PDA

View Full Version : Hey, I just noticed this!

Vahir
2012-01-06, 04:55 PM
Thread 274 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0274.html), panel 3. Blackwing found a planet inside the rift. Could they be the same? :eek:

martianmister
2012-01-06, 04:57 PM
Thread 274 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0274.html), panel 3. Blackwing found a planet inside the rift. Could they be the same? :eek:

Blackwing? Where?

Kish
2012-01-06, 04:58 PM
Yes, it's possible that the planet Blackwing saw inside the rift is the one the Snarl destroyed.

Vahir
2012-01-06, 05:11 PM
Blackwing? Where?

Sorry, I phrased that wrong. What I meant to say was this:

The snarl destroyed a planet, and blackwing, at a later time and place, saw a planet in the rift, where the snarl should have been.

LudiDrizzt
2012-01-06, 05:19 PM
Sorry, I phrased that wrong. What I meant to say was this:

The snarl destroyed a planet, and blackwing, at a later time and place, saw a planet in the rift, where the snarl should have been.

Wait, who's Blackwing?

Vahir
2012-01-06, 05:22 PM
Wait, who's Blackwing?

Strip 154 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0154.html), panel 7.

martianmister
2012-01-06, 05:22 PM
Wait, who's Blackwing?

Vaarsuvius' raven familiar. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0672.html)

Tebryn
2012-01-06, 05:23 PM
You both missed the joke. Also, I'm fairly certain that this isn't a big reveal. It's been long speculated to be this way.

Vahir
2012-01-06, 05:27 PM
You both missed the joke. Also, I'm fairly certain that this isn't a big reveal. It's been long speculated to be this way.

Pardon me, good sir, but nobody bothered to inform me. I still think it is interesting, however.

eusticepious
2012-01-06, 05:30 PM
Pardon me, good sir, but nobody bothered to inform me. I still think it is interesting, however.

Hear, hear! A very nice find, and thank you for posting.

Mutant Sheep
2012-01-06, 05:33 PM
I have seen this as one of the many snarl theories. I still prefer the 'modern earth is inside Rift' theory, because being inside a godkilling monstrosity means awesome. :smallbiggrin:

skaddix
2012-01-06, 05:39 PM
I have seen this as one of the many snarl theories. I still prefer the 'modern earth is inside Rift' theory, because being inside a godkilling monstrosity means awesome. :smallbiggrin:

No doubt a mirror verse of some time. ALthough I would think the snarl would be behind in development. Honestly I expect the mirror verse.

Kish
2012-01-06, 06:06 PM
The "modern Earth is inside Rift" theory has the "Refuted by the Author" flaw, which, fortunately or unfortunately, renders it utterly noncompetitive.

LudiDrizzt
2012-01-06, 06:43 PM
Strip 154 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0154.html), panel 7.

Vaarsuvius' raven familiar. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0672.html)

Nope. I don't see anything there. Vaarsuvius has a familiar?

Kish
2012-01-06, 06:59 PM
It's probably an illusion. But best not to argue with Vaarsuvius on the subject.

Goosefarble
2012-01-06, 09:00 PM
Nope. I don't see anything there. Vaarsuvius has a familiar?

Ugh, it's probably one of those times when someone takes a completely unimportant background character and says it's related to one of the order. God damn it, it's Haley's twin sister all over again.

Jaros
2012-01-06, 10:04 PM
You mean that illusion V used to tell Roy and Belkar what happened? That was just a magic mouth or something, they said as much.

Howler Dagger
2012-01-07, 12:46 AM
The "modern Earth is inside Rift" theory has the "Refuted by the Author" flaw, which, fortunately or unfortunately, renders it utterly noncompetitive.

Since when has that stopped people?

The destroyed world theory is probably the most likely.

Peelee
2012-01-07, 11:31 AM
You mean that illusion V used to tell Roy and Belkar what happened? That was just a magic mouth or something, they said as much.

Dude, it was an actual bird, it just had Magic Mouth or something cast on it.

Jaros
2012-01-07, 01:00 PM
Dude, it was an actual bird, it just had Magic Mouth or something cast on it.

Wait, so s/he cast it on a random bird? Man, what is it with V and bird lately =/

Peelee
2012-01-07, 01:54 PM
Wait, so s/he cast it on a random bird? Man, what is it with V and bird lately =/

Well, according to Roy, it's that bird that's been hanging around V these past two weeks. So not completely random, but not entirely meaningful, I don't think.

fergo
2012-01-07, 04:04 PM
I'm definitely not the first person to think this, but I'm sure there's more to these rifts than we (and the Order) have been told. I wonder what revelations Girrard will offer?

It being the old world would be really interesting, especially since it means its inhabitants must have lived for centuries (?) separated from the gods, and even their afterlife.

While it's almost certain what the world actually is will be revealed at some point in the series, who thinks the Order (or any other characters) will at some point visit this new world at some point?

(Yes, I know it's just a guessing game at this point, but it's fun to speculate :smallredface:).

Gorky
2012-01-07, 11:48 PM
Is it possible that the Snarl is coalescing into an ordered form, ie a planet?

SowZ
2012-01-08, 12:14 AM
Is it possible that the Snarl is coalescing into an ordered form, ie a planet?

