PDA

View Full Version : Go! Susano-o! (3.5 Persona 4 Spells, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-13, 09:56 PM
These spells are all designed with careful balance of the effects themselves in mind, and not whether metamagic could be used to screw them up. These spells should not be allowed in any game where the Persist Spell feat is allowed.

Rakukaja
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 1, Cleric 1, Bard 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close
Target: One creature
Duration: 3 rounds
Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates (Harmless)
SR: Yes (Harmless)

You empower one ally (or yourself) and strengthen its natural defenses. The creature receives Damage Reduction X/- for the duration of the spell, where X is equal to your class level. This damage reduction does not stack with any other source of damage reduction (including a second casting of this spell). This spell counters and dispels rakunda.

Tarukaja
Transmutation

You empower an allied creature (or yourself). For the duration of the spell, whenever the creature deals weapon damage, it deals an additional 1 point of damage per caster level. This spell does not stack with itself. This spell counters and dispels tarunda.

Sukukaja
Transmutation

You grant an allied creature (or yourself) sharper reflexes. The creature gains a +1/2 CL dodge bonus to their AC for the duration of the spell (minimum +1). This spell counters and dispels sukunda. This spell does not stack with itself.

Rakunda
Transmutation
Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates
SR: Yes

You curse one creature, weakening its natural defenses. For the duration of the spell, whenever the creature takes weapon damage, it takes an additional 1 point of damage per caster level. This spell does not stack with itself. This spell counters and dispels rakukaja.

Tarunda
Transmutation

You curse one creature, weakening its natural power. For the duration of the spell, the affected creature receives a -1/CL penalty on all its weapon damage rolls. This penalty does not stack with itself. This spell counters and dispels tarukaja.

Sukunda
Transmutation

You curse a creature, weakening its natural reflexes. The creature takes a -1/2 CL penalty to its AC for the duration of the spell (minimum -1). This effect does not stack with itself. This spell counters and dispels sukukaja.

Marakukaja
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Cleric 5, Bard 4
Range: Medium
Target: Up to one creature per level, no two of which may be more than 30 ft apart

This spell functions just like rakukaja except as noted above. This spell counters and dispels marakunda.

Matarukaja
Transmutation
Target: Up to one creature per level, no two of which may be more than 30 ft apart

This spell functions just like tarukaja except as noted above. This spell counters and dispels matarunda.

Masukukaja
Transmutation

This spell functions just like sukukaja except as noted above. This spell counters and dispels masukunda.

Marakunda
Transmutation

This spell functions just like rakunda except as noted above. This spell counters and dispels marakukaja.

Matarunda
Transmutation

This spell functions just like tarunda except as noted above. This spell counters and dispels matarukaja.

Masukunda
Transmutation

This spell functions just like sukunda except as noted above. This spell counters and dispels masukukaja.

Dekunda
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 2, Cleric 2, Bard 2
Target: Up to four creatures, no two of which may be more than 30 ft apart
Saving Throw: None
SR: No

This spell functions like dispel magic, except that you may only end the effects of the following spells (however, you get a dispel check against each separate effect, rather than just trying to dispel the highest level and working your way down): rakunda, tarunda, sukunda, marakunda, matarunda, masukunda. Additionally, you may add your full caster level to the dispel check (it is not capped at +10)

Dekaja
Abjuration
Target: Up to four creatures, no two of which may be more than 30 ft apart

This spell functions like dispel magic, except that you may only end the effects of the following spells (however, you get a dispel check against each separate effect, rather than just trying to dispel the highest level and working your way down): rakukaja, tarukaja, sukukaja, marakukaja, matarukaja, masukukaja. Additionally, you may add your full caster level to the dispel check (it is not capped at +10).

Rebellion
Transmutation
Saving Throw: Will Negates (Harmless)

This spell allows the creature in question to deliver devastating blows. The creature doubles the threat range of any weapon(s) he wields for the duration of the spell (including natural weapons). This spells stacks with other such bonuses (like the Improved Critical feat or the keen weapon enhancement) but does not stack with itself or the spell revolution.

Revolution
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Cleric 3, Bard 3
Range: Personal
Area: 30 ft radius Emanation
Saving Throw: Will Negates (Harmless)

You throw your fist into the air and cry out loudly, "No need to hold back now! Revolution!" and all creatures in the area of effect immediately become stronger.

This spell doubles the critical threat range of all weapons that all creatures in the area of effect are wielding (including natural weapons). This spell affects all creatures in the area, including enemies. This spell stacks with other such effects, including the Improved Critical feat and the keen weapon enhancement, but does not stack with itself or the spell rebellion.

Hamaon
Evocation [Light] [Good] [Death]
Level: Sor/Wiz 7, Cleric 7, Bard 6
Target: One non-Good creature
Duration: Instantaneous

As you wave your hand, the creature erupts in pure light, and life leaves its body.

This spell instantly kills a creature, as the slay living spell. There is no saving throw, but this spell only has a 25% chance of success. If used against an evil creature, this spell instead has a 50% chance of success.

Mudoon
Evocation [Darkness] [Evil] [Death]
Level: Sor/Wiz 7, Cleric 7, Bard 6
Target: One non-Evil creature
Duration: Instantaneous

As you wave your hand, the creature is consumed by pure darkness, and life leaves its body.

This spell instantly kills a creature, as the slay living spell. There is no saving throw, but this spell only has a 25% chance of success. If used against a good creature, this spell instead has a 50% chance of success.

Foul Breath- A Rainy Knight
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 1, Clr 1, Bard 1

You weaken one creature with a vile miasma, increasing its susceptibility to other effects. The creature takes a -1/2 CL penalty to all saving throws for the duration of the spell (minimum -1). This effect does not stack with itself.

Stagnant Air- A Rainy Knight
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 2, Clr 2, Bard 2
Target: All creatures within range, including the caster

This spell functions just as foul breath except as noted above.

Power Charge
Transmutation
Target: You
Duration: 1 round

The next successful attack you make with a manufactured or natural weapon within the duration of the spell automatically threatens and confirms a critical hit. If your attack roll would threaten a critical hit, and you confirm it, you instead increase your weapon's critical multiplier by 1.

Mind Charge
Transmutation
Target: You
Duration: 1 round

The next spell you cast within the duration that deals hit point damage instead deals double damage. If the damage is expressed in dice, you deal double dice damage. If it deals static damage, you deal twice that much static damage.

For example, a 10th level sorcerer who is affected by mind charge casts the fireball spell. She deals 20d6 points of fire damage to all creatures in the area. However, if that same sorcerer instead cast thunderhead, the creature she targeted would take 2 points of electricity damage per round for 10 rounds.

If you are under the effect of this spell and you cast a weaponlike spell, and you threaten and confirm a critical hit with that spell, you increase the critical multiplier of that spell by 1 (but then you don't deal double damage with the spell).

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-14, 02:11 PM
Really curious what people have to say about these, as I'm a big video game player and the idea of using Defense, Attack and Speed stats in addition to Str, Dex and Con for combat is pretty interesting to me. No feedback from anyone?

DonDuckie
2012-01-14, 05:54 PM
They look like fun.

That being said:
Spells usually don't stack with themselves but it's not a fixed rule. Dodge bonuses do stack, so the spell granting dodge bonus to AC should specify not stacking. And +1 per two caster levels seems closer to balanced, the same goes for the AC penalty spell.

The one(I just can't remember the names:smallsmile:) that increases weapon damage should target the weapon instead of the creature, I'm all for giving good thing to TWF'ers, but once you make 100 armed sword tornados, this spell loses all balance.

Quickening some of these spells will be well worth it. So they remain relevant, they are also good candidates for Extend. I know you said you haven't accounted for metamagic, but these are core stables.

You may want to make the mass versions "Range: medium", it makes them good army spells, where you want your casters a little farther away from the frontlines.

But I really like them. Except for the names:smallconfused:

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-14, 06:05 PM
Changed the ranges, and change the AC to 1/2 CL, but I'm not messing with Tarunda and Tarukaja, as the majority of creatures use multiple natural weapons, rather than a single weapon, and therefore buffing a single weapon would make the spells a waste of an action rather than a significant buff.

Vauron
2012-01-14, 06:16 PM
DonDuckie, these spells are references to the Persona 3+4 games.

Now, my thoughts in general are that the -kagas would see more use than the -kundas due to the addition of a save. While the potency of the spells scales strongly, the save doesn't, so the -kundas quickly fall off in comparison.

Additionally, would you mind stating why you removed the effects they have on spells and non-weapons? I assume its some variant of 'casters have enough nice things', but I'd like to confirm that is your reasoning.

Lastly, unless you have these spells be incredibly common in your world, I can't help but see Dekaga and Dekunda as lackluster at best. I suppose knowing them wouldn't bother a cleric or wizard, but a sorcerer or bard would likely just rely on scrolls instead of spending a spell known on it.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-14, 06:24 PM

Now, my thoughts in general are that the -kagas would see more use than the -kundas due to the addition of a save. While the potency of the spells scales strongly, the save doesn't, so the -kundas quickly fall off in comparison.

Additionally, would you mind stating why you removed the effects they have on spells and non-weapons? I assume its some variant of 'casters have enough nice things', but I'd like to confirm that is your reasoning.

Because a spell adding damage to a spell is just weird and strikes me as kind of idiotic, really. Besides, it would make Rakukaja and Tarunda too difficult to write. (DR doesn't apply to spells anyway, so I'd have to write that it shaved points off, and somehow worked on both magical and physical attacks, which again, just doesn't make any sense).

It's a lot simpler to keep it weapon-only (and it firmly cements the spell as a 1st level spell, along with the duration, rather than higher)

Lastly, unless you have these spells be incredibly common in your world, I can't help but see Dekaga and Dekunda as lackluster at best. I suppose knowing them wouldn't bother a cleric or wizard, but a sorcerer or bard would likely just rely on scrolls instead of spending a spell known on it.

Oh, I realize that. I added them for completeness's sake. If you're going to omage a game, you should go in all the way, am I right?

gomanfox
2012-01-14, 06:36 PM

Or actually references to pretty much any game in the Shin Megami Tensei series, as far as I know.

I think these are really cool, the only feedback I can think to give would be to alter the wording on Sukunda and Sukukaja so they give a minimum bonus of +1 (so the spells aren't useless at first level). Maybe word it something like "The target gets a +1 dodge bonus to AC per two caster levels (minimum +1 dodge bonus)"

DonDuckie
2012-01-14, 06:36 PM
I don't know what that is. Will research...:smallbiggrin:

You could differentiate:
Target: One manufactured weapon or All natural weapons of one creature

But if the ramifications are considered, then I have no problem.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-14, 06:41 PM
Or actually references to pretty much any game in the Shin Megami Tensei series, as far as I know.

I think these are really cool, the only feedback I can think to give would be to alter the wording on Sukunda and Sukukaja so they give a minimum bonus of +1 (so the spells aren't useless at first level). Maybe word it something like "The target gets a +1 dodge bonus to AC per two caster levels (minimum +1 dodge bonus)"

Oh right. Whoops. Adding that in now.

Ziegander
2012-01-14, 06:42 PM
The biggest problem I have with these spells, is that the 1st level spells are universally worthless to cast at 1st level. I don't really know how you fix them either, to be honest, because they really are tightly balanced, but I just hate to see 1st level spells that are worthless for a 1st level caster.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-14, 06:44 PM
The biggest problem I have with these spells, is that the 1st level spells are universally worthless to cast at 1st level. I don't really know how you fix them either, to be honest, because they really are tightly balanced, but I just hate to see 1st level spells that are worthless for a 1st level caster.

Yeah that's true, although DR 1/- for 3 rounds might arguably be worth the first level spell slot, at least for a transmuter. Not much I can do about it though.

Cieyrin
2012-01-16, 09:15 PM
Yeah that's true, although DR 1/- for 3 rounds might arguably be worth the first level spell slot, at least for a transmuter. Not much I can do about it though.

Would tag along nicely with Toughening Transmutation. DR 6/- at 1st level, yo! :smallbiggrin:

Otherwise, seem like they'll work just fine with your Evoker rules.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-16, 09:19 PM
Would tag along nicely with Toughening Transmutation. DR 6/- at 1st level, yo! :smallbiggrin:

Otherwise, seem like they'll work just fine with your Evoker rules.

Yeah, but it's for one round, a few times per day, and it costs a feat, as opposed to Stone Bones giving you DR 5/Adamantine for one round. :smallamused:

Cieyrin
2012-01-17, 10:43 AM
Yeah, but it's for one round, a few times per day, and it costs a feat, as opposed to Stone Bones giving you DR 5/Adamantine for one round. :smallamused:

At 1st level, I don't think there's really much of a difference, other than the spell lasts 3 rounds and can be Extended, whereas Stone Bones and its compatriots, barring Idiot Crusader shenanigans, gets their's every other round. 6 rounds of DR 8/- at level 3 is probably long enough for any encounter and I'm not exactly worried about the proliferation of Mountain Hammer chains, Shards of Granite, Foehammer or just using more Power Attack. Just saying it's a nice option.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-17, 10:48 AM
At 1st level, I don't think there's really much of a difference, other than the spell lasts 3 rounds and can be Extended, whereas Stone Bones and its compatriots, barring Idiot Crusader shenanigans, gets their's every other round. 6 rounds of DR 8/- at level 3 is probably long enough for any encounter and I'm not exactly worried about the proliferation of Mountain Hammer chains, Shards of Granite, Foehammer or just using more Power Attack. Just saying it's a nice option.

No, like I said, it lasts for one round. Toughening Transmutation's text clearly states "This effect lasts for 1 round".

Cieyrin
2012-01-17, 10:52 AM
No, like I said, it lasts for one round. Toughening Transmutation's text clearly states "This effect lasts for 1 round".

Oh...confused myself on how it works. Well, it's nice for the first round of the effect, then.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-17, 10:58 AM
Oh...confused myself on how it works. Well, it's nice for the first round of the effect, then.

Indeed, especially since you can either use it on yourself (and thus give yourself DR/Magic while you're buffing someone else) or pass it along to the target of the spell (and give them DR 25/- at CL 20 for a 1st level spell slot).

But, thankfully, it's not nearly as bad as you were saying. Otherwise Toughening Transmutation and stoneskin would make gishes almost untouchable by melee (at level 7-11, at least)

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-27, 03:05 PM
Update, added rebellion and revolution to the mix. (Is Shiki-Ouji not one of the best non-Max relationship Personas in the game, or what?)

Wyntonian
2012-01-27, 04:40 PM
This looks fun... I'll see if I can use some of these on my bard. The names are... creative?... But they look mostly worthwhile.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-27, 04:42 PM
This looks fun... I'll see if I can use some of these on my bard. The names are... creative?... But they look mostly worthwhile.

They're all named after Megami Tensei spells. It wouldn't be an omage to Persona 4 if I changed the names, now would it? :smalltongue:

A Rainy Knight
2012-01-27, 06:33 PM
Ha, I love the concept behind these. :smallbiggrin:

Any chance of a Heat Riser/Debilitate to put them all together?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-27, 06:36 PM
I actually haven't gotten far enough into the game to see Debilitate being used yet, and I only saw Heat Riser in the Kanji Shadow fight. :smallredface: (I just beat Mitsuo in my second playthrough, during my first playthrough I only managed to get up to around level 67 or so before the game ended. :smallannoyed:)

Edit: They're useful spells, and the mechanics are easy enough to figure out, but I wonder what level they would be?

A Rainy Knight
2012-01-27, 06:49 PM
Well, I guess you just missed it, since the persona I used to get Debilitate (Trumpeter) is a level 67 persona. :smalltongue: Easy to miss since he's one of those special multi-persona fusions, though.

Anyways, the increase in SP cost from, say, Tarukaja > Matarukaja is a little bigger than the increase from Matarukaja > Heat Riser, so maybe 7th or 8th level on the cleric/wizard scale? Seems a little steep, although I guess it's true to the fact that Debilitate and Heat Riser were pretty strictly endgame skills in the game.

And just to throw a few more spell ideas out there, what about Tetrakarn/Makarakarn and Tetra Break/Makara Break?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-27, 06:58 PM
Well, I guess you just missed it, since the persona I used to get Debilitate (Trumpeter) is a level 67 persona. :smalltongue: Easy to miss since he's one of those special multi-persona fusions, though.

Anyways, the increase in SP cost from, say, Tarukaja > Matarukaja is a little bigger than the increase from Matarukaja > Heat Riser, so maybe 7th or 8th level on the cleric/wizard scale? Seems a little steep, although I guess it's true to the fact that Debilitate and Heat Riser were pretty strictly endgame skills in the game.

And just to throw a few more spell ideas out there, what about Tetrakarn/Makarakarn and Tetra Break/Makara Break?

I always get those two confused. I guess one of them would be a spell turning effect, but how would you use the other?

I'm also going to make White/Red/Green/Blue Wall, which will all be easy enough, as well as Mind Charge and Power Charge.

What is the duration of Debilitate/Heat Riser anyway? Is it 1 round or 3 rounds?

A Rainy Knight
2012-01-27, 07:13 PM
I always get those two confused. I guess one of them would be a spell turning effect, but how would you use the other?

I'm also going to make White/Red/Green/Blue Wall, which will all be easy enough, as well as Mind Charge and Power Charge.

What is the duration of Debilitate/Heat Riser anyway? Is it 1 round or 3 rounds?

Tetrakarn is physicals and Makarakarn is magic... for Tetrakarn, maybe you could just do something simple like reflecting the damage you take from a single nonmagical attack (i.e. could not overcome DR/magic) back on the attacker who dealt it?

I'm pretty sure Heat Riser just acts like Tarukaja/Rakukaja/Sukukaja all cast at once, so it should have the same 3 round duration.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-27, 09:15 PM
Tetrakarn is physicals and Makarakarn is magic... for Tetrakarn, maybe you could just do something simple like reflecting the damage you take from a single nonmagical attack (i.e. could not overcome DR/magic) back on the attacker who dealt it?

Hmmm...that's pretty powerful but at the same time, plenty of monsters will be using magic weapons by the time it comes online. So okay.

I'm pretty sure Heat Riser just acts like Tarukaja/Rakukaja/Sukukaja all cast at once, so it should have the same 3 round duration.

Okay. I never knew the exact duration, since as soon as Nice Guy used it on Kanji's Shadow I was like ":smalleek: Oh sh- Yosuke! You're on Dekaja duty until I kill this guy!"

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-30, 02:08 PM
Added hamaon and mudoon. (On a completely related note, Naoto Shirogane is my favorite character)

A Rainy Knight
2012-01-30, 02:24 PM
Added hamaon and mudoon. (On a completely related note, Naoto Shirogane is my favorite character)

And to continue my trend of suggesting higher versions of things you've already done, will you make a Mahamaon/Mamudoon or Die For Me!/Samsara? I guess for Mahamaon and Mamudoon you could just increase the number of targets, and for Die For Me!/Samsara just increase the success rate on top of that.

Cieyrin
2012-01-30, 08:21 PM
Having no save but a success rate seems kinda weird and backwards. I mean, I know it's that way in the games but that doesn't mean it's the best method for 3.5. Especially since death is somewhat more expensive to overcome in 3.5 than it is in games, where you auto-revive or buy a Raise item for a fraction of what a Raise Dead requires. Also the fact that it's much easier to pick up an energy immunity in Persona against Light or Dark than it is in 3.5 to pick up the same immunity against Good or Evil spells. There's SR against it but that's not the same at all.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-30, 08:31 PM
Having no save but a success rate seems kinda weird and backwards. I mean, I know it's that way in the games but that doesn't mean it's the best method for 3.5. Especially since death is somewhat more expensive to overcome in 3.5 than it is in games, where you auto-revive or buy a Raise item for a fraction of what a Raise Dead requires. Also the fact that it's much easier to pick up an energy immunity in Persona against Light or Dark than it is in 3.5 to pick up the same immunity against Good or Evil spells. There's SR against it but that's not the same at all.

Well, it's even easier for your party to be Good-aligned or Evil-aligned, right? Having a saving throw on this spell would just be weird after all.

And to continue my trend of suggesting higher versions of things you've already done, will you make a Mahamaon/Mamudoon or Die For Me!/Samsara? I guess for Mahamaon and Mamudoon you could just increase the number of targets, and for Die For Me!/Samsara just increase the success rate on top of that.

I've...never heard of Samsara before. :smallconfused:

Sure, I can put Mamudoon and Mahamaon in. It wouldn't take but a few minutes, but I'm not really in the mood right now. I'll deal with it tomorrow, maybe.

Vauron
2012-01-30, 09:19 PM
Samsara is the unique skill for Daisoujou, and its the expel version of Alice's Die for Me!.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-30, 09:25 PM
Samsara is the unique skill for Daisoujou, and its the expel version of Alice's Die for Me!.

Daisoujou has a unique skill, huh? Might have to actually level him then. His skills, I remember, were pretty decent, but I only created him so I could make Trumpeter for Margaret.

A Rainy Knight
2012-01-30, 09:53 PM
Daisoujou has a unique skill, huh? Might have to actually level him then. His skills, I remember, were pretty decent, but I only created him so I could make Trumpeter for Margaret.

As a semi-related aside, Trumpeter learns Debilitate, so he's definitely worth keeping around, too.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-30, 09:57 PM
As a semi-related aside, Trumpeter learns Debilitate, so he's definitely worth keeping around, too.

I spent like 100 grand on making Trumpeter. He's not going anywhere. :smallamused:

I was pretty disappointed when I made him and he didn't already have Debilitate though. Your last post made it sound like once I got him at 67 he'd already have it. :smallsigh:

And I have completed the Fortune Arcana Social Link, as of 5 minutes ago. (I got the bad ending the first time around, so I never got enough time to work on it). So, good times are had by all. Naoto is both a cool character and a strong fighter in battle. (Mahamaon, Mamudoon, and Mudo Boost/Hama Boost? How are the others supposed to keep up again? Not to mention Megidola and Blight)

A Rainy Knight
2012-01-30, 11:00 PM
And I have completed the Fortune Arcana Social Link, as of 5 minutes ago. (I got the bad ending the first time around, so I never got enough time to work on it). So, good times are had by all. Naoto is both a cool character and a strong fighter in battle. (Mahamaon, Mamudoon, and Mudo Boost/Hama Boost? How are the others supposed to keep up again? Not to mention Megidola and Blight)

Eh... don't get me wrong, Naoto's a favorite of mine character-wise and is a real blast to use in battle (COME, SUKUNA-HIKONA!!!), but she never made it into my favorites in terms of power. Her abilities are great in random battles, but she's near-bottom when it comes to fighting bosses, since Hama/Mudo aren't any good there, Megido is really inefficient compared to using elements, and Chie and Kanji are better physical attackers. In terms of beatdown-delivery, Yukiko's my girl. (Also, I went through the Social Links so that she was my girl in another sense.) :smalltongue:

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-30, 11:07 PM
Eh... don't get me wrong, Naoto's a favorite of mine character-wise and is a real blast to use in battle (COME, SUKUNA-HIKONA!!!), but she never made it into my favorites in terms of power. Her abilities are great in random battles, but she's near-bottom when it comes to fighting bosses, since Hama/Mudo aren't any good there, Megido is really inefficient compared to using elements, and Chie and Kanji are better physical attackers. In terms of beatdown-delivery, Yukiko's my girl. (Also, I went through the Social Links so that she was my girl in another sense.) :smalltongue:

True, but I don't need Naoto when I'm fighting bosses anyway, since I tend to over-level and MC/Yu is usually dealing plenty of damage on his own. I just beat the boss that appears in November (not going into any other details due to spoilers) and the whole time, Naoto did nothing but shoot her gun at him and use items. (Meanwhile, MC was really enjoying the Mind Charge/Whatever the World Was Enhancing-Dyne combos)

It's kind of a real waste that Naoto has Mind Charge though. Unless it enhances the accuracy of Hamaon and Mudoon? Otherwise it's just good for using Megidola.

Edit: By the way, "Come, Sukuna-Hikona!" is alright, but nothing is better than Yosuke shouting "GO! SUSANO-O!", at least, in my opinion. Just too bad there aren't that many Wind-weak enemies in the game. I keep running into Ice-weak and Elec-weak though.

A Rainy Knight
2012-01-30, 11:17 PM
It's kind of a real waste that Naoto has Mind Charge though. Unless it enhances the accuracy of Hamaon and Mudoon? Otherwise it's just good for using Megidola.

Edit: By the way, "Come, Sukuna-Hikona!" is alright, but nothing is better than Yosuke shouting "GO! SUSANO-O!", at least, in my opinion. Just too bad there aren't that many Wind-weak enemies in the game. I keep running into Ice-weak and Elec-weak though.

Nope, pretty sure Naoto just has that for pulling a Mind Charge + Megidolaon for those times when you just have too much SP. :smalltongue:

Yosuke's critical shout is pretty good... I guess if I had to pick a favorite, it'd either be "Come, Konohana Sakuya!" or "Crush 'em, Rokuten Maoh!" Heh, it's such a little thing, but I feel like all the little bits of voice and chatter between the team members really livened up the battles for me in that game. I'm not sure I've ever gotten so attached to a cast of characters as the Investigation Team.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-30, 11:32 PM
Nope, pretty sure Naoto just has that for pulling a Mind Charge + Megidolaon for those times when you just have too much SP. :smalltongue:

Yosuke's critical shout is pretty good... I guess if I had to pick a favorite, it'd either be "Come, Konohana Sakuya!" or "Crush 'em, Rokuten Maoh!" Heh, it's such a little thing, but I feel like all the little bits of voice and chatter between the team members really livened up the battles for me in that game. I'm not sure I've ever gotten so attached to a cast of characters as the Investigation Team.

Same here, though I think it's hilarious that Yuri Lowenthal (the guy who plays Sasuke Uchiha in the Naruto games) is in the same game where they mispronounce Amaterasu so horribly. (That's one reason I just can't use Yukiko)

I have to say, though, even though I like all of the characters on the Investigation Team, they wouldn't have beat Persona 3's team without Teddie. Teddie is just...too awesome for words. He cements the Investigation Team as my favorite cast of characters.

A Rainy Knight
2012-01-31, 04:09 PM
Same here, though I think it's hilarious that Yuri Lowenthal (the guy who plays Sasuke Uchiha in the Naruto games) is in the same game where they mispronounce Amaterasu so horribly. (That's one reason I just can't use Yukiko)

I have to say, though, even though I like all of the characters on the Investigation Team, they wouldn't have beat Persona 3's team without Teddie. Teddie is just...too awesome for words. He cements the Investigation Team as my favorite cast of characters.

For me, I think it was that the Investigation Team had a lot more fun scenes together than the P3 cast. Sure, they had Operation Babe Hunt and the hot springs hijinks, but those'll never compare to the camping trip from hell or the King's Game in my eyes. :smalltongue:

Also, to add a little bit of stuff on topic, how do these seem as possible spells?

Foul Breath
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 1, Clr 1, Bard 1

You weaken one creature with a vile miasma, increasing its susceptibility to other effects. The creature takes a -1/2 CL penalty to all saving throws for the duration of the spell (minimum -1). This effect does not stack with itself.

Stagnant Air
Transmutation
Target: All creatures within range, including the caster

This spell functions just as foul breath except as noted above.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-31, 04:29 PM
Those are perfect. Adding them to the OP, with credit of course.

So, whose embarrassing dungeon was your favorite? For me...
I liked Kanji's the best. It was funny how Yosuke reacted (and messed with him thereafter) and how the game danced around the whole issue with the characters indirectly referring to it but still feeling too uncomfortable to actually vocalize it.

Rise's was the worst, in my opinion. The problem I had with hers was, unlike the rest of the cast, Rise never really addressed her shadow's "issues". She said "You are a part of me" and "I was trying to run away from myself", but she didn't say things like "I've always had an exhibitionist side" or "I have this secret desire for everyone to just see me", you know what I mean?

Like, Kanji talked about how girls were tough to talk to, Yosuke admitted that when he came to town he had a hard time fitting in and kept being bored, Yukiko admitted she always felt trapped by the inn, Chie confessed how she felt inferior to Yukiko and Naoto admitted that her problems stemmed from poor self-esteem and that she was tired of living the double life of a responsible detective in a child's body. But Rise...her confrontation of her shadow just seemed so vague and meaningless.

A Rainy Knight
2012-01-31, 04:40 PM
Those are perfect. Adding them to the OP, with credit of course.

So, whose embarrassing dungeon was your favorite? For me...
I liked Kanji's the best. It was funny how Yosuke reacted (and messed with him thereafter) and how the game danced around the whole issue with the characters indirectly referring to it but still feeling too uncomfortable to actually vocalize it.

Rise's was the worst, in my opinion. The problem I had with hers was, unlike the rest of the cast, Rise never really addressed her shadow's "issues". She said "You are a part of me" and "I was trying to run away from myself", but she didn't say things like "I've always had an exhibitionist side" or "I have this secret desire for everyone to just see me", you know what I mean?

Like, Kanji talked about how girls were tough to talk to, Yosuke admitted that when he came to town he had a hard time fitting in and kept being bored, Yukiko admitted she always felt trapped by the inn, Chie confessed how she felt inferior to Yukiko and Naoto admitted that her problems stemmed from poor self-esteem and that she was tired of living the double life of a responsible detective in a child's body. But Rise...her confrontation of her shadow just seemed so vague and meaningless.

Kanji's was my favorite too, particularly when I read someone else's interpretation of his shadow and suddenly got a new perspective on him - it's easy to write him off as "gay teen coming to terms with himself," but everything about his shadow up to the very end is more reflective of how other people view him than how he really is. People initially see him as a "tough guy" and fit him in that stereotype, and when they learn about his un-manly interests, they just shift him into the "gay guy" stereotype, but the whole point is that he's his own unique individual who doesn't have to fit into either of those slots - something that gets driven home by how Shadow Kanji appears as a blend between Tough Guy and Nice Guy, and how Kanji himself mentions something along the lines of 'it was never about chicks or dudes, he just wanted to be accepted.' That said, it also strikes me as frickin' genius that they played up his ambiguous sexuality by making the only person he ever shows much affection towards the other gender-ambiguous sexual-commentary character.

And yeah, I'd agree that Rise's confrontation with her shadow was pretty disappointing, although that was mainly because it was just the buildup to Teddie's shadow, who's a lot more interesting. I read it as Teddie's shadow playing off of Teddie's literal "hollowness" by suggesting that nothing has any meaning since truth doesn't exist. And after defeating him, Teddie grows his human body and becomes "whole," if I remember correctly. Damn, I could spend all day analyzing the symbolism in this game. :smalltongue:

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-18, 05:41 PM
Shadow Yosuke has inspired me to update with power charge and mind charge. "What an eyesore!"