PDA

View Full Version : (3.5E)(Spells)Dwarven Spells

bloodtide
2012-01-18, 11:37 PM
So getting my dwarven game going, and as with all my games it's a high powered and high magic type game. Of course, dwarves get very little magic love in most books. So I'm setting out to change that.

Note: In my world dwarven divine magic and arcane sorcery magic is very common. So almost all dwarven spells are both divine and arcane. Also [Air], [Earth] and [Water] are standard spell energy types just like [Fire].

Animate Dirt
Transmutation [Earth]
Level: Clr 1, Drd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 25 feet
Effect: 1 pound of dirt/level
Duration: 1 hour/3 levels(max 5)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell animates dirt in the area. Only normal, natural dirt can be effected and the caster can move up to one pound of dirt a level anywhere within the spell range at a speed of 5 feet per round. The dirt cannot deal damage or affect the concentration of spellcasters.

This spell only animates dirt, so any other substance found mixed in with the dirt will not be effected and will remain afterwords.

Lore
This simple spell was created by Lova Brownbush, a dwarven cleric of Berronar Truesilver who lived in the small dwarven town of Kleyen in the Far Hills about 1300DR. She used this spell to do such tasks as put dirt into pots and boxes for planting. This spell was found to be very useful for many farming tasks and the spell quickly spread. Veneroa Rellupon, a human cleric of Chauntea, was the first non dwarf to learn this spell and she quicky spread the spell among those of her faith.

Stepping Stones
Conjuration(Creation) [Earth]
Components: V, S, MDF
Range: Close
Effect: 1 stone per level
Duration: 1 round/level
Spell Resistance: No

This spell conjures up a single stone roughly the size of the caster's foot. One stepping stone is created for each level of the caster. The stones may be placed by the caster as they wish, but all stones must rest on a solid surface. Other people and creatures may use the stones for as long as they exist. Anyone standing on the stones when the spell's duration ends or they are dismissed by the wizard, will fall to the ground.

The arcane material component is a single piece of stone.

Lore
This spell was created by the dwarven priest Dulgan Silverlode in 1177DR. Dulgan was a wandering adventurer cleric of Vergadain active in much of the Inner Sea. After one encounter where the stout dwarf fell into a cold stream in the Dalelands, he created this spell to help him get across streams and rivers dry. Dulgan shared the knowledge of this spell with several dwarfs while he was alive, and it became at least an uncommon spell for much of dwarven kind.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-18, 11:38 PM
I strongly strongly vote we get some Dwarf Paladin spells out of this! Those are two separate entities that don't get enough splat love, combined in all the flavor!

Zaydos
2012-01-19, 12:02 AM
I like these spells.

While I can't think of an adventuring use for the first one it seems like dwarves would have use for it often enough in their non-adventuring days. A nice touch of verisimilitude.

As for the second: how far apart do the stones have to be to walk across them normally? Also it's a shame that they have to be on a firm surface as that makes it so that you can't use them to get across water which would seem to be their most intuitive use.

I like the touch with lore entries; if you want some more dwarven spells I might have some on my computer that I made when I first started homebrewing (long before I found these forums). They'd probably need some balance work (as a note I do not trust my teenage self to have a sense for game balance).

Centric
2012-01-19, 02:37 AM
A nice start on a worthy goal. I imagine the first spell also being somewhat useful for, say, gold prospectors, since it moves only dirt away, a little like a seive.

I'll have to second Zaydos' point about the "firm surface" clause. Isn't the point of the spell to create firm surfaces? Currently, it might be used to make easy handholds on a wall for climbing, wall-mounted cloak hangers, and for putting under the legs of that really heavy table when you don't want to scuff up the floor. Perhaps at a certain caster level, the spell may be used on surfaces such as gravel and mud, then water, then air?

bloodtide
2012-01-19, 09:00 PM
Holzon's Stepping Stones
Conjuration(Creation) [Earth]
Level: Clr 2, Drd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Target: 1 stone per level
Duration: 1 round/level
Spell Resistance: Yes

As the spell Stepping Stones, except each stone levitates above the ground.

Lore-This spell is an improvement over the spell Stepping Stones, created by Holzon Waywalker. He found the original spell of little use crossing such obstacles as deep water streams, so he created this slight improvement. Holzon, a dwarven sorcerer, kept this spell to himself and was never know to share it with another. When Holzon died of natural causes, a single scroll of this spell was found with his possessions by the dwarven cleric of Moradin Koh Honordigger. Koh prayed and developed the divine version of this spell and allowed others to copy the scroll.

Gravel Footsteps
Conjuration(Creation) [Earth] [Curse]
Level: Clr 1, Sor/Wiz 2, Pal 1
Range: Touch
Target: 1 creature touched
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Will negates

This spell puts the touched creature under a very specialized curse. Every time the effected creature takes a step they will find that they are constantly conjuring gravel beneath their foot. The gravel makes quite a noise when stepped on, giving a -4 to all move silently checks and makes the target easy to follow -4 to track DC and find -4 on hide checks. The gravel has no effect on combat.

Gravel conjured by this spell will remain for 1-4 days before vanishing. The curse bestowed by this spell cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell.

Lore-This spell was created by Ferduk Gravelgrinder, a dwarven paladin and of Moradin Soulforger, to keep track of non dwarfs visiting the dwarven city of Dalgon in Thunderholme in 980DR. Ferduk cast this curse on anyone he did not trust, and that was most non dwarves. It was quite common to see most visitors of the city effected by this spell. Ferduk kept this spell to himself, and was not known to share it with others. Once Ferduk passed away several copies of this spell fell into possession of his daughter, Tika Gravelgrinder. Tika was known to share the spell, rarely with paladins she felt worthy of her father. This spell remained a dwarven spell and is used almost exclusively by dwarven spellcasters. It is not unknown to find a person of another race with this spell, but it is very rare.

Intimidating Presence
Transmutation
Level: Brd 2, Pal 2
Components: V, s
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: none
Spell Resistance: no

Your speech becomes more forceful, your general bearing more menacing. You gain a +30 bonus on Intimidate checks made to influence others.

Lore-no lore for this spell, but I like the idea of a paladin putting 'the fear of god' into folks and this spell would be a natural for a dwarven paladin.

I strongly strongly vote we get some Dwarf Paladin spells out of this! Those are two separate entities that don't get enough splat love, combined in all the flavor!

I just so happens that one of my players is in fact a dwarven paladin, so there are a couple spells for them.

Cieyrin
2012-01-20, 10:34 AM

Dwarven Paladins already have Silverbeard. :smalltongue:

There are also quite a few dwarven spells scattered throughout the books, like Races of Eberron's Furnace Within, Races of Stone's Earth Hammer (Paladin spell!), Races of Faerun's Shape Metal, etc. So I don't think they're any more under-served than the other races besides humans.

Pallys have quite a bit of splat support spellwise as well, so I don't think they're quite wanting, either. Do they have as much as full casters? No, that's not the Pally focus (Notice the lack of Mystic Ranger equivalent?). Not that I'm saying these aren't nice, just that it's not correct to perceive that they have no support.

Speaking of the spells, Intimidating Presence may want to note that it doesn't help with Demoralizing, like Glibness doesn't help with Feinting.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-20, 10:41 AM
A +30 untyped bonus is pretty freaking high, I would suggest making it a competence bonus just so it's not as easy to stack with other things.

Cieyrin
2012-01-20, 12:16 PM
A +30 untyped bonus is pretty freaking high, I would suggest making it a competence bonus just so it's not as easy to stack with other things.

Glibness is typeless, not sure why Intimidating Presence needs it, as you're pretty much guaranteed to cause pants wetting wherever you go.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-20, 12:40 PM
Glibness is typeless, not sure why Intimidating Presence needs it, as you're pretty much guaranteed to cause pants wetting wherever you go.

Ah, my bad. I was pretty sure glibness had a competence bonus, must have failed my Spot check when I glanced at the SRD.

bloodtide
2012-01-23, 01:18 AM
Dwarven Drink
Transmuation
Level: Brd 2, Clr 2, Drd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Target: 1 gallon/level
Duration: Instantaneous
Spell Resistance: no

This spell transforms any liquid non magical liquid into a fiery, harsh distillation of potent liquor, known as Dwarf Spirits. Imbibing a good mug full of Dwarf Spirits is treated as an Ingested Poison, DC18 1d3Con 1d3Wis and 1d3 intelligence damage. For each additional mug drank within an hour, increase the DC by one. When a character's Int or Wis falls to zero they fall Unconsciousness. In extreme cases, the Con damage is the risk of genuine intoxication. Swallowing a mouthful instantly destroys monster and animal internal parasites and their eggs and the drinker is rendered immune to all of these perils for a 24-hour-period. Further, the Spirits are highly flammable and if ignited in this situation (the shattered vial is followed by a hurled torch or similar means of ignition), the Spirits will burn for 1d4+1 rounds and cause the creature struck to suffer an additional 1d4 points of damage per round aflame.

The material component is any small part of any plant that can be used to brew a liquor or like beverage.

The Dwarf Spirit's made by this spell taste very 'bland' and 'flat' to any dwarf. Still, it's better then water....

Lore-A truly ancient dwarven spell. It's creator is unknown and it has been known to dwarven kind for centuries. Legend says this spell was created by the first dwarf to travel outside of the dwarven lands to a place with no strong drinks(most probably some elven land). Dwarfs, in general, never use this spell as a substitute for real brewing, but only for those emergency when a dwarf needs a strong drink and does not have access to one.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-23, 01:20 AM
No! It's a spell that gets people super drunk and bards can't cast it! :smallfrown:

Also, what is the Material component?

Cieyrin
2012-01-23, 12:12 PM
No! It's a spell that gets people super drunk and bards can't cast it! :smallfrown:

Also, what is the Material component?

I would assume the drink being transformed into the Dwarven Spirit.

Also, I also agree that bards not being able to cast it is a shame. :smallconfused:

Eldest
2012-01-23, 03:42 PM
Quite. The bard needs to be able to make booze for his (non dwarf) friends!

And I think the material component is the liquid which is turned into the booze. Could this spell turn lava into booze, btw?

bloodtide
2012-01-23, 10:21 PM
It does make sense that Dwarven Drink would be a bard spell. After all, I'm sure that any dwarf that can cast spells and travels to non-dwarven lands will likely know this spell.

bloodtide
2012-02-08, 11:48 PM
Dwarf Reek
Necromancy [Curse]
Range:Touch
Effect: one creature
Duration: 1 hour/3 levels(max 5)(D)
Saving Throw: Fort Neg

This spell makes a person touched smell like a dwarf, but not just any dwarf, as it gives off the smell of a dwarf after a days long day of hard work. A lot of sweat mixed with dirt, metal, blood and countless other smells. The aura of smells noticeable for up to 30 feet depending on conditions. The smell is disgusting, and gives a -2 to all charisma based checks.
The smell can not be washed away, and even stromg perfumes can not mask it. The Reek will draw any insects or creatures usually attracted by strong smells, and will be left behind for those that track by smell...
Although normal means will not dissipate the odor before the spell elapses, a Remove Curse or may do so. The caster may also end the spell at any time. Once the Dwarf Reek has ended, the lingering effects will remain in clothing and equipment until they are cleaned.
The material component is a bit of dwarven hair.

LoreThis spell was created by Bolgonar Hardboot in 1044 DR when he was acting as a scout during a small border war with some elves. Assigned to a small unit that was sent out to harass the elven advance, Bolgonar and his unit were wildly successful at striking and then blending back into the rocks. After one too many comments from some elven prisoners about 'dwarven dirty fighting' and 'clean elven fighting', Bolgonar created this spell to use on the elven prisoners. It's use quickly spread among dwarven spellcasters.

Eldest
2012-02-09, 11:37 AM
Maybe have the charisma penalty be ignored by some dwarves at the DM's opinion?