PDA

View Full Version : No Dungeons, Lots of Dragons, Nowhere to Run - IC

Aneurin
2012-01-15, 01:09 PM
This is Dragonspire Peak, famed in myth and legend. In all the world this is the one, the only, place that is truly neutral amongst all those of dragon blood. It is considered entirely off-limits to the lesser beings than swarm throughout the rest of the world. Any that try to violate the rules of Dragonspire Peak are hunted, relentlessly, by every member of every kindred of dragon and obliterated without mercy.

This is the place of the dragons, and it will remain the place of the dragons.

For the first time in history, though, there is a meeting of every clan of dragons and every splinter of the draconic races. It takes place in the heart of the mountain, in a chamber so vast that many dragons believe it is not truly a part of the material plane, but instead resides within the realm of Io, the Ninefold Dragon. This is where you have come.

The view inside the chamber is simply awe inspiring. All around you are examples of every type of dragonkind - Pseudodragons chatter with Faerie Dragons on high up ledges, a group of wyverns are clustered together near the ceiling. Water Drakes, Flame Drakes, Battle Drakes and all the others mingle freely. A group of Dracotaurs mill in the centre of the room, and everywhere you look there are jabbering kobolds. An immense Gold dragon rubs elbows with an equally large Red as they lie just before a raised outcropping that acts as a speaking platform. Spaced evenly around the room, there are Magic Mouth spells, set up to repeat the words of whoever speaks on the platform. Evidently, someone has spent some time preparing for this gathering.

On the platform stand the greatest of each dragon clan. Each of them is known to you in story, song and legend. In the middle is the largest dragon you have ever seen. Its scales are glittering, shimmering, and almost moving in the light, creating a weaving, almost hypnotic pattern. This is Arculos of the Shifting Sun, renowned as the oldest, wisest, and greatest of all dragon kind. Some say that he is the first of all the races, a subject on which Arculos declines to comment.

Dragons have been gathering at Dragonspire Peak for some time, in anticipation of the meeting. The heights of the mountain are covered in small caves, temporary roosts and even a number of constructed and magical dwelling places for smaller creatures. Today the word has gone around that the meeting is about to begin, and all of you head towards the cavern.

As you enter, you are all asked to reduce your size. Even this cavern cannot contain every dragon in their true shape, and despite the neutrality of the place there are some races, such as the kobolds, that may become unsettled by the presence of your true forms. If you are unable to change form, you are offered the benefit of a shapechanging spell cast upon you to turn you into a smaller form for the duration of the meeting. You are not obliged to do this, however, and may retain your normal shape if you prefer.

For whatever reason, you have all settled next to one another. As there are still dragons entering the cavern, it seems as though there is time before the meeting starts.

This is where the story begins.

What you all know:
Three months ago, before you received word of the meeting, a strange glyph appeared in the sky. At first, summoning and conjuration effects became difficult, and those with divine casting found it harder to commune with their deities. As the glyph spread across the sky, summoning spells and interplanar travel became impossible. Clerics could not find their gods and found their powers fading. Then, without apparent explanation, the glyph stopped spreading, and slowly receded over the course of a week. As the glyph faded, conjuration powers began to function once again, and clerics located their gods once again. However, the deities could not or would not explain the mysterious break down. It was shortly after this that the dragons began disappearing and you received word of the meeting.

Everyone received word of the meeting differently; for some it was by messenger, others telepathic message, and others still by Sendings and other magical communication.

candycorn
2012-01-15, 05:07 PM
Ezzerach (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=355962) scratched the back of her neck, at an itch that wouldn't seem to go away. No matter how many times she assumed her alternate form, it never felt natural... It always left her feeling uncomfortable. It left her quite irritable.

What a waste of time. Being brought here to mingle with half breeds. Look at all the half-dragons. Was that one cross bred with a a horse? I know the good dragons shackle themselves to lessers, but that adds new meaning to playing with your food! If the lesser dragons hadn't been invited, there wouldn't be any reason for me to be in this ridiculous form. Still, it has its advantages. I doubt more than a handful here know my true form and color. I, on the other hand, have a bit of an edge.

Ezzerach patted her gem, with satisfaction. One of the few trinkets she carried with her from her lair, she had briefly peered through it here and there, to see the true forms of the creatures around her. Her own form was attractive, by the standards of the pinkskins. Blond hair flowed down her back, ending at her waist, spilling over the white and yellow sun dress that covered her form. Her ice blue eyes flitted from one creature to another, and her expression was one of exasperation. She spoke out, though, to those around her, in an attempt to at least try to seem cordial.

"I do hope this gathering gets started soon, eh? No offense to the great ones up there, but the sooner I can feel the wind beneath my wings, the happier I'll be. I don't suppose any of you have any idea what exactly's going on, do you?"

Mechanics/OOC:Attempting to identify anyone I observe with gem of true seeing, using knowledge (Arcana). I know that I'll know the colors and such, but I'm trying to get names, notable achievements, and the like. With a +42, I should be able to get at least a 43 on any check, allowing me to automatically know useful information on any creature of 33HD or less, and likely those up to 42HD.

Wabbajack
2012-01-15, 05:21 PM
Remaining in his true form Nahatoran looks down on the "woman".
"I do not know what exactly is going on and I too hope we will start soon. I am not comfortable being at a gathering together with many evil kin I once tried to slay. Or those who lost a relative to me. Maybe you are one of those?"

candycorn
2012-01-15, 06:03 PM
Ezzerach let a hint of bemusement creep past the irritation her form was giving her.

"You know the rules. While here, all have sanctuary. There's no reason to be uncomfortable here, unless you fear a stern gaze or harsh words.

Besides, fighting over breed or belief is so juvenile. If there's nothing to be gained, and nothing to be lost, there's no cause for conflict. And if there is something to be gained or lost, then the breed or belief of my foe has precious little to do with the conflict.

I must say, I find it heartening, at least, that you see so many you failed to slay. It warms my heart to know that, should you feel the need to try on me, your success isn't assured.

But I digress. To answer your question, no, you've not tried to slay me, nor have I lost a relative to you, I believe. You may rest easy.

My, it is refreshing to talk with others of my kind. I had almost forgot what a decent conversation was like in my solitude. For that, sir dragon, you have my gratitude."

THEChanger
2012-01-15, 11:43 PM
Anargryos felt no need to shrink in size, as he was already smaller than most of the others at this grand meeting. Despite the cloak that obscured his features, the helm he wore, as well as his obvious parentage, marked his station to most of the metallic dragons in attendance, as well as a great deal of the chromatic ones. Normally, Anargryos would balk to be in the company of those who were so wicked of spirit. But Bahumet had given him a command, and he followed it. Besides, if these lost souls could help him discover what had happened to his mother, so much the better. For now, he would wait. The meeting would begin soon, as the last stragglers entered the cave. And then Anargryos would see what the Platinum had in store for him.
In the meantime, Anargryos searched his mind once more for any information about the Glyph which had stolen his power from him. That had been a terrifying time indeed.
Anargryos starts off every day with a Mind Blank on himself, so that's up.
Also, rolling Know: Religion to see if Anargryos knows anything at all about the Glyph, other than what you've told us.
[roll0]

cutlex
2012-01-16, 12:42 AM
Tanras arrived at the mountain in his form most commonly used for dealing with the lesser, goblinoid races common to his homestead: a one-eyed, half dragon ogre riddled with scars. The form invoked awe from those native to his lands, but Tanras made no pretense to hold the same respect here. His relations with his kind have been less than warm seemingly for centuries; he held little interest in their conflicts of creed and even less in restraining himself from claiming their valuables. However, times are now different. In the midst of Hallowed Ground, he struggled to attune himself to the language of his brethren after many years in the highlands.

"These words sound trite and useless. Something incredible must be taking shape for our presence to be called. I wish it to be spoken soon. Here stinks of the arcane."

candycorn
2012-01-16, 01:33 AM
"Come now, friend dragon. After all, there are many reasons to speak, and it harms nothing to do so. We have many centuries on this planet, and it serves well to pass the time."

DM/OOC:Spells active upon myself:
Mage Armor
Persistent Shield
Persistent Breath Flare
Persistent Scintillating Scales
Persistent Listening Lorecall
Persistent Wings of Air
Persistent Arcane Sight
Persistent Mass Lesser Vigor (self and Bamok Lundgren only)
Persistent Lion's Charge
Persistent Ray Deflection
Persistent Superior Magic Fang
Superior Resistance

Knowledge checks (concerning the glyphs):
History: [roll0] (has this ever happened before? What followed it back then?)

Arcana: [roll1] (what relevant information is there concerning the impeded magic?)

The Planes: [roll2] (are there any planes or planar effects that cause something similar to the glyph or the impeded magic?)

Spellcraft: [roll3] (what can be told about the impeded magic or the glyph?)

Wabbajack
2012-01-16, 01:46 AM
"It stinks of the arcane? But we have the very arcane in our blood, even if it does not show for some of us. And I agree, talking helps to make the waiting seem shorter."

(DM/OOC)

[roll0] Arcane
[roll1] The Planes
[roll2] Religion

About the glyphs.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-01-16, 01:56 AM
Wandering through the crowds of creatures steps a small and venerable looking kobold with a jeweled eye patch. Salazar seems to be wandering the crowd with his head looking up and around for something, although with all the large dragons not in humanoid form, it easily could be mistaken for admiring the other dragons. Every other step he uses a what appears to be a ornate metal rod as a cane. While many kobolds seemed timid and frightened (for obvious reasons) of the dragons not in alternate form, Salazar seems completely nonchalant about them.

He can be heard muttering to himself quietly.
"Where the hell did he go? Like I can trust him to stay out of trouble with all these young whelps everywhere you go. Honestly, did all the kobolds and pseudo dragons need to come? They're just taking up space and air. Maybe they're the snacks for this party...."

He stops and cricks his back, before looking around.
"HAS ANYONE SEEN A BAT IN HERE? OR A BIRD?"

OOC Mechanics
Salazar has a constant non-detection on him. I've read it several times and it doesn't specifically say it blocks true seeing, but it does specifically say that a caster level check is needed for divination spells on him. If that's the case, the gem doesn't have the caster level to overcome the difficulty. If it doesn't apply, i would be happy to describe a change in what he really looks like.

Nondetection
Abjuration
Level: Rgr 4, Sor/Wiz 3, Trickery 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature or object touched
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

The warded creature or object becomes difficult to detect by divination spells such as clairaudience/clairvoyance, locate object, and detect spells. Nondetection also prevents location by such magic items as crystal balls. If a divination is attempted against the warded creature or item, the caster of the divination must succeed on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against a DC of 11 + the caster level of the spellcaster who cast nondetection. If you cast nondetection on yourself or on an item currently in your possession, the DC is 15 + your caster level.

If cast on a creature, nondetection wards the creature’s gear as well as the creature itself.

candycorn
2012-01-16, 03:19 AM
@Cowmaster:As I've seen it, True seeing doesn't affect other creatures. It affects the caster, and alters how the caster sees. It's not like a divination such as Detect Thoughts, or the like, that targets you for information. It's a subtle distinction, but an important one.

It's open for interpretation, but allowing Nondetection/Mindblank to do this will hurt the party far more than it helps it.

cutlex
2012-01-16, 01:55 PM
Tanras pays little attention to the multitude of small, noisy creatures in the area. He mostly focuses on trying not to eye their many, easily-claimed trinkets. Many of the creatures are in alternate forms, and, while not particularly worried about powerful adversaries, Tanras must keep reminding himself that this place is different from home. Bullying would not be tolerated. Even if it were, his foes are in the presence of allies. He glances over the speaking area and wishes that the ceremony would hastily finish without any complications.

Then he remembers. Oh, yes, words.

"I show surprise that a half-blood should have so little awe. The presence of murderers of so many of your kind is not unnerving?

I find little comfort in the presence of my kin. Their bodies litter my lands. The pleasantries they spoke were as hollow as yours. I wish to survive. That serves as my purpose here. "

dspeyer
2012-01-16, 09:01 PM
Unsure what shape or shapes he will want for the meeting, Antwelm casts shapechange. He then turns into a tiny psuedodragon except for his eyes, which he leaves large and metallic. He begins to wander the hall, meeting people and gathering stories. Even after all these years, there are so many he doesn't know.

candycorn
2012-01-16, 09:32 PM
With a smirk, Ezzerach states, "Well, if your tone is meant to further your survival, then I fear you would be killed with kindness. You may wish to take care in this company, however. This isn't the forsaken stretch of land you were spawned on. The only dragons here are those who are capable. Well, those, and the half breeds, at least. Really, just because dragons can breed with almost anything doesn't mean we need to test it. Have a dozen or so, they're useful for scouting anywhere too risky to send offspring... But equals? I have to admit, I'm more than a little amused at the presumption there.

Hollow platitudes and useless dismissals aside, however, I'm interested in knowing why all were summoned here. I suspect it has something to do with the dragons that have gone missing. I can attest to a few blue and brass dragons from my territory, but the nature of the disappearance is unknown to me... and I admit, a little unsettling. Does anyone else have any knowledge that may shed light?"

Iun
2012-01-17, 01:45 PM
Dunatos looks pretty much like any other pseudodragon, plus the few trinkets he is wearing. The only thing peculiar about him is the fact that he isn't keeping with his own brethren but is flying around the cavern, hovering here and there for a while, gathering scraps of random information, until he decides to stop within earshot of this particular conversation. Right now he is hovering right above Ezzerach.

Gather Information: [roll0]
Bardic Knowledge, just to see if there are some bits of information floating around in Dunatos' mind that might come in handy here. [roll1]

Aneurin
2012-01-21, 03:19 PM
The room begins to fall silent. As you look around, you realise that the other dragons have at last ceased filing in. From the assembled Magic Mouths, you hear the sound of a throat being cleared. If you look to the stage you see that Arculos has risen and is stood there, looking out. He goes directly to the point:

"I have grave news for us all. As most of you are aware, some months ago a symbol appeared in the skies over our world, and as it grew some magical powers declined. I can tell you now that this was the symbol of the being known as the Pandorym, the God-Killer. We do not know why the creature awoke at this time, but it was returned to its slumber by a group of humans." The voice ring out in every conceivable language from the Mouths. You can feel a prickle in your minds as if the words are being telepathically communicated as well.

