PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Master: the Class (WIP, input wanted)

qwertyu63
2012-01-17, 08:35 PM
The Dungeon Master
"Almost any fool can fight their way through an adventure. It takes a true artist to create one."

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+0|Dungeon (250x250), Gate, Champion
2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+0|Quick Passage (Once per day), Sight, Skim Knowledge
3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+1|Dungeon (250x500), Spread Rumor
4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+1|Hand of Death
5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+1|Quick Passage (Twice per day)
6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+2|Dungeon (500x500), Rebirth
7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+2|Gift of Life
8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+2|Quick Passage (Thrice per day)
9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+3|Stop
10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+3|Dungeon (1000x500)
[/table]
{table=head]Level | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
1st | 1 | - | - | -
2nd | 2 | - | - | -
3rd | 2 | 1 | - | -
4th | 3 | 1 | - | -
5th | 3 | 2 | - | -
6th | 3 | 2 | 1 | -
7th | 4 | 2 | 1 | -
8th | 4 | 3 | 1 | -
9th | 4 | 3 | 2 | -
10th | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1
[/table]

Hit Die
d4.

Requirements
To qualify to become a dungeon master, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Skills
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 8 ranks

Alignment
Must be Neutral on one or both axes.

Other
This class may only be take by NPC's

Class Skills
The dungeon master’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Disguise (Cha), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Listen (Wis), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Speak Language (N/A).

Skill Points at Each Level
5 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the dungeon master prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Dungeon Masters are proficient with all simple weapons. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield.

Spells
A Dungeon Master casts arcane spells which are drawn exclusively from the Dungeon Masters spell list. He can cast any spell on this list without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must (see below).

To learn or cast a spell, a dungeon master must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a dungeon master’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the dungeon master’s Wisdom modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a Dungeon Master can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Dungeon Master. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Wisdom score.

Each dungeon master must choose a time at which he must spend 1 hour each day in quiet contemplation or supplication to regain his daily allotment of spells. Time spent resting has no effect on whether a dungeon master can prepare spells.

Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a dungeon master need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell on the dungeon master spell list at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.

Dungeon (Su)
A Dungeon Master has control over a small plane, known as his Dungeon. This plane is 250 feet by 250 feet at level 1, and grows larger as more levels are taken. Within this plane, any spells cast by the dungeon master do not use up spell slots (He must have spell slots of that level, but they don’t need to be open). Any attempts to do damage to a dungeon master within his Dungeon will always miss. While within their Dungeon, the dungeon master can see any part of the dungeon from any part of the dungeon.

Gate (Su)
A Dungeon Master can, once per day, open a path into his Dungeon known as his Gate. This takes 1 minute, during which time the dungeon master must hold his hand on the wall he is opening the entrance in. Once this time is up, the wall morphs to create a passage leading to a room within the dungeon master’s dungeon. This Gate, once created, remains for one year/level of dungeon master or until closed by the dungeon master. A dungeon master may only have 1 Gate at a time. While a Gate is open, the Dungeon is treated as being on the Material Plane for all purposes (This has no effect on the dungeon master's ability's within).

Champion (Su)
Upon taking the first level of Dungeon Master, the dungeon master gains the services and companionship of a Champion. The Champion has the same alignment as the dungeon master, and stats set by the Dungeon Masters level [Given in Table: Champion Stats] (The Dungeon Master may emulate a lower level for this purpose, and change this choice at any time). The Champion cannot leave the Dungeon, but is capable of going anywhere within. If the Champion is killed in any fashion, it resurrects itself in 1 hour at the location of its death. The body need not be intact for this power to work. The Champion can change form at will, but must be a Medium sized creature. When changing form, the Champion can choose an alignment for their disguise. Any attempts to detect their alignment while disguised will reveal this chosen alignment. The Champion knows any languages known by the dungeon master.

{There will be a table here once I come up with all the stats. For now here is the stats for a level 1-2 dungeon master:
CR:1
Size:Medium
Initiative:+2
HP:15
Speed:30 ft.
AC:13
Attack:+2 Melee (1d6+1), +1 Ranged (1d4, range 30 ft)
Saves:Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2
Alignment:Same as Dungeon Master}

Quick Passage (Su)
A Dungeon Master of at least 2nd level can, once per day (increasing as levels are gained), teleport himself, and a number of willing creatures equal to or less than his dungeon master level, to the location of his Gate as a spell-like ability. All creatures being transported must be within 5 feet of the dungeon master. Using this power takes one minute, plus one minute for every creature being transported (including the dungeon master). If the dungeon master has no Gate open, this power cannot be used.

Sight (Ex)
A Dungeon Master of at least 2nd level can, at any time, scry the location of their gate. To do this the dungeon master needs a reflective surface of any kind. Anyone can see the image in the reflective surface being used.

Skim Knowledge (Su)
A Dungeon Master of at least 2nd level gains XP as if they were part of any adventuring party within their Dungeon. To gain this benefit, they must be watching the party via any means. This has no impact on the XP gained by that party.

Spread Rumor (Ex)
A Dungeon Master of at least 3th level can spread a rumor to the nearest town about the location of his Gate. Doing this takes 1 hour, during which time the dungeon master must be moving around the town in which he is spreading the rumor. This rumor will include the location of the Gate, and the relative difficulty of the dungeon. This rumor will be found by anyone attempting a Gather Information check. The rumor will last for at least one week, after which it will become a normal rumor, spreading and fading as normal.

Hand of Death (Sp)
A Dungeon Master of at least 4th level can, once per day per 2 dungeon master levels, instantly kill a creature as with the spell Finger of Death. The creature must be within the dungeon master’s Dungeon.

Rebirth (Ex)
A Dungeon Master of at least 6th will, if reduced to 0 or fewer health points, instantly teleport to a pre-designated room in his Dungeon and be restored to 1 health point. He will have to rest for one week for every health point this ability restored to him, during which time he cannot leave his dungeon. This power does not trigger if the dungeon master is reduced from positive HP to -10 HP in one hit, which results in death as usual.

Gift of Life (Sp)
A Dungeon Master of at least 7th level can, once per day per 2 dungeon master levels, resurrect a creature as the spell Resurrection. The remains must be within the dungeon master’s Dungeon. No material component is needed, but the casting time is 15 minutes.

Stop (Ex)
A Dungeon Master of at least 9th level can, once per day, halt time within his dungeon. While this is in effect, only the dungeon master can move or act. This effect lasts for 5 minutes (50 rounds) of the dungeon masters time or until he dismisses it.

(I am still working on the spell list. The first level spells are done. I will be putting them in the next post.)

qwertyu63
2012-01-17, 08:36 PM
Level 1 Dungeon Master spells
Summon Minion, Lesser: Create a weak minion.
Shift Wall: Create or destroy a 5' square section of wall.
Form Passage: Create a door through target wall.
Set Trap, Lesser: Create a low-level trap.
Conjure Loot, Lesser: Create lesser objects.
Hand of Fate, Lesser: Force one dice to be re-rolled.
Warp: Short range teleportation.

Lesser Summon Minion
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: DM 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One summoned creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell summons a mindless creature (of any creature type) at a location pointed at by the caster. It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions.

The spell conjures a creature of the casters design. No matter what the creature is it will have the following stats:

Lesser Minion
CR: 1/2
Size: Medium
Initiative: +1
HP: 5
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 11 (Touch AC: 10)
Attack: +2 Melee (1d6)
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +1
Alignment: Set by summoner.

Shift Wall
Conjuration (Creation)
Range: Touch
Effect: Create or destroy a 5’ square section of wall

This spell has two separate effects. The caster chooses which effect when the spell is started.

Create Wall
For the effect Create Wall, the caster places their hands on the floor and begins casting the spell. When cast in this fashion, the square on the combat grid just in front of the caster (which must be empty) is filled with a 5 foot square wall.

Destroy Wall
For the effect Destroy Wall, the caster places their hand on a wall and begins casting the spell. When cast in this fashion, the square on the combat grid filled by that wall is made empty, creating an open space 5 feet square.

Create Passage
Conjuration (Creation)
Effect: A door is created.

This spell creates a door, allowing passage through a wall. In order to cast this spell, the caster places their hand on a wall and begins casting the spell. The square on the combat grid filled by that wall is replaced by a door. At this time, the caster can make the door be locked, in which case the key must be one in the casters possession.

Lesser Set Trap
Conjuration (Creation)
Effect: A trap is created.

This spell creates a trap, chosen by the caster from the following list. The trigger is placed by the spell at this time. The caster gains no special protection from the trap. The available traps are as follows:

Basic Arrow Trap: CR 1; mechanical; proximity trigger; manual reset; Atk +10 ranged (1d6/×3, arrow); Search DC 20; Disable Device DC 20.
Camouflaged Pit Trap: CR 1; mechanical; location trigger; manual reset; DC 20 Reflex save avoids; 10 ft. deep (1d6, fall); Search DC 24; Disable Device DC 20.
Rolling Rock Trap: CR 1; mechanical; location trigger; manual reset; Atk +10 melee (2d6, rock); Search DC 20; Disable Device DC 22.

Lesser Conjure Loot
Conjuration (Creation)
Effect: A piece of loot is created.

This spell creates one item from the list provided with this spell. This has all the normal properties of any item of its type. The items available are as follows:

• Dagger (1d4)
• Quarterstaff (1d6)
• Sword, short (1d6)
• Longsword (1d8)
• Greatsword (2d6)
• Crossbow, light (1d6, range 80 ft.)
• Bolts, crossbow (10)
• Whip (1d3, reach)
• Leather armor (+2 AC)
• Chainmail (+5 AC)
• Shield, light wooden (+1 AC)
• Poor meal (3)
• Simple lock (DC 20)
• Torch (2)
• 200 silver pieces
• Wand of Magic Missile (1st level (1d4+1 dmg), 10 charges left)
• Potion of Cure Light Wounds (1d8)
• Key

Lesser Hand of Fate
Evocation
Components: V
Casting Time: Instant
Range: N/A
Effect: One dice is rerolled

This spell allows the caster to, with just a word, rewrite fate, forcing one dice to be rerolled. This spell must be cast just after the first roll, before the results of the roll play out. You must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll.

Warp
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Components: S
Casting Time: Instant
Range: Self
Effect: Caster teleports up to 50 feet.

This spell teleports the caster to any point within 50 feet of the caster’s choosing. If the target location is occupied, the spell fails.

qwertyu63
2012-01-18, 05:33 PM
{This space reserved for later use}

Dragon Star
2012-01-18, 05:51 PM
I'm sure I could give a much more detail analysis, but Im a little rushed at the moment. Two things that leap out at me are: that while a gate is open the dungeon is the material plan for ALL purposes, which includes the DMs abilitys. I assume that is not intentional. Second, there should be something in the requirements saying tha only an NPC should take this class. This will probably come up anyway as it is homebrew, but for the sake of completeness...

I'll be back later with a longer post.

qwertyu63
2012-01-18, 07:26 PM
I'm sure I could give a much more detail analysis, but Im a little rushed at the moment. Two things that leap out at me are: that while a gate is open the dungeon is the material plan for ALL purposes, which includes the DMs abilitys. I assume that is not intentional.

You assume correctly. The intent of that phrase was to allow powers such as Plane Shift to act properly.

Second, there should be something in the requirements saying tha only an NPC should take this class. This will probably come up anyway as it is homebrew, but for the sake of completeness...
I actually thought I typed that in there. Thanks for catching that.

Dumbledore lives
2012-01-18, 07:42 PM
First thing I noticed is that you said the dungeon was 500 ft. square, and in the table it says 500x500, which would be 25000 square ft. and it just goes up from there. This is frankly enormous. The tenth level ability gives you a dungeon that is almost a square mile, I don't know, it seems awful big, especially to construct a dungeon that big.

Next thing I don't see why this is restricted to NPCs only, I mean it would have limited use for PCs but my party just kind of stuck around in one town for a while, so establishing a dungeon and luring people there could work for quite an awesome thing.

The prerequisites are a little weird in any case, I mean 1st level arcane and divine, then grant your own progression? Seems like it should require some ranks in Knowledge (Architecture or Dungeoneering). 8 if you want standard prestige class entry, but less if you want this to be entered around level 2 or 3, which is what it is aimed at now.

I'll try to look at the other features later.

qwertyu63
2012-01-18, 08:00 PM
First thing I noticed is that you said the dungeon was 500 ft. square, and in the table it says 500x500, which would be 25000 square ft. and it just goes up from there. This is frankly enormous. The tenth level ability gives you a dungeon that is almost a square mile, I don't know, it seems awful big, especially to construct a dungeon that big.
Oh, that would be me failing at math things. I was looking at things in terms of squares, and to be honest when I put together those numbers my mind had 10' squares in mind. Thanks for spotting that, I'll go and rerun the numbers.

Next thing I don't see why this is restricted to NPCs only, I mean it would have limited use for PCs but my party just kind of stuck around in one town for a while, so establishing a dungeon and luring people there could work for quite an awesome thing.
I was more worried about someone doing something along the lines of taking 1 level of this, and using the place as a mobile base with infinite supplies. If I can think of a way to sort that issue out, then a player with levels in this would likely be quite entertaining. BTW, what you just described there (establishing a dungeon and luring people there) is the MO I had in mind for this class.

The prerequisites are a little weird in any case, I mean 1st level arcane and divine, then grant your own progression? Seems like it should require some ranks in Knowledge (Architecture or Dungeoneering). 8 if you want standard prestige class entry, but less if you want this to be entered around level 2 or 3, which is what it is aimed at now.

I didn't even know those skills existed (that's what I get for not reading the page on Knowledge). I will admit, I didn't put that much thought into the prereq's, I almost left that as a gap to fill in later. I think I will go with your idea here.

DracoDei
2012-01-25, 05:01 PM
Seen a PrC that seemed very close to this in theme... can't find the one I was thinking of, but did find this:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197462

DracoDei
2012-01-25, 05:09 PM
Seen a PrC that seemed very close to this in theme... can't find the one I was thinking of, but did find this:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197462

Should be useful to look at to see if anything in it is relevant for what you are doing... learn from the past and all that.