Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One creature/level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell empties targets' stomachs, making them hungry. While the hunger itself doesn't affect the targets in any way, secondary effects (like an animal suddenly leaping on the nearest edible thing) may happen.

Hasty Cantrip
Universal
Level: Brd 0, Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: See text

On your next turn, you can cast one cantrip or orison as a free action.

Luck's Whim
Universal
Level: Brd 0, Luck 1, Sor/Wiz 0
Range: Touch
Target: Touched creature
Duration: 1 hour
Saving Throw: None

The target of this spell is granted just a bit of luck. If the target creature would fail a skill check or ability check by 1, it instead doesn't fail, but is granted the chance to roll again, taking the second roll, regardless of its result.

Pest Control
Enchantment (Compulsion)
Level: Drd 0, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: Two fine vermin/level
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text

This spell allows you to take control of a number of vermin. The vermin you attempt to control all roll their Will saves together unless any of their values are different, in which case those vermin roll separately.

ericgrau
2012-01-06, 03:21 PM
Hasty cantrips could let an arcane trickster do sneak attack damage 3 times in 2 rounds (free, standard, swift on round 2). Swift actions in general are a bit much for level 0 spells.

The rest are kinda neat. Always nice to have more cantrips.

Temotei
2012-01-06, 03:40 PM
Hasty cantrips could let an arcane trickster do sneak attack damage 3 times in 2 rounds (free, standard, swift on round 2). Swift actions in general are a bit much for level 0 spells.

The rest are kinda neat. Always nice to have more cantrips.

Alright, it's changed so that there's a free-action cantrip on the next round.

bloodtide
2012-01-06, 04:08 PM
Appetite is ok, but you might want to state a set effect. What does a hungry creature do? Do they stop and eat? Do they attack? Are they helpless? There is a lot of vague things that can happen. For example, if you make a wolf hungry, it will simply attack the closest 'food' like the caster.

Hasty Cantrips should be 'Cantrip' right as you only get one. But a standard action one round to get a free cantrip in the next round? That's not much use...

Luck's Whim looks fine.

Pest Control looks ok, until you get to the spellcaster part where the vermin gain supernatural ability to effect spellcasting. So a normal rat would follow the normal rules for making a concentration check vs a spellcaster, but a rat effected by this spell gets some kind of auto concentration check? And how about other actions anyway? Why is only spellcasting singled out as a big deal?

Temotei
2012-01-06, 04:23 PM
Appetite is ok, but you might want to state a set effect. What does a hungry creature do? Do they stop and eat? Do they attack? Are they helpless? There is a lot of vague things that can happen. For example, if you make a wolf hungry, it will simply attack the closest 'food' like the caster.

I've added a second sentence for clarity more than anything.

Hasty Cantrips should be 'Cantrip' right as you only get one. But a standard action one round to get a free cantrip in the next round? That's not much use...

Whoops. I meant to change the action to be swift. I'm considering making it so that the next round's cantrip is also a swift action. Thoughts?

Pest Control looks ok, until you get to the spellcaster part where the vermin gain supernatural ability to effect spellcasting. So a normal rat would follow the normal rules for making a concentration check vs a spellcaster, but a rat effected by this spell gets some kind of auto concentration check? And how about other actions anyway? Why is only spellcasting singled out as a big deal?

I think rats are diminutive, but besides that, it's forcing a Concentration check based on the "Distracted by nondamaging spell" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/concentration.htm) part of the Concentration skill. I suppose I could just take out the Concentration part entirely and make it so you're just controlling a bunch of vermin, which was actually my original intention ("Get out of my house" type stuff).

bloodtide
2012-01-06, 10:22 PM
I think rats are diminutive, but besides that, it's forcing a Concentration check based on the "Distracted by nondamaging spell" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/concentration.htm) part of the Concentration skill. I suppose I could just take out the Concentration part entirely and make it so you're just controlling a bunch of vermin, which was actually my original intention ("Get out of my house" type stuff).

A swift and then free action cantrip is fine.

The trick is the distraction part makes the spell way too powerful. You don't want a cantrip that can cause a spellcaster to loose a spell. Even more so at higher levels. If you want to keep this, you will need something like a DC cap or a HD cap so it can't effect everyone. And anyway, the average spellcaster can take like 10-20 damage at least and still cast a spell, so what effect would a rat tickling them really have.

It might be best just to leave this whole part out. Then a pest can just do whatever in the normal rules.

Steward
2012-01-06, 11:02 PM
I think rats are diminutive, but besides that, it's forcing a Concentration check based on the "Distracted by nondamaging spell" part of the Concentration skill. I suppose I could just take out the Concentration part entirely and make it so you're just controlling a bunch of vermin, which was actually my original intention ("Get out of my house" type stuff).

If it can ward away vermin, then it's almost as good as the fourth level Cleric spell repel vermin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/repelVermin.htm)! (the size limitation restricts it from being as good as that one) This isn't a criticism -- I actually like it as a cantrip spell since I feel as if clerics and arcane spellcasters should really have a quick and easy way to get rid of household pests (I'm assuming that it's targeted towards ordinary bug infestations, rather than, say, waging war against the neogi empire!)

Temotei
2012-01-07, 02:08 AM
A swift and then free action cantrip is fine.

The trick is the distraction part makes the spell way too powerful. You don't want a cantrip that can cause a spellcaster to loose a spell. Even more so at higher levels. If you want to keep this, you will need something like a DC cap or a HD cap so it can't effect everyone. And anyway, the average spellcaster can take like 10-20 damage at least and still cast a spell, so what effect would a rat tickling them really have.

It might be best just to leave this whole part out. Then a pest can just do whatever in the normal rules.

Took it out. I think I like it better this way. However, keep in mind that the DC was limited by your ability modifier, since the spell DC would have been 10 + ability score modifier, which usually won't be enough to stop spellcasting. Still, I don't like that feature, so it's gone.

If it can ward away vermin, then it's almost as good as the fourth level Cleric spell repel vermin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/repelVermin.htm)! (the size limitation restricts it from being as good as that one) This isn't a criticism -- I actually like it as a cantrip spell since I feel as if clerics and arcane spellcasters should really have a quick and easy way to get rid of household pests (I'm assuming that it's targeted towards ordinary bug infestations, rather than, say, waging war against the neogi empire!)

I've never, ever seen repel vermin. EVER. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN, SPELL?

Ahem. I think the limited scope of vermin this affects, in addition to the little you can do with those vermin once affected, limits the spell's power to be okay as a cantrip. Combining this with prestidigitation would clean everything within a minute. It'd be great. :smallbiggrin:

Steward
2012-01-07, 10:47 AM
I agree completely. It's one of those nice, householdy tricks that I feel that a wizard should be able to perform. The fact that it works on only two individual Fine vermin keeps it from being overpowered; you won't be able to disrupt massive swarms (of the kind intended to be an actual encounter) with a cantrip but you'll at least be able to evict the lice living in the party barbarian's hair.