"With its return to dormancy, the Pandorym's influence over this world faded, and the magic returned to normal. It was when the magic returned to normal, that the true crisis began. Dragon-kind is vanishing. One by one, our kinds have begun disappearing. We do not know why. It was after consultation with the Heads of the Clans that I called you all here. We must decide what to do, and how to protect ourselves. We must discover what is becoming of those who vanish, and how we are to retrieve them.

"To this end, I ask you all to go out amongst the humans, to discover if what they know. To find out if it is they who bring this upon us. Dragonspire Peak is to be our fortress in this. It is where I and the Heads of the Clans will reside until this calamity is over, or until it claims us.

"I beg all of you, set aside your differences for this. If we do not resolve this, it may be the death of us all.

"If any of you have information or questions, now is the time for you to ask."

Wabbajack
2012-01-21, 05:13 PM
Nahatoran raises his claw.
"I have a question. Is there a list of the missing individuals?"

CowMasterTrojan
2012-01-21, 05:46 PM
The feeble kobold immediately speaks up upon the request of questions:
"I'm afraid that as always, I have many questions.
Firstly, I have noticed the empty lairs growing in numbers during my travels as well. When I say empty, i mean empty. No skeleton, no scales, no hoard. Since you are the apparent expert on this matter, is this generally the case? Are they all just missing along with any of their possessions, or is there any signs that our kind has been killed?

Secondly, there are plenty here among us who would consider themselves "True Dragons" while the rest of us would be categorized just as lesser beings, such as dragons or dragon-blooded I suppose. Do the cases of those who are missing include all 3 types, or have they been focused at our 'greatest' members, the ones who would call themselves True dragons?

Finally, it has been my experience that the more convenient the coincidence, the more likely there is a correlation. With that in mind, these disappearances take start right after the symbol. To me, that suggests there is a correlation. Do we have any idea how the humans were able to stop the symbol?"

Upon finishing his questions, he removes a silver flask from his pack and take a swig.

Aneurin
2012-01-23, 10:43 AM
"We are at this time compiling a list of the missing. If you are aware of any of our kind who are not with us and cannot be accounted for, I ask that you bring those names to us. The list will be carved on to the walls of the tunnel in to here.

"All we know of the disappearances at the moment is that they are gone. Whether they are alive or not is unknown at this time. Both they and all their possessions vanish from the world, and we have been unable to find them by any means.

"To the best of our knowledge, all who bear dragon blood are vanishing. Even dragonblooded humans have apparently vanished.

"We agree that the humans are the most obvious starting point. We have not had the time to locate them yet, and as such are unable to determine how they defeated the Pandorym. We suspect that they have at least one powerful magic user accompanying them - strong enough to stop our divinations. We are at work seeking a way around their spells, but it may take some time. In the mean time, we are seeking volunteers to locate these humans. If there are any here who would wish to undertake such an expedition, speak now."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-01-23, 12:11 PM
"So be it, consider it spoken then" retorts the old little one. He begins hobbling towards the center.

Iun
2012-01-27, 10:24 AM
Dunatos started flying from group to to group some time around the first question, taking a closer look at each of them. When the call for volunteers comes he stops and now he is hovering in the middle of the cave, watching everyone with great curiosity.

cutlex
2012-01-27, 03:19 PM
Tanras has his suspicions about the involvement of deities and their magic in this course of events, but he had not considered the disappearance of so many dragonkind the result of the intervention of mortals. He would be damned to the Hells before sniveling in his burrow and allowing HUMAN spellcasters to bring his end. They must be found, questioned, and (probably) destroyed.

"I will lend my claw to this task."

THEChanger
2012-01-27, 06:25 PM
"I too will aid this quest. I have spent too long in the Temple of the Platinum. It is time I influenced events, rather than simply observing them."" Anargryos stepped forward, helm still obscuring his face. He did not add that he wished to avenge his mother's disappearence. Arculous would already know Anargryos' reason for coming. The list of vanished dragons included his blessed mother.

candycorn
2012-01-27, 10:38 PM
Ezzerach snorts. "This is what happens when you allow the vermin to breed so much. It's only a matter of time before they muck things up. I suppose, if it must be set right, it would be up to us to do so. Count me in."

Wabbajack
2012-01-28, 12:41 PM
"Even though I am reluctant to work with our evil kin it is apparent that this matter is more important. I vow to use all my strength to see this mission successful."

dspeyer
2012-01-29, 12:00 PM
"I wish to help," Antwelm says, resuming his normal form, "so if this is our best lead, I will follow it."

Aneurin
2012-02-03, 03:01 PM
Arculos looks around the room slowly, noting all the volunteers as other dragons acknowledge their willingness to search. He nods his immense head slowly.

"So be it. We have had numerous sightings and eyewitness reports as to where they may be. We believe the reports to be accurate, or, at least, those who gave us the reports believe them to be accurate. However, they have been sighted in almost every conceivable part of the world which suggests the reports are in error, or their mages are capable of teleportation and use it frequently.

"I thank you all for your willingness to protect our kind. To minimise the risks, I advise you all to travel together, so that if something is found it is more likely that at least one of you will survive to inform us.

"The humans have been sighted in the highlands of Sanscarr to the far north, the icewastes of Fel'mass to the south, the deserts of A'norr'ae to the west, and even in the elf city of Winholme a hundred miles from here.

"As much as I wish to inform you of the location of the Pandorym's resting place, I cannot in good conscience do so. The presence of so many of our kind at its resting place would attract far too much attention if noticed, and for the sake of all it would be better if the Pandorym were forgotten and lost to all the world.

"You may begin your journeys as soon as you are ready, or you may come to see me or one of the other Heads of Clans. Those who are not travelling, I ask that you remain to defend this place, and those with magical skill join myself and the others in attempting to pierce the shroud laid upon the human group."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-02-03, 10:56 PM
Having reached him, and after letting him speak, Salazar tries to have a quiet word with Arculos.

"How much do we know about these Humans? Their past? Names? Appearances? Abilities? Anything?"

To the next volunteer that steps up, the little kobold calmly looks up and casually says in his deep raspy voice:

"Do you have means to teleport yourself? Have you ever been to the highlands of Sanscarr? the icewastes of Fel'mass? or he elf city of Winholme?"

candycorn
2012-02-04, 05:02 AM
Ezzerach looks back at Salazar, bemused. "No on all counts, little one. Besides, it seems to be easy enough to get their attention. The humans came to the aid of their own when great danger arose. All we must do is convince them that great danger has arisen again. Then, they will reveal themselves.

Between a half dozen dragons, that shouldn't be too difficult, right?"

CowMasterTrojan
2012-02-04, 07:25 AM
"Are you serious? We're trying to get the attention of humans powerful enough to stop Pandorym... setting ourselves as monsters that deserve death is a bad idea"

candycorn
2012-02-04, 07:55 AM
Ezzerach's human face contorts into a look of disgust, as she speaks, "Really, now. The humans have one advantage, and that is the same as rabbits and cockroaches. They simply breed, and breed, and sooner or later one stumbles across something that actually lets them pretend at the power that flows through our veins. Their only redeeming virtue is that they craft things pleasing to the eye, and for that, I suffer them to exist in my domain. But I wouldn't trade a the lives of a thousand of those disgusting vermin for one of my sons... And their reckless foolishness has cost me three. For that, there will be a reckoning, and, if I can exact that vengeance whilst seeking the impudent meddling fools that caused this, more the better."

Wabbajack
2012-02-04, 12:18 PM
"And yet the greatest heroes and villains are almost always members of these "lesser" races. What they lack in inherent power they compensate through sheer potential. I agree that should try to get their attention, but not as potential enemies."

candycorn
2012-02-04, 03:19 PM
"Please, throw a million darts, and a couple are bound to hit the mark. They don't have potential, they just have dumb luck."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-02-04, 05:11 PM
"I feel for your loss. If they can be restored, it is likely Io will show us the way. But what has happened to our kin is not necessarily related to what has happened with the symbol. As I admitted earlier, it is unlikely that the two are not connected somehow. But we do not know that for certain, nor do we know that these individuals are responsible. So do not direct your anger and hatred at them for reasons that may not be justified.

Secondly, magic is the key to all true power. Almost every one of our kind that has fallen to humans and the like do so because they underestimate them, and they likely are out matched in the ways of magic. To accomplish what they did, however they managed to, they must have been using very powerful magic. So again, I point out that setting up a situation where we are viewed as their enemies, while they have time to prepare and then strike us, is a very bad plan. "

candycorn
2012-02-04, 10:26 PM
"And allow ME to point out that these worms destroy the world, and cause most of the catastrophes that NEED heroes... Including this. If Pandorym was awakened by anyone, I would wager it was a pinkskin that did it. They are a blight and a danger to the world, and removing a few tens of thousands of them from it will likely only prevent a few hundred catastrophes from happening.

As for their power and their magic? Hah. I wasn't aware I was called to a meeting of timid cowards. I thought we were supposed to be DRAGONS, not mice. Your lack of resolve sickens me, and to receive sympathy from the spineless is, well, frankly insulting.

The death of our kind to the pinkskins is usually due to a half dozen of the strongest of the cowardly vermin engaging a lone member of our kind. We shall not be alone. If we work together, rather than admire the very blight that endangers our offspring, that will not happen.

I will not shrink from the best course because there is a little risk or hardship in it. I have the resolve of a Dragon. It merely saddens me that I am alone in this."

candycorn
2012-02-05, 12:36 AM
Ezzerach takes a deep breath to calm herself, and continues, "Look, I get it. I really do. You like these...things. And if they were content to kill each other and make trinkets, I would think nothing of it. However, they are the only beings with the...potential, you called it, for great destruction, and the lack of wisdom required to not do it. Even among their 'wisest', I've seen no less than a dozen doomsday cults from them in the last century, in my domain alone.

There are lines you don't cross, lines that make you too dangerous to be allowed to live. These beings cross those lines, time and again, and then have the arrogance to call compassion and consideration 'humanity'. Honestly, I would call the behavior of lemmings more appropriate to the title. They're both self-destructive, after all.

They must be made aware that there are consequences for their foolish behavior. They need to know that the rest of the world will not sit idly by and trust them any longer to clean up their own messes. If we must get involved, then it is appropriate to admonish them for allowing it to get so bad that it needs our attention. And since the only thing that 'humanity' truly understands, time and again, is violence, then they have chosen the lesson that they are to receive."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-02-05, 02:18 AM
A smirk forms on Salazar's face, making the scrawny looking kobold appear to be up to something.
"Do not confuse time tested wisdom and patience with lack of resolve, young one! I assure you, I care nothing for the 'pinkskins' and their kind. My concern is dragons of all shapes, sizes and color. That is all. However I believe that the cons of this strategy out-weigh the pro's. It puts unnecessary attention and danger on our kind, and any information we may learn might not be credible. If you disagree, so be it. Io granted you your power, I am not one to criticize you for wielding it like a cudgel. But I will not aid you in your attempt. And I am willing to wager that your counterparts may go so far as to join the humans to stop you. If your anger and arrogance are willing to take that chance, go right ahead."

Turning to Nahatoran
"Tell me, have you been to any of those places? Can you teleport?"

candycorn
2012-02-05, 02:50 AM
"It's not your resolve I question, small one, but your wisdom. Any dragon who would join the humans who injure dragons, to harm dragons who are stopping them, is not deserving of his or her life, and I have no qualm stripping them of it. There are three types of dragon. Those who will do what is necessary to protect their species, even if it means descending from their ivory tower and testing themselves in battle... Those who lack the will to act, and will stand by, idly, whilst those of us with vision and determination act... And the third type, traitors to their kind, neither worthy of respect nor life.

The pro's in this instance are us. We have millennia of experience, and are as professional as it comes, gifted with physical prowess and magical might. The con's are the pinkskins. To clean up whatever mess they made, they exposed our kind to risk, and have stolen our kin from us.

Wake up! Our kind are vanishing before our very eyes. How many more will we lose while you waste time looking for humans too cowardly to make themselves known? We are CURRENTLY suffering unnecessary danger and risk, and only a fool would extend that to pander to the sensibilities of the very creatures that caused these problems!

When time is on our side, subtlety is well and good. But when it is not, then swift action is what is required.

If you wish for these worms to have a chance for peaceful action, then I propose this. We send a dragon to several major cities of the pinkskin. We call for communication with those responsible for Pandorym's fall. We tell them that, if they do not meet with us peacefully, that we will, in one week, begin to lay waste to humanity, until they grant us audience, and the information we seek.

If they answer the call, and meet with us, then we have handled the situation, and there are no 'cons'. If they truly are the worms I expect they will be, and hide from us, then they will learn their lesson, one city at a time, until their own kind turns against them, and exposes them for the frauds they are."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-02-05, 10:44 AM
"That... may actually work. Yes, that does have a certain level of efficiency to it as welll... hmm... "

The kobold scratches his chin for a moment, and appears to be thinking.

"Yes, that could very well work. One Dragon per city when putting the word out, so they don't know what they're really dealing with.... reduces the danger to our kind greatly. And with a week's time... more subtle approaches could simultaneously be pursued.... If you can get others that volunteered or even Arculos to support it, I will help you with this..."

Aneurin
2012-02-08, 05:23 PM
[In lieu of any other opinions;]

In semi-private audience with Arculos, after a long wait, you explain the plan and he agrees it has potential, although he advises it may be safest to down play the dragon element if possible when searching for the heros, for your own safety. His long life has taught him that softskins in general, and adventurers in particular, seem to be trigger happy in the presence of dragons.

He offers the services of the spellcasting dragons to aid you to and from your destinations, and asks that you return to him when you have decided what message to send to the adventurers.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-02-10, 05:24 AM
"Wow... I am surprised he went for that so willingly.... a bad sign for us perhaps..."

Salazar leans on his cane, looking thoughtful for a moment.

"What do you think? should we not make it obvious we are dragons? or should we just bite the crossbow bolt and put it out there? Arculas is right, it could change how they react to the message."

as for the message to be delivered, this is salazar's proposal.

'Attention humanoids, many weeks ago a strange symbol appeared in the sky. It is come to my attention that a group of humanoid adventurers are responsible for ridding the world of it. It is rumored that they have been here recently. Although we may require thanks to them for their actions, it is imperative that I speak with them.

I ask that they contact me magically, or return to this spot 7 days from now at dusk. To illustrate the seriousness of this matter, if they do not make themselves known by this time, every city where this message appears will be systematically leveled and all it's people killed. This will take me mere moments, so I ask you to not waste my time.

