PDA

View Full Version : Paladin from Origins (some Spoilers)

Dr.Epic
2012-01-09, 06:43 PM
What do you think happened to that one paladin from On the Origins of PCs? I don't mean Sir Francis or whoever it was Elan adventured with. I mean that one paladin that was in Roy's first adventuring group. Kind of a random thought, but does anyone else think he fell? I know he'll probably never show up in the comic again, but given how he didn't really care about people and only placed concern on trivia things like alignment and class features, who links he lost his paladin abilities? He was kind of a Miko Jr.

The Pilgrim
2012-01-10, 08:31 AM
He was not like Miko. Miko was a fanatic who basically hide behind the Lawful side of the job while not really understanding the Good one. The leader of Roy's first adventuring party just played token respect to both the Lawful and the Good side of his alignment, without really believing in neither. He only acted LG in order to maintain his class abilities, but had no convictions.

Miko was a spoof of the stick-in-the-arse paladin archetype some roleplayers fall in when playing a Paladin. While the other guy was a spoofing of powerplayers and munchkins. The first group are bad roleplayers because they don't understand the true deep of their character class. The second group don't even try to roleplay, they are only interested in the "powers" of the class they chose, and couldn't care less about any roleplaying aspect of it. The first group wants to play a Paladin but fails to do it and ends ups playing a parody. The second group doesn't want to play a Paladin, they just want to give special powers to their characters.

And about your question, I suppose he would fall, sooner or later. With no real convictions, it's a matter of time until he is faced against a dilemma that forces him to discard his paladinhood in favor of his hide.

However, he seems also to be rational enough to keep atoning himself after that. For a powerplayer, to run a small errand and recover the lost powers is a much better option than permanently losing them. At least until a demon offers you blackguardhood.

Dark Matter
2012-01-10, 08:53 AM
Agreed.

He was also making serious tactical and knowledge errors which made his fall even more likely. There's a world of difference between the monster manually listing something as "evil" and "Often evil". That's a big step lower even than goblins.

Openly plotting the demise of a LG teammate because of racism is probably an evil act, it certainly is if you go through with it. Paladin isn't a good choice for someone who wants to play an evil character.

As for what happened to him... Belkar's Player rolled up a new character which didn't have alignment problems.

Ancalagon
2012-01-10, 09:54 AM
"Lawful Good" and "being a Paladin" does not have to mean "he has to be stupid".

And given what damage Elan caused to him, simply leaving is the "good" option.

If you think that action was "fall worthy" for a paladin I know of nothing else I could add to make you rethink your position on paladins and what being one means.

Peelee
2012-01-10, 11:51 AM
"Lawful Good" and "being a Paladin" does not have to mean "he has to be stupid".

And given what damage Elan caused to him, simply leaving is the "good" option.

If you think that action was "fall worthy" for a paladin I know of nothing else I could add to make you rethink your position on paladins and what being one means.

Weeeeellllllll.....

What do you think happened to that one paladin from On the Origins of PCs? I don't mean Sir Francis or whoever it was Elan adventured with. I mean that one paladin that was in Roy's first adventuring group. Kind of a random thought, but does anyone else think he fell? I know he'll probably never show up in the comic again, but given how he didn't really care about people and only placed concern on trivia things like alignment and class features, who links he lost his paladin abilities? He was kind of a Miko Jr.

Roy's Paladin was a pretty massive jerk. Who probably lost his Pally abilities from being a pretty massive jerk.

Ancalagon
2012-01-10, 01:11 PM
Ah, yes. To that, I fully agree. :)

I was surprised to see he even (still) was a paladin when he showed up in the comic. I always assumed he was there as joke of some sort, as standin of a very, very badly played paladin (with a DM that also does not get it's a very, very badly played paladin).

Bastian Weaver
2012-01-10, 08:27 PM
I wonder what happened to Sir Francois. Does he miss his trusty sidekick sometimes? Has he become a legend among fellow paladins because of his indestructible calmness and his manner of saying "you know, it could've been much, much worse"? Will he ever meet Roy? Will this meeting be accompanied by words like "I know what you feel, my friend. And no, I'm not taking Elan back. No, not even if you pay me that much. Yes, I know that my duty as a paladin demands that I save a fellow Lawful Good character from fate worse than death, but this is simply impossible. Yes, I know, you had to try. No hard feelings"?

Dr.Epic
2012-01-11, 08:19 PM
Weeeeellllllll.....

Roy's Paladin was a pretty massive jerk. Who probably lost his Pally abilities from being a pretty massive jerk.

Thank you for clearing that up for me Peelee.

As for Sir Francis, I don't think he fell. Don't we even see him via Scrying at some point in the comic in full paladin garb?

Peelee
2012-01-12, 02:36 PM
Thank you for clearing that up for me Peelee.

As for Sir Francis, I don't think he fell. Don't we even see him via Scrying at some point in the comic in full paladin garb?

Well, you wrote it, I just boldfaced it and added my own commentary:smallcool:. Though yeah, I agree with you and Ancalagon on Sir Francis. Leaving Elan let him Pally around to the best of his abilities much, much better, and to actually be effective. I wouldn't mind a little bonus story on him if there's another SSDT-type book (assuming he's not in that.... I've only just gotten through the Julio Scoundrčl segement and a little into the Dragon Mag comics). Since he and Roy's jerkface of a Paladin were the only two non-Sapphire Guard Pallys we've seen so far, that I know of

ORione
2012-01-12, 03:44 PM
Since he and Roy's jerkface of a Paladin were the only two non-Sapphire Guard Pallys we've seen so far, that I know of

If you count these guys (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0415.html), there's the dwarf paladin. From Dr. Epic's last comment, I presume the guy in the red is Sir Francis?

Peelee
2012-01-12, 03:58 PM
If you count these guys (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0415.html), there's the dwarf paladin. From Dr. Epic's last comment, I presume the guy in the red is Sir Francis?

HA! OK, screw Sir Francis, I want to see more of that dwarf paladin now. How is that NOT comedy gold?

And yeah, I'm pretty sure that looks just like Sir Francois (didn't realize I kept to that typo! Oops), but colorized. Clearly, the red denotes that he is a member of the Ruby Sentinel

Gift Jeraff
2012-01-12, 04:05 PM
He's also next to Thanh on the Good Guys poster (http://www.giantitp.com/Images/PostersTogetherBig.jpg).

And there's the dead (or rezzed?) Kotor (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0739.html), a paladin of Marduk whom Malack added on Macebook.

Holy_Knight
2012-01-12, 04:26 PM
I wonder what happened to Sir Francois. Does he miss his trusty sidekick sometimes? Has he become a legend among fellow paladins because of his indestructible calmness and his manner of saying "you know, it could've been much, much worse"? Will he ever meet Roy? Will this meeting be accompanied by words like "I know what you feel, my friend. And no, I'm not taking Elan back. No, not even if you pay me that much. Yes, I know that my duty as a paladin demands that I save a fellow Lawful Good character from fate worse than death, but this is simply impossible. Yes, I know, you had to try. No hard feelings"?
I'd rather see him acknowledge how well Elan has done since then. It would also be a step backwards for Roy character-wise to try to get rid of Elan at this point.

And as far as the original topic, the only reason the paladin from Roy's party wouldn't have fallen is if he died first. Hell, I'd say he should have fallen for what he intended to do to Durkon, even though he didn't succeed.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-16, 07:07 AM
couldn't care less

The rest of your post was fine too, but I would just like to compliment you on using this correctly.

As for what happened to him... Belkar's Player rolled up a new character which didn't have alignment problems.

Belkar doesn't have a player...no one does, except the gnome illusionist.

t209
2012-01-16, 11:39 AM
HA! OK, screw Sir Francis, I want to see more of that dwarf paladin now. How is that NOT comedy gold?

And yeah, I'm pretty sure that looks just like Sir Francois (didn't realize I kept to that typo! Oops), but colorized. Clearly, the red denotes that he is a member of the Ruby Sentinel

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0487.html
How about that green paladin? He has the same color as the dwarf. Do you think OOTS have Valhalla?

Dr.Epic
2012-01-16, 01:20 PM
Though yeah, I agree with you and Ancalagon on Sir Francis. Leaving Elan let him Pally around to the best of his abilities much, much better, and to actually be effective. I wouldn't mind a little bonus story on him if there's another SSDT-type book (assuming he's not in that.... I've only just gotten through the Julio Scoundrčl segement and a little into the Dragon Mag comics). Since he and Roy's jerkface of a Paladin were the only two non-Sapphire Guard Pallys we've seen so far, that I know of

Abandoning Elan by lying to him and telling him to count to 100; I wouldn't call it evil especially after all the turmoil Elan put him through. Still, it was kind of deceitful. I'm not saying it's an offense worthy of him losing his class features, but several such incidents - well, become a NEUTRAL good character would cause a paladin to lose his class features.

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-22, 07:06 PM
... I wouldn't mind a little bonus story on him ...

Well if you've got $1,250 spare you can buy him a backstory from the Giant as part of the Kickstarter drive.

silvadel
2012-01-22, 08:24 PM
Killed by Hilgya.

(my guess)

Rationalle -- Hilgya was doing a bunch of divinations on Durkon after the break-up and saw the scene from Origin and decided to take him out.