PDA

View Full Version : Of what do you dream?

Grinner
2012-01-16, 01:06 PM
I've been thinking about dreams recently, and I've thought that another perspective is needed. So, please, share any particularly memorable dreams or thoughts on dreaming here.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-16, 01:11 PM
A few nights ago I dreamed I was sent to the 55th dimension. It was weird.:smalleek:

Maxios
2012-01-16, 01:27 PM
Years ago, when I was but a wee lad, I had a dream about zombies in a mall; before I even heard of the movie or that game.

A few days ago, I had a dream that I had to walk from NoCal to SoCal to get the family car to pick my mother (who for some reason in this dream, was in NoCal).

Lord Raziere
2012-01-16, 01:33 PM
Last night I dream that I gone to this white house in the woods with my father….then somehow found this tube built into the house, I tried to climb into the tube, but it didn't work, so I got out and walk someplace else where I saw a little girl and this strange bug flying about for no reason.

:smallconfused:

Nix Nihila
2012-01-16, 01:51 PM
Out of curiosity, what prompted this thread?

I have a lot of dreams about dying, and the occasional dream about killing, which is always very odd. In these dreams I'm usually someone else. A few months ago I dreamt I was a Yuki-onna who froze suffering people to death (out of mercy, I suppose). There have also been more malicious killing dreams, but I won't go into those.

I also have a lot of dreams about art. Some of my better ideas for pieces of art have come from dreams. I dream up galleries, sculpture gardens, and runway shows quite regularly. Unfortunately, I can usually only remember a few pieces after I wake up.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-16, 01:53 PM

Neil Gaiman maybe?:smallwink:

Dr.Epic
2012-01-16, 02:33 PM
Genie.:smallwink:
Get it?

Tyndmyr
2012-01-16, 02:35 PM
I played Dungeon Defense(xbox game) until...6am last night. From like...4pm. Played it all night in my head until I woke up. Whenever I find a brand new, addictive video game, it's totally like this. =)

Grinner
2012-01-16, 03:47 PM

I try to keep a dream journal and wanted to see how constant the themes of dreams are among different people.

Kurgan
2012-01-16, 04:51 PM
Well, a few months back, I had a dream where I was taking a class on the History of the Star Wars Galaxy. The first assignment was to play a game in the professors personal arcade [located in a two floor area directly outside of the lecture hall], and I had forgotten to play it! So I snuck out halfway through class to try the game.

The machine was set up so that it would give you your coins back after you fed them in, and boy, that and the fact that it was an assignment were probably the only reason someone would play this game. The game was Star Wars: Deep Sea Missile Launcher, though only the first level took place in the sea. The machine had about 15 buttons, at least two joysticks, a viewscreen, and two or three radar screens.

The plot of the game was: you are working for a mining company, that gathers and refines material from asteroids. Your job is to fire missiles at asteroids in order to break them into more manageable sizes. The problem is, you need to calculate the asteroid's current location, its speed, your speed, the direction you each are moving, and so on, so that you can program where you are going to fire the missile on an X-Y-Z axis. The viewscreen is useless, since the asteroids are mostly too far away to see, so you need to do this entirely based on radar.

Oh, and don't forget, missiles cost money, and the company isn't paying you to miss! You miss too often, you get fired from the job!

Level 1 is the only level taking place in the sea. In this level, you are in a pressurized suit and dropped to the bottom of some ocean world, presumably to find treasure. Big thing I remember was seeing a Gyrados, panicking, and firing all of my missiles at it, causing a giant swarm of them to rip me to shreds, causing me to lose.

Fun dream overall, main reason I remember so many details is because of the dream journal I keep. Always fun drawing out maps of how I remember things looked in the dream.

Partof1
2012-01-16, 06:12 PM
Like a week ago, I dreamt that Ulfric Stormcloak burned down my house.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-16, 07:24 PM
Do you ever think nudists dream of being in a public location fully clothed? I bet they wake up terrified at that thought.:smallwink:

Tragic_Comedian
2012-01-16, 07:26 PM
Music, a lot of the time.

Kindablue
2012-01-16, 07:43 PM
Velociraptors.

noparlpf
2012-01-16, 08:34 PM
I didn't used to dream often, but in the last year most of them have involved zombies or my ex. Lately, I've been dreaming about my ex a lot. So that stinks. But last time, a few days back, somewhere in the middle it turned into me leading a small team of rebel mages (or something) to defeat some god-emperor and (in our minds) save the world from his tyranny. It was kind of like a disjointed dream version of the ending of the first Mistborn novel.
And then there's the crazy dream I had last night. Last night I had a neat dream that didn't involve my ex at all. Something about a New Year's party playing Wii Sports tennis and then I turned into a god-kraken. Then I had to save the world because I accidentally started the end of the world in the process of turning back into me from being said god-kraken. I knew it was okay though because apparently I had done this before. So then I set of on a journey to a friend's house where she had some kind of underground bunker where she could turn on some kind of machine to forestall the end of the world, giving me time to save it properly. But she had to die to use the machine, so I guess it was a good thing I was going to save the world. Apparently I could bring her back to life. And then there was a tower going up from another room in her basement. (This tower must have been extradimensional, or the basement was, because the tower didn't show up outside the house.) So I start climbing this crazy-tall rickety wooden tower that's like ten miles high (slight exaggeration). And at the top I come out into a huge room with a smaller tower in the center and rows of narrow ledges around the edges that spiraled up to a little walkway across to the top of the central tower. So I had to edge along these six-inch ledges around and around a dozen times to get up there, and there was some guy with a sword chasing me around it and people with sixty-foot spears down at the bottom trying to stab me. And then when I finally got to the top, some guy from school was there and he teleported away with whatever I needed to get to save the world. Then, suddenly I had teleported somewhere too. It looked like a minecraft mountain for a minute, and there were a couple of big golden coins floating in the air like the medals you need to collect in games. So I grab the one right there, jump off the hillock I'm standing on to grab the second, somehow landing on my feet from a twenty-foot drop, and the world shifts from minecraft-pixely-mountain to normal-mountain. And then my mother is there telling me not to jump off of things because I'll break my legs. So I ignore her, as usual, and start heading across the valley to the other mountain to get the last gold coin. Then I see my father leading the way along some mountain path and to another rickety wooden tower (this one I can see the top of). The inside of this tower is like my dad's shed. And then I finally got to the top and got the third coin, which was around ten feet away from the top of the tower and required me to jump off of the tower to grab it, and then I saved the world.