That is all.'

candycorn
2012-02-10, 05:42 AM
Ezzerach looks pensive for a moment, weighing options, before speaking. "The old one's point has merit. It will do us no favors if the pinkskins are too busy running in terror or lobbing feeble attacks to listen. I propose we seek audience with a captain of a guard, and speak thusly:

'I represent a group of powerful beings, who desire naught but information from this city. Recently, a great evil, by the name of Pandorym, was laid low. Shortly afterwards, there have been seen disturbances in the natural order of the world. Those I represent seek audience with those responsible for Pandorym's fall, so that we may better understand what has happened, and how to stop it. Should this request be met, they should leave word here, to arrange for meeting. If that is the case, then we shall go in peace, as we came. Should those adventurers not see fit to speak in peace, however, we will act swiftly, and shall destroy the cities they hide in, until they come forth. Make no mistake, we wish to gain what we seek peacefully. However, if your heroes leave us no choice, woe be unto you all.'

I believe that strikes the tone I was thinking of."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-02-11, 11:00 AM
"I say put a deadline onto that, and we can call it good"

Unexpectedly a bat flutters and lands on the Kobold's shoulder. It curls its wings and sits as if it belongs there and has always been there. Awkwardly, Salazar turns his one good eye to the small creature as if to stare it down.

"Where the hell have you been? When we came in, I said stay close. Not go wherever you feel like! I have half a mind to put you in a bag and beat you with my cane!"

The bat merely returns the icy stare with a look of ignorance.

dspeyer
2012-02-12, 01:33 AM
Antwelm finally rouses himself from thought and speaks.

"That may be a bit too harsh for an initial message. Remember that genuine allies are more useful than those forced into service by fear. Also remember that if a friendly approach doesn't work, we can always add threats later, but if threats do not achieve what we want, we cannot try friendliness afterwards.

Nevertheless, fear can be a great motivator. I propose that we say that we believe the disturbances are a threat to humanity. There's a good chance it's true (because of millennia of underdocumented interbreeding if nothing else) and I expect it will get plenty of attention.

If this doesn't produce results, we can threaten them with ourselves in the second round of messages."

candycorn
2012-02-12, 01:53 AM
"And in the weeks that we try to coat our words with honey, for fear of offending those responsible for STEALING OUR CHILDREN? How many more of our kind will vanish in that time? We have NO TIME to protect the delicate sensibilities of lesser beings. We need to let them know that they can speak to us on friendly terms, or they can have us as enemies. If they would have us as enemies, we will raze their lands and kill everyone they hold dear to them. We are seeking very little from the whelps, given their obvious blame in the matter. I will not brook delays in obtaining it, not when it comes at the cost of dragons.

Mankind's heroism has, more often than not, been to clean up mankind's atrocities. Mankind's power comes at the price of meddling with forces they do not fully comprehend. There is always a reckoning. Now, in their impudent arrogance, they have meddled in the affairs of dragons. They NEED to understand that there will be consequences for such foolish behavior.

Not one more dragon will disappear, if I can help it, to protect the delicate feelings of those responsible for those disappearances. If I had my way, they would receive this warning AFTER the destruction of a half dozen of their towns. I only temper my actions out of the need to work with dragons without the stomach for action.

But I will not go before the humans, with hat in hand, begging for their table scraps. I will not go before them like a declawed cat, beseeching the mice for a scrap of cheese. If you think, for one second, that I will go before the killers of my sons, with sweet words and no spine, then you're deluded. And if you would protect those vermin, at the cost of the lives of dragons, then you're not worthy of your heritage!

WE are the threat to humanity. And if they don't do as we wish, when we wish, in the manner we wish, they will rue the day they set this plague upon us."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-02-12, 02:03 AM
"Sadly I must agree with her. Time is a critical element here, and frankly at this moments the threats are just that, threats. We may not get off on the best claw, but if they are genuinely not responsible for what's going on, then they will quickly become helpful. If they are responsible, I don't think anyone here cares what we threaten them with. And honestly, her threats were way more vague than mine. Vague threats are much easier to overcome if we later pursue the diplomacy option."

Turning to Ezzerach
"Of course you should also remember, we won't be doing nothing while we wait. I have no intention of playing the waiting game. So do not assume that every minute we wait for a response will be a wasted moment"

candycorn
2012-02-12, 02:19 AM
"Sadly I must agree with her. Time is a critical element here, and frankly at this moments the threats are just that, threats. We may not get off on the best claw, but if they are genuinely not responsible for what's going on, then they will quickly become helpful. If they are responsible, I don't think anyone here cares what we threaten them with. And honestly, her threats were way more vague than mine. Vague threats are much easier to overcome if we later pursue the diplomacy option."

Turning to Ezzerach
"Of course you should also remember, we won't be doing nothing while we wait. I have no intention of playing the waiting game. So do not assume that every minute we wait for a response will be a wasted moment"

"Nor do I. I intend to spend my time in human guise, within one of their cities, learning about their so-called-heroes, and learning of the defenses they can muster. That is where my words will drip with honey. I would bend their ears, their minds, and their hearts, so that when these cowards don't show, the humans will blame the absence of their 'heroes' for our actions."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-02-12, 03:06 AM
"Exactly what I had in mind. Of course there is no way you can alone. Whatever is going on, with most of us gathered here, whomever goes out will be the most vulnerable because they will be one of the few targets left. Did you have a particular city you would like to start at?"

candycorn
2012-02-12, 03:59 AM
"The spells that see through our human guise, while not terribly expensive, are too costly to use regularly. So long as we enter the cities as humans, and behave as humans, I don't think there is a terribly high chance of being discovered. After all, several of the more tolerant dragons actually own human property and live in human towns. At most, I'd send in two at a time, as larger groups tend to draw notice. We could send as many as four into a single city, in two groups of two, and simply establish signals under which we act to support one another. Otherwise, we act independently, and learn what we can. At the end of the week, if they do not meet with us, we use what we've learned to destroy their defenses in one swift blow, after which we raze the town. Then, we find another town to raze. And another. We isolate a larger city, by decimating the surrounding villages, then lay siege to it, and wreck it utterly.

Then perhaps the fools will see that we are not amused by their recklessness."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-02-12, 11:10 AM
"I'm afraid you miss a key point. Arculos said this was happening to all our kind, true dragon and dragon blooded alike, with no difference. The simple ability to disguise ourselves among humans will most likely not be enough. If you wish to go out and try to find answers like we all do, you need to go with someone. Because if you never come back, there was no point in you going out..."

cutlex
2012-02-13, 04:27 PM
"Mortals would have enough trouble slaying a single one of us. I believe the the presence of our group about a city would be enough to send panic throughout a small nation, and draw much attention. Especially if anyone keen enough notices our traditionally unfriendly companions not actively trying to destroy each other. I believe we should make ourselves known."

candycorn
2012-02-13, 07:36 PM
"No, the kobold is astute, for a lesser dragon. This plague is taking all dragons, young and old, weak and powerful. Going alone is foolish, for we learn nothing from a scout that doesn't return. We shouldn't attract too much attention if we go in human guise, even in small groups. I'd say groups of four per city, splitting into two groups of two, meeting every second day to share information. That would give us the best chance at two seperate cities, to ensure our information is passed on."

cutlex
2012-02-13, 10:09 PM
"Subterfuge has never been a strong point of mine. I would much rather have our groups appear in our true forms and demand their respect. But, I would much rather ANY plan than sitting here waiting for our ends to come to us."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-02-14, 01:47 AM
"Well for the time being, perhaps you would learn it. Or stay with someone who knows it for their protection and your own. When the time comes, and no matter the outcome the time will come, you will be more than welcome to spill the blood you desire.

So given the the highlands of Sanscarr to the far north, the icewastes of Fel'mass to the south, the deserts of A'norr'ae to the west, the elf city of Winholme a hundred miles from here, where do we go first? Honestly I find the likely hood that they are in any of the areas very low. The rumors seem to be spread out so that if anyone was looking for them, they would have to go to far ends of the world. That right there suggests something is up, but it is equally possible that it's just a side effect of their fame. Does anyone know anything about these cities?"

OOC
Calling all bards, calling all bards...

"If not, then given it's proximity, I vote for the elven city of winholme. It seems less likely to be a dead end according to my gut. Plus a city strikes me as a better starting point than a region."

candycorn
2012-02-14, 09:12 AM
Mechanics:Notable history about each?

Knowledge: History: (Winholme) [roll0]
Knowledge: History: (Sanscarr) [roll1]
Knowledge: History: (Fel'mass) [roll2]
Knowledge: History: (A'norr'ae) [roll3]

"I agree with pursuing Winholme, if only because it would take only a touch over two hours to reach by wing, and there's no sense wasting magic, when the trip is so short. For anyone who flies slower, any who are in a more humanish form may take the trip upon my back. Two hours of flight, then a short walk in human form, and we'll be there, with nobody the wiser. Then one of our number can deliver the message to Winholme, and we can begin our study of the town."

With that, Ezzerach finds a reasonably open patch of land, and assumes the form of a massive blue dragon.

Wabbajack
2012-02-16, 08:55 AM
"I will not assume a lesser form. I could ask the leader of one of these cities for an audience but I will not sneak around like a rat."

candycorn
2012-02-16, 09:11 AM
"Even the 'great' Bahamut is seen, from time to time, walking around in human guise, to test the humans. I wasn't aware you held such a dim view of the Platinum one. Nonetheless, when you're looking to learn from the rats, it's not helpful to walk in, looking like a cat. Sorta puts them off a bit, or so I hear. Surely you can find a way to travel through the city without compromising your precious principles, while simultaneously avoiding causing these vermin to piss themselves at the sight of you."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-02-17, 03:22 AM
OOC
knowledge (arcana) [roll0]

"He is afraid. Radiant dragons do not know how to cast spells like you and I, and he fears being attacked by you or his enemies while in a weaker form. I suppose I can understand that. Well one of two things can happen, one; You can take the time you need to overcome your fear of being in humanoid form and I will bring you along when I teleport to meet her. Or two; If you can't handle it but can manage to find some of us who will go with you, why don't you head to the icewastes of Fel'mass and see if you can find anything there?
Your choice big guy."

To Ezzerach;
"Fly to windholme, once there I will teleport in and meet you. I intend to make sure that the proper message gets sent to each area. In addition, I would like to make a few short preparations. But don't worry, you will not be alone."

Salazar turns to the bat on his shoulder and mumbles a few words of arcane magic. A beam of blue light shoots from the kobolds eye's into the bat's eyes, before disappearing. The bat nods for a moment before Salazar motions at Ezzerach, and the bat flies over to her and lands on her shoulder.
OOC
Salazar casts Imbue Familiar with spell ability
Spells used;
Teleport
Sending
Celerity
Haste
Maximized Fell drain Fireball
Wings of Cover
"At the first sign of trouble, return here if you can, get out of trouble at the very least. That's an order pal."
The bat proceeds to ignore him.

dspeyer
2012-02-21, 12:15 AM
"Well let us divide then. And show no sign of knowing eachother beyond our own teams. Thereby we will not give away valuable information (that we are working together), and if those among us who cannot fathom subtlety ruin everything with their bluster, those among us who can will have a hope to salvage things.

For myself, I volunteer to go wherever is farthest -- I daresay that a bit of cleverness and a lot of magic will get me anywhere I wish to be."

OOC

Let's see what I know...

Knowledge History
Sanscarr: [roll0]
Fel'mass: [roll1]
A'norr'ae: [roll2]
Winholme: [roll3]
Pandorym: [roll4]

Draconic Knowledge:
Sanscarr: [roll5]
Fel'mass: [roll6]
A'norr'ae: [roll7]
Winholme: [roll8]
Pandorym: [roll9]

CowMasterTrojan
2012-02-22, 01:34 AM
"We are not going to split into 3 different groups. That's a bad plan. If we must split, one to the icelands and one to Winholme. If both turn up a dead end, then the group to the icelands can head to the highlands and the group to winholme to the desert."

"But If you desire to use subtlety, come with us to Winholme. If our Radiant friend here can get over his fears, we can break into two teams there. It will be rather efficient. I implore you both, staying close together would be the best thing in these times. We can move on to the other cities, one at a time"

candycorn
2012-02-22, 02:30 PM
Ezzerach looks at the kobold, with more than a little venom. "Be careful who you boss around, half-breed. Even if I had a hand in this plan, you are not fit to give orders to those of true blood.

That said, the menial task of coordinating the others is...suited to one of your limited means.

I will not worry about being alone. Solitude is what I prefer, by and large. To that end, I expect your bat to follow MY instruction while it rides me. Should it choose not to, it will not survive the journey."

With that, Ezzerach lifts off with the grace of a hummingbird, and darts straight out of the cavern at rapid speed.

After leaving: Journey 100 miles will take 2 hours, 20 minutes, with 1 hour of hustling. After first hour, order the bat to dismount, fly a few hundred feet away, and cast the rest of my buff suite. Then return, place the bat on me, and continue onward to the destination.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-02-23, 01:15 AM
The kobold turns his head sideways momentarily, and his one eye focuses on Ezzerach as she speaks. Again, he half smiles and chuckles lightly for a brief second, before bowing slightly.
"My words to you were not intended as orders. My apologies if they came off as such. I simply seek to organize those whose nature it is to be a independent loner, and get them to work together. If we do not act properly, it would be a tremendous loss for our kind. "

The bat does indeed do what it's told.

cutlex
2012-02-23, 08:01 PM
Tanras has a look of bored disinterest.

"I do not care which direction I go, but would be willing to teleport those interested in coming along with me. My ability to remain disguised is limited, but I have skill in manipulating sounds. This is of course unnecessary, should we attempt a more... direct route of communication."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-02-24, 01:25 AM
"Well if your ability to remain disguised is limited, then logically you should go with our Radiant friend to the icelands. How does that sound?"

CowMasterTrojan
2012-02-28, 11:50 PM
Given the lack of response, I am going to assume the volunteers have dried up.

Salazar spends the next 90 minutes trying to coordinate any efforts, and makes sure the message is to be delivered to Windholme on proper schedule. He then finds a quiet place to himself, and casts several persisted buffs upon himself.

He then transforms into a half elf with a eye patch and a cape, casts greater scrying on his familiar (which auto succeeds), and teleports to meet Ezzerach, bringing with any who are interested.

