PDA

View Full Version : Deadlands

Kyberwulf
2012-01-15, 12:23 PM
Help, I have a friend who is interested in Deadlands. We have one book, Deadlands: Reloaded, which from what i can tell is for the Savage World setting?

My questions are this, What is savage world, and is it a good system.

How is the Deadlands d20 system?

I have no experience in either system.

Manateee
2012-01-15, 12:42 PM
Deadlands d20 is terrible. Don't give anyone good money for it, and don't waste your time reading it.

Savage Worlds is a pretty light pulpy system with a focus on miniatures combat. It's not an elegant system, but it's functional and it runs pretty smoothly. You can see the stripped down "Test Drive" provided by its publishers here (http://peginc.com/Downloads/SWEX/TD06.pdf). My main complaints with it beside its inelegance are its maintenance of miniature wargame constructs (such as measuring distance in inches on a warmap) - which sometimes place the metagame pretty far away from the fiction - and its poker-styled trappings - which originate from the original deadlands game, so they're actually appropriate in this case. SW is an easy ruleset though, so if you're only planning to play a couple sessions of Deadlands, I'd recommend Reloaded.

The Original Deadlands game is a bit more complex, and its rules take a bit more time to learn, but they abandon the baggage associated with SW as a miniatures wargame and as a generic system. The original system goes pretty far to flesh out the ingame constructs with metagame equivalents (Hucksters are the best example) and gets the most support from published material (expansions, modules, etc.). If you think you'll want to use Deadlands for more than one story, I'd definitely recommend the original version.