PDA

View Full Version : Half-dwarves

mumwithdice
2012-01-03, 03:55 AM
Are there any? If so, how do you determine stats? If not, why not?

Drglenn
2012-01-03, 04:27 AM
D&D 4e has the Mul race which are half dwarves. Stat-wise they're pretty much just taller dwarves with a different racial power and the ability to take human feats instead of dwarven ones

Conners
2012-01-03, 04:28 AM
In a lot of ways, dwarves are just shorter humans. A half-dwarf would probably be just a dwarf-like human, or a human-like dwarf.

Togath
2012-01-03, 04:35 AM
D&D 4e has the Mul race which are half dwarves. Stat-wise they're pretty much just taller dwarves with a different racial power and the ability to take human feats instead of dwarven ones

the Muls have actually existed since 2E, having originated(if I remember correctly anyway) in the darksun campaign setting, and in editions other then 4E they usually have either extra skill with psionics, or a natural psionic power they can use a few times per day

EccentricCircle
2012-01-03, 08:14 AM
we once created a Dwelf racial package, by combining the most appropriate parts of the dwarf and elf racial abilities. it worked pretty well and with a little care can be done for any race combination. the trick is to compare the homebrewed racial package to a range of other standard races to ensure that its comparable.
Dwelf was easier than some, as we already knew what a half elf/half human, should look like.

Ivellius
2012-01-03, 09:44 AM
The Hamunaptra campaign setting by Green Ronin also has half-dwarf/half-elves, because elves are the favored creation of Isis and can interbreed with practically any race. I believe they had a Wisdom bonus and a Charisma penalty, but then the dwarves of that setting also had a Wisdom bonus if I'm remembering correctly.

And I don't know how they are in 4e, but Dark Sun's half-dwarves were sterile.

LibraryOgre
2012-01-03, 09:25 PM
As mentioned, Dark Sun had Muls.

In the Forgotten Realms (per Dwarves' Deep), dwarves could interbreed with most of the normal races, but the offspring was always considered a dwarf. Since many dwarf women are sterile, women of other races who lived with dwarves, as a dwarf, were highly regarded.

DontEatRawHagis
2012-01-03, 10:07 PM

What edition are you using?

If you use Muls, note that they are usually hairless, Taller than Humans, Muscle bound, and sometimes sterile(this was mentioned outside of campaign setting documents).

LibraryOgre
2012-01-03, 10:50 PM
What edition are you using?

If you use Muls, note that they are usually hairless, Taller than Humans, Muscle bound, and sometimes sterile(this was mentioned outside of campaign setting documents).

Actually, it was mentioned specifically in the campaign setting documents in 2e.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-03, 11:05 PM
Based on half-elves:

-no stat boost
-no bonus feat or skill points
-a few pluses to some dwarf-like skills
-a smaller bonus to saving throws against poisons

That sound about right?

The Witch-King
2012-01-04, 12:08 AM
My first thought was just halve the stat modifiers. So for 3.5, you'd have +1 Constitution, -1 Charisma. Pathfinder Dwarves get +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, –2 Charisma, so a Pathfinder Half-Dwarf would get +1 Constitution, +1 Wisdom and -1 Charisma.

Dwarves get Darkvision, so a Half-Dwarf would get Low-light vision.

Give them Dwarf Blood: Half-dwarves count as both humans and dwarves for any effect related to race.

And pretty much play by ear from there.

mumwithdice
2012-01-04, 08:14 AM
I was thinking Pathfinder or 3.5 edition, but I didn't really have any intentions. My husband and I were just musing on the idea that to humans everything looks shaggable. We thought dwarves might be the exception, but we were clearly wrong.

Thanks very much. I will keep this thread for reference.

The Witch-King
2012-01-04, 09:09 AM
I was thinking Pathfinder or 3.5 edition, but I didn't really have any intentions. My husband and I were just musing on the idea that to humans everything looks shaggable. We thought dwarves might be the exception, but we were clearly wrong.

Artorder.ning.com does a D&D Pin-up contest. I've seen humans, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, tieflings, succubi, elves (including drow), the lot.

EDIT: I feel silly saying it because I've already said it was a pin-up contest and I didn't give a direct link but it's NSFW. So there--I told you.

Rorrik
2012-01-04, 10:40 AM
Based on half-elves:

-no stat boost
-no bonus feat or skill points
-a few pluses to some dwarf-like skills
-a smaller bonus to saving throws against poisons

That sound about right?

Sounds about right to me. I'd add the human and half-elf cross class ease and depending on the half-dwarf's upbringing add proficiency with exotic dwarven weapons

I had a race of escaped drow slaves who had interbred to the point of being nearly homogeneous, mostly human, dwarf, dark elf and elf ancestry.

missmvicious
2012-01-04, 02:46 PM

Which rule-set?

In D&D 3.5, there is a rule book called Bastards and Bloodlines that gives you step-by-step instructions for building any half-this half-that you want. Any... one... you... want.

They had a Half-Gnome Half-Cloaker in there. I'm pretty sure that counts as bestiality cross-breeding there.

Balain
2012-01-04, 04:17 PM
I remember years ago reading about other half breds like half dwarf or half gnome or even dwarf/elf or elf/Orc. The general rule was that those type of half breeds was basically a dwarf or human or whatever. You picked the half that you wanted to be like. Although you could add blood, so if you were say dwarf/elf you looked like a dwarf(or elf) with all the same stats, but anything that would effect an elf or a dwarf would effect you.

The Glyphstone
2012-01-04, 04:28 PM

I wish I had that sig-quote handy about how everything looks like a girl to humans.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-04, 05:20 PM
Sounds about right to me. I'd add the human and half-elf cross class ease and depending on the half-dwarf's upbringing add proficiency with exotic dwarven weapons

I had a race of escaped drow slaves who had interbred to the point of being nearly homogeneous, mostly human, dwarf, dark elf and elf ancestry.

...I don't think he was serious. Half-elves are TERRIBLE. At least half-orcs are decent in core-only, where bonus feat isn't worth as much as +1 to hit and damage, although they're still strictly worse than full humans and orcs. Half-elves get a total of +7 to skills, which would be good, if you could choose the skills. Strictly worse than skill points. Then they get immunity to a couple spells and a saving throw bonus that's strictly worse than the dwarf one or Iron Will. Finally, it can stand night watch as good as day watch... but it still has to spot the thief sneaking around.

Strormer
2012-01-05, 02:37 AM
I did a half-dwarf/half-orc mix which was a lot of run rp wise, but crunch wise he only really had +Con/-Int and orc blood/dwarf blood. Most of the dwarf crunch is based on culture, not physical benefits.

GodGoblin
2012-01-05, 06:08 AM
Im sure there is a fan made 3.5 Darksun setting knocking about on the net, Muls should be in there. Its fan done but aparantly very very good.

Strormer
2012-01-05, 11:31 AM
Dark Sun 3.5 (http://athas.org/)

Psyren
2012-01-05, 05:16 PM
Question: Is it pronounced MULES or MULLS?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-05, 05:32 PM
Question: Is it pronounced MULES or MULLS?

Mules is derogatory.

DarkEricDraven
2012-01-05, 05:33 PM
Dwarves and humans are fine, just don't crossbreed dwarves and gnomes. The results...aren't pretty.

LibraryOgre
2012-01-05, 06:10 PM
Mules is derogatory.

Per 4th edition. It was not explicitly so in 2e, and I don't know why it would be, in a world with neither horses nor donkeys nor their crossbreeds.

Chilingsworth
2012-01-05, 06:13 PM
Dwarves and humans are fine, just don't crossbreed dwarves and gnomes. The results...aren't pretty.

I was wondering when gully dwarves would get mentioned.

Zaydos
2012-01-05, 07:18 PM
There's a Dragonlance book, and a Forgotten Realms book with 3.X half-dwarves (I think it's the races of X for both). There are muls from Dark Sun (2e, 3.5 Dragon Magazine, 3.5 fan update, 4e). I'm fairly sure there are some homebrewed somewhere on these forums (I know I have half dwarf stats somewhere on my computer, don't know if I ever bothered to post them, for example).

Lord.Sorasen
2012-01-05, 08:00 PM

I think you might be referencing something, but I can't help imagining the result of such a cross breed would be exactly like the korobokuru presented in Oriental Adventures.

Chilingsworth
2012-01-06, 10:36 AM
Also, at least in Greyhawk, Derro are the result of crossbreeding between dwarves and humans, though with some additional magical experimentation.