PDA

View Full Version : Primary, Secondary, and....Tertiary?!

u-raptor
2012-01-05, 09:59 PM
okay, so im creating this custom class for my own campaign. and the generator im using asks me for primary, secondary, and tertiary roles. I know what primary and secondary is. So i put leader as primary, striker as secondary, but hwats tertiary? is that like third role? I put controller as third, but im not sure if tertiary is good or bad. I want the character as a leader whose really good at magic and swordsmanship. Sorry, i know, probably a noobish question :smallfrown: .

Tegu8788
2012-01-05, 10:10 PM
Yes, it is third. Bronze place, the letter C. As for the rest, I leave that to the playground.

NecroRebel
2012-01-05, 10:58 PM
Yes, tertiary roughly means "third" or, more specifically, "third most important." There are exactly 4 roles, so it's basically asking which you want the class to do best, what distinguishes it from other classes of the same role, what it doesn't do very well, and what it doesn't do at all.

Basically, a leader-striker-controller-defender should have lots of ability to heal allies and boost allies' attacks, some ability to deal good single-target damage, a bit of ability to limit several enemies' options, and minimal ability to forcibly redirect enemy attacks to themself.

What the flavor is doesn't actually matter, and the "really good at magic and swordsmanship" thing is flavor or fluff. Any role could be those; the Swordmage is an example of a defender with that description, the Bladesinger I understand is a controller and is a swordsman wizard, an Avenger could be such a striker, and a warlord could be a leader that uses a blade and (healing or morale-boosting) magic.

Sorcerer Blob
2012-01-06, 03:27 PM
Out of curiosity, what generator are you using?

Mando Knight
2012-01-06, 03:45 PM
I want the character as a leader whose really good at magic and swordsmanship.

And not the Bard, Artificer, or Warlord multiclassed as appropriate into something like Paladin, Swordmage, or Wizard, I presume?

u-raptor
2012-01-07, 11:43 AM
Out of curiosity, what generator are you using?

Im using the 4e power toolkit.

Also thanks for the help guys, i was just confused on that.

KillianHawkeye
2012-01-07, 06:06 PM
www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com)

It's a whole website with the meanings of various words!

u-raptor
2012-01-07, 09:57 PM
www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com)

It's a whole website with the meanings of various words!

Lol good one, never thought of that. I thought that D&D made the word up.

hamishspence
2012-01-08, 10:35 AM
I remember Tertiary mostly from books about prehistory- where it (and Quaternary) were remnants of a geological classification system for eras that went Primary, Secondary, Tertiary, Quaternary.

The first two are no longer used.

MeeposFire
2012-01-08, 10:25 PM
It think that they have tertiary listed in case you are a hybrid class in which case it can be possible that you may have a tertiary role.