PDA

View Full Version : Request: Domains (3.5 WIP PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-14, 02:01 PM
Okay, so this is just gonna be some simple homebrewing for the Domain Wizard variant, along with a few cleric domains tossed in. Nothing extravagant or melodramatic or Seraphi(TM) about it.

Transmuter Domain
0- mending; 1st- animate rope; 2nd- rope trick; 3rd- shrink item; 4th- stone shape; 5th- telekinesis; 6th- control water; 7th- control weather; 8th- iron body; 9th- etherealness

Summoner Domain
0- ghost sound; 1st- summon monster I; 2nd- summon monster II; 3rd- summon monster III; 4th- summon monster IV; 5th- summon monster V; 6th- summon monster VI; 7th- summon monster VII; 8th- summon monster VIII; 9th- summon monster IX

Wall Domain
0- open/close; 1st- wall of smoke (Spell Compendium); 2nd- wall of gloom (Complete Arcane); 3rd- wind wall; 4th- wall of fire; 5th- wall of force; 6th- wall of iron; 7th- wall of eyes (Book of Vile Darkness); 8th- prismatic wall; 9th- wall of greater dispel magic (Underdark)

Decay Domain (I know the request was for utility, but I couldn't resist)
0- detect poison; 1st- cobra's breath (As the wu jen spell, Complete Arcane); 2nd- ray of stupidity (Spell Compendium); 3rd- shivering touch (Frostburn); 4th- mindfrost (Frostburn); 5th- night's caress[/i] (Spell Compendium); 6th- ray of entropy (Spell Compendium); 7th- waves of exhaustion; 8th- horrid wilting; 9th- energy drain

Rejuvenation Domain
0- cure minor wounds; 1st- cure light wounds; 2nd- cure moderate wounds; 3rd- cure serious wounds; 4th- cure critical wounds; 5th- break enchantment; 6th- heal; 7th- greater restoration; 8th- mass cure critical wounds; 9th- mass heal

Creation Domain
0- mending; 1st- unseen servant; 2nd- fog cloud; 3rd- phantom steed; 4th- minor creation; 5th- major creation; 6th- wall of iron; 7th- magnificent mansion; 8th- polymorph any object; 9th- genesis

Teleportation Domain
Domain Power: You gain the Abrupt Jaunt ability. As an immediate action, you may use a spell like ability with an effective spell level equal to half your caster level. When you use the ability, you may teleport anywhere up to 10 feet. You may not bring any creatures with you. You may use this spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1/day)
0- message; 1st- benign transposition (SC); 2nd- dimension hop (PHB II); 3rd- node door (Underdark); 4th- dimension door; 5th- teleport; 6th- translocation trick (Magic of Faerun); 7th- mass teleport (Magic of Faerun); 8th- greater plane shift (SC); 9th- teleportation circle

And now for 3 new divine domains:

(Will come back after consulting with requester)

DonDuckie
2012-01-14, 04:21 PM
Well, I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I'll gladly commnet.

These all seem to be to thematic domains, not overpowered. And there is nothing I would complain to much about.

Polymorph any object seems a little out of place for the Creation domain.

They have no domain power. I guess this is due to the target crowd of wizards. To that extent I think some of the spell levels should be changed, all spells appear to be at minimum spell level(for tier 1s). An when granting divine spells to wizards, I'm a great fan of increasing the spell level, or at least choosing less optimal spells.

I don't know mass teleport, but it sounds like it should be at 8th level(I know it's probably not, but the number of passengers, is a great limiter of teleport spells, just opinion).

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-14, 04:25 PM
Well, I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I'll gladly commnet.

These all seem to be to thematic domains, not overpowered. And there is nothing I would complain to much about.

Polymorph any object seems a little out of place for the Creation domain.

They have no domain power. I guess this is due to the target crowd of wizards. To that extent I think some of the spell levels should be changed, all spells appear to be at minimum spell level(for tier 1s). An when granting divine spells to wizards, I'm a great fan of increasing the spell level, or at least choosing less optimal spells.

I don't know mass teleport, but it sounds like it should be at 8th level(I know it's probably not, but the number of passengers, is a great limiter of teleport spells, just opinion).

The domain wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizardVariantDomainWiz ard) does not get domain powers as part of its class feature. They are not true domains, they're basically just extra spells in the spellbook for the wizard and a +1 CL for all those spells (as well as one extra spell slot per level that must contain a domain spell).

Since they're just free spells known, they should be the minimum spell level, otherwise the wizard would just copy the spell in at the normal level from a scroll or something, rather than taking the class feature.

Edit: As for Creation, unfortunately, there is only one SRD (Creation) spell on the Sor/Wiz list at 8th level, and that is incendiary cloud, which definitely doesn't fit with the theme or purpose of the domain. If you know of a non-core (Creation) spell that actually makes an item at 8th level, I'd be happy to replace polymorph any object.

DonDuckie
2012-01-14, 04:36 PM
Since they're just free spells known, they should be the minimum spell level, otherwise the wizard would just copy the spell in at the normal level from a scroll or something, rather than taking the class feature.

This comment depends on whether or not he can prepare domain spells in regular slots.

If he can. Granting him spells otherwise unique to divine casters is something I'm against. Unless it's at increased level.

If the domain spells can only be prepared in domain slots. Then I have no problem with it.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-14, 04:44 PM
This comment depends on whether or not he can prepare domain spells in regular slots.

If he can. Granting him spells otherwise unique to divine casters is something I'm against. Unless it's at increased level.

If the domain spells can only be prepared in domain slots. Then I have no problem with it.

Your opposition is noted. What would you suggest that I put in the 6th-9th spell slots for the Rejuvenation Domain, then?

