PDA

View Full Version : Your party's most epic moments

DarkEricDraven
2012-01-14, 08:00 PM
So, I had the first real, non-practice session of Dungeons and Dragons just minutes ago. In search of our caravan master, me and my party stormed a goblin stronghold. My halfling fell in love. Traps were sprung. Eventually, we came upon three goblins who were imprisoned. They told us that they were disposed of for opposing a false god. We assisted them, and together we made our way to the final chamber of the dungeon were we found two hundred goblins worshiping an actual low level god with the form of a ogre. We fought him. Natch.

During the course of the battle, our two NPC members were killed dead, smashed against the floor by the god, as well as two of the rebel goblins. Our cleric and sorcerer were knocked unconscious, leaving only a bard(me), a rouge, a paladin, and an archer, thanks to the most unlucky rolls ever and the god having used an Enlarge spell to make itself even bigger. However, the battle was taking it's toll on the ogre as well. The rouge, having found her crossbow bolts to be ineffective-get this-walked up to it and punched it in the crotch. Her player rolled so well, she, according to the DM, literally tore open it's, em, "treasures".

Because of this feat, I can think of no better way to honor it's crazy coolness then making a thread about epic roleplaying moments. What made you sit up and yell "Oh my god!" when the dice stopped rolling?

Dr.Epic
2012-01-14, 11:43 PM
Two PCs storming a palace filled with guards and assassinating the queen and three high priestesses.

Daftendirekt
2012-01-14, 11:59 PM
This was in a campaign quite a while ago. My grey elf dread necromancer and the human cleric were both forced into melee range while fighting a red dragon. We were getting burned to a crisp by its breath weapon, and the cleric was going to come heal me. She forgot, however, what I'd told her in AND out of character -- that positive energy hurt me, and negative healed me. So... she cast cure serious wounds on me.

I die instantly.

However, the round before that, the epic happened. I sent my imp familiar to attack the dragon with its 1d3-2 stinger attack, rolled a 20. Hell yeah, roll to confirm! 20. Roll again! 20. Now, I don't know if this is an official rule or not, but in our group if you roll triple natural 20s, whatever you were attacking is killed instantly. So, just before I was healed to death by my teammate, my tiny little demon exploded a red dragon's head.

Best. Character death. Ever.

Pokonic
2012-01-15, 12:18 AM
We where fighting a freakishly powerful gold wrym at half the level we should be fighting. One of the PC's had a portalable hole he bought from a person he knew wanted him dead. As such, he threw the thing into the dragons mouth. The dragon swallowed it, and a few rounds later we figured out what was in it.

A orb of oblitaration .

Poor dragon never thought, in his thousands of years of existance, that he would be killed by a throw-away item from a half-orc with a person who realy, realy hates him.

Jay R
2012-01-15, 12:53 AM
It was an original D&D tourney at a convention in Houston, in 1976. The dungeon designers wanted to include a completely unbeatable monster, to test if people would flee when necessary. So in a 10x20 room, they had a 134-headed hydra. (No that is not a typo. This monster had 134 separate attacks.

We opened the door. The DM described the monster. We closed the door. (We had a very organized party.) At a minute's planning, this occurred.

Fighter: I open the door.
Magic-User1: I cast Web.
Thief: I toss a flask of oil.
Cleric: I throw a flask of oil.
Magic-User2: I throw in a torch.
Fighter: I close the door.

DM: Hmmm.. 1d6 damage to each head. (rolls a 4.)

Fighter: We wait two minutes. I open the door.
Magic-User2: I cast Web.
Thief: I toss a flask of oil.
Cleric: I throw a flask of oil.
Magic-User1: I throw in a torch.
Fighter: I close the door.

DM: (rolls a 3) All the heads are dead. But ... that monster was supposed to be unbeatable!
Thief: Sorry. We loot the room.

So - two 2nd level spells, a few standard supplies, and the 134-hd monster is dead. The plaque for winning that tournament is hanging on my gameroom wall.

[The next year, they had a 134-headed flameproof hydra. We ran.]

-----------------------------------------

In 1979, we're running the tourney - only now it's the new, exciting AD&D. (In fact, the prize was a copy of the new DM Guide, signed by Gygax.)

It was an adventure set in Japan. At one point the party enters a large cavern and sees a Gold Dragon 70 feet up, in full stoop. One party said, "I cast Dispel Magic, and we duck back into the tunnel."

DM: "What for? Dispel Magic doesn't work on dragon breath."

Player: "Look at the Monster Manual. Gold Dragons have no wings."

By the 1E MM, it was true. The dragon fell to its death, and the party nonchalantly strolled in to claim the treasure.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-15, 01:11 AM
Also, being attacked by scores of giant owls while sailing into enemy lands.

Morghen
2012-01-16, 11:59 AM
HackMaster version of Keep on the Borderlands.

We're breaking out of prison and hence, have no equipment. We bust into a room to find three drow. They've got swords and whatnot, we have none. We outnumbered them and were doing okay, except for one of them who was just busting us up left and right.

