evil forest. If you are a stranger in this land I have no quarrel with you. You have had the misfortune of being transported into the Kingdom of Alair, and you are lucky that I found you before the denizens if this cursed forest did."

He speaks the name Alair in a dramatic tone, and pauses weightily after saying it as if expecting you to quail in fear at the revelation.

Now that you are closer, you can see that the badge is not gold but brass, and bears the emblem of a dragon's head, several numbers, and a minutely inscribed phrase in calligraphic Draconic. The way the man handles his weapons reveals that whatever his shortcomings at stealth, he is a very competent warrior.

BelGareth
2012-01-03, 06:37 PM
"Kingdom of Alair?" Rywar repeats, almost to himself.

"I am sorry to say, but I have never heard of such a place." he thinks for a moment, the mans actions didn't seem to be overtly out of place and he didn't feel as if the man was lying, "Perhaps we should go to the others and discuss what is going, while I do not know them, I am sure they will want to know of this place also."

He gestures towards the rest of the group as if to initiate motion towards them. "Tell me about the forest, what kind of creatures lie within it?" he asks as they move towards the others.

Revmiren
2012-01-03, 08:19 PM
The man looks at you oddly when you say you haven't heard of Alair, and hesitates when you suggest going to join the others, mumbling to himself in Draconic and nodding his head at nothing before agreeing.

"I'm no expert. Truth be told, no one knows much, and those that poke too deep don't come back. Strange monsters and evil plants are everywhere. The real problem though, that's the elves."

At this he turns and spits on the forest floor in disgust.

"Always knew they was trouble. Slippery things, thinkin' they're too good for an honest deal or the straight truth. Course, I never thought they'd go as far as they did..."

The man is rambling a bit, and is distracted by his continued suspicious observation of the surrounding forest.

"That political stuff's all a bit more'n I can handle though. Simple man I am. Straitforward. I know this if I know anything though, is we'd best get you civilian types back out of here in case there's trouble starts."

By the time the man has exhausted his monologue, you are almost back to the field you first arrived in.

(Speaking of lying, general note: I'll usually make passive checks like Sense Motive or reactive Spot and Listen checks for you, and just pass on the results.)

GuyFawkes
2012-01-03, 10:38 PM
Unkempt Middle-aged Man

His face creases up into thought. He immediately focuses on retrieving his weapons, but could not seem to find them. He looks up, and notices the skies are indeed different from the skies of Dannara; there is only one sun for instance, whereas Dannara has two. "I see. Thought I got thrown out in the middle of nowhere after being robbed, heh heh," the second sentence more of mumbling to himself than to the others.

When the lady introduces herself, he quickly goes forward, beaming. "Ah, a lovely name for such a lovely lady. A pleasure to meet you, Miss Isyllt. Procas, at your service, " he says as he holds her hand and kisses it.

BelGareth
2012-01-04, 01:14 AM
Rywar listens intently to the man as they walk back to the clearing, soaking in the information the man was divulging to him. Something about elves, political fallout and evil plants. Then the man called him a civilian in a manner as if Rywar could not handle the animals, monsters or combat.

Rywar started to laugh, he looked to the man and grinned, the problem with that is, cats even large ones, including Guardinals, don't smile all that well. It comes across as an intimidating grimace of teeth, like a growl without the noise. It, to Rywars experience, takes Man-things several passes of the sun to get used to it.

Slapping the man on the back Rywar explains his actions to the man "You mistake me man-thing! I am fully capable of protecting myself, my kind has been prowling the plains battling evil in all its forms for eaons. Why just the other day I did battle with a..." he pauses seeing that he was among the others to have awoken like him. "Ah yes, these are the others I was talking about." he says, moving on and ignoring what he was about to say. "This man-thing has some interesting information, he says we are in the Kingdom of Alair and to beware the forest."

Once the man is engaged with the others, Rywar drops to the ground in a squat, hanging his forearms down to the ground, he combs the grass with his large paws as he listens.

"Oh yeah, and he keeps talking into his little brooch, Draconic if I'm not mistaken, unfortunately one of the few languages I do not speak."

Revmiren
2012-01-04, 03:23 AM
The man is absolutely unphased by Rywar's toothy grin, and speaks into his ring again as the two enter the clearing. Procas can understand his words.

"Three more of them here, including a woman. They're all unarmed and one looks to be unconscious... No, all the rest's humans, but the sleepy one has a set of wings... Nah, they's all white and feathery... Got it."

Procas and Isyllt can tell a great deal about the man just from looking. From the way he stands and carries his weapon, he is obviously a prossional soldier, probably from an elite or veteran unit. His nervous glances reveal that he is nervous about the area, but his unconcern with the Leonal's wide and toothy grin indicates that he is used to interacting with large and ferocious beasts. Finally, the way he is staring indicates that he is very much attracted to Isyllt.

With those sense motive checks you're basically both Sherlock Holmes when it comes to this sort of thing...

Blackfish
2012-01-04, 03:46 AM
Isyllt smiles sweetly at Procas, and attempts to discreetly check the status of the Nightwalker she noticed earlier. She makes a half-hearted attempt to smooth her clothing, no doubt dirtied from her nap on the ground.

"Such a gentleman, I'm sure the pleasure is mutual. Might I ask where you were stolen away from?" She stops as Rywar enters the clearing with the soldier, taking a moment to confirm his identity through her telepathy. "We'll have to continue later, Procas."

As the man starts speaking in Draconic, Isyllt takes a moment to concentrate, quickly laying several enchantments on herself.

Several things.

1. She used the Tongues SLA and projected the Beguiling Influence Mage-Knight aura. She can now speak and understand all languages, and allies within 5 ft. of her (and her) get a +20 bonus to intimidate, bluff, and diplomacy.

2. She scanned the soldier through telepathy with her Mindsight. It automatically allows her to determine the creature type and intelligence score of anyone with a functioning brain who enters her telepathy range.

3. Can I use diplomacy/bluff/intimidate to subtly influence someone through telepathy? Whispers in the mind, or even normal conversations that would act much the same as they would spoken out loud?

GuyFawkes
2012-01-04, 04:48 AM
Procas

He is about to open his mouth to answer her query but stops midway, turns around to see what caught the lady's attention, and spots Rywar and a human coming along.

"Ah, it seems you are back with some friend. Greetings, sir," he starts as he walks towards the feline humanoid and his new companion. "My name is Procas. I am just a humble traveler who seem to have lost his way. I assume you are not from here as well, but you do know of these parts, correct? Well, we could surely use your help to find our bearings, mister...?"

Revmiren
2012-01-04, 09:47 AM
Isyllt determines that the man is indeed humanoid, and has an intelligence of 11. The Nightwalker has moved away through the forest, apparently oblivious to the goings-on of the Prime Material.

(You can use telepathy to do that, although perceptive or knowledgeable individuals will recognize what is going on and may even pinpoint you as the source.)

The man manages to tear his eyes away from Isyllt, and draws himself up into a military stance before replying to Procas.

"I am Legionnaire Adern Krytz, honored to serve in the Third Legion if the Brass Dragonguard, proud agents of the will of the Emperor hisself, glory-to-his-name."

He reels of the last phrase in a rush, as though he has said it ten thousand times before.

"As to knowin' the area and getting yer bearings, I'm afraid I can't help much. Captain Gertz is bringing up th' three-eighteenth just behind me though, he'll get you straightened right out."

GuyFawkes
2012-01-04, 10:46 AM
Procas

"But of course, a Legionnaire! It is a great honor to have met you, sir!" he exclaims as both his hands clasps one of Adern's hand and shakes it, his face showing a smile that says he knows of that fact even before the latter spoke of it, if one were able to read much into a man's smile.

"Well then, I guess we should meet up with this Captain Gertz. Would that be possible? We wouldn't be interfering with anything important that you are currently tasked with, would we?"

Revmiren
2012-01-04, 03:22 PM
The soldier seems a bit bewildered by Procas' warm welcome, but regains his com posture quickly as talk turns to business.

"Gertz is on his way, wants to make sure yer all alright. We're supposed to be scouting out the lay o' the land and such, but we ain't doing no good at all at that. Nothin's turned up. Whole forest, dead quiet. Downright eery if you ask me..."

(Keep talking if you want to try getting more out of Adern, otherwise we can fast forward a bit to when Gertz gets here.)

BelGareth
2012-01-04, 04:30 PM
Rywar waits patiently for the man-things pack leader.

Caylus
2012-01-04, 05:12 PM
I'm sorry for my... lack of concentration on the conversation. This business has been a lot to take in. I'm Tom by the way, nice to meet ya all. Can someone fill me in on the general picture of this Legion? I'm afraid that when I'm removed from my master, I tend to forget a lot...

He shakes his head violently, as if that would make him remember.

Sinpoder
2012-01-04, 07:54 PM
Suddenly, another man would wake up, his white hair flowing behind him as he looked around to see what was going on. He could not feel anything, but what he saw surprised him. He saw two humans, a Devil, and a fellow Good Outsider. Sammael would hold his head as he had a spiting headache, something completely new to him and his near god-like ability.

Sammy would then rise to his feet, wearing only a silver robe, as he would hear everything and anything on this plane. Sin would then look right at the Devil, knowing exactly what she was, but lucky for her he was not a paladin so he was not required to kill her on sight. Sin could easily see who had a higher intelligence he did, and that was nearly everyone which Sin was use to. He also could see the Nightwalker and her would then walk behind everyone.

They would see him standing nearly 11 feet tall, as his sets of wings were widely spread. Sin looked at his man and said simply I have no idea why it took me so long to wake up, but to everyone here I am Sammael, The Watcher.. can someone please tell me what i am doing with you guys.... last thing i remember was i was with a extremely attractive angel and now i am standing with an extremely attractive devil.

GuyFawkes
2012-01-05, 12:16 AM
Procas

"Ah, it seems our friend is awake now. Well met, Sammael! A celestial, I presume? And aye, I feel I share your predicament," he says with a sideways glance at Isyllt and a wink and a grin at the winged creature. "And mister Tom, the cat? Hello, hello! As it appears, we have all been brought here without anything on us, by something or someone we do not yet currently know."

He pauses a bit, as if lost in thought, then quickly bounces back to his cheery demeanor and goes back to Adern. "Right, sir Krytz. Shall we get going or will we be waiting here?"

Sinpoder
2012-01-05, 11:42 AM
Suddendly Sammael would then look at this man, the man that was new and was the only one armed with manufacted weapons. He would then walk right up to him, his two sets of wings spreading, his angelic wings and his blood red phoniex wings. Hello my good sir.... if you could do me a favor and point me into the direction of the largest city in this area... i must be getting some of my lost equipment back and i figured that would be the best way to find it. Sammael would of course not be actively trying to imtimidate him, but he was nearly eight feet tall and had two sets of wings so it would not be hard for him to intimidate anyone that was not perpared for his aura of power.

( OCC: I am really serious... no intimation check.. he is just that big and having two sets of different color wings freaks some people out.... one of the sets are on fire i think..)

Revmiren
2012-01-05, 03:19 PM
Arden is entirely unimpressed by Sammael's wings. Isyllt and Procas note that this reaction is not normal at all for the average person.

"We gotta sit tight here, the column is coming up in 10 minutes or so. As to th' nearest city, Vergard is just about thataway,"

He gestures vaguely to the southwest.

"But don't worry none about that. We'll lead you out if here safe and sound."

(Sinpoder: include a list if your various methods of perception up by defenses so I can fill you in on extra things you see. Everyone who has magical or extra normal perception methods on continuously should have this, otherwise you might miss important stuff.)

Blackfish
2012-01-05, 03:43 PM
Isyllt approaches the man, smiling in a friendly and non-threatening manner. Hopefully all the talk of devils wouldn't cause any problems. "My apologies, friend, but I doubt any of us knows anything about your world. Would you be so kind as to tell us more about Vergard and whatever military you follow?"

Effective Diplomacy roll of 86.
Take 10 + 56 bonus + 20 from my Mage-Knight Aura.

As she speaks aloud, she also begins a seperate conversation with the rest of the group mentally.

"I do not like this. This man is either used to dealing with beings such as us or is not all that he seems. Either way he is dangerous, and I would not like to subject myself to the mercy of an entire division of men such as him. I suggest we make our own way to Vergard, perhaps in disguise, to see what awaits us in this world."

BelGareth
2012-01-05, 03:45 PM
Rywar raises an eyebrow when the celestial being awakens and spreads its wings, strange to say the least.

Staying in his crouched posture, it would seems he was the most comfortable in. he greets the being.

"Well met Angel, I have great respect for you and your kind. But I am curious, I don't think I have ever seen your kind before? You do not look like a Deva nor a Movanic, and there's definitely nothing Monadic about you."

After receiving an answer he turns to the man thing, his curiosity peeking like the hackles on his back.

"And where will we be 'taken' by your pack-leader? What happens if I want to go somewhere else?"

He was starting to get the distinct impression that the man-thing before them wasn't letting up all that was going on. Not for the first time, Rywar wished he could detect evil like some of his brethren could.

"I do not like this. This man is either used to dealing with beings such as us or is not all that he seems. Either way he is dangerous, and I would not like to subject myself to the mercy of an entire division of men such as him. I suggest we make our own way to Vergard, perhaps in disguise, to see what awaits us in this world."

He winces visibly at the sudden intrusion of his thoughts, he was not used to such a thing, especially from a being of evil.

I agree

He thinks simply, not wanting to maintain the connection any longer.

Revmiren
2012-01-06, 06:58 AM
(Isyllt speaks)

"Well, Vergard is one uh the bigger cities in the West, where all the trade with the elves used to go through. Course it's basically one big army camp now, what with all the Imperial Guards that've been mustered. Useless bastards. Shoulda left this one to the Dragonguard."

"As to my outfit, we're the third legion of the Brass Dragonguard, service to Lord Agaer'istyllax'trvanisoth'ryzelliek."

Those of you who speak Draconic recognize the form of the name, a dragon's personal name along with a list of titles, appellations, and ancestors. The name indicates that the lord is a great wyrm brass dragon, whose titles include Brass Patriarch and Warden of the West.

"Dragonguard's the finest human fighting force in the Empire, and I'd match the Brass Third against any legion from here to Maerkesh."

You can tell he is speaking the truth, although you sense he might be exaggerating somewhat about his own legion's status.

(Rywar speaks)

"Don't rightly think we'll be takin you anywhere. Might not be doing much good in here, but we got our orders to scout the forest, so we has to be scouting the damn forest. Can't turn the whole company around and march on back just on account of you all, unfortunately. No, I reckon the captain will give you a teleport back to civilization and have us keep right on going. Well..."

Here he pauses speculatively.*

"More likely give you a teleport after lecturing you for three hours about the glories of the Empire. Ol Gertz does love to talk, and when he hears you don't know nothin about anything that'll set him right off."

GuyFawkes
2012-01-06, 10:26 AM
Procas

"Do not worry, mademoiselle. I do not think this man means us harm. Perhaps this...whatever happened to us maybe somewhat common here. Maybe that's why he's not too surprised with Sammael over there, or the rest of us."

He stops to listen as the legionnaire explains what would be done to them and looks again at Isyllt.

"See? We will be fine. I hope so," he grins and runs his hands through his hair. "But I guess I hold no power over you on whether you should stay or not, though I would deeply love it if you would keep us company longer. Teleportation is the fastest way to travel after all, and we'll be getting it for free. And if ever things ever turn for the worse, it is in my greatest opinion that you could handle yourself very well," he winks at her before turning to Adern again.

"Pardon the anxiousness of my comrades, sir. If one was brought to a rather foreign place without his knowledge and without anything on his person, wouldn't it be a rather vexing ordeal?"

He moves in closer to the legionnaire and continues. "Since we have time, what better than to spend it on being informed about your great Empire, so that we may avoid hours of lecture from your Captain, no?" He grins at the man and continues, "For instance, what could possibly put someone as capable as yourself on your toes in these parts? Or the cause to send a whole legion as a scouting party?"

Revmiren
2012-01-06, 11:24 AM
"Whole legion? Scouting force is just a few companies, making sure theres no big ambush waiting. Rest of us is back at Vergard, babysitting Imperial Guards. And any man knows to be on his toes when dealing with elves. Slippery things, even at best of times. And we ain't exactly a peace delegation."

"As to what brings us out here, well, they's tried to kill the Prince. Snuck assassins right into the Imperial Palace. Praetorians only just caught them, and the Emperor, glory-to-his-name, was right put out. I don't know all the ins and outs of what went on, but I know the elves won't admit they done wrong, and we're gonna march right down to Eldalond and set em straight."

BelGareth
2012-01-06, 11:41 AM
Rywar had been lying on the ground, rolling in the grass, getting the feeling of the land. It felt...different. Sighing he listened to the man-thing rumble on about this and that, his glorious emperor and such.

This was why he chose not to stay in the large man-lairs, too big, too loud, he preferred the plains, or a nice tree, enough open space to stretch ones legs out in. This man thing was full of pride, if he was a measure of the elite forces here, Rywar was saddened for the man-things here, he talked of the old-ones as if they where evil? maybe it was the man-things that persecute them and they defend themselves. Rywar had seen the man-things do that a lot, thinking they were acting righteous.

Sighing with his hands behind his head and lying on the grass, Rywar kept on listening to the large ego'ed man thing talk to the man-thing who had awoken with him, at least he wasn't so boastful, although he seemed to only have reproduction on his mind, perhaps he needs to procure a young one to ensure his virility? Rywar shook his massive head and the huge mane with it, grinning from ear to ear as he did so.

"Man-thing, what have the Elves done to deserve such disrespect?" Rywar spoke, in hopes of inflaming the man-thing with his uncontrollable urge to explain things as man-things did. And this one's ego was sizeable.

Revmiren
2012-01-06, 11:54 AM
Adern seems a bit upset at Rywar's question.

"Well they tried to kill the Crown Prince, din I just say? Heir to the Empire, Son of the Sun, firstborn of the Emperor, glory-to-his-name, and a gang of them comes sneaking into the palace and try'n blast him to pieces! Had to bring in a high priest from Misalin to put him back together when they was done. Dozen praetorians die catching em, and we get eight dead assassins, elves all. Plain as day someone in Alair was behind it, but they gives us the run-around and try to say they didn't do nothin! Well. We's gonna get to the bottom of it, one way or another."

BelGareth
2012-01-06, 12:10 PM
Rywar throws a mighty paw in the air as if to dismiss what he had just said, "No, not that, I heard you say that. I was talking about before that, what did they do to want to do that?"

He half expected the man-thing to attack him, which of course would amuse him just as much as frustrating the man, he wasn't doing it on purpose, but he did enjoy a good show.

He knew that elves, well mostly, wouldn't just attack a crown prince with out provocation, but perhaps these were not normal elves, maybe, they were akin to the Drow that he knew off?

Could this world be so different?

He knew other worlds existed, but then why was he transported here, and for what cause?

Seeing the frustration on the man-things face, he decides to try and calm him. "I'm not being trying to be rude, I'm curious what started this feud between the two of you, how it started?"

GuyFawkes
2012-01-06, 12:28 PM
Procas

"Aha ha ha! My mistake, my mistake. I am not too keen on the workings of the military, I often mistake one term for the other. But that is terrible news. War is never good," he shakes his head and pauses for a bit, as if deep in thought.

He looks at the feline humanoid as he puts for his question and then turns to Adern as he gives his reply. He did not agree with trying to make it seem as if it is the Empire's fault, but he does have a point. There are often too many things that are not what they seem, especially when power is involved.

"That is terrible indeed. But my friend here has a point. Surely there must have been something to cause this 'attack'. But as such, these are words of a mere outsider, someone who could not fully comprehend your situation, so do bear it no particular mind. Anyway, do you mean to say we are in the lands of the elves? Oh, and it would be nice if you could you give us an overview of the political powers of this land. Besides your Empire and the elves, what countries or kingdoms are near here?" he bombards the man with questions so as to distract him. And knowing the answers would as well be important anyway. Knowing things is always important for Procas. Many a times has his life been saved by bits of information he's heard in passing here or there.

Sinpoder
2012-01-06, 07:39 PM
I am just trying to be honest with this man, he has done nothign to me to hate him nor distrust him. If anything, I like him he is honest with us, as far as i can tell, and I respect him for that.

Sammaul then listened to what he had to, including all the stuff about elves, and he would then say simply My friends have a point... No one expect Demons fight without a reason. Elves do not fight without a reason, just like you. Elves are the same as you. Now, I am new to this place so what did YOU do to the elves that would lead them to attack and kill the crown prince.... Even Devils do not just attack one of the Kings of Nine Hell without having a reason.