Dumbledore lives
2012-01-16, 08:45 PM
I dream about normality, but mainly real life that is slightly better than my own, things happen that I want, I see people I wouldn't otherwise, and life is great. Then you wake up and realize life is not that near perfect false world, but it is still pretty great.

Incidentally I also have very few nightmares, only two I can remember, one involving Darth Vader from when I was like 5, and the other involving killing someone with a car, which is a tad different from a traditional nightmare.

thubby
2012-01-16, 09:01 PM
violence. inflicted by me, generally.

what its on varies. zombies, shadow creatures, mostly fantastic monsters and the like.

Gnoman
2012-01-16, 09:04 PM
Had a strange one the other day. Dreamed I was Nancy Drew. I never read a Nancy Drew book. Very confusing.

Starscream
2012-01-16, 09:06 PM
Had an interestingly elaborate one last night. I was some sort of secret agent, and I had to steal something (dunno what) from an office building.

I got in by telling the security guard that my car broke down and I needed to use the phone. When he opened the door I knocked him out and stole his uniform.

I knew the elevators had security cameras, so I climbed a ton of stairs. It got kinda video-gamey at this point, as these bouncing grenade-thingies kept coming down the stairs, and I needed to dodge them.

By the time I got to the top, the dream had retconned itself into being in a hotel now, and I was there to prevent the assassination of a guest. I stole a waiter's uniform this time, and tried to get the assassin to drink some drugged coffee. It didn't work, so instead I rode the dumbwaiter to the guest's room (why it would go there I don't know).

I talked to the guest (I think it was a real-life actor, but I don't remember who) and convinced him to use the dumbwaiter to escape while I waited for the killer. The assassin showed up and knocked on the door, and when I went to answer he started to shoot through it, and I just got out of the way.

The dream ended with me and the killer talking to each other through the bullet-ridden door. He either thought I was the target, or that he was still in the room with me, and I was trying to keep the ruse going long enough for the real target to escape. Don't know what my plan was after that, probably either escape with the dumbwaiter, or hope the cops showed up soon after people heard the gunshots.

Pretty dumb and silly, in retrospect, but its so rare that I have a dream with a "plot" that is even slightly sensible and consistent.

Othesemo
2012-01-16, 09:09 PM
I have lucid dreams on an almost nightly basis. What I dream about is determined entirely by whatever happens to strike my fancy on that particular night.

Science Officer
2012-01-16, 10:05 PM
Just this morning I had a dream where I used a light switch, and I was remembering how they said in Waking Life that that wasn't possible, that if you're in a dream you can't adjust light levels. Well take that! I can too!

Coincidentally, the rest of that dream (which I see no need to discuss at length) was remarkably sensible (whereas my dreams normally don't make a lot of sense) and this prompted me to consider keeping some form of dream log. Keen minds think alike, OP. Or something.

Feytalist
2012-01-17, 02:42 AM
I very, very rarely remember my dreams anymore, but I used to dream a lot when I was still in school. I generally dreamt about mundane, day-to-day things, but a few things always stayed the same:

I always knew it was a dream. I'd walk through my school halls (for instance), just waiting to wake up.

Complete lethargy. In my dreams, I could barely keep my eyes open. I almost couldn't even walk. In one case, I lacked the strength to turn a simple doorknob.

For a while when I was about 15, I had a recurring dream. I just remember flashes: first an image of those featureless white store manikins, followed by a flash of drawn images, as if from a comic book, black and white with thick pencil lines. Over and over. I've always wondered what that was supposed to mean.

These days, I don't dream. Guess I sort out all my thoughts before I go to sleep, heh.

Kindablue
2012-01-17, 07:36 AM
Just this morning I had a dream where I used a light switch, and I was remembering how they said in Waking Life that that wasn't possible, that if you're in a dream you can't adjust light levels. Well take that! I can too!

Worst super power ever?

Grinner
2012-01-17, 09:56 AM
I just woke up and had had a pretty intense dream.

The dream started out on a beach and would occasionally switch to the viewpoint of a patron in a restaurant.

Anyway, on the beach, there was a collection of students waiting to go home after a school trip, but men with guns appeared and hustled them into a room. If they didn't comply, they would be killed. They then killed one student just to make their point. I still remember the look on the African girl's face.

What followed was the pursuit of the gunmen as they attempted to recapture an escapee, and some other guy's attempt to assist her escape.

Occasionally, my viewpoint would switch back to the restaurant scene, where I possessed an actual body. Usually, I'd see someone from my past or a celebrity. Then, I'd either say "Hi" or, in the case of celebrities, be a total ass to them. Also, MapleStory pancakes were on the menu.

Most importantly, I don't remember actually hearing any sound. I knew what was being said, and I knew what was being heard. But, there was no sound.

Traab
2012-01-17, 11:24 AM
I have all sorts of dreams. I frequently dream I am a part of various video games movies or books I was recently thinking about. For instance, a semi common dream several years back was that I was physically part of a kedge keep raid in Everquest. For those who dont know, kedge keep is an underwater dungeon, so it was a very unusual dream, with plenty of air pocket caves underwater.

I always hated my active dreams because I wake up feeling tired and sore from all my "physical exertion"

noparlpf
2012-01-17, 11:28 AM
It's really weird to wake up not sore when I dreamed real pain. Like the other day. In my dream I had a few cuts that stung and my arms and legs were aching, and then I woke up feeling fine. It was weird.
I also tend to feel less rested after a night of active dreaming, but I feel rested so infrequently that it's hard to tell if that's from the dreaming or just because I don't sleep well.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-01-18, 03:57 PM
I keep dreaming that I meet myself. I talk to Other Me for a while, and then things heat up, and it always ends with one of us killing the other in some awful sickening way. This makes me worry.

violence. inflicted by me, generally.

what its on varies. zombies, shadow creatures, mostly fantastic monsters and the like.
This happens to me as well, but against people instead of shadow monsters. I just kill them for no reason, and wake up feeling ill. :smallfrown: :smalleek:

Zaggab
2012-01-18, 04:18 PM
Two nights ago I dreamt I was undergoing surgery. When the surgeons opened my stomach, intraperitoneal fat just started pouring out of the opening, so that the surgeons couldn't work because of all the fat.
As I lay watching the procedure, all I could say was "Sorry, I didn't mean to". It was such a shame, because I had been looking forward to seeing my own intestines and poking them.

Talk about embarrasing.

Haruki-kun
2012-01-18, 04:42 PM
I rarely dream. Or rather, don't remember my dreams, for all you people who will tell me that everyone dreams but some people don't remember them.*

Last night, though, I did. I dreamt that I was being kidnapped. And it was not pleasant at all. I woke up panting and all stressed out before realizing I was dreaming.

*Myself included, cuz I'm nitpicky. :smallwink:

SDF
2012-01-18, 05:13 PM
Electric Sheep

Drascin
2012-01-18, 05:14 PM
Normally, I dream in stories - an young Mayan kid trying to save his slave friend, a Jamed Bond-like secret agent against a villain, a science fiction story that really had more from Ringworld than I would be able to write down without lawyers eating me, The Thing-like suspense horror... basically, I tend to dream with a plot.

That, or velociraptors eating me vividly. That seems to be quite a recurring dream. In an unrelated note, I have a bit of insomnia :smalltongue:.

Fredaintdead
2012-01-18, 05:15 PM
Generally, I dream of being a powerful hero in some way, or of the end of my loneliness. Sometimes both.

Ancano
2012-01-18, 05:25 PM
I dream of imaginary friends. Waking up and realizing that they don't exist is the worst feeling.

Grinner
2012-01-19, 09:06 AM
I rarely dream. Or rather, don't remember my dreams, for all you people who will tell me that everyone dreams but some people don't remember them.*

*Myself included, cuz I'm nitpicky. :smallwink:

Honestly, I do that too. It's sad, since they're normally quite interesting. Or in one case, I spent the entire dream thinking out a problem I had with a project on which I had been working. Woke up, and forgot the damn solution.

Traab
2012-01-19, 09:14 PM
Honestly, I do that too. It's sad, since they're normally quite interesting. Or in one case, I spent the entire dream thinking out a problem I had with a project on which I had been working. Woke up, and forgot the damn solution.

I wouldnt trust dream logic anyways. According to my dream logic, by jumping, and then landing, i could use the force and momentum to make myself leap even higher. By the time I was done I was long jumping across basketball courts. ABOVE the baskets.

noparlpf
2012-01-19, 09:18 PM
I wouldnt trust dream logic anyways. According to my dream logic, by jumping, and then landing, i could use the force and momentum to make myself leap even higher. By the time I was done I was long jumping across basketball courts. ABOVE the baskets.

But that does work. Not to that degree, of course, but if you jog a pace or two, hop, and jump up, you can jump a lot higher than you could by just jumping straight up.

Coplantor
2012-01-19, 09:36 PM
Lots of things, rarely do I ever dream of the same thing twice.

One of my best dreams started with a giant robot attacking a city, lots of DC superheroes and birdman defeated it and handed it to justice. Immediately, a trial followed and the robot was to be judged. Everyone in the court room felt that the trial was rigged since pretty much everyone at jury was a robot.

People started yelling, throwing insults, the whole thing was out of control untill one of the jury robots stood up and told everybody there: "Please, do not judge us by our horrible robot faces, and please, look at us as if we were gods!"

All of a sudden, a big truck smashed through the door and opened it backdoor, a thing that can only be described as a transvestite secretary anthropomorphic octopus walked out from it and the dream was over.

Traab
2012-01-19, 09:37 PM
But that does work. Not to that degree, of course, but if you jog a pace or two, hop, and jump up, you can jump a lot higher than you could by just jumping straight up.

I know that... now that Im awake. Im just saying that according to dream logic, there wasnt any upper limit on the skill. Apparently I can jump 50 feet across and 20 feet in the air and land easily just by bending my knees. So dont trust solutions that appear to you in dreams.

golentan
2012-01-20, 01:58 AM
I often dream weird, cosmic stuff. Beings who don't fit neatly into 3 dimensions. Gods and aliens and demons fighting for control of the world tree. Taking a shower with stars instead of water, and entropy as the drain in the bottom of the tub.

Last night, I took a guy out barhopping so we could talk about my time traveling antics and how things had changed 500 years from now. Our bartender was Vishnu, and we drank only the finest distilled hope.

PallElendro
2012-01-21, 03:39 AM
I was a 6'2" elf paladin, Elendro Elessedil, on the boss fight of a lifetime.:smile:
Along with 5 companions, we set off to a dungeon far in the north. As party leader, and since the encounters at the other 4 areas were done, we headed into a large, prison-like gate, with godly wards and epic abjurations.

Once inside, I feared for the worst on the inside. The job was simple. Execute the prisoner. Except he held up a fight. Minutes went by as potions and healing spell power was used to keep life up in the party. Shattered mettle and bent metal, I warped myself enough that I had super power and super speed when performing a whirlwind of sword strikes on the creature. That's when the backup plan was put to motion: Combat Maw.

