PDA

View Full Version : The Ascetic (A Vow of Poverty Prestige Class, 3.5 PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-05, 01:54 PM
The Ascetic

Prerequisites: To become an ascetic, you must meet the following prerequisites:

Alignment: Any good
Feats: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, any 2 other exalted feats
Special: Character Level 5

HD: d12
Class Skills: An ascetic treats all skills except Appraise, Use Magic Device, and Use Psionic Device as class skills.
Skill Points: 8+Int per level

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+2|Greater Vow (AC), Class Progression

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Inner Magic

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|Greater Vow (Feats)

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Inner Magic

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+4|Greater Vow (Enhancement Bonuses), Drain Magic Item

6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+5|Inner Magic

7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+5|Greater Vow (Ability Scores)

8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+6|Inner Magic

9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+6|Greater Vow (Damage Reduction)

10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+7|Inner Magic, Sainthood
[/table]

Class Features: The class features of an ascetic are

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An ascetic gains simple weapon proficiency.

Greater Vow (Su): An ascetic completely devotes herself to a life of poverty, only needing the clothes on her back and the sun and the sky. She is happy without possessions, and the essence of exalted flows through her. She receives several benefits to her Vow of Poverty feat as she progresses through this class.

AC: An ascetic increases her armor, natural armor, and deflection bonuses to AC from her Vow of Poverty feat by +1 each per class level (if she does not have such a bonus yet from her feat, she does not gain the benefits of this class feature for that bonus until she receives the bonus itself)

Feats: Beginning at 3rd level, an ascetic may choose any non-Vile feat she qualifies for as a bonus feat from her Vow of Poverty, instead of a bonus exalted feat. This does not affect the bonus exalted feats she has already gained.

Enhancement Bonuses: Beginning at 5th level, an ascetic may choose any number of weapon enhancement abilities to add to all her manufactured and natural weapons. The total enhancement bonus of these abilities may not exceed the enhancement bonus she receives to her attack and damage rolls with weapons from her Vow of Poverty feat. She may change the weapon enhancements as a full-round action at-will.

Ability Scores: Beginning at 7th level, the ascetic's enhancement bonuses to her ability scores from the Vow of Poverty feat are treated as untyped instead.

Damage Reduction: Beginning at 9th level, the ascetic's damage reduction gained from the Vow of Poverty feat cannot be overcome by any weapon (like DR/-) and the amount of damage reduction she receives from the feat is doubled.

Class Progression: At 1st level, the ascetic chooses a base class that she has levels in. Once she has chosen the base class, she may not change her mind. At 1st level, and each odd level after that, she gains class features from that base class as if she had gained a level in it (including spellcasting, etc), as well as an increased effective class level (increased paladin level for Smite, increased rogue level for Improved Uncanny Dodge, and an increased caster/manifester etc level).

Inner Magic (Su): At 2nd level, and every even level after that, the ascetic may choose a single magic item that grants a continuous ability (such as a ring of evasion or a ring of freedom of movement). The minimum caster level of this item must be lower than her character level. She gains the benefits of that magic item, continuously, as a supernatural ability that automatically resumes as a free action on her next turn if it is dispelled or suppressed. If the item has other benefits than a continuous effect, such as a ring of elemental command, she gains none of the non-continuous benefits. (For example, an ascetic with a character level of 15 chose a ring of water elemental command as her item. She cannot be attacked by water elementals, she gets a +2 resistance bonus to saves against a water elemental's attacks, she gets a +4 morale bonus on her attack rolls against a water elemental, creatures from the Plane of Water who attack her receive a -1 penalty on their attack rolls, and she takes a -2 penalty on her saving throws against fire-based effects, but she does not get to use charm monster on water elementals, nor can she use any of the spell-like abilities the ring normally grants).

Alternatively, an ascetic may choose a magic item with a use-activated ability that can be used at will, such as a ring of invisibility. She gains the ability to use the activated ability as if she was wearing the item (spending the required action each time).

Drain Magic Item (Su): Beginning at 5th level, an ascetic may touch a use-activated magic item with a limited number of charges, such as a wand or a staff, and draw its power into her. This ability requires an hour of uninterrupted concentration and holding of the item. The touch attack itself provokes an attack of opportunity if the item is being held by another creature. Holding the item for an hour for the purposes of draining it does not break an ascetic's Vow of Poverty.

At the end of the hour, the item is destroyed (no save, but artifacts and intelligent items are immune to this effect) and the ascetic draws all the remaining charges into herself, gaining the ability to use them as spell-like abilities. She has no daily uses, but once she consumes all the charges the item has left, she is out of uses. Treat this ability in all ways as if she were using the item (so for wands, she would use the caster level of the creator and etc). For staff use, treat the ascetic's caster level as being equal to her character level.

The ascetic is never treated as being able to cast these spells as spell-like abilities for any reason (though she is able to) such as for the Favored Enemy: Arcanists class feature of a ranger or meeting the prerequisites of the Mindbender or Mindspy prestige classes.

Sainthood (Su): At 10th level, the deities of Good reward the ascetic for her devotion and grant her sainthood. She gains the Saint template (BoED), with no Level Adjustment. If she already has the Saint template, she instead loses the Level Adjustment she already accrued from it.

Ex-Ascetics: An ascetic whose alignment ceases to be good loses all benefits of her class features until she receives an atonement spell and her alignment changes back to good. Until that happens, she may not take any more levels of ascetic. An ascetic who repents recovers her Saint template, if she lost it.

An ascetic who breaks her Vow of Poverty loses all her class features, including the Saint template, can never take levels in ascetic again, and is cursed by her inner magic for her betrayal. Any magic item that the ascetic holds, wears, carries or touches has all of its abilities suppressed (this does not affect intelligent magic items or artifacts, but normal magic items receive no saving throw) for as long as she continues to hold, wear, carry or touch it. The only way to break this curse is with a miracle spell, cast by a cleric of a good deity.

General Patton
2012-01-05, 04:40 PM
Drain Magic Item actually goes against the donate-all-wealth aspect of the VoP. In fact, it fosters greed for magic items as a source of power. Ascetics are supposed to preserve any wealth they can obtain and seek it out for the sole purpose of providing for the less-fortunate.

Might I recommend a capstone for this?
Transcend The Flesh (Ex): At level 10, the Ascetic comes to realize that their blessed flesh would benefit others more than theirself. The Ascetic separates from their body and gains the benefits of the Deathless type and Outsider(Native) type, but may ignore any negative effects of these types and be treated as their original type when it would be beneficial. Furthermore, their still-living body becomes a holy artifact permanently blessed by their piety and self-sacrifice. A one mile radius area around their body becomes Hallowed with one associated spell effect of their choosing(as the spell, Hallow), Minorly Positive-Dominant and Strongly Good-Aligned. The spell effect associated with the Hallow effect may be changed once per month. This area follows the body if it is moved. If the body is properly enshrined within a church or other location sacred to a Good-Aligned diety, the radius of these effects increases by one mile per week, to a maximum of eight miles. The Ascetic's reputation as the origin of this legendary holy relic grants them a +6 bonus to diplomacy checks with Good-Aligned creatures.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-05, 04:43 PM
...So they become Incorporeal? That doesn't seem like a very good idea. After all, some of those who take this class will be melee fighters, and having them lose their Strength score as a class feature seems like bad design. Plus, your capstone doesn't grant them a touch attack or a manifestation ability or anything...so it basically leaves them pretty defenseless unless they're a caster...

General Patton
2012-01-05, 05:03 PM
I never said they become Incorporeal, just that their soul separates from their body. Outsiders get to have their souls function as a physical body. You basicly get to adopt that dual nature yourself with a semi-solid soul. Heck, since it says you can ignore any detriments specific to those types, you even get to keep your constitution score, which will never be a weakness since you are immune to ability damage to your physical ability scores and ability drain.

Kenneth
2012-01-05, 05:08 PM
shameless plug for my own homebrewed Vow of Poverty to be used in Vow of Poverty Kenneth Style. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12433473&postcount=15)relation with this PrC.

now even more crazily 'tank-ish' with other cool abilities.

Noctis Vigil
2012-01-05, 06:56 PM
I like this a lot, but I do agree that it needs a capstone ability. I also have to agree that the Drain Magic Item ability is counter-intuitive to the Vow of Poverty. It would work very poorly if your GM allows unlimited-charge wands, as well.

Personally, I think it should have some kind of bonus granted when you make a donation or give to someone who needs it.

Also, where is the Deathless type you mentioned, Patton? I'm curious now.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-05, 06:57 PM
I like this a lot, but I do agree that it needs a capstone ability. I also have to agree that the Drain Magic Item ability is counter-intuitive to the Vow of Poverty. It would work very poorly if your GM allows unlimited-charge wands, as well.

Personally, I think it should have some kind of bonus granted when you make a donation or give to someone who needs it.

That doesn't work. Because then you're being rewarded for generosity, and that makes it not generosity anymore, as you are not volunteering, but giving on the basis of receiving a reward.

Noctis Vigil
2012-01-05, 07:05 PM
That's pretty much the whole point of VoP, dude. You give up one thing (wealth) in exchange for another (power). Sure, they coat it in religious fluff in the BoED, but that's what it boils down to crunch-wise.

This PrC gives me a good idea, though. Thanks, NeoSeraphi. :smallbiggrin:

General Patton
2012-01-05, 08:39 PM
Also, where is the Deathless type you mentioned, Patton? I'm curious now.

Book of Exalted Deeds pg 157
It is essentially a good/holy counterpart to undead. Has a lot of nice features and immunities, but also some stuff a player might not want, like losing their Constitution score and ability to run.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-05, 08:46 PM
Added the Sainthood feature as a capstone.

Noctis Vigil
2012-01-06, 03:57 PM
And what a capstone! I like! :smallbiggrin:

One thing about the Saint template is that if you lose it, you can't regain it, IIRC. You should probably either mention that in the Ex-Ascetics section, or make a clause that specifically states you regain it if you atone.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-06, 04:48 PM
And what a capstone! I like! :smallbiggrin:

One thing about the Saint template is that if you lose it, you can't regain it, IIRC. You should probably either mention that in the Ex-Ascetics section, or make a clause that specifically states you regain it if you atone.

Okay, done

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-22, 10:44 AM
So, would this class be better if I just removed Drain Magic Item, then? I mean, I wanted to give the ascetic active options like other players get, but if it really does break the fluff too much I can remove it (though that reduces this class to being almost purely passive)

Noctis Vigil
2012-02-22, 10:28 PM
I personally think it leads to Ascetics who would end up hoarding magic items, they just don't hoard the physical item itself. It just doesn't jive well with the rest of the class (although it's a cool mechanic that could definitely be worked with elsewhere). I also agree that the class is overly passive, though. I'd come up with some other ability for him that is active instead.

Alternatively, you could change the ability to let him attempt to absorb a charge of an item when it is used against him. Maybe give him SR, but whenever an item or spell fails to overcome the SR, he absorbs the charge to use later as a SLA.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-22, 10:32 PM
I personally think it leads to Ascetics who would end up hoarding magic items, they just don't hoard the physical item itself. It just doesn't jive well with the rest of the class (although it's a cool mechanic that could definitely be worked with elsewhere). I also agree that the class is overly passive, though. I'd come up with some other ability for him that is active instead.

Alternatively, you could change the ability to let him attempt to absorb a charge of an item when it is used against him. Maybe give him SR, but whenever an item or spell fails to overcome the SR, he absorbs the charge to use later as a SLA.

That's too varied on the DM, though. You can only gain spells that the DM decides to throw at you, and only if their caster level is low enough to not penetrate your SR.

Noctis Vigil
2012-02-22, 10:38 PM
SR12+character level. You'll be absorbing spells of your appropriate level of play a little more than half the time, and lower level spells far more frequently. This will make the ability useful without guaranteeing you get every 9th level spell used at you as an SLA. As for the GM needing to throw it at you, the GM still needs to let you have the magic items to absorb as the ability is stated now, so I don't see a problem. The difference in your version and mine is that he gets more defense, and guarantees that your "poor" character isn't hoarding WBL that he shouldn't have access to.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-22, 10:40 PM
SR12+character level. You'll be absorbing spells of your appropriate level of play a little more than half the time, and lower level spells far more frequently. This will make the ability useful without guaranteeing you get every 9th level spell used at you as an SLA. As for the GM needing to throw it at you, the GM still needs to let you have the magic items to absorb as the ability is stated now, so I don't see a problem. The difference in your version and mine is that he gets more defense, and guarantees that your "poor" character isn't hoarding WBL that he shouldn't have access to.

Yes, and the difference between yours and mine is that your version only gets access to offensive spells. With me, he could get invisibility, summon monster, fly, but with you he gets things like dominate person and fireball. And I feel that's too restrictive.

Noctis Vigil
2012-02-23, 02:57 AM
Not necessarily. Remember, he can choose to let spells that cause harmless/beneficial effects need to get through his SR instead of automatically effecting him according to standard SR rules. So yes, he can have his buddies throw spells at him in his down time to get helpful SLAs. Slightly unorthodox, but certainly useful.

Heliomance
2012-02-23, 04:31 AM
That's pretty much the whole point of VoP, dude. You give up one thing (wealth) in exchange for another (power). Sure, they coat it in religious fluff in the BoED, but that's what it boils down to crunch-wise.

This PrC gives me a good idea, though. Thanks, NeoSeraphi. :smallbiggrin:

That's really really not the point of VoP. You're not giving up wealth for power - the maths has been run many times, and in all but the lowest loot games (and maybe for Druids and Soulmelders) the benefits from VoP are strictly inferior to what you could have with magic items. No, the point of VoP is to make it possible to play an ascetic for RP reasons without horrifically gimping yourself.

silphael
2012-02-23, 07:47 AM
I have a question... With Inner Magic, can you reproduce the effects of an item that gives an enhancement bonus to stats? Because if yes, taking it on a belt of magnifience or something like that could be a little too powerfull, no?

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-23, 09:10 AM
I have a question... With Inner Magic, can you reproduce the effects of an item that gives an enhancement bonus to stats? Because if yes, taking it on a belt of magnifience or something like that could be a little too powerfull, no?

Sure, you could, but it wouldn't stack with the enhancement bonus you get from Vow of Poverty, so that would pretty much be a waste.

Heliomance
2012-02-23, 09:13 AM
But at 7th level the bonuses to abilities from VoP become untyped...

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-23, 09:27 AM
But at 7th level the bonuses to abilities from VoP become untyped...

Yes. So yeah, I guess you could get a belt of magnificence and increase your ability scores by +6 as well. I don't know what the caster level of it is, but sure.

silphael
2012-02-23, 03:31 PM
Belt of Magnificience are CL 18th. That makes it less abusable.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-23, 03:40 PM
Belt of Magnificience are CL 18th. That makes it less abusable.

Right, so unless you delay entry until 9th level, you wouldn't get it until the capstone, at 19th level. So...yeah. Pretty harsh price to pay there, I think I'd rather become a Saint at 15th.

NeoSeraphi
2012-12-20, 02:35 AM
Updated with some suggestions from PEACHer Lestroisrois. Added the Class Progression feature to allow for some improvements to your chosen base class, although only every odd level (because you're gaining 30 AC from this class, it's kind of ridiculous to just stack it on your base class).

Additionally, changed Inner Magic to allow at-will use-activated magic items.

Arcanist
2012-12-20, 09:34 PM
I love this prestige class so much. Makes me contemplate the idea of making a Holy Dragon :smalltongue: