PDA

View Full Version : Collaborative system?

pasko77
2012-01-05, 11:43 AM
Hello playground,
I'm currently looking for collaborative game systems for a fantasy or steampunk game. For who doesn't know, "collaborative" means that the effort of telling the story is shifted from the gm to all the players, which don't just use their character but also help to flesh the story.

So far I found the truly excellent Geiger Counter, which is extremely collaborative, so much that it is gm-less, but it only focuses on horror stories and one-shot sessions. any other titles of interest?

Tnx :)

Lapak
2012-01-05, 11:56 AM
In A Wicked Age fits this description in many ways.

- The setting and background plot of any given session is heavily influenced by the character creation process; for example, rather than the GM deciding that a Thief's Guild exists in the setting and a player choosing to be a member, the fact that a player chooses to make his character the Master of Thieves creates/implies the existence of a guild as a side-effect.

- Conflicts are resolved through negotiation between players, and the agreed-upon course of events between the players involved is what actually happens.

Basically, the GM sets the scene at the beginning of each session based on a random draw of Oracles and the characters that each player creates in response. After that it's at least as much in the hands of the players what actually happens in the plot.

pasko77
2012-01-05, 05:01 PM
Thanks!
Unfortunately, IAWA is way too competitive. Practically, its intended result is to have the Pcs killing eachother with the gm cackling like a madman, and that's... not exactly what I want.

valadil
2012-01-05, 05:05 PM
Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but the most collaborative storytelling potential I've ever found in a game comes from Dresden Files, which is an implementation of FATE.

pasko77
2012-01-05, 07:56 PM
Interesting info. Is there a free versione of the ruleset?
As I recall, Dresden File is not free, and I couldn't find a demo.

Raum
2012-01-05, 08:49 PM
I'll second FATE. And yes, there are several free versions. Here's one (http://www.ukroleplayers.com/downloads/free-fate/). There's also an SRD for Spirit of the Century, a partial SRD for Dresden Files, and several fan created 2 to 40+ page versions.

Thane of Fife
2012-01-05, 11:09 PM
The Sun Never Sets (http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/the-sun-never-sets) is an Occult Conspiracy game set in the mid-late 19th century. It doesn't default to steampunk, but that would certainly be doable.

It is moderately collaborative - while the bulk of things still fall on a GM, the game relies heavily on a "Flashback" mechanic, by which the players are able to define the background of the game by having flashbacks.

pasko77
2012-01-06, 12:46 PM
thank you all. I'm reading the pdfs now.:smallcool: