PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Input on a New Undead Template

Dr. Yes
2012-01-16, 02:03 AM
Last night I got the idea for this pretty gross vampire-like undead variant. I think I want to put them in an upcoming campaign, but I'm pretty new to DMing and I'm not sure if I've got the numbers balanced. My question, mostly, is this: does this template deserve +1 CR? Should it be +0, or even +2 or more?

Aldimah

Aldimah are abominable undead creatures who hide in shadows and feast upon the blood of the living. Victims and carriers of the terrible Bloodrot, aldimah become unaging vessels for the illness by marking themselves with a set of deep ceremonial cuts which bleed ceaselessly.

"Aldimah" is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid. An aldimah uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

CR: +1
Type: The creature's type becomes undead (augmented).
Alignment: Any evil.
Ability Scores: Dex +6, Cha +2
Hit Dice: As undead, aldimah use their Charisma modifier to determine bonus hit points (instead of Constitution).
Senses: An aldimah gains darkvision 60 ft. and low-light vision if it didn't already possess it.
Special Attacks:
Blood Drain (Su): An aldimah can suck blood from a grappled opponent; if the aldimah establishes or maintains a pin, it drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution damage. The aldimah heals 5 hit points or gains 5 temporary hit points for 1 hour (up to a maximum number of temporary hit points equal to its full normal hit points) each round it drains blood. Victims of this attack must make a Fortitude save equal to 10 + 1/2 aldimah's HD or be immobilized for 1d6 rounds. Those who fail this save are afflicted with the following disease:

Bloodrot: injury, save Fortitude DC 20, onset 2 days, frequency 1/3 days, effect 2 Con damage and -2 to all actions, cure Remove Disease
Special Qualities: An aldimah gains +5 to its Stealth skill in areas of low light and an additional +5 in complete darkness.
Weaknesses:
Ever-Flowing Wounds (Su): An aldimah has six large gashes on its upper arms, thighs, and chest which bleed constantly unless it is starved, as well as empty pupils which keep its eyes a bloody red and from which it bleeds immediately after feeding. These wounds are vulnerable to attack, expanding the range for critical threats against the Aldimah by 2 for all weapons and spells.

When the aldimah has not fed using its Blood Drain attack for a full week, it grows ill as if afflicted with Bloodrot. Its wounds close, but it gains a cumulative -2 to all actions for every three days that pass until it feeds again. When it does feed, these penalties are removed and its ceremonial cuts re-open. If its penalty from this affliction equals or exceeds the opposite of its Charisma score, the aldimah dies. Unlike normal Bloodrot, this affliction cannot be removed except by feeding or by the spells wish, limited wish, or miracle.

Thanks for any advice!

DonDuckie
2012-01-16, 06:23 AM
Semantics:
HD: Change racial HD to d8, class HD unchanged. Do they keep class abilities?
Abilities: as an undead an aldimah has no constitution score.
it's the negative of its Charisma score(not opposite)

Clarifications:
Sensens: do they keep the senses they had before(can they smell if they don't breathe)
You should probably make their Blood Drain save DC dependant on an ability score. Maybe charisma, this makes advanced templated specimens tougher.

The "immobilized for 1d6 rounds" should specify the condition, most likely 'paralyzed' or 'unconscious'. immobilized is not a condition(at least that I can find), and as such has no way of being countered(eg. remove paralyzis or "kick-him-awake"). Rules geeks like me might say it also has no effect:smallamused:

It looks good, it makes me think of the ubervamps in Blade 2.

CR +1 seems okay to me.