Sam was trying to be offensive, or hurtful and that was clear, but he knew for a fact that no one but Demon like people fight and kill for no reason. Sam was clearly just being straight forward with him, as it was just as much apart of his person as the flaming wings and the angelic blood.

True Seeing is on at all times
Detect Evil

BelGareth
2012-01-06, 08:32 PM
Rywar decides to try and determine some more of the truth, or what could be gathered about the lack of it.

He uses Detect thoughts as a spell like ability (racial spell), DC 20 Will save to resist me reading his surface thoughts after 3 rounds.

SLA's are purely mental, and therefore he (or anyone else) has no idea it was Rywar)

Revmiren
2012-01-07, 07:17 AM
"How would I know why the damn elves do anything? We never hurt them none. Hell, half the reason we's out here crawling around on the ground is to find out what happened. If the Emperor, glory to his name, thought all the elves was to blame he would lead out the Gold Dragonflight and burn down the whole damn forest."

(Ryway's spell succeeds at penetrating the man's mind, and he does not seem to notice. You can tell he is being honest and straightforward, although he is wishing Captain Gertz were here to answer the increasingly complicated questions.

Sammael detects no evil.)

Revmiren
2012-01-08, 03:54 PM
The group lapses into silence after Arden's last reply. The only sound in the clearing is the rustling of trees and the occasional bird call, although Arden is clearly still ill at ease in the elven forest.

After about 8 minutes, the group begins to hear the sounds of a larger group crashing through the forest towards them. Isyllt picks them up on her Mindsight just as they come into view through the trees. The column is led by ten mounted knights in plate armor, burnished a fiery bronze. Behind the mounted soldiers are two men in embroidered robes riding mules. One hundred soldiers on foot follows, all armored in heavy plate and wearing shields slung over their shoulders.

The force carries a profusion of thin reddish-gold banners as well as a solid bronze standard sculpted in the shape if a dragon.

(Mindsight reveals that one of the knights, presumably Gertz, has an intelligence score of 15, and the two robed men have an 18 and a 20. Sammael detects no evil in the force.)

The company advances slowly through the clearing toward the small group waiting for them. They make no hostile moves, and as they come within 30 feet Gertz gracefully dismounts and walks forward alone to greet you. The two robed men slide off their mules with considerably less skill, apparently unused to so much riding.

As Gertz dismounts, Isyllt detects a large group of sentient minds under the ground. Their type is elemental, int scores all six, and they are moving rapidly upwards. As they approach the surface more and more come into midnight range, numbering well over a hundred and concentrated beneath the Dragonguard column. As they approach, you detect a single int score of ten in the group. The elementals will reach the surface in seconds, and the others show no sign that they are aware of the danger.

BelGareth
2012-01-08, 06:10 PM
Rywar sees the oncoming column and springs up to stand and watch as they approach.

"At last! the cavalry has arrived!" he says smiling.

Caylus
2012-01-08, 06:45 PM
Tom listened to all the talking going on. When he heard they were going to fight elves, he couldn't resist a shudder. His fifth master had been an elf, and he had never forgiven him for accidentally burning down his home forest. Well, at least they didn't have to be overly friendly against the ones living here, from what he gathered.

When the cavalry approaches, Tom bows.

"Greetings, captain Gertz, I presume?"

Blackfish
2012-01-08, 06:55 PM
Isyllt looks pleased to see the great column of soldiers, and even more pleased when Gertz approaches alone. Perhaps this time she wouldn't be imprisoned. The look quickly changes to confusion, and then to surprise, as she feels the massive amount of elementals approaching. She whispers a few quick syllables and gathers her magic to her, and then shouts a warning to the column.

"Prepare yourself for battle! I've heard that you're the best, now draw your swords and shields and prove it. Elemental attackers are approaching us from below, prepare to fight!"

First, Isyllt activates the Word of Pain aura. Enemies (elementals) within 60 ft. have to succeed on a DC 40 Will save or else take a -4 luck penalty to AC, a -2 luck penalty to skill and ability checks, and -8 pain penalty to attack rolls, caster level checks, skill checks, ability checks, damage rolls, and AC.

Second, Isyllt uses Narcissistic Elation: Action to encourage the troops. It will affect Gertz, Adern, and eight of the mounted knights. They all receive a +20 morale bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, and skills checks until she stops encouraging them.

Sinpoder
2012-01-08, 09:27 PM
I also have Mindsight.. so i would feel the same stuff

Sammy stood there seeing everything as it came and then suddenly he felt a mass amount of elemental coming from the ground and right as the devil started to talk, Sin also started to talk. To Arms!!! Elemental coming from the ground!!! Raise your shields and sword and prepare for the fight of your lives!!!

Sammeul would reach for his axe, but to find it was not there and he would growl anger before his entire aura changed. He went from the kind heart angel to a cold warrior of the Good and Lawful. Sammeul's wings would spread wide as he got ready to fight and attack with everything he had, including his wings.

GuyFawkes
2012-01-08, 11:01 PM
Procas

Procas turns to take notice of the approaching army. "So they are here. Pretty impressive!" he smiles and makes his way towards them to extend his greeting when he hears Isyllt and Sammael shout out their warnings about elementals coming at the arriving group from under the ground. Elementals?!

His smile is distorted into a confused look as he stops on his tracks.

Revmiren
2012-01-09, 06:10 AM
As you begin shouting, Captain Gertz leaps back onto his horse with cat-like speed. He and the other knights have their swords drawn and shields ready before you finish your warnings. Gertz begins shouting over you at the other soldiers, but they are still fumbling with their weapons when the earth comes alive.

The ground erupts in a wave of moving earth and stone as eight foot tall earth elementals surge upwards, hitting the surprised soldiers like an avalanch. Over 20 of the elementals surround you and the knights, but they hesitate before attacking. As you face off, one last elemental rises from the earth. More than twice the size of the others, it wields a massive hammer sculpted from a single piece of adamantine.

The monstrous stone creature hefts the hammer with practiced ease before swinging it around at lightning speed in a tornado of deadly metal. Man and horse alike go flying as the massive hammer tears through the squad of knights, and both spellcasters are crushed to a pulp along with their mules.

Sammael is hit twice, taking 35 damage from each blow. He is thrown violently backwards by the force of the strike, colliding with one of the nearby elementals for 60 damage.

Aughranu is hit twice, taking 34 damage from each hit, and is also thrown backwards, colliding for 74 damage.

Tom is hit twice, taking 39 and 40 damage, and is thrown back to take 68 more damage.

Isyllt dodges the first blow but is hit by the second, taking 37 damage from the hammer and 63 more from the impact.

Procas is hit twice for 34 and 35 damage. He is also hurled backwards, hitting for 72 damage.

(All damage numbers are pre-DR. Hammer damage is adamantine and magic, impact damage is nonmagical. Whole party is now free to act.)

Sinpoder
2012-01-09, 11:10 AM
Suddendly, Sammuel was hit, hard, by the hammer of this elemental and slammed into a different elemental. This attack would have been enough any normal human, but Sammuel was not a human he was an Angel of Justice!

Sammuel then rose to his feet, covered from head to toe in a white flame, and it was clear that Sammuel was pissed that he was hit. How Dare You!! suddendly a massive wave of white fire went outward, engulfing everyone including the knights and his allies but instead of hurting them it HEALED them! Though it would do very real damage to the elementals.

Current HP 265/370

Using Solar Fire Burst, that spreads out from me in every direction going out in a 165 foot radius circle centered around me.

Damage [roll0] This would bypass fire immunity or resistance on the enemy and heal my allies for 21 points of damage

BelGareth
2012-01-09, 01:08 PM
Aughranu was slightly surprised, but he go over it quickly, recovering from the impact of the blow he shook his hairy head, sending his mane back and forth.

Casting several spells within a moments notice he started to growl low, an intimidating growl that bespoke of the anger that had been roused.

Sprinting forward Rywar became like a blur narrowing on the elemental like a speeding comet.(Charges elemental provoking attacks of opportunity)

Attacks:

Using pounce on a charge
+20 damage on first successful attack

1st Claw
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] + [roll2]
Confirm [roll3]
Crit Damage [roll4] + [roll5]

2nd Claw
Attack [roll6]
Damage [roll7] + [roll8]
Confirm [roll9]
Crit Damage [roll10] + [roll11]

3rd claw from haste
Attack [roll12]
Damage [roll13] + [roll14]
Confirm [roll15]
Crit Damage [roll16] + [roll17]

Bite
Attack [roll18]
Damage [roll19] + [roll20]
Confirm [roll21]
Crit Damage [roll22] + [roll23]
If hit Grapple check [roll24]

If grappled two free rake attacks
1st
Attack [roll25]
Damage [roll26] + [roll27]
Confirm [roll28]
Crit Damage [roll29] + [roll30]

2nd
Attack [roll31]
Damage [roll32] + [roll33]
Confirm [roll34]
Crit Damage [roll35] + [roll36]

1st rake from pounce
Attack [roll37]
Damage [roll38] + [roll39]
Confirm [roll40]
Crit Damage [roll41] + [roll42]

2nd rake from pounce
Attack [roll43]
Damage [roll44] + [roll45]
Confirm [roll46]
Crit Damage [roll47] + [roll48]

Economy of Actions-
Swift: Cast Haste (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/haste.htm)
Immediate: Cast Shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shield.htm)
Standard (Perpetual options): Lay on hands self for 81 damage
Full round: Charge pounce

Details

Took 112 after DR 10/-, healed 21 from Sammuel, fast healed 10 and lay on hands for 81 damage.

Natural attacks do no bypass any DR

Haste (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/haste.htm)

Grants a +11 dodge bonus in addition to standard bonuses to all within 75ft
Counts as extraordinary and therefor cannot be dispelled
Grants Freedom of Movement
Grants 50% concealment
Grants 50% fail chance vs aimed spells
Free extend for total of 42 rounds

Shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shield.htm)

Acts as Resist energy spell [Acid]
Acts as Circle of Protection from [Evil]
Counts as extraordinary and therefor cannot be dispelled
Free extend for total of 42 rounds

Lay on hands: 87/168
HP: 286/286
AC: 53
Active Spells: Shield and Haste

Revmiren
2012-01-09, 04:00 PM
Sammael's fire scorched the giant elemental, but the monster did not appear badly injured. The smaller elementals in the area are blasted by the flames, and many of them fall.

The elemental's hammer lashes out at Aughranu as the lion warrior charges, but the creature misjudged the swiftblade's speed and misses badly. All four claws and the bite connect solidly, but they barely scratch the elemental's rocky surface. The massive pile of stone shrugs off the attempted grapple.

(Sinpoder: please use the actual name of your abilities. I'm assuming that was a Fire and Light Burning Blast in spread shape. Also, post your radiance when in combat.)

Blackfish
2012-01-10, 01:46 AM
Isyllt quickly gathers her wits and prepares a counterattack against the massive elemental, whispering under her breath and twitching her fingers in eldritch signs as she strings multiple spells together and unleashes them at the lead elemental.

Isyllt takes 17 damage from the hammer blow (DR 20/silver AND magic) and 43 more from the impact (DR 20/silver AND magic) for a total of 60 points of damage.

Health: 477/537
Temporary Energy: 0/42
Energy: 477/525
Malefactions Remaining: 26/27

1. Isyllt casts Quickened Baleful Polymorph (DC 35) on the Large Elemental for 3 energy and 42 temporary energy as a free action.

2. Isyllt uses the Word of Binding (Will DC 40) malefaction on the Large Elemental as a swift action.
"Word of Binding [Malediction]
Effect: Upon failing their save against this terrible malefaction, the victim is bound tight by chains of invisible force; for the duration of the malefaction, he is rendered helpless. Additionally, he is incapable of using supernatural or spell-like abilities (including spellcasting) and the chains negate any contingencies active on his person for the duration of the malefaction."

3. Isyllt casts Dominate Monster (Will DC 59) on the Large Elemental for 45 energy as a standard action.

Note: Isyllt's maleficent aura is still active.

GuyFawkes
2012-01-10, 03:01 AM
Procas

The huge hammer swing catches Procas off guard and sends him flying. He quickly recovers, rolling up into standing position as soon as he hit the ground. "Ayia...they are not with you I suppose," he says, still smiling.

He quickly assesses the situation as he augments himself with some sort of magic, and quickly weaves through the plains, now turned into a battlefield, to where fallen knights lie, grabs one on each hand, and with a quick burst weaves around the elementals and goes to a safe spot, near the pursuing footmen.

He looks at their gear and looks for any weapon with a sheath, preferably a sword and picks it up. "I'll be borrowing this if you won't mind."

Damage: With DR 10/-, Procas suffers 24, 25, and 62 damage from the hits for a total of 111. With Fast Healing 10 and healing from Sinpoder's fire of 21, total damage is 80.
Hit Points: 253/333
AC: 39 (+4 Mana Armor, +1 Haste)

Free Action: Cast Mana Armor (+4 armor bonus to AC) for 1 Mana Point.
Swift Action: Switch stance to Sand-Bearer's Attitude (continuous haste when in stance, cannot be slowed)
Move Action: Move to any 2 unconscious knights adjacent to each other and pick them up in a path without provoking AoO. Speed is 105 + 30 ft from Haste.
Free Action: Cast Burst of Speed to move up to once, twice, or thrice his land speed, depending on what is needed to reach the footmen without provoking AoO for 2/4/10 Mana points respectively.
Standard Action: Pick up weapon from the knights he carried.

Revmiren
2012-01-10, 12:09 PM
The elemental's blows scattered the knights widely, so Procas is unable to find two lying next to each other. He does manage to grab one of the two knights that had been knocked unconscious, get him out of the danger zone, and draw the man's finely crafted longsword.

Isyllt's Dominate Monster spell then tears through the elemental's mental defenses and seizes control of it's actions. As the elemental ceases it's assault and moves robotically to obey, you just barely sense that something is wrong or abnormal with it's thoughts. Before you can determine what, the creature's mind simply winks out, leaving no more sentience than a pile of rocks. The entire group watches in surprise as the massive stone body softens and deforms, transforming from rock into clay and mud before collapsing completely onto the field.

As the creature falls you have time to look around and get your bearings. Eight of the knights have remounted, and both they and their mounts look to have received some healing. Many of the foot soldiers have fallen, but those remaining have formed tight defensive circles and are holding the fire-damaged elementals at bay.

(Casting a quickened spell is a swift, not a free action in 3.5, although in this case it doesn't really matter given the effects of the Dominate Monster.)

Sinpoder
2012-01-10, 01:08 PM
New round?

Revmiren
2012-01-10, 01:49 PM
Still waiting on Tom/Caylus

Revmiren
2012-01-11, 11:02 AM
Tom appears to be dazed by the force of the blow, and does nothing the first round.

The remounted knights form up in a squad and draw their lances as the foot soldiers tighten their formations. The elementals continue their furious assault, and a few of the defensive circles are broken by elementals emerging from below, but the Dragonguard's discipline and teamwork is keeping the attackers largely at bay.

Everyone can act freely. Since the elementals are so much weaker than you we won't roll for everything, just give a quick summary of what you do.

GuyFawkes
2012-01-11, 02:11 PM
Procas

Another blur that could be comparable to the feline humanoid can be seen weaving through the battlefield. Procas continues to remove unconscious knights and soldiers out of harm's way, and would occasionally attack an elemental or two if he sees one pinning down some of the combatants on their side.

BelGareth
2012-01-11, 06:35 PM
Being careful not to catch the knights in the blast Rywar lets out a blast roaring across the battlefield, trying to catch as many as he can he will use his Leonal Roar.

60 ft cone, nongood creatures within the area take [roll0] sonic damage and creatures with the following HD in the area are affected per their HD, all affects have no save:

21HD or less are deafened for [roll1] rounds
20HD or less are Blinded for [roll2] rounds
16 HD or less are paralyzed AND helpless for [roll3] minutes
11 HD or less are Killed

All affects are cumulative

Sinpoder
2012-01-12, 11:38 AM
Sam would just keep attacking, hopefuly one of the soldier had an axe, hich he would grab, at which point he would keep hitting all the earth elementals if they are not already dead from the roar.

Revmiren
2012-01-12, 05:34 PM
Procas is generally successful in protecting the fallen.

Aughranu's roar kills outright an entire swathe of elementals.

Sammael can't find an axe, but he does manage to take a sword from a fallen legionnaire. He cuts through the elementals like a whirlwind.

I'll move on to the battle's aftermath soon unless anyone has anything particularly special they want to do.

Revmiren
2012-01-13, 05:30 AM
In a few minutes, the remaining elementals have been wiped out. The field is strewn with broken stone and clay, and the remaining Dragonguard warily relax from their battle formations.

Although the column took heavy casualties in the initial surprise attack, the early warning and Sammael's fire blast gave them the time needed to form up and prevent total annihilation. About 70 or 80 of them have survived, along with most of the knights. Among the slain are the two mages, along with Adern, who had the misfortune of being within reach of the massive elemental's first wave of attacks.

As the last elemental falls, Captain Gertz takes a small, rune-inscribed stone from his pocket, and concentrates for a few seconds, causing the stone to glow brightly. He then replaces it, dismounts, and walks over to the group.

"I don't know who you are, or how you got here, but you have saved me and all my men. The Empire owes you a great debt, as do I.*

"Please, allow me to introduce myself. I am Captain Kellenor Gertz, commander of the 18th company of the Third Legion of the Brass Dragonguard, servants of the Emperor, may his light illuminate the land. If you have any needs, I will do my utmost to fulfill them, although I fear it will be poor recompense for your actions here."

Sinpoder
2012-01-13, 06:16 PM
Sam would look at the captain and would sigh as he said simply Well I can tell you I would be much more of a use with a Drawven Battleaxe in my hands. Sam would then lay the sword he was using on the ground, not happy with its results in the battle field, knowing that his axe would have been better. As for a reward, all i wish is for my equipment so I can go back to being of use, though i can start that right now.

Sam would then walk up to someone that looked like the highest ranking person, and he would grab his body and pull him out of the rubble and death as he would lay him down in the field near by and start to speak in the language of angels. Suddendly a bright light would shine as Sam tried to bring the body back to life with the person still inside it, using a cheap but not always effective way to bring the dead back to life.

Radiance: 7
Healing Hands: The Phoenix Knight lays hands on the target, healing it as a standard action. The target is healed 1d8 points of damage per class level, plus the Phoenix Knight's Cha modifier. This can be used to harm undead, with a Will save allowed for half damage.

At fifteenth level, the Phoenix Knight can remove points of ability drain at the cost of 50 points of healing each, and may heal characters below -9 hit points within one round per point of its Charisma modifier of death.

[roll0]

If this works, Sammy will go to the leader and ask who else he wants having a chance to be raised from death. Also Sammy has regeneration so he is at full health

GuyFawkes
2012-01-13, 07:22 PM
Procas

"Greetings, Sir Gertz. My name is Procas, a humble wanderer. It is on a sad note that we meet here today. A lot of lives have been lost, even Sir Krytz as well. Good man, he was, as I am sure the others who have fallen with him are as well." He pauses for a bit as he looks at the fallen.

"I do not know why you were attacked by such creatures, and it is not my place to meddle. My assistance was of my own free will, and does not need recompense. But, since these parts are rather foreign to me, as well as my comrades here, it would be very much appreciated if you could somehow point us to any city near here."

BelGareth
2012-01-13, 08:38 PM
Rywar nods to the man, he had his respect from his reaction of the situation, it had said a lot from the man.

"Greetings Captain Gertz, your welcome is a said interlude to the death of your men. Where do you head to now?" he shakes his hairy mane.

"I do not need recompense as my man-friend here said so eloquently, I do have the ability to raise the dead, but sadly I have none of my things with me and lack the diamond dust to do so."

"I must ask, why where you attacked by Elementals? I know enough to know that they must be commanded by a spellcaster, or is this not the material plane and they wander freely?"

He looks the Captains shoulder and looks at his men "Do any of your men need any more healing? I can heal a considerable amount."

Revmiren
2012-01-13, 08:42 PM
"I'm afraid I can't help with your own equipment, Krytz said you appeared just like you are now, and the how of it frankly mystifies me. If it's equipment you need, weapons and armor will be easy enough to find."

Gertz turns to Procas as Sammael walks over to where one of the fallen knights lies. The dead man's grievously injured warhorse stands over his body, head bowed as if in mourning.

"Well met Procas. It is a dark day indeed, but many and more would have died without you. I suspect this ambush was arranged by the elves, and was meant to wipe us out completely. That your help was given freely is of no matter: honor demands that I give you any aid I can that does not conflict with my duty to the Empire. The nearest city to here is Vergard, where the Legions are assembling even as we speak. There you will surely-"

He cuts off as a flash of brilliant white light marks the fallen knight's return to life. The recently dead man sits up unsteadily, still hurt badly but clearly alive and clearly dazed.

Gertz quickly organizes a triage, and you manage to return the other fallen knight, several sergeants, and a few common soldiers to life. Your attempts to restore Adern and the two dead mages unaccountably fail. Although their remains are more badly mangled than the others, from what you can tell your powers would normally have been effective.

As Sammael works, Gertz replies to Aughranu's queries.

"No, such beings could not be here without being commanded by a mage, probably several given their numbers. The elves are powerful magic users however, and this is undoubtably their work. I fear this means war is certain now. I suppose it was foolish to hope that they would let us enter Eldalond without bloodshed...

"As to where we go now, I must await further orders from command.Any healing you could give would be greatly appreciated, we have many still wounded."

Sinpoder
2012-01-14, 12:01 AM
As Sammael went to work, he would stand all of the men up and pat them on the back before taking them to a medic, if they had one, to get healed back to full health if he had not done that fully already. As he tried to resurrect the bodies of the two wizards he would fail and he would slam the ground, pissed at himself that he could not get to them in time to get them back. He would go on though healing whoever he could. As he got everyone back up, he would clearly be less.. radiant. He skin seemed to lose a lot of it's shine and his eyes seemed to lose that glow in them. Doing this clearly took a lot out of him, though it would be hard to tell what.

Sammael would then walk up to the leader, and he would bow before saying simply I have done all i can for the men. The wizards and the fallen knights should have been resurrected, but it did not seem to work on them. I have no idea why, but i gave you back what i could. I can also do much more for you if i can get some equipment Sammael was a blunt man... blunt angel, knowing that if he had even half the equipment he had back before he was transported here, he would be twice as useful as he is now. Sammael looked at his party to see how they reacted to this show of power, bring the dead back to life with seemly no lose besides the lost of luster in the skin and eyes.

Revmiren
2012-01-14, 08:23 PM
(To clarify, you did manage to raise the fallen knights. Only three attempts failed: the two spell casters and Adern, all of whose bodies were in worse condition than the others.)

Gertz seems stunned by the display. "You have already done more than I could have imagined. I will certainly do all I can to get you any equipment you desire."

Gertz pauses here, his eyes losing focus as though he is listening to words that only he could hear. It lasts only seconds before he refocused and turned to Aughranu.

"It seems that your question has been answered. The other scouting parties are not responding, and we are summoned back to Vergard. You are all welcome to accompany us, and truthfully I would welcome your company. We would be hard pressed if the elves summoned more of their minions to finish the job."

As the conversation continues, Isyllt has time to ponder what happened to the elemental. Make a Spellcraft and Knowledge (Arcana) check.

Sinpoder
2012-01-14, 08:28 PM
Arcana[roll0]
Spellcraft [roll1]

and is that solid piece of adamanitian still here

GuyFawkes
2012-01-15, 12:55 AM
Procas

Having taken care of the elementals, Procas walks towards the knight he took the sword from and returns it. "Thanks, it was handy." He then walks over to Gertz and speaks to him. "Ah, so it appears they have been met with the same welcome as you, though I think they did not fare as well." He shakes his head in worry.

In his mind however, he could not reconcile the facts still. It seems illogical for the elves, who claim to have no part in the attempt against the prince, to attack them openly like this. Unless they were looking forward to the complete and simultaneous eradication of all the scouting parties, so denying their hand in it would have more credence. He knows well not to tell his thoughts to the captain, and speaks, "It would be very much better to travel to Vergard with you."

BelGareth
2012-01-15, 12:58 AM
Rywar listens to everything, trying to soak in all the information. The irises in his eyes widen suddenly at the hearing of the other contingents.

"One quick question before we leave Commander" he asks "What is the color of these elves skin?"

Blackfish
2012-01-15, 01:40 AM
Spellcraft: [roll0]
Knowledge (Arcane) [roll1]

Revmiren
2012-01-15, 03:17 PM
"Their skin? Why, it is as white as dried bone, just like all elves. Supposedly the skin of their most powerful magi gains a silver sheen, but few humans have ever seen one of them."

(All surface elves any of you are familiar with have skin in the same flesh tone as humans.)

(Isyllt realizes that the summoner of the elemental was almost certainly monitoring the creature closely when the Dominate Monster spell hit, and dismissed the summons immediately upon losing control. You aren't quite sure what means might have been employed to do this.)

Sinpoder
2012-01-15, 03:41 PM
Sam had assumed that they were just normal elves and not their evil cousin the drow. Sam then waited until it was time to leave, as he was going to head back with them. He needed to wait until sunrise the next day, as he looked at the sun to see how much longer he had until night. Sin also heard about the silver sheen, and Sin looked at his own skin which had a silver shin to it that made him impossible to hit with spells for the most part.

BelGareth
2012-01-16, 12:10 PM
"White as dry bone? I have never seen elf cubs like this, these elves are strange..." Rywar was starting to think he was on another plane of existence "I think I will travel with you man-things as Mighty Procas says, we may be of some more help."

GuyFawkes
2012-01-16, 12:35 PM
Procas

A smile returns to Procas' face. "Oh, but you flatter me, monsieur. I am merely wanting to travel so they could provide me protection. Unlike you or them, I am merely good at running away, though I could only hope to match your uncanny speed. Indeed if you do come along, that would be absolutely wonderful! Hmm, come to think of it I have not gotten your name. And in what name might I address one who has such a mighty roar that fell most of the elementals and powerful legs that could breeze through the battlefield?"

He tries to converse in a cheerful manner, but in his mind runs thoughts similar to what Rywar has stated. They might have been indeed transported to another plane, and a far away one, it seems. He could not summon his weapons, or his trusted Supporter, and they have elves with skin as white as dry bone, something he has never heard of. Where in the damned multiverse are we?

BelGareth
2012-01-16, 12:51 PM
Rywar turns his head sideways to regard the man-thing baring teeth in his weird grin.

"Aughranu Rywar is my pride name, but man-things do not like to use it." thinking for a moment "You may call me Rywar if it pleases you" he answers the man.

"That is what my last adventuring group called me, they are all dead now, old age creeps up on man-things quickly."

GuyFawkes
2012-01-16, 01:19 PM
Procas

"Aughranu Rywar. Beautiful name. Then that is how I shall address you from now on!" he beams at the feline. "It shall be an honor to travel with you, Aughranu Rywar," he says with a little bow, then turns towards the others. "How about you, Monsieur Tom, Monsieur Sammael, Lady Isyllt? You would grace us with your company as well, oui?"

Blackfish
2012-01-17, 12:59 AM
Isyllt inclines her head in response to Procas's invitation, offering a smile. "Of course I will continue to travel with the rest of you. We are all alike in our situation, and working together will provide us much more protection in this alien world than going our separate ways."

She brushes dirt off her dress, frowning at the frightful state the battle left it in. "Following these soldiers back to their city might be our best course of action. I, for one, would be grateful for the chance to acquire new information and garments."

Revmiren
2012-01-17, 01:36 AM
Tom also agrees to travel with you.

Captain Gertz offers you any of the gear you want from the fallen soldiers, although he warns that you may have to give it up a Vergard. He promises to provide anything you need once you return to civilization. Anyone who wants can get a +1 Longsword, a +1 Large Steel Shield, or a suit of +1 Full Plate armor. The armor won't fit Sammael or Rywar.

After a brief pause to rest, regroup, and distribute any healing you are willing to give, the column turns around and marches back into the forest the way it came. Captain Gertz invites you all to stay at the front with him and the other Knights.

(Feel free to ask him any questions you have. The march will take about two days, so you have plenty of time to discuss. Let me know when you want to skip forward.)

Sinpoder
2012-01-17, 09:11 AM
( I am up for skipping forward, I have no questions)

Revmiren
2012-01-18, 08:00 PM
The journey through for forest is peaceful and idyllic. The soldiers remain nervous throughout the march, staring suspiciously at singing birds and the occasional deer, but no further attacks come.

Twice, Isyllt and Sammael detect humanoid minds near the column, but they vanish almost immediately after you notice them, and you never see anyone. Sammael suspects that they might be inside the trees themselves.

Along the way, Isyllt sees several more Nightwalkers on the Plane of Shadow, as well as a few sizeable groups of incorporeal undead. The Plane remains dark and bleak throughout the forest, which apparently coincides with a massive area of Darklands.

In the early morning of the second day, the forest begins to thin, and soon you are riding through grassy fields. Everyone brightens considerably as you leave the trees behind, and the soldiers soon begin talking, laughing, and singing marching songs. Isyllt notices that the Plane of Shadow has returned to normal.

Captain Gertz, who had been silent and brooding through the forest march, also cheers up, and as you leave the forest begins regaling you with tales of the Empire. According to him, it was founded several thousand years ago by a powerful gold dragon. At that time the humans of the land were split into hundreds of primitive tribes, continuously warring with each other, constantly in conflict with the orcs, goblins, and other demihumans, and never safe from the monsters that roamed the land. The dragon united first the warring human tribes and then all of dragon-kind, forging an empire destined to last forever. Eventually the deadly monsters were hunted down and the goblinoid hordes pushed back into the wastes, making the entire land safe for civilization to grow and thrive. Gertz relates several extremely detailed stories about the people and events involved in the founding, and manages to talk for several hours straight with barely a pause. Despite his long-windedness, the man is a decent storyteller, and the march across the plains passes quickly.

Around mid afternoon, as Captain Gertz is telling you about a heroic battle against the orcs of the eastern wastes, Vergard comes into view. It is a fairly large town situated on a hill, but its most notable feature is the camp that surrounds it. Tents stretch for miles across the plain around the city, housing what must be well into the tens of thousands of soldiers. As you enter the perimeter the noise of the army engulfs you. Sounds of men shouting, drilling, laughing, and practicing swordplay mix with the clangor of smiths at work and the tramp of marching feet. The banners of the camp are a mixed lot, with various numbers and insignias being carried by different units, but all are either the metallic brass sheen borne by Gertz's company or a pure, snowy white. As you near the city, you see dozens of dragons circling lazily in the skies above.

Gertz paused in his stories for the march through the army camp. As you near the gates of the city itself, he turns to you seriously.

"I am bringing you to meet with Lord Astaron, commander of the expeditionary force (the Draconic name continues with the usual titles and ancestry, including First Scion of Brass and Field Marshal of the Brass Dragonguard). He will likely be very grateful for the help you have given us, but you must keep in mind that he is an ancient creature, of the high nobility, and must be accorded the utmost respect. As long as you do not insult him, however, his generosity knows few limits."

Sinpoder
2012-01-18, 11:05 PM
Sam walked along with the rest of the group, having no problem keeping up with the soilders march due to his superhuman training. Luckly for him, as soon as the sun rose the next day his eyes and hair and skin came back with the same shine as before the fight started with the elementals. As they reached the place he instantly saw the dragons looking above the city, and because he figured they were not being shot down that they were friendly. He knew then that fighting dragons for getting some loot so he had a chance to get some of his equipment back.

Sam then looked around, looking at every single one of the flags and banners looking for all the different kinds of dragons that are. If he saw some Evil Dragon based divisions, he would check to see if any of them were evil. If so, he would later ask how they kept the evil fighters in check.

GuyFawkes
2012-01-19, 01:13 AM
Procas

During the whole march to Vergard, Procas is his usual care-free, talkative self, engaging almost anyone who cares to lend an ear, and even when most of them are trained at detecting the least movements and sounds around their column. He seems oblivious of the dangers they are in, confident that his companions will manage to alarm them of anything.

When the group leaves the forests and everyone's mood lifts up, Procas stops talking and listens intently on every word of the Captain's tale. He nods and interjects every now and then, and rides close to the Captain. Upon the sight of the city, he immediately notices the dragons up in the air, and notes it is very rare to see dragons about like that so casually. As they make their way through the camp, Procas observes the soldiers practicing, as well as the different banners flying up.

Upon Gertz' suggestion of being introduced to this Lord Astaron, Procas beams. "It will be an honor to meet Lord Astaron."

Revmiren
2012-01-19, 10:38 PM
About half the flags are white, but Sammael doesn't detect any large groups of evil people, just the thin scattering of evil individuals that is typical of any large group.

You pass through the main gates and enter a city much like any other you have known...

Soon you reach the castle in the center of town. The massive gates stand open, and the entryway is lined by winged half-dragons in burnished plate armor, armed with massive two-handed swords. They salute in crisp unison as the column passes them. In the courtyard the knights dismount and you leave the foot soldiers behind as you enter the inner keep.

The inner keep of the castle is different from any you have ever seen. It is a cavernous structure, gates and hallways all obviously designed primarily for dragons rather than humans. Huge hallways slope precipitously, with grooved claw-holds rather than stairs. Eventually, you reach a huge, amphitheater-like chamber near the center of the keep.

A gargantuan brass dragon dominates the room, his ancient scales adorned with jewelry and talismans, most of it clearly magical. Eight other dragons sit around the circle, an even mix of brass and white, mostly huge sized. As you enter, Gertz and the other knights fall to one knee, bowing their heads deeply. Lord Astaron waits a long moment before he speaks.

"Rise, my loyal servants. Greetings, strangers. You have aided my soldiers, and have my gratitude. Tell me, how did you come to be alone and unarmed in the elven woods?"

GuyFawkes
2012-01-20, 01:21 AM
Procas

Procas kneels down, imitating Gertz and the other knights in front of the brass dragon. When the ancient being addresses them, he stands and begins his reply with humility, but also with confidence, as if he is used to talking in the courts of leaders. "Fekiikiri, Ith Astaron. Coi ui vin tiichi ekess tafiaf wux." (Greetings, Lord Astaron. It is an honor to meet you.) He continues his talk in Draconic. "My name is Procas. And the feelings of gratitude is reciprocal. Were it not for your brave men who happened upon us then, we would still be wandering around that dangerous area now, wondering what to do or where to go."

He pauses a bit to look sideways at Gertz and bows, then faces the brass dragon again, and continues, still in Draconic. "As for why we were there in the first place, the answer is that unfortunately we do not know as well. It is safe to say we are from different worlds, and for reasons and methods we do not yet understand, suddenly we found ourselves lying on a clearing in the Elven forests without anything on us but the clothes we are wearing."

"If it is not so much, I would like to ask if the Lord's infinite wisdom has ever heard of something similar to our situation. Is it something that has happened here before? Or maybe even a common occurrence. We would be very much grateful if you could help us elucidate our current predicament." He finishes by lowering his head and waiting for the Lord's reply.

BelGareth
2012-01-20, 11:41 AM
Rywar had been mostly silent for the whole trip, merely soaking in this worlds flora and fauna and trying to understand the balance of life here. For that is what he truly thought had happened, that he had, somehow, been transported to another world. Perhaps even to another plane of existence and what he knew of things was gone forever to him. At least for now, he was no epic mage and he would not be able to get himself back, let alone the motley assortment of companions he seemed to have garnered.

Bearing his teeth in the feline smile of his he walks through the camp of roused armsmen, his curiosity peeked by the flying dragons. An obvious show of force, and a truly blunt one at that. Where the people here so short with their outlook of the world they must browbeat people at a distance with the intimidation of flying dragons?

I truly hope not, or we marched the wrong way

He walked silently through the man-things buildings, but this was different, it was large enough to accommodate dragons. Upon entering the chamber his hackles rose as he saw the white dragons sitting around the obvious emperor of the kingdom that Gertz had been talking about. He had had some encounters with their kind and didn't take to kindly to their presence, but no matter. He was a guest and this massive Brass dragon was in charge, surely a manner of respect was in order for such an accomplishment?

Rywar listened to Procas speak in the tongue of the dragons and then give up the answer to the question pondered, it was the same as his but he would show his respect none the less.
dropping to all fours and looking ever like the regal Lion of a pride he bows his head in submission, his large and fury mane making it look like he was barely looking down, but to those higher up, it was obvious it was a bow of acquiescence, something of the most importance coming from a Lion or any lion kind.

"What he says is, there is not much I can add except to its validity." he says simply.

Revmiren
2012-01-21, 02:20 PM
(Sammael, given time to scan the room, notices that none of the white dragons are evil. Only one evil aura is present, from the smallest of the brass dragons.)

Astaron pauses thoughtfully before responding.

"I have never heard of something quite like this. It is common for powerful mages to travel the planes or to summon creatures here from strange and distant realms, but for people to simply appear? No, that I have never heard of. I suspect that some powerful force is behind you presence here, but who or what I could only guess. The obvious answer is the elves, powerful magi whose forests you appeared in, but why they should summon you here and then have you attacked by their own minions defies explanation."

"No, on that question I'm afraid I cannot help you. But please, ask me for anything else and I will grant it, if it is within my power."

Sinpoder
2012-01-21, 04:59 PM
Sam would be looking over all the place, his eyes would lock on the youngest dragon and he would sigh as he then he would walk forward and gave a deep bow to the dragons, showing as much respect as he could before he said When we arrived in this place, all of our equipment was taken from us most likely by the same person or people that sent us here. That being said, if we are to be under your employment and you wish for our usefulness to increase i would recommend replacing some of our equipment if that is at all possible.

GuyFawkes
2012-01-22, 12:21 AM
Procas

I figured as much. Either it was the elves, or somebody powerful who sort of summoned us here. But for what? And if the Elves did summon us, why attack us? Or we just caught in that ambush? Or maybe even to test us. Knowing he is indeed in a different plane, Procas could easily go back to where he came from, provided planar travel from there was possible. But that is not what he does; he goes from place to place, not back to somewhere he's been. In fact, he sees being brought here timely and fortunate, though losing his gear, especially his weapons, and of course, his trusted sidekick, is rather heavy.

Procas then snaps out of his musings and looks back towards the Lord. "Thank you, Lord. I have no more questions I think that could not be answered by your men here, and I do not wish to waste your time. As for your offer, a welcome stay in your city for a while would be enough for a wanderer like me. And seeing that I currently have just lost my possessions, I wish to offer my services for whatever standard remuneration you have for your men, and if it is possible, an access to your forges. I utilize rather unique weaponry, and I am of the impression it is not available in this world, so I will have to craft them myself."

Revmiren
2012-01-22, 03:19 PM
"Equipment, yes, you can talk to my factors and they will see you suitably equipped. Weapons and armor we have in plenty, and you will have your choice of them.

"As to your services, Gertz tells me you are powerful indeed, to have almost single-handedly destroyed a threat capable of wiping out an entire company of Dragonguard, and that completely unarmed. Yes, I'm sure we can find a use for you. Do the rest of you also wish to enter our service? Equipment I will give you freely no matter what you choose, for you have earned that much already, but if your contributions in the future match what you have done so far, your rewards will be rich indeed."

BelGareth
2012-01-23, 12:51 PM
Rywar perks up a little as the great dragon speaks in return to Procas' words.

"I would gladly stay and help a long side the likes of Procas here and your own man-things, but I am confused Dragon, if there are so many of your kind here why do you send man things to do your bidding?"

It is obvious he is just speaking plainly and is not trying to be rude.

Diplomacy [roll0]

Revmiren
2012-01-23, 10:17 PM
Lord Astaron responds to Rywar with a thunderous, coughing growl. It takes you a moment to realize that the massive dragon is chuckling.

"Yes, send dragons to scout a forest. We would certainly know exactly how they had deployed the leaves and canopies, but perhaps not so much more than that.

"But I see your point. Dragons are indeed mighty, and the numbers we have here are rarely gathered for one purpose. However, no dragon is invincible, no matter how great his magic. While those we have here might devastate an entire army of human soldiers, trying to do so while also fighting off the enemy's most powerful magi and warriors would be running a terrible risk. So we gather our soldiers around us, that we can bring to bear our full power on the most dangerous foes.

"I am not entirely sure where you will fit into this balance, but I'm sure we will find a place for you."

Sinpoder
2012-01-23, 10:54 PM
Sam would wait until the conversations was over before asking where he could get some of his armor and equipment back.

Revmiren
2012-01-26, 03:28 AM
"I see you are eager to be rearmed. Yes, if you are all agreed, you may proceed. Colonel Trezyn is the head of logistics, he will see you rearmed and given accomodations. Colonel Kivern is the head of personnel, talk to him about finding a role for yourselves in the Legion."

Astaron motions to one of the smaller white dragons.

"Lord Vyz, see that our new friends find everything they need. Captain Gertz, please remain behind, I would like to hear your full report personally."

Vyz bows his head, then leads you out of the room. You notice that his Draconic name is much shorter than Astaron's, lacking the extravagant titles and extended lineage of the older dragon. When the massive doors close behind you, he pauses.

"So, do you wish to get settled in first, or jump straight to business? It must be very disconcerting to travel so unexpectedly to another plane."

Vyz's voice is smooth and urbane, somewhat disconcerting coming from a white dragon, known in your home worlds mainly for their slow wits and instinctive ferocity. Procas and Isyllt get the feeling that Vyz doesn't know quite what to make of you, either, and he seems to be probing for something with his question.

BelGareth
2012-01-26, 12:12 PM
Rywayr looks to the white dragon with a little trepidation, this was, by all accounts a very strange situation for him and he was not sure how to continue.

"I am eager to get into business as a humming bird is to drink." he says, trying to bring some levity to the situation, for the others and himself.

Rywayr looks to Lord Vyz "Ar..." his mouth opens and then closes "Lord..."

he looks down and hunkers down on his haunches like he did on the pain "nevermind" he said, finally seeing no reason in bringing up what a white dragon meant to them.

GuyFawkes
2012-01-26, 02:11 PM
Procas

"If it is of no inconvenience to you, my Lord, then best deal with what we need to do first." In his mind, he just wants to be done with this and take the rest of the day wandering in the city, enjoy its sights and sounds, and maybe a bit more.

With the tone and gestures of the dragon, Procas can somehow sense something in them. As if the lord is intent on finding something out. "Is there anything wrong, my Lord? Do you have any question in mind for us?" offering his usual smile at him.

Revmiren
2012-01-26, 05:25 PM
Vyz gives Rywar a considering look as the leonal stumbles over his question, but doesn't address it.

"Do I have a question in mind? Why, my questions outnumber the stars. You come from other worlds, and each from your own if I understand correctly. The wonders you must have seen! But it would be unthinkably crass of me to bother you with all my queries before you have even had a chance to clean off the sweat of your journey.

"Let us get you settled in first. Do you wish to go to the armory and equip yourselves? Or perhaps first visit Colonel Kivern and decide what exactly you will be doing for us?""

GuyFawkes
2012-01-26, 11:25 PM
Procas

He smiles. "But of course. I understand. I too am very much curious of this world. Certainly in the first few days alone, it has lot of conventions that are very much different from what I am accustomed, at the very least! Perhaps later when you have the time we can share stories over a drink or two, if you would grace us with the privilege," bowing at the dragon.

"Well, for now I think a visit to the good colonel is in order. Perhaps finding out what we would be doing would allow me to appropriately prepare my gear and equipment."

Sinpoder
2012-01-27, 11:02 AM
I agree with my friend... he makes a great point. If we are heading out of fight wizards, having something to make it hard to hurt us while if we are fighting simple fighters, we can use what i am use to.

Revmiren
2012-01-29, 01:29 PM
"But of course. Come, the colonel's offices are in the lower castle."

Vyz leads the group back down through the dragon-sized passages before exiting the back side of the inner keep. The space between the keep and the back wall is filled with a network of open-air offices improvised from canvas walls and folding tables. Several dragons are perched above the warren of human-sized offices, conversing with the clerks and functionaries below.

Your white dragon guide leads you down a large avenue through the field to one of the offices. A middle-aged man in a bronze dragonguard uniform sits behind the desk, reading a stack of papers. Vyz ushers you up to the office and coughs politely.

"Colonel Kivern? These are the newcomers you were messaged about. Lord Astaron wishes you to find a place for them in the order of battle."

Kivern looks up from his papers and gives Vyz a sharp look, then turns back to continue reading as he replies testily.

"Of course, just dump some random civilians you stumbled across into the Legion. Kivern will find a place for them! The Dragonguard is organized quite well as it is, thank you very much. We don't need them."

There is an awkward pause before Vyz speaks up again.

"Ah, yes, be that as it may, Lord Astaron-"

"Yes, yes!" Kivern cuts off the massive dragon in mid-sentence. "Lord Astaron wishes to find a place for them, so a place must be found."

He turns a critical eye on you. "Well, this shouldn't be too hard. What do you lot want to do?"

Sinpoder
2012-01-29, 02:41 PM
Sam only shrugged. Sam has always been good a following orders, going where ever he was needed and fighting whoever without question for the most part.

BelGareth
2012-01-30, 12:02 AM
Rywar bristles at the commanders response to the white dragon and their own presence. His hackles rise and he emits a low growl.

Slamming down a paw on the table he growls at the commander bearing his feline teeth.

"Look here you man-thing, your lack of respect to a Lord is baffling, and then your out right impudence is intolerable." He points at the dragon "this is a Lord, you are a commander and every one of us" he points to everyone who had 'appeared' "could cut you down as you stand and do your job as a part time position of curiosity."

"It is all I can do to not disembowel you as you stand for the unmitigated gall. These claws have had a long reprise from man flesh, but it isn't something that they cannot handle." he flexes his claws sheathing and unsheathing them in his pads.

His anger rising with every word he starts to yell/growl his words.
"SHOW SOME DAMN RESPECT, I DON'T CARE WHAT STUPID MAN-THING LAURELS YOU HAVE"

He is a frightening sight, his full main shaking with every word, hackles raised and teeth bearing.

Intimidate: [roll0]

Rywar was tired of all the pomp and circumstance, but there was one thing that disheartened him, disrespect, he would not tolerate it.

And he was getting a little tired, all he wanted to do was lie down and eat something.

meh, not a great roll, but still a decent number. unless of course this guy is a paladin :smallsigh:

GuyFawkes
2012-01-30, 02:05 AM
Procas

Procas' eyebrow raises as he hears the man cut off the lord just like he did. Wow, this gets better every time. This place is just so different. And when Rywar explodes, he is not surprised. He calmly goes to his side and puts a gentle hand on his comrade's shoulder.

"Ahahaha, calm down, my friend. We cannot hope to understand and judge them using our own standards. Let us keep to the task at hand, and maybe we could rest early, oui?" he starts off, patting Rywar on his shoulder, trying to disperse the tension. "Apologies, my Lord. We are just a bit tired, I guess," he apologizes to the dragon.

He then turns to Kivern. "Well, as you can see, my comrades here are rather built for the more, shall we say, grittier parts of your job description. These people here are rather capable with their swords, axes, claws, and in the arts of magic. Yes, although we have been together a few days, I can as much attest to that. I have seen it first hand, oui, the way they took down those elementals with ease. And that is without having nothing on them! Why, by my reckoning, each one of them here is equivalent to a company of your men!" He becomes more animated now, like a tradesman plying his wares to the people.

He pauses and straightens himself as he notices he is straying from his point. "Ahem, apologies, I digress. I guess what I was trying to say is that our group could fit in any part of your army as you see fit." and ends it with a smile.

Revmiren
2012-01-30, 06:36 AM
Kivern reacts as though Rywar's outburst was a club between the eyes. He sits and stares at the leonal, jaw slack, eyes wide, barely reacting as Procas steps in to try to calm things down.

Lord Vyz shows almost no response at all, allowing Procas to step in and handle the situation. He considers Rywar and Procas thoughtfully as they react to the Colonel's rudeness, although whether he is impressed, annoyed, or something else is impossible to say.

Only as Procas has almost finished his explanation does Kivern give himself a shake, close his mouth, and refocus his eyes.

"Respect. Of course, how could I have forgotten the deference due to Lord Vyz. My deepest apologies.

"As to where you will fit, I think I know exactly the right place..."

Kivern pulls out several other sheets of paper covered in tables of dense writing and makes some careful notes.

"You are now an extra-ordinary special operations squad attached to the 24th Combat Wing of the White Dragonflight. You will report to your commanding officer tomorrow morning for your orders and details on compensation. Here's the information on your commander and accommodations."

He glances at Vyz, then stamps the paper with a solid metal rod. The paper glows briefly in a complex pattern.

"This will also authorize you to access the armory for equipment."

Kivern's tone is respectful, but Procas notices a nasty gleam in his eye and a contemptuous undertone to his polite words.

Sinpoder
2012-01-30, 08:46 AM
Sam knew that he did not have to get on this human's case, as his good friend and fellow good outsider Rywar. Sam would chuckle as he heard the human trying to give a speech that they were badass, because the fact is. They are. Sam is sure that either him or Rywar could kill this human before back-up arrived but that was just a guess.

Sam would look at his friend and he would pat him on the back, trying to get him to calm down but also telling him good job for scaring hiim this badly. Sam would then look at the paper and see what they would be doing on this mission.

BelGareth
2012-01-30, 11:13 AM
Rywar merely huffs at the apparent change of heart the commander displayed, his temper flared he was only calmed down a little by the comforting of his new companions.

With the stamp of approval and authority he turns to Lord Vyz and says "Well, I believe we should go to the armory now my Lord."

He seemingly seems calmed, his hackles have gone flat and his tone is calm.

GuyFawkes
2012-01-30, 01:11 PM
Procas

Nasty creature, this one. Intriguing. Whatever it is that makes this man so haughty to even display such behavior to a lord, much more a dragon lord, he is very much eager to know. As he smiles and gives attention to his companions speaking, Procas casually sizes up the colonel to gauge his prowess, if it could be a reason. But noticing his reaction on the leonal's outburst, it seems unlikely.

"An extra-ordinary special operations squad attached to the 24th Combat Wing of the White Dragonflight," he speaks the whole thing straight and mockingly draws breath as if out of air as he finishes. "I like it," he beams. He pauses a bit to ponder on how he could use that title to get his way around the ladies. He dislikes fighting, but with these beasts of the battlefield around him, he is certain to do nothing at all. Special operations squad. Oui, the ladies would love that. A weird smile creeps into his face.

Before too long, he interrupts his own daydream. "Well, I believe our business here is done! Thank you, Colonel, for your time." He bows at him slightly, then faces Vyz. "If you could please show us the way to the armory, my Lord. It looks like our business for the day is almost done."

Revmiren
2012-01-30, 07:18 PM
Sammael cannot make heads or tails of the sheet of paper. It is in Draconic, but appears to be written entirely in abbreviations, code words, and unfamiliar military jargon.

Vyz gives Kivern an unreadable look before turning back to you.

"Yes, the armory. Come, this way." He leads you back into the keep, this time descending below surface level. Vyz proceeds slowly, apparently deep in thought. Eventually he speaks, almost casually.

"You truly are strangers here. It is odd to think of, how different even our most basic experiences must be. We must get together some time and trade stories. I'm sure you are all full of the most wondrous tales, and perhaps learning more of this world would benefit you as well.

"Well, we will not lack for opportunities, given your deployment. Do you mind if I take a closer look at that paper?"

GuyFawkes
2012-01-31, 01:30 AM
Procas

Procas observes the dragon's reactions as all that is going on, but is hardpressed to find anything in his expressions. Though with what he said about them being different, he sees some opening.

"That would be most interesting! I do not know about my comrades here, but if you would like, we can do it later, oui? After our business for the day is done. That is, if you are free, of course."

Revmiren
2012-02-01, 09:26 AM
"Of course, of course..."

Vyz takes the sheet of orders and examines it, shaking his head.

"The 24th is my command, you know. I see here that Kivern has assigned you the wages and accommodations of militia recruits, with no duties whatsoever. Having you directly attached to my unit means that I'm responsible for giving you any additional assignments and compensating you for them. Typical of him."

GuyFawkes
2012-02-01, 10:10 AM
Procas

Hearing Vyz's words, Procas cannot help but smile. Crafty bastard. I don't know if I should commend him or despise him. He has guts, that I have to admit. And that's all the more reason that this matter intrigues me. Wonder if it's personal, though, or that guy really is like that to everyone. Seems the latter. For now anyway.

"That makes things simpler then! Now if you could give us an overview so we could prepare the appropriate equipment for our assignments."

BelGareth
2012-02-01, 02:03 PM
Rywar looks to Lord Vyz.

He smiles, making his two most prominent teeth poke out and bows "Well my lord, it seems that we are under your command. I am eager to do something other than walking around and posturing like Hounds."

"I would suggest that we become your personal Elite Guard, it allows us the leeway needed for special assignments and if you are ever in need we can come to your aid."

Have we lost people, feels like it's only me and Guy.

Also, do you know how hard it is to describe the canine teeth of a cat?:smallfurious:

Revmiren
2012-02-01, 07:25 PM
"Truth be told, even I don't know what we will be doing. There wasn't supposed to be any real combat at all on this expedition, but thats all out the window now. I suspect the elves are angling for another round of diplomacy with this show of force they just made, but I doubt Lord Astaron will permit it. He is very proud, and few things enrage him more than the deaths of his men."

Vyz sighs and pauses thoughtfully.

"I suppose the best thing for now is to simply suit you up with a decent set of combat gear and bring you up to speed on the situation."

GuyFawkes
2012-02-02, 12:43 AM
Procas

He smirks at the leonal's remark. Walking around and posturing like hounds. Oui, that's something up my alley, all right. And had it stayed the other way around, it would have been so. Soldiers at peacetime. Now that is some occupation I could live with. The respect you get and privileges. And all you have to do is roam around town or pretend to practice at the barracks! What is it with this matter with the elves, anyway? The more I hear about it, the more it becomes murkier.

"Yes, one of your men, the one who found us, as well as the good captain did give us an overview of the situation with the elves. But as it is, it is somewhat confusing. A more detailed explanation would be appropriate, if that is what our group would be involved in."

Revmiren
2012-02-03, 11:47 AM
Vyz thinks for a minute before responding.

"To be honest, the situation is fairly confusing to me as well. The facts are indisputable. There was an assassination attempt on the Crown Prince, and that attack was carried out by elven assassins. But beyond that, everything gets murky. For the past three months we've been negotiating with the elves, demanding that they either produce those responsible or allow us to make an investigation into finding the culprits. They've done nothing but deny any connection with the attacks and refuse to allow any additional outsiders into their country."

The dragon stops again to think, then continues.

"We've lived next to the elves for thousands of years, and we've been trading with them for centuries, but I don't think either side has ever really understood the other. The elves speak in riddles and poems, and few can make sense of anything they say. The capital has half a hundred scholars who claim to be experts on the elves, but none of them predicted anything like this."

Vyz chuckles.

"I shouldn't laugh, but this is a perfect example. Right after the assassination attempt, we sent a strongly worded note to the elven government, demanding an explanation. They sent back a story about a family of squirrels. Apparently it was supposed to be a metaphor for the whole situation, but you can see how dealing with that can be… difficult.

"Eventually the Emperor, may he be cloaked in a mantle of victory, grew tired of their evasions and made an ultimatum. One last chance to deliver a good explanation, or allow us to find one, or else Lord Astaron would march an army into Eldalond, occupy the city, and find those responsible himself. They still refused, and even had the nerve to say that any violation of their territory would be treated as an act of war. Our best estimates put this force at forty times the size of their entire army, and no one really thought they would dare to start open conflict. But here we are, and I doubt Lord Astaron will simply fold up and go home now that they've shown they're willing to fight."

BelGareth
2012-02-03, 12:15 PM
Rywar listens intently, this white dragon was a smart creature and he assured himself that he was in the company of a good being, despite the outside appearance otherwise.

He turns his head sideways as does "Well then My lord, I would believe a good scouting would be in order? Let us equip ourselves and then we can go out and see these elves. We are new comers and they will not know of us."

"And if they do get ornery then we can claim ignorance." he finishes with a toothy smile.

Lol, the forum masked a word I used to describe him turning his head sideways, surprised me a little.
I'll give you a hint as to what it was, a male chicken.

Sinpoder
2012-02-03, 02:56 PM
Sam looked at this and he thought about this. Sam had a theory that someone was trying to break this system down... having elven assassins should not be too hard to come by but what did Sam know about this world. Sam would shrug as he then thought about that, before saying I agree... allow us to equip ourselves and we will go in and find out whatever you need.

Revmiren
2012-02-03, 11:17 PM
"Hrmmmmm. That does sound like it could be promising. The Dragonguard scouting groups found out next to nothing, and any more information would be very welcome.

"Keep in mind though, the elves may have been watching you while you were in the forest. It's very possible that they know you are working for us now, and they may simply attack you as soon as you enter the forest."

GuyFawkes
2012-02-03, 11:44 PM
Procas

"Oui, oui, interesting prospect, it is. An outsider's point of view is very much appropriate here," he nods at his companions' suggestion, but inside, he is very much disappointed. If they did get sent, when? Would he even have the time to relax and enjoy the city?

"Though you have a point. They might have seen us. In fact, most probably the have. But, in the off chance that they did not, we should still gamble it. We have nothing to lose. We are but a few men, and if we could prevent an all out war, it is worth it. Of course, that is not to say we cannot get out of whatever trap they lay in ambush. My companions can take care of it, I am sure. Hahaha!"

After he finishes his laugh, he speaks again. "But we have to take care with our equipment though. Do your weapons have emblems of the empire etched on them? Better if the ones we are issued with do not have them, to prevent complication."

Revmiren
2012-02-07, 08:17 PM
"That should not be too hard to accomplish. But here is the armory, you can see for yourself."

You have arrived at a large, reinforced wooden door deep in the bowels of the castle. Vyz knocks politely before pushing the door open and crawling through, leading you into a massive chamber lined with weapons and armor. The clangor of forges at work seeps through thick doors that line the chamber walls. Several desks sit near the door, occupied by scribes. Colonel Trezyn, an elderly man in the uniform of the Brass Dragonguard, sits at one, and Vyz introduces you.

Trezyn, although somewhat laconic, is much more polite than Kivern, and when you show him the letter he pulls out several thick tomes for you to browse. They hold long lists of magic items, along with descriptions and various code numbers. Trezyn explains that the army rarely carries specialized magical equipment with it without need, so your equipment will be teleported in from one of the major cities after you select what you need.

(They have available any item listed in the DMG or MIC. You may select any number of minor and medium magical items, and up to 3 major magical items, total value not exceeding 200,000 gp. In addition, you are issued the following two items:

Dragonguard Ring, Command Rank: This Ring, snowy white and inscribed with the symbols of the White Dragonguard, acts as a Ring of Communication [MIC] and a Ring of Sustenance, and grants its wearer the continuous effects of Shield and Protection from Evil. Vyz suggests that you wear it under a pair of gloves or gauntlets while in the forest if you plan to deny connection to the Empire.

Boots of Travel: These boots grant the wearer the effects of a continuous Air Walk spell. In addition, they allow the use of Teleport three times per day as a standard action.

You can just list the items you're getting on your character sheet, no need to clutter the in game thread.)

The visit to the armory goes smoothly, and Vyz assures Procas that he will be able to visit the forges whenever he wishes to work on whatever personal weapons he referred to previously. Vyz remains fairly quiet while you pore over the long lists of equipment, but speaks up again once you've made your final choices.

"Well, now our business is finally done, if perhaps not as smoothly as anticipated. I cannot allow Kivern to force you into the dirt and mud with his pettiness, but there are still some inns available in this city that I think I can get you into. I have no further duties tonight, and you will be going nowhere until your gear arrives in a day or two. I simply must place myself at your disposal. Do you perhaps wish to explore the city, or simply go immediately to rest? I fear all this bustling around after so long a journey must have tired you terribly."

GuyFawkes
2012-02-08, 11:25 AM
Procas

Procas enters through the large wooden doors and greets the man in charge with a curtly bow. He would engage in mindless chatter, but the clang of steel and other metals and the shine and magical aura from the armor and weapons and military gear and equipment catches his attention. He is not fond of a fight, but these curious things sure does tickle his fancy. After all, a small trinket here or there makes it easier for him around the ladies.

When the colonel offers the tomes containing the list of equipment, Procas immediately takes one and browses through them. Enumerating what he needs, he finishes quickly and waits for the others.

"Thank you, my lord. For taking care of us. Well, now that this part is done, perhaps that drink then? Of course after we settle the business of our lodging. I am eager to hear your tales, as I am sure you are of mine."

Sinpoder
2012-02-08, 05:47 PM
Sammy would look around he would nod his approval as he would then keep walking. As the tome came to him, he would quickly write down exactly what he needed and he would quickly write down everything he needed. Sammy would then walk around as he would tell the people that he could love to go check out the city. Sam would wave at his new found friends and he would then start to walk off into the city, though he expect his new employeers to follow him.

BelGareth
2012-02-08, 05:50 PM
Rywar looks to the man slightly surprised, he was a little shocked that they would give away so much wealth to people they had barely met. Even if they had saved a group of their knights.

Shaking his head and thinking "Strange people" to himself he takes the paper and marks what he thinks he will need.