Sure,yeah, and that is interesting. But that seems not only contrary to what it is but would make it odd that the Snarl continues to undo the OOTS world. Of course, the snarl does seem less active than it should be. Still, I doubt it. But I recognize it as a possibility. It is also possible something inside the planet of snarl is keeping the snarl from noticing/hurting the OOTS world.

dtilque
2012-01-08, 12:30 AM
That world inside is the 4e world. It didn't exist when the gates were made, but the gods have since built it. The Snarl is now trapped inside it.

SpaceBadger
2012-01-08, 03:04 PM
I'm trying to recall the last time we've actually seen the Snarl. Has it ever made an appearance outside the Crayon Scribble strips? I'm pretty sure we haven't seen any sign of it poking out of the Azure City rift. Is it possible that the whole over-arching plot of taking control or preventing the control of the rifts due to fear of the Snarl is based on something that doesn't even exist anymore?

veti
2012-01-08, 05:52 PM

It's not a Magic Mouth. Actually, she devoted some considerable effort (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0563.html) previously to researching this spell.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-09, 12:31 AM
Yes, it's possible that the planet Blackwing saw inside the rift is the one the Snarl destroyed.

Hasn't this theory been posted before?:smallconfused:

Cranica
2012-01-09, 05:18 AM
I'm trying to recall the last time we've actually seen the Snarl. Has it ever made an appearance outside the Crayon Scribble strips? I'm pretty sure we haven't seen any sign of it poking out of the Azure City rift. Is it possible that the whole over-arching plot of taking control or preventing the control of the rifts due to fear of the Snarl is based on something that doesn't even exist anymore?

No, we haven't seen the slightest whisper of the Snarl since the breaching of the Azure City rift. Redcloak says as much while he's interrogating O'Chul. Your theory is interesting, but from a narrative perspective unlikely; why build up this whole cosmology only for it to not be there?

SpaceBadger
2012-01-09, 04:51 PM
No, we haven't seen the slightest whisper of the Snarl since the breaching of the Azure City rift. Redcloak says as much while he's interrogating O'Chul. Your theory is interesting, but from a narrative perspective unlikely; why build up this whole cosmology only for it to not be there?

You have a good point, but I think something is going on with the Snarl that is not as we've been led to believe, or as the various characters seem to believe. Otherwise, wouldn't it have poked out some of its scribbly claws to impale somebody by now? It didn't seem at all shy about doing so in its previous appearances.

SowZ
2012-01-09, 06:57 PM
You have a good point, but I think something is going on with the Snarl that is not as we've been led to believe, or as the various characters seem to believe. Otherwise, wouldn't it have poked out some of its scribbly claws to impale somebody by now? It didn't seem at all shy about doing so in its previous appearances.

Or the crayon story was a blatant lie to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if both the story of the Snarl and Redcloaks story about the purpose of the monster races were both elaborate lies, each only half true, by some greater force to manipulate everyone. I'm not saying I believe this to be the case, but I won't discount it as a possiblity.

asphias
2012-01-09, 07:18 PM
it would be interesting if ALL the gates get destroyed, the order thinks they failed, but nothing happens:smallbiggrin:

Porthos
2012-01-09, 07:30 PM
I'm trying to recall the last time we've actually seen the Snarl.

We have never seen the Snarl.

Rich Burlew is on record as stating that things seen in the various Crayons of Time are a narrative being told by the people telling them (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8081896).

Thus events may or may not have happened in the way that have been told to us.

Now, personally, I do think that the Snarl exists. At least in some form. But that World-Within-The-Rift is a mighty big curveball that would seem to be at least slightly at odds with what the Order has been told about it.

ETA:

Something just struck me as I was relooking at that page (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0672.html).

It's Full of Stars.

That seems... odd, if it is just World 1.0 that was devoured by the Snarl. The complete set of stars implies an entire seperate Prime Material Plane. Or at least it could.

That has some interesting implications, actually. Maybe the Rift is turning into a portal into another dimension/universe? <Cue inevitable 4e/Pathfinder cries> Maybe it's something as simple as a throwback to the idea of Infinite Prime Material Planes.

Dunno, really. But the presence of the stars is something that might be worth thinking about.

Sith_Happens
2012-01-09, 08:38 PM
That world inside is the 4e world. It didn't exist when the gates were made, but the gods have since built it. The Snarl is now trapped inside it.

it would be interesting if ALL the gates get destroyed, the order thinks they failed, but nothing happens:smallbiggrin:

:mitd: What gates?

snikrept
2012-01-10, 02:56 AM
Snarl crayon story was told by a guy who admitted to being a master liar, about events he'd never seen and during which he wasn't even alive yet. It was told with the deliberate intention of getting the OOTS to work for him. There may have been.... embellishments !

Mando Knight
2012-01-10, 03:19 AM
It's Full of Stars.

...This is obligatory. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oALxLNOhI6I)

Boogastreehouse
2012-01-10, 04:29 AM

Is it possible that the whole over-arching plot of taking control or preventing the control of the rifts due to fear of the Snarl is based on something that doesn't even exist anymore?

...or never existed in the first place...

Everything the Order (and we the readers) has learned about the Snarl has been through other people's stories. While I doubt it's all a hoax or a big cover-up, I've learned to never put anything past the Giant.