[roll0]

Edit: Hurray! on target

Aneurin
2012-03-05, 06:32 PM
To everyone who rolled checks about the areas:

Highlands of Sanscarr
• Home of the famed human air harbours.
• Before human settlement of the region some five hundred years ago, it was home to two warring archmages who obliterated and reshaped the terrain endlessly before their deaths. Some say, however, that one or even both archmages live on as undead, preparing to renew their war. Little remains of their domains now.
• Very high non-human tolerance due to the air harbours.
• Produces air ships for almost the entire world, both magical and mundane.

Ice wastes of Fel’mass
• Town hall is built around the skeleton of a Great Wyrm White dragon. The people of the town have a fearsome reputation as dragon hunters, and are one of the reasons there are few White Dragons still in the area. There’s also a particularly vindictive white dragon marshalling her forces to obliterate the town of Akae after the death of a number of her offspring.
• Only one real town, the trading hub of Akae.
• Scattered communities of nomads roam the waste, along with a number of savage humanoid tribes, including goblins, bugbears, ogres and giants.

Deserts of A’norr’ae
• Littered with ruins of fallen cities, the deserts surround ore-rich mountains that once were the centre of the civilized world before the winds changed thousands of years ago and the desert swallowed the old empires.
• Now all that remains are scattered and isolated mining communities hanging on like grim death in the mountains, clustered around the few water sources left.

Elf city of Winholme
• Known as the city of winds, Winholme is situated where two canyons cross one another and exists in a near-perpetual crosswind.
• Technological capital of the world; if there’s a new innovation, chances are it was invented in Winholme, and if it wasn’t they certainly made the first copy.

Before you leave on your appointed tasks, Arculos and the other spell casting dragons target you with a spell that they say will shield you from all divinations but their own.

Your delivery missions are successful, and largely uneventful. But the days tick by and there's no word from the real adventurers. In the mean time, you have to put up with a stream of deluded fools and wannabe heroes.

Eventually, though, you're forced to concede that they aren't going to show up. It's time to regroup and figure out your next steps.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-06, 12:07 AM
To everyone who rolled checks about the areas:

Highlands of Sanscarr
• Home of the famed human air harbours.
• Before human settlement of the region some five hundred years ago, it was home to two warring archmages who obliterated and reshaped the terrain endlessly before their deaths. Some say, however, that one or even both archmages live on as undead, preparing to renew their war. Little remains of their domains now.
• Very high non-human tolerance due to the air harbours.
• Produces air ships for almost the entire world, both magical and mundane.

Ice wastes of Fel’mass
• Town hall is built around the skeleton of a Great Wyrm White dragon. The people of the town have a fearsome reputation as dragon hunters, and are one of the reasons there are few White Dragons still in the area. There’s also a particularly vindictive white dragon marshalling her forces to obliterate the town of Akae after the death of a number of her offspring.
• Only one real town, the trading hub of Akae.
• Scattered communities of nomads roam the waste, along with a number of savage humanoid tribes, including goblins, bugbears, ogres and giants.

Deserts of A’norr’ae
• Littered with ruins of fallen cities, the deserts surround ore-rich mountains that once were the centre of the civilized world before the winds changed thousands of years ago and the desert swallowed the old empires.
• Now all that remains are scattered and isolated mining communities hanging on like grim death in the mountains, clustered around the few water sources left.

Elf city of Winholme
• Known as the city of winds, Winholme is situated where two canyons cross one another and exists in a near-perpetual crosswind.
• Technological capital of the world; if there’s a new innovation, chances are it was invented in Winholme, and if it wasn’t they certainly made the first copy.

Before you leave on your appointed tasks, Arculos and the other spell casting dragons target you with a spell that they say will shield you from all divinations but their own.

Your delivery missions are successful, and largely uneventful. But the days tick by and there's no word from the real adventurers. In the mean time, you have to put up with a stream of deluded fools and wannabe heroes.

Eventually, though, you're forced to concede that they aren't going to show up. It's time to regroup and figure out your next steps.

OOC Questions
Just for clarification purposes, our attempt to infiltrate the towns and find more out about the heroes also fails?

Also a point; provided only Ezzerach and Salazar go to Winholme, which is unclear due to lack of responses, does that also indicate that Ezzerach levels the city when the real heroes fail to show up?

Aneurin
2012-03-06, 09:17 AM
Infiltration of the towns works fine; unfortunately you can't find anyone who can describe the heroes. Lots of people say they saw them, but no two people can agree on their descriptions. One person even swears they were all wyverns.

Ezzerach could try and raze the city if she likes. It's one of the options available at this point. With that said, I'd sort of prefer it if you all regrouped before starting this for my convenience. Having the party doing different things simultaneously in PbP makes it a little tricky to keep the party in the same time frame sometimes.

I can and will work around this, though, if that is what the character would do.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-11, 02:50 AM
Returning to the peak, (Regardless of what Ezzerach does), Salazar approaches Arculos.

"I fear we have wasted more days than we had to spare, and we have nothing to show for our troubles. I hope Io has shown you more luck. Have you learned anything new? Any new leads or information about these... heroes?... humans?... people?... Whatever they are.
If not, I fear our options grow thin."

Aneurin
2012-03-14, 02:55 PM
When you arrive, no-one else you know has shown up yet.

Arculos, when he has time to see you, nods solemnly at your words.

"There is a wyvern recently arrived, who was too late for the meeting. She claims to have met the adventuring group. Perhaps she can tell you more; I have no had time to speak with her myself and have been unable to determine the truth of her claim, but have been directing those seeking the adventurers in her direction. She has taken up residence in one of the dwellings outside of the entrance to this cavern if you wish to speak with her.

"She is Cirkes of the Jeweled Brow and you will know her by her name. She is an elder of her kind and not to be trifled with."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-15, 12:59 AM
"You haven't had time?...." The weary looking kobold says with a bit of anger.
"Arculos... I don't expect you to explain to me what you're doing, but I expected you were able to prioritize your time better than that. We have been chasing rumors and shadows of misinformation, and you may have had the information we needed right around the corner?!! Look at how many have not returned. Io help us, I hope they still will but for as long as I took, I expected a few more back by now. If we are to solve this, we need to work together. And our kind is failing miserably right now. If you have information that is pertinent to our mission, I expect to be informed somehow! By a sending spell at the very least."

Salazar walks a few steps away, turns his back to Arculos, rubs his eye, and takes a few breaths. "No, I have not forgotten my oath to you. I will not.... my anger will not betray it..." He mumbles to himself. Turning back he once again addresses Arculos.

"My apologies Arculos. I have overstepped my place. I did not mean to offend you... However... what I said still had merit. I will find a Kobold capable of casting sending, and I will make sure he is at your side. If a message needs to come to me, he shall be there to ensure that it does. Please use him. Now If you excuse me, I have much to do before I rest this night."

Salazar bows and excuses himself, wandering off to find a grouping of kobolds. Once he has found such, he casts Dominate Person (DC 26) on 3 different kobolds. They are given the instructions; "Find me a kobold who can cast the spell; sending. Bring them to my bat, who shall remain in this spot. He shall alert me. Please ensure they wait until I return, and then you may return to your tasks. This is a top priority."

Having taken care of that task, he shape changes into a young adult silver dragon. He then travels to the outside dwellings, looking for Cirkes of the Jeweled Brow. He will announce his desire to question her about the adventurers she claims to have met to anyone who seems relevant enough to tell.

Aneurin
2012-03-15, 08:12 AM
As you try and walk away from Arculos, you find your path blocked by a pair of prismatic wings. You're suddenly afflicted with a sensation of crippling dread, and as you slowly turn, you find yourself nose-to-tooth with Arculos who is now right beside you. He speaks in a soft tone.

"Tell me, little kobold, do you think that you are the only one who is seeking these humans? Do you think that with hundreds of other dragons to co-ordinate in the spellcasting research that I can spare the time to talk to every dragon-kin who comes through here? You are most fortunate that I have found the time to speak to you. I have not had the time to see many others, older and wiser than yourself, such as Cirkes.

"If you wish to keep up to date with the latest happenings here, then I suggest you find someone to do so. I, however, am not yours to command!"

His last words are accompanied by his voice rising to a painful volume.

He snaps out a word of magic and you find yourself stood at the entrance to the cavern, surrounded by a surprised band of kobolds.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-15, 11:59 AM
Nice. That is at least on par with what I had heard of you

If Salazar was unable to get his apology out, it will be given the next time he speaks with Arculos. (If he is allowed to).

He still dominates the 3 kobolds and goes looking for Cirkes.

Aneurin
2012-03-15, 06:53 PM
Arculos didn't stop you leaving until after your apology.

Assuming you're at least a little subtle in your domination attempts, you have no trouble dominating three kobolds and they scurry off on their given tasks.

You find the dwelling places of Cirkes without much trouble, although everyone you speak to warns you not to visit her. You get the feeling she's more than a little temperamental - even more so than her notoriously ill-tempered kind.

You find yourself stood outside of a cave that could easily accomodate several Gargantuan creatures. Far inside outside of the reach of light from the entrance, you can hear something moving.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-16, 12:29 AM
Still in the form of the silver dragon, Salazar relies on his darkvision and moves towards the back of the cave where the sounds are coming from.

"Cirkes, I am told you reside here. I mean you no harm, but it is important that I speak with you about the adventures you met. The ones that supposedly stopped Pandorym. Please, it would benefit all our kind if you could help me find them..."

Aneurin
2012-03-16, 06:15 PM
As you advance through the cave, you become aware of the growing stink of wyvern - the smell is far stronger than any you have come across before, though.

"Stay where you are, Kobold." a voice hisses from outside the range of your darkvision.

"I have no desire to be disturbed by you or any of the other insufferable fools that crawl over the wretched rock. I have answered interminable questions about the humans that invaded my home, why should I talk to you?"

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-17, 01:54 AM
"Impressive, I would not have expected a Wyvern to readily be using true seeing... "

"You need to speak to me about them, because I was sent here by Arculos. I am tasked with finding them. And the survival of our kind may depend on finding them. I will try not to bother you with questions that do not matter. If you tell me what you can of them, perhaps I can even make them pay for forcing you out of your cave. So please... just tell me anything you can that would help me find them. Appearances, mannerisms, names, even the last place you saw them."

Aneurin
2012-03-20, 04:53 PM
There is a long silence from the back of the cave and the feeling of intense scrutiny washes over you.

"Little kobold, what makes you think I should tell you just because that stuffy old fool sent you? I have lived my life for many, many years with no interference from another. I have seen my children and my children's children and their children in turn go out into the world and outlived them and more like them.

"In my lifetime I have seen more of this world and others like it than you could possibly imagine. So why, little kobold, do you come here and imply that a group of puny humans could oust me from my roost, and then declare you can punish them in my stead? You are bold, little kobold, but bold and foolish are so close you can cross the line without even realising. I do not tolerate the foolish, and only seldom do I tolerate the bold,"

As if to illustrate the point, a wyvern stinger smashed down into the cave floor just in range of your darkvision. It's bigger than you are.

Sorry for the slow post, been a little distracted these last few days. Should be all clear for a long while now, though.

I also promise that you'll meet some characters that are a little friendlier soon! Also some that are a little more impressed by Epic status, too.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-21, 04:33 PM
No worries, I actually somehow managed to miss your post yesterday. I only noticed it because I was going to post again. :smallredface:

On that note; its been a week, so I shall be introducing Blight shortly.

Salazar cast a silent & still Ebon eyes, allowing him to see completely in normal and magical darkness. Just to clarify, the stinger was bigger than salazar in his normal form or in his current form?

"My apologies. You said they invaded your home, which implies you were forced out of it. I am sorry for being so presumptuous. And if you do not care for Arculos, fine. But we need to find out why dragonkind is disappearing. And these adventurers, humans, scum, whatever you want to call them, they very likely have the answers. So I must find them. And right now you are the only one we know of that has any clue about them. So we need you. Dragons everywhere needs you. Do you not care at least some what about your kind? Please, I beg of you. Just tell me what you can of them, and I will be on my way."

Aneurin
2012-03-22, 09:07 AM
Go for it. He could be heading up to the cave to speak with Cirkes himself or something if you like, Arculos has been sending everyone he speaks to to her.

By the way, the stinger is bigger than a kobold.

Your spell reveals the cavern, which appears to be empty until you notice the gleaming row of gems high up in the air somewhere ahead of you. Then the gems move and you realise what you had taken for part of the cave is actually a colossal stone-coloured wyvern. As it shifts, stone dust cascades from its bulk revealing gleaming brown scales. Along the wyvern's eyeridges you can see a mass of scar tissue where some horrific wound has barely missed Cirkes' eyes and has torn away a swathe of scales. However, the scars are largely covered by a glittering array of gems and false scales made of precious metals.

The wyvern seems to be preening at your reaction. It also seems to be considering something.

After a long period of silence, Cirkes speaks again.

"Go to the North. In the depths of the highlands, you will find the resting places of the two wizards who made that land their own in the years of my youth. I do not guarantee that you will find those you seek, but you may find those who can tell you where they are. Be wary, for the humans have come to live there in recent times, and they are not welcoming of dragon-kin."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-22, 11:52 AM
"Thank you. I shall do my best to find them. I was unaware that any of them had even died. "

Now able to see Cirkes, Salazar bows in the proper direction and turns to leave, then pauses for a second, contemplating something. Turning back around, he clears his throat and speaks once more.

"Do you have any clue what the wizard's names are? It would make the search much easier."

Aneurin
2012-03-22, 06:13 PM
"They have been gone many, many years and even I do not recall their names. Maybe the humans have it in one of their dull, dusty tomes. It should not be hard to unearth something about the Warring Wizards as they are known now,"

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-23, 12:44 AM
"My thanks. The warning wizards, it is a name of sorts at least. More than enough. If you should ever need the assistance of a powerful mystic theurge, do not hesitate to ask..."

Again Salazar bows, and walks out. A smile is on his face.
Finally a lead. And I doubt this old codger would ever call me on the favor anyway. Even if he did, by the time he tried I likely will be dead. Interesting thought, perhaps I should find a loan shark....

Returning to his familiar, he hopefully finds a kobold capable of casting sending. If he does, his instructions are as follows;
He shakes the kobold's hand, and says "Greetings, you may call me Salazar. I am a powerful mystic theurge that is currently working closely with Arculos. I don't know what kind of duties you are doing now, but it would be very important if you could be reassigned to work with Arculos. I need someone with him basically at ALL times. I am working on finding the solution to our kind's disappearances, and will be gone most of the time. However If Arculos finds out information that is useful to my mission, having a kobold at his side who could have that information to me in 10 minutes would be crucial. I need you, to be that kobold. Can I trust you to help me help our kind survive it's darkest hour?"

Basic information on the kobold would be gained if he was willing so that sending spells could be sent back.

If the Kobold declines, Salazar will lay on the guilt and then request he at least find someone who could do such a job for him.

If such a kobold has not been found yet, Salazar will proceed to go to bed like he had planned anyway, hoping one will be found by then.

Salazar rests and re-memorizes on his divine side, while putting back up the same persisted buffs he was already using. (Among them being shapechange).

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-23, 02:24 AM
When Salazar awake from his sleep, he checks on anything that needs to be checked on. Once this is done, he will send a message to Arculos via a kobold.

'Cirkes has indicated that two wizards of the group are from the highlands. The warring wizards is the only name she knew. I am headed there now to investigate.
-Salazar'

From there he turns into a wyrmling force dragon, which is translucent in nature and hard to spot. From there he will fly to the highlands. How long is the journey with a fly speed of 250?

Aneurin
2012-03-24, 09:02 AM
You did find a kobold waiting. However, the kobolds you dominated had drugged and kidnapped her and left her tied up at your familiar. She is quite co-operative, however, and seems ready to agree to just about anything if you'll just untie her.

Your message to Arculos apparently has no response; at least there isn't one before you depart.

The journey takes you almost a week. As you near the highlands you notice a large amount of air traffic; some mundane airships and hot air balloons, others sleek magical crash, others are bizarre technological innovations. Most of them are heading in one of two directions - the way you're going, or the opposite direction. You guess that they're headed to or from some sort of airport.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-24, 11:09 AM
Salazar will cast remove poison on the kobold, untie her and apologize. Hopefully she will be cooperative.

Thank goodness for persisted shapechange, or that would have been a long journey.

If you are not opposed, this is where Blight will be entering the scene. I will type a whole bunch of monologue out later

Salazar casts invisibility on himself, shapechanges into a wyrmling shadow dragon (tiny) and lands on one of the airships that appear to be landing. Once it has landed, he shall leave the ship via kobold form and look around.

Casting lore of the gods to know any locations of important note
Knowledge (local) [roll0]

Aneurin
2012-03-24, 06:59 PM
The kobold, somewhat grudgingly, accepts.

That's fine by me.

The town is built around an immense spire of rock that juts almost vertically from the ground. The houses, homes and businesses are established at the base of the spire, while the walls are given over to airship docking. At the peak of the spire, however, is a very impressive looking building

You learn that the docks are the main focus of Sky City, with most of the city built to support them. There are a number of notable structures, inns, bars and the like around the place. The dockmaster's office is the impressive building on top of the spire, which doubles as the mayor's office - the jobs being synonymous in this city. There is a famous library in the city, the scholars buy up every scrap of information that passes through at premium prices, so it is considered to be one of the best-stocked in the world, despite being less than a century old.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-25, 01:25 AM
It occurs to me I forgot about his SLA Shadow walk, a result of his dragonpact with blight. So he would be traveling via the shadow plane to get there, which I suppose makes even more sense that Blight would appear now.

Just some random numbers for you
Miles traveled in one hour by normal person (30ft move, non hustle)= 3 miles/4.82803 km

Miles traveled in one hour by normal person on shadow plane (30 ft, non hustle)= 50 miles/80.4672 km

Miles traveled in one hour by wyrmling force dragon (250 ft fly, non hustle)= 40 miles/64.3737 km

So assuming 8 hours travel each day, that's 320 miles/514.990 km a day by flight.

Theoretically by flying in the shadow plane, one could move normally.
So 50 miles shadow/3 normal= 16.67 times normal movement

40 miles flight*16.67 shadow plane speed up=666.67 miles/1072.901 km an hour. Or 5333.33 miles/ 8583.162 km a day.
o.O

Blight and Salazar meet again

"SO.... Kobold! We meet again....." Hissed the quiet voice from the shadows. Although he couldn't see him, Salazar knew immediately who it was.

I Should have expected him to show up if I took the shadow plane Salazar thought.

"Blight, I should have known you would come around eventually. What happened? You were supposed to stay with me on the prime material plane!"

"Your plane... it boors me sometimes.... The shadows may be lifeless for the most part, but they imitate the interesting. An imitation of a interesting thing is always more interesting than the real version of a boring thing"

"Right... well you agreed to help me. That was part of the bet. And right now I need it. So when I exit the shadow plane, you are coming with me" Salazar said boldly.

"Kobold, you may be bold while you take that form of a force dragon... but a simple dispel magic and I would tear you to shreds" Laughed the dragon in the shadows.

"Blight! One, you're not a strong enough caster to dispel my magic, and you know better than to disrespect my power like that. Secondly... you wouldn't dare lay a claw on me. Our souls are bonded and it is a key component to stopping your weakness to the sun. You wouldn't dare touch me. Finally, you gave me your word Blight. You told me there was nothing stronger than your word, so no backing out! Come with me, we will be leaving the shadow plane in about 3 hours."

Salazar says this with no sign of fear in his voice, but inside his fears run wild that he has misinterpreted how bold the shadow dragon really is, and he knows it could cost him. But all he gets is cold, red eyes staring at him for several minutes. Finally the dragon concedes that Salazar cannot be bullied, and says "Very well, tell me what interesting things are going on in the prime material plane"

Smiling because he stared a vampiric shadow dragon in the face and didn't even blink, Salazar crosses his arms and begins to speak. He tells blight of the missing dragons, and how a great meeting is being held to protect the remainders. Finally he explains how none came back, and now he is looking for the waring wizards. Blight remains silent for another moment.

"So the race of all dragons are in danger unless you can catch the culprit. Well that will at least keep me occupied. Very well... Salazar.... I shall come with you this time. Let me gather my things and I shall return."

With that, Blight disappears and only returns a few hours later.. They travel together and when they leave the Shadow plane, Blight takes the form of a pasty looking scrawny elf.

Salazar, accompanied by his elf companion, enter the city and immediately head to the library to research the waring wizards,

Aneurin
2012-03-25, 04:19 PM
Just some random numbers for you
Miles traveled in one hour by normal person (30ft move, non hustle)= 3 miles/4.82803 km

Miles traveled in one hour by normal person on shadow plane (30 ft, non hustle)= 50 miles/80.4672 km

Miles traveled in one hour by wyrmling force dragon (250 ft fly, non hustle)= 40 miles/64.3737 km

So assuming 8 hours travel each day, that's 320 miles/514.990 km a day by flight.

Theoretically by flying in the shadow plane, one could move normally.
So 50 miles shadow/3 normal= 16.67 times normal movement

40 miles flight*16.67 shadow plane speed up=666.67 miles/1072.901 km an hour. Or 5333.33 miles/ 8583.162 km a day.
o.O

How about we just say that you arrive in an unspecified amount of time? That way I don't have to got cry in a corner as you make mockery of space and time :smalltongue:

As you leave the ship, you're aware of hateful looks, muttered curses and people going out of their way to avoid Salazar. It's more than a little obvious that people don't think much of him.

As you walk through the town, you see that the buildings are all fairly recent constructions of white limestone. The stares and mutterings seem to follow you through the streets, until you at last reach the street running up to the library.

There's a change here; the buildings are different stone here, granite or something like it and are much more richly ornamented. The street is also much wider. The buildings seem to be religious; most, if not all, have the symbols of various deities hanging over their doors.

The most striking thing about these buildings, however, is the almost unmistakable signs of neglect. The buildings are shabby and run down, and the decorations are worn and faded. Members of the various clergies are sat outside their churches in raggedy robes, clutching bowls full of copper coins. At the far end of the street, several buildings even seem to stand empty.

At the end of the street stands the library. Unlike the other buildings, it is in good condition and is obviously being kept well. On the dome of the roof stands a statue of a dragon, cleverly inlaid with glittering metals that when they catch the light take on the gleam of platinum.

You stand before the double doors of the great library that was once the Holy Temple of Bahamut. Do you dare to enter?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-26, 01:18 AM
Salazar, used to being looked down upon for being a lone kobold, is completely unscathed by the glares and hateful looks. Blight on the other hand, is very amused and once he notices, he begins laughing harder and harder every time they walk by someone who gives him a hateful look or mutter. Finally when a woman crosses the street to avoid them, Salazar speaks up.

(For reference, Salazar is whispering while Blight is talking at a normal level)
"Do you really have to laugh so hard? Humans are notoriously racist, you get used to it. All you're doing is making a bigger scene out of something that doesn't have to be a big thing."

"Salazar... Hiding among these... these worms, it has really weakened you. I know what you are capable of doing. I know the countless dragons you killed over the years. And compared to me, you are like a rat. No offense, it's not easy being around a being as dangerous as me. But compared to you, these people are... worms. And you are the hungry bird who decides whether their insignificant life is spared today. They are literally beneath you. But you choose to simply not eat the worms, and instead let them belittle you because of their ignorance."

"They are not worms. I remind you of those we are looking for and what they have accomplished. They are human. Many rise to great power."

"Sure, sure. When 1 out of 100 thousand of them amount to something, I suppose that changes something. Oh wait, it doesn't! Lets say I cast consumptive field right now. How many people do you thing would die before someone actually resisted that? I'm willing to bet no less than 100. And even then it would be a guard that I just hit once, and then he would be dead. They're just a bunch of worms.

Seriously... she would be dead... she would be dead... The one with the 3 children, all four would be dead... That old guy would be dead..."

"Would you keep it down and remember where we are? We have more important things to do than argue this in the open street!"

"You fear too much. I would welcome anyone who tried to kill me." Turning to some random guy "You got a problem? You want some of this?"
[roll0]
They continue down the street with Blight cheerfully laughing at people.

Upon finding the library, Salazar stops and audibly gulps when looking upon the building. Blight elbows him in a joshing mannerism and whispers:
"I'm sorry I didn't show up sooner. Your humiliation alone makes this ordeal interesting enough to come along."

The two attempt to enter.

Just a note. If you remember Salazar's background, his soul is owned by Tiamat. He no longer serves her, but she still has ownership of his soul. I don't know what kind of effect that will have, but it's fun to think about considering...

Aneurin
2012-03-26, 05:24 PM
What was the roll, and why'd you make it?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-26, 06:18 PM
oh sorry, that was a intimidate check as blight threatened some random person.

Aneurin
2012-03-27, 05:37 PM
In that case, the only thing that happens is the man flinches away and the hostility becomes directed at Blight as well as Salazar.

Whoever touches the door, feels an unpleasant tingling spread up their arm and along it, then through the rest of their body. As they step inside, the tingling increases, and the other begins to feel it as well.

The sensation feels like it should hurt, but doesn't. It's nothing like the pain you'd expect for trespassing on ground sacred to Bahamut.

Looking around, you see great shelves filling the place where once acolytes of Bahamut spent time in prayer and meditation. They stretch up to the great dome above, still richly decorated with murals of Bahamut locked in combat with Tiamat, whose temple stands adjacent to his own - though the paint is cracked and flaking.

It seems that the walls have been knocked through and passages built, linking the building with its neighbours; the former temples of Tiamat and Chronepsis.

You don't have much time for examination, however, as a fussy-looking middle aged human in an aescetic's robes hurries towards you wringing his hands, with a frown on his face.

"I'm sorry, sir, but we do not allow any of the Old Races in here," he says, addressing Blight. "Your slave must remain outside. Just tie his leash to something, I'm sure no-one in their right mind want want a kobold of all things," he adds with a sneer.

For the record, you are aware of a number of other people in the library, and the sounds of the street outside still filter in through the closed doors.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-28, 02:44 AM
Upon opening the door, Salazar grits his teeth is surprise. He finds himself shaking slightly as this place puts him off guard.

Blight is also surprised, not expecting such a feeling in a place that is no longer a holy place. A look of surprise is visibly noticeable on his face until the man approaches.

After listening to the middle aged man, Salazar gulps and looks slowly at Blight. He knows this place has made them both feel... off. And this man just insulted both him and Blight. It is possible Blight may tear his throat out in full view of everyone else, not caring of the possibilities.

Blight, on the other hand, completely ignores Salazar. Inside him an anger boils, and for a moment he says nothing. But then he speaks in almost a hiss.
"You want my servant to go outside? You want my servant to go outside?.... LOOK AT ME WHEN I SPEAK!" He barks suddenly. If the man looks him in the eye, he needs to make a DC 42 will save or be dominated. "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? No, of course you don't. You wouldn't dare speak to me that way if you did. Nor would you ask my servant to leave. He will not leave. I need his assistance here. If you have a problem with it, I ASSURE you... you will regret it. He is going to stay in here, understand?"
In case he doesn't look or is immune or made the save,
Intimidate check [roll0]

"Now since you have volunteered, why don't you help me find the information I need. I am looking for anything on the warring wizards. Can you do that?"

Aneurin
2012-03-29, 05:52 PM
Sorry for slow update, weds was a really long day.

Ooh. He nearly made his save :smalltongue:

[roll0]

The man meekly bows his head. "Of course, I understand completely. If you would care to follow me?"

He leads you to a section near the back of the library; it seems it isn't visited too often, and is largely a collection of folk lore and old legends by the look of things. There's a thin layer of dust over everything. It takes up two adjacent side rooms, though, and your new friend directs you to the second room.

Your new guide clicks his tongue and mutters something about needing to send the cleaning staff in, then turns to you and indicates the shelves.

"If we have anything on the subject it will be here, I'm unsure of where, exactly, as this section is rather poorly catalogued. There's not much call for tales of the old days - we keep these here mostly because we haven't found a buyer for them yet.

Is there anything else I can do for you?" he asks, turning to leave.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-31, 12:41 AM
1) No worry about the delay. I understand how life gets.
2) My apologies for my slow response. I happened to check your post right after you posted the spoiler message and the dice roll, and it didn't notify me after you edited it. So I almost didn't notice you posted anything new.

"Well you seemed to know enough about them to lead us here, you must be a knowledgeable... fellow. What do you know about the warring wizards?"

Before he begins to respond, Blight turns to salazar. "Servant, start searching. Now!" He commands with a brushing aside hand motion . And with that he turns back to the man, possibly sitting or leaning on something.

"But I thought you were going to help..."
"SILENCE SERVANT! You know your task, get to it. If I feel I have the energy, I will search as well."
"..." Salazar angrily glances at Blight for a moment with an angry eye, then turns to the books and begins going over them. He casts comprehend languages and begins searching.

The duration of the spell is 190 minutes. He takes 20 on the search check, giving him 25. At that rate, he does a 5ft section every 2 minutes. So he should be able to search 95 sections that are 5 ft in volume.

Aneurin
2012-03-31, 07:57 AM
I wasn't actually going to mak you roll a search check - 'cause you can basically take 5 million here if you like. I'll get to the results of your search in the next post, probably.

"I know very little, I'm afraid. They're just a piece of folklore around here. Several hundred years ago, at least, there were two wizards lived in these highlands. They each had a tower here, but they couldn't stand one another. They fought for years and in the process destroyed and reshaped the Sanscarr Highlands over and over. One day, they just vanished. No-one knows what happened to them, or has heard of them since.

Those are the bare bones of the myth. Beyond that, I couldn't tell you more,"

CowMasterTrojan
2012-03-31, 01:36 PM
"Very interesting... well that is all I needed. You may leave now." Blight says as he gestures 'away' with his hands.

After he leaves, he turns in Salazar's direction.
"Several hundred years ago? I believe that old Wyvern has lost her mind and given you bad Intel. Either they aren't human, or it wasn't them."

"I don't know. Would you give me some time to look over these books. Or better yet, help? Either way, they are wizards. Extending your life by centuries isn't THAT hard."

"Right, but most aren't stupid enough to sell their soul."

"Hey, you know what? Shut up!" Salazar says before continuing his searches.

Aneurin
2012-04-01, 06:39 AM
Uh... you know that Cirkes told you to look for their tombs, right? :smalltongue:

The man bows and disappears through the door.

By the time you finish searching the room, you've found half a dozen books that outline the same basic myth your 'guide' related to you, just with varying levels of detail. You find very little in them to help you. However, you do at last locate a book called "Myth or Mystery - the Warring Wizards" by Eirin Sandbarr.

In it, is a detailed study of where the towers may have stood, and some speculation as to their origins, identities and eventual fates. While the author supports the theory that the wizards killed one another, he does make note of a tale that they are both now undead creatures locked in eternal battle, and references a number of strange occurences around the areas the towers were in.

The book says the most likely sites for the towers are on Aisolon Hill and Verchin Pass.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-01, 02:56 PM
Yeah, cirkes told me to find where they were buried. I kinda had a memory lapse. Consider it a conversation caused my Salazar missing out on a key detail when explaining everything to blight.

Salazar begins looking for a map so he can locate and travel to Aisolon Hill and Verchin Pass.

Realizing that Salazar is basically done, Blight wanders off to examine the area that used to be a temple of Chronepsis.

Aneurin
2012-04-02, 06:38 PM
Okay - wasn't sure if I'd been unintentionally cryptic or something.

Salazar locates the places on a map without any particular difficulty.

As Blight steps out of the room, however, he hears a scuffling sound from the room next to the one they'd searched, followed by the sound of something hitting the floor and the scent of fresh blood.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-03, 12:33 AM
Blight steps out of the room, contemplating whether he should level this building just because they have disrespected the dragon gods. He had no love for Tiamat or Bahamut, but to do this to their temple... it was sacrilegious. They should have destroyed the building and built over it, not just redecorated it. If he had the time, he pondered, would he see through the project of killing them all. His gut said no, but he would leave enough wights to finish the job. That was at least a satisfying thought.

Taking another step, his smile fades as he immediately turns his head in the direction of the other room. His draconic ears sharp as a adamant knife. The sound of someone being attacked. Here? Fascinating. But I shouldn't go in there, it will escalate. And the kobold would be SO mad at me. Besides, I would much rather spend time seeing what's left of Chronepsis' temple.

He takes another step, and then the smell hits his nostrils. BLOOD?!! It smells so good... I forgot to feed before we came into town. I have grown so accustom to the nurishment of the plane of shadow, I forget that I must do that more here. It smells so delicious... but I shouldn't. It will escalate.
Who cares, I'll keep it quiet. But... the kobold!
Forget him, he doesn't have to know. And even if he does, it's not your fault. It's your nature.
Yes, yes it is in my nature. I want blood, and I shall have it.
After debating with himself for a few moments, Blight fully turns and enters the other room. He wears no weapon, doesn't try to hide his steps, and his pale face looks almost ready to rage like a barbarian.

Salazar Begins copying the map and uses Amanuensis to copy the book. What are the names of the waring wizards?

Aneurin
2012-04-03, 05:24 PM
[Coughs] Totally didn't forget this was waiting for an update :smallredface:

There are a variety of names; Septimus, Algernon, Wilhelm, Anton, Aslo, Kanie, Hepsa, Yarin, Maler and Terin - there's no particular indication as to which wizard the names may belong to.

As Blight steps in to the room, he sees the man who guided Salazar and himself through the library lying on the floor in a pool of blood. He appears to be pretty dead, judging by the fact that his head's a good three feet away from his neck.

The books here are stored in untidy heaps - made more untidy by the creatures that are ransacking the shelves on the back wall. They're swaddled in thick fur-lined cloaks that obscure everything about them, but one of their hoods has fallen back, revealing a head that seems to be made from blue crystal - it is studded with spikes and has strange ridges and furrows. There are three figures, and they all seem to have human builds.

They don't seem to have noticed Blight, and as they go through the shelves they glances at the title of each book in turn then throw it down on the floor in disgust. There are loose pages fluttering everywhere from the ill-treatment of the books.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-03, 05:34 PM
more will come tonight. But just for reference, how big is this room? any obstacles between blight and the creatures. Also, what knowledge check to see if blight knows anything about what they are?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-04, 03:51 AM
Knowledge (Nature, religion, the planes or arcana) [roll0] +2 for arcana

Blight's cold eyes survey the scene for only a moment.
No head. Darn, I had hoped he was just bleeding to death. Now I'm hungry.
Blight uses a standard action to use alternate form to take the form of a Troglodyte. Those within 30 ft should quickly notice a stench. As a swift action, he activates his epic divine might feat. With his surprise round over, he makes his presence known.

"You have come for the book on the waring wizards, have you not? Bow down and recognize me as your new master, and I shall let you live. Or if you prefer death, come at me!"

With that, Blight adapts a very relaxed stance. Almost as if he is unprepared to be attacked. (Attackers gain a +4 to hit, but provoke a AoO with every attack.)

Initiative [roll1]

At the moment his AC is 34, Touch 22, Flat footed 34. He holds no weapons but has a bite and claw attack.

Aneurin
2012-04-04, 11:55 AM
You've never seen anything like them before, but have heard some vague tales about creatures of blue crystal from the remotest regions of frozen wastes of the South.

Please make 3 AoOs.

At your words, the three figures whirl and hiss at you in union, revealing inhuman, spiked crystaline features, and bound across the room to attack you.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-04, 03:47 PM
with that knowledge roll can i at least determine if they are undead or not? it they aren't, blight would use claw attacks because they bestow negative levels. if they are undead, he would use unarmed attacks.

AoO 1 [roll0]
claw damage [roll1]
unarmed damafe [roll2]

AoO 2 [roll3]
claw [roll4]
unarmed [roll5]

AoO 3 [roll6]
claw [roll7]
unarmed [roll8]

claw attacks bestow a negative level. However each negative level bestowed causes the victim to lose 22hp instead of the usual 5. The other normal penalties still apply.

Aneurin
2012-04-05, 01:08 PM
They're not undead. They're also nothing natural, either.

Without effort, Blight cuts down two of the creatures. They collapse, screeching and hissing into a pool of pale blood liquid that runs from their wounds.

The third creature, despite oozing from some fairly major wounds, scrabbles ineffectually at you - you easily avoid its attacks.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-05, 01:39 PM
[roll0]
[roll]1d6+35[roll]

[roll1]
[roll]1d6+35[roll]

[roll2]
[roll]1d6+35[roll]

Going to assume it's dead. Is the creature's blood red? If yes, then Blight shall help himself to a taste. If not, he will leave them be and survey the books they were going through, trying to get a sense of what they were looking for. (he has a suspicion)

Aneurin
2012-04-05, 02:05 PM
The blood is pale blue as I failed to say in the above post :smallredface:

The books on the shelves seem to relate to the far south, and are a collection of myths and legends from Fel'mass. The books on the floor are more of the same.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-06, 12:28 AM
"Curse you... I'm so hungry now... And you aren't even edible..."

He leans over and takes the corpse of the librarian, and gently licks the trickling blood from the stump that used to be his neck.
Yuck, it gets old so fast... Well I think I'll go have some fun now.

Blight casts invisibility and leaves the room of bodies to go back to the open room. He scouts out how many people are here, how many exits, and then moves on to examining the area of the building that belonged to Chronepsis.

Aneurin
2012-04-07, 04:53 AM
...how many exits for people, or how many for dragons? :smalltongue:

If required, a dragon could probably smash their way out of the building.

There are two dozen people in the library all told, but none of them seems to have noticed anything out of the ordinary. Most are in distant parts of the library. There's a front door in the temple of Bahamut (the main building), the doors to the temple of Tiamat and Chronepsis have been bricked up, although each temple has a backdoor still in place - presumably in case of fire.

Like the temple of Bahamut, the temple of Chronepsis has been converted to a library - where once clerics walked in contemplation, there now stand endless shelves, and dusty scholars wander amongst them. The ancient murals on the ceilings are worn and chipped, though there appear to be some efforts being made to restore them - or paint over them - to judge by the scaffolding in place. There are empty alcoves where statues must have once stood, and a neglected altar at the head of the room. One area of the temple has been cordoned off, and there seems to be some work going on on the floor - maybe an excavation. But no-one is there right now, and the work doesn't seem to have gotten very far.

As you walk through the temple, noses wrinkle and people look around as they catch your troglodyte stench.

[Also, you killed the creature quite spectacularly - essentially ripped it to pieces.]

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-09, 01:00 PM
Sorry for not responding, my RL may have gotten real messy. If you don't hear from me again soon, that's why. I haven't quit.

And i was curious about exits for humans incase i need to seal them off. Dragons don't use doors.:smallbiggrin:

Aneurin
2012-04-09, 03:57 PM
No worries. Real life wins every time, so just let me know when you're back.

Also, yeah, those are the people doors :smalltongue:

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-10, 01:42 AM
It's a matter of not knowing when I will be going, rather than being gone, it appears. Well at least I got a warning off.

Blight gives the excavation a better look. Is there anything to indicate why they may be digging in the middle of the temple?

You said no one is in the area, so Blight casts summon IV to summon [roll0] small earth elementals.

"Spread out and Search below this area for one minute. Bring me anything you find or news of anything you can't bring me." (Each one is around for almost two minutes, so that hopefully will be enough to bring back anything useful)
[I]Let us see if magic can do what man meant to do, in a fraction of the time...

Also, when this is over it is very likely he is going to murder someone who is off by themselves, draining them dry of blood.

Aneurin
2012-04-10, 01:41 PM
Ah, alright then. I wasn't massively awake when I posted, so you'll have to fogive me.

If you don't mind, I think I'll start re-recruiting in a week or two - when the current spate of epic games has died down. I'll keep your game solo until they play to a point when they can be added in. You may need the help later on.

There's no real sign of anything to indicate why they would be - they've just prised the flagstones up, and seem to be digging down in to the foundations. The missing flagstones aren't anywhere to be seen, though.

The earth elementals vanish down through the foundations. After a minute they reappear and inform you that there's a large chamber about thirty feet down. It seems to contain a number of sarcophagi.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-11, 02:05 AM
That's fine with me. Drop me a link when you make it, I wouldn't mind keeping an eye out on it.

His initial instinct to dimension door right in, Blight catches himself just at the last moment.

I have a kobold, and he can teleport much better than I. Plus whatever is down there is undead. He would be useful. Perhaps I shall summon him

Returning to the kobold, Blight casts message and then returns to the room.
"Salazar. I have found something we must investigate. Clean up the mess in the other room and meet me in the former temple of Chronepsis"

Nearly done copying the book, Salazar sighs with annoyance. He waits and finishes copying the book (It does a page a round), before heading out. Stopping by the adjacent room, Salazar jumps backwards and falls when he see's the carnage. But he is a wise creature, and notices the state of the headless man.
For once, Blight may not be to blame. He would never kill someone that way, let alone leave such a mess. Whatever these creatures were... Damn him, why didn't he say he was attacked.

Casting telekinesis, he searches the bodies and then moves the bodies all into one big pile. He casts disintegrate, destroying a 10ft cube of non living matter. The creatures almost seem to evaporate from the ray's power.

Hobbling through the Library on a makeshift rod/cane, he gives a dirty look to the other patrons with his one available eye. The hostilities combined with Blight's trouble are finally starting to get to him.

Entering the temple, Salazar immediately hears
"Took you long enough..."

"Excuse me... last time I checked I wasn't screwing around. I was doing the work that is important. The work you are supposed to help me with. Wait... why are you a troglodyte?"

"Believe it or not, I do have relevant information for you. But I'm only going to tell you if you help me here. There's a secret chamber 30 feet below. Let's teleport down there and take a look. Or else I don't tell you what I've learned. And what form I'm in is irrelevant. Let it go. "

"Figures" Salazar grumbles and casts dimension door over the instructed spot. Salazar and Blight teleport hopefully into the open chamber, and look around with their darkvision.

Aneurin
2012-04-11, 01:42 PM
Of course.

The bodies have nothing of interesting on them - a handful of silver and copper coins, and a few personal items as well as the fur lined clothing. The coins are Fel'mass make.

Your former guide has 13 gold pieces on him, but little else.

You receive a nasty shock when you teleport down there - it turns out the elementals weren't as accurate as you'd have liked. When they told you thirty feet down, they meant the ceiling of the tomb was thirty feet down. Fortunately it's not a long drop, and you land with everything but your dignity intact.

Looking around, the area is seventy feet long, fifty wide and about ten high. There are a number of richly decorated humanoid-sized sarcophagi around the edges. In the middle, there's a wide, open paved space with a statue of a dragon in the very centre. At the feet of the statue, is something in a display case. The ceiling there is significantly higher - maybe twenty feet. About where the excavation in the room above is, there's a ladder that climbs straight into the ceiling.

