PDA

View Full Version : Storing Poison in my Eyes [3.5 Prestige Class]

Temotei
2012-01-08, 11:56 PM
Toxicant

I can shoot poison out of my eyes.
- Dan McNinja (http://drmcninja.com/newreaders.php)

The snake, though small, is a fearsome foe. Lunging from hiding with venomous fangs, the little snake strikes its foe, incapacitates it, and revels in the glory of its victory. Why? Because it's a snake. It can do what it pleases. Or, at least, this one can. The toxicant is a snake whose lunge-and-finish combat style quickly ruins single opponents or even multiple opponents at the same time. Eventually, he creates his own venom similar to a snake's and sprays it out in a way that would make a McNinja proud.

Hit Die: d8.

Requirements
To qualify to become a toxicant, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.
Skills: Hide 7 ranks, Jump 5 ranks.
Feats: Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative.
Special: Evasion, sneak attack +1d6.

Class Skills: The toxicant's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier

TOXICANT

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st
+0
+2
+2
+0
Lunge, sneak attack +1d6

2nd
+1
+3
+3
+0
Venom

3rd
+2
+3
+3
+1
Sneak attack +2d6

4th
+3
+4
+4
+1
Great lunge

5th
+3
+4
+4
+1
Contagion strike, fast application, piercing poison, sneak attack +3d6

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the toxicant.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Toxicants gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Lunge (Ex): Leaping at a target, the toxicant strikes at his victim swiftly and dangerously. When the toxicant charges at an enemy, he may leap at the target, dealing an additional 1d6 damage.

The toxicant may lunge from hiding as well, moving up to half their move speed instantly and performing a sneak attack that deals an additional 1d6 damage, just like a normal lunge.

Sneak Attack: The toxicant's sneak attacking ability progresses. The extra damage increases by +1d6 at 1st level and every second level after (3rd, 5th). If a toxicant gets a sneak attack bonus from another source the bonuses on damage stack.

Venom (Ex): At 2nd level, the toxicant's namesake comes into play, as poison drips from his body in tiny amounts. As a move action which provokes attacks of opportunity, the toxicant may coat his weapon with this poison, which causes severe muscle discomfort and sometimes spasms. The venom only has an initial effect; it has no secondary effect. Upon failing a DC 15 + class levels + Int modifier Fortitude save, the victim of the venom suffers 1d6 Strength and Dexterity damage. The toxicant is immune to this venom himself, so coating his weapons or fists has no adverse effects. Alternatively, the toxicant can spray poison out of any orifice he deems right for it, including his eyes. This requires a standard action instead of a move action, but otherwise, the venom has the same effect. The toxicant may use this poison a number of times per day equal to 3 + Constitution modifier before it becomes unusable until he rests for at least eight hours.

The toxicant's venom improves every level, raising the Strength and Dexterity damage by 1d6.

At 5th level, venom becomes usable at will.

Great Lunge (Ex): At 4th level, the toxicant's ability to lunge at targets and deal extra damage expands. The toxicant may now lunge at any target within half their move speed and make a full attack afterward, dealing an additional 1d6 damage on every attack.

In addition, the toxicant may lunge up to their full move speed from hiding and make a full attack after, all attacks applying sneak attack damage and lunge damage.

Contagion Strike (Ex): At 5th level, when making a sneak attack, a toxicant can sacrifice 1d6 sneak attack damage in order to raise the DC of his venom by 1. Sneak attack damage may be reduced to a minimum of 1d6. For every 1d6 damage the toxicant forgoes, his venom's DC goes up by 1.

If the toxicant lunges and attacks with a venom-coated weapon, any enemies within five feet of the target take half sneak attack damage and half Strength and Dexterity damage.

Fast Application (Ex): The toxicant can coat weapons with his venom as a swift action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity.

Piercing Poison (Ex): The toxicant's venom now bypasses poison immunity and resistance.

Temotei
2012-01-08, 11:57 PM
Forgive me, for I have sinned. I'll post the fluff and picture soon...

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-09, 12:11 AM
This looks like a fun class! Just a few quick suggestions:

Saves: If Great Fortitude is a prerequisite for the class, you should really offer a good Fortitude save.

Prerequisites: As written, someone can enter this class at 5th level, which is pretty rare. (Entry point for most prestige classes, barring a few exceptions, is 6th level or higher). Was this intentional? If not, I suggest raising the Hide ranks up to 8.

Venom: This should definitely become at-will at level 5. Seriously. With the amount of ability damage-dealing spells in existence, there's no reason that you should feel limited to times/day. Especially since poison immunity is actually more common than you'd think. (Demons, devils, undead, constructs, elementals, oozes, druids, monks, plants, angels and archons get a +4 bonus to their saves against it, and swarms are immune to weapon damage so they would be immune to this particular poison as well)

Contagion Strike: Please clarify if the trade-off between DC and Sneak Attack dice can be stacked, or if you can only reduce it by 1d6 to get +1. Also, the immunity to poison should really be its own ability, as it has nothing to do with the Contagion Strike.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-01-09, 12:39 AM
I agree with NeoSeraphi that Venom should become usable at at will at level 5. I also would suggest making the daily usage based on Constitution; maybe 3+Con modifier. 1+Int is a little low, although the sneak attack progression and Lunge still make the class worth taking.

I'm not quite sure how Lunge fits the poison flavor, but it is a quite useful ability.

Also, while I love you for the thread title (you are referencing Dr. McNinja (http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/11p11/), right?), I'm a bit disappointed that the class can't actually shoot poison from its eyes. Like a toad :smallamused:.

Noctis Vigil
2012-01-09, 12:42 AM
1.) I like the class. Good flavor, and it finally gives rogues a way to overcome that pesky poison immunity, as well as giving out free poison. Well done. I do agree with NeoSeraphi that this guy needs more uses of the poison a day, though. At will might be a bit strong, but character level + Int mod times per day certainly isn't.

2.) I was vaguely disappointed that there was no ability that actually lets you store poison in your eyes. :smalltongue:

Morph Bark
2012-01-09, 01:51 AM
You seem to have forgotten something. It's dangerous in the Homebrew forum, take this (http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/11p11/).

Lovin' it so far.

Temotei
2012-01-09, 04:33 AM
Saves: If Great Fortitude is a prerequisite for the class, you should really offer a good Fortitude save.

Good idea.

Prerequisites: As written, someone can enter this class at 5th level, which is pretty rare. (Entry point for most prestige classes, barring a few exceptions, is 6th level or higher). Was this intentional? If not, I suggest raising the Hide ranks up to 8.

It was intentional. I'm a rebel.

Venom: This should definitely become at-will at level 5. Seriously. With the amount of ability damage-dealing spells in existence, there's no reason that you should feel limited to times/day. Especially since poison immunity is actually more common than you'd think. (Demons, devils, undead, constructs, elementals, oozes, druids, monks, plants, angels and archons get a +4 bonus to their saves against it, and swarms are immune to weapon damage so they would be immune to this particular poison as well)

I like that idea, though you'll notice that poison immunity really doesn't matter after you hit level 5. I know you did notice, too, since you mentioned to separate it below.

Contagion Strike: Please clarify if the trade-off between DC and Sneak Attack dice can be stacked, or if you can only reduce it by 1d6 to get +1. Also, the immunity to poison should really be its own ability, as it has nothing to do with the Contagion Strike.

I was going to change the wording, but I told my friend to wait a few seconds before starting the League of Legends game and he didn't listen and blah blah. Yeah, you're right. I'll separate the poison immunity bypass and clarify the wording.

I agree with NeoSeraphi that Venom should become usable at at will at level 5. I also would suggest making the daily usage based on Constitution; maybe 3+Con modifier. 1+Int is a little low, although the sneak attack progression and Lunge still make the class worth taking.

That would make sense. The 3 + Con would probably lower the uses you get out of it in the long run, but it should be about the same before 5th level, which is when it'll become at-will. I like that.

I'm not quite sure how Lunge fits the poison flavor, but it is a quite useful ability.

Ever had a snake attempt to bite you? It's not quite the same as lunge, but that's what I based it on.

Also, while I love you for the thread title (you are referencing Dr. McNinja (http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/11p11/), right?), I'm a bit disappointed that the class can't actually shoot poison from its eyes. Like a toad :smallamused:.

Yep. It's a reference. I should allow shooting poison as an alternative. That would be AWESOME.

2.) I was vaguely disappointed that there was no ability that actually lets you store poison in your eyes. :smalltongue:

Technically, it says the poison comes from your body. If I were to make a character involving this class, it would definitely involve the poison dripping out of my eyes.

You seem to have forgotten something. It's dangerous in the Homebrew forum, take this (http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/11p11/).

Lovin' it so far.

Right on. :smallcool:

EDIT: The first post is edited with an increased Fortitude save, at-will poison at 5th level, a new ability separating poison immunity bypass, clarification on contagion strike, and a new part of venom allowing the spraying of poison from eyes.

Also, a picture and some fun fluff. This is probably the least serious fluff I've written.

Hanuman
2012-01-09, 06:07 AM
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Magellan

DracoDei
2012-01-13, 10:35 AM
Wikipedia-like cross indexing*:
Poisonist PrC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=164533): loosely based on Flagg from "In the Eyes of the Dragon".

THIS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=89314) thread contains two PrCs plus some feats that both PrCs use. The first PrC is for rogues, and the one at the bottom of the page (by myself) for melee fighters.

Custom Poison Creation (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158131): Want an inhaled poison with no initial effects, and 4d6 charisma burn secondary? You can probably do it with these rules.

Enhance Poison (spell) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=151376) (This allows poisons to become actually effective for assassination of high-level VIPs, which is actually a staple plot event of many fantasies).

Unusual Poisons (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7805080#post7805080): Poisons that cause everything from fear to excessive ear-wax (which affects listen checks).

*I do TRY to do this whenever I remember a relevant homebrew that interests me (no, I am not going to try to cross-link all the monk fixes). Most of the time this means linking my own work (since I can easily find the links to that). In this case it is about a 50/50 split of my own work and that of others. I am mostly doing this for posterity and certainly do not intend to distract from conversation regarding the PrC in the original post of this thread.

Yitzi
2012-01-13, 11:28 AM
Venom DCs are usually CON-based, not INT-based.