PDA

View Full Version : The Luminescent, a 'divine' rogue (3.5, peach)

eftexar
2012-01-13, 11:27 PM
Luminescent (3.5)

Abilities: Wisdom and dexterity are the most important scores. The first sets the DCs of spells, while the second is important to any rogue build. Intelligence helps with skill points and charisma helps with turning. Constitution and strength also lend to battle well.

Organization: -

Alignment: Must not be evil.

Religion: -

Background: -

Races: -

Other Classes: -

Role: A luminescent is a mix between a rogue and a cleric. She can heal others and at the same time can sneak around, often in broad daylight.

Class Features

Hit Die: d6

Starting Gold: As Rogue

Skills: Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (planes) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Int*), and Use Rope (Dex).
*b/c it makes more sense

Skill Points: 6 + Int mod (x 4 at first level)

{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special
1st | +0 | +0 | +2 | +2 | Turn Undead, Flare, Trapfinding, Blinding Assault +1d6
2nd | +1 | +0 | +3 | +3 | Radiant Divina, Evasion
3rd | +2 | +1 | +3 | +3 | Light
4th | +3 | +1 | +4 | +4 | Uncanny Dodge
5th | +3 | +1 | +4 | +4 | Blinding Assault +2d6
6th | +4 | +2 | +5 | +5 | Starbright
7th | +5 | +2 | +5 | +5 | Daylight, Flare (At Will)
8th | +6/+1 | +2 | +6 | +6 | Improved Evasion
9th | +6/+1 | +3 | +6 | +6 | Angel Feathers, Blinding Assault +3d6
10th | +7/+2 | +3 | +7 | +7 | Special Ability
11th | +8/+3 | +3 | +7 | +7 | Light (At Will)
12th | +9/+4 | +4 | +8 | +8 | Special Ability
13th | +9/+4 | +4 | +8 | +8 | Blinding Assault +4d6
14th | +10/+5 | +4 | +9 | +9 | Special Ability
15th | +11/+6/+1 | +5 | +9 | +9 | Daylight (At Will)
16th | +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +10 | +10 | Special Ability
17th | +12/+7/+2 | +5 | +10 | +10 | Blinding Assault +5d6
18th | +13/+8/+3 | +6 | +11 | +11 | Special Ability
19th | +14/+9/+4 | +6 | +11 | +11 | Lightbearer
20th | +15/+10/+5 | +6 | +12 | +12 | Special Ability
[/table]

Weapons and Armor Proficiencies: The luminescent is proficient with all simple weapons and all light weapons, but not with any armor or shields.

Class Abilities

Spellcasting
The luminescent casts divine spells from her spell list. She may cast any spell on her list without preparing it ahead of time, as long as she has a wisdom score of 10 + the spell's level. She acquires bonus spells for a high wisdom, although she uses her wisdom score instead of her modifier for this purpose.
In addition to these spells she may choose a single spell, of any level her luminescent class provides, to add to this list at 1st level, 3rd level, and every 4 levels afterward that is either from the bard spell list or that has the light descriptor.
The save for any spell the luminescent casts is a DC of 10 + 1/2 her luminescent level + her wisdom modifier. She does not count as having her spells for the purposes of using magic items or for creating them.
Unlike a cleric she draws her spells from personal inspiration, and as such needn't worship a deity to acquire these spells. At each dawn she recovers her spells per day.

{table=head] |{colsp=5} Spells Per day
Level | 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th
1 | 0* | - | - | - | -
2 | 1 | - | - | - | -
3 | 2 | 0* | - | - | -
4 | 2 | 1 | - | - | -
5 | 3 | 2 | 0* | - | -
6 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | -
7 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | -
8 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 0* | -
9 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 1 | -
10 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | -
11 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 0*
12 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 1
13 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2
14 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2
15 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3
16 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3
17 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3
18 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3
19 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3
20 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4
[/table]
*The luminescent only acquires bonus spells at these levels

Spell Listt

SC = Spell Compendium
ED = Book of Exalted Deeds
PHII = Players Handbook II

1st
Cure Light Wounds, Detect Undead, Sanctuary**, Align Weapon [Good]**, Faerie Fire, Restoration, Lantern Light (ED), Lightfoot (SC), Light of Lunia (SC), and Nimbus of Light (SC).

2nd
Cure Moderate Wounds, Death Knell, Make Whole, Status, Glowing Orb (SC), Close Wounds (SC), Ghost Touch Armor (SC)**, Light of Mercuria (SC), Luminous Armor (ED)**, and Ayailla's Radiant Burst (ED)*.

3rd
Cure Serious Wounds, Searing Light, Sunmantle (ED)**, Wraithstrike (SC), Ghost Touch Weapon (SC)**, Light of Venya (SC), Wall of Light (SC), Sheltered Vitality (SC), Brilliant Emanation (ED)*, and Dimension Hop (PHII)**^.

4th
Cure Critical Wounds, Luminous Armor [Greater] (ED)**, Stars of Arvandar (ED), Healing Spirit (PHII), and Regroup (PHII).

5th
Cure Moderate Wounds [Mass], Disrupting Weapon**, Blistering Radiance (SC), Lucent Lance (SC), and Curtain of Light (ED)*.

*effects not limited to evil creatures
**may only be cast on self or only functions when in your possession
^if you have Tome of Magic, you may replace this with the flicker mystery

tThe luminescent ignores any sacrificial components

Lv1 > Turn Undead:
The luminescent can turn undead, as if she were a good aligned cleric (regardless of her alignment) equal to her luminescent level.

Lv1, 7 > Flare:
The luminescent may use the Flare spell as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to her luminescent level + her charisma modifier.
In addition to its normal effects, on a failed save, the target is blinded for the first round. On a succesful save the target is still dazzled for 1 round.
Flare may be used at will starting at level 7.

Lv1 > Blinding Assault:
If the luminescent strikes a target who she has blinded since the start of her last turn, she deals the extra damage as listed on the first attack she makes against any such target in a round.
This extra damage is considered untyped and is not multiplied on a critical hit. This damage is increased by 50% against targets weak to light and/or that are undead.
Additionally blinding assault counts as sneak attack for qualifying and using class abilities that modify it. However instead of sacrificing die to apply sneak attack effects, she may apply affects whose usual sacrifice total her total blinding assault die.

Lv1 > Trapfinding:
As the rogue ability of the same name.

Lv2 > Radiant Divina:
The luminescent is particularly adept at light magic. When casting any spell with the light descriptor or with light in its name, she casts it as if her caster level were one higher for all purposes.
She may not, however, cast any spell with the darkness descriptor. If she already has a spell(s) with the darkness descriptor, she must trade that spell for a different spell of an equal level.

Lv2, 8 > Evasion and Improved Evasion:

Lv3, 11 > Light:
The luminescent may use the Light spell as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to her luminescent level.
Light may be used at will starting at level 11.

Lv4 > Uncanny Dodge:

Lv6 > Starbright (Su):
Anytime the luminescent casts a spell with the light descriptor or that deals with positive energy, she may choose to also add a blinding effect to her spell. This increases the level of the spell by 1, but only for the purposes of the spell slot it expends.
Any target struck by or within the area of a starbright spell, must make a reflex save or be blinded for 1d4 rounds. If the spell already possessed a reflex save, another one needn't be made.

Lv7, 15 > Daylight:
Anytime the luminescent uses her light spell-like ability, she may expend a turning attempt to instead cast daylight.
Daylight may be used at will starting at level 15, without expending turning attempts.

Lv9 > Angel Feathers (Su):
The luminescent grows large feathered wings, reminiscent of an angels. They grant a fly speed of 60ft, with good maneuverability, and emit light as the light spell. As a standard action the luminescent may suppress or resume this ability.

Lv10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 > Special Ability (Su):
At each indicated level the luminescent also gains a special ability from the following list she does not already benefit from:
Brilliant Strikes (Su)
Any melee weapon weld by the luminescent gives off light as a torch. This ability may be suppressed or resumed as a swift action.
While the weapon is aglow, the luminescent may expend a turn attempt, as a swift action, to convert a melee attack with it into a melee touch attack.

Dancing Lights (Sp)
The luminescent may make a weapon dance as if it had the Dancing property. In order to do so, she must expend a use of turning and the weapon in question must start in her possession.
Unlike the normal property, the weapon returns to the luminescent's hand if it hadn't already, at the end of this effect. Activating this ability is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Divine Influence (Su)
Any melee weapon weld by the luminescent becomes good-aligned and deals an extra 1d6 damage against evil targets. This ability may be suppressed or resumed as a swift action.

Light Speed (Su)
The luminescent acquires an extra attack, during a full attack action. This extra attack, and all further attacks during the full attack, are made at a-2 penalty.

Dazzling Display
Anytime the luminscent succeeds on a feint check against an opponent she may choose to forgo its normal benefits, to instead blind the opponent for 1 round.

Hide in Plain Sight (Su)
The luminescent blends in with light. Anytime she is within bright light she may hide in it as if it provided concealment.

Consume Darkness (Su)
Anytime the luminescent dispels or otherwise eliminates a magical darkness effect, she recovers hit points equal to 3 * the effects level (or 1/3 HD of creator if none). She gains any extra hit points as temporary hit points for 1 minute (not stacking).

Expel Darkness (Sp)
The luminescent acquires the ability to extinguish darkness. As a swift action she may attempt to dispel any ongoing darkness effect she is within the area of. Doing so requires an opposed caster level check (with a DC of 10 + their caster level if they are no longer in control).

Inspiration (Su)
The luminescent may expend a turn attempt, as a swift action, to add 1d6 + 1/2 her luminescent level + her charisma modifier points of damage to her attack.

Lv19 > Lightbearer (Su):
The luminescent's light spells have reached their peak. Anyone attempting to dispel or suppress any of her light effects must achieve a caster level check DC of 10 + her luminescent level + her charisma modifier to do so.
In addition she may forcefully cast any spell with the light descriptor during an effect that suppresses her use of magic, with a successful will save (DC of the effect or, if none, 10 + 1/2 the caster's level + the relevant modifier).

Design Notes:

This class is meant to mix the rogue and the cleric. The idea originated from creating a 'flashy' stealth class. Not sure about execution but...

eftexar
2012-01-15, 04:21 PM
*bump*
No thoughts?
I wasn't sure about the execution of the class myself, but didn't think I screwed up that badly. If its broken (or if it isn't) I would like to know why.

Noctis Vigil
2012-01-15, 06:05 PM
If you're going to give them an ability that lets them do extra damage to a blinded foe, you should give them an ability that lets them blind foes regularly, instead of making them burn all their spell slots on flare. It's also supposed to be a bit of a skill monkey, so bump it to 6+Int mod points a level. I'd keep UMD as a Cha skill, by the way; you aren't out-smarting the item, you're making it subject to your will via force of personality. Eviscerate doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me; just make those more damage dice for Blinding Assault and let Blinding Assault count as Sneak Attack for the purpose of qualifying for feats.

A couple of issues exist in the special abilities. 1.) As worded, Dancing Lights could be used on any weapon at any distance, including powerful magical items you know the location of or the weapon in a foe's hand. This needs clarification. 2.) Where is the penalty applied in Light Speed? Just the extra attack? All attacks that round? Is the extra attack at the highest BAB? Please expand on this. 3.) Inspiration is...underwhelming. I'd suggest scaling it somehow. Also, is it 1d6 plus her Cha score or her Cha mod? You don't say.

All in all, a good class; I'd guesstimate maybe high tier 4 or low tier 3. I'd give a more in-depth review, but it would be slanted, as I'm halfway done with my own Rogue/Cleric hybrid. Hope this helps. :smallsmile:

eftexar
2012-01-15, 07:10 PM
Alright, I gave flare as a spell-like ability with its own pool of uses, which later becomes at will.
I bumped up Skill points and changed brilliant assault. Does it work better now? Hopefully its not too dip friendly.
I also clarified dancing lights and light speed, and bumped up inspirations affect.
I sort of like my change to UMD. Using force of personality on an unintelligent (usually) inanimate object doesn't make much sense to me.
I'll be interested at looking at your class and drawing comparisons.
Anyone have any suggestions on what are basically dead levels (3, 7, 11, 15, and 19) though? I'm thinking of something relatively weak or that scales, but is still useful.

Noctis Vigil
2012-01-15, 07:44 PM
Mine is pretty radically different, since I'm basically adding sneaky elements to a Cleric, whereas you're adding divine elements to a Rogue.

As a spell to fill the gap where flare was on the spell list, how about faerie fire off the Druid list? Also, isn't there a 4th level Cleric spell in the Spell Compendium called Orb of Light that creates a permanent light source out of a ball of glass? That would fit the class well too.

As for scaling abilities, since your class is pretty heavily light based, why not give it the spell light as an at-will ability early on? It's not crazy powerful, but it's useful. As you level, it could upgrade to daylight, and you could add other benefits to the created light source too.

eftexar
2012-01-15, 08:07 PM
Added both those spells and the at-will light ability. It was glowing orb, not orb of light for future reference (thought they should have just called it Flashlight).
I also added in the lightbearer ability. Its not level 20 yet, but I guess it is technically the capstone of the class.