There is an oppressive feeling here; almost as if you're being watched, and a sensation crawls across your skin. Salazar feels a burning sensation all over his body - Salazar merely has a shiver run down his spine.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-11, 03:51 PM
Salazar casts detect magic and scans the area slowly, pausing to identify any auras he may find.

Meanwhile blight stands tapping his foot for a minute or two impatiently before finally approaching the object at the base of the dragon wirhout an ounce of fear.

Aneurin
2012-04-11, 05:58 PM
There's only one source of auras you can make out; the display case has an almost blinding aura that shifts between Divination, Abjuration and Enchantment. You think there might be a slight aura from the statue, but it's hard to tell.

The display case is covered in a layer of dust that makes it impossible to see the contents. The statue itself is of a particularly serene-looking dragon. As Blight approaches, he notices a growing sensation of awe tinged with apprehension. There's something not quite right about the feel of the room, particularly as you draw near the statue.

It's like you can hear something on the edge of your mind calling to you, whispering, but you can't quite make out the words.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-12, 01:12 AM
Now in a bigger area, Blight returns to his normal form. He stretches his wings and his head immediately slopes down to look at the display case. His curiosity all over his face. Very carefully he blows away the dust to see the object behind the dust, even using mage hand if necessary.

"Oh yeah... that thing is defiantly trapped. Some enchantment though, so you may be immune to some of it. But Abjuration is abjuration. I'm betting you take whatever is in there, and the statue comes to life. Maybe the corpses rise too, but I doubt it. No necromancy."

"Salazar... Do you believe in fate? Because I feel a sense of Awe here. I was meant to be here. And if I didn't join you on this mission, I never would have come here. And If I didn't worship Chronepsis I never would have come into the temple. And if the humans hadn't started a pathetic excavation, I never would have found this. I was meant to find this item. It was meant for me...."

"Right.... Well what is it anyway?" Salazar says, walking closer once Blight has finished blowing off the dust.

Aneurin
2012-04-12, 10:27 AM
Inside the case is a large orb, filled with a shifting, swirling silvery mist. As you gaze on it, Blight feels it calling to him, drawing him nearer to it. Salazar, on the other hand, feels a conflicting torrent of sensations; at one moment he feels the need to draw closer, the next he feels the need to leave, then to stay where he is, and many other instructions as well - but not one sensation lasts long enough to act upon it.

The orb is seated on a faded red velvet cushion within the crystal display case.

You don't *have* to act on these feelings, by the way. They're just feelings you have, and you know they're not your own.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-12, 05:03 PM
"Blight... this thing is bad news...Let's just leave it"

"No... I can hear it calling to me. I am meant to take this. Lets see if it even activates the trap when I take it"

With that, Blight opens the display case and grabs the orb, removing it.

A look of pain and shock fills Salazar's face, and then the two look to the Statue, expecting it to come alive.

Aneurin
2012-04-12, 06:11 PM
The orb comes away easily. As it lifts from the cushion, there's a click, and the cushion bursts in to flames. At once it becomes clear there was a very fine thread connected to the cushion, but buried under a layer of dust - it flares into life and burns with brief intensity, racing across the floor, up the wall and in to the ceiling.

There comes a muffled explosion, and the ceiling of the chamber becomes mazed with cracks. Then chunks of it start to slowly cave in, starting in the middle - a particularly large chunk shatters the statue in front of you, spraying you both with rock chips.

Blight: Reflex DC15 to avoid taking [roll0] points of fire damage from the flames.

Another reflex for Salazar and Blight to avoid the ceiling falling on them.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-13, 07:57 AM
Blight's two reflex saves
[roll0]
[roll1]

Salazar casts Celerity as a immediate action, then casts ethereal jaunt. Making him immune to being crushed to death.

wow. the roller doesn't like me today...

Aneurin
2012-04-13, 01:05 PM
Don't sweat it. It wasn't a massively high save DC anyway, given you had some warning.

Although I advise against rolling low in the future :smalltongue:

Easily avoiding the flames and then the falling rocks, Blight finds himself back under the ladder in the corner where he had come in, still holding the orb.

Looking at the ceiling, it seems obvious that the trap didn't function properly. You can see trailing fuses and what you can only presume are explosives mixed in with the rubble pile. It seems likely that the trap was supposed to bring down the whole ceiling, burying the chamber forever.

Salazar is stood underneath the pile of rubble, completely unharmed.

In Blight's claws, the orb's silvery missed has changed its swirling pattern. Now it spirals out from wherever Blight is in contact with it. It's almost inviting you to try and dominate it - to exert your will and take control.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-14, 04:39 PM
Blight stares at the orb for several minutes, rolling it around in his claw and simply staring at it. Finally he takes a quick look around, trying to estimate if he can move the rubble. It seems unlikely, so then he shall dimension door to the surface after calling out his intentions to Salazar.

Salazar, moves in and out of the rubble trying to get a better look at anything they may have missed. He then moves into the walls, trying to find any secret areas they may have missed. The area that the ladder just goes up into the ceiling is getting looked over as well.

Aneurin
2012-04-15, 08:39 AM
There's not a lot left in the chamber. It's mostly a giant pile of rubble, and unexploded explosives. There're some free spaces around the edge, and one or two tombs are still intact at the very edges, but that's about it. There's no trace of the statue in the middle, or the display case.

There are no secret areas at the edges of the room - it seems to have been remarkably well constructed, as the walls have suffered little to no damage. The only thing of interest is that the area of the ceiling the ladder reaches in to is made of hard-packed earth, rather than stone like the rest of the ceiling.

When Blight appears in the temple above, there are a lot of humans, elves, dwarves, halflings and the like milling around the edge of a very large area of collapsed flooring exclaiming about how the floor had suddenly fallen in, and speculating on possible causes. The sudden appearance of a blue dragon in the room, however, ends that and starts a lot of panicky screaming and people running away. The shouting seems to have caught on in other parts of the library, too, and you can hear people shouting for the guards in the distance.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-15, 01:17 PM
Salazar will look inside the remaining tombs for anything that may be of use. Then he shall head to the surface.

I'm sure it was just a mistake, but blight is a shadow dragon. Not a blue dragon. That was candycorn.

Upon seeing the humanoids grouped together, Blight knows he must act fast to prevent chaos.

With his surprise round (if you grant him one). he casts nerveskitter as a swift action and as a standard action breath weapons a 50ft cone of negative energy. All he can catch within it need to make a DC 42 Reflex save. Failure means 5 negative level, success means 2. Just as before, these negative levels make the victims lose 22 hp instead of the normal 5. All other penalties from negative levels remain the same.

Initiative [roll0]

Rounds to recharge on the breath weapon [roll1]

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-15, 01:31 PM
(If above turn was his surprise round)
Blight casts Greater Consumptive field. It is a 30ft radius emanating from the caster, so that means the diameter should be a 75ft circle. All inside the circle who have less than 9 hp, need to make a DC 32 fort save, or die.
He then uses his move action to run down anyone who may have gotten away.

Aneurin
2012-04-17, 12:28 PM
...huh. When did you post all that? Sorry for the delay, I didn't see it sooner!

Also, yeah, that was a typo - not a polymorph :smalltongue:

Also, do you want to just fast-track through your hunting of the low-level experts? We can do your hunt if you like, but don't expect much in the way of rolling. Or, you know, resistance.

People die. Lots of people. You kill everyone who was in the room, and take off after the others. There's a lot of fear in the voices of those who were out of range, or watching from the shelter of the door. You can hear cries of "Dragon!" and confused and fearful exclamations from people who apparently weren't watching the hole in the floor.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-18, 12:44 AM
I am all for skipping the pointless killing. If I could just get a estimate on how many people died from consumptive field, it may become relevant shortly because each killed person gives a +2 untyped strength bonus, and he will likely be trying to take the building down shortly.

Rising from the ground, Salazar gasps in horror of what he sees. He quickly finds Blight in the main room, slurping the blood of the last victim he found.
"BLIGHT! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE! HOW WAS I NOT CLEAR THIS NEEDED TO BE LOW KEY! DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'VE DONE?"

With a final slurp, Blight releases the body from his mouth. He makes a slight 'ahhhh...' sound and clears his throat. Looking around, he fails to see the ethereal kobold but chooses to speak anyway.
"Relax... This was a necessary response. I did not intend to be spotted, but the room that was clearly deserted when we went underground, but was filled with humans when I teleported up. I killed any who saw me. Any who escaped merely heard screams and ran. We will finish here quickly and leave, and within days no one will be saying the big bad D word."

"Yes... I can see how it would be easy to forget about dozens of people who died mysteriously and horrifically." Salazar snapped sarcastically.

"This is why you need me kobold. My mind is so much more sharp and organized, it's not even funny. When we leave, you cast greater invisibility on us, you shape-change into a dragon too, and we smash the heck out of this building. These were temples to gods of dragons, and they are using it for a library. It deserves to be destroyed. When the building collapses, everyone will assume they died that way, and before the truth is found out, in a couple of days every person who died from my claw or breath weapon will become a vampire spawn. A vampire plague will fall on this city, and it will cover the truth of the matter up. Because most mortals don't even realize dragons can become vampires."

"Yes... the scheming... you've had more practice... whatever. I suppose at this point destroying this place wouldn't really bother me. ... You know I was with a blue dragon that wanted to wipe out a city. She gave them a chance to avoid it, and waited a week. You have no predisposition against these people, and have slaughtered dozens in two hours. How I am supposed to work with this?" He grumbles, becoming normal again as he begins to walk to the original book room he was in.

"Stop your complaining. I will grab the books. You need to go check in the remains of the temple of Tiamat. See if there is a orb like this hidden underneath. I am a follower of Chronepsis and easily found this orb. Your soul is owned by Tiamat, and there is a temple just over there. Despite your bad history, Tiamat would still want your task to succeed and obviously recognize you as competent. There may be an orb for you too"

Changing course, Salazar turns briefly with his one good eye to Blight. "Fine. I will weather the five headed bitch's temple for the greater good. And what are you going to do?"

"Before this went down, I found those crystal creatures you disintegrated for me trying to destroy books concerning myths and legends from Fel'mass. I imagine its related somehow... Meet back here in a few minutes."

With that, Blight puts Blade barriers on the two main entrances to the building. He then returns to the room where he killed those creatures, recasts Hoard gullet, and swallows any books related to myths and legends from Fel'mass. He then returns to their original room and swallows any books that Salazar had used. The limit is 400 pounds and 40 cubic feet.

Salazar enters the Temple of Tiamat. He will look it over carefully but quickly. Because he doesn't have another ethereal jaunt memorized, he will shape-change into a mature adult white dragon (huge) and burrow (30ft speed) down in roughly the same location of the temple that the other Tomb was located in. After a couple dives down, if he doesn't find anything he returns to the main room.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-18, 01:05 AM
Sorry, that last post turned out way longer than I originally intended.

The plan to destroy the building is as follows. Salazar will put greater invisibility on Blight. With his enormous strength score, he will be destroying support walls and pillars, and generally trying to weaken the foundation. Meanwhile Salazar will burrow underneath the building and create a few large hollow spots. Once both tasks are complete, salazar will turn back into a kobold and cast greater invisibility while Blight casts invisibility on himself. Salazar will then cast Miracle, and use it to emulate a earthquake spell. (Such a use costs no xp). Once the earthquake begins, he will celerity-Dimension door the two of them to a safe area they saw on the way there.

With the supports destroyed and hollow areas of the ground collapsing, the building should come down quite nicely. If not, Salazar shall cast Summon Desert Ally 9, to summon [roll0] Dunewinders. They are essentially huge burrowing worms of destruction. He shall command them to destroy the building and anyone nearby. With a Int of 5, it will do a simple but effective job.

With creatures that are clearly not dragons being seen, they would return to the shadow plane and rest for 8 hours. After that they would hasten to the location of the first tomb on Aisolon Hill.

Aneurin
2012-04-22, 07:44 AM
So. Here's to hoping this post doesn't get eaten too.

Again, sorry that I didn't notice/fix sooner.

In total, Blight kills around forty people - thirteen with his breath weapon, five with his consumptive field, and the rest were hunted down mercilessly. He has a feeling that one or two may have gotten away, though, as it took him some time to reach and seal all of the doors. He also locates and swallows the books in the room without difficulty - there are about sixty of them, of various sizes, shapes and weights, which take up most of the spell's room.

Salazar doesn't see anything exceptional in the temple of Tiamat - like the temples of Chronepsis and Bahamut, it has been converted in to a library. Salazar's digging in to the floor reveals a human skeleton in the foundations, and another room like the one beneath the Temple of Chronepsis. This time, however, there is no orb and the dragon statue has five heads. Looking at the tombs, you realise they must be former High Priests. It seems there haven't been any interred in over fifty years.

The plan to demolish the temples goes off without a hitch. You teleport to a park on the way up the spire, and have a very good view of the walls slowly caving in on top of the city guardsmen who had come to investigate the disturbances at the library. You can practically see the ripple of dismay that runs through the crowd that has gathered as the library collapses.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-22, 01:56 PM
Salazar scans the room with a detect magic. If there is nothing of interest, he disintegrates the statue and leaves.

As Blight said, anyone who he killed with a breath weapon or with a claw attack, or that last poor soul who he drained dry of blood, all of them will rise in 1d4 days as vampire spawn. So potentially 35 vampire spawns roaming the streets with no master. The Dragon won't be on the city's mind long.

Upon destroying the Library, the duo returns to the Shadow plane and retires to Blight's lair. Once there, Blight uses Identify on the orb.

Salazar will look over the books regarding myths and legends from Fel'mass, looking specifically for powerful individuals. Before sleeping, he sends a message to Arculos via sending.

"Found info-Waring Wizards. Likely located at Aisolon Hill and Verchin Pass. Strange crystal creatures found destoying info on Fel'mass myths.
No longer working alone."
He then rests and re-memorizes his divine spells. (I shall change the memorized spells on his sheet tonight.)
The next day they go to Aisolon Hill.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-25, 12:54 AM
Also worth noting, the next day Salazar uses mind blank on himself and Blight. People may be looking for them now.....

Knowledge (history):[roll0] to see if Blight knows of any legendary figures from Fel'mass that are high in the scale of power and haven't been known to be permanently dead.

Aneurin
2012-04-25, 06:36 PM
What do you mean, 'high in the scale of power'? Like magical power, or political? Or economic, I guess.

Also, will do time jump after dealing with this (or, you know, ignoring it)

The Identify spell sputters for a while, tells Blight everything about everything without giving him any useful or intelligible information. Then it produces a huge flash of light from the orb that only Blight can see. As the spots fade from his vision, he's forced to one conclusion - the spell doesn't know what it is.

Blight gets the feeling of smugness radiating from the orb.

Salazar feels happiness, sorrow, shame and pride radiating from it. At the same time.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-26, 12:15 AM
When I asked I really meant a legendary warrior or Magic user, one whose death is not recorded, but obviously we're looking at a magic user and not a warrior if they were able to create those crystal blooded things. So magically powerful. One able to create new creatures, which points to arcane over divine. But I'm not exclusively set on arcane.

Blight eyes the orb carefully, fully appreciating the swirl of colors. After watching it for several minutes, he nods as if he heard it's demand for respect.

"I can sense your sentience... show me your power... it was meant to be."

A nervous looking Salazar watches from a few feet away. He doesn't like the orb, and he doesn't like the effect it has on Blight. Nor does he like the emotions he projects. Every time he glances at the orb, he contemplates disintegrating it. But he doesn't, the cost would be too great. Blight is too enthralled with it. Until it proves to be dangerous, he decides he will let it exist a bit longer.

If there is any check I can make to make the orb do something, or for somebody to figure out stuff about it, let me know. Otherwise Blight continues to keep it with him, in his hand/claw. And they continue on their way, appearing in Aisolon Hill invisible the next day. Obviously looking around for the entrance to the tomb.

Aneurin
2012-04-26, 08:00 AM
Alright. Don't have time to type a full Knowledge result up, but - there's no-one you can think of who had a tendency towards creating life, although there are (and were) one or two who might have managed it if they wanted to.

As for the orb - Blight is welcome to use it. He just needs to lay a claw on it and concentrate on trying to use it.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-27, 01:23 AM
Placing his claws upon the orb, Blight closes his eyes and begins to concentrate on using the power of the orb. He shuts off all thoughts other than that of the orb, and opens his mind to the influence of the orb. He then attempts to use the orb.

Alright, well feel free to take a few days off if real life is busy. Just don't forget about me. :smallwink: Whenever you're ready.... Aisolon Hill.

Aneurin
2012-04-28, 05:09 PM
As Blight begins to concentrate, the world seems to fall away. He finds himself inside the globe, surrounded by the swirling mists. There doesn't seem to be anything else there, except for a pair of claws that are gripping his own. Their colouring is impossible to determine; in fact, it's quite possible it is changing too fast to take in.

They seem to be... pulling him in?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-28, 05:13 PM
Blight continues to concentrate, allowing himself to be pulled.

What does Salazar see? Because if Blight starts to get sucked into the orb, that's not gonna go over well.

Aneurin
2012-04-29, 09:17 AM
Salazar sees Blight become stiff and vacant, and any attempts to remove his claws from the orb fail. The colours in the orb pulse and swirl.

Blight feels the other claws draw him faster and faster as he allows them to pull him. The mists swirl faster and faster and begin to change colour, becoming darker and darker until they are shadow-like constructs on the edge of Blight's vision. There's also a growing sense of evil and malevolence from the claws holding his.

Please would Blight and Salazar both make a will save.

If you would like to resist being pulled further, or pull back, then roll an Int check.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-04-29, 12:22 PM
Blight [roll0]
Salazar [roll1]

Blight's Intelligence check [roll2]

If Salazar is able, he aims a Disintegrate at the orb and fires.
Touch Attack [roll3]
Fort Save DC 27
Damage [roll4] or [roll5] on a successful save.

Aneurin
2012-05-01, 02:54 PM
:smalleek: Why did you do that? Are you sure you want to?

[roll0]

Ugh. Roll int again as a tie breaker.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-05-01, 03:11 PM
Int [roll0]

Alright, if that may be a bad thing I suppose lets pause and see if Salazar has any idea what's going on before he hastily tries to destroy it for fear of Blight's unlife.

Spellcraft [roll1]

Knowledge Arcana [roll2]

Knowledge Religion [roll3]

Aneurin
2012-05-01, 03:58 PM
It was powerful enough to stop an Identify spell, so it's not your run-of-the-mill cursed item. If it is, indeed, cursed.

Anyway, results of your rolls:
Blight is currently trying to communicate with whatever it is that's in the orb. What the outcome will be is less than certain at this point - you're just going to have to wait and see.

You're pretty sure this thing is intelligent to some extent. It definitely seems to be reacting to whatever Blight's doing.

[roll0]

Blight exerts his will and pulls back against the disembodied claws that are dragging him where he would not go. There's intense resistance for a moment, but then the pull ceases and Blight finds himself floating in equilibrium with the claws; neither seeking dominance.

Then, there's a voice. Or, rather, the memory of a voice. As if someone bypassed the tedious business of speaking and just left the impression of speech in his mind.

I am at your service. What is your will?

...Master.

All at once Blight can smell other dragons; metallic, chromatic and all the other kinds besides. All merging in to one great scent of Dragon.

Salazar sees the mists of the orb contract to a pinpoint and almost explode back in to the orb, flooding it with silver, before returning to its original stately swirling. Blight remains as he was, and will do so until he breaks mental contact with the orb.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-05-02, 02:16 PM
Inside the Orb, Blight lets out a tremendous laugh of triumph. Once again his determination is all that matters.

"Tell me what you are, and what are your capabilities! I command you to do so!"

Salazar recoils and stops his disintegrate spell at the last minute, noticing a small smirk on Blight's face. It can't be that bad if he's smirking.

Aneurin
2012-05-02, 05:04 PM
Normally I wouldn't step in to stop you doing something like that, but I felt you may not forgive me for letting you destroy a major artifact out of hand - as well as destroy a chunk of Blight's soul at the same time. Not enough to kill him, mind, just do some long-term mental ability damage.

Also, I strongly advise against failing those opposed Int checks!

Why, Master, whatever you please. I can show you the past; the present. I can turn you in to purest light and let you travel as you will. I can, of course, fulfill my purpose of calling dragonkind to you.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-05-03, 01:51 AM
Part of the problem is in sensing danger when there is none. Which wasn't the case here, Blight apparently was in danger, but none that Salazar could indicate. So you at least saying 'you sure you want to do this?' is enough to make me stop and make sure I'm looking at the evidence properly. Sometimes we, as players, can mess good things up simply because there is a level of certain level of meta-gaming we can't prevent. So what I'm getting at is "thank you", I was caught up in fear of the moment

"You did not answer my question. I asked what are you?

Further, is your purpose to call Dragonkind to your master? Or to me specifically? As in, if I was not your master then would your purpose still be to call dragonkind to me? How would you go about doing this? Do not show me, tell me."

Aneurin
2012-05-03, 01:08 PM
No problem. Just wanted to make it clear that I wouldn't try to railroad you - just warn you sometimes if you're about to do something really unhealthy without apparently realising it.

I am a tool of the humans, used to control dragons in ages past. Have you never wondered why dragons do not rule this world? That is my doing, as with those like me. The greatest of the humans came together many millenia ago to create something to protect them. To create us. We are the essence of dragon kind - all they are and more.

I bring them to my master, the one who controls me. As to how... why, I just call and they must come. Did you not hear my whispers to you, o my master?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-05-03, 02:02 PM
No problem. Just wanted to make it clear that I wouldn't try to railroad you - just warn you sometimes if you're about to do something really unhealthy without apparently realising it.

I am a tool of the humans, used to control dragons in ages past. Have you never wondered why dragons do not rule this world? That is my doing, as with those like me. The greatest of the humans came together many millenia ago to create something to protect them. To create us. We are the essence of dragon kind - all they are and more.

I bring them to my master, the one who controls me. As to how... why, I just call and they must come. Did you not hear my whispers to you, o my master?

"Can your powers force them to obey? Or does it just call them? When you take your master into the past, can he change things?"

Aneurin
2012-05-03, 04:14 PM
"They obey me. I obey my master. Unfortunately, I am not able to take you to the past; merely show it. The only thing in this world that can transport you to the past is the Forge of Time - and that has been lost in time since before memory begins."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-05-04, 01:36 PM
"Very well. You can show me the present? Can you show me locations or people in the present?"

Aneurin
2012-05-04, 05:43 PM
Of course. Who, or where, should I show you?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-05-08, 01:13 AM
Of course. Who, or where, should I show you?

"Yes, show me the wizard Algernon, one of the Waring Wizards. Algernon should be located somewhere in Aisolon Hill or Verchin Pass."

Aneurin
2012-05-08, 06:58 AM
Aisolon Hill or Verchain Pass...

Around Blight, the mist flickers with images - landscapes come and go, scenes of men, women, children in and endless variety of actions and poses flicker past. After what seems to be an age, everything halts and you're stood in a room facing a figure bent over a work desk. Suddenly it looks up, curses in a language you don't recognise, throws out a hand and snarls a word.

The next thing you know you're being hurled directly upwards, moved by magic far greater than your own, you fly through the ceiling and for several moments are subjected to an upclose view of a lot of dirt. At last you burst through the top of what turns out to be a hill and carry on until you're hovering about thirty feet above the ground.

During the whole event, you've felt a claw on your shoulder anchoring and holding you.

I apologise, o master. It seems I am unable to locate the wizard known as Algernon. The wizard Madrigal of Verchain Pass has blocked my divinations, and, as I'm sure you noticed, the wizard Alkon of Aisolon Hill has similarly been able to prevent our exploration.

They have grown considerably in power. the voice of the orb sounds amused.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-05-08, 07:20 AM
"You have done well enough. I saw the room... The wizard's name is Madrigal.... You have done well. Now take us back so that I might exit the orb for the time being..."

Aneurin
2012-05-08, 07:46 AM
There's the briefest sensation of release, and then Blight's back in his body - rocking slightly on his feet as he regains control.

Salazar, who has been anxiously watching on for quite some time, is presumably very relieved.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-05-11, 02:44 AM
Blight stretches some, and then lowers his head to Salazar's level, speaking at a very quiet level.

"The orb was made by men... to control us. But it has it's uses. It showed me briefly the wizard at Vernon Pass. His real name is Madrigal. So let us go to Vernon Pass first. We know he's there, let's pay him a visit. Get some answers."

"I still require rest...."

"Then do it. We are safe as we can be, here on the shadow plane, let us do this right and be fully prepared."

Salazar nods. "Alright, anything else you think I should know about the orb?"

"Yes... it's trying to take control of whomever uses it. My will is stronger than it, but perhaps just barely. I don't know what will happen if it were to succeed, but I know your will is much weaker than mine. So I suggest you never use it."

"Good to know."

The two rest and then Shadow walk to Vernon Pass.

Aneurin
2012-05-12, 06:23 PM
Sorry about the huge delays lately. I've picked up a habit of glancing at posts, thinking "I'm too tired to deal with this right now" and then forgetting about them the next day.

It's a clear morning at Verchain Pass; you appear somewhere on a hill overlooking the pass.

It's not really much to look at. There are mountains... then a gap in them. It is, however, unusual in that the gap appears to have been formed by someone blowing up a huge chunk of the mountain range. The surrounding landscape is littered with tuly enormous pieces of rock, and what you can see through the pass suggests that the other side is more of the same.

In the distance there's what looks like a caravan snaking across the landscape, although it's too far away and too slow for you to tell which way it's heading from your vantage point. Far to the south, you can see a couple of airships crossing the mountains.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-05-14, 02:22 AM
Yeah, I've done it myself. I kind of figured that was what was happening. It's all good. :smallwink:

(For reference, Blight has an extended invisibility on him at the moment.)

Looking around, the two scan the area for anything that might appear to be a cave entrance for a moment.

"How disappointing..."

"Please, you can't tell me you didn't see this coming. They're supposedly lost to history for a reason."

"Please tell me you don't plan on just burrowing around all day. Because that is really boring..."

"Better than using the orb, you know, because it might eat your mind or something. But let's try a little divination before we do this the old fashioned way. "

Making a slight show of it, Salazar casts find the path. He specifies the lair of Madrigal. With any luck it will direct him to the easiest path there.

Aneurin
2012-05-17, 08:50 AM
The spell works. Perhaps surprisingly, considering who you're looking for. The spell produces a glittering trail in the air that you can follow quickly and easily in to the hills next to the pass.

It takes some time, but it eventually leads you through a series of narrow, twisting defiles and ravines to a series of rocks arranged in a loose circle, each with an arcane rune inscribed on it. The glittering trail runs in to the centre of this circle and then vanishes.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-05-24, 01:00 AM
Following the invisible line, Salazar quickly leads them to the circle of runes. He bends over where the line ends.

That's odd... a secret passage of some sort must be here.

"You have got to be kidding me.... Can you not see all the tiny runes that circle around you? You're in the middle of a teleportation circle!"

"...I didn't see those. Well I guess that would explain why the line disappeared in the center."

"...If I wasn't here, you would be the last hope of Dragon kind. This frightens me."

"Yeah, now it also rests in the claws of a blood thirsty Vampire dragon from another plane. Dragon kind really put forth it's A team here. Cut me some slack, I just didn't spot the runes. We all don't have eyes like an eagle!"

"Don't insult my vision. But you have a point. Perhaps our kind does deserve to die. Most of us are arrogant selfish beings who don't work well with others. Not exactly a race that pulls together in a time of crisis."

"Present company included I hope you mean. Otherwise that's like the orc calling the ogre stupid and bad smelling."

"HA! You know why an orc doesn't call a ogre stupid and bad smelling?"

"Other than the fact he's too stupid and bad smelling to realize it?"

"Yeah. Because the ogre has longer arms and stronger muscles.

....what? you don't like that one?"

"No! No! I do... really, I just heard it before. Yes, that is why... It's a shock value joke. So... I'm having a bad day or something. How the heck do you activate this circle?"

Spellcraft [roll0]

"Seriously....? Blah Blah Blah, I can cast time stop and wish but I can't operate serious magic tools. RIDICULOUS!"

Blight moves into the circle, attempting to activate it.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-16, 07:11 PM
So did you just forget about this one? Or did life just overwhelm you? I will admit, I forgot about it some too.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-02, 12:57 AM
Alright, well I'm going to delete my subscription to this dead thread in a few days. I assume it's dead.:smallfrown: