PDA

View Full Version : Kingmaker: Greenbelt Region

Othniel Edden
2012-01-08, 06:33 PM
Each of you has been issued a charter from the Lord Mayor of Restov, Ioseph Sellemius reading;

Be it so known that the bearer of this charter has been charged by the Swordlords of Restov, acting upon the greater good and authority vested within them by the office of the Regent of the Dragonscale Throne, has been granted the right of exploration and travel within the wilderness region known as the Greenbelt. Exploration should be limited to an area no further than 36 miles east and west and sixty miles south of Oleg's Trading Post. The carrier of this charter should also strive against banditry and other unlawful behavior to be encountered. The Punishment for unrepentant banditry remains, as always, execution by sword or rope. So witnessed on this 24th day of Calistril, under the watchway eye of the Lordship of Restov and authority granted Lord Noleski Surtova, current Regent of the Dragonscale Throne.

Each of you has arrived Oleg's Trading post, an old converted border fort on the Southern edge of Rostland. Directly to the south you can see the treeline of the Narlmarches. Oleg's itself is surronded by wooden palisades 10 feet in height, and has watch towers 20 feet in height, each armed with run down catapults. There is one interest into the Trading post, a 30 foot wide wooden gate. As you enter the Trading post you see an open yard area, Stables on the left, a fenced storage pen directly in front of you, and two buildings to the right. There are also two tables around a fire pit between the two buildings.

Throughout this Pharast the First each of you arrive on your own. Early snowmelt has made the ground soft and muddy, and the grass is brown. The trees to the south are barren of leaves, but the promise of spring is in the air.

stack
2012-01-08, 06:43 PM
Roland casts back his white hood, red-blonde hair in a loose tangle, sniffing the air and smiling in the sunlight. He addresses no one in particular. "So we near our destination. The journey through nature has been refreshing, but a proper bed will be welcome. A bit different from Restov, wouldn't you say?" His cloak is white, though the bottom is travel-stained and he wears gray leather armor underneath, apparently newly purchased. So, this is where it starts. A good place, I judge, though I cannot see where this will lead. I will see it through, come what may.

His demeanor is painfully positive. The otherworldly mastiff at his side snorts as it walks, large golden eyes rolling and silver hair barely touched by the breeze..

Bhaakon
2012-01-08, 07:32 PM
Goran fiddles nervously with his short (by dwarven standards) grey beard as he trudges through the massive gate and into Oleg's compound. "Damnation, it will take take a month of Sundays to polish this muck out my armor. Whoever picked Spring as campaign season was daft," he rumbles to himself, pulling a handkerchief from his pack and setting to work removing the mud clods from his well-worn suit of lamellar.

"Eh?" He says, eying the red-haired man with the queer gold eyes, "You say something, greenhorn? Best leash that hound afore it scares off the locals."

dathom
2012-01-08, 07:50 PM
Riding up to the gates of Oleg's Trading Post, Rast slides out of the saddle, lightly landing with a soft squelch as his booted feet hit the ground. Still holding the reins, he guides the horse in, seeming to take in every feature of the man and dwarf before gazing in slight awe at the odd mastiff. Seeming to remember himself, he snaps to, stopping just inside the gate before looking back to Goran and Roland. "The name's Rast. Pleasure ta meet ya."

From the leather bracer that adorns his arm, as well as the bow and quiver of arrows that are strapped to his saddle, it is obvious that the man is some sort of archer. His studded leather armor seems dusty, but well maintained and around his shoulders in a thick, brown cloak that is meant to keep Brevoy's chill winds at bay.

Bringing his horse further in and out of the way of the entrance, Rast continues with, "Are you all here for the charter too?"

Leviathan
2012-01-08, 08:22 PM
As Oleg's Post comes into sight, Zinovia suppresses a relieved sigh. Though the cool air still has winter's bite to it, her exertions have left her hot and uncomfortable. She steadies herself on her staff, taking a long breath of air. She feels her forehead. She is feverish, but then, that is hardly unusual. Though her sickly body protests, she pushes on through the gates of the palisade, her dark, cold eyes scanning for any respite.

The wizardess decides on the tables, ambling over to them, her head spinning. Damn that caravaner and his cowardice, she snarls inwardly; I cannot appear weak. She forces her thin body upright as she takes a seat.

Zinovia draws her waterskin to her lips with trembling hands, but quickly stows it away as her gaze lights upon three figures. The first two, a dwarf scraping mud from his armour and, she surmised, a figure with no small quantity of otherworldly blood in his veins, were conversing. Then a third, a hunter by the looks of him, boldly introduced himself.

Zinovia's thin eyesbrows ascend her forehead disdainfully as he speaks, though this action is concealed by the crimson hood that covers her face right down to her eyes. Before the others can answer, she retorts, her voice sharp and breathless, snapping. "And for what other reason would one be here, 'Rast?'"

Bhaakon
2012-01-08, 08:34 PM
"Why the fine site seein' in His High and Mighty Majesty, King Goran Hammerfist's domain, lass. Tourists are welcome, of course, but there's a small matter of the five gold fee to process yer entry papers," chirps the dwarf sarcastically, still working the mud out of his armor.

WarBrute
2012-01-08, 08:41 PM
"Trading, one could assume." A human man says as he steps across the threshold of the gate. "It is, after all, a trading post." The man stands shy of six feet and wears chain armor held together by patches of tough boiled leather, over a grey linen shirt. His pants are dark and are splattered with mud from travel. He wears a deeply green dyed wool cap over his dark auburn hair. He has a small thin goatee that is a shade darker than the rest of his hair and his nose is crooked to the left, a memento from a rough childhood. His eyes are a simple brown.

"But, as luck has it, I am here for the charter as well." He puts on a smile that seems slightly strained "My name is Glynn, of New Stetven."

Othniel Edden
2012-01-08, 08:57 PM
The five new figures at the gate are swifty approached by an energetic, and bright young woman in either her late 20s or early thirties. She is all smiles at the sight of you.

"Ah, you must be whom the letter was talking about." She swiftly looks over the Adventures noticing that are mostly well equiped for a fight. " Come, eat, you must be famished from your journey, " a slight glance towards Zinovia as she says that, " I have stew and freshly baked bread. Please come eat with me and my husband."

Bhaakon
2012-01-08, 09:03 PM
"Yes, sustenance is most appreciated after a hard day on the road, my dear...?" says Goran, his armor momentarily forgotten at the promise of a hot meal.

WarBrute
2012-01-08, 09:12 PM
"I don't think anything could please me more than four walls, a roof and a hot meal" Glynn says, glancing around at the towering trees.

dathom
2012-01-08, 09:27 PM
With the woman's approach, Rast seemed ready to ask something, but then decides against it after the offer of a hot meal. Instead, he asks, "If you don't mind ma'am. Is it ok if I get Maribel inta the stables? I can't really be the one famished since it was her carrying most of the load during our trip here. After I get her patted down and fed, I'd be happy ta join y'all for a bite."

Shade Kerrin
2012-01-08, 10:07 PM
Naiko can be heard running towards the gate for a good half-minute before she reaches it, her footsteps intermixed with the jingling from the weapon at her side. Another minute passes before she catches her breath enough to speak. When she does, her voice has an odd tone to it, as if she is a little surprised to be able to form the words coming from her mouth.
"I'm not late, am I? I was a little delayed on my way here..."

stack
2012-01-09, 08:01 AM
He takes in the sights and smells of the post as they approach. So...here it begins. Silverfang trots off to inspect the area around the post, nose to the ground, searching for an scent that is out of place. He had barely managed to hold his tongue from a sharp retort about leashes, but decided that the later revelation may prove more satisfying.

When addressed by the woman, he bows formally. "Thank you kindly for your hospitality. It has indeed been a long journey." He smiles. "And hot stew sounds wonderful. I suspect that is what I smell now?"

Leviathan
2012-01-09, 11:00 AM
Zinovia nods curtly to the woman. "Very well, madam. If I might use your kitchen, there is a tea that I would make for myself." She coughs twice, doubling over, bringing her hand to her mouth. "It helps with the cough," she explains reticently.

Othniel Edden
2012-01-09, 05:27 PM
"Please don't call me ma'am. My name is Svetlana. That, " She says pointing to a figure on the roof of the larger of the two buildings, " is Oleg, my husband."

She turns to Roland, "2 sp per night for that service hun, inclding water and feed, and a complimentary rub down." She hurriedly sets the adventurers up with food and wine, and then brings Zinovia into the Kitchen to make her tea.

Bhaakon
2012-01-09, 06:05 PM
"Quite a place here, for just the two of you," says Goran as his hostess brings the food, "is it really that dangerous out here?"

dathom
2012-01-09, 06:44 PM
Handing over the two silver pieces, Rast says, "Thanks! No need to be woorying about the rub down now. I'll just guide her inta the barn and get the saddle off her." With that, he guide Maribel into the barn and finds a place where he can put the horse saddle. Once Maribel has been unsaddled and some hay and water provided, he will return and, taking a seat on the bench with the food. He waits for Svetlana to return, pretty much keeping to himself. Once their hostess comes back though, Rast says, "The name's Rast. I hail from Rendin, its a small village that lies between here and Restov. This is a mighty fine trading post you two got here. I gotta agree with the dwarf though. This is a pretty big place for just two of ya ta handle. You two get much business out here?"

stack
2012-01-09, 07:05 PM
As they settle in, Roland introduces himself to the company. "My name is Roland Nephilian, late of Restov, though I call Andoran home. My companion, who should rejoin us shortly, is Silverfang. As you no doubt could see, he is no dog. He is my friend and companion, called from the upper planes to my aid."

WarBrute
2012-01-09, 08:57 PM
Glynn looks genuinely happy now with a meal in his belly and wine at hand. He sips modestly at the wine and says, "Fascinating! You say called from the upper planes? My tutor never did teach me anything about summoning magic, so it is quite foreign to me." He smiles, "My name is Glynn Brenberg, if you didn't catch it before and I hail from New Stetven"

Leviathan
2012-01-09, 10:28 PM
Zinovia's tea is warm to her lips, almost scalding, in fact, and bitter to the taste. But it warms and soothes her, though her body is still wracked by occasional shivers as a gust of spring air blows into the house.

Her lips purse as she eyes Roland. "I gather, Master Nephilian, that you yourself are not wholly of this plane." She thinks to herself. And I wonder why anyone would want so horrid a creature as a dog for a companion, given the choice.

stack
2012-01-09, 10:57 PM
Roland smiles, glad of some friendly conversation. Silverfang can be so dour, I've missed talking to more upbeat people. "A pleasure, Glynn. As for summoning, I am happy to discuss what I know, but I'm afraid my academic studies of the topic are wanting. As it has been deduced, my family line carries a trace of the celestial running back many generations. It seems to give me an affinity more calling aid from other realms. I take it then that you are a student of the arcane?"

WarBrute
2012-01-10, 12:52 AM
Glynn gives a half nod, "Well my formal lessons ended a few years ago, but I still tend to pick things up as I go."

Othniel Edden
2012-01-10, 01:50 AM
Svetlana, "It definitely is a large place. It used to be a border fort for the reason. It can be quite dangerous though, this is the wilds. We aren't too sucessful, though we live comfortablely. Oleg likes the quiet."

Oleg comes down from the roof, sweaty and shirtless. Before you the middle age man of average build, and blonde hair greets you with a curt nod. "Stew?" She nods and he sits down to eat.

"As I'm sure they told you in Restov, our problem is mostly human right now. We weren't sure you'd arrive on time to do anything about it."

dathom
2012-01-10, 02:13 AM
Hmm, it makes a little more sense. Just the two of them on the edge of what is considered untamed lands infested with bandits, Rast thinks to himself while he finishes chewing a mouthful of stew. "So ya got bandit troubles, then?" the young ranger asks, though his tone of voice makes it sound more like a statement than a question.

Bhaakon
2012-01-10, 02:58 AM
Goran sops up the last of his stew with a crust of bread, then lets loose a mighty belch--the traditional compliment for a well-cooked meal. "Well now, can't be having bandits terrorizing the citizenry," he says, not enough meat on the bone in this place as it is.

"Do you know where they're holed up?"

stack
2012-01-10, 08:33 AM
Wincing at the dwarf's manners, Roland holds his tongue before turning to important matters. "Yes, anything you can tell us may be of use. Do you have a map of the area, even a rough sketch, that we can mark general areas on? How often do they bother you?"

Silverfang trots in, fixing Roland momentarily with his gaze, before giving his head a small shake. Nothing use then. Had hoped they would have left a trail, but it must have been awhile.

Leviathan
2012-01-10, 08:41 AM
"And why should we not have arrived on time to deal with this matter?" Zinovia cuts in. "Our charter did not express urgency to our task, so I am naturally surprised to hear that, had we not yet arrived, there would be no time."

WarBrute
2012-01-10, 12:58 PM
Glynn puts down his wine and sits quietly, not ready to ask any questions himself.

Shade Kerrin
2012-01-10, 02:57 PM
Naiko eats quietly, trying her best to follow the conversation. Thanks to a divine blessing she can understand the words everyone is using, but that doesn't give her an understanding of concepts that are foreign, or just outside her field of education

Othniel Edden
2012-01-13, 01:10 AM
Svetlana and Oleg look at the adventurers like they've just been told the Whispering Tyrant had awakened. "I guess they didn't tell you... maybe you'll help anyways.

Oleg says as he throws his arms into the air, obviously frustrated , "Curse those Bureaucratic Yellow bellied! We've been asking guards for months and they don't even bother telling the adventurers about our problem! Unbelievable!" The older gentleman, obviously upset gets up from the table and starts looking for stuff to keep himself busy.

Svetlana looks down towards to ground humbly and then meets each of the adventures eyes. "We don't have much, but we can offer you free room and board for the night. Bandits have been stealing raiding from us for the past three months, and they come again tomorrow. Please help us. Please?"

Svetlana's face looks as she's about in tears moving Oleg to comfort her. He looked rather pained at the potential loss of coin, but didn't bring it up.

Othniel Edden
2012-01-13, 01:12 AM
Svetlana and Oleg look at the adventurers like they've just been told the Whispering Tyrant had awakened. "I guess they didn't tell you... maybe you'll help anyways.

Oleg says as he throws his arms into the air, obviously frustrated , "Curse those Bureaucratic Yellow bellied! We've been asking guards for months and they don't even bother telling the adventurers about our problem! Unbelievable!" The older gentleman, obviously upset gets up from the table and starts looking for stuff to keep himself busy.

Svetlana looks down towards to ground humbly and then meets each of the adventures eyes. "We don't have much, but we can offer you free room and board for the night. Bandits have been stealing raiding from us for the past three months, and they come again tomorrow. Please help us. Please?"

Svetlana's face looks as she's about in tears moving Oleg to comfort her. He looked rather pained at the potential loss of coin, but didn't bring it up.

Bhaakon
2012-01-13, 03:01 AM
"Aye, girl, aye, I'll stay," says the dwarf in as close to grandfatherly tone as he can must, "but tell us more of them, how many come, are they always the same ones, are they mounted or afoot, and other such things."

stack
2012-01-13, 09:09 AM
Roland listens to the woman's plea intently. "It sounds like we have arrived just in time. I cannot speak for the others, but I shall certainly stand against these brigands, even if we did not have a charter giving us the responsibility to do so. As for payment, give it no mind, it is our duty." He smiles reassuringly at the couple, before looking to his companions, hoping that they will not object.

Even if they do not wish to help, we have a charter, we are the lawful representatives of civilization, sent to bring peace and justice. Any who would leave these people to their fate has no place in what we will build.

"Of course, anything you could tell us would be helpful." His canine companion frowns as he hears the news, nodding solemnly in agreement with those resolved to lend aid.

WarBrute
2012-01-13, 12:17 PM
"Hardly, Roland, I do think this falls under our duty and our responsibility given by the charter." He says, "If this trading post is to be our northern boarder, than we should all stand and protect it. It will be our first action to bring order to this region"

stack
2012-01-13, 12:50 PM
"I fully agree. I said the even if it did not, which it unquestionably does, I would lend my hand. Peace and order must be established and evil must be punished, how else can society stand?"

Leviathan
2012-01-13, 04:19 PM
Zinovia raises an eyebrow. "The Charter states that we deal with banditry. If the banditry wishes to present itself to us, that merely simplifies the matter. My magic shall, I believe, prove sufficient to deal with them when they arrive."

dathom
2012-01-13, 08:46 PM
He had been afraid that the others might not have taken his side in defending the outpost from bandits, so rast mentally breathed a sigh of relief to find out that the others that are with him on the charter seems to be as devoted to duty as he was. With that the ranger says, "Aye. Taking a man's hard work without due compensation, that don't sit right with me. It doesn't matter that those high brows didn't tell us the truth of it. We're here now and we'll help ya two ta show these bandits tha error of their ways."

Othniel Edden
2012-01-16, 05:50 PM
Svetlana looks at the party, gratitude masking the trails, " They first showed up around 3 months ago. Threatened to burn us down and.. well threatened to bring me back with them" she looks uncomfortable thinking about it, and you can see Oleg get a little hot under the collar," and well, yeah.. Anyways they took the furs and other goods we had acquired from trappers and hunters over the past month or so. Since then they've come around about twice a month, around sunrise, at the beginning and middle of the month. They seem to want it done quick, so I think they are only about a days ride away.

First time they cam there were about 12 lower ranking bandits lead by a Man in a cloak and woman with two hachettes. She nearly took off Oleg's right hand she did, and she spoke of my fate with a cruel little smile. Then she took my wedding ring.

On the second visit they came with 7 and this last only with 5. They only were lead by the man in the hood. Seems like they are bringing less and less and I really hope the woman with the axes isn't with them."

Okay guys, bandits are coming the next day. Whats your plan?

dathom
2012-01-16, 08:32 PM
Remaining quiet while he listened two the two tell them about the bandits, Rast starts formulating a plan. Once they were done talking, the ranger says,"Well, with the numbers reducing, it sounds like they aren't expecting much trouble from this place. I say we give them a little surprise on their next visit. What say you all to a little ambush. This place has plenty of cover and it shouldn't be too hard to lure them all in here where we can cut off their escape."

stack
2012-01-16, 10:13 PM
Roland nods. "Take them inside the outpost. We cannot let any escape to carry word. I can block the gate once they enter, my celestial friends should be sufficient. With surprise on our side we ought have the advantage. Of course it would be best to have prisoners to question. Perhaps striking the leader would encourage cooperation?"

Bhaakon
2012-01-16, 11:25 PM
"Aye, most bandits are all bluster and no backbone. Strike down the leader and the underlings will sing like a drunken halfling," says the dwarf with an air of experience. "They're cautious as well. We'd best be prepared to move on their camp once we've got its location; they'll pull stakes and flee if they get a whiff of trouble."

Shade Kerrin
2012-01-16, 11:29 PM
"Well that sounds like it would work, as long as they don't leave anybody hidingg around outside...

If they do though, there won't be anything we can do to stop it anyway,, so let's go with it."

Leviathan
2012-01-17, 12:04 AM
Zinovia stands shakily, leaning on her staff and peering out into the Post's courtyard. "Very well. I shall endeavour to leave some of the bandits alive. If possible." Her voice, though strained and raspy, carries an air of skepticism to it.

"All I ask of you," she continues, her cold eyes scanning the assembly, "is that if it is not possible, do not come between my magic and its targets."

Bhaakon
2012-01-17, 01:41 AM
Goran raises and eyebrow at the odd girl after her threatening comment, but says nothing. We'll see who's left standing if you can't hold your magics, waif.

dathom
2012-01-17, 01:43 AM
His comrade making a good point, Rast asks Oleg,"If we close the gates, is there somewhere I can stand to get a good view of the courtyard as well as the outside of the trading post? If there is, then I can spot any stragglers that make a run for it long before they can get out of range of my bow."

WarBrute
2012-01-17, 03:06 AM
"...leave them alive as long as "needed," is more like it" Glynn says after Zinovia's remark. His eyes had narrowed at when the woman spoke of her threatened kidnapping. "I doubt they have done little to gain any mercy"

"An ambush should be simple. People that live off the work of others are often soft and complacent. Once they have entered we can surround them, and those trained in close quarter combat like myself can move in and have them flanked"

stack
2012-01-17, 08:00 AM
Roland looks somewhat put-out by the others eagerness to kill, though he fights to repress the same sentiments welling up inside of himself. Cursed bandits, taking and murdering, tearing down to no end but their own stomachs. But they are still men. We must rise above what they are, live by goodness and law, not revenge.

Silverfang watches his face with a knowing eye, familiar with his friend's conflicts regarding his history with outlaws. When he sees it settled, he speaks softly. "You will be better off if I am not there. You will need the full benefit of you power, you cannot spend it on keeping me here, not during the battle."

Roland's face falls, but he nods, reaching out to scratch his old friend behind a pointed ear.