Magic combined with arrows from magic bows, and powerful melee breaking through what the magic arrows already cracked. A rain of Brilliant Energy arrows, a brutal shot from the Perfect Hunters' Bow, myriad power-spells put in motion, and exceptional strikes of a Holy Avenger bastard sword and a Saradomin Godsword to break and stagger the entity. Then, a simultaneous convergence of arrows, swords, and sorcery. Soon enough, the sound barrier was broken by the shrieks of death throes, as I masterfully stabbed the creature's chest in. The deed was done, and my group was renowned as mortal and immortal saviors.

Then, I woke up.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-01-21, 11:38 AM
I was a 6'2" elf paladin, Elendro Elessedil, on the boss fight of a lifetime.:smile:
Along with 5 companions, we set off to a dungeon far in the north. As party leader, and since the encounters at the other 4 areas were done, we headed into a large, prison-like gate, with godly wards and epic abjurations.

Once inside, I feared for the worst on the inside. The job was simple. Execute the prisoner. Except he held up a fight. Minutes went by as potions and healing spell power was used to keep life up in the party. Shattered mettle and bent metal, I warped myself enough that I had super power and super speed when performing a whirlwind of sword strikes on the creature. That's when the backup plan was put to motion: Combat Maw.

Magic combined with arrows from magic bows, and powerful melee breaking through what the magic arrows already cracked. A rain of Brilliant Energy arrows, a brutal shot from the Perfect Hunters' Bow, myriad power-spells put in motion, and exceptional strikes of a Holy Avenger bastard sword and a Saradomin Godsword to break and stagger the entity. Then, a simultaneous convergence of arrows, swords, and sorcery. Soon enough, the sound barrier was broken by the shrieks of death throes, as I masterfully stabbed the creature's chest in. The deed was done, and my group was renowned as mortal and immortal saviors.

Then, I woke up.

We should hang out. :smallbiggrin:

DarkLightDragon
2012-01-21, 12:13 PM
Dreams seem to be pretty common for me. I get multiples each month, and have been for a couple of years, usually relating to what game is currently my favourite. For example, most of my dreams from the past few months have been in the TF2 universe or related to TF2 in some way.

Lord Raziere
2012-01-21, 06:22 PM
all you people get the cool dreams. all I ever get is me constantly bouncing off walls, talking drawers or schools with people riding bike-desk hybrids in them. :smallannoyed:

Coidzor
2012-01-21, 06:23 PM
Tentacles. Everywhere. The horror. The pony horror.

Coplantor
2012-01-21, 08:57 PM
I keep a record of some of my best dreams in my blog but, well, it's in spanish.

danzibr
2012-01-21, 09:13 PM
Several years ago (like 7ish) I used to have several dreams every single night. In fact, I used to write them all down on xanga. It seems to be coming back lately. I remember one elaborate dream that started with me being chased by people and ending with me challenging God (but it was really just a demon that looked like Ifrit from FFVIII).

I've been writing this story for something like 8 years now, and just recently I had my first dream about it. In my dream at the end I remember thinking I could even put it into my book.

Also just last night I had a dream I was playing DragonVale (an iPad app).

danzibr
2012-01-22, 08:27 AM
I just remembered. Very often I have dreams where I have mental powers. Usually levitation and telekinesis, but it's really hard to make it work. I can only float a couple inches off the ground, and my telekinesis is usually weak or doesn't work.

Archonic Energy
2012-01-22, 09:26 AM
Electric Sheep

i'm glad i wasn't the only one to think of answering with this... :smallbiggrin:

Zaggab
2012-01-22, 12:17 PM
Last night I dreamt I was doing an exam. One problem was really weird and hard to understand. The questions to that problem were like this:

a) What do most people do when they get a problem like this?

Answer: Look at what the person next to you has written.

b) What happens then?
Answer: The teacher sees you and executes you on the spot.

(The teachers were dressed kind of like nuns, with rulers that doubled as swords - kind of like that priesthood in Guilded Age (http://guildedage.net/))

There would probably be a lot less cheating if it worked like that.

Elfinor
2012-01-25, 09:54 PM
My most common dreams are about me being angry and completely irrational, shouting and/or fighting with random people that I know. Usually not even someone I'm particularly angry with in real life. It is extremely rare for me to have an angry exterior in real life.

My second most common dream theme is that I have, or am supposed to have, a superpower (usually flight) and it starts failing on me.

Another curiosity is that just under half of my dreams take place in my primary school, even though the last time I've been there was 9 years ago. I have dreams that I can remember usually once or twice a week.

...I have a feeling my dreams look like textbook dream analysis examples:smalltongue:

noparlpf
2012-01-25, 10:19 PM
Once I had a dream where my ex was an apple.
Loads of room for dream analysis right there.

Mauve Shirt
2012-01-25, 10:22 PM
I have a dream blog (http://dreamlogincolor.blogspot.com) you can read. Haven't updated in months, now that I don't have time in the morning to update before I forget my dreams. :smallfrown:

Comrade
2012-01-30, 12:45 AM
Just last night I had a dream in which I engaged in a long, interesting phone conversation with a woman whom I apparently knew a fair bit and regarded as a friend, but whom I knew only as 'The Australian'? :smallconfused:

It was weird.

And I was sad when I woke up.

She sounded nice.

Riverdance
2012-01-30, 05:07 PM
My dreams are usually normal but whenever I dream about my classmates they are trying to kill me, which is weird because I love my classmates. I have also had dreams in which my sister tried to knife me with a cloth rotary cutter, which is like a pizza cutter but sharper.

Sturmcrow
2012-01-30, 09:22 PM
Just this morning I had a dream where I used a light switch, and I was remembering how they said in Waking Life that that wasn't possible, that if you're in a dream you can't adjust light levels. Well take that! I can too!.

That is actually how I tell if I am dreaming, if I am lucid I try to turn on the lights. For me it doesn't work properly, either no light change or much later the light level would change.

Dreamed the night before last about my ex asking to work things out with me, the reason for that dream should be obviously. Several dreams centered around on her lately.

No other real memorable dreams for me lately.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-01-30, 09:29 PM
There are people who remember sounds from dreams? I don't think I've ever had a dream with audio.

Gnoman
2012-01-30, 09:41 PM
There are people who remember sounds from dreams? I don't think I've ever had a dream with audio.

Interestingly, I've read a large number of highly reputable psychology textbooks that absolutely insist that all dreams are purely visual, in black and white only.

Grinner
2012-01-31, 07:12 AM
Interestingly, I've read a large number of highly reputable psychology textbooks that absolutely insist that all dreams are purely visual, in black and white only.

Hmm? I remember having dreamt in color.

noparlpf
2012-01-31, 12:31 PM

Huh. I have definitely dreamed in color.
Now, audio...wait a minute. I often remember talking to people in dreams, but I don't know if I actually "hear" the words being exchanged.
Whoa.

In other news, last night a friend told me that the night before last she dreamed she saw me in the school bookstore. Which is crazy because yesterday I was in the school bookstore doing pretty much exactly what she dreamed I did.

Asta Kask
2012-01-31, 12:36 PM
I dreamed I was committing suicide.

noparlpf
2012-01-31, 12:49 PM
I dreamed I was committing suicide.

I did that a few years ago. It was really uncomfortable and I was super-weirded out for several weeks. Couldn't even look at a knife without shuddering.
Are you okay?

Asta Kask
2012-01-31, 02:03 PM
As okay as I ever am these days. Thanks for asking.

Gnoman
2012-01-31, 08:54 PM
Hmm? I remember having dreamt in color.

All my dreams are in color with at least five active senses. I really don't know where the textbook authors got their research, but, on the other hand, these are definitely not quacks either.

Cyrano
2012-01-31, 09:20 PM
My dreams are generally a rather banal scene, such as listening to a conversation between two acquaintances, coupled with an intense and unrelated emotion, such as blindingly powerful dread.

One of the few dreams I recall that seemed actually linked to the feeling it gave me took place in my first home, although in the dream it was a dilapidated New England mansion as well. The whole thing was predictably Lovecraftian from there. I was, in the dream, probably around 13, seated on the floor of the living room, in front of a long window through which one could see the ongoing storm. A woman, in the dream a distant relative of some sort, whose face kept changing, was teaching me about my family history. I was flipping through a series of baby pictures, all of them sepia toned and obviously ancient. Eventually, I realized I hadn't been really hearing a word she said, as I was too engrossed in the pictures. Mainly I was trying to discern why every single baby in the pictures was obviously gripped with overwhelming fear. They were all crying, to such a degree that it seemed like it must painfully distort their faces, and they were all slumped in exhaustion. The woman stopped talking. I ran through her last words in my head, and she had apparently said something along the lines of "and that's why our family has come to nothing good, and why all the men die so young." At this point I realized that, in the backgrounds of the pictures, there were various things going on that were just physically wrong. There was a window that, opened wide, protruded from the insides of the walls a great distance away - like a weird Portal - a tree that ignored the usual laws of reflecting light, and was apparently made of something like cartilage instead of bark. Creepy things like that, basically a succession of baby-mocking threats, at which point I woke up and calmed myself down mostly by getting amused at the overwrought gothic vibe my brain had decided to experience. That was a neat dream, actually.

Riverdance
2012-01-31, 10:48 PM
I was told that one of the indicators that you're dreaming is that you won't be able to read anything. Supposedly all the word will just blur together. I believed it until one day (night) I clearly read and understood words of a page in a book during a dream.

Ancano
2012-02-01, 01:37 AM
I dreamed the other night that I met the most awesome person ever. I still miss them, as weird as it sounds.

RabbitHoleLost
2012-02-01, 01:50 AM
I have recurring dreams about being chased by a pack of raptors in public places.

thubby
2012-02-01, 01:53 AM
I have recurring dreams about being chased by a pack of raptors in public places.

thats no dream, its a premonition.
our raptor masters merely bide their time >.>

Velarias
2012-02-01, 02:21 AM
I have had some wierd dreams.

I once dreamed i was the secretary of something when i get A phone call from a terrorist threatning to detonate bio bomb. The voice belongs to Albert Wesker:smallconfused:

Ive had another that starts at a mall cafeteria. Men appear grain sacs over there heads bats and crowbars in hand, one has a large grey dog with him. They decend violently on the occupants killing them brutaly. Finally the one with the dog slams a large piece of wood down on a child carrier, and takes of his mask to reveal my face.:smallfrown:

Lastly i actualy wrote a poem while sleeping about a man wrongfully accused of murder. Turned it in to my english teacher two months later and got an A minus. Though i cant remember the dream that went with it.:smallwink:

Mauve Shirt
2012-02-01, 06:10 AM
I have a reoccurring dream of Doctor Who ending up in the Terminator universe after Judgement Day and trying to fix everything.

noparlpf
2012-02-01, 06:39 AM
I was told that one of the indicators that you're dreaming is that you won't be able to read anything. Supposedly all the word will just blur together. I believed it until one day (night) I clearly read and understood words of a page in a book during a dream.

I'm pretty sure I've read and written things in dreams. But then, just like with the sound issue, I might have just known what the words were supposed to say and not actually read them.

Coidzor
2012-02-01, 05:31 PM
^: Indeed, I've had a couple of dreams where I was reciting the Raven in my best rendition of this narrator (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlgQQgDhH7U).(I, sadly, do not have a delightful baritone reminiscent of James Earl Jones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXU3RfB7308). :smallfrown: Though I did manage to get my freshman English class to ask to turn the lights down and have me read the entire thing aloud, back in the days when that I was and a little tiny boy)

...That reminds me, I had a dream a few days back where I caught a brief glimpse of you chasing a bunch of terrified con-goers while dressed as Harley Quinn and astride a raptor.

Was sort of like that one scene from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey where they're in hell and are in that catacombs of doors each leading to a horrifying way to spend eternity. No offense.

Another one of them opened up to a poker game between the forum avatars of Phase, Rawhide, and Zeb the Troll. And someone else but I've since forgotten whose it was or what it looked like.

In short, I think I spend entirely too much time on this website. :smalleek:

AtlanteanTroll
2012-02-01, 07:06 PM
Aww, man. Those dreams about killing yourself sound horrible. I remember I had a dream where I had my left leg chopped off, and when I woke up, I was freaking out. I was drenched in sweat and screaming my head off. I had to make sure my leg was still there.

Coidzor
2012-02-01, 07:43 PM
Aww, man. Those dreams about killing yourself sound horrible. I remember I had a dream where I had my left leg chopped off, and when I woke up, I was freaking out. I was drenched in sweat and screaming my head off. I had to make sure my leg was still there.

I think the last time that happened to me it was my right or left hand and when I came to I started screaming and freaking out because I couldn't feel my hand.

Turned out I had been resting my head on it when I passed out and it had fallen asleep and either the blood flow was significantly more cut off or I'd never had a limb fall asleep for that long on me, because the feeling of not having a hand was very real and very, very painful for the next 5 minutes and it was sore for a good half hour before I could go back to bed. :smalleek:

noparlpf
2012-02-01, 08:01 PM

I'm a pretty chill guy, so I don't scream (unless somebody jumps out at me in the dark going "RARGH"; I once accidentally dropped a 100-lb girl by punching her in the throat when when did that to me). But the time I dreamed I killed myself was awful. It's really hard to dream pain, but I dreamed myself slowly slipping away into darkness as my blood seeped out...not pretty.

I think the last time that happened to me it was my right or left hand and when I came to I started screaming and freaking out because I couldn't feel my hand.

Turned out I had been resting my head on it when I passed out and it had fallen asleep and either the blood flow was significantly more cut off or I'd never had a limb fall asleep for that long on me, because the feeling of not having a hand was very real and very, very painful for the next 5 minutes and it was sore for a good half hour before I could go back to bed. :smalleek:

Once I woke up and couldn't feel either arm or move them at all. Freaked me out so much. Turned out they were just super-asleep or whatever, but it was a scary experience. It's since happened a couple of other times but I didn't freak out those times because I knew what was going on.

Terracotta
2012-02-01, 08:12 PM
When I was about eight years old, I had a dream that I looked like the Alien, only I was blue and had a human face. I was a member of some sort of criminal rebel group and my friends and I were walking through an industrial facility. Lots of metal, pistons, catwalks and so on. We came to this little sort of observation deck with padded yellow siding, but right when we stepped onto it, vaseline started coming out of the metal. If your hands touched it, the bad guys would fingerprint you and you'd be captured. Sadly, I had to leave my friends for dead and jump off the platform.

I slid through this tunnel-esque room that was made of more of that yellow upholstery, rather like being inside a large, artificial Swiss cheese. I came out in a sort of foyer. The whole thing was covered in crappy blue carpeting, the kind you find in movie theaters and public high schools. I saw one of my friends with a strange woman and tried to get them to help me, but neither of them recognized me and brushed me off. I ran into a dark tunnel, but right when I came out through the other side and into another carpeted hallway, I was captured by floating headlight drones.

That was the first half. The second half is trippier.

RabbitHoleLost
2012-02-02, 05:19 PM
Oh. I have Playgrounder dreams from time to time.
Once I dreamed that I was getting married to Lioness.
Another time, I dreamed about delivering a package to Angel Sword.

Weird stuff.

Coidzor
2012-02-02, 05:59 PM
Oh. I have Playgrounder dreams from time to time.
Once I dreamed that I was getting married to Lioness.
Another time, I dreamed about delivering a package to Angel Sword.

Weird stuff.

You mean the most adorable combination of playgrounders that doesn't include the two of you and Dragonrider, you mean? :smalltongue:

Orzel
2012-02-03, 03:41 AM
Just woke up. And I actually remember the dream.

Apparently I promised to work for my nonexistent sister who is a dancer and the NYC police commissioner who happens to look like an undertaker i know.

The commish offered holidays off, health insurance, and all the unlimited ammo P90 Personal defense weapons I can shoot.

The imaginary sister offered... all her dancer friends in the troupe.... and the other groups that we defeat in competitions, and a sword that shoots palm size griffins.

And the streets was crawling with candy monsters and a few zombies.

Zaydos
2012-02-03, 03:58 AM
Most recent dream I can remember?

I was at a party with my (non-existent) girlfriend; apparently things were going downhill between us. I was talking to her football playing brother (who was a completely different phenotype than her) about knee injuries. I've actually been thinking about my old knee injury a lot recently.

Other dreams I had one recently where I met Toshirou Mifune (famous actor who played samurai). Also a dream with mirror creatures, though I can't remember any of the details only that I noticed something about mirror creatures later in the day and thought "Oh like the dream I had last night".

As for senses: varies, color is almost always present, writing is a fair bit (if kanji is present it is almost always the kanji for fire), sound is normal, and most dreams have the other senses although I don't always take note (as in real life). I used to have lucid dreams, but those got boring and I tried to make myself stop and I didn't have dreams for a while. Now I normally know I'm in a dream, but suspend my disbelief.

Durmegil Guldur
2012-02-03, 03:59 AM
Normally I find that I don't dream (or at least remember doing so) until after I've had a few hours of sleep, woken up, and then dozed back off again (so - on the rare occasion I can get a lie-in). My dreams generally run the full spectrum from normality throught real-seeming post-apocalyptical dreams, all the way to extremely crazy and unrealistic things. Normally, when I realise that I am dreaming and attempt to take any sort of control of the dream, I simply awaken.

Oddly, things from the waking world can echo in my dreams. Two examples are from when I had been up for too long playing CoD4 Multiplayer, when I could hear grenades landing around me in my dreams (not that it was relevant), or when there was a message sitting unread on my wife's phone - every five minutes, the "message received" tone would sound and make it into my dream.

The Succubus
2012-02-03, 06:07 AM
Had quite a nice dream last night.

I dreamed I was in my parent's backgarden and it was a sunny day and all these different animals kept visiting. There was a thirsty fox that kept trying to work the hosepipe tap on the outside wall, so I turned it on for him and he looked adorable having a drink from it. There was also an otter there as well. It had dug a little hole in the flower bed and was rolling around and playing in it.

noparlpf
2012-02-03, 01:34 PM
Last night I had a dream involving a giant rabbit disguised as a hill. There was a family of carrots living in a burrow in this hill, and I was trying to help them figure out why members of their family kept disappearing. It turned out it was a plot by the mother carrot, who kept feeding husbands to the rabbit-hill. Then it turned out that the rabbit-hill was double-crossing her and was actually feeding off of her too. Then two of my friends started screaming and throwing things at each other so I decided it was time to wake up.

Das Platyvark
2012-02-04, 11:44 PM
I had an extremely unsettling one the other night after going to sleep thinking about the Slenderman. I closed my eyes and was about 80% asleep when I saw this incredibly vivid close up a man's face, in perfect detail and color-but someone I've never seen before. I woke up with the definite feeling there was someone standing just outside my door.

Haruspex_Pariah
2012-02-05, 12:08 AM
My recurring dreams involve being lost somehow. Or trying to follow someone and losing them. Or being late to go somewhere.

Like one time I was in a huge shopping mall with an impossible number of escalators that criss-crossed each other. Or when I was following my siblings in a parking lot (on foot) and I lost sight of them. Another variant is where I'm driving a car looking for a place and I feel like I'm just circling around pointlessly.

Way back, about ten years ago, there was that one dream about a forest full of corpses that caused me to wake up in a screaming panic, but I've never had one quite like that again.

Velarias
2012-02-06, 11:52 PM
I had an extremely unsettling one the other night after going to sleep thinking about the Slenderman. I closed my eyes and was about 80% asleep when I saw this incredibly vivid close up a man's face, in perfect detail and color-but someone I've never seen before. I woke up with the definite feeling there was someone standing just outside my door.

I really wish you hadnt mentioned the slenderman.because i had to google it. And now i deeply regret it.:smalleek:

noparlpf
2012-02-07, 10:00 AM
I really wish you hadnt mentioned the slenderman.because i had to google it. And now i deeply regret it.:smalleek:

*Googles*
Reminds me of Jack from Nightmare Before Christmas. Except he didn't have tentacles.

PallElendro
2012-02-09, 06:41 PM
*Googles*
Reminds me of Jack from Nightmare Before Christmas. Except he didn't have tentacles.

If you think Slenderman is scary now, look up MarbleHornets on YouTube. Pretty realistic stuff!

Coidzor
2012-02-10, 02:09 AM
Then watch Concrete Giraffes and lose your ability to ever be scared of him again.

passons
2012-02-10, 10:59 AM
I was dreaming about another honeymoon in Hawaii

Coidzor
2012-02-10, 01:07 PM
I dreamt that I had ended up in the military somehow, and so had one of my former bros who had left me for a woman who was advised that she might as well start charging, and so when we encountered one another he pointedly refused to acknowledge my existence until we got in a fist fight and had a tear-streaming bro-off and were on our way to a broconciliation before we got thrown in the broig and I woke up.

The word bro was uttered more times in that dream than I think I've heard since it became a thing.

PallElendro
2012-02-11, 02:58 AM
Tentacles. Everywhere. The horror. The pony horror.

I can see where that was heading.

Grinner
2012-02-11, 07:35 AM
Last night, I dreamed that I died. The last thing I heard was,"Hold on for a second. I've gotta smother this one."

Coidzor
2012-02-11, 07:41 AM
I can see where that was heading.

Madness, Fire, Cthluhu, the usual.

danzibr
2012-02-11, 09:05 AM
I had a weird dream a couple nights ago. There's a girl in my Japanese class (and I have absolutely no interest in her) that wanted to talk to me. So she sat me down, told me she'd make me a sandwich, then said I was the most gorgeous thing she'd ever seen. I told her that I'm married and asked if she'd still make me that sandwich.

Then I walked off and saw my sister in-law shooting a film where my mother and brother were playing these military people shooting (like, with guns) some nasty squishy alien things. Kind of like Starship Troopers but with small squishy aliens.

danzibr
2012-02-11, 09:06 AM
I dreamt that I had ended up in the military somehow, and so had one of my former bros who had left me for a woman who was advised that she might as well start charging, and so when we encountered one another he pointedly refused to acknowledge my existence until we got in a fist fight and had a tear-streaming bro-off and were on our way to a broconciliation before we got thrown in the broig and I woke up.

The word bro was uttered more times in that dream than I think I've heard since it became a thing.
Are you serious? This is interesting.

Yora
2012-02-11, 09:10 AM
Oddly enough, the probably most common motives in my dreams are walking through huge houses, and going to bed.

Riverdance
2012-02-11, 10:07 AM
I'm a pretty chill guy, so I don't scream (unless somebody jumps out at me in the dark going "RARGH"; I once accidentally dropped a 100-lb girl by punching her in the throat when when did that to me). But the time I dreamed I killed myself was awful. It's really hard to dream pain, but I dreamed myself slowly slipping away into darkness as my blood seeped out...not pretty.

Once I woke up and couldn't feel either arm or move them at all. Freaked me out so much. Turned out they were just super-asleep or whatever, but it was a scary experience. It's since happened a couple of other times but I didn't freak out those times because I knew what was going on.

Both of these things have happened to me. After playing a suspenseful game of firestalk (where one tries to stalk into a fire circle without being seen) two people jumped out at me. The first scared me and put me more on edge than I already was. When the second jumped out I put her in a headlock and was about to throw her on the ground before I came to my senses. I was also growling the whole time.

Last night I dreamed a couple really evil cops were chasing me, and that a suspension bridge fell on one of my mentors, but that he survived.

Dr.Epic
2012-02-11, 01:14 PM
I've been playing so much solitaire recently that it's infiltrated my dreams.

Draconi Redfir
2012-02-11, 01:42 PM
A recurring theme in many (but not all) of my dreams seems to be desperately needing, but being unable to find a bathroom. Either the door doesn’t lock, won't close, or doesn't exist, the toilet is clogged, in the middle of a wide open public area, otherwise broken or doesn’t exist, and/or the entire bathroom itself is either out of service, broken, or doesn't exist. So I’m basically running around entire buildings trying and failing to find a stinking toilet so i can get rid of yesterday’s lunch. It's not even my real state affecting my dream state; i wake up feeling perfectly fine, not even needing to use a bathroom in the slightest.

The settings are always different and the dreams always start out well enough, in some I’m the avatar, in some I’m in a shopping mall, in some I’m at work in a business suit, but for some reason the dream just boils down into a bathroom hunt. it seems as if the dream world is completely and utterly devoid of any decent bathrooms.

noparlpf
2012-02-11, 02:02 PM
I've been playing so much solitaire recently that it's infiltrated my dreams.

My life.
After hitting a win streak of 1000 in Freecell I switched back to draw-three Klondike. Lately I've been playing Hearts, but that's not really a solitaire game...
(When my computer broke last week, I played Klondike with real cards. :foreveralone:)

Coidzor
2012-02-11, 04:33 PM
Are you serious? This is interesting.

Why is this interesting?

Lord Raziere
2012-02-11, 06:53 PM
For some reason I dreamed I looked at some book….and it was filled with….I don't know….some pictures and charms of the sun….I think Sidereals….with charms about the sun…..why would sidereals get charms about the sun? that makes no sense, Solars get sun charms, not Sidereals….

Grinner
2012-02-11, 07:09 PM
For some reason I dreamed I looked at some book….and it was filled with….I don't know….some pictures and charms of the sun….I think Sidereals….with charms about the sun…..why would sidereals get charms about the sun? that makes no sense, Solars get sun charms, not Sidereals….

You're obviously the Chosen One. :smallamused:

Dsurion
2012-02-11, 08:43 PM
Last night I dreamed about playing a crossover between Dynasty Warriors and Skyrim. It was awesome :smallfrown:

Also, I have been playing too much Dynasty Warriors and Skyrim.

LadyOfWar
2012-02-11, 10:05 PM

I have heard sounds in my dreams and I dream in vivid color. The colors in my dreams are somehow more real than the colors in life.

Many of my dreams come in series, each building upon the last. One that has recurred since the age of five (and possibly younger) is a series of dreams where I'm learning to fly. I now can fly at will in all of my dreams.

Castaras
2012-02-12, 09:35 AM
I dream in colour. I don't remember sounds though, although I hear them in the dream.

My dreams are weird. Some of them are normal every day "post on the forums dum di da" and I wake up going "Wait, did I post that or not?". Others are epic tales of adventure and murdering and pillaging and plundering and such.

Recently they've been of the latter kind, which is awesome.

noparlpf
2012-02-12, 09:39 AM
Speaking of dreaming in audio, while I was still semi-conscious last night, I started having some legit auditory hallucinations. Every time I realized I was starting to fall asleep and "actually" hear things, I'd wake up.

Asta Kask
2012-02-12, 09:56 AM
Back when I could still work as a scientist, I dreamt insecurity nightmares all the time. I was either naked at work, struggling to find my clothes or doing a 5th-graders' math exam and discovering I couldn't 2 and 2.

warty goblin
2012-02-15, 12:51 PM
Last night I dreamed I was a pagan warrior woman on a quest for vengeance against the theocratic government that had murdered my parents during a zombie apocalypse. At one point there were dancing wood faries, followed by a lot of fire and horrific machete based violence.

Last night was weird.

Hazzardevil
2012-02-15, 01:15 PM
I had a strange dream recently where I was basically living the plot to red faction Armageddon, only I wasn't Alec Mason, I was someone else and the hero of the revolt went crazy and started yelling we must drop all the resistance fighters one at a time into the middle of the enemy stronghold to die with Alec Mason going home to become a dirt farmer.

I had another dream a few years ago about living in a tunnel system underground with superman and Kylie Minogue being my parents and Sepiroth being my uncle. Then one day me and Sepiroth go deeper underground to find my lost little brother, we then go into a huge underground cathedral and find several corpses covered in blood with signs they have been mutilated with chainswords and claws. We go up to the altar to find my brother who is wearing space marine armour from warhammer fighting with Light from death note in chaos space marine armour, both armed with a chainsword and a chainaxe each.

My brother has his head cut off with a sword and then me and Sepiroth fight Light. Sepiroth is impaled immediatly and then I pick up Sepiroths sword and it gets cut through by the chainsword and the chainaxe bites into me and I die painfully.

I have strange dreams.

Pika...
2012-02-15, 11:38 PM
I dislike dreams myself. They are so nice, but you eventually wake up. I have been given everything I have ever wanted in my dreams, just to have it taken away in a flash as I awake. The feeling is quite saddening. :smallfrown: