PDA

View Full Version : Quick Monk Question

LTSearchEngine
2012-01-16, 02:04 PM
Wizard's words item properties pretty carefully in general, but have I found something unintentional?
The Rain of Hammers ki focus has this property:

Property: Whenever you reduce an enemy to 0 hit points or fewer, one enemy adjacent to you takes damage equal to 2 + this focus’s enhancement bonus damage.

Great, I just popped all the minions next to me. That seems clear. What doesn't seem clear, however, is whether the attack needs to be made WITH the ki focus or not. It looks to me like I could be making implement attacks with my dagger, and still triggering this ki focus property, because it doesn't say HOW the enemy needs to be reduced to zero hit points. Thus, this property appears to be a constant effect (like +1 item bonus to AC), rather than a property riding on an attack (like +1d10 damage on a crit when using this weapon).

What say you?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-16, 04:00 PM
Wizard's words item properties pretty carefully in general, but have I found something unintentional?
The Rain of Hammers ki focus has this property:

Property: Whenever you reduce an enemy to 0 hit points or fewer, one enemy adjacent to you takes damage equal to 2 + this focus’s enhancement bonus damage.

Great, I just popped all the minions next to me. That seems clear. What doesn't seem clear, however, is whether the attack needs to be made WITH the ki focus or not. It looks to me like I could be making implement attacks with my dagger, and still triggering this ki focus property, because it doesn't say HOW the enemy needs to be reduced to zero hit points. Thus, this property appears to be a constant effect (like +1 item bonus to AC), rather than a property riding on an attack (like +1d10 damage on a crit when using this weapon).

What say you?

I don't know about your question, but I felt the need to point this out.

LTSearchEngine
2012-01-16, 04:46 PM

When you reduce an adjacent enemy to zero hit points, the property triggers.

If you use the power on an adjacent minion, he takes damage.

If a minion takes damage, he is reduced to zero hit points or less. (According to the rules compendium.)

When you reduce an adjacent enemy to zero hit points, the property triggers.

Hence, minions adjacent are toast.

NecroRebel
2012-01-16, 04:48 PM

Not really relevant, since the ability autokills any minion it targets, and that kill triggers the ability again. As such, drop 1 thing and all minions adjacent to you die... Assuming you know which enemies are minions, of course.

Anyway, most weapons and implements specify that attacks have to be made with the item in order to get their properties. This one doesn't, and probably shouldn't; ki foci give their properties to other weapons you wield. Aha! Found some relevant text:
However, you must choose to use the enhancement bonus, properties, and powers of the ki focus, rather than the weapon you’re wielding, or vice versa. You can’t use both when you use a power.This means that if you're wielding another magic weapon, you must have used the ki focus's enchantment rather than the weapon's in order to get the effect. On the other hand, if you kill a creature with an implement other than the ki focus, you actually do get the property, because the ki focus doesn't require you to drop a creature with it and other implements don't overwrite the focus as weapons would.