Fortunately, that drow rolled a Fumble (Crit fail? Natural 1? Whatever.) and the dice resulted in "Drop your weapon". One of the fighters nearest her told the GM that he was going to try to grab the sword out of the air. Dex check at negative? Yup. Sword caught.

Next action? "Called shot. Head."

And of course he critted and killed her dead with one stroke of her own sword.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-16, 12:42 PM
My barbarian killed a giant spider all by himself thanks to some very lucky die rolls.

Ingus
2012-01-16, 02:13 PM
...awesome story...

Teach me, oh Master.

That said, in order of epicness...

My CR17 encounter, against a heavily optimized 24th level party. Obviously they lose initiative. Big Bad Gish charges in for 6 attacks, 120 damages medium: natural 1.
UberMage's next, casts a lot of great spells. All monsters do the save.
UberMage2's next, as before.
Big Mean Green Thing's next, another great natural 1.
Then the monsters... 20, 19, 20, 20, 18, 11, 20.
No harm to no-one, but for the first time since long, one of them ended with less than 50 hp.

The most badass wizard ever. In a april's fool TPK scenario, all the party was down except for my wiz 15 (less than optimized). Alone, he manages to defeat four CR 18. Then, a CR 19 which, dying, threw in a CR 26 (it was a TPK scenario, by the way) and... he killed it.

Level 6 fighter in a warrior tournment. He managed to arrive at the final, against a level 14 or so frenzied berserker. Defeat by: surrender, kill, drop weapon. Berserker rage, frenzy and charge. Natural 1. Reflex to keep weapon: 2.
Ilarity ensues

However, the round before that, the epic happened. I sent my imp familiar to attack the dragon with its 1d3-2 stinger attack, rolled a 20. Hell yeah, roll to confirm! 20. Roll again! 20. Now, I don't know if this is an official rule or not, but in our group if you roll triple natural 20s, whatever you were attacking is killed instantly. So, just before I was healed to death by my teammate, my tiny little demon exploded a red dragon's head.

Best. Character death. Ever.

It is a homebrew, I think. We used it too.
Just until our party killed a 15th level Cyric cleric by level 9.
And short after, Cyric himself (obviously, we all agreed that the shot only scratched him... and obviously this rule was never applied again).

Binks
2012-01-16, 09:30 PM
Party is told to go steal some supplies from an Imperial base to help the Rebellion. Party has an Imperial Officer's uniform from an unrelated event. Party strolls in the front door, meets with the lieutenant, and 'requisitions' the supplies. Party gets the stormtroopers to help load the gear on their ship. Party gets back to the Rebel leader without a scratch on them, with all the supplies, and with a very amusing story to tell.

Our dice were on fire that night and the GM kept just looking at us incredulously as we overcame every objection. 'You need orders', slicer forges some with an 18 on the roll. 'You can't move them all yourselves', face crits a check to get the stormies to help load. 'Stormies saw an A-Wing', 'It's for spec ops' nat 20 bluff.

Traveler
2012-01-16, 11:08 PM
Short version of on that happened just the other night.
We were stealing a githyanki flying ship. The main spell slinger that was guarding the ship was enchanting magic arrows. When my fighter dropped his sword, he grabbed one of the arrows and killed her with it in one blow, and thanks to greater cleave, took out her four guards with a second blow.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-17, 05:56 AM
Short version of on that happened just the other night.
We were stealing a githyanki flying ship. The main spell slinger that was guarding the ship was enchanting magic arrows. When my fighter dropped his sword, he grabbed one of the arrows and killed her with it in one blow, and thanks to greater cleave, took out her four guards with a second blow.

LOL...he stabbed the one arrow through five people in a single swing :smallbiggrin:

Kol Korran
2012-01-17, 09:02 AM
in the campaign i DMed and ended a little while ago there was one campaign defining battle:

the party were under siege by a bone knight and a strange army (won't get into that) they had the help of some half giants and the like, but they were the top guns.

they were level 6 (4 characters)

the bone knight level 12 (10 levels of clerical casting)

the party met the bone knight befiore, and ran, but after a few days of siege, he led one of the attacks over one of the bridges that were guarding the small settlement. the bridges had sort of psychic barriers that would not matter to the bone knight, but stopped the rest of his army. the army focused on methodically bringing these shields down.

now... from the DM's planning view, this was supposed to be another "oh S**T! him again! run!" and some shields fall down. but the party decided to try and fight him.

they fought some...

and more... all help already diead on both sides, and they were both throwing in all they've got! action economy was on the party's side, but sheer power was on his.

"do we go on?" they asked mroe than one. and they did, over and over again. characters fell and the clerci brought them back, her healing powers keeping the main melee guy (half giant psiwar) standing despite the odds.

when the bone knight withdrew to buff up again (lucky dispel magic by the group) and they tried to heal/ buff with the last of their spells, scrolls and potions, leaving nearly nothing to fall back on.

he was beyond the shields, (which blocked them as well) and obviously still had enough spells. if he'll buff up again he'll become nearly unhittable! so they came to a desperate decision:

"bring down the shields!" i thought i heard wrong... "bring down the shields!". "you know if you do that it will take a long time to get them up again, right?"
"we do... we're taking him out!"

and suddenly the shields were down, and the half giant charged and hit the surprised bone knight hard!

i then reevaluted things- he was close to defeat! flying escape! (potion)as he tried to run away suddenly the duskblade reminded the half giant (with extension) a tactic we haven't used yet in our games- "grab him". bloody hell those extended half giants have nice grapple modifiers!

the bone knight was grabbed as the party joined in to bash it. then it managed to escape, but one massive critical Attack of Opportunity later, and he was dead!

the battle took over 25 rounds (we stopped counting then). it lasted most of the session, and it totally, utterly, completly changed the campaign (the bone knight was second in command to Team Evil and was supposed to come back a few times in the future) and it was bloody awesome!

everyone down to their 1-15 hp, maybe 2-3 spells of 1st level left for the casters, potions gone, scrolls nearly gone... luckily though- 12th level characters have some nice loot!

there were otehr epic moments, but i think this was the most memorable.

Socratov
2012-01-17, 11:23 AM
I have psoted them before, but seeïng asthey were quite funny or truly epic (at lvl 6) ill tell them again:

1) my party steals a ship in the harbour (no worries I had a Bucchaneer's licence), we sail to the pirate island, we trick the pirates in thinking the gold they were suppsoed to get wasn't coming because the people paying stopped paying (while my party took the 50000 gp for ourselves to pimp our gear), we riled the priates up to start pillaging and looting.

this is where the epicness starts...

the navy shows up to teach those pesky pirates a lesson. I have a cohort who is as good as sailing as I am, and together we sail this caraval through the hurricane our stormlord has created liek it was a slight breeze. then we proceed to beat 2 triremes and 2 caravals with 3 caravals by using vortex of teeth (leaving one of the ships in prisitine condition) and crippeling the rest into us taking it over and looting it.

Day two we encounter a lot more big ships form the navy and they even have wizards. Cue the action i did last night: i wetn to the pub, found an old sailor, asked him to sail my newly aquired ship besides me in the naval battle. apparently this sailor was old, VERY experienced, and Insanely lucky. his crew shot with 3 bombards, 1st he shoots the powder compartment of the enemy flagship, crits, they sunk the battleship (litterally). next shot they again target a large ship, again they hit the powder room, again crit, they sink the ship. That's all of the mages gone before they could act. 3rd shot damages the 3rd big ship. Our stormlord calls some lightning, and creates a hurricane, enemy ships are prone/helpless. Effortlessly i sail by, (my character was Captain Jack Sparrow) enters the enemy ship by rope, lands, quickdraws (surprise round) 2 rapiers, dual crits -> enemy captain dies instantly. I then proceed to intimidat the crew and completely foil the roll. The DM looks at me and says: Not only did 1 ship blow up 2 ships under your command, but you swing by, and turn their captain into shish kebap. they are crapping rainbows and yell parlay one after another, surrendering to you. congratulations, you have a new crew.

and that, kids, is how you destroy a navy with a few pirates.

another is in an undead ancient egypt themed campaign. we were 4 (the 5th players was out, but that didn't matter that much). 2 of us were dead and y character (archivist) is in the possession of the book of life and book of death (some sort of necronomicon, but then ancient egyptian). cue me and the Pharaoh of the setting (another player, necropolitan DN). we want our 2 friends back who were sadly destroyed by clerics. One of our friends is a sandshaper, the other is a cleric. I start the ritual to 'revive' them. **** gets hard between rooling knowledge religion, knowlegde arcana, spellcraft and concentration against (very) steep DC's (i rolled really well, averaging well above 12, losing only a few rolls). the concept for my character was a changeling necropolitan archivist. i could seem alive (although I really was udnead, but people get uneasy when they see udnead, so i pretended to be alive) to do my job as lawyer. during the ritual my friend's souls were judged by their actions (the feather, Osiris' tribunal, etc.). While I am casting my ass off, the pharaoh (really well roleplayed into an arrogant a-hole) suddenly realises i need help and that my character was busy with **** he didn't understand. he takes the books, flips the pages as I order (rare moment where he wouldnt fry me alive for doing that) and the ritual goes well... Until... one of the players has some problems with returning. both my friends are called to tribuunal, and so are the pharaoh and me. the Pharaoh is extremely careful in his dealings in the courtroom and stumbles a bit. The it is up to me to rescue my friend (the cleric passed for beïng devout), since his heart exactly balanced the feather of truth. I start making a court case, pulling every lawyer trick from the proverbial hollywood book and my friend is saved. this ritual took the whole session (about 3-4 hours) and afterwards everyone was exhausted and exhilarated. We agreed that this was bosslike. Afterwards to keep within theme, we started to build monuments to our respective gods. i beïng an archivist built an university and library dedicated to toth (egyptian god of knowledge) where my character wodl spend his days teaching knowledge (and that was the end to the campaign)

Clawhound
2012-01-18, 10:10 AM
Rogue vs. Rogue. We're both at the edge of a pit.

My badly designed two-weapon rogue gets hit with a blindness spell. Can you say "dead meat?" So could I, so I attacked the rogue next to me to the dismay of the DM. All three attacks hit despite blindness, and one hit critted. Enemy rogue died.

dethkruzer
2012-01-18, 04:30 PM
I guess you could call this kinda epic.
This was in my current campaign, and a friend of mine joined the game for a cameo. I had told him not to make anything broken... He came to me with a dragonborn Halfling Saint with levels in Aposte of peace, and massive DMM Cheese.
I had a few encounters designed, one againts a homebrew monster, another against a Ruin Chanter and a Pair of Ruin elemental, and then a fight with a dozen Caryatid Columns.

The first encounter begins, his aura of Peace thingy had massive DC, monster fails, encounter over... Then the second one, they only met one elemental at first, he stopped it with a forcecage... I was already thinking to myself: "I knew this was gonna happen". Next the other Elemental and the Chanter, he starts by Casting (if i remeber the spell anme correctly) Armageddon, tossing 12 Avorals into play. The encounter took so long because he didn't want the subdued elemental to attack, but in the end the Avoral's Killed the chanter, and I Deus ex Machina'd the elemental to die as well.

Next up would have been the Caryatid Columns, but I outright skipped the encounter for the same reason I killed off the Elemental: he always took at least fifteen minutes to make a turn.

So they then finally get to the big boss battle of the dungeon, and fight a few Iron golems for a few rounds. after they were defeated, more golems, the main boss(a frenzied berserker), and who they believe is the BBEG Appears. He casts End to Strife... TWICE... And the BBEG tries to dispel it, but because he had Spell immunity on, the dispel failed. Realizing how much damage the supposed BBEG took, I just broke down.

After regaining my composure (basically around an hour which just reduced me to a sobbing mess.) I continued the encounter, and in the end, the frenzied berserker, who had taken over 700 damage, exploded, in more ways than one.

The overall encounter was actually pretty epic, and I explained him that he would probably be able to pretty much undo the BBEG if he wanted. -it was Epic, but it really left a bad taste in my mouth, and chancs are that if I DM for him again, he'll have either a lot of limitations, or just giving him a pre-made character.

DrBurr
2012-01-18, 06:37 PM
This one occurred last Friday, the party was attending the wedding between the Cleric's cousin and a Prince of the empire, but a group of Bandits my group had encountered before break in and kidnap the Crown Prince. The group goes after them and the Bandit leader has sent his thugs to handle the party while he takes the Prince to his stronghold.

The battle drones on for a while and there are only a couple thugs left and the ranger and fighter are both trying to kill this one thug. Now the barbarian has a habit of collecting wagon wheels. He decides he's going to chuck the wheel at that thug. I tell him to roll, and he crits and does max damage of 11. The thug only had 10HP left, so that thug just got killed by a wheel.

Quarion Nailo
2012-01-18, 10:12 PM
Playing RHoD, at the entrance to the BBEG's lair. Pretty much narrow walkways and hug chasms up until the entrance. We ambush a dragonspawn patrol but get ambushed by a dragon. Our party paladin (our only true melee class) is MIA (didn't show up this session) so my rogue/fighter/spymaster (who specializes in carrying scrolls and potions of everything along with an insane bluff/disguise/umd ) takes up the job. He polymorphs into a 9-headed hydra, quaffs around 5 potions including resistance to acid, fly, and haste, and takes on a dragon.

Meanwhile, our party's sorcerer is out of spells, so he has his wizard cohort cast summon monster III. For some reason unbeknownst to us he selects 1d4 celestial bison. Rolls a 4. We have no idea why: they have decent health but ****ty attacks and AC and will get quickly slaughtered by the dragonspawn.

While we're all debating the possibility of a stampede, he orders the bison to grapple the dragonspawn! Being large with high strength, we now have 4 pinned dragonspawn. Then the clincher:

"They roll off the cliff!"

We were laughing about it for months later.

Hunter Noventa
2012-01-20, 03:36 PM
Well, after rescuing our country's Queen at the behest of the Princess (The Royal Airship had been shot down in the frozen north), we found out that the evil leader of another country was going to have the Princess ascend to the throne so that he could basically annex our country. We enlist the help of the royal eagle-riding airforce once we get back, and free the country's force of paladins that had been imprisoned in order to storm the chapel and stop the ceremony. (It was indeed a magical thing to ascend the throne).

So forces loyal to the general who was colluding with the enemy leader surrounded the chapel. Most of our party formed a phalanx to escort the Queen in, whilst the eagle-riders engaged the cavalry. Except for the eagle-rider carrying my character. We needed someone in there fast, being the heavy armored fighter and the most intimidating sixteen-year old girl in the country, it was decided that well, we'd have one of the giant eagle throw me into the chapel.

After a brief and spectacular melee against the few guards within the chapel, until they were distracted by the rest of the party arriving, I found myself face-to-face with the traitorous general. A paladin twice the level of my character, intended to be a challenge for the whole party. but because my DM doesn't fudge die rolls, I was able to kill him. he struck first, woundig me with his greataxe, at which I just grinned and proceeded to lay into him with my twin dwarven waraxes. All of my attacks hit, but most importantly, one of them was a critical hit. At that point I had enough damage bonuses to break the massive damage threshold...at which point the DM rolled a natural 1, and the paladin fell over, cleaved in twain by my character who had previously announced herself with the phrase. "I am Saya Saeron, the Axe that cleaves evil!"

The rest of the combat was over in moments.

RandomNPC
2012-01-20, 06:29 PM
World of Darkness.
Vincent, ex-military, lots of money, built an armored van, and built a weapons locker inside it.
Father Douglas. high ranking priest, prefers the sword but has spent some time learning at the firing range. Doesn't want to kill anyone.

So the party Tech is driving the van, Vincent is in full riot gear firing out the back at three cars chasing them. Father Douglas is crouched next to him, firing at the cars tires. Vincents van takes a hit and dings the armor, he grabs the assault rifle and goes full auto, only managing to take out the windshield, and barely hitting the driver. Father Douglas pulls out a can of spaghetti-o's he kept from earlier in the day and whips it at the driver, knocking him out.

Father Douglas has one regret, not saying "Uht Oh!" before throwing the can.

Vincent goes to the crafters of the organization he's working with and have them build... basically the rock-it-launcher from fallout 3, built to fire cans of spaghetti-o's. Thinking of him, they made it fire at non-lethal force, until he asks it to forgive him, then the barrel extends and the force increases for the next shot.

The local law hunted them down from all the camera phone you-tube videos, and after the groups employer pulled some strings and explained the mission all one officer wanted was a picture with "The Spaghetti-o's Priest" before they left.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-21, 12:10 AM
This one occurred last Friday, the party was attending the wedding between the Cleric's cousin and a Prince of the empire, but a group of Bandits my group had encountered before break in and kidnap the Crown Prince. The group goes after them and the Bandit leader has sent his thugs to handle the party while he takes the Prince to his stronghold.

The battle drones on for a while and there are only a couple thugs left and the ranger and fighter are both trying to kill this one thug. Now the barbarian has a habit of collecting wagon wheels. He decides he's going to chuck the wheel at that thug. I tell him to roll, and he crits and does max damage of 11. The thug only had 10HP left, so that thug just got killed by a wheel.

"Pick up a WHEEL gun!"

It's a "Counterstrike For Kids" reference, but I'm not sure I can link to that.

Well, after rescuing our country's Queen at the behest of the Princess (The Royal Airship had been shot down in the frozen north), we found out that the evil leader of another country was going to have the Princess ascend to the throne so that he could basically annex our country. We enlist the help of the royal eagle-riding airforce once we get back, and free the country's force of paladins that had been imprisoned in order to storm the chapel and stop the ceremony. ...

I so want to join your campaign now.

Otacon17
2012-01-21, 02:36 AM
I'm currently running a Pathfinder campaign with two players, a Gunslinger and a Ninja. The Gunslinger's backstory is that several years ago, his town was raided by a tribe of orcs and his wife was kidnapped during the attack. He's been trying to track down these orcs ever since. The town the players are in has a violent orc gang living in the slums, and the Gunslinger has reason to believe that this gang is made up of the remnants of the tribe that took his wife. He finds their main base, which I tell him is fairly small and run-down (being that it's in the slums and all), but obviously pretty packed with orcs. He decides to risk charging in anyway, and walks up to the two orcs guarding the door, pulls his gun out, and fires at one of them.

Nat 1. The gun misfires.

Me: There's a loud popping noise rather than the usual bang, and the orc you were aiming at remains unharmed. He merely blinks at you and asks, "What that noise?"
Gunslinger: That... that was my war noise! I can use this device to make many great noises, to strike fear into the hearts of my foes.
Me: The orcs look at each other, then back to you. One says, "That pretty great war noise. Loud so lots of enemies hear. How it work?"
Gunslinger: If you bring me to your leader, I will teach him the secrets of my war noise. Go and tell him. I'm sure he'll want to see me.

The orcs allow him (and the Ninja) inside, taking them to a room that contains the orc leader (a Fighter/Barbarian), his lieutenant (a Cleric of Gruumsh, god of war), and several guards. The Gunslinger starts talking to the leader, asking where the orcs came from before they got to the city. It gradually becomes obvious that these are, in fact, the same orcs who kidnapped the Gunslinger's wife years ago. When he questions the leader as to what they did with hostages, the leader says they were basically used as slaves until they either died or escaped. Upon hearing some of the things his wife likely had to suffer through, the Gunslinger snaps.

Gunslinger: Alright. I'm pulling out my gun and doing a called shot on the leader's leg.

