PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying a Goliath

Kadzar
2012-01-13, 02:05 AM
So, earlier this week, I joined a 4e game, and decided to play a bow-using Goliath Warlord. Of course, since goliaths aren't exactly a stock fantasy race, roleplaying one is a tricky concept.

I found some nice information about them from this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040807a&page=2) Races of Stone excerpt. I'm wondering if anyone who has the book might know if it has a lot more useful information about the race so that it would be worth buying? Or does anyone know of any other useful source material on goliaths?

That excerpt alone has given me some good ideas. I'm thinking he was a warrior who was crippled at some point, so his tribe abandoned him, but he was rescued and nursed back to health by either dwarves or humans. When he regained some strength in his legs, he wanted to help out his host family, but he still had a significant limp, so he took up the bow so he could hunt defend them against invaders.

Volos
2012-01-13, 11:04 AM
Here is a review (http://www.dndarchive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=457:races-of-stone&catid=18:d20-source-books&Itemid=3) of Races of Stone, as an owner of said book I would agree with most everything in this review.

The goliath are a strange race. They're a mix of mountain people, stoic warriors, and nature worshipers. Their massive near-large size makes them stand out, much in the way a dwarf would for being slightly smaller than the human average. Their powerful build gives them a distinct advantage in combat situations and synergizes well with the abilites of certain classes (Barbarian or Druid anyone?). As for roleplaying them, I can't give any personal advice. I had a player choose to play a Goliath Barbarian once, but he went the way of the Bear Warrior and spent most of his time as a bear anyways. Before that he was a fairly silent character, only speaking when his personal insight could forward the conversation or planning of the other party members. He felt strongly about respecting nature and faith even though he didn't have a distinct diety. Whenever there was a chance for a physical challenge, be it wrestling a owlbear or outrunning a swift monk, he was more than ready for the competition and a good sport whether he won or lost. Eventually he started worshiping Kord, as he saw that the god's love of contest was aligned with his own. He would avoid raging unless he had to defend his friends or take down a seriously powerful foe. (This wasn't from lack of rages per day, but rather a roleplaying choice).

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-13, 01:38 PM
Here is a review (http://www.dndarchive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=457:races-of-stone&catid=18:d20-source-books&Itemid=3) of Races of Stone, as an owner of said book I would agree with most everything in this review.

I must talk to this person about the worth of a single fighter level. One, we're talking about fighter. Two, he's forgetting an extra hit die and a bonus feat.

Anyway, I like the 4e fluff. Basically just tribesmen who like to compete with others of similar professions.

The Glyphstone
2012-01-13, 04:22 PM
I must talk to this person about the worth of a single fighter level. One, we're talking about fighter. Two, he's forgetting an extra hit die and a bonus feat.

Anyway, I like the 4e fluff. Basically just tribesmen who like to compete with others of similar professions.

Fighter 3 doesn't award a bonus feat, just sayin'.:smallcool: