PDA

View Full Version : AvB-Speed

Sir_Chivalry
2012-01-12, 10:55 PM
Speed finds himself in the workshop of one Francis Durham, a blacksmith in these parts. In exchange for the loan of his shop, he has a few favours to ask . . .

"So, what exactly did you need this shop for again?"

Kremti
2012-01-13, 01:13 PM
"Hello again, Mr. Durham. I have a commissioned work today. I require the use of the forge for a creation of a chainshirt.", Speed's Helper nods to the blacksmith, walking in with the hammer, anvil, and a bag of raw iron on the back of "Dog".
OK, am not sure how it works here, but a few background things...

If you haven't checked my character sheet, my character is "Speed's Helper", the warforged. "Speed" himself is a octagenarian human crafter, who is the owner of "Speed's Alchemy". He is an old man who is not very wealthy but is a master craftsman in his own right, and just keeps working on the craft himself, almost to the point of hobby rather than work. Despite the name "Speed", nowadays, he works *very, very* slow, and consequently, his business is rather...slow. Barely keeping afloat.

The background is that, "Speed's Helper" was a piece of Warforged head/helmet Speed rescued from a junkyard. So in a sense, the Helper is kind of a "Dedicated Wright", except, Speed ended up creating a sentient Warforged instead of a Homonculus. It is indicated by Speed's Helper's feat that he used to be Speed's Apprentice, but upon hitting level 5, he is no longer under the apprenticeship anymore, and Speed, in fact, upgraded the Helper (which, by the way, is a nickname people just call the Warforged "Helper") a "business partner". Because Speed himself is no longer particularly interested in making the business really work, it's up to Helper to actually run the business profitably...

So, just you know, Durham probably calls the Warforged "Speed's Helper" (assuming Speed has been around long enough to know Durham and Durham know Speed, and because Helper's been around, following Speed as Apprentice).

Also, a couple of other questions...

Helper needs to make Chainshirt and Cloak. But it also might require "cart". I am thinking it might want to bring the cart to the Arena, sell some goods right outside of the door, in case audience wants to buy some stuff. Does Helper need to buy/craft cart (Helper has woodworking...). So that's third item it needs to craft. And if Helper wants to sell some stuff there...it might need to have some stuff crafted beforehand to sell.

So, am just wondering...how "detail" do you want this part of business to be role-played, and how much do you want to simply roll dice and say "Speed's Wagon made x gold pieces today"? Shall I start making a list of items that might be sold at the Arena? And market?
-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-01-17, 10:18 PM
"Hello again, Mr. Durham. I have a commissioned work today. I require the use of the forge for a creation of a chainshirt.", Speed's Helper nods to the blacksmith, walking in with the hammer, anvil, and a bag of raw iron on the back of "Dog".
OK, am not sure how it works here, but a few background things...

If you haven't checked my character sheet, my character is "Speed's Helper", the warforged. "Speed" himself is a octagenarian human crafter, who is the owner of "Speed's Alchemy". He is an old man who is not very wealthy but is a master craftsman in his own right, and just keeps working on the craft himself, almost to the point of hobby rather than work. Despite the name "Speed", nowadays, he works *very, very* slow, and consequently, his business is rather...slow. Barely keeping afloat.

The background is that, "Speed's Helper" was a piece of Warforged head/helmet Speed rescued from a junkyard. So in a sense, the Helper is kind of a "Dedicated Wright", except, Speed ended up creating a sentient Warforged instead of a Homonculus. It is indicated by Speed's Helper's feat that he used to be Speed's Apprentice, but upon hitting level 5, he is no longer under the apprenticeship anymore, and Speed, in fact, upgraded the Helper (which, by the way, is a nickname people just call the Warforged "Helper") a "business partner". Because Speed himself is no longer particularly interested in making the business really work, it's up to Helper to actually run the business profitably...

So, just you know, Durham probably calls the Warforged "Speed's Helper" (assuming Speed has been around long enough to know Durham and Durham know Speed, and because Helper's been around, following Speed as Apprentice).

Also, a couple of other questions...

Helper needs to make Chainshirt and Cloak. But it also might require "cart". I am thinking it might want to bring the cart to the Arena, sell some goods right outside of the door, in case audience wants to buy some stuff. Does Helper need to buy/craft cart (Helper has woodworking...). So that's third item it needs to craft. And if Helper wants to sell some stuff there...it might need to have some stuff crafted beforehand to sell.

So, am just wondering...how "detail" do you want this part of business to be role-played, and how much do you want to simply roll dice and say "Speed's Wagon made x gold pieces today"? Shall I start making a list of items that might be sold at the Arena? And market?
-K

"Certainly, let's get the particulars down."

Roll a few checks and we will see how far you can get. Then we roll a couple more. I'd suggest both the cart and some items to sell being used though, that is a good idea

Kremti
2012-01-18, 05:39 PM
"I will require two working days of the use of the forge, Master Blacksmith. Do you require compensation?", Speed's Helper sets the hammer and anvil down, along with the bag of scraps off of Dog's back.
Hm, Myth Weaver is Black-Outing today, so I can't quite check the specifics of my character, but all of the crafting skills are at +10, so, can make any masterwork items with taking 10 on the craft check. I'm going to go ahead and make the chainshirt Masterwork, so I *think* this requires 2 days (one day for chainshirt - DC14, Check 20, success, multiplied for 280, which is more than the cost of Chain shirt, which is 100, plus another day for Masterwork Component as per the rule stipulates that the component count as "another item". DC20, Check 20, success, multiplied for 400, which is more than the cost of "Masterwork Armor Component" which is 150g).

Will have to blow almost all of the Infusion slots to make these items if Helper is to make enough stuff to get ready for the Fight Night. Plus I think Helper is going to have to make some magic items himself. At least a Least Crystal of Return, since the skeleton might end up using it in the combat and people might want to buy it after seeing it in the action...
-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-01-24, 11:08 PM
"I will require two working days of the use of the forge, Master Blacksmith. Do you require compensation?", Speed's Helper sets the hammer and anvil down, along with the bag of scraps off of Dog's back.
Hm, Myth Weaver is Black-Outing today, so I can't quite check the specifics of my character, but all of the crafting skills are at +10, so, can make any masterwork items with taking 10 on the craft check. I'm going to go ahead and make the chainshirt Masterwork, so I *think* this requires 2 days (one day for chainshirt - DC14, Check 20, success, multiplied for 280, which is more than the cost of Chain shirt, which is 100, plus another day for Masterwork Component as per the rule stipulates that the component count as "another item". DC20, Check 20, success, multiplied for 400, which is more than the cost of "Masterwork Armor Component" which is 150g).

Will have to blow almost all of the Infusion slots to make these items if Helper is to make enough stuff to get ready for the Fight Night. Plus I think Helper is going to have to make some magic items himself. At least a Least Crystal of Return, since the skeleton might end up using it in the combat and people might want to buy it after seeing it in the action...
-K

The price is measured in sp if I'm not mistaken. So multiply those crafting times by ten in that case. That being said, whatever time it takes, he gets it done by Fight Night, sliding timescale in effect.

Kremti
2012-01-25, 12:08 PM
Actually, you are correct that the original rule is that you are supposed to measure it in sp. But, Rizban changed and house-ruled it into gp here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205374
Under "General Rulings" - "Crafting times for non-magical items are based on gp value not sp value and are rolled per day rather than per week, which almost guarantees creating a mundane object within 24 hours with the appropriate craft skill."

You might also want to note another house-rule that affects crafting. The rule below the rule about mundane crafting - "Crafting magic items requires 1 day per 10,000 gp of the base price rather than per 1,000 gp. Yes, this does mean you can brew multiple potions or create multiple low cost items in a single day." This will come up since I am thinking of making at least 2 Least Crystals of Return (At 300gps each, this will take no-time to craft under that house-rule...leaving Helper to make another magic item. Considering creating a wand of Alter Self...just can't resist the possibility that Speed's Helper can Alter Self himself into a Large Animated Object, making himself a...Cart! X-D )

-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-01-25, 05:04 PM
Actually, you are correct that the original rule is that you are supposed to measure it in sp. But, Rizban changed and house-ruled it into gp here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205374
Under "General Rulings" - "Crafting times for non-magical items are based on gp value not sp value and are rolled per day rather than per week, which almost guarantees creating a mundane object within 24 hours with the appropriate craft skill."

You might also want to note another house-rule that affects crafting. The rule below the rule about mundane crafting - "Crafting magic items requires 1 day per 10,000 gp of the base price rather than per 1,000 gp. Yes, this does mean you can brew multiple potions or create multiple low cost items in a single day." This will come up since I am thinking of making at least 2 Least Crystals of Return (At 300gps each, this will take no-time to craft under that house-rule...leaving Helper to make another magic item. Considering creating a wand of Alter Self...just can't resist the possibility that Speed's Helper can Alter Self himself into a Large Animated Object, making himself a...Cart! X-D )

-K

You know, even as I wrote that, I thought I remembered a houserule. All good then.

Kremti
2012-01-26, 11:16 AM
So, this is the plan so far...
I'm currently guessing Francis Durham will want me to do some chore or something, in return for the use of the forge. Let me know if that's not the case, and if Helper can start using it.
So, depending on how involved the chore might be, Speed's Helper will be using Unseen Crafter infusion twice over the two days to have the masterwork chainshirt made (so he doesn't have to attend the creation) while Helper itself will go off and do the chore, and time permitting, it will create 3 magic items (which can't be outsource since Speed's Helper doesn't have a Dedicated Wight), 1 Wand of Alter Self (priced at 4500gps, which means this will take a touch below 4 hours to create) and 2 Least Crystal of Return (priced at 300gps each, which means these will take very small amount of time...).
If Helper doesn't have to spend all of his Infusions on the "chore", he will go ahead and blow all of his level 2 and 3 infusions to make more items. One must be a cloak for the Skeleton to wear. Another one to make a banner/shop sign that bears a logo that matches with the cloak Skeleton is going to be wearing in the Arena Match. Another one is probably going to be a wooden cart. The rest will be various useful Alchemy items like Shapesand, Tanglefoot Bag, and so on.

Then, he will use the wand to Alter Self himself to turn himself into a metal cart-like vehicle of Animated Object, and pull the wooden cart full of items he made, with shop sign flying in the wind, and drive it to the front of the Arena, to deliver the stuff to the Skeleton, and park in front of the Arena so he can sell the stuff to the Audience coming and going to the arena!

Well, that's the plan for now...so, I was going to post on the Fighting Ring thread for the delivery part. But entry will change slightly if I blow the roll on Alter Self wand creation. So I'm going to just roll here to see if I actually successfully create the wand.
Roll 1 for Wand of Alter Self: [roll0]
Roll 2 for Wand of Alter Self, in case roll 1 fail, Artificer reroll: [roll1]

Oh, another roll I'm suppose to do but been forgetting...hit points for level 6. Take the first non-1 number
[roll2]
Let me know when I should just go ahead and post in the Fight Night thread.
-K

Kremti
2012-01-26, 11:18 AM
The trio waits patiently for the approval from Francis Durham.
OOps, this was supposed to be at the top of the post right above...double posting! Sorry. DIdn't want to edit the post with rolls :smalltongue:
-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-01-31, 01:33 PM
The trio waits patiently for the approval from Francis Durham.
OOps, this was supposed to be at the top of the post right above...double posting! Sorry. DIdn't want to edit the post with rolls :smalltongue:
-K

Durham approves.

"I have a package I need delivered though, and if you could run it to the intended recipient, I could prepare the forge."

Kremti
2012-01-31, 02:19 PM
The warforged nods, "Yes, that should be simple enough, and if you can prepare the forge in the meanwhile, much appreciated, Master Blacksmith. So where is the package, and where is it going to?"
Well, let's hope this doesn't take like multiple days and have Durham set up the forge, and make him wait *laugh*
-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-01-31, 02:20 PM
The warforged nods, "Yes, that should be simple enough, and if you can prepare the forge in the meanwhile, much appreciated, Master Blacksmith. So where is the package, and where is it going to?"
Well, let's hope this doesn't take like multiple days and have Durham set up the forge, and make him wait *laugh*
-K

He motions to a wrapped paper-covered box.

"Take this to a friend of mine down at the Old Weavers, it's a tavern of sorts."

Kremti
2012-01-31, 03:49 PM
"Right away, then. And what is your friend's identifying handle, and the said target's general visual marker?"
Any idea if Old Weavers is well known and known to Helper, and what does the wrapping-paper look like? Fancy gift type? Lovey dovey romantic valentine-themed wrapping paper? Arcane-rune covered magical wrapping paper of doom?
-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-01, 12:43 AM
"Right away, then. And what is your friend's identifying handle, and the said target's general visual marker?"
Any idea if Old Weavers is well known and known to Helper, and what does the wrapping-paper look like? Fancy gift type? Lovey dovey romantic valentine-themed wrapping paper? Arcane-rune covered magical wrapping paper of doom?
-K

"His name is Ignatius. You'll know him by his hair."

You'll be able to find it. The paper is simple brown paper tied with string.

Kremti
2012-02-01, 11:52 AM
"Very well. It shall be done immediately."

Helper puts the hammer and anvil into the corner, and also drags the scrap metals over to the corner as well. Then puts the package in its backpack, and runs off, followed by the Mini-Helper and Dog...
Off to get to the The Old Weavers!
-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-01, 09:33 PM
"Very well. It shall be done immediately."

Helper puts the hammer and anvil into the corner, and also drags the scrap metals over to the corner as well. Then puts the package in its backpack, and runs off, followed by the Mini-Helper and Dog...
Off to get to the The Old Weavers!
-K

When you reach the place, there is a long line-up outside the door of people waiting to get in. A tough looking bouncer stands guard over the door.

Kremti
2012-02-02, 10:39 AM
The trio takes the spot at the rear of the line.

The Helper asks to the patron right in front of it, "This establishment must be very profitable. Is this a regular occurrence, or is there any special engagement happening here?"
Helper will keep watching who is getting bounced, and who is getting let in, if people are actually getting refused to let in...
-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-02, 09:34 PM
The trio takes the spot at the rear of the line.

The Helper asks to the patron right in front of it, "This establishment must be very profitable. Is this a regular occurrence, or is there any special engagement happening here?"
Helper will keep watching who is getting bounced, and who is getting let in, if people are actually getting refused to let in...
-K

"You kidding friend? This is the most happening place in town. No one gets in who isn't somebody."

Kremti
2012-02-03, 10:49 AM
The armored figure remains silent for two seconds.

"Then parhaps you've heard of an individual known as 'Ignatius'?"

-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-03, 08:56 PM
The armored figure remains silent for two seconds.

"Then parhaps you've heard of an individual known as 'Ignatius'?"

-K

"Never heard of him mate."

The line grows shorter.

Kremti
2012-02-08, 11:32 AM
"I was told his mane on his skull was most impressive. Perhaps you know the coiffure?"

Speed's Helper Trio inches towards the entrance, as the line moves along.

-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-08, 03:41 PM
"I was told his mane on his skull was most impressive. Perhaps you know the coiffure?"

Speed's Helper Trio inches towards the entrance, as the line moves along.

-K

"Oh, Iggy, with the . . ."

he motions over his head with his hands

"Ya, him, I know him. He's a right @$$hole."

Kremti
2012-02-22, 10:31 AM
Helper's helmet tilts ever so slightly.

"Right @$$hole? Is there such thing as the right rectum and wrong rectum to humanoids? What makes one's rectum right?"

The trip keeps inching towards the door as the line shrinks.
Sorry, RL got busy. Should be back regularly now
-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-22, 01:30 PM
Helper's helmet tilts ever so slightly.

"Right @$$hole? Is there such thing as the right rectum and wrong rectum to humanoids? What makes one's rectum right?"

The trip keeps inching towards the door as the line shrinks.
Sorry, RL got busy. Should be back regularly now
-K

The guy looks at you confused and then just ignores you.

You get to the front of the line

The bouncer eyes you for a moment.

"Name?" he asks boredly

Assuming you give him the name.

"Well Trio. People call me Ohmightyonepleaseletmein. My friends call me Bernie. So, what will you call me Trio? Just a dry acquaintance that stays on formal names or would you like to enter the tight circle that calls me Bernie..." he says and makes a very slight movement with his fingers as if greasing something.

"I mean I don’t see no Trio on the list. But perhaps I can’t see well enough, it has been a long day. Perhaps if we were friends I could have a better look"

Kremti
2012-02-22, 04:53 PM
"I am identified by most humanoids as Speed's Helper, Mr Ohmightyonepleaseletmein.", Helper says, presumably, in straight face, not that you can see the face with the helmet, but the voice appears to be pretty sincere.

"If that is a list of invited guest, Mr Ohmightyonepleaseletmein, my identifier is perhaps not on your list. I am here to deliver a package to a man called Ignatius, or perhaps, Iggy, with", Helper does the handwave over the head just like the man who was ahead of line just did minutes ago.

"on behalf of Francis Durham, the Blacksmith. As for the membership of your group, is there any benefit to the membership? Fee? How are the members initiated? Does Alchemist's Guild Membership substitute it?"

-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-22, 09:06 PM
"I am identified by most humanoids as Speed's Helper, Mr Ohmightyonepleaseletmein.", Helper says, presumably, in straight face, not that you can see the face with the helmet, but the voice appears to be pretty sincere.

"If that is a list of invited guest, Mr Ohmightyonepleaseletmein, my identifier is perhaps not on your list. I am here to deliver a package to a man called Ignatius, or perhaps, Iggy, with", Helper does the handwave over the head just like the man who was ahead of line just did minutes ago.

"on behalf of Francis Durham, the Blacksmith. As for the membership of your group, is there any benefit to the membership? Fee? How are the members initiated? Does Alchemist's Guild Membership substitute it?"

-K

"Oh, you're here for Iggy? Sure, go on in, just don't loiter, or my boss'll get angry"

Kremti
2012-02-23, 10:10 AM
Helper, Mini-Helper and Dog walks into the bar.
Obviously I should come up with a punch line...
And start looking around with the obvious sign of the man with an impressive hairdo.

-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-23, 10:23 AM
Helper, Mini-Helper and Dog walks into the bar.
Obviously I should come up with a punch line...
And start looking around with the obvious sign of the man with an impressive hairdo.

-K

A man with a towering coiffure is soon spotted sitting by the bar. He is lanky and wearing woolen clothing, as if he is too cold. In fact he is shivering.

Kremti
2012-02-24, 03:53 PM
Speed's Helper and its entourage walks over to the tall man with the impressive hairdo and sticks its gauntlet hand with palm open for handshake.

"Hello, Mr Ignatius? I have a delivery from Master Blacksmith Durham."
I take it the temperature here inside the tavern is comfortable? Does he look sick or ill per se? Helper doesn't have any Knowledge: Local...as far as Helper can tell Ignatius is human, with big hair?
-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-25, 12:15 PM
Speed's Helper and its entourage walks over to the tall man with the impressive hairdo and sticks its gauntlet hand with palm open for handshake.

"Hello, Mr Ignatius? I have a delivery from Master Blacksmith Durham."
I take it the temperature here inside the tavern is comfortable? Does he look sick or ill per se? Helper doesn't have any Knowledge: Local...as far as Helper can tell Ignatius is human, with big hair?
-K

"Oh, thank you. You're a strange fellow, what brings you to be delivering this?"
Yes to temp, yes to looking sick, yes to human.

Kremti
2012-02-27, 11:42 AM
"I am in need of the use of Master Blacksmith's Forge, and he asked the delivery as a favor. Are you not functioning well? Climate here appears to be within the working parameter of most residents of Aldhaven, yet you exhibit the signs of lower climate."

-K

Kremti
2012-02-27, 11:48 AM
::Deleted for double post::

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-29, 12:50 PM
"I am in need of the use of Master Blacksmith's Forge, and he asked the delivery as a favor. Are you not functioning well? Climate here appears to be within the working parameter of most residents of Aldhaven, yet you exhibit the signs of lower climate."

-K

"Wha? I'm sorry, what was that? You making fun of my shivering? Well, you've delivered the package, now either buy me a drink or get away from me."

He takes the package.

Kremti
2012-02-29, 03:52 PM
Speed's Helper nods, and leaves the scene along with its two homunculi, and they all head back to the Blacksmith.

Outside, on the way back to Durham's, Speed's Helper notes to Mini-Helper, "Strange fellow, even for humans. Does not look like he requires Master Blacksmith's work.", and Mini-Helper nods along while flying right besides the Warforged.
I suppose they'll just get back to the Blacksmith...probably not enough to stick nose where it doesn't belong X-D
-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-01, 03:22 PM
Speed's Helper nods, and leaves the scene along with its two homunculi, and they all head back to the Blacksmith.

Outside, on the way back to Durham's, Speed's Helper notes to Mini-Helper, "Strange fellow, even for humans. Does not look like he requires Master Blacksmith's work.", and Mini-Helper nods along while flying right besides the Warforged.
I suppose they'll just get back to the Blacksmith...probably not enough to stick nose where it doesn't belong X-D
-K

When you get back, the blacksmith is setting up the forge and workshop for you.

"You find him alright?"

Kremti
2012-03-01, 05:35 PM
"Yes, he was readily identifiable and quite an odd fellow. His body appeared to be mulfunctioning, and his muscles appeared to be contracting randomly. He did not ask for an assistance, medical or otherwise, however. He simply took your package.", Speed's Helper replies to Francis Durham.

-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-06, 10:29 PM
"Well as long as he took the package. I've set up the workshop for you, I hope everything is to your liking."

Kremti
2012-03-07, 01:04 PM
"Thank you, Master Blacksmith. Yes, he has received the package.", Speed's Helper starts to grab the hammer and anvil and prepares them by cleaning them with the rug, and starts chanting while coating them in a strange oily substance. Soon, the hammer and anvil starts to move by themselves as if an invisible hands are working them, and with the scraps of metals they brought, the hammer and anvil start to create a chainshirt.
Using 2 Unseen Crafter Infusion to create the chainshirt...by taking 10 on armor-smithing skill, Speed's Helper will create the Masterwork Chainshirt for Bennett in 2 days, and in the meanwhile...
Speed's Helper watches the hammer and anvil start working on the chainshirt for a minute or two, and then takes out a piece of twig, and sit down and starts curving several runes onto it.
Creating Wand of Alter Self, as mentioned earlier...this should take 3.5 hours. The roll to make this was rolled earlier on this thread (and was success!
-K

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-12, 04:56 PM
"Thank you, Master Blacksmith. Yes, he has received the package.", Speed's Helper starts to grab the hammer and anvil and prepares them by cleaning them with the rug, and starts chanting while coating them in a strange oily substance. Soon, the hammer and anvil starts to move by themselves as if an invisible hands are working them, and with the scraps of metals they brought, the hammer and anvil start to create a chainshirt.
Using 2 Unseen Crafter Infusion to create the chainshirt...by taking 10 on armor-smithing skill, Speed's Helper will create the Masterwork Chainshirt for Bennett in 2 days, and in the meanwhile...
Speed's Helper watches the hammer and anvil start working on the chainshirt for a minute or two, and then takes out a piece of twig, and sit down and starts curving several runes onto it.
Creating Wand of Alter Self, as mentioned earlier...this should take 3.5 hours. The roll to make this was rolled earlier on this thread (and was success!
-K

Speed's Helper manages to craft the wand with no problems at all, making it both funtional and stylish.