He rolls a nat 20. Confirms. He does a total of 51 damage. I look up the called shot rules, and it turns out that if a called shot to a limb deals at least 50 damage AND takes off at least half of the target's hit points, the limb is severed. So I check the leader's HP... 102.

Me: The bullet tears through his leg with incredible force, blowing it completely off. He falls to the floor, bleeding profusely and screaming in agony.
Gunslinger: WHERE IS MY WIFE?

The next turn, he shot one of the guards, then pressed the hot barrel against the leader's stump to cauterize it (it's one of the Gunslinger deeds) so that he wouldn't bleed to death before the Gunslinger could get any information from him. He spent the rest of the fight interrogating him while the Ninja cut down the rest of the orcs in the room.

Lycan 01
2012-01-21, 03:22 AM
Two questions.

1- There are guns and gunslingers in Pathfinder? :smallconfused:

2- Did he find out where his wife was? :smalleek:

Otacon17
2012-01-21, 03:31 AM
Two questions.

1- There are guns and gunslingers in Pathfinder? :smallconfused:

2- Did he find out where his wife was? :smalleek:

1. As of Ultimate Combat, yes. They're pretty cool, too, from what I've seen :smallsmile:

2. Not exactly. The orc leader had absolutely no idea who he was (it was sort of a "But For Me It Was Tuesday" situation). However, while searching the compound, he found her diary. The last entry (dated several months prior) revealed that she was going to attempt escape. He didn't know what had happened to her for a few sessions afterwards, but at the very end of the last session he found her living in the forest with a group of druids.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-21, 03:32 AM
A third question--have I seen a heavily abridged version of this story recently? The cautery and interrogation while ninja holds off enemies sounds familiar.

2. Not exactly. The orc leader had absolutely no idea who he was (it was sort of a "But For Me It Was Tuesday" situation). However, while searching the compound, he found her diary. The last entry (dated several months prior) revealed that she was going to attempt escape. He didn't know what had happened to her for a few sessions afterwards, but at the very end of the last session he found her living in the forest with a group of druids.

Whew.

Otacon17
2012-01-21, 03:34 AM
A third question--have I seen a heavily abridged version of this story recently? The cautery and interrogation while ninja holds off enemies sounds familiar.

It's entirely possible. I can't exactly remember if I've posted it before, but I wouldn't be surprised if I had.

Tekren
2012-01-21, 01:29 PM
Party of four 4th-level PCs come home to their village to find it has been razed and the populace slaughtered.

The ranger goes forward to scout alone and comes across about a dozen orcs. Ranger takes a shot at one and starts running away while ten orcs throw javelins and one starts blowing on a horn.
The ranger takes to the rooftops, running away from the orcs who have reduced him to 4hp. Meanwhile, the barbarian has been bull strengthed and enlarged, and makes a formidable wall. The ranger sprints past her while she makes attacks of opportunity on those trying to pursue him.(never thought she would get use out of that combat reflexes feat) Her damage output is so high that her max damage is greater than the max health of the orcs.
The ranger stops, spins, and proceeds to arrow the opposition (ranged enemies first).

I had designed this to be a 'run aweh!' encounter, but they managed to kill three dozen orcs and a dozen ogres by using good tactics and terrain. Let me say that again : 4th level PCs.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-21, 04:54 PM
Killing the three dozen orcs was a nice job, but I'm more impressed about the ogres.

Urslingen
2012-01-21, 07:16 PM
Damn, that's some good stories, folks! I've got one of my own:

During a weekend-warrior-game of the Warhammer 40,000 RP Dark Heresy.

We we're stuck in the middle of the the Rebel Camp, full of angry men with high-caliber weponry and crazy haircuts. Our cover was blown, and the sh*t was about to hit the fan. The camp were in the middle of a rust and waste-covered wasteland more grim than dark than a Goth kids' wardrobe - and the rebels are bossed around by nothing less than a Chaos Space Marine wielding a Powerfist and a rather wicked Chainsword.

Luckily for us, we we're sitting in our trusty, alltough badly shot-up, monstertruck/pickup hybrid: Betzzy. My partner, her legs shot to ragged bits, held on for dear life while I went trough with a desperate plan.

Being shot in the stomach and high on all kinds of combat-stimms, I put the pedal to the metal and went for it... I were going to ram that goddamned Space Marine into next Thursday.

The Marine didn't flinch when the car came thundering towards him, he drew back his Power Fist and waited. The truck and Power Fist met head on, me hanging out the car-window shouting "FUUUUUUUUUUUU-" at the top of my lungs.

They connected on an explosion of lightning and twisted bits of metal. The car survived, badly mauled, but so did the Marine. Still shouting like a madman, I kept the pedal pressed against the car floor. The Marine, his Power Fist stuck firmly in the engine block of the car, drew his Chainsword and started sawing his way in towards the drivers seat in a shower of sparks and metal chunks. Just as the saw went into the drivers cabin, me still screaming (not as much in defiance as in a terror-induced adrenalin-rush) like a lunatic, the car hit one of the many mountains of rusted metal junk used as a primitive camp-wall.