DonDuckie
2012-01-14, 04:54 PM
Rejuvenation Domain
0- cure minor wounds; 1st- cure light wounds; 2nd- cure moderate wounds; 3rd- remove disease; 4th- cure serious wounds; 5th- break enchantment; 6th- mass cure light wounds 7th- heal; 8th- greater restoration; 9th- mass cure critical wounds

my argument would be he should not compete with a primary healer(never mind healing isn't an optimal munchkin choice:smalltongue:)

EDIT: What is WIP and PEACH?

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-14, 04:59 PM
Rejuvenation Domain
0- cure minor wounds; 1st- cure light wounds; 2nd- cure moderate wounds; 3rd- remove disease; 4th- cure serious wounds; 5th- break enchantment; 6th- mass cure light wounds 7th- heal; 8th- greater restoration; 9th- mass cure critical wounds

my argument would be he should not compete with a primary healer(never mind healing isn't an optimal munchkin choice:smalltongue:)

EDIT: What is WIP and PEACH?

Your argument was that he should not have spells that were otherwise unique to divine casters. The cure spells are not unique to divine casters at all (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/bardSpells.htm).

WIP means "Work In Progress". It refers to the fact that I am not done with the original goal, as I need to finish those three divine domains as well.

PEACH means "Please Evaluate and Critique Honestly" which is what you're doing now. :smallsmile:

Noctis Vigil
2012-01-14, 05:04 PM
Even if these are for a domain Wizard, I would like to request a domain power for your Teleportation Domain, as I would love to give it to a Cleric for a god or goddess of travel/adventure/what-have-you. Even if that power is only "you cast these at +1CL" or something equally simple.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-14, 05:11 PM
Even if these are for a domain Wizard, I would like to request a domain power for your Teleportation Domain, as I would love to give it to a Cleric for a god or goddess of travel/adventure/what-have-you. Even if that power is only "you cast these at +1CL" or something equally simple.

There you go.

DonDuckie
2012-01-14, 05:13 PM
Your argument was that he should not have spells that were otherwise unique to divine casters. The cure spells are not unique to divine casters at all (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/bardSpells.htm).

WIP means "Work In Progress". It refers to the fact that I am not done with the original goal, as I need to finish those three divine domains as well.

PEACH means "Please Evaluate and Critique Honestly" which is what you're doing now. :smallsmile:

Thanks for teaching me that.

It is not just divine spells, it's more "spells not on the sorcerer/wizard list".
I know bards can heal, but giving wizards those spells at the same spell levels would completely undermine a bard's healing, as she is only a half caster, and a backup healer at best, a wizard should not take that away. This is of course group specific, if there is no healer, I have no problem with a wizard filling that role completely.

I am somewhat aware of a belief that wizards can learn bard spells from scrolls, or any spell from an arcane scroll. This interpretation is one that I don't agree with. But that is not something we need to discuss. I only mention it to elaborate where my viewpoints stem from.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-14, 05:18 PM
Thanks for teaching me that.

It is not just divine spells, it's more "spells not on the sorcerer/wizard list".
I know bards can heal, but giving wizards those spells at the same spell levels would completely undermine a bard's healing, as she is only a half caster, and a backup healer at best, a wizard should not take that away. This is of course group specific, if there is no healer, I have no problem with a wizard filling that role completely.

I am somewhat aware of a belief that wizards can learn bard spells from scrolls, or any spell from an arcane scroll. This interpretation is one that I don't agree with. But that is not something we need to discuss. I only mention it to elaborate where my viewpoints stem from.

I personally don't see it as a problem. If the wizard wants to sacrifice the ability to specialize in a school of magic, in order to gain extra spell slots he could otherwise spend on polymorphing, disintegrating or black tentacling, and use them in order to either torch undead or more likely to assist his party members and himself in a completely not battlefield control Tier 1 way, why shouldn't we let him? That option lets the wizard be more of a team player and less of a GOD (of the Treantmonk persuasion).

DonDuckie
2012-01-14, 05:34 PM
I personally don't see it as a problem. If the wizard wants to sacrifice the ability to specialize in a school of magic, in order to gain extra spell slots he could otherwise spend on polymorphing, disintegrating or black tentacling, and use them in order to either torch undead or more likely to assist his party members and himself in a completely not battlefield control Tier 1 way, why shouldn't we let him? That option lets the wizard be more of a team player and less of a GOD (of the Treantmonk persuasion).

That is a good point. Very good, in fact.:smallamused:

But the weakness(tiny as it may be) of the god-wizard is his HP, and he should not be allowed to freely craft and cast healing. GOD needs HOOPS.

But as I said(or at least meant), my issue with wizards healing is about group dynamics, for some(perhaps mostly new or heave RP'ing) players, healing is important to them and it's no fun being trumped at what you like to do(RP'ers will deal of course, they love an angle, even one of strife).

But in the end: If nobody gets upset, there is nothing I wouldn't let slide.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-14, 05:38 PM
That is a good point. Very good, in fact.:smallamused:

But the weakness(tiny as it may be) of the god-wizard is his HP, and he should not be allowed to freely craft and cast healing. GOD needs HOOPS.

But as I said(or at least meant), my issue with wizards healing is about group dynamics, for some(perhaps mostly new or heave RP'ing) players, healing is important to them and it's no fun being trumped at what you like to do(RP'ers will deal of course, they love an angle, even one of strife).

But in the end: If nobody gets upset, there is nothing I wouldn't let slide.

You're right, but new and heavy RPing players aren't really the type to use homebrew. :smallwink:

For what it's worth, the Arcane Disciple feat from Complete Divine will already let a wizard grab the Healing Domain and use wands of cure spells. This is just saving him a feat (and the requisite high Wisdom score, if he were going to actually cast them).