My partner flew of the back of the truck in a trail of blood, me going trough the windshield.... and the rest is history :smallbiggrin: .

That was the most epic thing in that have happend in a roleplaying-game for in a long time, at least for me.

Peace Out.

-Urslingen

Lycan 01
2012-01-21, 11:22 PM
The rest is not history, my friend. Were you out of Fate Points? If not, then you or your partner could have survived that, and I wanna know what happened next! :smalltongue:

Lets see, epic moments...

Well, off the top of my head, I have my own Dark Heresy story. In a campaign here on the forums, my party has been basically doing The Shadow Over Innsmouth, but with Tyranids instead of fish-people.

At one point, our techpriest got grappled by a Lictor. In a moment of glorious self-sacrifice, he overloaded his potentia coil - basically a tesla coil all Techpriests have built into their bodies. The result? He exploded in a massive violent explosion of built-up electricity, evaporating himself, and the Lictor. The Lictor was supposed to be a boss battle/possible TPK. :smalleek: :smallbiggrin:

My scrawny little adept has had his own share of moments in that campaign, like driving a van through an angry mob of Genestealer-Hybrids, turning around, and running over the survivors. Later on, with this same van (later named the Deus Ex Machina), he ran over a Genestealer. When the Stealer crawled up onto the hood, my Adept simply drew his plasma pistol, blew its face off, and just kept driving. :smallcool:

And then there was the Chaos-Infused Patriarch. Instead of a typical Genestealer Patriarch, it was basically a Lovecraftian abomination modeled after a Dark Young. We were supposed to run. Instead, we and went balls-to-the-wall and tried to kill it. It had over 300 HP and massive damage reduction. Only the Battle Sister's Eviscerator and the Blank Assassin's power weapon could penetrate, if they rolled lucky. The Guardsman's plasma rifle could do a little bit of damage, if he rolled lucky. My Adept was completely out of ammo, but he was secretly weak psychic known as a Wyrd. Wyrds are regarded as evil/corrupt/tainted, and are typically purged. His superiors knew of his identity, and were okay with it. But the party didn't know, and if any of them - especially the Sister - found out, my Adept may have been executed before he could explain himself.

But the situation was dire. Knowing the Patriarch had a hunger for Psykers, my Adept loudly proclaimed his identity as a Wyrd in an attempt to distract it. He even used a scavenged Force Sword as a conductor for his powers, channeling his feeble abilities into it to make the blade crackle with energy, proving his Wyrdness. Sure enough, it caught the Patriarch's attention. It then began to try to grab/splat him with massive tentacles, ignoring the rest of the Acolytes in favor of the literally useless scholar. So while the rest of the team shot and stabbed away at the unstoppable monster, my guy frantically zig-zagged around the cavern, hoping he'd survive.

A ton of burnt Fate Points and several pages of combat later, the Patriarch fell dead, the Genestealer cult fell apart, and we broke the campaign. :smallbiggrin:

(The Battle Sister has great disdain for my Adept due to his Wyrdness now, but at least she didn't eviscerate him. The Guardsman is neutral on the matter. And after everything they've been through, the Blank Assassin has my Wyrd Adept's back no matter what.)

Geigan
2012-01-22, 02:10 PM
My group rediscovered genetics from books plundered out one of the BBEG's lairs with the help of a descendant of his genetic experiments. We showed the books to the local clerics who helped us go back to that lair(now abandoned), to find the rest of the related materials. The BBEG hadn't even gotten a chance to come back and vacate the place of evidence due to our warlock giving him filth fever through a summoned swarm to recover from.:smallbiggrin: We also introduced our experiment descendant friend to the clerics who were there helping sort out the new science, because his people(the rest of the descendants) had been previously thought to be a myth.

So we essentially made a big discovery and helped a displaced people begin to reintegrate into society. We actually felt like respectable people instead of murderous hobos for once, and that feels pretty epic.:smalltongue:

hayabusa
2012-01-27, 05:59 PM
It was my first group in D&D and within my second year of playing, I believe, when this happened. We were playing 3e and had been hired by a noble to rescue his daughter who had been captured and held for ransom by ogres in his keep.

We decide to split the party (and it actually worked somewhat) with the majority of the team playing a distraction at the main gate while my paladin and another character slip into the fortress through a river entrance.

The distraction involved the halfling rogue laying down inside of the treasure chest supposedly holding the ransom, crossbow in hand. The ogres at the gate who had the group open the chest to inspect the treasure certainly got a surprise... The small strike team that I was part of was spotted by archers and managed to get into a building before the majority of them could be called.

All of us rendezvous inside the building and find the captive woman, who was actually an ogre mage under an illusion... I have to admit, after the plan we had it was a pretty fair ambush... We kill him and rescue the real noblewoman and head back to town.

Terracotta
2012-01-27, 09:29 PM
The most glorious moment for me personally was in a high-powered 8th-9th level campaign in which we, the four-person party, were fighting hordes of encroaching demons and devils.

While venturing through the woods, we were ambushed by three chain devils and two erineyes. My turns went: Divine Power, melee doublecrit, dismissal, another critical hit. An enemy died every single time my turn came around.

'Course, having a keen, holy, evil outsider-bane scimitar helped. We had a very nice DM.

Other awesome things that occurred in this campaign: Our wizard eating the soul of a Tempest Elemental and gaining a homebrewed alternate form. Our dragon shaman successfully impersonating a balor's son when we entered the enemy stronghold, partly by pretending he had captured my character and made me his slave. My last hurrah was talking an erineyes with PC levels into defecting to our side.

Mono Vertigo
2012-01-28, 06:01 AM
An early one. We're playing a Magical Burst game (where the PCs are magical girls a la Puella Magi Madoka Magica). They had never fought a youma (monster) before.
They finally encounter in a Nightmare a youma that's a minion of the main one. It launches a surprise attack on a specific PC.
Precision needed: that PC became a stoic solar knight after losing her sister, also a magical girl, to a youma, and hates all youma-kind with a cold passion. Youma-killing is Serious Business.
So, the youma has an ability that allows it to attack first with a bonus to hit and damage, and attacks the knight girl.
She counter-attacks, and falcon punches the dang thing.

One-hit kill with a normal attack, no enhancement of any kind. She avoided all damage. The minion was supposed to be weak, but not to the point of being killed in a single attack.

RandomNPC
2012-01-28, 10:23 AM
Last Thursday.

Level 4, a sorc, scout, and unarmed swordsage. Heading south with a caravan of kobold craftspeople to build an aqueduct, the part passed a large group of refugees being led by "The Bard" an Ogre, who happens to be known for being the bard of all bards. They mention the hobgoblin raiders they killed a little ways up the road, and The Bard tells them of the Hill Giants with pet Lions he fought off, his left arm is a bit torn up, but he says he's going to heal it tomorrow.

The party says goodbyes, and they take the kobold caravan further south, while The Bard and his group go north, until the groups Scout finds the giants and lions they were told about, being devoured by a few Carrion Crawlers. He goes back to warn the group, and they devise a plan, mostly: fight the monsters.

Combat starts with the Scout and Sorcerer opening up a surprise round on the distracted crawlers. The less damaged one is targeted by the swordsage. He Shadow Jaunts above the crawler, boosts with burning blade, and adds fall damage (He takes it too) to his attack.

That's right, a 4th level whisper gnome swordsage learned how to meteor punch.

SilverSheriff
2012-01-28, 11:50 AM
Mutants and Masterminds. We Killed a Demon infesting Pittsburgh with Drum&Bass (http://youtu.be/tEPB7uzKuh4), also deafened a whole lot of Military Personnel. The music could be heard from Washington, PA.

motoko's ghost
2012-01-28, 12:05 PM
This one was at epic level and involved fighting an aleax, both the aleax and the character in question had managed to summon 3 balors each before flying into the air and duelling with pyroclastic swords before the character cast (i think it was iceburg) directly above it, slamming it to the ground with a 60ft radius slab of ice, now one of the balors had been running really low on hp by this point and the spell also hits it killing it the damage from this kills another balor and so on, balors just exploding like firecrackers. now the player gets seriously injured from the backlash but is celebrating the defeat of their opponent, what they didn't know was that aleaxs cant be hurt by anyone other than the one PC they try to kill, so it just stands up from the red-hot glowing rubble at the bottom of a 100ft crater and glares at the PC, barely injured.

The facial expression was AMAZING!:biggrin:(they still eventually beat it though, it just lasted much longer)

Bagelson
2012-01-28, 07:09 PM
This week's L5R session.

After 12 years of war the Gaijin army besieging the last Fortress Mountain of the Dragon Clan have opened a giant portal to Jigoku (Hell) by way of epic scale human sacrifice and summoned one of their chained gods to literally beat up the mountain. The party climbs through the cracks in the ground leading down to Jigoku and enter the fortress to discuss matters with the Dragon Clan Daimyo over a cup of tea.

We learn that the reason the Gaijin have tens of thousands of soldiers just outside is to capture one of the twelve keys to the prison realm of a substantial number of Gods of Considerable Evil and Destruction, rumoured to be kept by the Dragon Clan. The good news is that the Clan doesn't have the key, though they've fought until there's scarcely three dozen of them left to keep the army tied down. The bad news is that they DO have the crystal prison of the Demon Incarnation of Shadow. More bad news is that our group's magician secretly does have one of these Keys.

When the session ended the magician was heading outside to have a chat with the enraged God-Beast and convince it to join our side of the fight. The warrior (me) was heading along as bodyguard against the Gaijin dragon riders and lesser demons.

If we succeed, we deal a serious blow to the enemy army and tie up their forces for another few years while we unify the nation and drive them back into the sea. If we fail the God-Beast destroys the fortress, unleashes the Shadow and hands the Key to the Gaijin - resulting in the absolute desolation of the nation and the release of the Gaijin God of Destruction.